Speaker 1: Welcome to the show. Be Gay Solve Crime, a production of lesbian chronicles. Hey Melissa, Hey, how's it going good. I'm sitting here in Providence, Rhode Island, where I think God has forgotten about abandoned us because it's still snowing, like insane feet of snow outside my hotel. And the reason that I'm here was for Owen's production, which got canceled. So yeah, but anyway, I'm still really psyched to be here. It's fine. Desease now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally seen some some pretty cool videos. It looks like people in New York City are kind of like taking a little snow day.
Speaker 3: Cool to see.
Speaker 2: In Atlanta, we're back and forth where we were eighty one degree something like that, I think now in some places and now it.
Speaker 1: Was cold when I left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's warm back up.
Speaker 2: I went for a walk just now.
Speaker 3: No jacket needed, so nice.
Speaker 2: But yeah, ready to dive in on this case again with Katie Janis's murder that happened back in twenty twenty one. It's been interesting, you know, the more that episodes that we record and the more that we read on this, it's like there's just little corners of the Internet that you don't even know about that.
Speaker 3: How different.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want to say facts, but we all know the internet's full of fictional tales, so who knows what's real again, you know. I just want to say that our mission in doing this podcast is just to bring more attention to this case because we as Atlanta residents and members of the LGBTQ community, we feel like it's been kind of overlooked. So that's that's our mission here, yes, And.
Speaker 1: We're so so fortunate to have Vincent val Squez come join us from The Murder Mind, which I happened to be a fan. So when I reached out to Vincent, I thought this is a total long shot, and actually I was already a listener. And then Melissa you sent me and said, just try to get this guy. You probably can't, and I just threw a line and I was so thankful that you've responded. Vince, Welcome to the.
Speaker 3: Show, Thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: And I got to tell your show is incredible, Like I love the energy that you two have, like it's just it. When I first listened to it, it's like it feels like you're at home at a table breaking bread, having coffee and just chatty. Like it's not it's not pretentious. It's just really casual and calm and cool, like feel like I don't know you guys, but I feel like I know you.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. That's kind of was when we started Lesbian Chronicles. We were like, we wanted to feel like we're sitting at dinner with friends.
Speaker 2: That's safe space that everybody needs and it's you know, scary everywhere else.
Speaker 4: I mean, when you know, you think about it, you you listen to some podcasts or even watch the news and TV shows and it's just so structured.
Speaker 3: It's just so mechanical.
Speaker 4: And what I really enjoy when I listen to podcasts and and you know, it doesn't have to be true crime. I listened to a million podcasts like This American Life, just about issues that Americans have in this country. Uh, And I really enjoy when the hosts are just very real people, you know. And that's one thing I really like about your show because it's relatable, you know. It's like you know again, it's like then they sound like me, you know, like I talk like that, you know, I just say what's up my mind? And I you know flubb words sometimes and we're human, you know, so I'm not really you know, And that's how my podcast is. My podcast is just me and God. If you saw the outtakes, you know, some of it we can't air. But like I can't say that, I can't say that.
Speaker 3: We know all about that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, it's true. Well, Vince, how did you get into I know you're a retired homicide detective times seventeen years? Did you tell me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was twenty two years with Atlanta PD. Of those twenty two I was in homicide as a detective for seventeen years before I retired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I told Vince, he looks too young to already be retired.
Speaker 2: I wasn't say like, yeah, please start when you were seven?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, thank you, you were seven, thank you?
Speaker 1: Okay, So then you what got you into Murder Mind?
Speaker 4: Well, Murder Mine is this iteration of other shows that I've done. So while I was working homicide, first forty eight arrived in Atlanta and they were with us for a number of years, So I had the pleasure to have that opportunity to you know, be part of that team. On First forty eight.
Speaker 3: It was a little.
Speaker 4: You know, it was kind of a nerving at first to have cameras following you around, but again, I'm just me and again that's who I was. So that was my you know, my first kind of intro to like national TV exposure. Once I retired, my partner and I and Homicide. We had some contacts over the years working on other shows like Cold Case Files Americas most wanted, so we decided, you know, let's see if we can have a show of our own. Long story short, we you know, got with an old producer. We kind of formed a team. We filmed the sizzle reel in my living room. We started shopping it around and as fate would have it, TV one network came in, you know hot, they were like, we want you guys, and our first contract with TV one, they wanted.
Speaker 3: Twelve episodes off the bat, So.
Speaker 4: From that we ended up having four seasons and total we had about sixty plus episodes of our cases telling our cases. From that, we went into a spinoff show called Deadly Case File, same network, TV one. We did one season of that for fifteen episodes, and you know, true crime space is very fickle. We were very fortunate the last four seasons with one show with the other. So after that, my producer and I formed a company, a production company where we're not just trying to tell stories from my perspective, but we're also looking at other projects, media projects. So we had the brainch out of creating a show called Murder Mind, which is me telling my stories, but we're doing it on YouTube and long format. So the shows that we had on the networks were all forty two minutes. It's an hour show. Forty two minutes are the actual case. The rest are commercials. So imagine trying to explain a complex homicide. It lasted two years an investigation in forty two minutes. The Murder Mind shows different. We're spreading this out over eight to ten episodes where you get everything, you get all the details to bring one hundred percent yeah, showing the real interviews of full interrogations, and we're bringing the viewers along with us, almost as if they were my partner.
Speaker 3: On the case. Right. It's incredible.
Speaker 4: The comments are like, oh, check the phone records and you know. So that's the engagement that we are so wanted to do, and so far we've been successful. We launched in July and we're discontinuing to grow. We're very happy about that.
Speaker 1: I have to say Evince that, like, as I listen to your show, it's like, right, like, for instance, the one I'm listening to right now, you're like, okay, and now I'm going to interview the neighbor, and I'm like, oh my god, I get to hear the actual neighbor, like and so it is like you're in the living room of these potential suspects, hearing the questions and then hearing their voice answer. It's just like, I don't. It is captivating because you'll listen to the preamble and then you get to meet the person because of your job. But basically so I thought that was so cool.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we really want to make sure that the viewers and we have an accompanying podcasts as well on all podcast platforms.
Speaker 3: So we want to make sure our listeners and our viewers get that full experience.
Speaker 4: Because when you hear me tell a case and you hear me start talking about what I did, and then we flash back to where you hear me actually interviewing somebody, that's an iteration of me that is different, that's me in detective mode.
Speaker 3: So you actually get to see and hear me.
Speaker 4: How I would act as the detective. Now when I'm telling you what I did is different, but when you're actually hearing me in the moment, it's a version of myself. But it's me, but it's not me, you know, I know what I have to do. When I go in here, I start to pick up on these subtle clues perhaps deception. I start shifting my tone, perhaps I mean, my inflection goes up and down, and you see all those things you see on TV dramas where detectives, you know, really have to like basically be a chameleon.
Speaker 3: You have to really adapt to that situation.
Speaker 4: So I think the viewers really enjoy that listening to that real time at real time investigation.
Speaker 1: You know, first and foremost, you're interviewing a grieving widow who is also could be a suspect, but it's just like you have to go into it with she's not guilty yet and maybe it never will be. But hearing that was it's interesting. I can't turn it off, Like I'm fascinated. I love true crime, but I think your show is really good.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: So diving into the Katie Janis case that happened here in Atlanta in July twenty twenty one. Were you still a detective at that time or had you retired at that point.
Speaker 3: I had retired, So I retired in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: And I was shocked, as most of our community was when I saw that on the news, And of course, all the wheels in my head were spinning when I saw the case. You know, I'm thinking, you know, checklist, what did they do this? Did they did they do that? And honestly, this case really, you know, even for me, it was a little shocking.
Speaker 3: It was just it was so bizarre, It was.
Speaker 4: So out of the norm, it was so egregious, it was it was just so horrific.
Speaker 3: It really one.
Speaker 4: I know, it shocked the public conscience, but to shock me, you know, and I listen, I've stood over hundreds of you know, homicide victims. You know, I hate to say that, and I am somewhat desensitized, but I had a visceral moment with that, right and I can only imagine, and I can only imagine someone who's not in this space what they felt.
Speaker 1: And the gay community, I mean, we felt, you know, at that time period Midtown, the gay bars, like it was such a part of the fabric of the gay community, Piedmont Park, Henry's, you know, like these bars that we all frequent, and then to have this happen, I think for our community was like, I mean, everyone immediately goes to hate crime, but then as it kind of progressed, I don't know that that's the case. I don't know, what do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can imagine, you know, for a community that has had challenges, you know, there's people who their ideology doesn't align with that and they are proactive in disrupting that. So I can imagine people in the gay community automatically going Okay, you have to assume or at least consider that it could be a hate crime. You know, that affects your community in a way that you know, I wouldn't understand. I'm heterosexual, but as a human right, the loss of life is just as tragic. When I started to really start looking at this case and wondering, you know, what would I do all the considerations that certainly would be at the top of the list. Is there someone out there targeting the gay community.
Speaker 3: If that is the case, then that may be easier to solve.
Speaker 4: There could be an avenue there where or path that an investigation can go down, but all the you know, everything's on the table, all considerations are there. If it's not that, if it is personal, where it's rage and it's emotion involved, and then the other possibility is just random, where there's someone who's has this psychosis about them that you know, irrespective of the gender, irrespective of the sexual orientation, they want to commit this harm on somebody. And with all of those considerations, that really opens up the suspect pool is such a broad arena that it can be insurmountable to think, how how are we going to solve this?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Because it does feel like that, I mean, if it was like a random I mean, that is always kind of what I thought is it's just someone lost their mind in the park and did this thing. But it was so egregious, and it just seems like if you're that crazy, you would have left a lot more evidence.
Speaker 2: It was random, and you just suddenly lost it in this rage, Like I would think someone in that case would have made a mistake in some sort evidence behind.
Speaker 3: And maybe you can.
Speaker 2: Speak to this. This has been a question that Ali and I have had is you know, when when a case like this is under investigation, I know that some information is withheld to kind of protect that investigation. Could that be the case here as to why we're not hearing things? You know, we always bring up the ninth sheath that was left behind in the Idaho four case, Like, if there's something like that that maybe they do have, they're just not releasing to that to the public. Is that something that's kind of traditionally done by the police.
Speaker 4: I think in this particular case, if there was something and item like that at this point where we don't really see the needle moving in the investigation, I would imagine that if the police had something like that, they would have released that. They would want the public's help. An item that was left behind, it's distinctive to put that out there. Can use the Nancy Guthrie case where you know the surveillance video Nancy Guthrie from Arizona. I think if the Atlanta Police Department had something like that, by now we.
Speaker 3: Would see that because they need the public help.
Speaker 4: There was DNA on an item left behind, you know, and let me just explain the DNA piece of this thing. So your listeners can understand the possibilities with DNA. So we have a national database of DNA and the state has a database, and that database is for offenders, especially in Georgia in most states, that have been convicted and went to prison.
Speaker 3: That's when they get swabbed.
Speaker 4: So if you're arrested in this state, you're not swab for DNA. So all of those people, and there are way more people who have been arrested that didn't get convicted or were convicted and didn't serve time in prison just the county jail, they're not going to have We're not going to have their DNA.
Speaker 3: In the database.
Speaker 4: So if they had a DNA profile, if they do at this point, and they ran it through what's.
Speaker 3: Called CODIS, which is the local.
Speaker 4: And national database, and there's no hit, then you still have to develop a suspect and then do a one on one comparison to say that's the person that may very.
Speaker 3: Well be the case here.
Speaker 4: I've read that there was, you know, consideration that the dog Bowie may have bitten the perpetrator.
Speaker 3: Great possibility. We all assume our dogs will want.
Speaker 4: To protect us, so that's reasonable if they have a partial profile or a full profile and they don't have a suspect right now. That's not doing us any good. We can't compare that to anybody. We don't know who it is. So that's one piece. If there is anything that they're withholding right now, it could be something sensitive that.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't want.
Speaker 4: Police don't want people calling in with information that they get from the media. They have been false confessions or people who want notoriety. It could be something like that, and it could be something that they have to keep close to the chest because.
Speaker 3: It's something only the killer would know.
Speaker 4: Therefore, if we put it out there and they identify a suspect and you know there's some type of nexus between that piece of evidence and the suspect, they've already got that information.
Speaker 3: So they got to be real careful.
Speaker 4: So when I'm interviewing somebody, and you know, I ask roundabout questions. If you if you listen to my show, you know, listen to some of my interviews, I ask a lot of open ended questions.
Speaker 3: You know, as an.
Speaker 4: Example, so do you drive a car or do you you know, take the bus, what do you do like, let's just say mass transit is a piece of my investigation, and the suspect says to me, I don't own a car, okay, so how do you get around?
Speaker 3: I take a bus? Checkbox, I've checked that off right now.
Speaker 4: I know this person I'm interviewing has now indicated that they take mass transit, and mass transit is a huge piece of my puzzle. Now it doesn't mean he did it, but that's just one piece, and I'm moving folding in another. I'm moving folded in another direction. We don't know what we don't know. So if the Atlanta Police Department has something that is crucial to this investigation and they're not releasing it to the public, there's a really good reason for that. I don't know what that reason is right now. I can only surmise, but there is a possibility that that does exist.
Speaker 3: Though, if you.
Speaker 1: Have DNA, okay, so you can't get someone's DNA, I'm sure it's because it's an infringement on their rights in some way. But is it like if you know that someone or you think somebody is guilty, but you have no way to know because they're not in Codis is it like then you get the warrant to get their DNA? Like, how do you then do it.
Speaker 3: There's two ways you could do that.
Speaker 4: If you have enough probable cause to get that warrant right, there's some nexus between that suspect in the crime, there's evidence, not enough so much to arrest them, but enough for a judge to sign a warrant.
Speaker 3: Then you go present the warrant and you swab them.
Speaker 4: The other way is surreptitious samples where you actually follow them, and there's many cases where this has happened, in high profile cases where they follow them to a restaurant and they discard their straw or their fork or they leave it on the table. Once you walk away from that table, you have no longer had an expectation of privacy. You can then take the fork, take the straw. A lot of times. You know, I did a case one time where I had a suspect. He ended up not being my suspect, but he was so hinky he wouldn't give us DNA.
Speaker 3: He looked like the sketch.
Speaker 4: We had a you know, artist rendition of what he looks like from a victim.
Speaker 3: Because he killed one.
Speaker 4: Girl and raped her, and then he raped another girl so that and didn't kill her. So that young girl was able to give us a sketch, would not give us this DNA, tried to give him a bottle of water, took it with him, acting completely bizarre, and I was convinced this is my guy. So I ended up having to do almost a week surveillance, a week long surveillance of him at his residence. And for all accounts, we didn't think he smoked. We asked people that knew him and said he doesn't smoke. And lo and behold, like day six of this surveillance, he leaves his house. I'm filming him and he starts to smoke a cigarette and I follow him, and I've got this old camp quarter and I'm trying to drive and I'm filming him and I see him throw the cigarette butt down, So I just get out and I'm zooming in.
Speaker 3: It's still smoldering. I know I got the piece. I get a pin, I put it in there, and now I have his DNA.
Speaker 4: Well it wasn't him, but that's that's called a surreptitious sample. So you can do that if they had a suspect in this particular case, and there wasn't. There wasn't enough probable cause to get the warrant. That's one way they could do it.
Speaker 1: I mean it leads me to think, and I don't want to armchair quarterback, but like with the unhoused population that kind of lives in that area of Piedmont Park, that maybe there'd be lots of opportunities to do that type of collection.
Speaker 3: I would think. So if they had a suspect.
Speaker 4: I believe if the police had a suspect, if it was me and I had a very strong suspect in this case, I would bring them in. I would, you know, find a way to say, look, I need to talk to you. Come into my office and try to find just some evidence through that testimony, through that statement or interrogation that brings me closer to believing. And many times through that investigation I may develop or I'm sorry, through that interrogation, I may develop enough probable cause at that moment to now say you are detained and then get a warrant and swab them.
Speaker 3: So that's one way to do it. That's what I would do. I would try that first.
Speaker 4: If that didn't work, then I would go into surveillance mode and try to see where they go, eat, what they discard, some type of article, that they discard that may have potential DNA on it, and even your hands, you know, epithelial cells from your skins are left. I wear glasses. Like if you take the I see Melissa, you wear glasses, well, you both wear glasses.
Speaker 3: If you take the piece of glass the frame that goes around your ear and you swab that, there's going to be a bunch of DNA skin cells there.
Speaker 4: So there's many ways to do that. But I don't really think they have a suspect identified. I think if they did, they would have interviewed him by now. If they if they had a potential suspect in the interviewed and they may have already eliminated that person. But I think if they had a crime suspect in this case, he would have been arrested by now. Let me let me correct myself, he or she would have been arrested because you know, we're so we're so quick to assume it's a man. It may very well not be. It could be a woman.
Speaker 2: As far as you know, not having a suspect, it seems it's interesting to me because I feel like, you know, in a lot of the kind of crimes, someone ends up talking someone ends up the way.
Speaker 3: If it was among the.
Speaker 2: Houseless population within that community, I would think that someone within that population would know and maybe say something. But then again, I'm also like, is there like a little bit of a protection there, like we're looking out for each other, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, let's dissect this a little bit. Let's let's let's look at.
Speaker 4: The you know, the crime itself. So unfortunately, Katie was stabbed over fifty times, right, I mean it was, it was brutal, and that amount of that amount of wounds on a body, there's gonna be a tremendous amount of blood.
Speaker 3: That transfers to the person that's doing it.
Speaker 4: I've had cases like this where victims were stabbed multiple times and blood.
Speaker 3: Is everywhere where the perpetrator went to the bathroom, cleaned up, and changed clothes.
Speaker 4: So, if this was a homeless person or any you know, whoever, the suspect is at some point when they leave the scene.
Speaker 3: They have to be covered in blood.
Speaker 4: So if they now encounter someone else, that's going to be extremely noticeable.
Speaker 3: So if it's a.
Speaker 4: Homeless person and they're in an encampment, is there a possibility that in Piedmont Park it was a homeless person and they went to.
Speaker 3: You know, in the streets. They call it the cut, their cut where they where they sleep right, their little area could be anywhere near a tree or you know, shrubbery wherever they lay their blankets down.
Speaker 4: And they made it there unseen by anyone. That's very possible. And they had to change to clothes. I know the park was searched vigorously multiple times. Could it have been missed? Maybe that's a possibility. If it's not a homeless person. And now they have to get from point A crime scene to point B wherever they are to recover or continue their life. There has to be something that's going to transfer. If they're walking, probably not, but if they get into a vehicle or a bicycle, there's going to be a transfer of blood. And now you have the potential of so many people seeing you. Now, it was nighttime, it was July, so people weren't really wearing a lot of outer clothing.
Speaker 3: So I would imagine somebody would have said, wow, this guy's what is all that stuff on him or her?
Speaker 4: So these are just you know, I'm just giving you like a hypothesis of possibilities, Like I don't know, I don't know the answer to this.
Speaker 3: But the fact is that the person.
Speaker 4: Had to get from the crime scene somewhere and did they encounter somebody. Is there somebody out there that knows what happened, that saw them and just hasn't come forward. Maybe, but I think those are the types of things that you know, investigators looking at. So one of the things that happened after I retired in this case happened I was contacted by the Atlanta Police Department, myself and my partner, David Quinn from Homicide to come back and consult on the case. So I had the opportunity to come back and meet with the lead detective, who was fairly new, but I can say extremely bright, extremely skilled, extremely analytical, and.
Speaker 3: We sat down and we went through everything.
Speaker 4: Now I can't share with you or your listeners some of the information I would share with me because it's still sensitive and it's still an open investigation.
Speaker 3: But I can tell you that it wasn't just this lead investigator.
Speaker 4: It was a team of people, and the team was the other detectives that I worked with. I was part of a small unit within Homicide called the Complex Cold Case Squad. So what we were tasked with was investigating just what it sounds like, complex cases, multiple murders, multiple robberies that lead to a murder or sexual assault. And so we were the skilled of the skilled detectives within homicide. Those detectives were assisting this lead investigator. These are people I worked with side by side, some of them I've trained, and very competent, very capable, and I can say that they left no stone unturned. I wish I could share with you some of the details. I just can't, which left me scratching my head, to be quite honest with you, some of the questions I was asking.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, did you do that?
Speaker 4: And I think outside of the box all of my cases, you know, like if you tell me if you're a suspect, and you tell me, yeah, well you know I didn't do it, and I can.
Speaker 3: Prove it to you because it was a clear sky on the night and the spaceship dropped me off at the West End Mall. Now is that possible? No?
Speaker 4: Probably not. But you know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna check the National Weather Service at least to see what the skies were that night. Right, He said they were clear skies. Okay, that jibs now.
Speaker 3: Is that a plausible alibi?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. That's how we think outside the box. So did these detectives so they really were sufficient in in my opinion, on everything they did. Some of the things I wish I could talk to you about they were I would say, thoroughly vetted. Katie's partner was thoroughly vetted.
Speaker 1: We were curious about that because I mean, to me, it's she loved the dog, she loved her partner, like it's so.
Speaker 2: And I think that would be good for you to reiterate vents is that. I know a lot of people speculate about that sort of thing. And you know, what, what does it mean to be cleared by the police?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what doesn't that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Also share a little bit more about that of the reasons why Emma is not you know at the forefront.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, Emma. I listened to the nine one one call that Emma made. And one of the things that we do is we evaluate what I do. I try to evaluate the affect of that person. You know, how does this sound like?
Speaker 4: You know, I have never personally experienced, you know, walking up on a tragic crime of someone that I know. So I don't know what my emotional response would be. I would probably be a mess. But I listened to the nine one one call and she's extremely emotional, so I.
Speaker 3: Had to consider that. Okay, could you be a good actor? Yeah?
Speaker 4: To your question, what, how do you really rule somebody out completely?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: There's a lot of ways, like if you are actually if you to actually clear someone out, whether they actually did the crime. One of the best ways is they're somewhere else and it's verified through other people that were with them, perhaps are on video somewhere else at the time the crime happened.
Speaker 3: That's sufficient. You are certainly ruled out.
Speaker 4: Phone records can help self, tower locations can help.
Speaker 3: But really the only.
Speaker 4: Way, because you know, you have to consider, you know, if you didn't commit the crime, is there a possibility that you are complicit in the crime. So that's where it gets a little murky. How do you really clear someone out as a suspect one? Did they actually do it? You can certainly do that sufficiently. Did they have something to do with it? Was there a conspirac see to commit this? Did they pay for it to happen? All those questions you know those things. You may never really understand how that plays out. The really the best way to really rule out all other suspects is you find the right one. So once we find the right person like that, scientifically conclusively, we know they did it. Now of course everybody's ruled out. I'm going to go back to the Nancy Guthrie case. So you know, I've been on Court TV many times talking about this, given comments on the case. The sheriff of the county there in Arizona recently came out and said that he has cleared the family as suspects. I think that was, you know, I don't believe the family has anything to do with it, But to make a statement like that, I think was, you know, premature, and again, you don't really know how deep that goes. So with with Katie's case, I don't really know how deep this goes. Now, I have my my own theories, I have my own ideas. I'm going to give you an example. I had a cold case from nineteen ninety four. Before I go into that, I want to just go back to Katie's crime scene, the viciousness of it, the amount of this, where the wounds were located, in her face, in her private parts, and then what we believe to be some initials that may have been carved on our body. Considering all that, now, think about the person who committed that crime and what their motive was. Now, in homicide cases in Georgia, for a successful prosecution, you don't have to prove motive, but as an investigator, motive is very important because many times, if I can.
Speaker 3: Figure out the motive right of that's the why it happened, it can many times lead me to the who it happened.
Speaker 4: In retrospect, we could always look back once we figure out who the person is and then find out, oh, it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Of why they did that. Back to this cold case.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety four, a young young lady named Valerie Peyton was brutally murdered here in Atlanta. I reopened this case. Her tragic murder was similar to Katie's. Ironically, when I saw the news on this case Katie's case, the first thing I did was I went to the Georgia Department of Corrections to see if the person who I put in jail for the murder of Valerie Peyton in nineteen ninety four somehow was released because He was my.
Speaker 3: First go to. If this guy got out, he probably did it.
Speaker 4: In nineteen ninety four, Valerie Peyton was found stabbed to death near railroad tracks, not far from Kirkwood. I know Kirkwood is something you're familiar with, and this, this is how crazy. If you look at the comparisons of these two cases. Valerie Peyton was found stabbed over fifty times. On her face was carved the letter V would look like a V. Many of the wounds were post mortem, just like Katie's.
Speaker 3: Right. The heart's not pumping.
Speaker 4: There's not a lot of blood around the wound, so we could tell what's you know, perry mortem that's at her near the time of death, you know, pre death and then post mortem.
Speaker 3: This perpetrator in the suspect, I.
Speaker 4: Can name him. He's been convicted and he's in jail. His name is Michael Harvey. After killing her, let me go back to the wounds. Not only did he stab her over fifty times, he carved her body post mortem to include her genital area, much like some of the wounds that we.
Speaker 3: Occurred with Katie.
Speaker 4: He then left a note on her chest and it was written on the back of a photograph of her son and the note read I'm back Atlanta, mister X. Now this was a cold case. This case went cold. They never identified this suspect. And what listeners should understand with this particular case, earlier in the late eighties, there was a rash of prostitutes that were coming up murdered in Atlanta, so they thought it was one person committing multiple crimes in essence, a serial killer. They created a task force back in the late eighties, and they couldn't really put it all together. And the way I cracked this case was we retested the rape kit with modern technology. Meanwhile, Michael Harvey, as I'd explained before, had went to prison, he was swabbed, he's in codis and once I put the new sample in, we got a match. Now if you examine a forensic examination. Now we're twenty twenty looking back. When I look at Michael Harvey's history, he had multiple rapes. One particular victim, he took the photographs of her children. And remember on Valary Payton he wrote rot on the back of a photo of her child. So all of these patterns start to emerge, So I can start to see the psychosis that existed at the time. Now, one of the things that he I said in his interrogation was chilling. So I asked him, I said, do you recall all of the prostitutes that were being murdered around the eighties. He goes, I remember that, And I said, what did you leave the note? And his answer was.
Speaker 3: To throw the cops off.
Speaker 4: I wanted him to think that it was part of everything else. But like Katie's case, he took time to sit there and carve.
Speaker 3: Her body to stab her.
Speaker 4: He took an enormous amount of time. He's not concerned with someone seeing him.
Speaker 3: Just like this perpetrator in Katie's.
Speaker 4: Case, time is going by opportunity for someone to see him be caught, it's irrelevant.
Speaker 3: So he's driven.
Speaker 4: He's driven by the psychosis in his motivation because he had some mental illness. So that's one consideration when I compare that case to Katie's case, that I have to think if someone wanted revenge against Kate and they just wanted her dead, that's.
Speaker 3: A really quick thing to do. You can do that rather quickly.
Speaker 4: If Bowie attacked first, and they killed Bowie and then they stabbed Katie, you know, one, two, three of those first kniphones could have been the fatal blow. And now mission accomplished. She's incapacitated.
Speaker 3: I'm done.
Speaker 4: I've accomplished what I came here to do. To kill her, that's not.
Speaker 3: The case here. This person sat there and he took their time.
Speaker 4: To inflict the most amount of damage that they possibly could and literally try to eviscerate her. That speaks rage. Now, what's the motive behind that? I don't know if it's revenge. It doesn't seem like that. It seems like someone was and I say revenge in the sense there's the consequence of getting caught and taking more time to fulfill that rage and revenge.
Speaker 3: I think a sane person would realize that I've got to get out of here. Yeah, that's why I tended right, That's why I tend.
Speaker 4: To think that whoever this perpetrator is, if they have some other external factors, some mental illness, that irrespective of being caught, they were so wrapped up in the motive that didn't care. And I'll take you back to I think it was last August Charlotte, North Carolina, the young Ukrainian girl on the bus in front of everyone and cameras and every passenger. This man, this monster just pulls out a knife and just starts stabbing her in the neck. So he's not worried about the consequences. He's not worried about getting caught, right, He's worried. His motivation is to do to kill her, to harm her, irrespective of what's going to happen next. So there's some type of psychosis going on there.
Speaker 1: So it's like that motivation trumps you're saying getting caught, like, I don't care. I need to do this so bad that I don't care.
Speaker 4: Correct, you're caught up, caught up, you can't focus on anything else.
Speaker 1: But it's like even if they have the opportunity to kill the dog, Like to me, it's like if I'm walking my dog in Piedmont Park and someone approaches the dog and it's my dog, and my dog's going crazy. At this point, I'm screaming, like it's like, how did no one hear her at the entrance of Piedmont Park. There's tons of people out on a hot night like that in July.
Speaker 3: Unless he attacked her first, And that's that's my theory. My theory is.
Speaker 4: Always been that he attacked Katie first. Incapacitated her. The dog is still going to do what a dog does, right, He's probably barking when he's approaching her. Perhaps he got Katie from behind, inflicted damage enough to make her go down, incapacitated her, and she is now incapacitated.
Speaker 3: He can then take care of the dog, especially if Bowie attacks, and then go back to Katie.
Speaker 4: And I think, in the sequence of events and me in my perspective, that makes more sense, that's more reasonable, and that's likely what happened.
Speaker 2: Do you know where her body was? From what I understand, Bowie's body was closer to the entrance. Hers was a little bit farther in on that Charles Allen entrance, But you know there's a paved area and then there's a little bit of like wooded area there that would provide a little bit more I guess protection if the killers where as to where they were carrying this out. I guess this is my question because I would imagine if it was like right there on in the open and the pavement where I'm envisioning that she was found, that it would just be like I mean, there's lights and everything. It would be so much easier to be found, but maybe if it was over in that wooded area, it's not quite as noticeable. But also if we're speaking to a psychosas state as someone even thinking about any of that stuff, you.
Speaker 3: Know, good question. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think, considering that person's state of mind, I don't think they planned all that out.
Speaker 3: To where I got to get her by the bushes. That's stark here.
Speaker 4: I think the attack happened close to where her body was found. I think there's evidence that suggests, you know, this crime scene was moving a little bit. You know, as far as Bowie goes, if I follow my theory, the sequence of events where he attacks Katie first, Katie then goes down, Bowie attacks, He then attacks Bowie and dogs.
Speaker 3: You know, if Bowie knows.
Speaker 4: He's injured and he's hurting, and he's completely you know, dogs run, it doesn't surprise me that Bowie was found somewhere else because he's now injured, he's hurting, and he doesn't. You know, dogs sometimes, as we know, they go off to die, you know.
Speaker 3: Older dogs. You know the pet. You know, he let him out to use the bathroom.
Speaker 4: He never came back, and they find him in the woods because they know something's about to happen, and that very well may be the case with Bowie.
Speaker 3: I really don't know.
Speaker 4: Exactly as far as the perpetrators. You know, his state of mind of what he was thinking about planning this. Now, again, if Katie was targeted, and I say targeted to me, it's Katie is.
Speaker 3: My target, not a random person.
Speaker 4: All of these things have to line up, like all the stars will start lining up. Because they would have had to surveil her house, they would have had to known exactly when she was going to take.
Speaker 3: The dog out.
Speaker 4: They would have had to sit there. You know, I'll take you back to when I was trying to get that sample of DNA from this guy. Took me six days to do this. I had no idea when he was going to leave his house. And I'm the cops, right so I know his patter, I know I know I know when.
Speaker 3: He takes his garbage out. You know, I know his light bill, I know what he ate for breakfast yesterday. I know all this stuff. I have more information in an average person.
Speaker 4: It took me six days to follow him, So I don't believe that's reasonable that somebody was actually targeting Katie. Like I want her, and I'm going to sit out here to who knows when she's to.
Speaker 3: Take the dog out? Oh there she goes, right, But how long do you have to sit out there? Right? Five hours?
Speaker 4: Maybe the dog, you know, doesn't need to go out tonight. But nevertheless, there's nobody following Katie through the crosswalk. As we see the video of her crossing the crosswalk with Bowie, there's nobody behind her that we can see in the video. So I think it's a crime of opportunity. I believe it's more random that is anything else, and that lends to trying to figure out what.
Speaker 3: The motive is.
Speaker 4: Me as an investigator, I would really start to try to figure out what.
Speaker 3: The motive is.
Speaker 4: One thing that we have in law enforcement is called by CAP is a system where it's a national database of crimes that may be similar. So, as an example, Katie's crime is now in YCAP. So let's just say a detective in you know, Port Smith, Iowa.
Speaker 3: I just made that up.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if that's a city, but let's just say there's a Port Smith, Iowa that all of a sudden, two years after Katie's murder, has a woman found stabbed to death in similar fashion as Katie. They can check ViCAP to see if any cases fit a similar pattern, and now we may see a pattern emerge of the same person. What was not in VISCAP before Katie's murder was something like Katie's murder, so nothing matched that. So imagine if this was a serial killer who has a compulsion to do this. It doesn't seem to have happened before, and it doesn't seem to have happened afterwards.
Speaker 3: It seems more isolated. Why, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seemed like Valeries a little, but you're saying not enough to meet the criteria VISCAP.
Speaker 4: So Valerie's case wasn't in ViCAP because I solved it, right, So ViCAP is more for unsolved cases. But also, well, I'm saying also soft cases too. So Valerie's case, although it wasn't put into CAP, was solved through DNA. So right now I'm looking for patterns. I'm looking for child if it's a child abduction, what other child abductions are going on? Serial rapists are rampant, like, there's many in this country that happened, So you start to see a pattern in retrospect that can go back and look at valorious case and say, I see the pattern he committed three other rapes prior to that. There's similarities in how he killed these my victim and how he tried to kill some of the other rape victims, like choking them. So in retrospect we can see that, But there hasn't been another case that we know of anywhere in the country that's similar to Katie since it happened or even before.
Speaker 2: That kind of leads me to a question that I've had as far as the similarities, because I feel like it is kind of similar to the Idaho for where the brutality of it, the overkill with one of the victims, they did have a carving in their leg. I think the male victim did. I'm sure, you know, all the experts in the world have probably ruled all that out, but it is kind of like interesting to me that to me there seems to be similarities. But on top of that, you know, serial killers are not like that.
Speaker 1: Prevalent anymore, you know.
Speaker 2: I feel like with the advancements in DNA and investigation techniques, it's like, you know, there's not like a BTK situation happening.
Speaker 3: You know anymore.
Speaker 2: It's like they're solving these things pretty quickly before it gets down the line of years and years and years of people committing crimes. Just I mean, maybe you have a different take on that.
Speaker 3: Well, I think what happens is we as the public, because I'm a civilian, know, we're consumed with what we think serial killers are. We see TV.
Speaker 4: Dramas and they're so over dramatized where there's some nefarious, satanic sexual component that's driving.
Speaker 3: The serial killer.
Speaker 4: Those do exist, they have existed, But what a lot of people don't realize is that there are a lot of serial killers.
Speaker 3: That don't have those same components.
Speaker 4: In my career, most detectives go their entire career and never have one serial killer.
Speaker 3: I've had four. Well you've never heard of four serial killers in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: You've never heard of And the motivations exactly there you go, Right, That's what I'm saying. Right, But see, your reaction is exactly what I would expect because am I safe.
Speaker 3: Well, those serial killers.
Speaker 4: In their victims were confined to a small ecosystem, right, It wasn't like they're just going out to rape women and kill them. We would hear about that nationally, right, there's a rapist killer on the loose. That's not what these cases were. These were one happened to be a man, a man.
Speaker 3: Who is gay, who was killing his customers.
Speaker 4: He was a male prostitute, and he was a street male prostitute where they would just drive up and pick him up, and his motivation was to take money in their car and take things of value from them. And I got involved where this particular person killed my victim in Atlanta, Mark Shaler, I think it was in two thousand and four, who lived in midtown, And from there I was able to branch out and find these other cases. One was into cab another one was in another jurisdiction, and we put them all together. So we all worked as a team, but didn't make national news because that motivation was a little different. I had another one who was killing women. One he killed a woman that he dated, then he killed a woman that he had a romantic interest in, and then he killed another woman because he wanted to burglarize her home. So different motivations, but in all respect his respects.
Speaker 3: He still serial killer.
Speaker 4: So this particular case again, let's examine this. Let's fast forward into the future. Let's just say we now know who the person is. Now it's easy to go back and see the patterns. There's going to be patterns that exist. Even though we don't see another woman that was mutilated like Katie was, we may see where he attacked somebody or presented a knife, you know, get away from me, I'm gonna kill you. So now the knife may be the thing. One of the things with my case that I use Valerie Peyton, my victim from nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 3: She was stabbed, strangled, stabbed, and carved with a knife.
Speaker 4: Many of his other interactions where he had conflict with people, he would present a knife. So there's a pattern that starts to emerge. If we were to fast forward and now know who this suspect is, we I'm certain that we would go back and.
Speaker 3: See where it all fits together.
Speaker 4: There may be other victims that were stabbed that weren't killed and like, yeah, you know, he jumped out at me and me on the leg and I ran away unidentified. Right, let's just say this woman is like I never knew who this guy was. He just jumped out of the bushes.
Speaker 3: And got away.
Speaker 4: But now we can piece those things together. Right, it's not a murder, it's just an aggravated assault. How do those two things in or connect. We don't know yet because we don't know who it is.
Speaker 1: Does that surprise you that nothing turned up for Katie.
Speaker 3: A little bit?
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not trying to be critical, and I'm not of the police, because you know, again, I know this team and I know they.
Speaker 3: Did a great job.
Speaker 4: What surprises me is that because Pimont Park is so centrally located. Now, of course, you know, for your listeners that don't know Pimont Park, it's one hundred and eighty one hundred and ninety acres.
Speaker 3: It's huge.
Speaker 4: It's our central Park. It's an equivalent of New York Central Park for Atlanta. Yeah, and it's big in respect to our city.
Speaker 3: It's a big park. It's a big area.
Speaker 4: A lot of people frequent that park. It's July, the weather's nice, people are out, the.
Speaker 3: Bars are open, the bars are open.
Speaker 4: So again I go back to not so much seeing when it happened, but seeing after it happened, like where did this person go? Did they you know, did they have a car? I don't think so. I think this is someone who's local. I think it could be someone who's transient that may have been sleeping in the park and it's a really easy place to lay low for a while. Think about it, like one hundred and eighty acres that's really all green space.
Speaker 3: Imagine all the areas that you could hide it. Could they have missed them? Absolutely? So I'm surprised though that if it is.
Speaker 4: An unhoused person, I'm surprised that the unhoused people that have knowledge wouldn't come forward. One of the serial killer cases that I work with my partner was someone killing homeless people. And believe it or not, like God blessed the homeless because they're not all mentally ill, they're not all drug addicted.
Speaker 3: There's people out there that are just really good people, just.
Speaker 4: Down on a lucky interviewing homeless folks and they were like, man, you know, I saw they were given information. It wasn't the right information, but they were so willing to help, right, They were so willing to help because they they you know, they don't want to see anyone killed.
Speaker 3: So it surprises me that if it.
Speaker 4: Wasn't unhoused or homeless person, that no one in that community has information has come forward.
Speaker 2: One thing I was looking at was some stats on how many officers are employed by the Atlanta Police Department, and what I was seeing was that it's declined a lot over the years. Is this also kind of like the factor of just not having enough manpower to put towards this.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. You know, we've been teetering around two thousand. I think that's been the goal, and that's pretty much in line with our population. I think that's sufficient. I think somewhere when I would retire, we were around seventeen fifty to eighteen hundred. The homicide unit has always been adequately staffed, so to speak. And one of the things that we do is if we need people to go out and do a mass canvas, you know, in the case of this magnitude, we drop what we're doing. We get people from other units, we get recruits that are in school out there.
Speaker 3: And I know they did that with this case.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that's a factor in why this case hasn't been solved yet. I think it has more to do with just I hate to say it, but the perfect storm. Like you know, in most crimes, most criminals get caught when they overplan a crime. Many times criminals get away with crime that is spur of the moment that doesn't take a lot of planning.
Speaker 3: It's like instant rage or whatever, and they just slip into the darkness and they get away.
Speaker 4: Right, So if this thing was more planned, we would, let's just say, you know, it was something someone close to Katie, there would be some type of evidence, digital evidence, forensic evidence, something tying back to that.
Speaker 3: And we don't see that. So I certainly believe this is a stranger.
Speaker 1: Two questions just this. I want to know if this is too much to ask the homicide department. But like I kept thinking, why wouldn't they just take every single cell phone pay within a half a mile of the body at that between one and two am and just every single one of them trace the phone? Like is that way too hard to do? Am I oversimplifying it?
Speaker 3: So the way that works is is they did that.
Speaker 4: So they pulled all the cell towers, right, and what happens is all the towers, like from Verizon to Mobile, all the towers that are surrounding the park. Everyone that lives in the park or lives near the park, frequents the park, The businesses patrons of bars. The minute they get alike on a Facebook page, the minute they get any activity through an app on their phone, it's connecting to that tower.
Speaker 3: So when you.
Speaker 4: Dump the tower, what that does is gives you all the phone numbers during the period of time that you specify that are stored on that tower.
Speaker 3: And the way that works is reversed.
Speaker 4: It's insurmountable of you know, to think that you could go through every single phone.
Speaker 3: Number, it would take forever and then right years.
Speaker 4: The way it works is once you identify a suspect if they had a phone, and then you say, hey, you know, were you at Petmont Park?
Speaker 3: Were you near Petmont Park?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I was thirty miles away. I was in Flowery Branch, Georgia, up north. No I wasn't there. So if you're in Flowery Branch, Georgia, there's no way that your phone could ping at a tower near Petmont Park. And when they say no, and now we know what phone number they had at the time we find it on the tower, we know they're lying.
Speaker 3: So that's really how that works. When you pull a.
Speaker 4: Tower, thousands and thousands of phone numbers are on there, it could be someone just driving by, and.
Speaker 1: Then the cameras that were surrounding not we know the cameras in the park weren't working, But what about every single face that was walking on the outside. I mean, the bars have cameras. There was obviously the crosswalk, there wasn't anything there. But I only remember three people that they really looked at that they didn't know who they were. When was a jogger, One was a group of women on like a girl's night out, and then there was a third one. But certainly there were more. I'm sure that they vetted. But would that be like we're going to take every single face that showed up on camera and find them.
Speaker 4: Well, I know they pulled all available video from you know, they went house to house looking for doorbell cam video businesses. You know they had video cameras. And again when you're looking at that, I'll use your example. The people that you described, the videos that we've scene, they identified the jogger.
Speaker 3: So they did interview that person. He was interviewed.
Speaker 4: He was jogging and you can see when you look at that video, he's got a white shirt on, he doesn't have blood.
Speaker 3: On him, he's got a headlamp on he's jogging.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there's three people walking casually, having casual conversations. Did three people commit this crime? If one of them did and then rejoined his group, he's going to.
Speaker 3: Be covered in blood. So you have to vet all that information as you're looking for that video. If there was a.
Speaker 4: Camera that had footage of someone acting suspicious, you know, very broad turned, but walking around looking around, looking behind them, looking suspicious, going into the bushes, coming back out, you know, looking around like he's looking for somebody, that would be somebody that I would focus on. I don't know that that happened. If that, if that was captured on the video, I'm sure they would.
Speaker 3: Have vetted that out and trying to They would have put that video.
Speaker 4: We would have seen that by now, so yeah, they would have put that on the news and say if you know who this person is, he's a person of interest, you know, please identify him and call us.
Speaker 3: So I don't believe that that's the case.
Speaker 1: That makes me feel better. The other only other thing I was curious about is they did open the park like the next day. Basically the park was back open, and I was always curious like that seemed crazy to me. But then would they ever have done that strategically thinking the killer will come back and we're going to open the park and see who shows up.
Speaker 4: Or is that they could have And I think one of the things that I think they did and I certainly would have done, is people have patterns. There are people who may take walks every day around the same time.
Speaker 3: So I would be interested to see what does the park look like, you know, the next night, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ask people like, hey, you know, I noticed you know, we're investigating this case.
Speaker 3: You know, do you live around here? Yeah, I live over here. Do you you know, do you frequent the park? Yeah? Usually I take my walks.
Speaker 4: Every night around nine o'clock. Oh great, you might have, you know, a few minutes of your time. Then you start asking that person questions when you take walks. Let's go back two weeks ago. Have you ever seen anybody that looked suspicious?
Speaker 3: Do you ever see.
Speaker 4: Anybody that you know approached you felt uncomfortable with? That's how you start, you know. Yeah, I'm of the opinion if you shake a tree hard enough, something is going to fall out of it, something right branch and leave something. And I think they did that so I don't. It doesn't surprise me that they open the park back up, and I believe that's the reason why got it.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Actually, thence you've been so helpful. Thank you for spending so much time with us.
Speaker 4: No, it's my pleasure. And you know, and this is such a tragic case. Like I, I really I'm interested in seeing this thing solved. I don't have access to what's going on right now. I wish I did to give you a little more information, but I can tell you that again, like I know, they're doing the best they can u in some cases, unfortunately, time is our enemy.
Speaker 3: We just have to wait, right And I hate to say, I.
Speaker 4: Don't want anything to happen to anybody else. But whoever this person is, they they may have committed another crime, maybe not to the level of homicide, but I think there's somebody out there. They just don't know that that person that may have assaulted them or approached them is the killer. So whoever listens, you know, if it's anybody that listens to this podcast that it's from Atlanta that knows about this case. There's no information that's trivial. There's no information that's insignificant. If you have just a crazy thought process idea, call crime stoppers, you know, let them know. I've had some crazy tips come in.
Speaker 3: Like when I read it, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like what And then I dug deeper and I'm like, damn, this is this got meat on the bone.
Speaker 3: There's something here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, because that guy, I'm sure somebody at some point they have no idea they saw him, but they saw him. I mean, you don't. You can't just be at Piedmont Park at you know, and never be spotted by anyone.
Speaker 4: Totally agree, he didn't disappear in the thin air, where he went and who he saw on the way there, those are the people that I think the police need to find.
Speaker 1: Agreed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just a reminder to our listeners. We do have the crime Stoppers information crime Stoppers ATL listed in our show notes, so if you need a quick link as to how to get there, and again it's anonymous, and there's a reward too in this case, so it's an incentive there you go, right, But yeah, thank you so much Vince for taking the time to chat with us. You're very smart in this field. I've learned a lot, so thank you. So much for sharing your time with us.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. You guys continue doing great things. Love it, Thank you, Thank you vents. Bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 1: Sources for this episode could be found in our show notes, and just a reminder, these are opinions and speculations surrounding this case and in no way an assumption or accusation of guilt towards any specific person.