Speaker 1: So, of course I really want to see the New York Knicks come back in the series and win. But there is a part of me that is cheering for the Pacers to play the Thunder in the finals so we can hear these Prima Donna, ESPN media guys bitch and moan about their routes.
Speaker 2: Between these two cities.
Speaker 1: Our next guest certainly is not in that group. Certainly is not in that category. He is a man of the people. He enjoys the small towns and cities of America. Dave McManamon, Happy Friday, sir.
Speaker 2: How are you yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, I was born in a small town, just like John Cooper Bella Camp.
Speaker 2: Right, let's go okay.
Speaker 1: Now, the question right off the topic is who's going to be the most bummed out if it's Indianapolis and Oklahoma City, Adam Silver.
Speaker 3: Probably my wife because she loves New York.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: But obviously we're all here for great basketball, and I do believe the way the Nicks have pulled themself off the mat clearly if they get to the finals, they'll be a formidable team. And India I believed throughout. I mean I may have told you this before. JJ Reddick may be Indiana's biggest fan. Throughout the regular season, he just lauded them for being so good on both sides of the ball, being so disciplined, having a deep bench, having so many switchabule defenders who can also shoot, and that's come to bear in the postseason.
Speaker 2: That's because he's buddies with TJ.
Speaker 1: McConnell and don't feed me this hole and don't feed me this whole. I'm just cheering for good basketball. No part of me believes that day for a second.
Speaker 3: I am cheering for the personal experience of being able to cover an NBA Finals game in Mad Square Garden. So there's my bias there. Obviously, had some great memories of the Big East Corn in the Garden with Syracuse when I was in college. I would just love to see the city electric for it. However, Indiana is a great basketball town as well, and that place can get rocket as well. We were just there for All Star Game, you know, last season. They were great hosts city. So whatever worked out so long is what I am truly rooting for is a six or seven game series. I'm tired of these five game series has got the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Now I'm with you there.
Speaker 1: What do you think the small market will do to the TV number? Because you know, nobody that loves basketball will ever have anything but reverence for the great Spurs teams when they were spurring at the highest level of spurring. But some of those finals numbers were not great as far as the TV audience goes. And New York Indiana has been through the roof, but okay, see Minnesota, those numbers have not been great. Dave, what do you think the small market potential nature If the Knicks can't get this done, we'll do to the eyeballs watching the finals?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously if the next art there will be a lower number. Part of the Minnesota OKAC series I covered it was really it was one good game out of five. I mean the other four were quite frankly trash. You know, you had twenty point, forty point thirty point blowouts in those other four games, and that had something to do with it. I do I mean cliche. It will sound like it's kind of like you, you write a good story, We'll find an audience if these are good basketball games, and we'll find an audience, And you know, I think that will be the challenge on whatever team that's coming out of the East will face is you're going against a rested, well oiled machine that will have home court advantage of the thunder. And can you make it a series that will be compelling basketball? Because if it's compelling basketball, like you just kind of throw your hands up and you're like, okay, well, you know that's that's what the league wanted anyway, Right, this whole new CBA was about parody. And if the parody leads to the two teams that getting to the final pinnacle, ability to you know, match styles and and make it a series where it's like teams that are worthy of that pedestal. Like, then I think you live whatever the number is. If the Knicks get there and they get swept in four games, like that doesn't do the league any good any either.
Speaker 2: You know, it does not.
Speaker 1: All Right, before we get I do want to talk Pacers Nicks. But before we do that, let's talk about what happened out this way, because of course you got a front real seat. But before you get there, when you heard Shack's speech last night.
Speaker 2: Didn't make you nervous, Yeah, just a little bit. Who do you think he was talking about specifically.
Speaker 3: I will not venture a guess. He didn't choose to disclose any names on that one, so I will look forward to seeing how the partnership bears out. I'll say that I personally have had a great relationship with pretty much everyone with that numbory. I was just spend a time with Terry Greenberg and okay, see, you know, we spent time of the bubble. I've known EJ and Charles and Shack on a personal basis, not Kunny as much, but you know, I think it will be a great partnership that will have some quirks to it, I think to figure out at the beginning, but I think it's to be cool to have those guys, you know, holding the FPN mic flag at the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: It is so wild.
Speaker 1: You still come on this show when my when my goal every single week is just to make you sweat and corner you and see if I can get you to say something you'd regret.
Speaker 2: You're very good at this day, you know it is.
Speaker 3: It's like a mental challenge. It's like my Sudoku coming on here and try not to slip off, just keep my.
Speaker 1: Brain shout well, good, look, I want to keep you on your toes. I've got I've got to I've got to keep you honest because I'm sure the other affiliates you go on like, hey, tell me about schematically, how Jalen Bruns and guards are pick and roll. I want to keep you frosty, Dave. I want to keep the energy up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I really want to know exactly who you are. Were you impersonating there? Now? I need to put it on you like they're out?
Speaker 1: Oh man, all right, so you know what. Let me let me just ask this question. Can either Indiana or New York make Oklahoma City sweat? Like when when they lock in, when they are guarding, when they're flying up and down. It's of course the shay thing is the shay thing. But they're so deep they're impossible. And you know they have been all year. They're eighty and eighteen, they're twenty nine and one against the East. Do either New York or Indiana have a shot in the hell against OKAC?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think, having seen them completely dismantle a Wolves team that I cover for two rounds and believe that they had a legitimate shot of beating them, I doubt it. Whether the Knicks in that Rockets atmosphere that be of the Garden would be able to maybe get a little bit further because that would be a true home court advantage. Possibly the same time, they're not like a perfect team. The thing that gives them a larger margin of error to work with is they create so many turnovers that and they're also a really good crashing those. Last is that they get like on average in the Minnesota series, who is close to like six or seven more shots on goals in the games that they want, So you don't need to shoot as good of a percentage if you get an extra seven tries to try to, you know, keep up offensively. Shake gillis Ender is a master young master of the game, and even if you take away the foul shots, he's still one of the best scores of the twenty twenty five playoffs. So he's incredible. Where I think they do have some vulnerability is a Chip looked great in Game four against the Wolves, but he wasn't a huge factor of most of that series, and heart and seeing can get in foul trouble and you know, so they are a little vulnerable in the middle. They guess a team like the Knicks that they get there with certainly what we've seen from it to Robinson in Colonnthrea Towns in the Eastern Conference finals. But I think like with the Knicks, the straw that sorts of drink in Jalen Brunson being you know, a little bit undersized and you know, can get you know, kind of crowded by bigger defenders, like they're gonna give him a heck of a time when he gets there. If it's Indy, I think they are the most equivalent team in the East to playing the Thunderstile in terms of like it doesn't really matter who gets the numbers. It has spread you out type of style. They can also defend with multiple bodies. I do this kind of feel like like the Knicks, though would would have a slightly better chance. But I will start, you're romantic. I like the add of a team breaking through and winning. You know, we all know it's been whatever, what's this fifty three years.
Speaker 4: Since the next of one m h yep, yep, And we'll see We'll get there in a moment though, But ultimately the Minnesota takeaway and look, I cheer for the Timberwolves because we had Rudy here of course.
Speaker 1: And who doesn't like Mike Conley. If you don't like Mike Conley, it's a you problem. Nikio Alexander Walker was here wildly. Quinn never never played him, and he was kind of like exactly what they needed. They preferred Royce O'Neill, but we don't have to do a Royce O'Neil vers Nikkeil Alexander Walker segment today.
Speaker 2: And then obviously Joey Ingles as well.
Speaker 1: I know we're supposed to be mad at Aunt, I guess because I watch your network. I like it's odd to me because he's twenty three years old, and I don't know, I feel like some of the reaction has been people upset that he's not more upset at twenty three years old. With all the game in the world, he's got plenty of time to live up to the hype as far as you know, face the league, best domestic player or so many of the MVPs as if late been international guys. They probably need to make a decision on Mike because as much as I love him, it just didn't look great this year.
Speaker 2: He's under contract one more year.
Speaker 1: You know, as a Nick fan, I'm uniquely qualified to talk about your issues if Julius Randall is your number two offensive option. Even though it looked awesome for a minute against or excise me, against Golden State, I thought Julius is probably the best player in that series.
Speaker 2: And they were also able to beat the Lakers.
Speaker 1: So they're gonna be fine based off the fact that they have a superstar who is twenty three years old. But it's clear now two straight years in the Western Conference finals, they've got to find whatever's next to get them to that next level. And the problem is the next level, at least for now and probably for the next three or four years, will reside in Okac. But what's the offseason look like for Minnesota? They also have to make a decision about Tim Conley, right. I think he's a free agent, right, you.
Speaker 3: Know, in speaking to you know, people with knowledge of the new ownership structure, they're big fan in Mark Laurie and Alex Rodriguez are big fans to Tim Conley. So I believe there's a ton of motivation got an extension done there now. Of course, though, because he's proven himself in Denbury and Minnesota, like, there could be some guys how they're off or somewhere else. Like, you got to always keep that in mind. But I think the intention would be to Keith Conley there. The biggest thing that the Wolves can do in terms of getting better for next year is it's really of course, they got to take care of Nazrita to the opts out Joyce Rayndoll if he opts out. I don't think Nikhil Alexander Walker will be extended by them. I think he's going to be the guy that they're going to have to see walk and then hope they can replace his production with Terrence Chang Junior and Rob Dillingham and Jalen Clark who you know, Terrence Chang Junior at thirty five points of the last three five games of the Western Conference Finals have to really not play in all playoffs long. And you know Chris Finch after Game five admitted that on him he needs to lengthen this bench with some of those younger guys. It's those will be the guys that fill the Alexander Walker spot. But really I think the biggest room for improvement here is will be anchetting to the level which we all assume he will. But then Jane McDaniels, and McDaniel's so much better than it was a year ago, but still there's a big gap between him and say Jaylen Williams, who's the second best player for Okay see and you saw that in the series. You know, in game five, Jane McDaniels goes zero for six to start the game and they're down twenty before there's a blink of an eye, And yeah, give him credit for you know, looking to see open scoring opportunities and taking them. That they need a guy to do that, but then you obviously have to convert. So I think they were a team that were treading water a lot of the year. They had some injuries, they were an awkward fit, trying to make Julius work, trying to make Donja dvids and so comfortable going away from obviously the system they had had with Kat and Ant being the two pillars for them for three straight years. There's still a lot of encouragement there. I think the part that's concerning is that, like they are still in a super crowded Western Conference, And this is what Finch said after the game. Game probably says like forty two and forty might be a good year for a team in the West next year, and then you're talking about an uphill battle again in the playoffs where you don't have one court advantage, and when you got to go in and play a place like ok See, where it's a madhouse, it's gonna be a tough one a series that way, Is.
Speaker 2: There hurt your feelings that you're not on the Hoop collective?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it probably saves my sanity from having to listen to him and Tim every day. But yeah, it's a good group. I would like to be involved a little bit more, you know. I'll go out to the live show in Vegas. They had me on stage for a couple of years ago, so we'll see if I guess to call up for that. But it's kind of see. The thing about it is none of those guys actually cover a team that everybody cares about on a daily basically the Lakers. So my time is better spent, you know, dealing with Luca and Lebron and the Lakers most of the time to carve me out an hour and a half to hear those guys talk about the same issues over and over again. But they do do a.
Speaker 1: Great job Hey, ay, Porter, I want you to clip that answer, except the final part when he said they do a great job, and it's a good time to remind folks that Tim McMahon covers the jazz.
Speaker 2: All right. You know you've mentioned Finch's postgame press conference.
Speaker 1: Did I hear him right when he said there are thirteen teams in the West that will be jockeying for home court?
Speaker 2: Did he say thirteen? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? He did say thirteen. So that's maybe a bit of an overextension, but I mean it's not absurd.
Speaker 1: Well, it also clearly excludes two teams. One probably resides here in Salt Lake. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: I think that's fair to say. Yes, But I think no one in your city, informed listeners, having paid attention to a show would be shocked by that.
Speaker 1: Isaiah Callier broke John Stockton's rookie assist record, Dave, I don't know if you read that.
Speaker 3: I actually didn't know that. I'm glad that you shared that information with me.
Speaker 1: John Stockton also averaged fourteen minutes a game as a rookie because the starting point Griver's rookie green. Anyway, moving on, does Lowry Marketing start for Oklahoma City.
Speaker 3: He does not, Dave, Yeah, I don't. I don't think. I don't think he does. Yeah, I don't think he does.
Speaker 1: What does that say about your team when your best player would not even start for the team that's in the finals.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a really good question to Brazil. I think there's a certain style that Okay, see plays that you know, Lou dort is. They would decide to go with a guy who's limited offensively because he's such a beast defensively in that position. Mark is a very good player. I mean, so I think it's a little unfair to the wedge that conversation in because I think he could start for, say, the Knicks, like he could start over Josh Hart.
Speaker 1: That's you know what, we're hanging the banner. Our best player would start over Josh Art. We're gonna we're gonna hang that here in sall, like, okay, before we'll end with Nick Spasers. But before we get there, let me ask you a question without the uh sarcasm laced in it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: There are now, as a result of the way that the CBA is structured, several avenues. How as far as how you can build a contending team. Uh, it's no longer was Lebron born in your city? Or does he want to live in South Beach? And and certainly with Luke and Lebron and other you know, Golden State grabs Jimmy Butler. There always will be those teams that can grab the star to put next to other players like but ultimately, when you look at Indiana, when you look at Oklahoma City, Uh, even the way the Knicks did it, the next did it slowly? You know it really? Jalen, of course turned out to be a great decision. How do the Jazz take advantage of this parody era in the NBA? And the CBA expires in twenty thirty and I don't know if they're going to be massive changes.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people don't love.
Speaker 1: How punitive some of the second Apron stuff seems to be for owners having the right checks, just for the right to have the roster. So if we say that the Jazz have at least five years in this new ecosystem of pro basketball, how do.
Speaker 2: They do it?
Speaker 3: Dave?
Speaker 1: Because it's hard to draw a straight line between who the Jazz are now and who Oklahoma City is now, even though Oklahoma City not too long ago, was in this rebuilding space.
Speaker 2: Presty has just knocked it out of the park. Like they drafted the right guys.
Speaker 1: They were able to receive their generational piece in exchange for Paul George, and they found guys off the scrap peak they weren't even drafted. It's hard to say, do a Presty because he's done it so brilliantly. But we are a basketball market star for a decent team. Danny and Jay z give is done.
Speaker 3: So it starts with you got to draft well. And when you're in the position where you're in the lottery for you know, three out of five years, whatever it will end up being for the Jazz. Like if you get even one of those guys wrong, like you're putting yourself beyond eight ball. Then you gotta look at the Pacers identifying Tyree Halliburton as someone who was underutilized and turning him into a guy they did it through a trade. The next same way with John Bruns that they did it through free agency, identified a guy who was underutilized and took him to another level. I think the Jazz kind of tried to do that with a guy like Colm Sexton and probably they unleashed a slightly higher level than he showed in Cleveland. But he's not one of those two guys. But you have to continue to try to find a guy that fits that archetype. And then you need a system and a coach and a clarity of vision. And you know, you and I are both I think aligned and being will Hardy fans. So they got that part done. I think the jury is still out on how they've done on the draft. You know, obviously there's probably a reason why so many people are calling about Walker Kestler, probably because that was a probably a pretty good pick, and so that's a guy you can build around. And hey, you just told me you got the guy breaking stasist record, so maybe that's another guy you can build around as well. I mean, Collier has built like a young Marcus Smart and if you can turn that body into a defensive engine, then I like kind of my inside outside pieces of the built around. And then again you got to marketing. It was another guy that they identified. I just think the market and kind of timeline won't fit with where they're at right now. So you're probably gonna have to commit to staying in this mode for a bit hit with some luck, you know, the ping bom ball, got to go your way and get the right guy. And you know, like again, I know we were talking about the idea of this being you're already on the fast track with Cooper Flag, but you know it could be you're already on the fast track if you get to beta out of Boyu. It's just a year delayed from what we thought. Maybe it would be.
Speaker 1: All right, before I set you loose, Let's do a little Eastern Conference finals. And you know, if you were like on vacation overseas and did not watch the first four games of Nick Spacers and came home last night, like I'm going to watch the basketball, you'd be like, why is this close? I mean, it was a mismatch, and it really was Dave from my vantage point. And it's ironic here because Tom is such a defensive minded guy. But this is not Oak and Mace and Ewing and Anthony Bonner. If we want to go deep, this is not like a big, physical, defense dominant basketball team. I think they were thirteenth in defensive rating this year and they were close to top five in offense. I'm not sure if they finished top five in offense, but it's pretty clear after last night because it was the first game that they were actually closing out in respect to the Pacers.
Speaker 2: Like guard Aaron E.
Speaker 1: Smith game one, don't give Tyree Salabert in a bunch of airspace in game three, like actually play defense, you know, And last night was a concerted defensive effort for the thirty two to thirty four minutes. It was competitive before kind of things got loose in the fourth. Can they replicate that in game I guess it would be Game six now in Indianapolis, because you know what, man like I am to the point with this series, I can see all three of the scenarios unfolding.
Speaker 2: I could see the Pacers winning on Saturday.
Speaker 1: I could see the Knixt winning on Saturday and losing Game seven. I could see the next winning Saturday and winning Game seven. Like, all three of those things still are on the table. But the Knicks are gonna have to guard last night in a way that they have yet. Can they replicate that performance for two more games?
Speaker 3: Primarily I completely rearview all three of those things around the table. The Knicks, you know, with the anonob's that they have Robinson. Really, for a guy who came in with an offensive reputation, has completely sacrificed that part of his game to give his energy and attention towards defense this series. But it's been really impressive to me. And then you got some of the Karl Anthony Towns who seems committed more than we normally see him committed to attacking the paint, and then I think that aggression offensively is carrying over to what he brings defensively. Now he's not you know, pick your gionnaskupo down there, but he's bringing some of that level to it. I think it will come down to you know, Tyres Albert quite frankly. I mean, Haliburton was invisible in Game five and that's not the way things are going to work for this team. And he doesn't net score thirty two and have a you know, a near perfect offensive game with fifteen assistants zero turnovers like he did earlier in the series, but he's got to be a guy who's attacking the paint, braking down the defense, kicking it out to those shooters. So even when they the Knicks are committed to closing out, they have already collapsed on Halliburton, so it's a longer close out to get out to Anee Smith or you know, get out to Mathurin, who you know is really starting to catch fire a little bit. So the Pacers should feel good about things right now. They are going home. They took their lumps, sure, but now they have the human nature side. If I want to make up for what just happened, and that's a place that gets rocking to the field House, which I don't well, I don't even what they called it. So many different things that field I don't feel confident in saying is it games Bridge?
Speaker 2: Now I believe it's games Bridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they should feel good. At the same time, the Knicks are like, we see our pathway and so like it is a toss up, it could be tossed up. I think it's beautiful that we get a Saturday night with what could be the best game of the playoffs thus far, and it's been a pretty damn good playoffs.
Speaker 1: If Kenny Smith corners you in Bristol, do you think you can handle that?
Speaker 3: I believe, I believe I can. I've seen his races to the big board with those knock knees. I'm not too worried about if he was going to start something with me. I just run away my tactic.
Speaker 1: Oh Dave, you're such a good sport man. Have a good weekend. Takes you the time, Okay, nixt all right, the Great Dave mcmannimon go Nicks for several different reasons, mainly so Dave and his lovely wife Malik Andrews do not have to work in Indianapolis, well, Oklahoma City, They're gonna have to go to no matter what. All Right, Dave stops by today courtesy of our friends at Prize Picks. Prize Picks is the best place to turn your sports knowledge into cash. With millions of members, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. You just pick more or less on at least two players for a shot that went up to two thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season long on Prize Picks. Download the Prize Picks app today. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup.
Speaker 2: Download the Prize Picks app today. Use the promo code
Speaker 1: ESPN seven hundred to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars line up prize picks run your game all season long.