Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of September ninth, we're discussing season four, episode three of Only Murders in the Building. It was called two for the Road, and so we had the three actors on site, so everybody was paired off with their with their actor who's portraying them. And did you notice the pants that Eva Longoria was wearing.
Speaker 1: Were they sort of checkered?
Speaker 2: Yes, but they had like zippers right under her butt cheeks and they were open.
Speaker 3: Like that's not something Mabel.
Speaker 1: No, Well, clearly she doesn't really care about what Mabel would ever wear or mobil. But at some point in this episode, Ohma showed up. Yes, I recommend. Last week she said something like, whatever you're doing, I hate it, and it's like, yes, high five through the screen, Oma, even though you would never high five. Speaking for me, Oh my gosh, this Hollywood stuff is just so so in love with itself that I can't stand it. Yeah, it's just so cute. We're going to parody ourselves. I mean, I'm glad they're having a good time. I'm not, but they are. It's real, Claire. I mean, Eugene Levy is coming off about the best I think. But you know, God bless if you want to do the self parody. Okay, but.
Speaker 2: Do I have to watch?
Speaker 1: Maybe it's every other episode is not going to involve the actors. He knows I can enjoy, and.
Speaker 2: So next week will be a better week for you.
Speaker 1: Golly, where is jan when we need her? Can you dispatch some of these people?
Speaker 3: Miss?
Speaker 1: If I was Eugene Levy, though, I'd be a little worried that the last person who is copying Charles got shot.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: Maybe he wants to, you know, dress extremely differently and color his hair or do something to make it clear he's not that guy, at least until they're on a set. But if the sniper wants to take out Longoria Galafanakis, go for it. You have my blessings.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh gosh, we were right about Mabel taking possession of the apartment.
Speaker 1: Yes, Watters, right, you go right.
Speaker 2: But she also is like she thingured, you know, she has a twofold approach, right, because she's trying to lure the person back that was living there.
Speaker 1: Is it safe for her to be standing there all by herself?
Speaker 2: Right? This is this is the parent angle on this episode. Like no, no, no, no, no no no no no no right, do not squat.
Speaker 1: Even just the squatting, no, no, no, but being alone in a place where there's a high likelihood a murderer will come back and wish to dispatch you. No, not even about Eva Longoria's days.
Speaker 2: Because she's not going to be of any us, that is no.
Speaker 1: Nor will she be caught dead in that apartment. So yeah, well dead maybe so.
Speaker 2: But dead upward term yes, yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Just seems unreasonably risky. Would the guys let her do that? I don't know. I guess they can see her through their window. If this is going to make any difference whatsoever.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, Charles, she's just going to clean that place up a little bit, isn't she.
Speaker 3: It does look quite disgusting.
Speaker 2: Maybe she thinks that the pig is going to serve as a guard animal of some kind. Yeah, that pig seems to be living with her again. But skipping around to the to the end of this episode, Yes, what they do is they determined that they should listen to the c the Ham radio. Yes, they have a frequency, they have a time, So instead of just turning it on and listening to see what is said, uh huh, they talk to this person like.
Speaker 3: You just I don't know, right.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, why are you giving yourself away to say who you are? That doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of many very bad ideas in this episode. Right, also real lost vibes there with an accent talking through the radio. Right and Perfect Strangers. Yay, I remember the Perfect Stranger's theme song, But there was a whole thing I think in the Leftovers involving very randomly perfect strangers. Really like, isn't there another kind of quirky sitcom from that time that you could pick up and stay Is it just going to be perfect strangers? It's going to be the cool thing to reference in your entertainment product. I don't know, it seemed odd to me. Yeah, it was the whole thing. There was a lot of talk about things being awkward in this episode, and I'm like, yep, it sure is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a little bit like our Like we enjoyed the after party a lot, but it was always like, well, this week, we're focusing on this person, so we know that they're not the killer because it's too early, so we have to like set them up and knock them down every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Although, see, I really need to go back and watch the first season of Only Murders in the Building because I seem to remember it as not necessarily being quite that way, and that jam was sort of maybe a little suspicious, and then fine, and then the killer and then the killer. So I thought it was a little twistier. Yeah, maybe this will wind up being twisty, but so far it's just Oh, I'm so sorry to say annoying parenting wise, though, I did enjoy the little pep talk thing Howard tried to give mm hmm about Oliver, and it's like I have been in the middle of that speech before and then thought, oh, this and so good, Like, honey, yeah, you didn't get it, but you tried, you know what. They knock you down and you try again, and you never really succeed, but you keep trying, and then you suddenly realize, I'm saying my kid's a loser. Stop parents, think it through before you give the pep talk. Find something positive other than yeah, you're always a loser, but we still love you. Well, yeah you will never be the star, honey, but that they need participants, and look at you up there participating. This is not helpful. This is not making the kid feel good. It's like, well, my mom thinks that, even my mom thinks I'm not as a star, right right, Oh gosh, but that was hilarious in context. But yes, yeah, yeah, I have a little more self awareness with that than Howard that at some point you probably should stop talking, right your your peptop game needs work. Yes, yes, there's gotta be something. And also the whole thing with the Christmas Christmas guy. It was not really so much into Christmas, but just had some success with Christmas and then was stuck with it. Yes, I think we've all had that with our kids. You know, you do something and the kid loves it, so you do it again, and then you have to do it five million times, right, and you know, think about it first to get through. It's that's second time you need to say, and that was fun, Let's do something else now. But once you get into a pad, you have to do it. Every Christis or every summer or every vacation, you have to do it, and then you just cannot ever ever escape, right because their in your stomach.
Speaker 3: Their memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they may not be able to remember, you know, the times tables, but they will remember the one time you said something. You know, you made some promise, or you did something one way and you know.
Speaker 3: But last time you did it this way?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and that ever that's it.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You are doomed to wear Christmas sweaters, you know, all year year around.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yep.
Speaker 1: Oh man, so many, so many unfortunate ideas.
Speaker 3: I do like Camille Montiani, though I do too.
Speaker 1: He was very I was glad he turned out to not be apparently not be murderous. We never really know, but right, apparently not right and a nice neighbor, but apparently not a fan of Tinsel. So what is knowledge that Tinsel burns?
Speaker 2: Yes? And also what could that other thing be then? If not Tinsel?
Speaker 1: Yes, what could it be?
Speaker 2: It looked also to me like, you know, some people cover their windows.
Speaker 1: With like, yeah, that's filmy kind of.
Speaker 2: Foiley stuff, so maybe it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe, So what is the thing with the pig? The pig with the person on the radio was calling out the pig's name or something. I couldn't quite get what was going on there.
Speaker 2: It did seem like that, yes, but I couldn't.
Speaker 3: I couldn't quite catch.
Speaker 1: He loves you or something like that, right, but I couldn't. Yeah, I couldn't quite understand what was happening there. Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's like that that Ham radio and then the thing with.
Speaker 1: The Ham radio yak yah yuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well and the thing with the code for the door to that apartment yeah, also spelling oh hell, like.
Speaker 1: Right, what huh?
Speaker 2: It's just I guess I guess red herring is the term so many clues.
Speaker 1: You want to just be like Eva Longoria going this is it. My view is decisive, right, but not the way it works. We got ten weeks to fill, lady.
Speaker 3: I know you're just a lot more time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my, But I think that we have a recurring joke going with the names of the pig, because I think Howard went through three or four and then there were some other suggestions coming in. So every week it's going to be a different one or two, or five or ten, which is is uh? I approve of that.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, and maybe that will have something. It will be a clue as well.
Speaker 1: Well, we can only hope. So that will be fun, the sort of fun that we've had on this show before. I just I mean, is it just me or do you find the Hollywood stars making fun of themselves aspect of this to just be tiresome in the extreme?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's been done, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure has Yeah, And I mean they're given it, they're all. But I want it take it back, go back to Hollywood. Let us have a mystery show here. Come on. Yeah, we got pigs to deal with and serial killers in the passageways and the Feds taking over and all sorts of problems. Yeah, at some point, clearly they have to go back to Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: But all right, I'm sure there's another round trip in our future.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just if it's every other episode, I probably can handle it. If it's like if we get a good, fun New York based building based history week and then oh huh, Hollywood celebrities, right, you know, at least they could do is throw Meryl Streep into the deal. Come on, she couldn't have come out with them.
Speaker 2: I know, well she's busy on her on her show. Oh but we did. We can congratulate Passic and Paul who wrote yes song.
Speaker 3: For getting an Emmy.
Speaker 1: And actually not just that, but all the songs. There were a number of songs from it was it in the Light or something and.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah that was a pretty song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there were like I think three songs that were performed. Creatures of the Night was another one. So I think it was just for music for the show. I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: A outstanding original music and lyrics. It says for their season three ear worm, which of the Pickwick trips.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, maybe it's just that one. For that one, it's totally deserving. Yes, but I thought maybe it included the other ones as well, so which also work quite quite well done and perfect for the particular need.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and just very much fun too, Yes, watch and rewatch Yes, and.
Speaker 1: Just remains delightful and Steve Martin's performance thereof though it benefits from having watched it in the show and see him screw it up so many times.
Speaker 3: Yes that is true, that is true.
Speaker 1: But still what will be the fun little show piece we watch over and over again this time?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So far? I right, somebody will put together a little compendium of all the pig names.
Speaker 2: But yes, sorry, just to just to close the loop on this. They did win for the song specifically Girls five Abba was also nominated for us the song the Medium Time, and then a Saturday Night live song and.
Speaker 3: A couple other things.
Speaker 2: So okay, we didn't watch or don't care about, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Which chiplets did. It is a is one for the.
Speaker 1: Ages, absolutely real achievement.
Speaker 3: Yes, and now passing and Paul haven't egot.
Speaker 2: That they who care about that?
Speaker 1: I noticed that? Good for them? They are very young.
Speaker 3: Yes that is true.
Speaker 1: So what else do we have to say about this delightful episode, so long, enjoy your flight back to Hollywood. Yes, just trying to think how I mean not to whine, but how unlikely is again? I say, has a podcast ever been made into a movie?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes they have. Yeah, a documentary maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well there's there's.
Speaker 1: In which the podcasters are characters who act as themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's less less so right.
Speaker 2: It's more like whatever story the podcast was telling, yes, turned into a piece of fiction or some.
Speaker 1: Other Okay, so it has happened. I don't know. It just seems this whole thing seems so unlikely. But you know how popular is their podcast?
Speaker 3: We're still waiting for our phone call.
Speaker 1: We are. Yes, we have a decade or more of backstory. You could just comb through it. I'm sure you'd find something interesting.
Speaker 3: You find something you wanted, something.
Speaker 1: Put some intern on that.
Speaker 2: They'll just have to walk around for like a month with air pods in nothing but our podcast going into their ears.
Speaker 3: They will tear their hair.
Speaker 1: Out, yes, yes, but you know it's worth it for art, you know, yea and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right. Next week we'll discuss the next episode of Only Murders in the Building Season four, The Stuntman. We'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.