Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And this is KFI AM six forty handle. Here it is a footy Friday, October.
Speaker 1: Fourth, going back to nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Anybody who was around is going to remember this, unless you were born in nineteen eighty eight, then you're probably not going.
Speaker 1: To remember this.
Speaker 2: This was the Menendez brothers the trial thirty years back. Eric and Lyle Menendez killed their parents. Boy, it was a case that literally was covered all over the country. It's just one of those big ones. So they were accused of killing their parents.
Speaker 1: They did. They killed their parents.
Speaker 2: That doesn't seem to be that big of an issue except for them, of course. They got life imprisonment without possibility to parole.
Speaker 1: They got l lot for that one.
Speaker 2: They argued that the elder Menendez Jose, their dad, abused them, sexually, abused them, and threatened them and threatened to kill them if they said anything about the abuse. And the first trial, by the way, that was sort of brought up and the jury was hung, so that means a second trial. Most of that evidence was not brought up in the second trial. The abuse argument was not really brought up and they were then convicted and were sentenced to life imprisonment. Well, there is a Peacock documentary that is out there and it's called Menendez plus Menudo Boys Betrayed. And what it does is in terms of pushing the scenario that why Neil, it's Menendez plus Menudo?
Speaker 1: No, what does Minudo have to do with it?
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go, because the pop band Minudo ah was created by a guy who is now being accused of bringing one of the young Minudo boys to Jose Menendez's home.
Speaker 1: The kid was raped on.
Speaker 2: Now you get it. Yeah, there you go, Menanda.
Speaker 1: It's not the name of a dish.
Speaker 2: You know. There's normal Manudo and then there's Menendez Manunda Menudo.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: See, that's why he does Foody Friday. This is why we love Neil so much. In any case, there's that Peacock docu series and it raises all kinds of allegations that Jose Menendez dad assaulted a former member of the nineteen eighties pop band Menudo, and that the head of the Menudos, the guy who created him, brings this kid to Jose Menendez who then rapes and drugs this kid when he was thirteen or fourteen years old, and this guy Roy Rosello said that's exactly what happened, and suggested the whole thing was to seal a deal between the band and RCA Records, which Jose Menendez was a big hauncho.
Speaker 1: He was an executive. So it makes sense.
Speaker 2: Now they're saying Gascon is saying, we really have to take a look at this, and he's thinking about either asking for a new trial or I mean they're talking about, you know, letting him go. Of course that's crazy, but because you know, gascoll And said, yeah, they did it. But here's the defense is there are unique self defense and real self defense is if your life is in danger at that moment.
Speaker 1: So that's not gonna fly. But this is a.
Speaker 2: Mitigation, you know, if the jury is saying, wait a minute, there really was a lot of abuse here. It's not quite the same as blowing your parents' heads off for just money.
Speaker 1: And that's that was the original argument.
Speaker 2: The Kyle that the two Menendez boys, Eric and Lyle, all they were interested was money. And by the way, after the parents were killed, they bought themselves Rolex watches and they were happy campers there wasn't a lot of remorse or they weren't too unhappy that mom and dad were killed. By the way, mom and dad were in the house watching a movie when the boys came up with a shotgun, blew Jose's head off, and then shot the mother who was crawling along the floor, and killed her.
Speaker 1: With another shotgun blast. Nice case.
Speaker 2: In any case, here's what's happening, is this information came up and there is a letter that's supposedly written by I think it was Eric, eight months before the murder, in which he talked about the abuse of his father and that he was being threatened by his.
Speaker 1: Dad, which I'm surprised they didn't come up in the trial.
Speaker 2: But at this point it was just found. So the defense, just the attorneys for the Menendez just happened to find it. And there's some logic to it. You know, it was held by I think grandmother or something until she died. So in any case, here's George Gascon looking at this and going, wow, we have new evidence. Now I happen to be a fan of if you really have new evidence, you open this thing up. You know a lot of times when they have DNA that now basically proves someone was not there. Do you know that prosecutors and judges appella judges will say too late, too bad, you didn't bring it up in time, But I have.
Speaker 1: Proof that we didn't. He didn't do it, doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: You have time limits here, and so we'll see what happens with the DA. Now, Gascone, Well, he's certainly not going to say. I don't think he's going to say, let's retry him, because everybody knows. I mean, there was no issue. Their defense was not they didn't do it. Their defense was that it was self defense. And so is he going to ask for a re sentencing hearing where a judge can lower it to let's say, life imprisonment with the possibility of parole. Well, they've been in jail for thirty years and they've been model prisoners, and they've done everything that is being asked.
Speaker 1: Of them, and they were helping other prisoners, you know, the normal crap.
Speaker 2: You know, we're helping other prisoners, you know, we you know, we found God and we're sort of chaplains and helping everybody with you know, their views on life and making them making life easier for their prisoners with a religious bent. That typically happens. So I wonder where George.
Speaker 1: Gascone is going to go to this. Now would I look at this?
Speaker 2: I put myself in the shoes, and I'm not a big gas goone fan, and.
Speaker 1: I consider myself, yeah, you know pretty.
Speaker 2: I would say conservative when it comes to crime and sentencing, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But I would look at it.
Speaker 2: I would look at it because if it was legitimate self defense, not self defense at that moment, but the abuse and the rapes and the threats about the rapes from Dad were part of it, I wouldn't give them life in prison without possibility of parole. I would look at parole thirty years later. So we'll see what the DA does. We'll see what to see. Now, guess what A book is about to be published by Milania Trump, and we're talking next Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's going to be published.
Speaker 2: And it turns out that she is a passionate supporter of a woman's right to control her own body. And I mean not just she's pro choice. She is pro choice with a capital P. And here's what she writes in this memoir quote, it is imperative to guarantee that women have autonomy in deciding their preference of having children based on their own convictions, free from any intervention or pressure from the government.
Speaker 1: No room for compromise.
Speaker 2: Why should anyone other than the woman herself have the power to determine what she does with her own body. A woman's fundamental right of individual liberty to her own life grants her the authority to terminate her pregnancy if she wishes.
Speaker 1: And there's more.
Speaker 2: Restricting a woman's right to choose whether to terminate an unwanted pregnancy is the same as denying her control over her own body. I have carried this belief with me throughout my entire life.
Speaker 1: Now, this GE's kind of interesting, to say the least.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I think Donald Trump handled this very well when he was asked about this.
Speaker 1: I mean, there really is only one answer, and that he gave it and.
Speaker 2: Is the appropriate to answer. And that is real simple. She has her own opinions. I'm never going to tell her what to do, and if it's contrary to my opinion, so be it. What is interesting about this book is that this is a woman who does not like publicity. She is one of the shyest in terms of not being a public figure of any first lady that I remember maybe Laura Bush.
Speaker 1: No, not even no.
Speaker 2: No, she's beyond Laura Bush in terms of privacy. And for her to come out with this strength with her pro choice philosophy, first of all, is in direct contradiction of most of the Republican or a good part of the Republican Party. And she is I don't know if the ads are going to be in terms of those states where reproductive rights are in question. She also there was a post did on social media. I don't know what platform it is, and she talks about this right out.
Speaker 1: She looks at the camera and says she is pro abortion. Now.
Speaker 2: Her husband, Donald Trump, as we know, is sort of taking both sides of it. First of all, he talks about how proud he is of selecting those three Supreme Court judges.
Speaker 1: Is that killed Roe v. Wade? I told you I was going to do it. I did it.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, because of the backlash and there's tons of it from women about reproductive rights, he's backed up and said, no, no, I wanted to leave it to the states. I didn't want to kill abortion. I just wanted to leave it to the states, which, yeah, I don't know you know, that's kind of wish you why she But that's a presidential candidate. You have to pander to everybody, and he is. And it's not as if Kamala Harris is not pandering either. But it's kind of interesting that Milania Trump came out this strongly. Also, she disagrees with Donald Trump on aspects of immigration policy.
Speaker 1: She is an immigrant.
Speaker 2: She comes from somewhere in Eastern Europe, Czechoslovakia or whatever country she comes from, and became a US citizen.
Speaker 1: And I saw she is clearly legal.
Speaker 2: She got a green card like everybody else got a green card, become a US citizen. And so this is an American speaking. But when you come from another country and you adopt this country, and that's exactly what my parents did, and that's exactly how I view it, you think differently about immigration now, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I think you got to be legal. It's that simple.
Speaker 2: I'm not a big fan of those people that come over here illegally, but that is you know, I've talked about it. You know where I stand on this, and we've had discussions about this and their story after story. The interesting one is Malania Trump coming out this strongly, and I mean really strongly in favor of reproductive rights. And then one of the things I have always said, with the exception for rape and incests, which most of those that are pro that are pro life say, I have to tell you, I don't get it. If life is sacrisanct, why is it any sacrissainct if rape happens or incest happens. Now, obviously the girl gets raped, and sometimes down to fourteen years old or fifteen years old, of course she's going to be devastated.
Speaker 1: Of course her life.
Speaker 2: Is going to take a turn, and she'd probably have to deal with for the rest of her life. But if life is sacrisanct, why is it less sacrissaninct under these conditions. Now it's easy for me because I'm about as pro abortion as you can get, so I don't have a problem in arguing that a woman has the absolute right to make a decision about her body. But there is a very interesting dilemma going on amongst the pro life crowd where the number of people who say, oh yeah, no exception for rape or insect herschel Walker got in a lot of trouble for that.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you.
Speaker 2: These are the people that I don't think I have a dilemma, a moral dilemma at all, as I don't have a moral dilemma in being pro choice. So it's interesting dichotomy. What's going on. Oh and there's also a story that she wanted a quarter of a million dollars to do an interview on CNN, and that's coming out, and I don't know how much of it that's true. It's like she needs a quarter of a million dollars. Yeah, I don't think so. Okay, Now, a story about overrides and overrides of a decision that the governor makes in California.
Speaker 1: Now, there's a supermajority.
Speaker 2: In this state, which means that if you have two thirds of both houses, that can be any governor signing any veto can be overridden with two thirds majority. I mean, that's easy. If in this the legislature passes a bill and in one case, I'm talking about a bill that was seventy zero in the Assembly and only two in thirty eight two.
Speaker 1: In the Senate.
Speaker 2: You think that's enough to override the veto?
Speaker 1: It wasn't. Veto was not overridden.
Speaker 2: You know, in the last time a governor's a governor's veto was overridden in California. Nineteen seventy nine was the last time there was a veto overridden. Why would that happen? You have a state legislature, Senate, and the Assembly that passes almost unanimously a bill.
Speaker 1: And the governor goes no vetoing it.
Speaker 2: You think they would override it. Nope, they don't. Now is the governor that powerful? Yeah? Taking a page out of Donald Trump's power in the Republican Party. No one in California is willing to take a chance, No legislatoror is willing to take a chance of overriding a governor's veto. And you wonder why, Well, it's a modern day version. And this is according to a politics professor University of California, Berkeley, it's the modern day version of if you come after the King, you'd better not miss. So Monday was the deadline for the governor to act on twelve hundred bills that the legislature sent to his desk, and he either signs them or he vetoes them, and he vetoed about almost sixteen percent of the total bills pass That's a lot of veto and for different reasons.
Speaker 1: He vetoed it.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the governor also signs a veto message when he vetos it.
Speaker 1: Usually there's a veto.
Speaker 2: Messays explaining why and he did it for different reasons.
Speaker 1: According to those messages, thirty percent.
Speaker 2: Due to budget concerns too much money, twenty seven percent due to disagreements over policy. Now we disagree on policy, another twenty two because they were unnecessary or stepped on the toes of other state agencies or local governments.
Speaker 1: There was a content flicked.
Speaker 2: That's what happened to me when I was involved in writing a surrogacy bill in the mid eighties, and I got both And this was a lot of politics. There were a lot of It's not me. I just happened to be involved in writing the bill. There were a lot of reproductive people involved, and there were a lot of labs IVF labs that were part of it. And we got it passed and the governor vetoed it, and his reason was, no, there really isn't an issue here. Faing broke, don't fix it. No one's ever been nailed on this issue. And it had to do with the upholding of a surrogacy conentre, He goes, you know what, it's no big deal, I'm vetoing it. It took the California's Supreme Court to establish the law. But the point is that was part of the veto message, and in that case it was pretty close that.
Speaker 1: It would never have been overridden.
Speaker 2: But can you imagine a bill that literally you're talking one hundred percent of the Assembly, ninety five percent of the Senate, and they won't override it. There is there isn't even a motion to override. Does the governor have that much power where if the legislature overrides his veto?
Speaker 1: Apparently yes.
Speaker 2: We look at the power of Donald Trump over the Republican Party, which is enormous. You don't go if you're a Republican, you don't go against former President Trump. Looks like the same thing is happening in California.
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 2: A legislator does not go against what the governor wants. Now, the governor says, there are three governor's office, there are three branches of government, and if the legislature disagrees with what the executive branch read the governor does, well that's their prerogative.
Speaker 1: It turns out there really isn't a prerogative.
Speaker 2: Turns out you don't take a chance because it looks like a governor has that much power and can simply.
Speaker 1: Say that guy is out.
Speaker 2: Even to the point where Scott Wiener, probably i would say, the most liberal senator out there, introduced a bill to reduce drug costs and Newsom overrode that, or Newsom vetoed it. Why because there it wasn't powerful enough. Therefore, I'm going to veto this. We need more information. Really, you ever heard of something called first steps? So Wiener said, this is a bad veto. I disagree. The citizens of California must be protected against big pharma and these ridiculous drug costs. And so he said, outright, bad, bad boy. You shouldn't have vetoed it. Does he move for an override? No, no he doesn't. He didn't have the balls to do that or the hashim to do that.
Speaker 1: All right, So much for that.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm looking at my phone and I've got how many, yeah, maybe two dozen apps on my phone, maybe a little more, and that's nothing.
Speaker 1: How many apps do you have on your phone? Neil, Oh, don't even get me started. Amy. How many apps?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like ten? Pages of them?
Speaker 1: Ten pages? All right? And how many apps? Same thing? About about six pages? And cono, can you afford a phone? Yes? Okay? And how many how many apps do you have? Oh?
Speaker 2: Good for you countered him? Okay, so I have the fewest. Because I have the fewest. There's a few that I don't even know I had.
Speaker 1: And I have no idea. I have a fitness app.
Speaker 2: Oh god, you think I look at that one. No, so I've got a few shortcuts. I don't even know what that app is. Nord passed, no idea what that? What that is?
Speaker 1: The rest of them? Are you know? Pretty good? Monarch? What the hell is monarch?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yes, it is, thank you. I have no idea what that app is.
Speaker 2: The point is we are apped to death, to the point where how many apps are there? The last time I think that, I remember Apple came out with account of apps, it was four hundred thousand. Now i'm and that was years ago. Now I'm assuming it's in the millions. And think of how pervasive. Okay, of course Apple McDonald's has one, but Duncan has one, Every chain restaurant has one. Every food delivery service Uber eats, all of them. Home depot loads, Target, Ikia, Walmart, Whole Foods.
Speaker 1: How about paying.
Speaker 2: For products and services on your app? Venmo, cash app, PayPal, I mean, just as Zell. Now you can track your mental health and find out how mentally ill you are. Because you have so many apps. There's an app for that New York you can scan the subway. An app tells you which lines are out of service. That's an easy one, all of them. You've got the Uber apps, lift curb man. How about the apps for your kids? Where are they in terms of school? Where are they period? In terms of you know, locator apps. I have one of those on How about apps for different classes? Class Dojo, Bright Wheel? I mean I can't even stop Google Docs, Google sheet, slides, mail, you know, man, I'm gonna go through them because I would spend I don't know how many minutes, how many segments would I go on these apps?
Speaker 1: So let me ask around.
Speaker 2: Survey says, all right, Neil, you have dozens and dozens of apps. How many do you actually pages? Sixteen pages? How many do you actually use sixteen pages? How many are there per page?
Speaker 1: Four eight questions?
Speaker 2: It's like twenty five twenty four apps per page?
Speaker 1: And you have sixteen pages. How many do you actually use? I use quite a few of them, but that's very good, thank you. Quite a few, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Use twenty four of them, Let's say twenty four out of what two hundred more? Okay, Cono, how many apps do you use?
Speaker 1: Out? Are you fifty two? I use all fifty two? Do you really? I mean, I delete them? And you know you clearly have no life?
Speaker 2: Okay, Amy, You've got page after page? How many apps do you actually use?
Speaker 3: I probably use a couple dozen of them. There's some on there that like, I put them on there ten years ago and they're still there, and I've never I don't go back to them at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I even though I think I'm overwhelmed, I'm not even.
Speaker 1: Close to the apps that you use.
Speaker 2: And there is no place now, no store, no service that doesn't have an app. And are we overwhelmed by apps? To the point, Well, it's like cable TV or you have the different platforms. I don't even know how many of these I have. I'm looking at him and I'm overwhelmed. I know I pay for them a lot. I look at the bill every month and it's several hundred dollars a month. I'm going I never even watched that. And apps are free and it's out of control. So are we reached the point where there's.
Speaker 1: So many apps and you only a few.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm looking at my apps and I've got, you know, one page. I basically have two pages of apps, which means I probably am in the same category as Kno. I may be I may have fifty apps, of which I probably use twenty. So what am I doing with thirty apps?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: My BMW app that's not working. By the way, what is a meet app? Meet me et not meat?
Speaker 3: Is it a dating app?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I really don't know. Let me see. Welcome to Google Meet.
Speaker 2: You can make video calls to friends and family, creating a room.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I do use teams because we use teams at the station when you talk to clients or we have meetings, et cetera. Well, high quality video calls and any device continue as bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 2: Thank you for telling me that, uh why I was uh yeah, that I would use yo, Yeah, exactly. You know what is the best part of a cow?
Speaker 1: Uh? You know? Where do you find cows?
Speaker 2: Any up to date apps on there, like AOL or any No, No.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 2: Uh No, that's funny. Uh we still use uh you know what my kids have. Uh AOL apps been around for a long time. Anyway, I mean we're just app to death. The point is is that it's so over so overwhelming that have we just lost the ability to even figure out what kind of apps? And here is as Amy said, Uh she uh had put on apps ten years ago and have no idea what they even mean. Cono, you keep up with your apps, right if you're not using them, they're so you're you're smart about that. What's the weirdest app you you have?
Speaker 1: Cono weirdest? Yeah, I'm just curious. I don't know if I have a World Star I guess, but that's just like the depths of Humanity. Okay, that's good, Neil, weirdest app. That's very funny. What's the weirdest app you have? Oh?
Speaker 2: I have some you know, I don't know that I call them weird, but I have like apps for movie props and things like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, that's that's but that you use that stuff. And Amy, what are your useless apps that you have? And then we have to go.
Speaker 3: I have one called Talking Tom. It's and I don't even know if it if it even works, but you basically talk to it and it repeats what you said's your voice, and you come out and you'll break a cat. It's really funny.
Speaker 1: Talking Tom is uh. Yeah, I would have guessed that it.
Speaker 2: Has males use that particularly, and it's a never mind, we're not going to go into that, so yeah.
Speaker 1: I can see that. Okay, we're done, guys. Feeney finished coming up Foody.
Speaker 2: Friday with Nil Savedra, which we always do on Friday KFI AM six forty live everywhere on.
Speaker 1: The iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app