Speaker 1: This is WBZ, Boston's news radio. We defining local news. Hello Friday, Where have you been? But it's good to have you back six o'clock on this Friday morning. And look at this cloudy skies once again, another damp field to the air, fifty two degrees here in Boston as we get started this morning. The News at six is brought to us by your New England Toyota Dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. Thanks for being with us today. I'm Jeff Brown. So how low can you go?
Speaker 2: Cloudy today? Breeze?
Speaker 1: It is much cool with some rain during the midday at afternoon hours. Temperature city then beginning to fall a bit this afternoon at is WBZ achy weather meteorologist Joe Lundberg. The steadiest and heaviest rain arrives late today and into the overnight hours. We'll only be in the forties and fifties today. Better times, though, are coming this weekend. When jurors returned to the courtroom in the Karen Reid case this morning, a Massachusetts State Police sergeant who spent all day on the stand yesterday will still be there. Sergeant Yuri Buchanic, one of the lead investigators, into the Death into the Death of John O'Keefe tells the court about controversial and crude text messages sent by one of his subordinates, the since fired trooper Michael Proctor. Buchanic also lost five vacation days as punishment for failing to properly supervise Proctor following the controversy which emerged during Reid's first trial. Proctor's messages about Reed's personal appearance and mental demeanor were sent to colleagues and friends. No days off for Pope Leo the fourteenth.
Speaker 2: Through the Ministry of Peter.
Speaker 3: You have called me to carry that cross and to be blessed with that mission.
Speaker 1: The new Pope jumps right into his new job while by celebrating a private Mass for the College of Cardinals at the Sistine Chapel in Vatican City this morning. The former Cardinal Robert Prevost will hold his first blessing in Saint Peter Square for the faithful on Sunday. Pope Leo follows in the footsteps of the first to take the name, some sixteen hundred years ago, the most recent at the turn of the twentieth century. Celtics prepped for Game three against the new York Knickerbockers. That series moves to Madison Square Garden. It's on tomorrow afternoon at three point thirty. NHL Playoffs. How about this? Edmonton takes a two games to none lead over the Vegas Nights, with an overtime victory to seal the deal. Red Sox around the road, A tough trip waits with a weekend series in Kansas City against the Red Hot Royals. Along with them a disgruntled designated hitter WBC's Drew Mohalland this year, this doesn't sound like it's heading in the right direction, does it?
Speaker 3: Can I tell you something? I was at Fenway yesterday. The sun was shining, the socks were winning, the pitching was putting up. Zero's Rafael Devers launching a home run over the monster.
Speaker 2: He'll take down the left field, let's head it back toward the wall.
Speaker 1: Soon.
Speaker 3: A beautiful dat good day going around and the home stand. And then I see this, Rafael Devers not happy about being asked to play first base. Of course, they have injury problems there. There was that whole saga in spring training where they wanted him to be the DH and now he's just not happy being asked to go to first base, but the general manager, so he voiced his opinion after the game, and now we have chaos. Jeffrey, three hundred and thirty million dollars.
Speaker 1: Year is that contract and a long way to go too. You know, a lot of former players will say in today's baseball, you got to play wherever, because that's part of the game. Kevin Malarga said that, Kevin Millar said the other night, and so it's it remains to be seen. I just I don't understand why they are not there. They're treading very carefully around Rafael Devers. Yeah, somebody better find him a glove. I think I think that might happen, but that remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Andrew, thank you. And we are starting to see the first of the rain beginning to fall out in the Berkshires and heading towards central mass At this hour now here in Boston, it might feel a little bit damp, but we are certainly waking up under cloudy skies, no precipitation. Right now here in eastern Massachusetts, it is just fifty two degree and unfortunately that's about the high temperature of the day. So the rain is going to be arriving here in Greater Boston, at least the first wave of it later stages of the morning into the early afternoon, and then it will pick up an intensity later on in the day into the nighttime hours as well. When all is said and done, we could see up to two inches of precipitation. The heaviest downpours will be out in portions of central Massachusetts, and temperatures are only going to be in the upper forties to low fifties today. This is not a very good day, so as we move forward though into the weekend, the showers will come to an end. Tomorrow we'll start to see some brighter skies and some sunshine in the afternoon. Highs will be in the upper sixties. Mother's Day is coming up on Sunday, and it's going to be spectacular with plenty of sunshine and into the low seventies. That looks like it's going to begin another change here in our trend as we head into next week with more sunshine and warmer air moving in. Right now, it's fifty two and clouds in Boston six oh six this Friday morning, and yes, time is running out to give props to mom.
Speaker 2: There's nothing grander than that of a mother's love. Though this family is Mother's Day destination comes pretty close.
Speaker 1: We are going to the Grand Canyon.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm hoping to experience just the beautiful Granger. For lack of a better word, Lisa's daughters were lacking some better words of their own when asked if gifts were ready, okays on the spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am is on Prime. I guess two days.
Speaker 2: You better get it quick. Lim from Revere has a more solid game plan. I'm gonna give my wife some free time, take the kids out to go out and have fun, and uh my mom's coming into town and we're gonna go I think do some brunch on the beach.
Speaker 1: James Rojas w b Z Boston some news radio video gamers find themselves on Cloud nine in Boston these days.
Speaker 4: I am cosplaying as buy from Arcade or if you know League of Legends, how about you, And I'm Jason from the same show.
Speaker 2: Cosplay.
Speaker 4: Fun and Games is the bye inside Packs East at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. Outside, however, not fun at all. With PAX being the largest gaming convention in the East, Traffic in the Seaport district will be worse than usual, so much so that Wren and Jackie from Boston got a hotel in Boston. It's rough with traffic, trying to get around people.
Speaker 1: Parking is horrendous around Ereon.
Speaker 4: Traffic is expected to be the heaviest between eight am and noon and two to seven pm Thursday through Sunday. In addition, two graduations are being held at the Leader Bank Pavilion, one on Thursday and one on Saturday. From the Seaport Sherry Small, WBZ Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News Radio