Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure it gets much better than this. We are fresh off very exciting NFL opener last night, not the result I wanted. But if you just take away a rooting interest, rather it be because you're a fan of Lamar Jackson and the Ravens like myself, maybe you're a Chiefs fan, or maybe you just were rooting for your wager to hit. You take all that out and you just consider how entertaining the game was in the finish. I mean it, it was one of those nights where you do think to your subway second, how could the NFL, you know, have this matchup play out the way?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: You couldn't have scripted it any better as far as it being down to the wire, to the last second where Lamar Jackson and is it makes a great play to seemingly tie the game up, only to find out that his receiver had his toe on the line. Michigan was the right call. So a great night last night, other than, of course, the result, but a good game. Note nonetheless, we've got NFL tonight on a Friday. Some other college football games. A loaded slate of games tomorrow, including Louisville Jacksonville State, which, hey, probably won't be an exciting game, but it should be another beat down. That's what you want. That's all you can hope for in games like this, and then our first NFL Sunday. Again, it doesn't get much better than this. The only thing that could make this better is if I had a cold beard in my hand right now. But that's frowned upon it. You can't drink on the job. Thanks a lot, Biden. I'm at Trump. Yeah, Trump would be okay, I'm kidding, I should even as we get this close to the election, I shoudn't even joke about anything when it comes to that stuff.
Speaker 4: Especially people, that's the first thing they hear them they turn on the radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both sides, by the way have have has shown you know how gullible they can be, because you know, all it takes is one little joke, me being sarcastic or just you know, making a joke.
Speaker 3: And you know those that.
Speaker 2: Are radicals, as they say, on the radical left of the radical right, they'll they'll chime in and you know, let me have it about how dumb I am when I was just making a joke, because I do think, you know, especially before Biden stepped down, whenever there was the the debate where you had Biden talk about porn star and the alley Cat, you got the morals of an alley cat. I mean like that, That's the ultimate moment in my lifetime that I can think of in politics where no matter what side you're on, if you're a hardcore Democrat or a hardcore Republican, like you have to all just look at each other and think, like, mat, are we really is this happening?
Speaker 3: Is this real?
Speaker 2: So anyways, I'm fired up five o'clock here on a Friday afternoon and getting you set for a loaded weekend that I kind of feel has already started, and we're gonna take you up till six o'clock. Let's go back to last night again. I was on the edge of my seat watching that game, honestly from start to finish. And it's just another reminder that because of my love for Lamar Jackson, I mean, I'm not in love with him. I mean, I'm a married man, and I'm sure he's got interest elsewhere, But I am a big Lamar fan want to see him do well, and he's already done very well in his NFL career, but beating Patrick Mahomes is something he's only done once. And right now, the Chiefs and Mahomes, they are on top of the NFL. And it would have been so huge for the Ravens to start the season off last night with a monumental victory and they came up short.
Speaker 3: And I'm not.
Speaker 2: Blaming it on the officials, because you know, that's what losers do. Because even though the officiating was I think one sided at times and really just inexcusable when it comes to the countless illegal formation penalties that were called. And yet if you go side by side and look at the same thing that the Chiefs are doing, they're not getting called for it. You know, the assistant coach Steve Spagnolia for the Chiefs being able to call a time out when you clearly can't do that and you were supposed to be flagged for doing it, and they didn't call a flag. I mean, that's not why they won. But like you know, right now, the Chiefs are on top, and I think when you are on a run like this as a franchise, meaning not only the success the Super Bowls, but like everything else going on the face of the league is Patrick Mahomes. I mean, I mean he right now is in the midst of a run that may end up being the best run we've ever seen from anybody in the NFL at the quarterback position. And that's including Tom Brady. To be honest with you, Pat Mahome's still young. You've got Andy Reid, who obviously is a hell of a coach, Travis Kelcey probably one of the best tight ends of all time, and yet he's dating the most famous celebrity on the planet. Like, right now, the Chiefs are on top, and I think referees probably aren't. I mean, I don't think they're in the bag for Kansas City. Like I'm gonna try to explain myself as best I can without making it sound as if I'm truly thinking that refs are cheating for Kansas City. But you know what refs are their human beings, and the human element is a powerful thing that is unavoidable in sports. And I just think that they're gonna be less prone to throw certain penalties on the Chiefs than they would other teams. Not because they're fans of the Chiefs, but like, let's be real, why do you think when you're at home you get a favorable whistle compared to when you're on the road. Because refs are human, they know they need to call it the right way, but like they're not perfect, they're gonna make mistakes and their instincts. Again, the human element that I refer to is going to be a powerful thing to where they know that if they make a call against the home team that's questionable, they're gonna get booed off the floor and they're not supposed to care about that, and I'm sure they don't, but again, the human element is a powerful things. So the hell with the reps and the Kansas City Chiefs? After last night? John pissed off?
Speaker 3: Get me fired? No, I just I thought I was over it.
Speaker 2: Now we're resetting it, and I just you know, those done illegal formation penalties.
Speaker 4: I mean, it doesn't seem like it was a bit overdone after hearing describe it, because it makes it makes sense for it to happen once, maybe twice, but then to have it be so just kind of out in the open, and then even the announcers reacting the way that they did as often as they did, it doesn't It does make it seem shady, even if there wasn't anything underlying about it.
Speaker 3: It's the best way to put it.
Speaker 2: Some shady stuff going on with the Kansas City Chiefs Tonight again a rare NFL Friday night game, but I'm here for it. I wouldn't be mad if they gave us a Friday night game every week. They're not going to do it, understandably, so, but we've got the Packers and the Eagles should be a competitive game. Right now. It is Philadelphia minus two. It opened up at minus one and a half, so there's not been a whole lot of movement here. And as far as what people are wagering right now, fifty five percent of the money is on the Eagles to cover.
Speaker 3: So that's really close.
Speaker 2: That's as close as I've seen when it comes to just you know, the money that is being uh, that is being wagered when it comes to the spread in this game. As far as money line, UH, sixty two percent of the money's on the Eagles.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then if you are somebody that likes to do over unders, the total is set at forty nine and a half and uh seventy percent of the money has come in on that to go over. I have not touched an over under yet. Are you you you hit? You did last week, didn't you.
Speaker 4: I bet on the over in Indiana FIU and that did not hit unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I don't mind. Like it's a it's a really different betting experience watching a game when you've only touched the total, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I'll say this though, I think I mentioned this to you before. The under in Iowa games last year. I don't know how much it'll be be good for you this year, but that was one of my most constant wins last year was those unders and those Iowa football games.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, you would see how low they could set it, and you would wait till Saturday to see if Iowa can do the unthinkable and actually once again hit it under, and they would.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to get to that game later.
Speaker 2: I know we talked about it a little bit earlier this week, but the Iowa Iowa State matchup, I feel like, just when it comes to those that are really into the sports gambling space, I feel like, of all the matchups this weekend, there's a lot of people talking about this one, so we'll get to that a little bit later on. But with Louisville and Jacksonville State tomorrow, the cards are twenty eight and a half point favorites. We mentioned it earlier, a lot of the money, in fact, ninety eight percent of the money that has come in on this game, I'm sorry, ninety five percent is on Louisville to cover as twenty eight and a half point favorites. This thing's had a lot of movement opened up at Louisville minus twenty and a half. Now it's Louisville minus twenty eight and a half, so again, a lot of movement there. No real surprise Louisville was dominant against Austin p and Jacksonville State. You know, they're relatively new to FBS. They have had two nine win seasons in the Rich Rod era. And in our conversation we had earlier in the show with one of the beat writers for al dot com who joined us to discuss tomorrow's matchup, and really not the matchup specifically. We did talk a little bit about that, but it was more so just about you know, Jacksonville State sort of their program rich Rodriguez. The fact that he's there is kind of unusual given where he was twenty years ago when he brought West Virginia in here as a top five team. But in a conversation with Thomas Ashworth, I didn't feel this, But I will say when I say feel this, I didn't feel like, oh, maybe I'm overlooking this team. But there's a few people in the text line that have said that they think I'm overlooking this Jacksonville State team a little bit. And you know, maybe you're right, because I'll be honest with you, I didn't realize they had back to back none win seasons.
Speaker 3: But again, like I can't.
Speaker 2: This is where I think I'm a little bit different than other fans, and it's probably an issue of mine.
Speaker 3: It's probably to a fault.
Speaker 2: I have real expectations for Lowell, meaning I think they can compete and potentially find themselves in Charlotte again to play for the a SEC Championship. I feel better about that now that I did two weeks ago. And it's not only because louisll look good against Austin p because of the rest of the ACC However, you know, like, if I think that Louisville is as good as you know.
Speaker 3: If Louisville's remotely.
Speaker 2: Close to the team that I think they can be, and I think that they are, I don't care if Jacksonville State's won eleven games the last two seasons, Like, you should take care of business and beat this team pretty bad. Are you going to beat him sixty two to nothing? Maybe not, but if you do, I'm not going to be surprised. And somebody on the text line made a point that I hadn't thought of, but I kind of like where you're going with this. It's that Jeff browm knows the coach he's going up against is well respected as a football coach. I mean Rich Rod I mean, let's be real, Rich Rodriguez was really good. Like if he never left West Virginia, I mean, he would have been there for a long long time. And you know that just doesn't happen. Coaches don't stay at college is that long really ever, and especially in the last fifteen twenty years, the shelf life for a coach is just it's.
Speaker 3: Just not what it once was. But he's a good coach.
Speaker 2: Like everything that's happened with Rich Rod as far as you know how he ended up at Jacksonville State really has nothing to do with his ability to coach. I mean, he was sensational at West Virginia.
Speaker 3: I mean he won.
Speaker 2: Let's see, he had four straight seasons with ten or more wins, including he won the Sugar Bowl, he won the Gator Bowl. They lost i think in the Fiesta Bowl. So like he had a hell of a run there and then at Michigan. Clearly you know that didn't work out, but Michigan at that time had an identity crisis. Michigan went from coach Carr to rich Rod, and he wasn't good. He went three to nine in his first year, then five and seven and then seven and six. But like you know, I think a lot of coaches in that time would have struggled to win at Michigan. I mean, hell, Michigan struggled to find a competent coach for a while until they got Harball, and even Harball didn't win at the level they're expected and to until he got Connor's Alliance. So at Arizona, a place that's pretty tough to win, he was good there. I mean forty three and thirty five is not you know, elite but he had a ten win season at Arizona in twenty fourteen when they went to the Vesta Bowl, and he would still be their coach. I don't know if people realize this, but he had at Arizona. He was He was fired because he had a former administrative assistant who filed a multimillion dollar lawsuit claiming him of sexually harassing her and creating a hostile work environment for years. An internal investigation by the school conducted that they conducted did confirm I guess what was alleged. And he was fired in January of twenty eighteen, and you know, later details came out and it's wild that he had he had an affair, but he did deny the sexual misconduct allegations. But he had members of his staff that were and this is what I guess the Arizona universe or the University of Arizona investigation concluded like there was somebody on his I don't know if it was like a wide receivers coach or if it was just like a quality control staffer. But their main job, John was to make sure that the mistress, who by the way, was an administrative assistant within the program, to make sure. The mistress and the wife were never in the same room together. They were never around each other, never saw because again, the wife's gonna travel with the team, So it's the administrative assistant.
Speaker 3: She works for the team.
Speaker 4: What's a chaotic job. Yeah, I mean, that's imagine and if you screw that up, you might be in some big trouble too, meaning who the person response keeping them out of the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, clearly he didn't do it. He didn't do a good enough job because the affair got out it.
Speaker 2: It sounds like she probably, you know, realized that she could potentially cash in on this whole thing. But it's actually not that far off from Bobby. I mean, Bobby was having an affair with the volleyball former volleyball player at Arkansas, who I think was also working in an administrative role within the athletic department at Arkansas. And you know, we all know.
Speaker 3: How that played out. Those two guys.
Speaker 2: Nineteen years ago two there were two top five teams playing each other at Cardinal Stadium, Papa John's Cardinal Stadium back in that day, and again, it was the best environment I've ever seen for a louisvill football game. And here we are nineteen years later, Rich Rods bringing Jacksonville State the game Cocks into Llen N Cardinal Stadium and Bobby Petrino's call and plays at Arkansas as the OC. So both guys probably not at all where they imagined they would be, but you know that happens to a lot of people. But anyways, make sure you guys join us tomorrow. We've got game day coverage for you. The louisvill Football Pregame Show hosted by Yours Truly. We'll start at two thirty. It's presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. And then the postgame show. As soon as it ends, we will go live right here taking your calls on the Louisville Football Postgame Show hosted by Yours Truly, presented by Alex R. White Attorneys, so Distracted Driver dot Com. So who knows what we're going to be reacting to. But the question I asked Louisville fans earlier was this, what could you see tomorrow? Rather it be is to tistic a result or just something visually, something your eyeballs witness that makes you feel like not only did Louisville sustain what was accomplished last week? And maybe that's not the right way to describe it, because I'm not really sure it was accomplished. But look, you did what you're supposed to do. You won sixty two to nothing against an FCS team. What could be done tomorrow against Jacksonville State, a team that's not FCS, but they're not far from it? What could be done tomorrow to where you feel like, Okay, we or stayed the same. I'm just as thrilled as I was last week, or maybe I'm even more so thrilled than I was last week, and we all know again disclaimer, I'll put it on the beginning and I'll put it on the end. Here, we have no clue what any of this is going to mean. You could have beatdowns against teams like this and be terrible, and I know Louisvell's not a terrible team. I'm just saying, like, that's why I hate these games, because when you do what you're supposed to do, it's encouraging, but you also can know realistically that it's just tough to really know what you learned about your team. So the text line has been loaded mostly from early on in the show. But if you guys want to give us a call, you can five or two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number you can also text in on the llen N Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. Some of the texts that came in earlier in the three o'clock iur when I asked this, the first person was just mentioning they want to see the defense get another shutout. And some people have called bs on that text that stated Lois has never had back to back shutouts, But nobody's also given me any proof that that that has happened, that they've had two straight games where they've kept opponents scoreless. It's one of those things where like I just believe it because it sounds like it's really hard to do. But then again, you got to keep in mind back in the day, not a lot of points were scored in football. You could you could lose, you know, you could lose three to nothing in football back in the day, and it wouldn't be that big of a shock. So I have no clue if that's true or not, but I will say, if you go two straight weeks and your opponents don't score a point, your defense literally could not have been better, right, I mean that would be I mean, that's that would be sensational. So somebody on the text line earlier mentioned they want to see Pierce Clarkson look more comfortable.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want to.
Speaker 2: Give Pierce clark In a little bit a little bit of an excuse here. So there's been a lot of talk about Pierce really for the last few months because I think since the spring, Jeff has kind of made it clear that he's he's the guy that's the backup. I mean, he's also talked about Harrison Bailey. I think those guys have been kind of neck and neck. But from what I understand, in games like this, when you're up huge and you're going to your backup, so your quarterback that's a starter can rest, you would like the bit the reps are going to be more valuable and more beneficial for your program if they go to Pierce Clarkson, who could potentially take the reins and he needs reps. He's a guy that's not played a whole lot in college. And then with Harrison Bailey again, hopefully we never find out, but I believe that if Tyler Shutt got hurt in a real game. As of now, I think they would go with Harrison Bailey. I could be wrong, but I think they trust him a little bit more because again, he sees and he's experienced, and he's a former five star quarterback who came back to Louisville, who came to louis I shouldn't say he came back to Louisville, but he walked on last year when he transferred in so with peers of all the comments and I guess criticism that was out there, and I don't want to act as if people were bashing the young man. I mean, Louisville one's sixty to nothing.
Speaker 3: But what I.
Speaker 2: Heard more than anything in regards to Pierce last week was how small he looked. And I don't you know, I've never thought he was a guy that was going to get out there and we'd say to ourselves, Wow, we've got ourselves a big, a big gunslinger out there.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's listed at six ' to one.
Speaker 2: That's really not that short, although I will admit I don't know how real that six ' one is because he didn't look six to one to me. But then again, we're comparing him to Tyler Shuck who's six six, So you know, Pierce didn't look smooth. He did not look super sure of himself. But here's the excuse that I'm glad Jeff Brahm had mentioned. I think he might have said this at his press conference or maybe he said it on his Coaches show, that you know, this is the first year they're doing technology in the helmet where you can communicate with your quarterbacks via headset like and and by the way, did you see the the picture that's gone viral the you know, the equip the staffers who work with equipment for these programs, like the equipment manager and and and the folks that work for them, they're now having to charge helmets. Think about think about how many helmets you've got. You gotta charge your helmet like that's just something you've never had to do before when it comes to equipment management.
Speaker 3: But anyways, when.
Speaker 2: Pierce got in for his first series, those weren't working, so there was some there was not a lot of communicator. They didn't they're talking to peers. They don't know initially that he can't hear them. So when the so there was there was some miscommunication there that was nobody's fault other than technology, So that might have been why he looked a little bit again unsure of himself. So I'm hopeful that and I think he will get some reps tomorrow and hopefully he looks a little more, a little more smooth, and I I I don't think there's gonna be any I mean, I guess the only scenario where my thoughts on Pierce will change from now until I don't know next year is if, in fact, he does get a lot of reps this year because Shuck went down and they went to him. Because with Peers, if he does get valuable snaps and he looks solid, he looks like he's improving with each opportunity he gets to come in in a big blowout, that'll be encouraging. But it doesn't mean that Jeff won't still look at what quarterbacks are going to be in the portal and bring in somebody who he feels like could be really good here. And it won't even he that won't have anything to do with Peers. So it's just a it's a new world now to where if you're a coach, the days of just knowing you're about to hand the reins off to this guy who's been sitting there for two years. That maybe the way some coaches go about it. However, it may also be, you know, you know, it may also be something that no coaches want to do because they if they can go with somebody they've watched on film who's played real college football for multiple years and they like what that guy brings to the table, it wouldn't shock me if every coach decides to take that path rather than just trusting that a kid who only has you know, real high school experience as your full time starter, Like that's a bigger risk, and sometimes the risk pays off, right Like Miller Moss at USC. He's a great example. He waited for three years before he got an opportunity at USC, playing behind Kayleb Williams. And there was another guy they brought in and I think was ahead of him on the depth chart that ended up transferring to Boise State and he didn't win the job there either. But Miller Moss, he sat around and waited, and he really showed against Louisville in that Bowl game last year what he can do, and he picked up where he left off with a really good performance against LSU this past weekend. So you know, I don't act like I'm anti Piercer, acting like he won't be the quarterback of the future. But I just know that even if he does enough this year in backup mop up duty that looks encouraging, Jeff will probably still bring in a really good quarterback in the portal if he can do that, and that'll lead to a lot of fans saying, well, I guess that means he doesn't like Pierce Clarkson because people did that last year with and I don't think it.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's going to be anything to do with Pierce.
Speaker 2: I think it's just going to be coaches can take advantage of the portal, and my goodness, Jeff Brahm has shown us that he's going to be a coach that's gonna utilize it to his strengths. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along.
Speaker 3: Stick with us. It's coffee and company.
Speaker 2: Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, This is Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety, about thirty minutes left before we get out of here for the weekend. For those of you that did miss this story earlier at WDRB, we talked about it in the three o'clock hour, the porch pooping. It became a big, big story here locally in just not something you typically see. It got so much attention just because of the unusualness here that it made it all the way to TMZ, Barstool Sports had different write ups about it, and you know, anytime there'd be an update, and I would think to myself, let me back up. Anytime there was an update before today, I would always think to myself, man, like I have so many questions here, like this doesn't make any sense, Like what how could this happen? And I thought to myself, maybe there's going to be something that comes out to where we find out. Okay, well that makes sense. And I thought, you know, maybe it's a publicity stunt. Maybe it is just something that you know, somebody wanted to do to see if they could make it on the local news and keep it rolling along. Like you know, I had no clue, but like there's got to be some explanation here, and we do now know the explanation as to what was going on, And honestly, John did a great job I think in the three o'clock hour of kind of laying out that despite this being you know, not a good thing by any means, but for everybody involved, the explanation here was really best case scenario. I mean, it's unfortunate still, I don't want to paint it as some great thing, but L and PD did announce earlier today that they now have identified who this person is and they won't publicly identify this person and they will not be charged with any crime because they've now determined that this is an adult male with with autism. And you know, just talking about it earlier, there's some other folks that have texted in some things they've heard since this became, you know, the update that explains it that this is somebody that is a special needs person. But some have said this this this young man has high level autism, high level autistic and has had some recent family issues that have kind of thrown him thrown him off a little bit. So hopefully there are people that are compassion here and and you know, this is a struggle for you know, for a lot of folks as somebody who's a father of a special needs child. You know, first thing I thought of when I saw the news of you know, the explanation, I thought, well, okay, that one that makes sense. This is somebody that is special needs. But also, you know, I love that LMPD just wanted to update people so they know what's going on and hopefully the story just dies off. You know, I have, I have, you know, fears of my own as a father of a special needs child, of you know, bad things like you know, just things that are just hardships you're going to endure that are you know of unavoidable at times. And it's not like hardships and worry for me, it's the worry you have for your for your child, which is a worry that you know, until you've been there, you really and I don't mean you have to have a child with special needs, but like when you're a parent, the worry you have for your child in general, the love you have for them, you wanting to keep them safe and you know, protect them, like it's it's a special thing that you really can't understand until you are in that position. So I just had like an awful visual of like they never finding out what was going on here with this special needs autistic man and somebody's like staging out the house because I think it was quite clear people could figure out where this was going on, and somebody just trying to catch this guy in the act and get out their phone and get some video and go viral, not knowing that they would be potentially harassing and making fun of somebody that has special needs. So again, I you know, not a not a not a good story by any means overall, but I think the update here is one that again to credit John, I think it's really best case scenario for everybody. I'm sure the homeowners understanding as to what happened, and they're, uh, they're compassionate, and you know, obviously it's not something that they want somebody defecating on their on their front door, but at least now they they can make some sense of it and hopefully they have some compassion. Clearly, l MPD is I think doing a good deed by letting everybody know, so that way it people stop bringing it up and it can kind of just die off, and you know, the family of this of this man, and you know, everybody involved can can you know, hopefully get through this and and and you know, deal with whatever they're going.
Speaker 3: Through because it's tough. It's tough stuff, all right.
Speaker 2: Uh real quick, let me talk to you once again about the fine folks my friends over at Jefferson Animal Hospital. Uh, if you have a pet, it's part of your family.
Speaker 3: I mean it is.
Speaker 2: I I couldn't relate to that growing up because I I had a dog and he was fine, But like I didn't, you know, I just did have the close bond with a pet growing up like a lot of people did. I'm married into being a pet parent, if you will. My wife super close with her dog, who has since passed away, and that really helped me kind of understand it because he was part of our family. He and I didn't get along a whole lot. But you know what, when I thought about my family after I got married, even after we had kids, I thought about our dog, just because it's life. So you never know when something's gonna happen with your dog, right, Things can happen, They can get ill, there can be accidents, and you know that'll make you panic. Well, I'm telling you if that does happen, it's only one place you need to turn to, and that is the Jefferson Animal Hospital. They've got the Regional Emergency Center over there on outer Loop and they've been serving the Louisville community for forty four years. Since nineteen eighty, they have been open twenty four hours a day, including all holidays, with a doctor on site every night including Christmas. That's right, any day or night or shift. Jefferson Animal Hospitals dedicated doctors and staff have you and your pets covered in the case of an emergency. Emergencies aren't something you plan, right, They just happen and it can be scary and you might not know what to do. Well, I'm telling you what to do. That's trust the fine folks at Jefferson Animal Hospital and Regional Emergency Center. So you can schedule an appointment. Obviously that's not an emergency situation, but you can schedule an appointment any day or night, or you can walk right in. These are people who save lives every day. They're very proud of what they do, as they should be. So again, it's Jefferson Animal Hospital. They're open twenty four hours on outer Loop. You can give him a call five ooh two nine hundred pets or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. All right, Connor Stallions, he's back in the news. He's going to be a head coach this weekend. In fact, he might be coaching tonight. I would imagine, considering he's coaching in the high school ranks, that it's probably a high school situation. But he was the defensive coordinator. He was hired as a decordinator for some school in Detroit. Yeah, Detroit Mumford High School. Well, he's now the head coach at this school because the head coach himself, William McMichael, has had a stroke and is going to be needing a few weeks off to recover, may not even return this season. So Connor Stallion's the head coach for the Detroit Mumford High School. Whatever their mascot is, I'm not sure, but if you're so, he's coaching in Detroit, Michigan. You know one of the In fact, when this story came out that he'd actually landed a job, it was honestly broke by somebody who got an early look at the Netflix documentary, because they do that from time to time. It happened to me one time I felt really special. When they did the HBO documentary on the bag Man what is his name, Christian Dawkins for the whole FBI scandal. The director of that documentary that ended up on HBO reached out to me and gave me access to it and I could interview the director, and I felt so important being able to get an early look at something like that.
Speaker 3: That PR emails.
Speaker 2: I mean like, well, but what happens is the PR folks they want to put this in front of a market that would be more interested than most. It's a fascinating story in general, but my goodness, it's about Rick Patino. I mean, so Louisville being the market, like it made sense for them to want to want to want to get you know, somebody like myself talking about it, who had an early look at it. So anyways, that's how the news broke that Connor Stallions was an assistant coach at this high school, because they actually showed footage at the end of the documentary of him coaching in high school, and the head coach, once he became public, said, yeah, I've got the most hated man in the country on my sideline running my defense, which probably somewhat of an accurate statement, because Connor Stallions is the guy who was really the main I mean, he was the guy out there, boots on the ground helping execute a huge, you know plan scheme to cheat, and that's exactly what they did. He can say whatever he wants, but in Michigan, the guys, like Michigan fans can't hate him, right, like Michigan, Like if he's coaching against like, let's just say Connor Stallions takes this team Detroit Mumford High School on the road next week and he's playing in rural Michigan, somewhere where that entire town they love the Wolverines, the Blue and Maze. He's probably getting a standing Oh is he? Note? Come, he ain't getting booed.
Speaker 4: He didn't get into like East Lansing or Michigan State territory where you're gonna get into some hostile environment.
Speaker 2: By the way, Michigan State looked like the biggest bunch of bitches in that documentary. I didn't realize this. They they had every play called in last year during that game, like sent in, they wouldn't do signals and they got killed and still blamed like they acted like they got killed because Michigan State cheated when you didn't actually even hold up signals for anybody to steal, you actually had your quarterback run over there. Like they just looked so weak and so like, I don't know, like I guess what they say in the rivalry world is a little brotherish. But like they got killed and they they're going through a rough year. They'd already fired what's his name before the Milton started. And they weren't good last year, were they?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and they're not gonna be good this year, are they?
Speaker 4: I mean, they won't beat fau By.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: So Anyways, Connor Stallion's coaching high school football probably tonight, which uh, you know, probably not what he envisioned he'd be doing whenever he was given the game ball after some big ten victories for Michigan, because you know, he was the best cheater and he changed things for him. The worst part about it is, even if that didn't have a huge impact on their success, man, the timing of it is just not ideal. Like they did not really turn the corner and become elite until he started really executing. And I think knowing that he got the game ball, knowing what his role was. Like, that's to me, that's the most damaging evidence that Harball didn't know what this guy was doing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: That's that's almost it feels like them admitting not intentionally, that he was instrumental in the wins that they got or whatever win that you know he got the game ball for specifically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: I didn't get I mean I don't. I don't care enough about Michigan to like get bothered by. I actually think they were really really good last year, but the untold producers and directors like like whoever's in charge, because each each episode probably has different people from a creative standpoint working on it. But their theme lately is just those are pr pieces for the people they profile, which is really not what a documentary is like. You're not supposed to be having any creative control on a documentary about yourself or your story. It's somebody who wants to tell your story. But people who do this, you know, the right way, they understand their credibility in that world relies on being real and honest and not just trying to tell one side of a story. But I think Michael Jordan in the last dance docuseries. It kind of made it to where that was such a big hit, so well done that I think creatively a lot of these producers and directors when it comes to documentary stuff, they're like, yeah, we could, probably, we could probably, you know, tell one side and not every angle of it and it might make better story. But I know a lot of people who watched that Connor Stallions thing ended up not feeling it, probably felt like they wasted their time, be honest with you. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. Not a whole lot of time left before we have to say goodbye, but we will finish the show.
Speaker 3: Use the time.
Speaker 2: We have to talk about some of our picks this weekend, so stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety all right, So tonight with the Packers in the Eagles, I'm just gonna go. I'm gonna go Eagles. I'm gonna go Philly minus too in the NFL. You got any action you stay away from the NFL night in the NFL tonight, I hear you, any thought, any thoughts on Texas in Michigan Right now it is Texas minus seven. I'm just going I'm going Texas money line, although I don't love it. I have no clue what's gonna happen in this game, but I'm trusting that Texas will be able to just at least pull off a victory here even if they don't cover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this will be a good test for one Sharon More in Michigan. I personally think he's gonna end up being a bum, but I mean, you never know. If I were betting this game, i'd probably take the Texas to cover this one.
Speaker 3: You are are all in on Iowa?
Speaker 2: I am correct, yes, so right now it is Iowa minus three. What did you get it at two and a half? Okay, so right now, man, the public is on your side. The money as well. Sixty four percent of the money coming in is on the Hawkeys to cover ninety percent of the money that's come in on the total John is under thirty five.
Speaker 4: And of course, so I guess we have a small sample size from the new look Iowa offense, but I happen to think they're gonna do pretty well this year.
Speaker 2: We'll see, Yeah, I one game. I'm really looking forward tomorrow night. I'm not gonna watch it from start to finish, but I do like Kansas minus four and a half against Illinois. I'm a believer in Kansas's not as an elite team, but I think they'll they'll take care of business there and then NC State and Tennessee. Right now, as we speak, it is Tennessee minus nine opened up at Tennessee minus five and a half.
Speaker 3: This is insane.
Speaker 2: Ninety five percent of the money is on Tennessee to cover here, John.
Speaker 4: I've got I got it at eight and a half, and I'm very confident in this, as apparently the rest of the betting world is. But the one thing I have when it comes to a fear with this game is the fact that maybe a lot of people, including myself, are just overreacting to Tennessee's big win and then on top of that the close game that NC State had with Western Carolina in Week one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if this ends up not hitting and Tennessee doesn't cover or ends up losing, it'll be that we just overreacted to n C State. But look, I don't think Grayson McCall is going to be a stellar when he's going up against an SEC team. I know Tennessee's not typically known for their defense, but this is a different world for him. Tennessee on their end, their quarterback, he's apparently believed to be one of the next Phenom's a guy that could be, you know, a first pick overall in the NFL draft when it's whenever he's eligible to be drafted. So I'll probably tell you on this one just because I just think Tennessee is that much better. And then I have to bet on this game. This is emotionally a wager as well, Like emotion is involved here, but I also believe it. Nebraska minus six and a half against Colorado.
Speaker 3: I've got that too good.
Speaker 4: I just feel like this is a perfect time to really put d On back in the call.
Speaker 1: Fim.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not that he was ever in it, but you know, in it for the first time.
Speaker 2: I mean again, I think just because of the flash. I mean, did you see him complaining this week about he was complaining this week about how his two guys weren't being talked at as the two Heisman favorites. Dude, you beat an FCS team by five, you bomb, you boom. But like, if they get housed by Nebraska, maybe that'll be a sign whenever the people who still like are gonna worship d On Even if he doesn't win, maybe they'll have an awakening and think, Okay, this guy might actually not be a great coach or even a remotely good coach. Anyways, I love it football seasons here, folks. Enjoy your weekend. Come back right here for us tomorrow for all the coverage for the Louisville game, and I will talk to you then right here on Sports Talk seven ninety
Speaker 1: N