Speaker 1: Thing news that's well Trump does is.
Speaker 2: Negotiate every day and he's an extremely small businessman.
Speaker 1: Fifty five r D Talk station.
Speaker 3: If it about krsee talks nation, must be something German going on. Got our German Bubba music. Thank you to Joe Strecker for that. And welcome back to the fifty five KRSE Morning Show. Hair Don Heinrich Toltzman will come and my friend, it's good to have you back on the show.
Speaker 2: Tonka Goten Morgan, Guten Morgan. Looks like a beautiful day, beautiful weekend, and we have some great, good, beautiful news for you. This coming week starts the German festival season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know.
Speaker 2: You patronize, would love to see you as our various German events. And I think you even have a pair of later.
Speaker 1: I do, I absolutely do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get those out and be sure to bring your you're thirst and hunger along to our events.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that was I have to give a thanks going back many years, the Colping Society got me the later hosen, So really I'm pleased to own them only a few occasions during the year when I can actually wear them because as a fashion statement, just walking around an any random day with leader hosen On. I think it looks weird, but hey, they are. They're pretty cool. When you got all the German folks around similarly dressed, you're in good company, of course, hoisting beers and drink, eating the wonderful food and the sausages and oh my god, my mouth is water, and just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Well later hosting last forever they do. And you know, in our area too, we figure that half the population has German ancestry, so the largest ethnic ancestry group in the area, second to us are the Irish and of course many other people.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: We celebrate our heritage and we have this coming week a big event. It's the one hundred and thirtieth German Day celebration, and we have one of the oldest such celebrations in the nation. And the German American Citizens League is the sponsoring organization. Was founded in eighteen ninety five and it's the umbrella organization of all the societies in the Tri State. People might not realize it, but we have more than forty of them. You mentioned the Colping, that's one of the member societies. There's the Donal Schwaubman, the Germania, the Hendelmeyer, Mustard Club. Yes, we do have a German mustard club.
Speaker 1: I didn't know about that one. Oh it's great.
Speaker 2: They meet at Vitelmann's group ub once a month and enjoy some good Bavarian mustard. We also have since Deutsch. So many people don't realize that there are so many Germans, and we have more in our area than in any other city, and that means more than the Saint Louis, more than a Milwaukee, and the German Embassy even said that we were the German heritage center in the US. So we are proud that we maintain our German heritage. And for the one hundred and thirtieth German Day, we have a three day. Three events had three different days.
Speaker 1: One day is not enough.
Speaker 3: You're celebrating the German Day singular because with events that take place every three days.
Speaker 1: I got a kick out of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we should. Well, you can say German Days, but we call it we celebrate you. Like you said, it's not one day is not enough.
Speaker 1: No, we do well.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of food.
Speaker 1: I know real quick. Here.
Speaker 3: The one thing I always thought was really really cool in spite of the fact you have all these different I'll say factions of German clubs out there. You all get along and play together. Really you're supportive of each other. Like if Coping has their October Fest, all the German clubs show up and participate in the events. There's a parade, they all have their own banners and it's just a really cool thing that the German societies and clubs do well.
Speaker 2: It's all mutual support of each other and it reflects the German immigration and the different parts of Germany, from the South, from Bavaria to the north, all these different parts of now each has their own customs and traditions that we like to stress. Now we get going. On Wednesday, the twenty eighth, we have a keg tapping at the Hofbra House in Newport, so that'll be a lot of fun, good food and drink there. And then on Saturday, the thirty first of May at ten thirty we have our German Day kickoff at Finlay Market. They have a very nice beer garden there on Elm Street and we like to meet in Finlay Market because that's where the roots of many of our groups.
Speaker 1: Go back to.
Speaker 2: And we'll have the Headdona Shauben dancers will be there we will have a parade of all the different societies that you were mentioning. Yeah, and then we have our good German band, the solled the fair fair Eines Muzikompton consists of musicians from the different German societies and even promised this year they're going to play some of the hit songs from eighteen ninety five, which is going to be great. And then on Sunday, the first of June, from eleven am to eight pm, we have the German Day Celebration at the Hofboy House and we will have the Colping zanger Kore, the German choir from Colping. We'll have some Bavarian dancers there and of course a German band, and we have all kinds of raffle prices that will be available. And the grand prize is a dinner party for thirty at the Holfbriye House. And some people said, well, I don't know if I have thirty friends, but when they turned out to be a winner, they have more than thirty friends.
Speaker 3: That's a good point, don because that's exactly what I was thinking. I mean, it would take me a month to come up with thirty people to get to an event or and like, wait, I don't have that many friends. But it's free food, it's dinner. It's a hofbrow house. The food's going to be great. There's going to be beer flowing, and I know it excludes your alcoholic beverages as these things I typically do, I think by law. But you'll still be able to buy some beer when you're.
Speaker 2: There, exactly. And then I should say too, our celebration too. It supports as a fundraiser for our German heritage museum. We started at twenty five years ago and it's located in the West Fort Park on the west side of town, and we felt that there was nothing like it. There is actually nothing like it in our midwestern area. A German heritage museum. And it's in a beautiful park where we have playground for children. There's a pavilion there, and it's in a nineteenth century loghouse and we have many interesting artifacts there. We have immigrant trunks, we have wooden shoes that immigrants from northern Germany war. We have tools and cooking utensils, we have passports someone go back well to the early eighteen hundreds, and we have a lot of pictures. We even have some people might be interested in this. We have a painting of Kaiser Wilhelm with his signature oh wow, so it's quite where a rare item. We also have genealogical books and sources there and so it's a very unique thing. The German Heritage Museum has open Sundays from one to five or one to four, i should say, and it's just a great place to come out and learn more about the German heritage because we're Alford Mulish kite and festivities, but we also want to stress learning more about the cultural history and the German immigration and the different groups we have here, which we've been talking about because they all have their different customs and tradition coming from different parts of the country. And we'd like to see you there in your later hosen good make it maybe to the Hofbrals or to find the market. Would love to see you there and everybody to come there and learn more about the German heritage and have a good time. Also.
Speaker 3: Yeah, profound connection between the Germans and the greatest Sincinti area. As you point out now in regard to the German Heritage Museum, you mentioned a number of artifacts and historic things you have there, I'm kind of curious how you collected those over the years, and if they're members in the if there's members of the listening audience who might have some historic items that are German connected, if they want someplace, do you accept donations of things with historic connection to Germany.
Speaker 2: Well, we do connect items or collect items that relate to the German heritage of our area. In other words, we do not collections are just because they're from Germany or related to Germany. They have to connect to our area and to the German people who settled here, and so yes, we can be contacted about donations. We do have a Facebook site for the German Heritage Museum and people have donated many valuable things. I mentioned these immigrant trunks that we have from the nineteenth century and some from the early twentieth century, the wooden shoes, we even have a spinning wheel was brought here, and we had tools that were made by craftsmen, because in the old Country you studied a craft or trade by the apprentice ship system, and then you had to produce a tool that showed that you were had a master of that trade and becoming all these people who had these trades, they brought them here to this country, and they helped build buildings and build our community here because of these crafts and trades, so Andy don't have many. The passports are interesting too, because in the nineteenth century they didn't have a picture. They would have have a detailed description of what a person look like. They tell if you were thick or thin, if you had a pointed nose, with the color of your hair, with your ears like. The passports are really quite descriptive, or if you have you know, whatever you look like in general. But yes, we do like to collect some things, and some of them items They came from the old German societies that had holes in the over the Rhine district and we collected their items. We had some very large pictures of members of German societies going back to the early nineteen hundreds, and in some cases we have collected the names of the people in a picture. For example, the Bavarian Beneficial Society that was found in eighteen seventy five, we've got a picture, must have all about fifty sixty of the members, and we have the names of these people. And some people actually they've come to the museum they said, here's a picture of our grandfather or our grandmother and we've never seen this picture. Oh wow, it's really really something that when they find that information. So we have again all the German Day celebration. It's a fundraiser supports our museum, and we're very proud that we have. Just think of that one hundred and thirty years that our organization has been founded. And we had some hard times in the past, especially prohibition. Can you imagine having a German festival without beer?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Well, thankfully we woke up and I got a clue about the stupidity of prohibition. So celebrate with the Germans even if you're not German. That's the other thing I always like to point out. You are welcoming to all people, so you can be a German on German Heritage Day and checks and celebrate things German and the German Heritage Museum. You know, Don Toltzman, I always appreciate the work that you're doing on behalf of the German history and the German community generally and all these different societies. You always have a welcome spot here in the fifty five KRC Morning Show and for my listeners, all the details for these events that Harr Toltzman talked about are on my blog page at fifty five KRC dot com. Uh feeling donk Haro, Don Don Heinrich Toltzman, It's always a pleasure to have you on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Brian. I keep up the great work with every show.
Speaker 3: Thanks brother, I truly appreciate that. It's eight nineteen right now, forty five KR see the talk station, and we're gonna talk about the ALS fundraiser coming up. Richard Dickman's going to join the program at the bottom of the hour, and we're gonna hear from John Zinzer at eight forty five at Save Hyde Park Square Signature Campane. Looks like they've got enough. We'll get that details on that coming up, and hope you can stick around.
Speaker 1: Fifty five car the Toxi