Speaker 1: What's up everybody? Welcome back to the show here. This is Hobby Hotline, Episode three eighty seven. I'm back for the second time this month, so I hope everybody in the chat is not sick of hearing me talk at this point, but either way, we are here. We are here with two of I think the OG co hosts when I first got started, I remember these guys. These guys have been co hosts for forever. We got Orlando and then we've got Victor True Arcas. We'll start up at the top here, Orlando. How's your week been going, what's been up to?
Speaker 2: Been going good?
Speaker 3: Just you know, watching a lot of YouTube videos and kind of always getting involved in the hobby. After this show, I'll be going to a small card show, which would be the first time that these new promoters have a card show here in South Florida, in the Cooper City area. So it just seems like the hobby is strong. I mean, new card shows opening up even here in South Florida. We don't have too many, but this is a new promoter. We had a new one come in this year at the hard Rock Casino, which is it was pretty big, over two hundred tables, and that was their first show and this is gonna be a little smaller one at the American Legion Hall, but you know, matches just to see how this one turns out. It will be their first show. So more shows, more more hobby stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, more and more shows the better. I mean, I think it's the same in Massachusetts. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention to shows as much, but I was looking at our calendar and like every week there's like three or four shows all over the place. So definitely definitely good to see some increasing of that. You know, new promoters also getting new people in the hobby. That's also good. Also have Victor here at True RC's Victor kind of same question to you, how's your week been going, what's been up to.
Speaker 4: I've been good man, Unlike Rolando here was living that retired life. I have to go work for a living still but doing good. Guys. Good morning to you guys, Good morning to the chat, good morning to the hobby, and let's talk about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so, just a little bit of a rundown here before we get into the show. We're gonna touch on the eBay GameStop news We're also going to talk about some of the big changes this week with PSA. Then we're going to get into Bowman that came out this past week and the new Top one hundred list kind of Top one hundred prospect lists, kind of all encompassing there with prospecting, and then we're going to get into some more collecting topics hopefully. You know, if the chat has anything they want to talk about, make sure you drop a comment. Also, make sure you drop a comment. I always love doing this. Make sure you drop a comment. Let us know where you're watching the show from today. I love seeing all the new faces, all the people, all the regulars here in the chat and where they're watching the show from. Uh So, yeah, we're going to start here with the news that was the eBay d the eBay game Stop deal, and I even kind of hesitate to call it the eBay GameStop deal because it really just seemed like GameStop was trying to get their name in the news a little bit coming out with a fifty five billion dollar offer. I don't know where games Stop is getting that money in the first place. I post about this on TikTok and somebody in the comments was like, yes, small companies by big companies all the time. I'm like, I don't even know what is that any I don't even know what that means. It just didn't make any sense to me. Orlando, I'll start with you, what were your initial thoughts maybe about the eBay deal when you first heard about it, and then you know, the deal falling through this past week.
Speaker 3: I kind of thought it was almost like a joke at the beginning, you know, when you're talking about GameStop that's at best a quarter of the size of eBay buying such a big corporation like eBay. You know, I'm wondering, you know, how is this guy gonna be able to raise any money? And you know, I was watching him on some of the business shows on different you know, national news, and he did a bunch of interviews and he really never never really answered the question on how he was going to raise all that money. He kept saying it was going to be half stock, half cash, but then he said that all he was all he had in cash, was like a twenty billion dollar guarantee from a bank somewhere, And I'm thinking, well, how could a half stock in game stop plus twenty billion be able to buy or make even a fifty five billion dollar offer, so that, you know, I thought was kind of almost like like you said, kind of to get attention and kind of to get his business out there and you know, and share some of his success at game Stop, which has been successful. I mean, Game Stops was a company that literally was going out of business. And he is a good businessman, grant him that. The guy's that a great job promoting game Stop, partnering up with all these different companies including PSA, and becoming you know, a real a force in the hobby itself. But I just couldn't see him raising that fifty five billion dollars. There was just no way that it seemed like he was able to actually make a legitimate offer, you know, with that kind of money and a company that that's small. Now, to his credit, he did have some great ideas. You know, he said he would make some changes, you know.
Speaker 2: One of them.
Speaker 3: Specifically, would be to update the eBay website, which really needs it. In my opinion, you know that I think eBay hasn't updated his their their platform for I don't know, it seems like at least ten years or so. It just seems to be the same type of thing. And I do think eBay could do a lot more to upgrade their site, to add more information on there. I mean, they could do stuff like tie into PSA and put pop counts on stuff that they're selling, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, do certain things make it, give it a brand new.
Speaker 3: Updated, you know, twenty first century look, you know, because really their site is just oh. And Ryan suggested that he would be good at that and that he could better manage the company. And you know, there are certain things that eBay isn't doing as well as they should be and probably need a little bit better ideas and better upper management.
Speaker 2: So I agree with that part of it. But I just couldn't be.
Speaker 3: Serious about him having that kind of money to buy the company. I don't think that he he could afford it at all.
Speaker 1: Right, right, yeah, And I mean, I guess it's it's good that the platform where a majority of sports card buying and selling is potentially worth fifty five billion dollars. I think that is I guess it's encouraging. I mean it's not like, you know, we've seen companies within the sports card industry come and go, and eBay has always it's been one of the biggest companies, and it seems like it's always going to be one of the biggest companies, hopefully at least. Victor kind of same sort of question to you, what was your initial thoughts when he saw it? And then any you know, has your opinion changed at all now that this deal is not going to go through at all?
Speaker 4: It hasn't. And I think Orlando did an excellent job recapping the situation. I was I was, I was entertained by all of the content, really and I was wondering when is EBA going to respond to this? And I think their response this week was rather entertaining as well, where they mentioned that the offer is neither credible nor attractive and I don't think I don't think it can be better said than that. And so at the same time, you know, there is a lot of political things behind the scenes that I think, you know, Cohen, I think has his he's part owner or has owns five percent of the shares of eBay, So I think they have to listen to him because he does have a seat at the table and he does have his foot in the door. And uh, I don't think this is over. I think we'll hear a little bit more of this, uh in the near future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think actually, who was it in the chat here? I think it was Upstate Upstate Sports Cards kind of went on what Orlando was saying with some of the platforms or libay not really being updated, and he was saying eBay being old school is nice for anyone, you know, getting back into it and knowing how to navigate it. And I think, on one hand that is correct, but also it's like, you know, at this point, the internet is the Internet, Like figuring out how to use a website shouldn't take you as long. It shouldn't take you very long. I mean hopefully for most people they're used to using the Internet. I mean, if eBay is making changes, I don't know. I hope that they would be making changes for the better. Like there are you know, they've updated stuff with PSA in terms of like showing some of the pop reports and stuff along those lines, But I mean there are still a lot of improvements I would like to see as well.
Speaker 5: I mean there are like if you like.
Speaker 1: The the if someone buys something and they don't pay for it, it still says that it was a sol listing like, I don't that's something I would like to change that they and then if you do best offer, it doesn't say what the price that was accepted for the best offer, So, you know, I don't know EBA, if they're listening to this show, maybe maybe not. But if there were some changes, there are some stuff that I would you know, potentially would like to see change. And yeah, I mean that's kind of it for eBay. I mean, it's really the news is basically like that, there was an offer put in and the offer was denied. So any any final thoughts before we kind of move on to you know, I think, unfortunately or unfortunately, I think a topic that a lot of people are going to have some opinions on here with the PSA stuff. Does anybody anybody have anything else on this eBay story?
Speaker 3: I think been covered enough all over the internet and every YouTube content creators talked about it.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think it's a it's a it's a fast paced changing situation. It just they they have done some changes, positive changes in the last six months or so. I'm the one. I don't have a lot of things that I can gripe about as far as my user experience. Again, I'm not that big of a user as far as selling, and that's the type of thing, but they have made some positive changes. I think. Is there room for improvement, absolutely, But I'm one where if if it ain't broke, don't fix it. eBay has such long tenure in the hobby. I just I don't see a lot of things wrong with it as far as the way I use it. Now. There is a fast paced, changing evolution going on with live selling, and it seems like even eBay is is leaning more towards the live selling and that's a very successful way of doing it. And I think eBay changing or adopting that way of selling is going to be it's the future. I think it's here to stay, guys, And that's the way most of things are done in this space around the globe. And we're kind of like last to jump on board with the live selling concept. And it's pretty popular, it's pretty big, so we'll see, Yeah, we'll see how it evolves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, honestly, maybe I'm nitpicking a little bit here. I just like I said, I'm yeah, yeah, Well, I mean the live selling, the changes to the live selling I think is going to be whatever they can do. I mean, that industry is so massive, and you know over in like China, I think it's like already like fifty percent of all e commerce is done through live shopping, some like crazy statistic like that. So I would expect we move you know, farther that. I mean, it's the reason why you don't, uh TV channels like QVC are around. It's you know, people love to you know, buy things that they are being shown on the screen.
Speaker 5: I suppose. Yeah, so any.
Speaker 3: I definitely think that life selling is the future, you know for many companies. I mean, look at Whatnot what they've done with their life selling and their breaks. You know.
Speaker 2: The issue I think with.
Speaker 3: Whatnot is that people don't trust them because you know, they pretty much let anybody come on there, whether their scameras or not. Where I think eBay has a great opportunity to legitimize a little bit more of the of the sellers on their side because they literally choose the sellers and vet the sellers that are on there.
Speaker 2: They don't do a.
Speaker 3: Lot of promotion for these guys, and that's one of the things that I'd like to see a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more of.
Speaker 3: Maybe eBay highlighting their their life selling a little bit more. But there's some really really good sellers. You know, our friend Bow from one Million Cubs project, he's on there. He's done incredibly well with that, And I think they do have a better group of live sellers than the Whatnot, but they're still way behind Whatnot on their live selling platform, and I think that's definitely one area that eBay can improve on, and I think people would trust them a lot more than any other live selling site that's out there in the market.
Speaker 4: Right now. They're late to the party, but they're getting it. They're getting on board.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: And so before we move on to the next top we got thirty people in here. I think we're up around eight or nine likes on YouTube. So if you're watching the stream, make sure you go drop a like on the video. If you want to share the video with any of your friends one friend, that would be great as well. But if you're watching this, you're live, you're you're commenting in the chat, make sure you hit the like button. We would really appreciate that helps us here on hobby Hotline on the four Collectors YouTube channel. The next topic that we have here is going to be one that I'm sure a ton of people are gonna have their opinions on so eBay made. Sorry, I'm gonna well, they're kind of similar. But PSA made some big news. They made some interesting interesting timing on a lot of these things. I mean, I've seen one of the things that there was some sort of I think it was the Boston card hunter was doing like a no no grading with PSA in May, and it I mean I've seen it caught on a little bit online on Twitter and on TikTok a little bit. So it's interesting that PSA comes out with this announcement they say that there are investing two hundred million dollars into the company, but then they're also increasing the turnaround times and the threshold for how many cards you have to grade for the bulks emissions.
Speaker 5: I was a little bit.
Speaker 1: It just seems like it was kind of just like a Friday news dump where they just have a bunch of things they're putting all putting it all in together. I think it didn't I don't know the the you know, I'll let you guys give your opinions for us. We'll start with you Victor, you know, on any of those topics. I mean, really anything here.
Speaker 5: What were were you? What were your kind of thoughts?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was being a little sassy, a little bit sarcastic when I read this headline. Yea, I basically said, thanks PSA for giving us your April twenty twenty six profit margins. Right right, one hundred million is a drop in the bucket for PSA in my opinion. I could be wrong on that, but I was just being sassy. But I do like the the concept of growing the infrastructure. They are pushed to that limit to where they realize they have to do something, and expanding the business with bigger facilities and more people that I think is the right move. However, on the on the on the other side of things, I think it's really is the straw that has broken the camel's back. I am reading a lot of commons and post on social media about this, and ninety eight percent of the comments in the backlash is absolutely negative. There is a lot of collectors out there that this move here is just they are just done. And they're not done because they're expanding. They're done because now they have extended lead times and that affects the collectors now right now we are once again they raise prices, but they only raised prices on the high highest tier, which is I believe the seven day turnaround. Now it's it's more money to go that route, and that's the only tier that they elevated the prices. The rest of everything has been extended lead times with the range now for value bulk, which is the lane that a lot of US collectors and flippers live in, it is now one hundred und than twenty to one hundred and sixty days. You guys, correct me if I'm wrong. Somewhere in there now we're and that's working days. It's not now if you when you add holidays and weekends, now you're you're looking at six, seven, possibly eight months before you see your your your submission. And that's where there is an uproar. And I think they're they're going to have a lot of work to do as far as gaining the consumer trust back. And from what I'm hearing, and I'm no expert in this field, but from what I'm hearing, this expansion that they're doing is typically about eighteen months long before everything, and that's with no hiccups. So let's just you know, eighteen months to two years before this, this game plan actually starts bearing fruit for the hobby, and so I don't know if collectors are going to be patient enough to stick this out. Well, I guess we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have to agree with everything he just said. Victoria.
Speaker 3: You know, it's really off about PSA, not about the consumer at this point with them.
Speaker 2: You know, they're just.
Speaker 3: Trying to get caught up. And you know, supposedly they're going to hire a thousand more people within the next year, is what I hear.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 3: They have I think they said three hundred and fifty openings. Now most of those openings, you know, are going to be you know, greaters and kind of front end people helping to move that bulk and move that stuff through the system. But you know, the number one problem in my opinion is customer service, and I just don't see them talking about how they're going to improve their customer service. You know, all they're talking about is opening new offices, which they have. You know, they're opening up you know in Dallas and I guess New Jersey and I'm in Japan, and expanding the office here in Boca that they took over from SGC. But you know, I just still see them focus more on you know, this is what we're doing, and they're doing it for themselves, you know. I mean they're getting what almost two million cards every month. Now, I don't think that the Boston card hunter, you know, no no grading in May, is going to do anything. I don't even think that that they're even going to recognize it. I don't think they're going to feel anything about that. It's just you know, you know, technically he's just a small YouTuber, not really that small in our industry. But for them, you know, it's a drop in the bucket, and you know, they're really into it for themselves. I mean upping the you know, like you said earlier, the regular collector that's going to use the value bulk you know that's gone up to fifty cards. I mean that's pretty heavy right now, someone like me or you to submit fifty cards. I mean it's almost like we have to become a sub you know what they call it, a submitter. We'll get all our friends together, Yeah, a round of fifty cards.
Speaker 2: There a bulk submitters. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know, I could never find fifty cards to sell them. I mean, I'd love to send them some cards and I got probably a round up twenty five, but fifty has gotten ridiculous at this point, and you know, and they did raise the prices, you know, so they're they're playing their game where you know, now you're going to get the cards back in whatever six to eight months. So if you want them quicker, you got to pay up more than you had to pay up before. So it's like a never ending story of them, you know, causing problems for themselves, falling behind in their issues and then making the customer pay for they're falling behind for their their issues and things like that. You know, and.
Speaker 2: You still have all these mistakes.
Speaker 3: I mean everywhere that you see, you hear all these things they're admitting now to all the fake cards that are coming through, and and you know, of course they tell you what they're catching, but now what they're not catching and things you see on the internet, like people get their cards back and then they get a whole bunch of other flips from other customers and stuff that they got with their with their mailing. And so they've got a lot of problems that I think they need to fix first of all, and I'm hoping that as part of those thousand people that they hire, that they get a good amount of those to become more of a customer service similar to SGC, because I think sgc's biggest asset was their customer service and PSA's downfall is their customer service.
Speaker 2: So it looks like we lost at them there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he said he's having computer problems and he had to reboot and he'll be right back. But you know what blows my mind, Orlando, with this whole thing, And this is the part that I can't wrap my head around. And this part is not I repeat not PSA's fault. With all the increases in prices that they've had over the last twelve to fifteen months, with all the extended bulk submissions and everything going up as far as taking longer to get back, there is still no slowdown in people sending in cards. The numbers keep going up and up and up, and the demand is through the roof, even even with the price increases, even with the extended lead times. And that's the part I don't understand. That part is on us.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Oh, yeah, it's definitely on us.
Speaker 3: But you know the problem as us as the endgame that consumer is that our options have become much more limited than before. I mean, when we had SGC, we can use them, but SGC now has fallen into the same trap of their customer services not where it should be. Their turnaround times are not where they should be. I mean, now you know, you got to wait, you know, sixty days I hear for SGC and they're only grading you know, I don't know the last count, but you're talking fifty sixty thousand cards a month, and they've just fallen behind because PSA has taken control of all of their main graders and stuck SGC in the closet, you know, and now it's GC. I mean, now PSA that they got Beckett, they've been a little more focused on Beckett and t to upgrade Beckett, which I so far it's good to see that they put some money into Beckett and upgraded, you know, their labels and really kind of updated them a little bit more. Which Beckett was more stale than any other grading company out there, so their submissions have grown. Sgcs pretty much remain the same. But I think that the main thing for PSA now, their big focus is on the TCG side, and you know, you know, I think, what is it, sixty seventy percent of their submissions now as TCG and those guys are happy. You know, I don't hear I watched some of these Pokemon channels. I don't hear people complaining about PSA there, you know, I mean, you know, you always get a little bit here and there, but not as much as the sports side. So if their main you know, seventy percent of their business is happy with their service and you know they're not complaining, I just can't see PSA making many many changes and focusing a little more on the PC side because TCG has become really the monster in yes collection hobby right now.
Speaker 4: And that's really the culprit behind all the delays and all that. It's just the amount of TCG and from they're they're opening up new facilities in internationally to kind of help because that's where a lot of that stuff's coming. So unfortunately, it's the reality is that the collectors of the guys who are you know, like me, a set registry guy, I typically between ten to twenty cards are typically my were my submissions I'm squeezed out now just to come up with fifty cards. It's really hard for me. Coming up with twenty cards was kind of hard for me, let alone fifty, And they kind of forced a hand to where, you know, who's going to be able to send fifty cards consistently. Well, the flipper is you know that the guys who opened product, the guys who you know are are flippers and that sort of thing, and so the collector, the set registry guys, you guys are just going to have to just wait. And unfortunately that's where it's at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even and even at that, you know, when you talk about guys that are going to be you know a lot of the grading is going to be the new cars, and I know we're going to talk about the the Bowman now you know, uh Broo Bowman chrome coming up and at them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I should be trying. I should be. I'm still trying to figure out the issue a little bit. But uh so if you see me kind of my eyes darting around, I'm still I'm googling why my CPU usage just at one hundred and twenty percent, So I'm trying to figure that out. But I was I was listening to you guys. I'll come in when whenever you whenever you guys. I know Orlando is about to make a point there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just going to finish up that, you know, with the turnaround times and all that on on p s A. You know, now you've got the uh you know, the Bowman draft over chrome whatever, I forgot what we call it there, which is the number one uh, you know for prospecting. And those guys that are opening up packs and boxes right now today as we speak, they make their money on getting those cards graded as soon as possible, taking them to market as soon as possible. And they can't wait six to eight months because those prospects could be you know.
Speaker 2: Big right now.
Speaker 3: But in three months, those guys are could be back in the dollar boxes. So how they're going to handle that, you know, I'm not sure, but I guess we'll move on to that subject now. Talk a little bit about the Boma Chrome draft.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll just make one point.
Speaker 1: I think I think what PSA is sort of trying to doing is potentially eliminate those types of customers maybe from their market, like the people who rip product and get cards graded. The fact that you now have to wait seven or eight months is like, that's it. It's an unrealistic timeline to expect that you can make any money. But at the same time, like maybe that's for the better, Like maybe it's better that you have to wait the seven months to get a card graded, and you know, it's maybe helping the consumer who wants to buy that card. There just won't be as many available, so you know, the hype of the the hype of the product release will die down a little bit, and hopefully it won't. You know, we won't see a two thousand dollars PSA ten Cooper flag Tops Flagship Brookie when now that's like one hundred and twenty five dollars card. Maybe that's sort of what they're I don't even think really that might not even be on their minds, but like for me, that's when I saw the big change.
Speaker 5: I think at least there and like you said.
Speaker 1: To the bulk submitters, like it almost seems like they're trying to get them to start up again, because you know, fifty cards is twelve hundred dollars and that's not including any upcharges, So like twelve hundred dollars for something to take seven months, that feels like an unrealistic.
Speaker 3: Ask.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's maybe my own standpoint. Like I've done grading before, and I've graded the twenty cards for the value bulk and you know, it took like six months, but it just seems like, I don't know, it just seems like they're trying to either get bulks emitters back into the fold here, or they're trying to take away maybe some of the some of the hype around some of these newer cards and the newer products, because yeah, sure you can do, like you said, the seven day turnaround, but even that, they're increasing the amount. So I think, sorry, and maybe these are just all my thoughts here, but one one more thing before I move on to the boonman. It's just that I think PSA understands the value that they are providing when they crede a card, because for example, that Cooper Flag card is about a five dollars base card. It's one hundred and twenty five dollars if you get a PSA ten. They're looking at that and saying, well, why are we just providing you essentially a way that you can make money and we're not making any money from that, So like they're trying to increase the pricing, and I guess the last point is just that maybe this is what the pricing and what the turnaround time should have just been all along. Potentially the maybe it wasn't maybe grading was grading with PSA, maybe potentially was an undervalued asset in the industry, and they're looking at it and saying, we we want some of that cash, we want some of that money. I think there's there's kind of a combination. I think there of the things that PSA, the reason why PSA is moving sort of in the direction that they are. But yeah, like Orlando is saying, we're gonna move on to Bowman Baseball, which I love Bowman. I mean it's one of the one of the more fun products. It's obviously a bit of a gamble I would say, like I was thinking about making a video about the top gamble gambling products potentially, uh in the industry, because like, if you can pull a crazy card out of here.
Speaker 5: You're probably doing it. You're probably doing pretty good. Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Bowman Baseball that's been released, that's a big product here in the sports card industry. I mean, Orlando, what were your kind of thoughts on this? And we can get into prospecting in general as well, just because this is you know, obviously this is a prospect product. So yeah, let us know, like what your thoughts were on the Bowman release in any prospecting in general, if you have any thoughts on that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, definitely, it's it's one of the most popular products out there right now, especially you know, for it's a prospecting product. That's really all it is. You know, it does have some veteran players in therefore, but really everybody's going after the prospects and the first Bowman prospect and the first Bowman autograph prospect and those type of things. But you know, my issue with this, of course, is is the crisis. Like always, you know, the Hobby boxes are you know, over three hundred dollars and the I think the Hobby Jumbo are now over seven hundred dollars, so they're expensive and and you really don't know the name's in there. I mean, personally, I'm not one that tracks all these prospects. So you know, I may recognize two or three of these guys because they were maybe some of the top draft picks, but overall, you know, I won't know most of the guys in there, and I don't think anybody will really get to know these guys until two, three, four years from now. Now, I know that the retail boxes are out there, and those are a little bit cheaper. And I was watching last night somebody opening up some of these boxes, and you know, the cars look really nice. You know, they have of course the parallels and the inserts and all that, and the first you know, one of the first rookie or first draft pick type thing. So the cars look nice like they usually do. And and you know these are again these are kind of the base.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then you do have some chrome in this in the base as some of the hits. But you know, my issue with this is the prices are still too high for guys that we don't even know who they are. We don't even know if they're going to pan out. And you know, there may be you know, two or three guys in this entire set that are gonna be worth any money a year down.
Speaker 1: The road, right right, Yeah, And I think, like you said, it's it's it's kind of the type of product where if you're opening it or you're doing any breaks, you kind of have to sell almost right away because I think and maybe it's like that with a lot of products, but like this one specifically, because if you have you know, Ethan Holliday, I think is the big name that he's on the cover there. He was I think the number four pick last year in the Draftees. Jackson Holiday's brother and yes, yes, yeah, right right right, yes, playing for you know, his his dad's old team. I believe if I have him correct there, but you are, if you're pulling anything, your best shot is to sell it now and then hopefully buy it back later. Those are kind of the things with Bowman specifically, And you know, Victor kind of similar question like what are your thoughts on Bowman in general and any thoughts on like this this release that just came out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I got to be careful here because I've I've made some comments about Bowman in the past. I am not a real big fan of this product. First of all, the prospecting game was very popular in the nineties. I was a big as a dealer at that time. I was big. My world was prospecting, and I can tell you from experience it was always a losing proposition for me and I never really was able to. These guys are up and down so much, so quickly, and it's just a lose lose proposition in my experience. Now, it's it's funny that we have Roman Anthony on the cover here, and that's case in point here. The guy was the world beater last year, beloved within the hobby, and this year. I don't know how true it is. I haven't looked it up, but from what I'm hearing is is that he struggled really bad and they're actually he's struggling to the point where they're thinking about sending him back down. And so, you know, I don't he's young. But my point is is that if you're an Roman Anthony believer and you play the prospecting game, right now is the time to pick up Roman Anthony, and not at the heat at the peak of the hype last year. And and this is the problem with this kind of stuff, man, I just and I and I don't like the the the watering down of the rookie card that we do with a lot of these prospects. It just a lot of people want to want to believe that, you know, these are the true rookie cards, and the first bowman and all of that, and that that kind of argument. I'm just tired of explaining or arguing that that point with this product. And I just know from experience. Man, at least for me, I am. I did not do well with the prospecting game. And I lived and breathed this stuff in the nineties and always found myself on the short end of the stick. And then if I do pull a good card, then I have to sell it to make money. And it's like, if I pull a good card, I want to keep it. I don't want to sell it to recoup my money. And it's just I don't know, it's counterproductive for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was watching the guy open open some boxes yesterday and you know, there's one insert series I think that is the top one hundred, and you know, he's pulling these pully and he goes, oh, I got one. I got one that is Oh, it's to have a number right in the front, number ninety eight. He's like, oh, but he didn't know any of these guys just looking at you know, I'm trying to get the number the top five right, and number five even though he didn't know the name of any of the guys who they were or anything like that. He's, oh I got the number eight pick out of one hundred or the top one hundred. It's got to be junk. But you just never know. Really, that's the thing with prospecting, you know. I mean, it could be the guy could be it turned out to be a my piazza, you know, right right, these guys that was chosen at the bottom and ends up being one of the tough guys. But you know the guy was up, he threw it in the common pile. You know, we're like, oh no, this guy's.
Speaker 1: Worthless, right, And I mean with prospecting and Victor, maybe you experienced this a little bit with when you were saying you were so into it. Like the best scouts in the world are paid millions and millions of dollars to scout players, and they even don't they're they're not even hit they don't even hit out one hundred percent. So the fact that we think as fans or sports card people that we know better than the people who like literally they don't even sell or buyer sports cards. They literally just watch prospects. They just watch players play, and sometimes they're not correct. So it's like the thought that just because we are into sports cards, we know who the next prospect is going to be. I mean, for me, at least when it comes to prospecting, I found that I you know, I don't do it really at all anymore necessarily a buying cards, But when I was doing a little bit, I found that I had a better time buying cards of players that people didn't really know and kind of hoping that they would turn into somebody, versus you know, buying Connor Griffin or a JJ Weatherhold or any of the players who were in the top five already or you know, Jesus made who's the new number one prospect because they people already know them and their price is already baked in. Like that's sort of I guess. The other part of prospecting is like the pricing of their cards is it's already baked in that they are going to win MVPs and be these superstars. And it's like you watch the pricing of those cards as soon as they make it to the majors, and if they don't perform, well, you know. I think Roman Anthony is maybe a good example. I think he's been hurt too. He got hurt at the end of the season, like right at the end of the season, couldn't play in the playoffs, got hurt early on in this season, it wasn't really playing well. So you know, that also is another aspect of prospecting, and I think you know that we experience here in the industry and just prospecting in general, So I you know, I guess I think that's an interesting perspective, Victor, Like you were into prospecting and you know, the dealing and buying and selling cards, Like was there a shift or was it like one thing or was it multiple things that you kind of shifted your focus away from prospecting. I think that would be interesting for you know, the audience to hear if maybe they're in a similar boat, like if they're kind of on the fence, Like what happened? What was it for you that shifted your mindset when it came to, uh, doing prospecting and then maybe not doing it as much anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, great question. And here's what I what I've kind of learned the hard way, and here's what kind of discouraged me to get away from it, and that is we signed these kids. They're literally kids when they get picked up or drafted. You know, they're there's somewhere between the ages of fifteen and nineteen, you know, and we put so much high expectations on these kids, and but they don't have the mental capacity to handle the weight that we put on them. And so now they're now well, you know, they've been growing up in Little league and they've been successful their entire lives, but now they're meeting they're at a new level where the competition is just as good as they are. So they're no longer dominant. Now you've got to face big league pitching. Now you're slumping. This is the first slump you've ever had in your life. You've been hitting home runs as a little leaguer, and now you're facing talent equally as good as you, and now you it's the mental side of the game where these kids are not mature enough to handle all that we're putting on them, and so they're set up to fail, right, and I see that cycle. It's like repetitive over and over again. And or they try so hard to go to the next level that they end up injuring themselves, or they can't get past the psychological side of the game. And they get stuck in this rut and they just spiral downward. And that's how come I like to stick to guys who have been consistent in the major leagues for about between four to six years, Guys that are giving tailtale signs that they're headed to a Hall of Fame career. Yeah, they're only hitting thirty home runs, they're not hitting fifty sixty, seventy, but they are doing consistency. And that's the kind of guys I like to put my money into, right right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's so tough for these guys. I mean when they're playing in the minor leagues, you know, I mean, they're going against you know, talent that's really beneath them, and they don't have the kind of coaching or scouting that really looks at these guys' weaknesses. Like when you go up to the majors, I mean and they see that the guy all all of a sudden is you know, early tearing up the majors. All the scouts, you got, all the managers, got everybody focusing on, Okay, where is this guy's weakness versus when they're not the miners, they don't that, but now they figure Okay, this guy can't hit the low outside slider or whatever pitch or whatever it is. And then all of a sudden, you consistently start getting that pitch and that's you know, you can't hit it. You just can't hit it. And they got to learn how to hit it. The best environment, the toughest environment that there is, you know, versus you know, in the minors. So when you face that kind of adversity, adversity, it really gets in your head and now you know, like Victor says, it's all mental.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, man, I'm not as good as.
Speaker 3: I thought I was, or I've never faced this kind of adversity, And now all the eyes are on this guy because it's supposed to be so good, but they've found his weakness. They're attacking the weakness, and he can't overcome it or it's gonna take them time to overcome it. So it's it's it's a mental issue as far. And also the focus on how do we get this guy out, which is a lot more aggressive in the majors than it is it's like in the minors.
Speaker 1: Right right, And I mean something that is a little bit underrated. I would say with prospecting is like, you know, some of these MLB players, like the prospects like Connor Griffin for example, sign like an eight year, one hundred and forty million dollar contract.
Speaker 5: He's twenty years old.
Speaker 1: Like imagine, imagine knowing at twenty years old that over the next eight years you're going to make one hundred and forty million dollars. Like for me, I you know, I'm not in a professional athlete.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I'm a I'm a pretty uh bowl a lot, but obviously not to the level where I'm any type of professional. But like, also, if you were to tell me at a third at thirty, at thirty three that you know, over the next eight years you're gonna make one hundred and forty I would be acting different, Like I would just be I would not act the same way because I have that contract. And I think especially too, Like it's we just don't know what these players are going through on a day to day basis. You know, we don't know how how are their family members asking for money? Are they are their friends being like, hey man, you just signed this crazy contract, Like how what kind of stress do they go through that isn't on the field stress?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that's happening with you know, Roman Anthony or Connor Griffin. I'm just saying in general, we don't know what you know. And again it's a lot of these prospects, you know, their players signed from you know, Dominican Republic, their players signed from you know, areas of the world that are not like as doing as well as the as here. So again that's just another There are so many aspects here, I think that we don't really think about as sports card prospects. We look at them on the field, we say, hey, he just hit a home run. I want to buy some of his cards. That's sort of how we look at it. And I think, actually, just before we get into we're gonna kind of wrap the show up here with a little bit more collecting talk. Actually, something that I should have put on the list was this card that sold through alt and it's perfect for prospecting. Actually talking about it now, the one of one Zion Williamson National Treasures sold through all actually this past week for two hundred thousand dollars, which I that's a shock to me.
Speaker 5: I can't believe it's sold for that much.
Speaker 1: I know back in the day David Adams put like a five hundred thousand doll bounty, and I know a lot of people were like, oh, uh, that's not gonna do it, Like, that's not You're not gonna be able to pay that price. Like that probably would have been a two or three million dollar card back in the day. Now it's two hundred k, which I even think two under k is still a little bit too much for that card unless Zion somehow, you know, turns his career around, which I don't know if that's going to happen, but oh oh. An able also he asked what my averages. It's about a one eighty five. I miss a lot of spares. Unfortunately that kind of brings my average down a little bit, just from a bowling bowling perspective. Uh, but yeah, this is like, you know, a perfect example of a prospect who everyone was like, this is a can't miss guy, and then you know, years later, his card that should have been a couple million dollars sells for two hundred k, which, again, maybe that's a little bit too much, but I just thought that was another interesting card that uh, go ahead, go ahead, Victor.
Speaker 4: This recently sold for this month just.
Speaker 1: This was like literally, I think like Thursday or Friday, like Lily, Yeah, I think it was Wednesa, Wednesday or Thursday.
Speaker 5: This card sold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some people have a lot of money.
Speaker 5: Man, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, in theory it is a gamble and if you are a gambling person and you maybe you spend you know, there are people who have a lot of that money and maybe they spend one hundred thousand dollars if they're gambling on a sports on a game, you know, why not buy a card? Why not buy this card you're gambling one way or the other.
Speaker 5: I think here it's because it's art.
Speaker 4: At them, it's two hundred thousand dollars with the art.
Speaker 1: Right right, So maybe it's a tax right off potentially for somebody who who maybe sells in the future for fifty k and they say, oh I lost one hundred and fifty fifty thousand dollars on this, you know, or Land, did you have any thoughts on still? I mean, like I said, it just happened the other day, so it's kind of kind of new. But it's it's interesting that it, you know, after all of these years it ends up selling.
Speaker 3: I'll buy myself a little condo versus that card. You know, it's just crazy, and you still have a lot of you know, they were prospects like that that are selling for you know, one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just crazy.
Speaker 3: What prices are still people willing to pay that kind of money where you can buy a you know, for me, of course, I'm a vintage guy. You know, you could buy one of the top Jackie Robinson cards for a lot less than that, you know, in a high grade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's just.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, I don't know, maybe it's Zion's family or maybe a Zion himself buying the card, but yeah, maybe it's really tough to think that someone would throw two hundred thousand dollars into Zion Williams at this stage in his career.
Speaker 4: His agent or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody who again, somebody who has you know, a million there's like whatever, we'll just toss a quarterer of that on.
Speaker 4: And an agenda to keep his name up there, you know.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, right, something like that. I mean, what kind of Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean I was waiting for you know, cause I had been I had been watching that auction for a while, and it was sitting at like one forty for like a week and then like in the last day that's when the two hundred thousand dollars bid came in. So it was a you know, the sports card industry is a funny play sometimes sometimes you sometimes you get a card that, like I said, it could have sold for two or three million dollars back in the day, sells now it's two hundred k, which I again, two hundred k probably still a little bit too high. But yeah, So we're gonna kind of get into hopefully a bit more of a fun fun topics here. We're gonna talk about like pickups and just stuff that you've been looking at these past couple of weeks and just you know, a little bit more collecting talk here. So, Orlando, any anything, anything you've been picking up recently, what you been looking into. Kind of just let it, let the chat know, like what what it is, what it is you've been looking to pick up, if you have been picking up anything.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I went to strong Zille, so I had, you know, my big pickup there was a nineteen thirty three DeLong Lu Garrick And that's the kind of stuff that I look for on more into the pre war stuff. And you know, that's just a Lou Garrity card I've been looking at for a long time, and you know it's one of the rare cards.
Speaker 2: There's only about two hundred and fifty in the pop report.
Speaker 3: You know, did the Goudi garricks that there's a few thousand of those out there, So I look for some of that. My latest pickup, I don't have it here to show, but it's an old Cuban card, a nineteen oh nine Cabanas card that we're a bait in Cuba, and it's like a T two O six, the first the first Cuban card set that were produced, and you know those are most of them. They're top ten at the most. And since I was born in Cuba, I collect those kind of cards. So that's kind of stuff that I that I collect. I also, you know, I'm into a lot of the Cuban players like Mini Minoso. So I didn't pick up a couple of Minoso cards that I have here. I'll share this. I'll share this with you. So I've got the the Minoso sixty two and then I've got the Minoso sixty to autographed.
Speaker 5: Oh cool.
Speaker 3: And then I've got just because you know, and then I've got the sixty two Minoso Venezuelan.
Speaker 5: Let's go nice.
Speaker 2: Nice, And to.
Speaker 3: Make it to finish off the rainbow, I've got the nineteen sixty two Minoso Venezuelan autograph.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 5: Nice, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: So a prop one picked up as.
Speaker 2: Strong asgo, So I love it. This is this is my kind of rainbow rainbow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, those were That's the kind of stuff that I pick up. And you know, I think that Minoso is an underrated player. I mean, people don't realize that he was the first Latin black player to play in the majors. So to the Latinos, he was kind of the Jackie Robinson, you know, of the of the Latinos. You know, he was the first black Latin player. And after that, of course came Roberto Clemente and many others. But so he's a guy I collect because you know, I'm a Cuban heritage and he's, you know, one of the first Cuban superstars in baseball.
Speaker 2: So that's my.
Speaker 3: Vintage rainbow and nice kind of finish that off at Strongsville.
Speaker 1: Nice, nice, anything, I know, you said, you were heading to a show probably later today. Anything that you've got your eyes on that you're gonna be picking up, or you're kind of just roaming the tables and see if you can find, uh, see if you can find any of anything that's maybe close to what you got there.
Speaker 3: No, I don't expect to find much there, and really I'm saving my money for the National. You know, I'll be at the National Area. I'll be there Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. And been selling some cards at CIA Auction. I'll give them a plug there. They do pretty well, and I've been moving some cards there because you know, as a retired guy like Victor says, somewhere that's got a lot of free time in their hands. The way that I raised money to spend money for the hobby is by selling some of my collections. So I've been selling my collection, selling some of the stuff that I really don't love, you know, cards that I've collected over the years that I like them, but I'm really not in love with at this point in my life. So kind of doing a little more consolidation and raising some money for the National and that's where I want to try to get as much fun as I can and pick up something nice there.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Nice, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I mean, that's that's kind of the way to do it. I think if you're collecting and you're buying cards, like, if you don't like a card, it's fine to sell it. I think sometimes I'm a little bit of a hoarder, I would say, like in terms of I buy stuff and then if I don't like it, I just kind of put it in a shelf or somewhere where I can't see it. But yeah, So Victor, kind of same questions to you. Anything you've been picking up, what you've been looking at, how has that been going for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been sitting on the money. I usually quit spending around March when it's national time, but I do. I am a collector still, and I've kind of pivoted changed some things this year. One of them has been Sammy Sosa playing days. Insert cards or based cards if there's if they're cool looking, and so I've been kind of focusing my attention on that. Here the last few weeks, I'll show you a couple of pickups. Here is the ninety four Pacific Yes Sosa gold like Goldish Prism, like I think that's where all that started. And then you have the in the cage insert by Pacific, and Pacific was just in my they were decades ahead of their time. I think they were just that good. Here is another in the cage. This one is the year two thousand and the cage. The part of it is like a like a net in the background. I know it doesn't do it any justice, but they're really cool looking inserts. And then I got last one. I'll show you. Here is a skybox thunder and it's an insert called dial one. In the case of an emergency, you dial one and there's a little cell phone in the background.
Speaker 5: Oh oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Sosa and just some amazing inserts that you can pick up for anywhere between twenty to thirty dollars. And I've been putting my spreadsheet together on the Samisosa cards that I actually do want to pick up, and looking at my spreadsheet, I thought I had a quite a nice collection of SOSA. I need a lot more sosas. So yeah, yeah, really excited to dig into that. Well, well, everything else is going through the roof. I'm kind of chilling in the background with the smaller stuff nice.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been my girlfriend and I we've just been whenever we're watching TikTok, sometimes we'll jump into people's streams and people do the like dollar auctions of like these random cards, and so TikTok is very dangerous, honestly, Like if you if the way that you buy stuff is you just set your thing up and then you just click buy and it buys it. I was, it's very dangerous for someone who doesn't who just wants to buy random cards, like it's it's definitely you know, if you're a collector who wants to start a collection, it's probably a decent way.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's probably one of the cheaper ways.
Speaker 1: Like if you buy three or four cards from the same person, you're probably getting you know, you know, you're paying shipping probably like four bucks ish, depending on how many cards you're buying. But yeah, I mean I've just been buying like random, random stuff, so I've been getting which is kind of rare for me. I mean because usually I'm buying stuff on eBay, so I'll get one or two packages in the mail every couple of weeks, depending on how much I'm buying. This past like two or three weeks, I've been getting like two or three packages a week, which it's always fun to, you know, open those up and be like, oh, I remember I remember buying this, like this fun to fun for that kind of stuff. And I've also been trying to sell sell some stuff on TikTok Live, which I set up like a shop, and I've been trying to do some live auctions and the first one I did went fine. I really only sold two cards, but still trying to work out the work out some of the details and figure all that stuff out.
Speaker 5: And it's been kind of fun fun doing that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: And you can combine shipping on TikTok.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: I think that they if you buy like four cards, I think that it combines all the shipping.
Speaker 5: I don't think you pay at least I hope not.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't honestly with the one dollar cards, I'm kind of bad at like checking to see how much I actually got charged on them, to be honest. So like, I don't think if I bought four cards, I don't think I spent like seven sixteen dollars. I think it ends up being like eight or nine dollars. Most of the time just based on the amount of packages and I know how much I have in my PayPal.
Speaker 5: I think that is probably the case.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so definitely definitely some fun stuff. And I mean, you know, so Victor, for you are you have you started getting ready for the National? I mean, I think I last week or two weeks ago I talked about the National. But it's only seventy five days away. It's each week it's kind of getting closer and closer. So like, have you done any preparation, Like what's what's on your mind going into the National?
Speaker 4: You think, Yeah, I reserved my hotel last year, so all that's weird. I'm only really like an hour away from the place anyways, right right. But yeah, as far as the you know, curving and the spending and that kind of thing and getting some money, I have been being that the market is the way it is. I'm like Orlando, I've been letting go of some stuff that really doesn't mean much to me in my PC and just kind of focusing in, narrowing in on the stuff that actually does mean something to me, and kind of getting rid of the rest and just kind of building up the kitty to you know, to have more options at the National.
Speaker 5: Nice. Nice, Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Orlando, how about you, have you been doing any prep for the National? Like, what's what's kind of on your agenda? As we you know, seventy five days away, it's getting close.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty much set to go.
Speaker 3: I've got my hotel, I have booked my flight, trying to get a media pass or email all that, and then just really got to buy my tickets. But other than that, I'm good to go. And all I need now is some money to spend.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm working on right now.
Speaker 3: So I may even take some cards to this, to this little card show and see if I can pick a little bit of cash there too.
Speaker 5: Nice Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just wear like a shirt that says like funding for the National or something like that. Yeah, that way people know that's where that's where the money's going. Yeah, we're kind of coming up on the top of the hour here. I appreciate everybody sticking sticking through here. Where I had a little bit of tech issues. I don't know what I was looking at my CPU usage and it's just skyrocketed for some reason.
Speaker 5: I couldn't figure that out.
Speaker 1: But yeah, any if if you are still watching you know again, thirty thirty one people in here still watching live, make sure you leave a like on the video. Thank you everybody in the chat leaving comments. We definitely got some good stuff in there. Uh, definitely a fun week. We'll be back here on four Collectors next week. But I want to make sure you know I always do this, go back around the table. Let everybody promote themselves. Let everybody know what they got going on. I'll start with with you, Orlando. Like what you got going up going up this week? Anything you want to promote for the show?
Speaker 2: No, not much.
Speaker 3: I mean I'll be shooting some video at this show I'm going to and I've been putting up some videos at least a couple of videos a week. So I just check on my channel and leave me some comments and give me a like.
Speaker 1: And the channels A Collectors collect perfect yep, So go check go check out, go check out Orlando's channel. Like you said, been putting videos up, you know, same question, do you victor anything you want to promote?
Speaker 5: What you got?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Got what you got on the agenda coming up the next couple of weeks? Like anything you want to promote for the show here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well not really, I got I usually when I'm done here on Saturdays is usually when I record my weekly Rookie Card Report episode for Sunday morning. So I'll be recording and editing this afternoon and schedule it for tomorrow and that just keeping on.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I got nothing really special planned hobby wise except for that.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go check then True RC's that's where they That's where everyone can find you all over the place, right.
Speaker 4: Victor the Rookie Card Specialist on YouTube or you can go to True Underscore r CS in any social media platform except.
Speaker 1: TikTok except tech talk. Yeah, I love that, yep. So I mean same kind of for me. I've got videos going up on TikTok, Instagram, YouTube, and then I'm doing stuff with sports cards nonsense. So kind of been trying to post a little bit more on every platform. It's just taking the video and posting it as much as I can. So you know, if you want to go check me out on any of those platforms. I've been trying to do a little bit of snapchat to and it's not really working very well. I don't know they have like a TikTok feature, but all the videos seem to not do very well, so I'm just trying to figure that out a little bit. But yeah, we'll be back here on the four Collectors YouTube channel for I guess it would be three forty eight. I'm not sure who the hosts are, but you know, check out our social media's at hobby hotline at four Collectors. That's where you'll be able to find who's gonna be hosted next week. Thank you everybody for watching. Thanks for everybody in the comments. Make sure to like and subscribe if you're not subscribe if you're a new viewer. Thank you everybody for watching, and we'll see in the next one.
Speaker 5: Oops.