Speaker 1: Welcome to your custom deep dive. Today. We're going to explore hacking in cybersecurity with this book, pifes or GTFO, real world exploits, coding tricks, you name it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a hacker's almanac. Really a collection of articles really gets you thinking differently about how technology works, where vulnerabilities lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and right away I was drawn to the section on anti forensics.
Speaker 2: That's a good starting point for sure. It highlights this back and forth between hackers covering their tracks and investigators trying to uncover everything. There's one technique involves a disc overwriting its own data while it's being imaged, so.
Speaker 1: They're basically erasing the evidence in real.
Speaker 2: Time, exactly like a puzzle. The pieces are vanishing right as the forensic team is trying to put it together.
Speaker 1: Clever but unsettling. Makes you think strong security from the start is just so crucial.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, prevention is key. But sc or GTFO doesn't shy away from offensive techniques either. It dives deep into how hackers exploit these systems. Take elf files for example.
Speaker 1: Elf files remind me those.
Speaker 2: Are executable and linkable format files, essentially instructions for your computer. But hackers can manipulate the metadata within these files, tiny details most people would overlook to hide malicious code.
Speaker 1: So it's like slipping a secret message in the margins of a document.
Speaker 2: Great analogy, and when that file is executed, the hidden code springs into action.
Speaker 1: Makes you wonder how many files out there that seem harmless could be harboring malicious code.
Speaker 2: It really shows the hackers creativity and deep understanding of these file formats. Another example is the ifunc mechanism in libic, which is this fundamental library that many systems use.
Speaker 1: I'm not familiar with lip could be honest, what is it?
Speaker 2: So libtct think of it like a toolbox full of essential functions that programs use for everyday tasks, you know, things like printing to the screen or reading files, and this ifunc mechanism it lets you swap out these functions while things are running, like switching tools mid task. But hackers can hijack this mechanism to execute their own instead of the intended functions.
Speaker 1: So it's like in the middle of building a bookshelf, you reach for a screwdriver, but get a hammer, throws everything.
Speaker 2: Off, exactly subverting the existing functionalities for malicious purposes. You know, one story that grabbed my attention was this gold ATM hack. Sounds like a heist movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, So.
Speaker 2: A group of hackers they're given permission to hack a gold plated ATM designed with top notch security, both in terms of software and the physical defenses.
Speaker 1: Sounds impenetrable.
Speaker 2: But here's where it gets interesting. They bypassed all the software completely. They focus on the physical. Found a weakness at the back, a jumble of cables, exploited that to gain access.
Speaker 1: So software vulnerability just bypassed everything fancy by going for the physical hardware.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the simplest approach is the most effective, and it makes you realize security has many facets. Can't just focus on software. You need to consider the physical stuff too. It ties into the next concept, the illusion of a single computer.
Speaker 1: What do they mean by that? Aren't computers single units?
Speaker 2: We tend to think of a computer as one thing, but it's more like an ecosystem of connected components cpu cores, memory buses. You've got expansion buses, storage, networking, interrupts. All interacting in Each component could have its own vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Like thinking of a city as one building when it's really a network of systems, each with its own weak points.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to picture it, and it raises a question, how do you secure something so complex? Post c or GTFO explores this with the idea of a b Butlerian typewriter.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds interesting. What's a Butlerian typewriter?
Speaker 2: Well, think of it as a thought experiment. Imagine a device that can't store data or connect to anything. A typewriter physically incapable of.
Speaker 1: Being hacked completely offline, no saving information makes sense for privacy, But wouldn't that limit what it can do exactly?
Speaker 2: It forces us to think about the trade offs security, functionality, our reliance on digital connection. Could we create something immune to data breaches? What would we have to give?
Speaker 1: Thought provoking for sure? Now for something a bit more, let's say alarming burning a phone with software? How is that possible? Software can't physically damage hardware? Can it?
Speaker 2: Unsettling?
Speaker 1: Isn't it?
Speaker 2: Software can manipulate a phone's power regulation battery charging. Push those systems too far and you can actually damage the circuitry, like overloading a circuit causing it to fry.
Speaker 1: So lines of code can fry of phones insights.
Speaker 2: It highlights that software can have physical consequences, or a reminder that we often take technology for granted without understanding the complexities.
Speaker 1: It's being a basics. The book had a section on basic. Isn't that outdated?
Speaker 2: It might seem like a relic, but basic is relevant to security and hacking. The simplicity forces you to grasp programming fundamentals, which is key for reverse engineering. Think of it as the alphabet of computers. Learn the alphabet you can read, understand more complex code, and that's how you spot vulnerabilities, how you figure out how systems work.
Speaker 1: So master the fundamentals before tackling the complex stuff. Learned to walk before you can run.
Speaker 2: Precisely, Sometimes the most effective solutions are rooted in simplicity.
Speaker 1: Okay, last, but not least, let's talk about polyglots, like something out of a spy.
Speaker 2: Novel, files that can be interpreted as different file types. A digital master of disguise might look like a harmless JPEG image, but it could also contain hidden code that executes when open with a different program.
Speaker 1: It's a chameleon blending in and then bam reveals its true nature.
Speaker 2: The book dives into specific examples like JPEG, PDFPNG polyglots. A single file masquerading as three different types.
Speaker 1: Hold on one file can trick three different programs.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that ability to deceive is what makes them dangerous. They slip past security filters, trick users into executing malicious code without realizing it.
Speaker 1: Ingenius and terrifying. Never take anything for granted in the digital world.
Speaker 2: A key takeaway from PAC or GTFO. The digital world is full of hidden complexities, and we need to be questioning how things work.
Speaker 1: Always Well my mind is I think I need a moment to process all this before we dive into the next batch of exploits.
Speaker 2: Take your time, we'll pick up where we left off next time, exploring even more fascinating and sometimes unsettling concepts from post C or GTFO. Welcome back. Ready to go deeper with post C or GTFO.
Speaker 1: Absolutely still thinking about those polyglots, digital chameleons blending right.
Speaker 2: In really highlight how deceptive these threats can be. Speaking of deception, let's talk about random number generators or RNGs.
Speaker 1: Rng's I know they generate random numbers, but how are they a security risk?
Speaker 2: Well, in the digital world, true randomness is hard to achieve. Most RNGs use algorithms to make numbers seem random, but if a hacker figures out.
Speaker 1: That algorithm, you can predict the.
Speaker 2: Numbers exactly, and that can be bad for security encryption keys. For example, if they're generated with a predictable RNG, a hacker could crack the encryption.
Speaker 1: That's scary, like playing cards when your opponent knows what's in your hand.
Speaker 2: The book actually talks about a vulnerability, and a simplified version of the Dacoran RNG shows how a small flaw can be exploited.
Speaker 1: Not just theoretical. Then this happens in the real world.
Speaker 2: Imagine an online gambling site using a predictable RNG. A hacker who cracks it could predict the outcome of poker roulette unfair advantage, so they could rig the system exactly. Shows how these abstract math concepts have real consequences in the digital world.
Speaker 1: So should we be skeptical of anything claiming to be random.
Speaker 2: A little skepticism is always good. True randomness is tricky, and computing any flaw in an RNG potential security nightmare.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on from random numbers, the kosher phone concept that was interesting.
Speaker 2: It is an intriguing idea. Modify a phone's firmware, remove features some communities consider inappropriate, distracting, social media apps, games, certain types of Internet access.
Speaker 1: A curated digital environment tailor to specific values.
Speaker 2: Exactly using technology that aligns with your beliefs and priorities.
Speaker 1: But how do they modify the firmware sounds technically challenging.
Speaker 2: The book describes how someone figured out the encryption on a Nokia twenty seven to twenty phone, which allowed them to change the firmware bypass restrictions.
Speaker 1: Wait, they cracked the encryption. That's complex.
Speaker 2: It takes a deep understanding of the phones software and hardware, for sure, but it shows even secure firmware can be modified if you know what you're doing.
Speaker 1: So even with these kosher phones, there's still control, just by a different party. It reminds you that technology is rarely neutral. There are always choices about what's allowed and what's not.
Speaker 2: That's a really sharp observation. It raises questions about who gets to decide what we can do with our devices.
Speaker 1: Okay, ready for something fun. The Tetris game that's also a boot sector that was in the book.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, classic example of creativity in the hacking community. They fit a whole Tetris game into the five hundred and twelve bytes of a boot sector.
Speaker 1: Wait, you can play Tetris while your computer boots up.
Speaker 2: Amazing more than a trick, though, It shows you can push the limits of code. Even the smallest environments can be used for something unexpected, delightful.
Speaker 1: Limitations sparking creativity.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and that spirit is all over pt or GTFO exploring, experimenting, challenging how we think.
Speaker 1: Okay, this one's a bit more head scratching, exploiting affuses with Unicode. Not even sure where to start with that.
Speaker 2: Let's break it down. Effuses they're like tiny fuses inside a device, permanently programmed with settings, often for security.
Speaker 1: So once they're set, there's no changing.
Speaker 2: Them, right, like tiny switches you can only flip once. But here's the thing. Some programs use a special comment in their code to declare the files encoding as UTF eight UTF.
Speaker 1: Eight that's for Unicode characters. But how does that relate to effuses.
Speaker 2: While the book says some programs misread these comments, it can cause them to read data from affuses. They shouldn't be able to.
Speaker 1: Access a hidden back door created by a misunderstanding.
Speaker 2: Of the code precisely shows the danger of assuming how software should act. Even something like a comment about character encoding can have unexpected security issues.
Speaker 1: Hackers find these vulnerabilities in the most unexpected places amazing.
Speaker 2: That's what makes PPC or GTFOL so valuable. Exposes these complexities makes us think critically about the systems we rely on, question our assumptions.
Speaker 1: This is changing how I think about cybersecurity. It's not just firewalls, antivirus, it's understanding how these systems work on a deeper level.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The more you understand, the better you can protect yourself.
Speaker 1: Speaking of protection and encryption, that sounded like something from a magic show.
Speaker 2: Pretty clever technique. A file that, when you encrypt it with one algorithm becomes a different file type.
Speaker 1: So encrypted jpeg, it becomes a PDF. Digital alchemy.
Speaker 2: Great way to put it. Manipulating fileheaders, data structures, exploiting how different file formats are parsed like a chameleon, changing colors to blend.
Speaker 1: In a file that adapts depending on how it's viewed.
Speaker 2: Exactly, not limited to two file types either. The authors make a file that can be a jpeg, a PDF, even a PE executable, a Windows program.
Speaker 1: File, one file, three different things. That's impressive, scary.
Speaker 2: It's a powerful technique that shows how deceptive cybersecurity threats can be, and it underlines the importance of understanding file formats how they can be manipulated.
Speaker 1: Okay, my mind is officially blown. Anything else that'll keep me up at night?
Speaker 2: How about netwatch, a proof of concept tool lets you debug a computer from outside its operating system.
Speaker 1: You mean, controlling a computer without being logged in?
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, exploits a future called System management Mode or SMM.
Speaker 1: SMM not familiar.
Speaker 2: That it's a special mode in most modern computers, runs in the background, separate from the main OS handles things like power, system security, a.
Speaker 1: Hidden operating system alongside the main one good.
Speaker 2: Way to think about it. And because SMM is so low level, often undocumented, it's a target for hackers. Netwatch lets someone tap into this, observe, even manipulate the system. Really deep level stuff.
Speaker 1: A secret backdoor right into the computer's.
Speaker 2: Heart exactly, and it highlights the complexity in our systems, the potential for exploitation we might not even know about.
Speaker 1: It's a rabbit hole the more we dig, the more we find.
Speaker 2: That's the beauty and the challenge of cybersecurity. Always more to learn, threats, always evolving, but understanding the basics, staying curious, that's how we protect ourselves and the systems we rely on.
Speaker 1: Speaking of basics, what about a H two point one point five point four. I know that's wireless stuff like zigbe, but what are the security implications?
Speaker 2: POUSE or GTFO looks at a technique called packet and packet PIP. It can bypass security on these networks packet.
Speaker 1: And packet, hiding one message inside another.
Speaker 2: Great analogy. It's putting data within other data packets. Security filters often miss this, so it can be used to sneak bad code or data onto a network like a.
Speaker 1: Trojan horse, sneaking past defenses.
Speaker 2: The book even shows how to make PIP attacks even harder to detect, misaligning the symbols within the packets.
Speaker 1: Misaligning symbols sounds like next level hacking.
Speaker 2: It's understanding the details of the protocol exploit nuances most people wouldn't even think about.
Speaker 1: There's a pattern here. Hacking is as much about creativity, thinking outside the box as it is technical skills.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's about challenging assumptions, experimenting, pushing the limits.
Speaker 1: Well, this part of the deep dive has been a lot to take in. I need a minute to process at all before we get to the final exploits from payog or GTFO.
Speaker 2: Take your time. We'll be back soon to wrap up this journey into the world of hacking and cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, final part of our deep dive into payo or GTFO. This book has really really opened my eyes to like the hidden stuff, vulnerabilities in the technology we use every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a wild ride for sure through this whole world of hacking and cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: So, last leg of the journey. What mind bending exploits do you have for me?
Speaker 2: Let's start with something called an aldy rand backdoor r D rand.
Speaker 1: That sounds familiar, something to do with random number generation on Intel CPUs good memory.
Speaker 2: It's an instruction on newer Intel processors suppose to give you these high quality random numbers, really important for encryption.
Speaker 1: Okay, so where's the backdoor part coming.
Speaker 2: Well, the book describes as technique manipulating the box.
Speaker 1: Emulator box emulator. I don't know that.
Speaker 2: One it's software lets you simulate computer hardware, like creating a virtual computer inside your computer. The author they were able to tweak box to make a back door that leaks data through rd.
Speaker 1: Rand, So it's not truly random. It's being manipulated to give out specific data.
Speaker 2: You got it, And because it's at the hardware level, it'd be super hard to detect, like whispering a secret message within random noise.
Speaker 1: That's both ingenious and terrifying, like a secret message hidden in plain sight, but on a tiny level.
Speaker 2: The author even goes further, suggests a generic by eighty six back door that could be almost impossible to.
Speaker 1: Detect, undetectable.
Speaker 2: How it's exploiting, like the deep complexities of BY eighty six architecture, those little things that allow for manipulation without setting off any alarms. It's like ah, a ghost in the machine, leaves no trace.
Speaker 1: Starting to feel like there's nowhere safe in the digital world. If even the hardware can be messed with, Where do we draw the line.
Speaker 2: It's not about despare it's about awareness. POC or GTFO wants to give us knowledge, not scare us. The more we understand these vulnerabilities, the better we can handle them.
Speaker 1: Knowledge is power, right, The more we know, the better we can protect.
Speaker 2: Ourselves exactly, and sometimes that knowledge is surprising. Like there's this article about a breakout board for many PCIe many.
Speaker 1: PCIe that's for connecting network cars, hard drives, that kind of stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Right, the author they show you how to make a breakout board that lets you connect a mini PCIe device to a USB port.
Speaker 1: Okay, but why is that a security thing?
Speaker 2: Think about it. You can now control PCIe devices, which are usually only accessible inside the computer from an external device.
Speaker 1: So you could get into a computer's hard drive network card from outside the system.
Speaker 2: That's the point. It creates all these new ways to exploit things. The author even shows how to use this to run Linux on an Intel Galilee board, which wasn't designed for that.
Speaker 1: So it's about like bending the rules of hardware, making it do things it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Meant to, exactly, pushing the boundaries of what technology can do. Sometimes that means blurring the lines between how it's supposed to be used and creative misuse.
Speaker 1: Speaking of blurring lines, booting pac or GTFO from a Cisco Blade server, that's a bold move.
Speaker 2: It shows how vulnerable. These remote management interfaces can be the author. They used a security flaw in Cisco system to boot the book from a Blade server, basically turn this high end server into a platform for hacking tools.
Speaker 1: Like hijacking a fortress and using its own weapons against it.
Speaker 2: Powerful analogy. It shows that even these big systems supposedly secure, have weaknesses. Can't get complacent with cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: No system is perfect, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Now let's switch gears a bit Return oriented programming or ROP ROP.
Speaker 1: That sounds intense, What is it.
Speaker 2: Imagine you want to build a house, but you only have pre built rooms. ROP is like arranging those rooms in a clever way to create a new.
Speaker 1: Structure, repurposing existing stuff instead of building from scratch.
Speaker 2: Exactly, ROP makes malicious code by chaining together these little bits of existing code, code that's already in the system, harmless on their own, but arrange them carefully, you can execute any code you want.
Speaker 1: Putting together a puzzle where the pieces are good code but the final picture is bad.
Speaker 2: Great way to think about it. And because the pieces are legitimate, ROP attacks can sneak past security systems looking for normal code injections.
Speaker 1: Was a stealthy way to get in, hiding right there in plain sight.
Speaker 2: The book shows you how rop can exploit a vulnerability in a web browser, real world stuff.
Speaker 1: So that's how they get in. But how do they stay hidden once they're inside? Don't systems have ways to detect intruders?
Speaker 2: Right? They use things like canaries.
Speaker 1: Canaries like the birds they used in coal.
Speaker 2: Mines, exactly. In cybersecurity, canaries are special values. They're put on the stack to detect buffer overflows.
Speaker 1: Stack buffer overflows. Now I'm getting lost.
Speaker 2: Think of the stack like a pile of plates buffer overflows adding too many plates the pile falls over. Canaries are a warning telling the system if someone's messing at the.
Speaker 1: Stack, the trip wire setting off an alarm.
Speaker 2: Great analogy, but poh A Nisi or GTFO describes how attackers can actually disable these canaries. They use special instructions in their shell code, the malicious code.
Speaker 1: They inject, so they disarm the alarm before breaking in.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's this constant back and forth, attackers and defenders, always trying to outsmart each other.
Speaker 1: Security is never finished, it's always changing, adapting.
Speaker 2: Now ready for a dive into the world of Jason P.
Speaker 1: And Rosetta Flash honestly never heard of them. Explain it like, I'm five.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jason p it stands for Jason with padding. It's a way to get data from a different domain, something usually blocked for security, like trying to borrow a book from a library that's not in your network. And Risetta Flash that's a tool lets you create flash files that work with old versions of Flash Player, like translating an a text into a language we use today.
Speaker 1: Okay, but how are those two things abused?
Speaker 2: Hackers can use them together to bypass restrictions steal data from websites, like using a secret backdoor to get into a restricted area.
Speaker 1: So it's a loophole combining two things that seem harmless on.
Speaker 2: Their own exactly, and it shows why updates are important. Old technology often has vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Even in the digital world, things can get old and need fixing up.
Speaker 2: Speaking of manipulation, heard of colliding jpeg files.
Speaker 1: Colliding JPEGs sounds messy. It's making two jpeg files that have the same hash value cash value.
Speaker 2: Remind me, it's like a digital fingerprint unique to each file, an ID. By making colliding JPEGs, hackers trick systems, they accept a bad file disguised as a good one.
Speaker 1: Fake ID that gets past security perfect analogy.
Speaker 2: The book explains how to do this using weaknesses in how JPEGs are compressed.
Speaker 1: So much going on beneath the surface of a simple jpeg.
Speaker 2: That's the whole point of post c or GTFO. It's about looking deeper into technology, nderstanding the little details that can be used for good or for bad.
Speaker 1: This deep dive has been eye opening and a little scary. Makes you realize how much we just trust the tech we use.
Speaker 2: But realizing that is the first step to being safer online. Remember, the more you understand, the better you can protect yourself.
Speaker 1: I definitely feel more informed, even if it means I'll be a little more cautious online.
Speaker 2: Now, being a little cautious online is always a good thing. Stay curious, stay vigilant, keep learning. That's what putc or GTFO is all about, and.
Speaker 1: That's what the deep dive is all about. Thanks for joining us on this exploration. Until next time, Stay safe out there.