Speaker 1: Two promoted teams and Kisse Stahmer are slipping down. Yet Huddersfield fans all have a big frown. They are the ones in the wooden spoon Spot Saints and our top of the lot Lee are getting their acting gear for all the Ghostly and Johnna here. Welcome to the twenty second episode of Super League three sixty a Prime, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league. My name is Lee. Can't get me word right, Addison. It's a Prome podcast and I'm John Davidson. If it was on Amazon Prime. It's on Amazon I think, so it could be. Yeah, I mentioned kir Starmer. Then you looks like you're going to get your seventh prime minister in ten years or something. John, So, I don't know if you're putting your hat in the ring.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting my hat in the ring.
Speaker 3: It's kind of similar to as you would know what's happened in well in Australia all back when it was you know, rather than then Gillard and then right again and then Abbot and then what was it Turnbullne and Morrison and then.
Speaker 1: I say exactly what I say when it comes to rugby league coaches and football coaches and sports coaches in general. When you have to change boss so much, it says a lot more about the recruiters rather than the recruited. I'm a coach in Australia. John is a journalist in the UK. Please read the description or listen to old pods to make our introduction shorter. This podcast is also being aired on the Ashes Rugby League Rugby League Coach podcast platforms as well as the Rugby League Coach YouTube too, and if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. Also thanks to Rugby League dot Com. I do want to say before I start those who listen to the Rugby League Coach podcast just had a week off from doing that, just to give myself a few hours. John, Let's go through the table. What am I going to see when I look at this Super League table? John?
Speaker 2: Uh, you're going to see? Well, I haven't checked it lightly.
Speaker 3: Begin I say Wigan obviously on the on the march and the rise, big win over leads, okay, ask quick past the least so they're definitely.
Speaker 2: Moving up and a win for the wire and.
Speaker 1: Yeah I never lost for to lose A big win for win for Cass as well, So k Are and Wakefield Sorry and Warrington are the two teams that have played one less game, so I'll get that straight before we start. Saint Helen's the top of the ladder. Everyone else has played eleven games. Saints are top with eighteen, Leeds and Warrington are in second and third respectively on sixteen. Who k are in fourth with fourteen. Two other teams are on fourteen. That's Wakefield in fifth and Wigan in sixth. Two teams on ten Lee in seventh and Catalans in eight. Hull, lef C, Bradford Bulls, Castleford Tigers are the three teams in ninth, tenth and eleventh respectively on eight points, and York and to Lose are in twelfth and thirteenth on six points respectively. Holding up everybody else at the bottom of the ladder on four points is the unleashed Huddersfield Giants. Before we go any further, a couple of weeks ago we read out a tweet from someone that accused Neil Holding, who played three hundred and sixty games, mostly for Saints but also Rochdale, Aldham and Bradford played for Great Britain on four occasions, two in the early eighties. It was a great little half somebody sent in a tweet. It was part of our questions. We asked for questions and this was the third thing that was on there. Just to put it in some kind of context. We literally just read it out. I laughed because it was preposterous. Basically, he didn't like the fact that that tweet was written John, and he gave me a call. We had a very fair conversation. So it's an apology from me for reading it out. Quite frankly, I just read it out and didn't have time to filter it. And yes, so my apologies to Nil holding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I made a tongue in cheek a comment about Tommy Robinson. But anyone who wants to know about Tommy Robinson, obviously he's a criminal, and you can find out about all these conditions. It's not actually his real mind, but you can go online and find those out. And yeah, I guess we'll move on.
Speaker 1: Rugby League tweet of the Week Steve Mascord said, people have shorter attention spans. I get it will origin be like this now. I know this is Super League three sixty, but we do mention the NRL. John, I was at Magic Round at the weekend. I was bored out in my brains. I went on Friday.
Speaker 2: You hadn't drag enough, had you.
Speaker 1: True? If I want to watch touch football, so touch rugby, I'll watch touch rugby. It's awful. I don't like it. There's no jeopardy between attack and defense. The game looks like a game of rugby league for ten minutes and then it totally opens up. What I did notice is I've not been to Magic Round for five years. I think it will at least be another five years based on this before I go again. Only went because I didn't have to pay for the ticket, and the crowd is a lot younger, so they're obviously doing something right. And people have automatically linked the faster rock speeds as the reason people are happier with with rugby league in Australia, and that's something else that's happened in Britain. And this is why it's an important conversation. But it's a bit more complicated than that. John, Yes, mention the NRL, but also link it back to Super League. This faster rock that we are seeing in rugby league at the minute, what impact is it having?
Speaker 3: Jeez lely, that's scientifical, and to answer how long have we got? Look to tie it back to what you originally said, Yeah, I mean, I think it's common knowledge that people these days, younger people have shorter attention spans and that's down to technology and social media and dunal screening and sometimes three screening. I don't think necessarily rugby league's popularity in Australia is down to the faster rucks of the rules changes. I think that's down to the thought that the ball in play more often means more entertainment, which equals more evals. There may be some validity to that, but there's definitely I don't know. Maybe you could call it the culture war, you know between the traditionalists light yourself and some other people on the sport, and then there's obviously a lot of people would feel the same way as you do. I do get it, and I don't want to see touch footy either between you know, the way the game has always been played to what we have at the moment. But the impact, yeah, I mean, I think I think a lot of a lot of injuries, a lot of lopsided score lines. I don't think it certainly had an impact in super I don't think the impact has been as great as been in the NRL because I was at Wakefield on Friday night, and why you could say, oh, well, you know there was forty eight ammiments and points and Wakefield just went through Catlands, But a lot of that was down to just how bad cut Lands were as well. They effectively give it, gave up. So yeah, I don't do I answer your question a long way. I don't think Origin will probably be like that. I think they will, like they always red for Origin, don't let a bit more physicality go. They let a few more hard shots go, and it is kind of an old fashioned usually more of an arm wrestle.
Speaker 2: That's probably my.
Speaker 1: Prediction also, John, I mean, if the referees have to do that, I mean, one pattern I'm seeing over the last few weeks is if scores blow out on a Thursday and Friday. On Saturday, all of a sudden, the games are a bit closer, and I can't help but think that the referees are giving less six games, They're allowing more latitude at the rug. The games were definitely slower on Saturday. The field was boggier because it's been raining a lot here in Brisbane. Yes, so they're obviously playing around with the game. They've played around with the game in England to the point where last year it was WrestleMania. This year it's now touched football and no wonder people get confused and this fake engineering of the product that we're trying to do. How about we just reward the tackle again. I mean, I'm a guide in the world rugby league person. I can tell you that these opinions positive or negative about rugby league, they're actually not related to age. They are related to people's taste of sport. And I think I would there's so many people in their early twenties that I've heard say they don't like the game at the moment, and using an analogy, I would say, this is like two boxers being in a ring. One of them has to wear heavy gloves, the other one can go bare knuckle. That's the sort of analogy I would come up with, because the balance between attack and defense has gone has gone completely skew with the other way.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Now you did say earlier that catalans are poor, etc. Etc. It's all part of the same recipe. Right. So if your preseason, if your recruitment, your recruitment for years, quite frankly, has been geared towards a certain type of game, and then all of a sudden the game changes at the drop of a hart. If you're a club that has a coach, for example, that has never coached before, which the Catalans work had, even if the coach has coached for twenty years, doesn't mean they're alive to change is very quickly. It could creep up on them before they behored they have chance to change. So there's so many things that's impacting the game all around the world, and the big indicator in England is the injuries because there's a shorter preseason than there is in the NRL. In the NRL, I think it's a fine line. In the NRL, I think it's too long and arduous. In Super League it's it's it's not long enough.
Speaker 2: And you mean the other way around.
Speaker 3: No, you said you said the NRL the season's pre season our preseason.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yeah, my mistake.
Speaker 1: Listening skills, John. The preseason in the NRL is longer than our duous too ardus. I believe too long. The preseason in Super League is the opposite, and you're seeing the athletic response quite frankly, Lee's laugh this week. You know, the super League website is not secure, so when I try and get on it on my laptop, I have to go through the security thinking on my laptop because it says this could be imitating another website.
Speaker 3: I do remember just a story in December. It was around Christmas or ease, and I think that the Super League website had either been hacked over down for a couple of days.
Speaker 2: At that point.
Speaker 1: So I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm not a I'm not a web hosting guru or anything, but yeah, I would imagine that it's probably something done on the cheap.
Speaker 1: John I'm a one man business band and my three websites that I almost all secure. That's all I'll say.
Speaker 2: The Sultan Steve Jobs.
Speaker 1: Johnny's tweets of the week. How many times do we need to check the same thing over and over? Madness discuss Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that was from the Hottest Fields and Helen's Game. Now.
Speaker 3: I don't generally like to be critical of referees or video referees or officials because we all make mistakes and you know no one is perfect, but some of the video refereeing this season in Super Bigue has been diabolical and the display on Thursday night, I mean it was a shot. Is that a fair word. I mean it was a pretty sharp game anyway. I mean Huddersfield were absolutely dreadful. Lola here to dropouts, he put straight out. They were just really really bad. I mean Huddersfield they are a championship team in disguise. They should be playing in the championship. Put that aside. The Hardersfield came back into the second half and had a real dig but the video referee there was one try I can't remember who scored it, but it was effectively came off the head of this and Hell's played from a kick and Hubs was scored. You could see it the first replay, but he went back and checked everything about three times and it was took about three minutes. You just what are you doing? Like, there's got to be a time or all this. There's got to be someone And just to be clear, the bunker system in the RAL was very different a super league. They have more cameras, they have more money, better facilities in the NRL, but Super league. There's got to be an impeticisy. Okay, we need a decision quickly here and if you can't make a decision, then go back to the rest cars because same with the captain's challenge is taking an age and there are things that the viewer at home can spot quickly and go okay, yeah that's a try, that's not a try, and officials seem scared to make a decision. And it is weird because there's hardly any media in the UK in British rugula league, and the criticism is really social media and fans. But even then it's not you know, it's not Liverpool or Arsenal, is it? So yeah, I just they just seem scared to make a decision. It's really tough to watch.
Speaker 1: I have the misfortune of studying both the Bunker and in the NRL and the Super League version of it. And you are right, it's far too long. Some burd has made a comment and we reiterated it last week. You games of rugby league ending sometimes thirty minutes later than they should and that impacts people's days, particularly if it's a night fixture. I mean, can you imagine some of the times people are getting home twenty minutes can make a hell of a difference at night time, particularly if you've got to go over the Pennines. And I just think Rugby League needs to get a grip of it and they need to put some kind of time limit on it. Yes, they don't have the camera angles, but they're never going to have the camera angles until things change. So you've got what you've got, Just make a decision and get on with it. Johnny's jab this week you want to talk about the participate the partition fee that Catalans and to lose have to pay, and I suppose we will lean on the Catalans performance and what you wrote this week as well well with it. Well we're here, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I put out an opinion piece hours ago that you can read for free online at my Patreon. Basically, it's a long read, a bit of a deep dive on the can Lands, their future and how they're going this season. And there are a lot of factors in it. But one of the big factors is this nie million quid that they have to pay every year for all the teams from England and the match offishals to fly over for their games. Now, this has impacted them heavily. They've cut back on their salary cap spending and I think they're looking at their coaching situation. They've also cut back on what they're spending on coaches, and according to people that I've spoken to, you know, the way they travel to the UK in terms of when they fly, where they fly from, where they stay in the UK, they travel time, you know from you know, if they flying to Manchester and then they have to travel the whole long game or whatever. All that's been impacted as well because they're looking to do it as cheap as they can. I just think basically it's an absolute joke that they have to pay even though they are unequal. They should be an equal member of the competition. And the same is for to lose, and so it's even harder for to lose because they've only got half the central distribution this year. But I just think it's it's an absolute joke that they're having to do this and it is competing, you know, with one arm behind their back. And I think we're really seeing, particularly Friday night, we're seeing the results of that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't think they're a hell's chance of making the top six this season. They didn't make it last season and from where they were a couple of years ago, you know, at Old Trafford at Wembley, it's really disappointing.
Speaker 1: As soon why are they being made to pay this money?
Speaker 3: But they may have been made to pay the money because there is a certain number of English clubs who think, why have we got them in the competition? What do they bring? They've not brought in a TV deal. The French national team is not performing particularly well. You could argue it's gone backwards and they don't bring any away fans, so it's purely kind of you know, it's one way perspective and they don't really think that the French should be paying their way in the same is that the Sky deal. You know, Sky isn't going to get any more money from people watching the sport in France because it's the different broadcaster, so you know why they should have to pay their way in the competition. But it's just a completely unfair perspective for you know, it's not equal competition, is it. Yeah, And I think we're seeing that now because they are really struggling on and off the field. I mean there was reports in min Australia at the start of the year that Catalan's Dragons were looking for a buyer in Australia, you know, and I've heard some speculation recently that the owner, Bernard Gash, is looking to get out, is a bit fed up. And he's been there for twenty years. You know, people need to remember he's been like the Warriors in New Zealand have been one of the success stories that club. You know, how it's competed, how it's grown, and you know, we need to help the French.
Speaker 2: We need.
Speaker 3: France used to be you know, what was it in the seventies or the fifties or both. You know, they were one of the top nations in rugby league, you know, the Big three. And I don't think we can afford to let France with her on the vine. So at this point, you know, with the fact that the English game is running out of money, it's just a case of all right, well, well, you know they seem to have fat pockets, we'll take some more money out of theirs to distribute amongst ourselves.
Speaker 1: It's really sad that some English clubs turn their nose up at the Catalan and to Lose and anybody that's London and London to anybody that's not from the M sixty two corridor. Yeah, with some smart administration, I'm sure they could make plenty of money from to Lose and Catalans playing on TV. If if the Australian game can make money from Papua New Guinea and from New Zealand Warriors being in the competition, that I'm pretty sure the English game can do the same with some lateral thought. Also in terms of performance, we can we can be saying the Catalans are in all sorts right now, but they're still in eighth. I'd just like to remind those small sided, small minded individuals out there that right now, as things stand, the Catalans sit above all f C. Bradford Bulls, Cattle For Tigers, York Knights and Huddersfield Giants, who all sit in and around or not a million miles away from the M sixty two corridor. Indeed, To Lose are still above Huddersfield Giants, the birthplace of the game. So and I don't even go into the next division and have a look at so many of those clubs and that have had the benefit of being on rugby league's birth doorstep and are managing to mess up their administration so much. At their struggling to survive in the division below A too so below too so. This whole thing knocks me sick. John Catalans in particular have brought so much to Super League, so much to the Challenge Cup, so much to British rugby league in general. I do agree with you that a good France would be very good for rugby league in general too. There's there's something very attractive about a competition where more than one language is spoken, I think from from so many viewpoints and if certain people in rugby league can't see that then then I feel sorry for them quite frankly. And on that note, one of those clubs, Huddersfield are propping everybody up in the in the in the Super League table. Are they championship club in disguise?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you watch the game on on Thursday and you think that, and you know they're barely getting anyone to their games. The team's you know, struggling beyond belief in terms of like media profile, publicity, it's almost non existent. You know, their new coach who hasn't arrived yet, but you know he wasn't assistant the times, but he's a Q Cup coach. I'm not sure if you're aware of him laying your well.
Speaker 1: And Andy Jagger nineteen seventy seven asked the question to me. He said, hope you may be able to give an insight and honest assessment of Jim Lenehan and your next quod cheers all the best had a bit of a well. I don't know that much about him, quite frankly, so I did a little bit of research. Basically his coach for a long time, right, so, his coach for about twenty years. I think it is at levels that we can recognize. Burley, I think is his club, and he took over from rix Stone in his first incarnation. Rick Stone was successful with them, and then he took over and they weren't successful anymore. So I was having a look at this and thinking oh loo. But then he did end up back at Burley some years later and won the premiership at least once. So look, there's nothing to suggest that you have a dud and there's nothing to suggest that you've got the the best coach since Jesus was born either, So look, I can't say to Huddersfield fans based on what I've heard in my time in Australia or not heard, and what have looked at and what I'm looking at the levels, I can't sit here and say to Huddersfield fans everything's going to be fantastic. But he obviously impressed somebody enough in that organization to pip some other people. I mean, you broke a story a couple of weeks ago that the Cronola resistant was in the mix. There could be other factors. John So. I was offered a professional job in England ten years ago actually now, and everything was great until they told me how much was on offer in the contract.
Speaker 3: Well, my good that you mentioned that. My understanding with Daniel Holdsworth is that he knocked back the job. Now he was offered it, he knocked it back. I don't know why I offered it, why.
Speaker 2: He noted back.
Speaker 3: Sorry, I would presume financial reasons, but he was in the mix for that job. So I don't think Jim Anahan was the first pick. Make of that what you will, but look, I wish him all the best. I think it's a very difficult job and it's hard to see with hardestfield they need. You know, they've got a lot of players off contract. They really need to move a lot of players on. And I didn't make you know, look, we're already in May. You know this, this already players off contract for next season. You need to be getting deals now. But I think all the other clubs are very active. So you know, you look at York and Cartleford who are in similar positions, have made some big signings or are about to. So yeah, they really need to pull their finger out because I think they are a championship club in waiting Huddersfield.
Speaker 2: And maybe.
Speaker 3: Maybe going down to the championship could be a good thing for them. You know, they've done it before and come back. I did interview Tony Smith last week. I had a couple of hours chatting with him and that was fascinating and he obviously his first senior gig was at Hardisfield and he got well, he got them relegated, but he took them down and then he took them back up.
Speaker 2: But it was.
Speaker 3: Funny that he was telling me a story about he flew over for a job interview and he paid his own way and he never got that rembursed by the club, which I thought was funny, but you could say, look at least he showed, he showed how keen he was because he paid his own AFO over from Sydney where he was assistant coach in Paramatta and he had a successful stint at Huddersfield. So we'll see what the future brings for the unleashed Giants.
Speaker 1: Where will Brody Croft play next year? He's going to Warrington.
Speaker 2: I think I think it's pretty much done. Yeah, I think it's pretty much done.
Speaker 3: It's quite interesting because obviously George Williams is leaving. They needed a half replacement. They've got you and Owen there, They've got Leon Hayes, they've got Mark Snead, but I think they needed a more experienced half and they have gone for a big name. When I spoke to officials at Warrington a while ago, they denied Brodie Croft as then they were talking to him at present and played down the look of replacement. But they've been very quiet and I think they've got that done. And it's also interesting because I think there was some st George of a war interest. There was interest from Perth and I think Leeds did want to keep him. But it's another play leaving Leeds. There are so many players leaving Leeds at the end.
Speaker 2: Of this year.
Speaker 3: You really look at the recruitment at Leedsers and you think, what the hell are they doing? You know, Harry Newman, James McDonald, mclire, Ledski going to Perth, Croft going to Warrington, Ryan Hall. I think it's probably likely to retire. You know, they also need to pull their fingers out because they're losing I think yeah, four or five of their first thirteen, which you know, particularly some important positions there.
Speaker 1: Ian Bleede is there isn't he as the director of whatever and rugby? To be fair at Salford, I think he was an integral part in them getting some cut price players and putting the team together to succeed under a couple of different coaches. So I would assume they have a plan. I don't think it's I don't think this is a ship that's got holes in the struggling to fill the holes.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I think in terms of Salford, I think the likes of Poor Roley and Paul King and Ian Ortson before that had a very big part in those signings as well. And if they do have a plan, you really have to wonder what it is because they let Jacksonfield go, who was a half back and obviously son of a cub Ledge and he's been killing at Wakefield Men. McCormick is another one, a local junior who's going to Wakefield and Cameron Smith is going at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Who's another local junior who.
Speaker 3: Obviously the system the local juniors count less on the cap, so it's obviously a benefit to have those local juniors.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's it's quite weird when you look at Leeds.
Speaker 3: You know a number of their signings that have made Mattouiti is on loan playing at holl of Cea. He can't get into the Leeds team. Ethan O'Neil they signed in the off season, he can't get in the Leeds team. He was online at l FC. So we don't know what's happened with Brad Arthur either. He could be gone, so you kind of look at it. I look at it this way for Leeds. I think this year is their year if they're going to win something at Old Trafford, because I think like next year, I wouldn't say they're going to be rebuilding next year. But I don't think they're going to be as strong unless they make some very very big signings.
Speaker 1: York have made some resignings and they're also after a player from the NRL.
Speaker 3: Yes, I broke the story that they'd resigned to Mattafa, they full back who's been very very good this season, so that's that's a key retention for him. And I've also re signed David No Filuma and Cody Hunter No for Luma obviously longer at the West Tigers. He was horrendous at Salford and then resurfaces that Halifax did well and he seems to have, you know, got his ocus back, got his head right and he's doing really well at York. And the other one another story that I broke was Can mckinness. Now apparently talks with Perth for Cam mc guinness have broken down, and I think York are with a very good chance of signing him, and I think that'd be a massive sign. I'm a big fan of Cam mcinness as a player. You just look at his face and he's someone who who bleeds on the pitch, doesn't.
Speaker 2: He like he He just plays with a lot of heart.
Speaker 3: And passion and I think he's the kind of guy you can build a club around. You know, he's a leader, he sets the tone for a squad, and yeah, I think he'd be a fantastic market for signing for York if they can, if they can pull it off for you know, a top professional.
Speaker 1: Thirty two years old at present.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I think I still think, you know, if you signed him for two years, I think he can get good value out of him for two years. He's obviously not going to spend five years there, but I think in terms of the short term, I think I think he could be a really good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you've mentioned the shorts term because in Master's Rugby League you get different color shorts depending on your age, and so maybe that needs to be brought in for Super League. With all the signings that the Trumpeting of London got a new owner on board.
Speaker 2: They've diverted.
Speaker 3: I think some of the ownerships said there's an Andrew Gray who is a Brisbane based entrepreneur. I'm not really that sure about his background, but effectively they have sort of moved around the ownership. I think it's I think Gary Heatherington has twenty percent and then the Lockier Grant Weshll Consortium has the Romani eighty and then they've sold part of that to Andrew Gray, So there's some changes in London. They've moved into I think it's London Irish's training complex. That's where their women and their reserves are going to play. And they've made some highers off the field. So yeah, they're geary up. I mean I think the key bid is they don't know what division they're going to be next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's a massive thing. I mean, if you think about the conversation we've just had about the South of France, those those Landingers, you know that you can assume that anybody with xenophobic thoughts is going to have similar thoughts about those, and particularly if those Londoners have some Australians thrown in as well. And depending on how conversations went at Magic Round this weekend will depend one way or the other in terms of sorry, it will influence one way or the other where London had end up. I would imagine, and I think when you do look at the Super League and you look at the ladder, the way things are panning out right now, there's so much that makes sense when you consider that somebody in Australia looked at the Super League and said we need to bring it back down to ten teams because of basically the relative strength of everybody from one to eight nine and then potentially the strength of London when you consider the investment that's taken place as well. So it's such a big thing John, and there'll be an element of statis I think until Leeds know what Brad Arthur is doing, until London know what the NRL are doing, and so many players and clubs will be in that that static mold. Until such timers they can move forward based on these decisions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Steve Mascold wrote a story from quite adjacent demetri So they've had England internationals reach out to them say they want to join the Broncos, the London Broncos. But the NRL isn't the only way London could go up. Obviously with the iron g criteria, they could replace a harders field. I don't know how the schools are exactly at the moment, but obviously London are going to go up in performance on the field, They're going to go up in finances, They're going to go up in the fandom area because they've been streaming their games on YouTube and they've had an increase in intendances and social.
Speaker 2: Media views and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's going to be an interesting few months with the NRL. Who knows what's going to happen there, Lee, Yeah, who knows. We hopefully we'll have some news in the next few days, but I think there's no certainty that an investment or a partnership is going to be secured. Yeah, I wouldn't betting my life on I put it that way.
Speaker 1: Maybe the RFL should hire the Witness general manager as this new CEO because he's just left Witness. What's going on at Witness? Things are changing?
Speaker 3: Yes, I believe a bit of an exclusive. I believe Tim Holmes will be leaving the Witness Vikings.
Speaker 1: I think they managed to coach him.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: It's a small world Rugby leasion. I think I think they're going to announce it this week Witness. I have been chasing Damn for comment. But yeah, there's a few changes off the field. What are the directors? Andy harribin Or I probably pronounced his name correctly, apologies.
Speaker 2: He departed a while ago.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think I think there's some some off field things going on at Witness. I think there is some speculation they'll be coming back there spending next season. They're players spending and obviously, look, it's hard times in the Championship, isn't it. We've talked a lot about the Championship in this podcast, you know, Featherston, Salford, Halifax, North Wales. You can just go on and on. So the Championship this season is a very weird and odd. Division teams don't play each other same amount of times. They sometimes they don't play for a month. I just there was a press release out just about the eighteen ninety five Cup, the semi finals, and I think the finals on a Monday night. I don't know if that's the type on the press release, but I'm sure they said that the final is gonna be on the thirty always on a Monday night, So maybe Monday dot Fuddy is back.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's the.
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll play it in black and white.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 1: Is the game in a complete state of flux or what is it? Is it a pivotal point because wherever you look at the game, be it the Championship, be it the lower echelons of Super League, be it the NRL involvement, and the other one I want to bring in is the England side. I mean, it's such a pivotal year for England as a as a nation in rugby league. We've had the demise of Wales, Scotland and Ireland over the last two decades and you quite frankly, it looks like England have slipped off a pedestal or two as well. So now they have a new coach in Brian McDermott, who's only been appointed for this tournament essentially, and already he's probably lost the half back George Williams. Is nothing to suggest that he would have picked him. And also a staff member who's been on board for a long time has been moved on too, told us about that, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, and he's made a lot of changes to the back room staff. Chris Barron, the head of performance has gone he works at Wigan. Then the analyst there a Wigan whose name escapes me, he's also left.
Speaker 2: And there has been reports that.
Speaker 3: Oh, Paul Wellens and I'm trying to think who was the other coach was Shaw and Lacklan But yeah, basically Brian mcdervert's come in. He's kind of what the slate clean with the England set up. A lot of those people had been there for fourteen years or you know, at least at least the Sean Wayne area, if not before that, so he wants to clean slate.
Speaker 2: Brian McDermott, he did.
Speaker 3: He did actually say in his first press so that George Williams was going to be his captain. So you know, my understanding is that George is very, very unlikely to play in the World Cup. He not had his surgery yet and it's very major surgery, could be a five six month recovery, so you know that I think that's a blow.
Speaker 2: For England.
Speaker 3: You know, I think Maddie Lee's I can't remember if made Le's has been ruled out for the World Cup or not, but obviously picked up that serious injury against Wigan and the Challenge Cup semi final lot last weekend. So England's not in fairness and we saw this last year with Maddy Ashton and a few others Victor Bradley. England's not strong enough to be able to go into a World Cup or an ashes missing a couple of top twenty.
Speaker 1: Players, let's go through the side. David Ray. David Wright wrote to me on.
Speaker 2: My room David Wae is he coaching?
Speaker 1: Bring David Right what wrote to me on my Rugby League coach Socials, which is at Rugby lea coach by the way, and he said, this is a question for your three hundred and sixty podcast. If you were three sixty potters, sorry, if you were the England coach, what would your seventeen be for the end of the year. So I quickly looked at the last team that England put out, So we're going to literally go through it. John aj Brimson was the fallback? Is the fallback better than aj Brimson that we can put there based on what you've seen? Not in kind former you? No, the wings were Joe Burgess and Tom Johnston. Joe Burgess will be about forty two, won't bother it'll be And.
Speaker 2: If you're picking now, mine would be Dom Young and Mary Ashton. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well Dom Young was in the side. I think did we get injured for that week?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So Dom Young, Matty Ashton, Herbie and Harry Newman were the centers. I mean Herbie, yes, who else? Because Harry Euman's not being parried playing much.
Speaker 3: Newman couldn't get in the Leeds team until this weekend and has not been playing particularly well, so I'd probably had Jake Wardle in of herring him.
Speaker 1: The halves were George Williams and Harry Smith, so I definitely would like Jake Connor based on current form, and Marky Lewis. Okay, mikey Lewis was on the bench. Props were Mike mckeekon Matty Lees and on the bench was Alex Walmsley, Morgan Smith's and mikol Ageletski, so I'd say that's five middles. I don't know if I don't know if the modern game and the way it's been refereed in Australia which you soon will translate to the World Cup, I don't know if you need three props.
Speaker 3: Quite frankly, yeah, I think I think Luke Thompson definitely deserves to be in there. I think if you're putting Victor Radley at thirty and you'd have Morgan Knoles in there, obviously complain middle. I think Morgan Smithy's would definitely be in there, might be nickin I think did a good job, probably not been as informed as he was last year, but I still think he's probably a good good shout for the twenty four minutes. But in terms of other props, I think probably Alex Warmsley. No Aledski's an interesting one. Yeah, I think, yeah, I'm just trying. I think who else has been, you know, whether you're looking at Nathan Havard or who else is out there, But I think Luke Thompson is the big one who missed the Ashes who were definitely being being my team anyway.
Speaker 1: Jez Liton started at nine, but I'll be honest, from a coaching perspective, he is a real liability in the defensive line early when there is a bit of rugby league for ten minutes before the game starts going sideways. So what hooker can we have that's a bit more solid defensively for at least the first fifteen minutes or so before Jess Liton comes on. Because I would definitely have Jess Litton in that seventeen I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, I think on form at the moment, you'd be picking brand o'neils just starting nine and then bringing jes.
Speaker 2: Just Litton on for the either.
Speaker 1: The last thirty or the last twenty back role Callum Watkins, who again I mean he's not young anymore. Kaipe Is Paul I think would be a lock in the side, and Morgan Knowles was the lock the loose forward. So what would you do differently.
Speaker 3: There, Junior Incember, It definitely has to be in the seventeen I personally he didn't have a great year last year, but he's a phenomenal athlete and he's been in outrageously good form this year and he's the point of difference.
Speaker 2: You look at the pure.
Speaker 3: Size of him, the speed, the strength, you know he's he brings an X factor and I'd have him in my team.
Speaker 1: So look, in terms of talent, I don't get too excited by what we've just read out, okay, but also I also don't think the Australian side is anywhere as near as strong as we made it look in England last year. There's so many weaknesses in that side. And I said this when we're doing the Ashes Rugby League podcast, when we did the clips, I got battered for this in my home country where I live right now, and it all a lot of how we approach things as an English nation is about where what kind of pedestal. We put our opponents on and I think there's so many weaknesses there that we can exploit. From the Australian perspective, the problem we have now is that in the World Cup we might have to play everybody else but Australia just to get to Australia and Samoa are going to look strong. Tonga will be strong as well, and I think I am excited in the sense that brand new coach, brand new eyes, but I don't know if Brian McDermott is the coach to do this. They need to play more football, they need to chance their arm. They can try and go into a grind. He has said that. He said that in his first press so that that's you know he you know, he used the clitchkow Tyson Fury energy and you know you don't you don't stand toe to toe with Clichko, which is obviously not what.
Speaker 3: Fury did and Fury Clicho. So yeah, I think he understands that. On the Kangaroos, I think, as you know Lee, he wasn't the strongest Kangaroo's team for the Ashes. But the fact that the World Cups in Australia and you get this with the Tongue and the Simon teams that came out to England in the last couple of years. It will be a stronger austraining team. You'll get the Tron Mitchell, You'll get Tommy Turbo. There'll be other players who didn't come or decided to have surgery and they'll put that off because it's the home World Cup. So I think the Kangaroo team will be a better team come October than what we saw last October.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and New Zealand, who were fantastic last.
Speaker 3: Yes, well New Zealand if you look at some of their players who are in form, you know, Dylan Brown for Dylan Brown for example, Canum Ponger is gonna play for New Zealand, so you know that's a big win for them. Yeah, I think I think the Kiwis will be strong. Tonga will be Yeah, look at you look at Kohla and On Kauwatu, just two of their players, Adam fanil Blake. Yeah, I think I think Tonga and then Samala they're probably gonna have a few more, are they. Isn't Tino likely to to defect obviously? The Hammer you know, Yeah, it's I'm really could afford the World Cup obviously, find down there and go to a few games. But yeah, it isn't going to be easy for for England. I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's a real pivotal the year for them in that regard. I mean last year was pivotal, and every year that they don't do something is going to you know, it's going to have that pe word attached to it.
Speaker 3: That's the point I was going to make when you said about being pivot on crossroads. I don't really want to say that because I probably say it too regularly and nothing happens. But you do eventually come that think they'll bill be a breaking point at some point, or maybe there's just lots of little breaking points and not a big not a big one.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I don't disagree with this sentiment.
Speaker 1: Rich early Bird wrote us a message which is linked to this too, which was about academy teams. So he asked, or he said, I believe all Super leagueams should have an academy. If the lads in the academy don't have a match, then they should be able to play for their community club. Sixteen to nineteen year olds will only developed by playing too many academy lads play too few games. A licensing of a handful of academies is making the player pool smaller. To know Lee's opinion on this, For instance, York have no sides officially outside of first team. This cannot be the case from twenty to twenty seven lads in hull It academies are playing just a handful of games. It can't be good for development. So I will answer that John Rich one hundred percent. Look, England are as good at rugby league as Australia and Australia's offshoots such as Samoa and Tonga and New Zealand. The only way they're going to get better at rugby league is by playing more rugby league. So Rich, you're absolutely right. Now I don't know the details of why some academies exist and why some academies don't exist, and John will be able to furnish us with some of that, I'm sure soon. But when I look at all the problems that exist in English rugby league right now, a lot of them cause by not having much money. One of the cheapest ways to get better rugby league teams is develop develop your own and in theory, in some sports, you can make money because they get sold to others. We don't have that system in rugby league, but occasionally there is compensation if contracts are broken, so there needs to be again. I mean, we keep talking about pivotal moments and crucial points in rugby league's world in England, this is another one where do we want what do we want to do with our juniors? What's the goal what we're trying to achieve? Was that mainly well it wasn't to anybody else my room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well look I think ideally what the goal should be is to win a World Cup, to win an ASHES. But to answer this in a roundabout way, I disagree a little bit slightly because the academy is very controversial, But I think the fact is in the RFL tried to change this while ago. When they didn't I remember correctly it was Sulford Cass might have been whole Car as well. They didn't give the licenses. There was a big outcry and then they backpeddled and said, yeah you can have a license. But the problem is the player pool at the amateur level and the participation is not there. Now we all know participation has dropped off massively. The overall figures are being what's.
Speaker 2: The word.
Speaker 1: Maniated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they made to look better because there's a lot more girls playing rugby league, which is great, But in terms of boys, the drop off particularly I think around thirteen four and fifteen is massive and a lot of clubs, amateur clubs have actually gone. Now you can talk about York and you say, well, how many amateur clubs are in the York area are There's not many. I think there's maybe half a dozen. I don't know exactly numbers. I know in an area like Hole, a lot of the amateur clubs have gone, and that's one of the reasons why Hole and FC and k I had to join academy for a while. So we actually need to go a step below the academy and actually try and get kids playing generally, which increases the player pool. So there actually are more talented kids getting into that academy stage. But I would agree with Rich in the sense of they don't play enough games and the reserves don't So this is where the feeder system when it comes to the championship clubs.
Speaker 2: This is where that needs to happen. So if you.
Speaker 3: Use the example what's a good example York and Newcastle. We'll use that one because effectively, are you know, if you're in that York squad or you're a young player and you're not playing Super League, you go out and play Championship at Newcastle because that's a much better stand, a tougher environment than reserves football. And the gap there isn't really a great stepping stone from under nineteen's academy football and two super League into first team. So that's kind of another gap that we've not really bridged. But we don't have enough players to go around. This is say things.
Speaker 1: So to that point, that was the first thing you went to. You said, not all can have academies because there's not enough community clubs and enough players. One of the key one of the key, Yeah, I did say, it wasn't John. What I'm saying is, though participation improves if there's a pathway. Yes, So it's chicken and egg, Okay.
Speaker 2: It is it is. That's true.
Speaker 1: So kids that are talented at sport will literally decide at a certain age thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, which directions are going. So if you happen to be good at rugby league, happen to be good at rugby union, happen to be good at soccer, and happen to be good at cricket, which many people are because they're good at sport. In terms of pathway, there's a clear fourth out of all that. So there's a chicken and an egg element. Okay, so you've heard the phrase build it and they will come. They're all linked. So participation is not exclusive from performance. In terms of the bigger pool you have in participation, the more chance more cream will come to the top. But it also goes the other way too. Those people who are participating need somewhere to go or else I'll just drift off. So it's all part of the same thing. So he's not wrong. But there are reasons, and it's happened because all you did was listen of reasons why it's happened, you know. But they're all if you have a looked back. So whoever the new CEO is and whoever takes over the game or doesn't take over the game, need to look at the whole thing because they're absolutely linked. It's participation and performance are literally part of the There are almost two cheeks of the same backside because everyone starts as a participant and they eventually become a performer or don't become a performer. So it's everywhere you look, there's an issue, John.
Speaker 3: And the other element to that I just added is visibility, isn't it, Lee, Because you're right, everyone starts a participant, but most people start as a participant because they're inspired, or they see on TV, or they read about in the paper, or their dad takes into a game and they say, I mean for me, it was I don't know, Cliffey Lyons. I'm trying to think other players in the late eighties, early nineties, you know it was you go out and I think that a lot of the modern generation might have been Benji Marshall. You know, they saw him playing, you know, and you want to go out and try and be Benji Marshall or Sean Johnson or whoever.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Calen Pong are probably now Reese Walsh now like. But the fact in England is the players aren't big stars. They're not seen everywhere, they're not read about, they're they're kind of operating in a bubble. Unless you're in the rugby league bubble. You're not really that inspired, are you. So that's that's a big problem the top level.
Speaker 2: That I know. This.
Speaker 3: Back when I was a kid, you know, Michael Jordan was the biggest star in the world, and you know I used to play basket or whatever. I wanted to be like Michael Jordan's, you know, the whole Gatorade campaign, like Mike. I'd like to be like Mike, you know. So you've got to be You've got to be seen, and you've got to be out there. And that's that's why people want to go and play football, because the football is the premier league. Players are stars and they also get paid a ship ton of money.
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, first of all, I thought I wanted to be goalkeeper for Manchester City in England, and I played soccer for a few years and then all of a sudden, by accident, by actions of the universe, I ended up playing some rugby league. And one of the things that made me decide I'm going to play rugby league rather than football soccer was our schoolboy final. So when we played all the schools in Suffold, our final was played at the Willows and I looked at the soccer, I played the football and I played in the finals in that too. They weren't played at main Road or Old Trafford, and I thought, I know which sport I'm going to get more reward out of. And this is what I mean about the reward and the pathway and that's literally what determined or basically swung it that way, put it that way and the other. It was better at rugby league than I wasn't goal. So yeah, So review of games from last round Bradford today where you are beat All left C sixteen fourteen. Bradford's tries came from Blake Ryan and four goals from Atkin. All left C scored with Bachelor, the other Litton and three goals from Hardacre. So Bradford hadn't won for five matches. All Left C were down to twelve and there were no tries in the first forty minutes. Tell us about that. Yeah, Look, it wasn't a great game. There was some real basic It felt at one point people couldn't catch pass. There were some real basic errors and it was in terms of the touch footy you were talking about earlier.
Speaker 2: Was the entertain because it was a bit of a slag fest.
Speaker 3: It was very defensive orientated, but there was a few moments of brilliance. Ethan Ryan's try in the corner were sensational, and Hollo came back and almost snuck it with twelve men, but yeah, used of fading. Basically red misted got red card. That was a you know, a brain explosion from him and you know went down accordingly. So yeah, an important, important win for for Bradford. But it was not a high quality game. Shall we say, did.
Speaker 1: The crowd react accordingly?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: Was it big crowd? Was it?
Speaker 2: I didn't see the number.
Speaker 3: I looked, it looked a decent credit odds or the sun was out which always helps. Yeah, it was obviously the only the only Sunday game. But yeah for Bradford, I think, as you said that that won for a while important two points and they you know, they shod a lot of fight and a lot of ticker Bradford, so credit to them for that. They did grind out the result. But when they had twenty or fifteen minutes, however, it was with an extra main you really, you know, you back them to get the win.
Speaker 2: There with an extra man for such a long period.
Speaker 1: Whole KR scored twenty at Lee. Lee only returned with sixteen points a bit of a comeback in the second half. Lee tries to Alec Layinki, Charlie and Hughes for Lee goals too, for Cook tries to whole kr from Hicku, Davis and Morgue and four goals from Martin. It says, I've got some words here from the BBC website, incredible second half comeback and then I've looked at the scores and I'm thinking it was only twelve points.
Speaker 3: Hell, yeah it was. It was an exciting end. Lee were what twenty to six down and fought back and almost almost stole at the end, and Cook with a knock on which you know, very late on proved proved influential.
Speaker 2: But I think it a bit of story, bit of stupidity from Michael Lewis.
Speaker 3: You know, got sim mind right on half time for you know, basically Lang all over in the tackle trying to slow down the opposition and I think he had another trip as well, So you know, I think Michael Lewis he really needs to get that stuff out of his game.
Speaker 2: I think it proved quite costly.
Speaker 3: Four whole cards didn't cost them the two points in the end, but yeah, I think it showed. It showed that Lee Are, you know, starting to hit some form and come back strong. I think they are a good chance to make the six I think you named well the table was earlier and I think they're sitting seventh. I don't really see anyone else apart from the sixth chasing that. I don't think cant Land unless a massive turn around there. But I think Leah, you know, showing their worth even though they didn't get a win.
Speaker 1: Nicola Frodsham wrote towards and said, how does Mikey Lewis get away with tripping? It's happened a couple of times now and nothing has been done. Nicola, if the Rugby Football League knew rugby league and knew how to run a game, they would be writing to whole ky are if there's a pattern and saying we are aware that one of your players regularly trips and giving them some laws in which they need to refer to next time he gets excited and trips someone. But it's pretty simple if you ask me so. And again it comes down to focus and maybe resource as well. But care I mean Mikey Lewis, Look, there are so many limitations in his game actually, and this is one of them, and I'd expect better from somebody that we're thinking of being one of the halves in the England side. I'd expect an awful lot better. Quite frankly, to lose actually had a better come back than whole k Are. They were eighteen nil down at halftime, but the game ended to lose sixteen Warrington twenty four tries to lose were just arm ashall Bolt scored too, he scores every week and good on him. And Rouge kicked two Warrington They're twenty four. Two came from Kings, one from Smith, one from Wood and four goals from Snaide. What was this game like, John, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was similar one to go an eighteen year lap, sorry twenty four near lap and then you think the game's over and then to lose come roaring back to do A few times this season said come alive when the game's effectively over and Mark they've got Simmini which obviously played in their hands, but you know they left themselves too much to do and didn't get a win. And I think for Warrington, after the disappointing challenge Cap Semi four legsit important for them to bounce back with the two points.
Speaker 1: What happens when players are knackered because they're playing too much and not fully conditioned or as they should be. What happens is they start to pick and choose what they do within games and within rounds in the competition. And basically what a lot of that can be put down to is teams like Warrington and others will go to to lose or play against to lose, go off red hot, start easily get over the top of them, and then they'll just ease off the gas subconsciously because they won't save a bit of energy to lose and realize they probably deserve to be on this field against against the likes of Warrington, and then and they come back at them. And because our game is a physical sport, a lot of it comes down to players' moods and mentality and if you are one or two percent off, then things can switch quite considerably. That said, I mean, we talked about Catalan's Wolves, we talked about Huddersfield's Wolves to lose. How far off that either are they really? Now?
Speaker 3: No, I don't I don't think so. Look, I think you know they need a more squad depth to lose. They need more players who've played in Super League regularly and you know, experienced the division. But you know, I think they are a well coached side and they're definitely you know, they're definitely competing. There's definitely effort there and yeah, just quite often it's not enough.
Speaker 1: Wigan twenty four leads four. The manner of the victory, the size of the victure was a bit of a shock. Actually. Tries to Wigan who was sixteen aer up at half time from Faramunt Kieran. He scores every week to the lad good on him, Hodkinson and wardle and four goals from Kieran as you're still flying out the line and killing people John and Leeds. Leeds only try came from Seavol. Surprise, surprise. Tell us about that game, mate, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean I was at Wakefield which was on at the same time, so I've only seen the bit of the replay, a bit of the highlights, but yeah, fantastic weigand performance went up sixteen zerol really you know, strong defensively. I think the highlight for me was Jack Farraman's hit on Michaelsivo. You know, all of seventy five kg's of Jack farra Man and I think c is about one hundred and ten.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Civo opened his body up. When you do that, if you open your body up and try and get past someone and you're not quick enough to get past them, and Faraman came in at exactly the right time. I saw that on Instagram and yeah it was good.
Speaker 3: But no, I think it's just you know, Wigan, you know, they seem to have really turned a corner obviously the last fortnite. They're very motivated, they're pumped up. You know, they've got a good blend of players and leads. Yeah, disappointing from them. I know they did have a try disallowed, which is probably a little bit harsh, but yeah, a bit of a lesson. I thought this was a really good chance for Leeds two. You know, they've beaten Warrington, the Beans and Helens have beaten Whole car Flank, Holk and Las Vegas. Wigan was probably the last challenge, you know, show the title credentials. But it was a bit of a well, it was a disappointing evening for him.
Speaker 1: So full credit to the Warriors York eighteen Castle for twenty four. York will be upset with this because they were eighteen twelve ahead at half time. Tries to them from Vinnie ya Yawa Vinie. How do you say that, John, Vinnie? I count sat now Vinnie Yeah yahwa really yeah? The King Wood Galiano and three goals from Hunter Castleford tries from Hurst Karaka, how do I say that? And a Tony and Grecianna attorney any no? Carry carry?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: That's Gary Gary, isn't it Gary Gary? Right? And Greason g C. What's his name?
Speaker 2: He's Gary Gary? No?
Speaker 1: I know that? What about Greasin?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I'm not say that, mate, right? Mate? Everyone deserves now.
Speaker 2: I can't really I can't see what you're reading though.
Speaker 1: Just try listening to it. We've scored kicked four goals Chopsy Turvy game by the look of this, and apparently it was the first ever Super League game between the two clubs.
Speaker 2: Yes, very tight game, I'd say, you know.
Speaker 3: Defense was on top of your head, aiding twelve at half time and Casts just came out a really strong second half. You have a man simbing for a high shot, but to crash over tries late for Casts, you just basically crash balls bang over the line and they closed out the game really well.
Speaker 2: Cass.
Speaker 3: I thought just thered, the allowance, speed, they kicked, they tackled hard. They really frustrated York who you know, just couldn't open them up at the end. And I think Asia Nazi was very good in the halves for the target. So yeah, a very influential two points for Cast. Obviously, wins have been rare in this season.
Speaker 1: Castleford, sorry, Catalans fell off a cliff in the second half. It was ten all the half time. Wakefield scored fifty eight, so forty eight of them came in the second half. Tries to handle a new la. Tate scored two, far Tilly scored a hat trick. It was a prop scoring a hat trick in seventeen mins off the bench. Off the bench. Pitt scored one, Meyers scored one, Tavanger, Pratt and Truman. Seven goals from Lino so there, that was fifty eight for them. Catalan scored ten and tries from Stains and Sexton and sext and kicked the goal.
Speaker 2: Go on.
Speaker 1: We've we've talked a lot about Catalans overall, but like, what did you see in this game?
Speaker 2: It was bizarre. I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 3: This first time I've been at Waker this season and it's a great stadium now, a great atmosphere, you know, eight and a half thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I just clicked on a rugby league thing and yeah, music. I didn't think it enough music.
Speaker 2: But Wakefield, Wakefield started Paula.
Speaker 3: They would tend it all down for tape was just running over people and you thought, okay, this is going to be a tough night for the Trinity.
Speaker 2: And then they called back to tries.
Speaker 3: It was ten and a half times, they delicately poised and then Catalans just went to I mean, the just imploded. It was utterly bizarre, just a remarkable game. I mean, Wakefield played some lovely, lovely stuff in the second half. They get me wrong, but it was just try, try, try, try, try try. I think nine tries in forty minutes so for till he came off the bench to score a hat trick. I can't remember a prop ever scoring a hat trick and I think it was in seventeen minutes.
Speaker 1: There's quite obviously a fitness issue there because of catalan because there's a few games where they've fallen off that that same cliff in the second half.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I've wrote I've written about it in that opinion piece that I've published today. Ryan Sherrian was he called it embarrassing. He was basically scathing, saying we need players. You know, we've got players who aren't ap to scratch here. We don't have the depths, et cetera, et cetera. Nowt you know, I think there are real issues of the dragons which I wrote about.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was. It was very, very poor.
Speaker 3: I mean, forty eight points in forty minutes to conceee that defensively. If you talk about touch footy, I mean that they should touch footy.
Speaker 2: It was. It was very weak.
Speaker 3: They effectively waived the white flag Catland. So yeah, they're they're in crisis, I.
Speaker 1: Would say, in a similar thing to what I just said about to lose. Huddersfield was twenty four mil down to Huddersfield at halftime. The game ended Huddersfield eighteen. Saint Helen's twenty six. Huddersfield's tries came from O'Donnell Swift and Evils three goals to Russell. Saint Helen's twenty six came from Robinson Murphy Dagnall Delaney and five goals to Hastings. So I think there's a pattern. The bigger teams are racking up the points and then just taking the kid off the rack. Quite frankly, I've seen it a thousand times before looking at those results. That's what's happening too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that that was a poor game on first time. I mean that was one of those games where you're kind of like, oh, hope this isn't being televised because people won't want to watch it. And there was people commenting on my Facebook that then it off and watched the darts.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I think darts is completely boring, so I don't know anyone would want to watch.
Speaker 1: The We didn't do after the hurtel last week because of my business, but one of the reasons was I looked at the fixtures. Oh I thought, I don't do that at.
Speaker 2: All, so well it look look.
Speaker 3: I was at home watching the hottest Field game and Hoddersfield were dreadful in the first half. Saint Helen's were good, but then they were quite poor in the second half. Harderfield came back, but we had the video referee taking ages, We had captains challenges, You had no fans in the stadium.
Speaker 2: It was just just a poor, poor contest.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, there's been the common denominator sadly this season is the Giants. They've been involved in a lot of poor contests and yeah, that was that was a tough watch. We've got two questions that I think we've covered a nauseum on this podcast, so I'll just brush over them, but I want to respect the guys who've sent them through so they know that we're listening. Alan Redman asked what's the views on respective performances the three promoted clubs, Alan, me and John have spoken significantly about that it's just going to get worse and worse.
Speaker 1: Bradford will get some wins because they play on a field that's smaller than any other in the competition, and there's a bit of atmosphere and momentum there because it's Bradford Bulls. But they've been heading south for the last few weeks and managed to scrape a win against who left c and the other two teams being propped up by Huddersfield. Kevin Citrus Clark said, will the RFL or Super League a scrap the captain's challenge for the sake of those watching at home or in the ground, it is dreadful, Kevin. We've mentioned that several times myself and John, and I don't think they'll scrap it, but they're definitely to cut down on the times. Anything you want to add to those two things.
Speaker 3: John, No, I mean, I don't know whether they'll scrap or not, but it certainly is dreadful. And yeah, I mean on the promoted teams. Look, I think Bradford obviously have the full full investment, while the other two teams don't, so I think that's important to note. And obviously to lose have to pay a million quid, which we've also talked about. But I think under the circumstances, considering they only had you know, October or whatever it was September to get ready, I think they're doing all right, like they're trying hard, and I think, you know, they're three good coaches. But I do also think at the end of the season those three clubs will be in the bottom six. I don't think that we will see, you know, a remarkable shift.
Speaker 2: I may be wrong, but they may not finish bottom.
Speaker 3: You know, A Huddersfield may save them or a cast or a hole of sea. But yeah, I think my sympathy is with those teams because I think any team that goes up you need time and you need the equal amount of money in conditions to.
Speaker 2: Be able to no.
Speaker 3: And it's not a level playing field, is it. I mean, the thing is we all know that lead like it's not. I'm not saying anything revolutionary there. That's just obvious. So yeah, look, I think there isn't I've said this many times before, I say it again, and you know, maybe we'll have fifteen teams next year, but we don't have the player quality to go around. And there's a lot of New South Wales and Queensland Cup players and other players who probably shouldn't be on full time contracts but they are at.
Speaker 2: The moment and they're given. You know, they're given.
Speaker 3: They're all But you know, we could see what's been dished out there every week and.
Speaker 1: RL news, like I said, I was at Magic Round Friday, mate, the dogs, the Canterbury Bulldogs are absolutely gone. They you know I mentioned earlier that rugby leage's a physical games, so if people are happy, they tend to play with everything they've got. I think it's very input. It's a very underrated thing in rugby league. If you if you're happy with your coach, you're happy with the team, you're happy with the mood and the camp ex etc. You give it everything you've got. If you're not subconsciously, you've just become a little bit weaker. And that's clear with the Bulldogs. They're trying hard, but it's literally not working and I think their confidence is absolutely shot. The other interesting thing is West Tigers have not won. In fact, they've done the exact opposite since Jerome Louie announced that he was going to pap In New Guinea and I think anybody who's ignoring that is in denial. Yes there's injuries, but there's injuries at every NR club And obviously we're talking about to lose, We're talking about York and we're talking about Bradford and the not even playing field Perth Bears because Papua New Guinea are offering tax free incentive Perth Bears. It's probably a the flight, a longer flight for so many people in Australia to go to Perth. So on the Sydney and Brisbane side of Australia, it's probably a little bit longer to get to Perth than it is to get to pap In New Guinea from Brisbane. Actually I think or.
Speaker 2: No, no, I think yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: It's only equidistant at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it is close to the Brisbane and I know it's only a forty minute forty five minute flight from cans P and G. Obviously the Perth you're looking about five hours from Sydney, so I think from Brisbane it's probably port most is probably a couple of hours, but under five. But yeah, you look at the teams that well, you look at the team that Perth assembled and you look at what P and G have signed already and who they obviously kind of Watson's over there having a look, isn't it. I mean, Connor Watson's played Origin. He'd be a big signing for Perth. But that's not going to happen. It looks like came again. This isn't going there. I mean, I don't think Brady Croft would have been a big sign for Perth, but he would have been, you know, in the mix for the halves. If you if you if you're playing, if you're looking at onds for next season. Perth days have been massive, you know, the favorites of the spoon, wouldn't they absolutely?
Speaker 1: And there's also rumors that all is not well on the staff side of things. Yes, Malmoninger is very close associate has left the job of general manager of football. Their stories surrounding the relationship between Ben Gardener, the assistant coach and Malmoninger. There is a rumor that Ben Gardener might be the next who KR coach swirling around.
Speaker 3: So I think the thing I'm not I've not heard that, but I mean, I think the point with Ben Gardner is that he's seen as being the Perth coaching the season three, isn't it like a Christian Wolff, Wayne Bennett Dolphins Melmonninger. But I don't think mal thinks that he'll be hanging over the reins. And you know what's really interesting, Lee is that Melmoninger's living at Camber at the moment and Ben Garden's living in Sydney. And I didn't realize until only recently. I thought he was still on the staff at Penrith, but he's not. Why is why are they both not living in Perth?
Speaker 2: Now? You know? Setting up the.
Speaker 3: Club and and you know what I mean, Like it's just it looks like they're going to what their pre season starts in what four months? Five months? You know, they need to pull their finger out Perth. Maddie Lees is obviously a player they've been linked to interestlely and recently. Sorry and this was put to me by someone and I think it's spot on, like Perth needs to be and they've already signed quite a few, but they need to be looking at England for players. They need to be they need to be getting an English hub because I think it's something like a quarter of the people who live in Perth are British as in were born in Britain. They've got a massive X back community. It's an isolated city Perth in terms of the East Coast of Australia. So why would you not build, you know, a bit of a hub for the best English players, you know, build that around that could be your identity, you know, the Perth the Perth British Bears or the British Bulldogs.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they are struggling Perth and you know I'd like to see them do well. Even though being a manly fan and they've got the North Sydney connection. I'd actually like to see them do all right. I mean obviously lose the mainly, but you don't want them to come in a competition and get flogged every week. I don't think that will help the sport or the competition.
Speaker 1: So let's look at the tips for next week super League. I've just gone on the super League website to get the draw and it flashed up not secure or big hazard signings. As your connection isn't private, attackers might be trying to steal your information super League dot co dot uk for example, for example passwords, messages or credit cards. I've got the option of going back or I've got the advanced options. What should a click on, John, I.
Speaker 3: Think that's always dodgy side you look at through the week. I think that's the problem on the boy.
Speaker 1: I've got high security on this website. Anyway, clicked on on this on this browser, I've clicked on high advanced and this server couldn't prove that it's super League dot col dot UK. It's security certificate is from admin dot super leigue cold dot UK. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection. Can you imagine how many people they're losing out to with this popping up? So I'll give you I do have an option, John, don't thret to continue super League dot co dot uk. But in brackets it's unsafe. I'm going to take the risk. Okay, all right? This is like this is like turning on your car when there's a risk of a car bomb.
Speaker 3: It's not all right, give us the list, the picture list.
Speaker 1: I'm in, I'm in, I'm in, I'm in. Right match week, We're up to twelve, aren't we. They call it OKR and Wigan on Thursday. That will be a good game. Are you going?
Speaker 2: Will it be a good game lady?
Speaker 3: Because it's a week out from the Challenge Cup where there's two teams play, So yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's another one of those I don't use.
Speaker 3: To use any French, but I fucking hated when you literally have the two teams and wig at Warrington had this two years ago they played the week before the Challenge Cup final. I mean one of them will well, probably both of them are rest players. Who knows who don't play with the rest, But it just takes the sting out of the contest.
Speaker 1: I do think every year what the RFL should do is go right, there's probably going to be four teams in the Challenge Cup, probably one, two or four teams maybe five. Let's keep them apart this round and the round after. I don't think the forward planning is the you know, the strength of the rfon super so should we not bother tip in that side that game?
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really hard to know in terms of what teams they put it out, but yeah, considering it's at home, I'll go with a close wok I'll win.
Speaker 1: On Friday, Lee Leopards play Hull Left Seat and Lee's Rhinoles play Huddersfield Giants, Lean Lean. Leeds will win them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I was at the last Leeds in Huddersville game and what Leads scored? Fifty odd Yeah, I think Leads will win that one. And if you look at you know, Lee were we're a little bit unlacking the weekend but played reasonably well and I'll.
Speaker 2: See we're not great, so yeah, looking at recent form, we'll back the Leopards.
Speaker 1: Three o'clock on Saturday, Castleford Whole Saints. That's an interesting kickoff time for a Castleford home game.
Speaker 2: It is. I'm not sure about that one.
Speaker 1: To lose.
Speaker 3: Are you going to give a tip? By the way, sorry, yeah, I think Look kudos to cass but I think I think Saint Helen's. You know, they've shown a k act for forgetting a results this season.
Speaker 2: They've been relatively consistent, so I'll pick them for that one.
Speaker 1: It won't clash with any soccer by the way. It might clash with a playoff final or something, but.
Speaker 3: There is a playoff the head. There's the Championship playoff finals on the same time.
Speaker 1: To lose and Wakefield play at seven o'clock on Saturday. Yeah, the way Wakefield played on front, I can't look past them. They've just got a lot of attacking weapons. Jack Truman is having a massive of season and they've got a very big and mobile forward pact.
Speaker 2: That's that's bashing teams.
Speaker 1: And York Knights host the Catalan Dragons. I had fancy York to get another win there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to be honest, back you back at York.
Speaker 3: I think it's starting to get a few players back from injury York, and I think it's a very winnable game for them, So I think I think the Knights.
Speaker 1: On that on that Saturday, Whole City play Southampton at four thirty, so Cash should be pretty confident.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know how many Hall fans live in Castleford, so it's probably going to be all right.
Speaker 2: I know one, I know one. Right.
Speaker 1: Do you think any of them will be at Celtic and dunfirmly in the Scottish Cup final at three? That was better I watched. I watched mate, that's let's let's do a podcast one day on the corruption in Scottish football. And then on Sunday at three o'clock Warrington host Bradford. I can only see one winner there, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I think I think Bradford will go there and give a good shake. But I think I think Warrenton, Yeah, I think I'll get them.
Speaker 1: All good. Look. In terms of after the hooter, guys, I'm really busy with something that will hopefully come to an end this week, so I'll talk with John. If we don't have one this week, don't worry, it will come back, but me and me and John will discuss where can people get you John? In the interim.
Speaker 3: They can get me on Patreon at Rugby League hub dot com read I can get me on Instagram Johnny D. Davidson RL and on X and on Facebook as well.
Speaker 1: I'm Rugby League Coach dot comatay you admin, at Rugby League Coach dot comdatay you is the email and at Rugby League Coach on socials. Please hit me up on Facebook or Instagram with a message on X I am at RL coach on the net because I couldn't get Billy coach. We'll see you when we see her. Take care