Speaker 1: We're back on the drive with ESPNS Dave mcmanimon joining us for today's NBA Daily Assist Eastern Conference Finals Game one. Tonight's world's most famous arena, Midtown Manhattan for Penn Plaza Nicks Pacers, which brings up a lot of a lot of emotion, a lot of memories.
Speaker 2: The West got going last night.
Speaker 1: Will bring a little lightness to what's other otherwise been a very heavy show with some of the local news around here. Dave mcminnimon is our guest. According to the Hoop Collective, Dave is the slowest of the NBA riders to file his pieces at ESPN dot com. Dave, do you care to confirm or deny?
Speaker 3: Wow, I just want to know who dropped that line on me. It will depend on my answer.
Speaker 1: It was McMahon and then and then cooperated by win Horse and Bontemps, that you by far the slowest to file your pieces.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 3: I may just have more of an art and a craft, you know, they might be up in burgers and I'm putting together a meal for my readers. So that would be my response to that. So McMahon left buy what seven or eight minutes prior to me yesterday, and he's taken a victory lap for that. Okay, good for you too.
Speaker 2: So the real question is in general, who is the slowest?
Speaker 3: I mean, it might be true, that might be true on the slowest. Yeah, you know. I also think I have more of a vocabulary rolodex in my mind to flip through than they do.
Speaker 2: So I love it. Where do we Where do we find you? On this fine Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Dave Oklahoma City, digesting what was a fun first half and a avalanche of a thunder wing in the second half, and wondering what type of series we're going to get. Certainly, the Wolves were pretty confident group today at practice, but that's underteam. It's not like they played their best either. Shay Gillis yells and Shay Gilders I was inner starts off in Game two for thirteen. They still win by twenty six points, So we'll see how this series goes.
Speaker 1: Acknowledging that I do not live in the center of Milan, I will ask you what does one do on his day off?
Speaker 2: In Oklahoma City?
Speaker 3: Worked? And then actually McMahon and I found a little pickup game with some of the OKC writers. So's play a little hoops and then do a little slow writing after I'm done with you, and then I watch the next game.
Speaker 1: You don't sound to be too thrilled to be in Oklahoma City? Am I reading this directly?
Speaker 3: That's okay, It's okay. It's a bit of a hike to get to, not a Delta direct type of city, and so you know, that makes it a little bit more cumbersome. But it is a great atmosphere for the games, and I'm here for the games. So yeah, no, no real complaints there.
Speaker 2: Would you rather be an Okay See or salt Lake?
Speaker 3: Well, a direct and a lot closer. So I'll go salt Lake all day.
Speaker 1: Outside of the route, Dave, outside of just your flights, it's not bad living around here, man, outside of just your delta mind.
Speaker 3: I enjoy where I stay. You know, actually, there's I've expanded my palette. There's a few marriottes. I'll stay in downtown salt Lake now, and I do enjoy the walk to the arena and back, and you know some of the spots I've been to over the years. So I enjoy salt Lake in the city. No shade being thrown by me right now.
Speaker 2: The best you can do.
Speaker 1: I enjoy the walk to the freaking arena, he says, two blocks from my marria. You know what, challenge Dave, next time you're here. I don't know when that will be. Hit me up and I'm going to show you the city. Okay, there are plenty of things about Salt Lake you need to experience it. Clearly you have and if your best part is the two block walk to the arena.
Speaker 3: Down, I'm absolutely domb for that, because yeah, I'm trying to like think of I've been red Iguana of course, which a very you know, that was very good Mexican meal. I do do PF Changs a lot in Salt Lake City, which I'm not knocking Pfchangs, but I'm sure there are some better non chain restaurants that you guys have to offer. So yeah, I'll take you up on that.
Speaker 1: Did you just drop a PF Chang's on me? What are you going to Chili's before for lunch?
Speaker 3: It's on the route.
Speaker 1: Gosh, Day mcminimon's Salt Lake City fan because he gets PF Changs on his walk to the Delta Center. My goodness, Dave. All right, we can move on. So look, last night an example of something that we've all seen. Dude, I don't know that anybody left has that ceiling o case he hits when they hit that ceiling. Now, we know that the first half wasn't great, but when they really turn it on defensively, their defense was good in the first half because it always and then all the attention was more on the shot making in the second half. But Minnesota is a capable offensive basketball team with varied pieces. When Okac really dials in on defense and Shay is doing the Shay thing, their ceiling, Dave to me, is higher than anybody left, and honestly, I'm not sure it's close.
Speaker 2: Give me your thoughts.
Speaker 3: I agree with you on that assessment. I think the team and I've shared it with you before that I thought had the highest ceiling was the Celtics, but obviously they're out one and two. Before they go out, they got injured, So I give that title along with you to Okay. See, there was a video clip of a kind of a bird's eye angle of the action last night that I saw on some OKC blog, and it was tracking Alex Caruso fighting through screens and basically you can't run pick a roll when he's involved, because he fights through and gets over every screen. And so you have someone like that who is one of three or four wing defenders that they have like that, it makes it really hard to get any offense going. And then beyond that, not just a perimeter defense, they have really disciplined interior defense. Or Edwards was saying every time he got through a pick of roll scenario out on the perimeter, he turned the corner and he was looking at three or four people in the paint. He only had one shot attempt in the paint last night. And beyond that, you know, this is where I think there certainly is room for growth for the Wolves. They shot terribly five to fifteen from three hundred thirty percent on the shots that we track at ESPN as quote wide open looks. So you think that theoretically can come up a bit, right, But I think you look at the other side, you say, well, Shay Gillis at Vender didn't really have all that good of a game, and it mused with Jalen Williams and it wasn't like it was a light time game from Chad Holger either. So it's like, I don't know, I think it could be pretty tough for the Wolves to win here. That doesn't mean I think it's gonna be a short series, because certainly, you know, the Wolves have a pretty darn good home court advance a target center as well.
Speaker 1: So I'm a little bit conflicted on the foul stuff with Shay because I find it to be a bit of an art form when you're able to manipulate the game a little bit to draw fouls and get to the free throw line, especially in the postseason when free points like you know, like free throws and layups and dunks are such a premium. And he's developed this ability as a six', eight big body dude who has great handles and understands angles to really bait defenders into legitimate. Fouls and, yes they are the screenshots of nobody touching him and him going to the, line AND i understand. That but over the, years, man we can talk about the greatest of all, Time Michael jordan becoming a bit of a foul merchant.
Speaker 2: HIMSELF i know that's kind of a swear word these.
Speaker 1: Days so and, look there are moments where like When harden kind of kind of was able to develop his swing through.
Speaker 2: Stuff it felt like it was.
Speaker 1: CHEATING i hate it When Donna mitchell throws his head back without being touched and gets the. Call jokic has developed this thing where he hooks you under his armpit and then. Flails there are some things that are irritating and straight up. Cheating So i'm not really sure Where i'm at with The shay. Stuff part of me respects the, endeavor and then part of me wants the refs to call it in a way where you, know you don't necessarily reward guys that are trying to cheat the. Game but what's your take on this conversation Surrounding shay after last night with fourteen free?
Speaker 2: Throws, well he had.
Speaker 3: Eleven excuse, me he had seven free throws in the first five minutes of the game and the thunder had eleven while the wolveshad zero in the first. Quarter you, know, like is this? Really is that really a fair? Whistle he? Had it was fourteen for the, game which is not an absurd, Amount but when he's struggling to find his shot off of real field goal attempts and seemingly is only able to find a rhythm by getting to the foul on that consistently you're, LIKE i don't know a cal fair is this? Right and, obviously ever since you, know anecdotally About All Star break of last season of twenty three twenty, four the refs started to swallow the whistle a little, bit seemingly in response to the league seeing the public apathy towards some of these inflated box score, numbers you, know where it's one thirty one forty at the end of the game because both teams are shooting forty to fifty free throws and that's carried. Over it seemingly become intensified in the playoffs where it's kind of let these guys. Play and so if the majority of the players on the court are being officiated that, way and then you have one guy who is just that good at selling it who isn't quite ketting this same, WHISTLE i think it stands out a little bit. MORE i think he drew thirteen fouls last. Night one of them was reviewed and taken, away ends up with. Twelve you, KNOW i think you probably say half of them absolutely completely, legitimate and then half are judgment. Calls AND i don't, know, like if you're from The minnesota side of, things you want the judgment to go your, way and if you're with the okay see side of, things you say, no, certainly that's THE mvp of the. League he should be getting a good. Whistle SO i don't think it sullies his game to the point you can't enjoy watching. HIM i, actually you know now seen him play about ten times this, year and he is really really good to get into his thoughts and really really skilled at you, know that little snashback dribble that he has with fall out extended like that is one of the most insoftful moves into HIS. Nba so you tip your cap, There but you, know game, flow it was never as good as it is when there's less free.
Speaker 1: Throws speaking of SAID, mvp two part, question your thoughts ON sga receiving the award and do you have any insight as to why we were all waiting for weeks to get this.
Speaker 3: NEWS i was disappointed in the league for not announcing. IT i, mean how many times have we Had, well first of, all let's start with. This the, LEAGUE i think it was seventeen eighteen is when they started to revamp the awards process and they starting then would announce the finalists, Right so the only reason we knew that the finalists Included jokic And Shi Jos. Alexander obviously logically we knew, that but the only way we knew it empirically was because the league announced it back In. April so then if you're already giving the public the information and then the bracket works out so that you actually have two of the top three finalists playing one another in a playoff series with a trip to The Western conference finals for, them why would you not announce it during That AND i haven't heard an explanation for. IT i think in our sensitive society it was, probably you, know some politicking from maybe both, sides worried if the guy wasn't gonna win it and how it could affect the. Series but quite, frankly you, KNOW i think it will be much more compelling to watch that, thing you, know the night After shaye gets the award And Nicola jokus has something to say about it in the. Series that would have been great to. See so that's disappointing in terms Of shay winning. It it was a tough vote for, me BUT i did vote for. HIM i think The cooliochus is a better PLAYER i also believe that sixty eight wins is a. RARITY i, mean, obviously only seven teams have ever won sixty eight wins or more in the regular SEASON nba, history and that's proving your value.
Speaker 1: There SO i got to reward that you referenced the comp efidence Of minnesota during practice today and according TO i, believe it WAS Espn stats And info eleven of thirty nine on open. THREES i will say a lot of those open threes were pushed, Back LIKE i do Think Oklahoma city's defense just continues to be, really.
Speaker 2: Really difficult to.
Speaker 1: Crack but what sort of adjustments do you expect for them to try to make so they can attempt to go back home tied at one to.
Speaker 3: One, well interesting thing in a, moment and the end was last night said THAT i need to play off the ball more And i'll be the guy getting those cuts and shoot opportunities because they're going to continue to pack the. PAINT i Asked finch about that today and he actually backed it. Up he, said, well you, know we want to whether he has the ball in his hands or he's getting it from a, teammate we just want to create more movement and so you know whether that is a higher screen that they're setting to get him a chance to get downhill with the balls in his hands or. Quit, frankly if you're already conceding, that we're not going to have driblel pennantation To. Delane, anyway this is the best three point shooter in the league this year in terms of three point. Volume so, yeah, like let's just Have Mike conley take a couple of pro dribbles and kick out To ant versus the. Opposite you, Know, Conley Tante DiVincenzo nas, read all these, Guys NIKHIL i was Gonna. Walker none of them could make a shot last. Night so if you, say, hey what's the worst that could happen If ant takes fifteen, THREES i think there's probably some wisdom. There SO i think that's the one thing you're going to. See And Rudy gobert was putting it on, himself like saying he couldn't remember the last time he had two thousand in the first two, minutes and he felt like that compromised their defense a bit as. WELL i, mean the paint scoring disparity was egregious In game, one and that was a strength obviously of the Wol they beat The warriors by just completely owning the paint in that. Series AND i recognize as they hard Seeing Chet homern are a little bit different than you, Know Kevon looney and you know the other big sit the words who trapped me out. There BUT i do think that's something that they're gonna want to take advantage. Of so you, KNOW i, think, yeah look for a little bit more off ball action From edwards and you, Know Rudy gobert doing his jobs at the established past.
Speaker 1: RIBBLE i know you're younger THAN i, am but not by, much SO i can ask you this Favorite Nicks pacers playoff moment historically.
Speaker 2: SPEAKING.
Speaker 3: I eight points in nine. SECONDS i think what comes to mind? IMMEDIATELY i probably. That, honestly they're all kind of an amalgam to. ME i couldn't, say, well that was ninety, four and that was ninety, one and that was you, know ninety. Five BUT i think just the warm fifty of tone MEMORIES i have OF NBN Nbc sunday afternoon at The garden a, motorshod that sideline Potential hattime report had a, Storm PETER, vessi you, know breaking down the Latest Antonio daniels you know practice report that he. Has you, know those those battles were, great so anywhere from you, know say ninety to ninety, NINE a lot of great memories of those two teams playing.
Speaker 2: One another BEFORE i set you? Loose do you have a? Lien you know we were talking about this.
Speaker 1: EARLIER i listened to a bunch of different, pods including your guys run you down for no reason while you were catching, strays AND i watched a bunch of different. SHOWS i really feel like this is. SPLIT i don't know that there's a, consensus like everyone's on The knicks or The.
Speaker 2: Pacers do you have a? Lien as far as how you think this thing is going to?
Speaker 4: Go part of me feels like this is like one of those things where The pacers are completely getting overlooked because the story for The knicks and the history behind that franchise is so strong and for various, reasons.
Speaker 3: You, know not just, ratings but JUST i think you still the scene In New york after they clinched the conference, finals like that is that's, Awesome like that's what sports is that makes it so, compelling and to see that continue to grow from a conference finals to The files is SOMETHING i think a lot of us are rooting. FOR i Think nixon seven BECAUSE i think my heart is kind of with The knicks, there but my head says that The pacers are not an easy.
Speaker 1: Out all, Right, David now you got to get going because you have to file a story in seven, Hours so we'll set you loose so you can slow play your piece and appreciate the.
Speaker 2: Time man ENJOY. Okc, yeah, thanks that's talking so