Speaker 1: In twenty twenty two, a woman in Utah lost her husband suddenly, leaving her to try and find a way to explain that kind of loss to her three young sons. In the months that followed, she spoke openly about grief and the difficulty of helping her children try and understand what happened. About a year later, she went on to write a children's book centered around loss and grief, something she hoped would bring them comfort. But as investigators began to take a closer look at her husband's death, a very different story started to emerge, one that would turn a story about grief into a case of murder. This is the story of Corey Richins.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Following podcast material intended audience.
Speaker 3: Listener discretion, Happy birthday, Thank you, thank It was yesterday, But it was yesterday but pretty much today.
Speaker 1: You know, which is why this episode isn't getting posted like first thing today when it normally does. It's uh, yeah, just had some birthday celebrations that put work off a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't work yesterday. We're living our life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a good day.
Speaker 2: We did a lot of things.
Speaker 1: We ate some good food, drink some good drinks, and when we're driving range for some some golf stuff. It was fun watched.
Speaker 2: I think we probably watched it about four or five hours of hockey in the evening too.
Speaker 1: Yep, we did watch our local w n WHL team and our NHL team and yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Both lost, so that I guess. Wasn't the icing on the cake for the day, was it?
Speaker 1: No? Definitely not. And did you mean the icing joke because hockey icing?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Did you mean that? Pun?
Speaker 2: I meant like icing, No on the cake, but not the icing with the hockey.
Speaker 1: That's perfect. There's like a double entendre there. I was wondering if you meant that or no. Damn.
Speaker 2: I'd like to say I did, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, just okay, I'll ask you again, pretend that you did, and we'll go with that. Okay. Did you mean to do that joke with the icing?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. I figured that was a good one. Good, well done, well done. I five. Yeah. I got an interesting case today. It's a very recent one in fact, yes, very recent, and in the news the conclusion was only a couple of weeks ago. It's that recent.
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's one that's kind of been blowing up on the internet. And I would imagine so in the months to come, you're going to see a lot more people discussing this case because who there's some stuff there to unpack.
Speaker 2: It seems. So. I, honestly though, haven't really dove into it because I knew you were going to. Yeah, I am intrigued and I guess you could say excited to hear about it.
Speaker 1: Well you should be, because it's a good one. There's a special on the ABC twenty twenty you know that they covered it. Yeah, Unfortunately those are never available in Canada. However, someone out there posted it on YouTube, so I managed to watch it on YouTube perfect. Yeah, so I was super happy. So thank you to whoever that that soul was, who's probably gonna, you know, get a copyright infringement on their account very soon, but thank you you allowed me to watch it. I appreciate it. I should probably get a VPN specifically to change our area here soon so we can be like, hey, you know, we actually are in the States, let us watch this stuff.
Speaker 2: Is that illegal? Though?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I mean, like VPN covered just one thing and everything, but like we should actually change it up. So it's over to the States and see if we can. I don't know. People do it all the time, that's all I know.
Speaker 2: I think it might not be legal, but I'm okay, we.
Speaker 1: Will have to look into the legality of actually changing you know, we.
Speaker 2: Won't read doing that.
Speaker 1: Side note side We're definitely not going to do that. Don't do that. Don't do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's dive into okuess.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this case. So in the early hours of March fourth in twenty twenty two, while most people were still asleep, a call came into emergency services from a home in Commas, Utah. I think you might have said that weird, it's Commas. Anyways, it's in the USA, and it was just after three twenty am in the morning. On the other end of the line was a woman named Corey Richins. She sounded urgent and told the dispatcher that her husband wasn't breathing and that she just found him there in bed. She explained that she had fallen asleep in one of their children's room earlier that night see, one of their sons had been dealing with night terrors, and she said she stayed with him until she ended up drifting off herself. Then at some point in the early morning hours, she woke up and returned to their master bedroom, crawled back into bed, and when she did so, she reached over towards her husband and immediately knew something wasn't right. He wasn't just unresponsive. In fact, his skin felt cold to the touch. Now later she even described that moment as if she were putting her arm over a cement brick. There was no warmth, there was no movement. Now. During this nine to one one call, the dispatcher tried to guide her through CPR, but there was a bit of a delay. She seemed to panic and tried to deal with the situation in the in the sense of what everything was going on, and several minutes actually passed before compressions began, and the dispatcher soon counted out over the phone, keeping her in rhythm one two three four one two three four going through the compressions of CPR. As emergency responders made their way to the home, Corey was still on the phone trying to follow these instructions and trying to explain what she was seeing and what was happening. But all anyone knew at that moment was that thirty nine year old man was lying unresponsive in his bed and his wife was a wreck while trying to ask for help and save the situation.
Speaker 2: He's only thirty nine, that is young.
Speaker 1: Now, as emergency responders got to the scene and took over inside this bedroom of their home, they found Eric Richins, that's his name, lying in bed, exactly where Corey said he would be. But the moment made contact with him, it became clear this wasn't a typical medical emergency. His body, as Corey had said, was already stone cold. Now it's just not like it's slightly cool. I want to make that clear, cold in a way that suggests he had been gone for like some time. There was even stiffness in him, as rigamortis had clearly already begun to set in.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the CPR wasn't going to be doing anything.
Speaker 1: No, definitely, not officially. He's not dead, but he very much so was already. Yes, it was like the kind of physical state that he hadn't just stopped breathing, moments earlier. He'd stop breathing a long time ago. Still, though they moved quickly. CPR was taken over from Corey and they followed that standard life saving procedure. You know, you do the CPR even if it's a grim situation. Now, even if survival is unlikely. The thing is, you don't stop. But as the clock ticked away in the minutes past, the first responders were getting no response. There was no sign of recovery. There was nothing. And it's very important to note that first responders also look for something called mechanism of injury, which is it essentially means how their patient got injured or came into the state that they are in. For example, if there are lacerations or an indication of physical harm, did they get hit by a car, or they're empty bottles of pills next to them on the nightstand, potentially things that indicate what happened, so they can, you know, treat accordingly. However, in this case, there was no visible trauma. There was no immediate indication of what had caused this. There was no overturned furniture, no signs of a struggle, no drugs nearby, no nothing obvious in the room. That explained why a healthy thirty nine year old man wouldn't suddenly be unresponsive in his own bed in the middle of the night. Now, because of this, the possibility of a natural cause was considered. It must have been something sudden and internal, and even first responders mentioned a suspected aneurysm as there was some blood coming out of his mouth and nose as they began their CPR compressions. This would have explained the lack of external signs a sudden collapse maybe, and confusions around the situation, but even that didn't fully account for what they were seeing. Still, though, despite their efforts, despite their initial preliminary investigation for this mechanism of injury, Eric was officially pronounced dead at three point fifty eight. AM.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, he could have been in there alone for five or so hours.
Speaker 1: Really, it could have been a long while.
Speaker 2: Yees, So it makes sense. I guess that he could be that cold.
Speaker 1: I suppose. I don't know how sure.
Speaker 2: How quickly everything sets in, but well.
Speaker 1: It does set in relatively fast, and we don't know exactly how long he was sitting there for, but clearly it was an extended period. Now, before all of this happened. Eric Richards was just a man living his life like anybody else. He was born on May thirteenth, nineteen eighty two, and he was raised in Utah. He grew up around hard work, and his background wasn't flashy or complicated. Instead, it was steady, the kind of upbringing where responsibilities come early and they stick. Eric was also raised as a religious individual in a religious household, specifically within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, and at one point he spent time on a mission in Mexico, which left him fluent in Spanish and shaped a lot of how people later described him. All around. He was very disciplined. He was grounded, dependable, not someone who chased any sort of chaos or lived reckless. Now, this sort of character that he had did well for him as an adult. As soon as he built a stonemasonry business from the ground up, it did immediately well. I mean, it was physical work, it was constant work, and to top it all off, though he was good at it, he was a man who showed up, who handled what needed to be done. And that same steadiness carried into his personal life too, not just his career he was a husband and more importantly, a father to three young boys. People close to him described him as someone who took that role very seriously. He was involved and focused on providing a stable life for him and his family. But most importantly for this story, there's something else that stands out when you look at Eric and who he was, especially in the context of what would later happen to him. See, he had no history of drug use. There was no pattern of any sort of risky behavior at all, no indication that he was experimenting with substances or living in a way that would lead to a path like that. For all intents and purposes, he was living a life that was, as you might say, straight as an arrow. Now, Corey Richins was someone who seemed to have built a pretty full life too. She worked in real estate, specifically flipping houses. There were a lot of big properties that she dealt with, ones that had fast turnarounds, large dollar figures being thrown around, all that sort of thing, and she and Eric had been married for years at this point, raising their three young boys. By all accounts, it was a very busy, stable life, work, kids, projects, the kind of day to day routine most families do fall into Now, after Eric's death, that image only seemed to solidify around Corey. But in the beginning of their life together, life was a bit tougher, and neither of them were working the multi million dollar businesses that they would eventually look after. They instead had a bit more regular of jobs. And when Corey and Eric met, she was working as a cashier at home Depot and Eric came through the till line purchasing some supplies for his company that had just been in its infancy stage. Now, Eric wasn't someone who put himself out there very easily. It actually took a bit of encouraging from people around him to go back to Home Depot and talk to that pretty girl at the checkout till. But when he did, well, things took off from there and they moved quickly.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, that is just the cutest way ever of meetings, isn't it.
Speaker 1: It's adorable. Yes, So they connected, They started spending time together, and before long they were dating and building that life side by side. Eventually, they got married on June fifteenth, in twenty thirteen, in a backyard ceremony in Utah, and by that point they had already started their family. One of their sons had been born before the wedding, and over the next few years they would go on to have two more boys. They had their home, they had their three kids. Eric had his business that was growing significantly, and Corey now had her work that she started in real estate. Now, before they got married, Corey and Eric put up a prenuptial agreement, so on paper it was fairly straightforward. Both of them agreed that what they brought into the marriage and what they had built individually would remain separate. There wouldn't be any shared ownership of each other's income, property, or assets. This was extremely important, primarily for Eric because his company was taking off due to all that hard work that he had poured into it. Now there was one exception on paper, though, if either of them died while they were still married, the situation changed. So if Eric had passed away, his business and assets would transfer to Corey. The agreement essentially shifted from separation to full access under that one specific condition.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so if they had gotten a divorce or something, it would be much different than if one of.
Speaker 1: Them passed Yeah, exactly, So like that way, you can't just divorce me and take half my business that I've been building for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, prenups are so interesting to me.
Speaker 1: They are interesting and like it's honestly, it's mostly a formality. It's just a way to protect themselves, you know, in case something goes wrong with you know, relationships. Maybe this person might eventually leave me or who knows what. It's just a matter of protecting things and keeping it clean. It's very practical, and I understand some people not liking it, but when it comes to businesses, it keeps a lot of things clean.
Speaker 2: I get them, but I also don't get them. It seems like a touchy, kind of sticky subject.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're right. But either way, they had this prenup and for years that document just sat there in the background, untouched and filed away. Now from there, their married life and everything seemed to follow that steady, everyday rhythm. Eric's work was consistent, the business was growing, and it of course wasn't flashy work, and it required long hours and physical effort, but it provided stability and the kind of life they were after. Corey's work in real estate was a bit different. She focused on flipping those homes which looked very successful, especially when dealers deals sorry, are moving between properties, with this property going out and this one being sold and this one being bought. It's all this chaos basically going and that kind of business depends heavily on borrowing, timing, and while a lot of risk involved. So when things go well well, they can be very profitable. But if they don't, financial pressure can build quickly and that's where a lot of things go wrong. And for Corey, at some point that pressure started to grow on her. Her business began taking on more and more projects, and with that came more and more borrowing. Loans were taken out to finance certain deals. Credit was used to keep projects going, and overall the amount of money that was tied up in these properties just kept increasing. On its own, that might not have been in a big issue, you know, someone just working in real estate. It's not unusual for that sort of thing to occur, but it was happening in a way that began to create a lot of problems. And one of the most significant issues involving a home was on an equity line of credit taken out against Eric's property. Ooh, now, this line of credit that was taken out against the property was an amount of around two hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and it was something that Eric had not even knowingly approved, and it was alleged later on that the document had even been forged.
Speaker 2: Holy okay, this is uh, this is setting up for some bad, bad news.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. Now, from that line of credit, large sums of money were withdrawn, and at the same time, additional credit cards were opened up and more debt was added on top, and these transactions were already well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars, and that still wasn't the full price, because beyond that, there were other loans, on going expenses tied to properties that hadn't been sold, and financial commitments that continue to stack up one after the other. And by the early time in twenty twenty two, estimates of that total debt connected to Corey's real estate activity reached into the millions.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, this is just spiraling.
Speaker 1: Spiraling for sure. Now here's the thing, you know, the old saying you need to spend money to make money. Yes, that's definitely the application for her business model. If you're going to acquire a property, you're going to renovate it, and you're wanting to flip it to sell it for a profit. You need to invest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this is getting to be a bit much. I think it's too much.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. It got too much. You too many properties, too many ones, not going through, too many ones, not selling too high of value, going into the flip and not getting your return of investment is what you wanted. Quite like, it got messy.
Speaker 2: Fast, growing at a rate that is not sustainable.
Speaker 1: Definitely, of this debt was obvious. Their life still looked great. It was intact, and they lived and ate very well. Eric's successful company provided very comfortable lives at this point. But inside the marriage the situation had already changed. This wasn't just business risk anymore. It was money tied directly to their home. That line of credit taken out against the property. But I mean Eric didn't know that yet, but there was involving their future and everything they'd built together. Now, at some point the financial situation stopped being something they could have just sit in the background, and Eric actually became aware that something wasn't right. He found that money had been taken out in ways he hadn't approved of. That accounts existed that he had not ever agreed to, and the scale of all of this was much larger than something that could be explained in simple misunderstandings or bad decisions. It was too much, and it was all something that directly involved his name, his property, and his financial standings, things he didn't sign for. In October of twenty twenty, he took a step that made it clear how serious he was viewing the situation. He met with an estate planning attorney. During that meeting, he explained that he had discovered what he believed was ongoing misuse of his finances, not a one time issue, but something that happened continuously over a period of time. And from there he began to make some changes. He removed Corey as the beneficiary in his life insurance policy, he took control of his assets and how they would be handled moving forward, and most importantly, he created a trust, and that trust placed his estate, including his business and everything that he owned, under the control of his sister.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm also assuming here that Corey is not aware of this.
Speaker 1: No, not as far as my understanding.
Speaker 2: This is so interesting, how there's just so much going on in behind the scenes of this marriage.
Speaker 1: Really it's messy.
Speaker 2: I literally can't hide a thing from you. So I'm having almost trouble them doing this sort of thing and being able to relate. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if I if I go and get a beer with friends or something like that, You're like you're texting me. You're like you're drinking beer right now, and I'm like, oh shit, yes, I how do you know? Well, I look at the bank statement. Damn it. We weren't supposed to know I was going out for a beer. Yeah, it's I don't know how people hide hundreds of thousands, let alone millions of dollars and have all this complicated stuff when I can't hide five bucks. Well yeah, not that I want to hide five bucks, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Way on, It would weigh on a person so much too, I just I can't. It would like eat you up.
Speaker 1: I think, I think so. Now. The intention of what Eric was doing, taking this trust and putting it under the control of his sister was that if something were to happen to him, the money and assets would then be able to go directly to his children and not directly to Corey, because it was clear she couldn't be trusted with the finances if she's doing all this sort of stuff, trying to make sure if he were to pass away, there's still a life for his.
Speaker 2: Voice, which, honestly, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, there's also indications that he started exploring some other options as well. Conversations with the divorce attorney showed up, and they suggested that he may have been considering ending the marriage altogether.
Speaker 2: Over this well fair enough really, like gosh, I couldn't imagine finding this shit out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, whether he made that final decision or not isn't entirely clear, but that was the direction he was moving in. Now. Around that same time, another part of Corey's life had already begun to shift to see in twenty twenty, she reconnected with a man that she had known in the past. It was something that started off, you know, just chatting between two people who'd already had a bit of a history. But it didn't stay casual for long and that relationship became a lot more personal and eventually it turned into, as you can guess, I'm sure, a romantic one. From that point on, there were two separate realities to developing at the same time. One on one side, there was, you know, with Corey in her life and home, right that marriage that at least on the outside, still appeared intact with three young kids in the shared household. And on the other side, there was a new relationship with conversations that weren't tied to her role as a wife or mother at all, one that didn't carry that same pressure complications that were going on in their life. Inside that new and exciting relationship, there were conversations about the future, what life could look like under different circumstances. Now, those conversations went further than just general speculation or romantic daydreaming. There were moments where she talked about actually wanting to leave her husband Eric and about imagining a life where that relationship was no longer part of the picture. In one text exchange, she even asked Duress directly about the possibility of marriage, framing it as if something that could happen one day if they were no longer Eric in the picture.
Speaker 4: Okay, she seems like a terrible person, And in another she full out described a version of a version of her life where everything would be better if you were just simply gone.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm hoping that the three children that she has is also involved in this new plan of hers.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't go too deep into these texts that she was sending. They were clearly ominous and inappropriate. So I'm not sure if there was any conversations with the boys, but the sense around it was certainly wanting to move on with this partner and put Eric in the past one way or another. Now, what makes this part of the story so important isn't just the existence of that relationship though, it's the affairs happen in many situations and on their own, they don't necessarily point to anything beyond, you know, bad personal choices or relationship breakdowns. Yeah, affairs are bad, but it's not murderous or anything.
Speaker 2: You know what, It's not gonna make you go.
Speaker 1: To jail exactly. In this case, however, the timing was huge. The relationship was developing at the same time the financial pressure was increasing, at the same time that the marriage was even becoming strained, and at that same period of time, Eric was taking steps to separate himself financially and legally. Literally, everything was drifting apart in this situation, and because of all that, by the time twenty twenty one, came around, there were already a few different pressures building inside the relationship. Corey and Eric soon took a trip to Greece. They were getting away for a bit, spending time somewhere completely removed from their normal routine in businesses. But during that trip something happened that would take on a very different meaning later on. At one point, Eric became suddenly and severely ill. It wasn't a gradual illness that came on with a little bit of you know, sneezing, coughing. Oh, my stomach kind of hurts a bit. No, it was something that didn't need to evolve. It was on set very fast, and the reaction was intense enough that it stood out in their memory. It was as sick that also didn't seem to match anything obvious like food poisoning or exhaustion. The details around exactly what caused it weren't clear at the time. There wasn't an immediate explanation or any sort of diagnoses. It was treated as one of those situations where someone goes traveling and gets sick and things pass. But Eric, though he didn't completely brush it off. Afterwards, he spoke to his sister about it and During that conversation, he expressed something that at the time may have sounded unusual, but in hindsight carries so much weight because he told his sister he believed he may have been poisoned. Now, it wasn't something he had investigated or gone down a rabbit hole or anything like that, and at that point there wasn't anything to confirm anything. So there was no evidence, no pattern, there was nothing to support that claim. So it stayed there a serious accusation, and that was that.
Speaker 2: But it's also very much just showing just how little of trust he has in I'm assuming he thinks it's his wife, Corey who poisoned him.
Speaker 1: I think so there's no real confirmation that I could find on who he said if there was a name specifically, but he knew that there was a chance or at least a suspicion that he was poisoned, probably yes, by Corey, but I couldn't find him specifically saying her name. For that situation.
Speaker 2: Oh, this man needs to just I don't know if his money is being like kind of taken and like his signature's being forged and now he's potentially being poisoned. I feel like he just needs to freaking run for the hills.
Speaker 1: Probably, you're probably right with that. Now, by late twenty twenty one, there was a noticeable change in how things were unfolding. Up until this point, most of what had happened could still be explained, you know, in pieces you find financial issues, strain in a relationship, suspicion. After that trip to Greece, none of it on its own clearly pointed to anything. But around this time something more specific began to take shape. Corey started reaching out to someone she knew through her work. That person was a woman named Carmen, who was a housekeeper who had in the past been connected to individuals involved in drug related activity. Now, the messages between them were normal at first, but at some point the nature of their communication started to change, and Corey began asking about obtaining prescription pain medication. Now the requests that she were sending were for drugs like hydrocodin, which is a potent semisynthetic opioid, analgesic which is used to treat severe chronic pain. Then, over more time, the conversations shifted once again. She began asking for something stronger, not just general pain medication. This time, though, but something much more potent. In one exchange, she referred to it in a way that stood out, asking for what she described as the Michael Jackson stuff quote unquote, which was a reference commonly associated with powerful drugs that had been linked to his death. Now that was a clear step beyond what she'd just been asking for before. From this point on, basically the focus moved towards asking for fentanyl.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this is really frickin' alarming, Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The transactions that followed were arranged through this connection. Through this Carmen, payments were made, sometimes in cash, sometimes through other means, and the drugs were obtained in multiple instances over the course of several weeks. By the time Valentine's Day came around in February of twenty twenty two, Corey, Eric, and their kids were all home together and at some point during the night, Corey prepared food for Eric, and not long after he ate it well, he fell ill. The reaction came quickly, just like when it was in Greece. He developed this sickness fast, but this time he developed hives and his body began reacting in ways that suggested something more serious than a mild allergic reaction. His breathing became difficult, and the situation escalated to the point where he had to actually do something about it himself. He used an EpiPen and took benadryl in an attempt to manage what was happening. Now those measures appeared to help, and soon the immediate danger started to pass. He never lost consciousness and he did not end up going to the hospital that night, but the severity of what had happened while it left a lot of massive red flags.
Speaker 2: I feel like he maybe should have gone to the hospital that night.
Speaker 1: Probably should have in hindsight. Yes. Now, afterwards he spoke to people close to him about this and what happened. In messages sent shortly after the incident, he told a friend that he believed his wife had tried to poison him, which marked the second time he believed this had happened. So, yes, he should be going to the hospital, Yes he should be getting it investigated. But whether it was doubts or the kind heart that he had inside of him, nothing formal came of it. Once again, no report, no investigation, and still no clear evidence that could confirm what he was suggesting. In the weeks that followed Valentine's Day, life simply continued on. There were still responsibilities to handle, there were still children to take care of, and ongoing work tied to both of their careers and their day to day routine pushed forward. But behind the scenes, Corey's communication related to obtaining drugs continued, and at one point in those conversations there was an indication that what had previously been acquired was not strong enough, suggesting that the earlier usages of the drugs had not achieved the desired results.
Speaker 2: My gosh, so she had she originally well, I guess second time, wanting to do this on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did that on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: That is just pure evil.
Speaker 1: Now, Towards the end of February, another transaction took place. A second batch of fentanyl was obtained, and based on communications surrounding it, it was expected to be more potent than the first, which brings us to the evening of March third, twenty twenty two. Corey and Eric were at home together and that night there was something they were planning to celebrate. See, there was a real estate deal tied to one of Corey's projects, that had just closed. She had just purchased a very significant property. It was a mansion priced at two point one million dollars. Now some reports suggest that it could have even been higher than that, at three point one but either way, it was a massive mansion and if everything went as planned, they were going to flip this property and it had the potential of bringing in a substantial return on its investment. But it was a big business move and they were celebrating. Now. At some point that evening, Corey prepared a drink for Eric. It was a Moscow mule, a mixed typically of vodka, ginger beer, and lime. It's usually served in like a copper cup, and it's a common drink. It's something that fit naturally to the idea of them celebrating the occasion at home. They were in their bedroom when he had it, and I'm sure they did a little cheers before even drinking it, and not long after the night began to settle into its normal rhythm. Remember, they weren't partiers or anything, so they're celebrating was pretty minimal. Around nine thirty pm, Corey left the master bedroom, where she said she went to one of their son's room because he was experiencing a night terror, and she stayed with him for a bit before falling asleep in there herself. From that point forward, her account was that she remained there with her son for several hours. However, contrary to what she claimed about her sleeping, her phone data would later show that she was seen on her phone and it was active during that time when she was supposedly asleep, So her phone was unlocked multiple times in that period leading to the early morning, and that detail would become part of this investigation going forward, raising questions about what really happened in those hours. Now, sometime after three am, that's when she returned to the master bedroom, and that's when she said she reached towards Eric and realized something was wrong. He wasn't moving, there was no response, and she touched him and he was already cold. What followed was that nine one one call that had brought everything into motion. But by the time she made that call, whatever had happened to him had already occurred and he was dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she damn well knew he was dead too.
Speaker 1: There were no signs of a struggle in the room, no visibility of anything out of place, no immediate indication what had caused this, just a man lying in bed, unresponsive, in a house that otherwise appeared quiet and undisturbed. To the first responders who would soon arrive at the scene, it looked like a sudden, unexplained death. But when you place it along everything that had happened in the weeks and the months leading up to that night, the request for the drugs, the earlier incidents, growing tension begins to feel a lot less isolated, less like a single event, and more like a final point in a sequence that had already been set in motion. Now, in the immediate aftermath of Eric's death, there wasn't a clear answer for what had happened to him. From the perspective of first responders, there was no visible signs of trauma. The scene didn't suggest a struggle or anything external that could cause this, given how suddenly it occurred. One of the earliest possibilities was possibly an aneurysm, but there was still no sure sign. It accounted for the lack of visible injuries and the speed at which everything had unfolded, but that assumption didn't hold up for long. As part of the standard process for someone as young and healthy as Eric, an autopsy was conducted to determine his cause of death, and when the findings came back, the toxicology reports showed Eric had a significant amount of fentanyl in his system. In fact, he had more than five times the lethal dose.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, this was all in his beverage allegedly, yeah, huh okay.
Speaker 1: So this clearly wasn't a small trace amount and not something that could easily be explained by any sort of accidental exposure. But ultimately Eric's cause of death was officially determined to be a fentanyl overdose. Now, I want to remind you something that I said in regards to Eric. He had no known history of drug use whatsoever. There wasn't even a prescription that could account for this that he had. There was no evidence inside the home that suggested he had access to fentanyl on his own, and the presence of that substance in that quantity did not fit anything previously known about him, and that possibility of the unknown method on how fentanyl ended up in his system became the central question moving forward in this case, and importantly so because a fentanyl overdose, especially one of that level, isn't something that typically occurs without a clear source. So investigators who were now entering the picture needed to determine where it came from and how it was ingested, and whether Eric had any connection known to it before. Now. Those who knew him very well, in fact, were very consistent in what they all said regarding this. Eric did not use drugs. He wasn't involved in anything that would have put him in contact with fentanyl whatsoever, and there was nothing in his life that pointed in that direction. The idea that he had somehow overdosed on this on his own didn't align at all. Now, that alone didn't prove anything. People lead secret lives all the time, However, it didn't make the situation any easier to explain. So digging into what happened, investigators began working through the timeline surrounding his death. They looked at the hours leading up to it, the people who he had been in contact with, and anything that might explain how fentanyl could have entered his system, And as they did that certain details stood out. The events on Valentine's Day were one of the first that came back into focus all of a sudden. The earlier illnesses, the severity of the reaction, and the way that Eric had described it. Afterwards all began to carry a hell of a lot more weight, and the same was true for that trip to Greece. At the time, it was an unexplained illness with a bit of suspicion, but now it was another moment that didn't quite fit, like the idea of a sudden accidental overdose. Investigators also began examining Corey's statements a lot more closely. Her account of the night remained consistent in some areas, but there were elements that raised some questions. The timeline she provided didn't fully align with the data from her phone, as I mentioned, which showed activity during the period when she said she was asleep. From there, the investigation expanded into viewing more phone records, and they were analyzed too, things like communication history, search activity, and deleted data, which had all become part of the process, and as more information was gathered, more was coming to the surface. For example, they found significant amounts of that deleted data, messages that had been removed, conversation that were no longer visible to normal view and when that data was recovered it was jaw dropping stuff. They were messages related to obtaining drugs, and those messages traced back to the same connection that had been identified earlier, the housekeeper who had access to people involving drug distribution. There were those initial requests for pain meds than ones followed by a shift towards something stronger. References to fentanyl were there as well. Investigators also examined Internet search history from her phone, and among searches were questions about lethal doses of fentanyl, how long does it take for drugs to take effect, and what happens on a death certificate in a case involving poisoning. There were also searches related to deleting data and information about life insurance payouts. It was all extremely damning digital evidence that had Corey firmly under the microscope of investigators, and as such they kept looking into her. Statements made after Eric's death were soon reviewed. In early conversations with authorities, Corey herself had said that Eric did not have a history of drug use, which aligned with what others had said about him, though I should note at this point there is evidence that Eric would occasionally take THHC gummies for sleep purposes, but the doses were minor and the purchases were from federally regulated retail sources regardless. Later, as the case developed, there were some suggestions from Corey that he may have been using other drugs regularly. Now, in the days and weeks following Eric's death, life didn't stop. There were immediate responsibilities to handle, including funeral arrangements and three young children who had just lost their father, and it was tough for them. They were young, they just experienced a massive and unexpected loss. There were conversations about what had happened, explanations given by people in their lives, and an effort to maintain some sense of normalcy for the family. But alongside all of that, there were decisions and actions that also began to draw attenson. One of the most notable moments came almost immediately the big real estate deal that was being celebrated the night before Eric died. It didn't disappear. Instead, it moved forward on schedule. The property closed, and Corey finalized the transaction shortly after his death. Now, that can be explained as part of an ongoing business process, something that had already been in motion and couldn't easily be paused. Sure, but still there were also attempts by Corey to access a safe that belonged to Eric. It was something that led to tension within the family, particularly between Corey and Eric's sister, who, as I mentioned earlier, was the one Eric left his finances too. Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really trusted the sister and I bet she doesn't.
Speaker 1: Trust Corey exactly, and this is where Corey's finding out that those changes were made. Now, at one point the situation even escalated into confrontation, and it was later reported that it became physical. Now, it may be no surprise to say that Eric's family struggled to accept the idea that his death had been natural or even an accident. At the same time, though, Corey's family stood firmly on the other side and saying that it was a natural or accidental death. From their perspective, she was a grieving wife who just lost her husband unexpectedly. The idea that she could have been involved and his death didn't align with anything they knew about her or the situation. To them, the focus was on supporting her and the children, not questioning what had happened. The divide existed very early on, right after Eric passed away, and it remained that way consistently. The two completely different interpretations of the same event, held by two different sides of people who were all looking at the same loss but coming from very different conclusions. Now, at around ten or eleven months after Eric's death, Corey also began presenting a different version of herself Publicly. She was a grieving widow dealing with three children who did not understand the death of their father, or at least understand how to process it. She said she looked all over and could not find any resources or children's books on dealing with grief, and since she couldn't find one, she decided she was going to write and publish a children's book herself. Now, as far as reports go, the book was written with the help of a ghostwriter, meaning she didn't actually write it herself, but nonetheless it was written to help their son's cope with the loss of their father. The title of the book is are You with Me? And it reads from the perspective of a child asking their father if he's still with them after death, and then shortly through the book it changes to the father's perspective, saying he is always there with them, even when they can't see him. The interviews that she was in she spoke about wanting something that she could read to them at night that could help explain what had happened in a way that they couldn't understand. The book was meant to bring comfort not just to her own family, but to others going through something similar, and it also reinforced the image of a grieving wife trying to hold things together. It wasn't until later, as the investigation became public that the contrast between that image that she was betraying and the allegations against her became impossible to ignore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is this just gives you a really lucky feeling.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Now, as the investigation continued, the pieces that had been building in the background were no longer being looked at individually. By this point, investigators had built a timeline, a pattern of behavior, and a growing body of evidence that connected events across several months, and in May of twenty twenty three, more than a year after Eric's death, that work led to a decision. Corey Richins was arrested and formally charged with aggravated murder, tied to the allegations that she had intentionally administered a lethal dose of fentanyl to her ex husband Eric.
Speaker 2: I'm honestly a bit surprised it took them that long. I mean, I know, like stuff takes time and stuff, but it seemed I mean, sitting here listening to you present everything, it seems almost obvious.
Speaker 1: But in hindsight, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: It wouldn't you know, probably have been no one. The majority of people did not expect that she would have killed her husband, so it took time to dive into this and figure it out.
Speaker 1: I guess for sure, you got to build your case right, and you don't want it too fast now. Alongside that were additional charges as well, including attempted murder related to the Valandine's Day incident, as well as multiple counts of fraud connected to life insurance policies and financial activity. After Eric's death. Brutal See investigators found that multiple life insurance policies had been taken out on him, with a combined value in the millions, and steps were taken by Corey to access those funds he died. At the same time, there were efforts to gain control over assets connected to his state that we already know, right, but Eric had of course already changed them. Corey wasn't the beneficiary. It was over to his sister.
Speaker 2: I could imagine how shocking that would have been to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she probably would have had her job on the floor as a result. Some of the financial actions taken after his death became a very key part in the case and were presented as fraudulent. Corey, however, maintained her position that she was an innocent, grieving widow who lost her husband to an unexpected event, and she pleaded not guilty to all charges. So now the case moved through the legal system and towards a trial, and another piece of information had surfaced as well. See while Corey was in custody, a handwritten letter was discovered. It was located inside the jail in her cell, hidden within a book. The pages were labeled, organized and written in a way that suggested it had been thought through careful, and at the top of the pages, the phrase walk the dog appeared repeatedly, and the content of the letter laid out a series of instructions. It described a version of events in which Eric had been obtaining drugs himself, specifically fentanyl, from outside sources. This letter suggested that he had been using those substances regularly and that his death could have been a result of his own actions rather than anything that was done to him. The structure of the letter, however, stood out massively as well. See it wasn't written as a personal reflection or a casual explanation. Now, this letter was clearly written by Corey herself and outlined how this version of events could be communicated. It referenced specific people, including family members, and it described how information could be passed along, moving from one person to another, eventually reaching legal representation. From the perspective of prosecutors, this was interpreted as an attempt to influence testimony. Basically, this letter, prosecutors believed, was Corey trying to get people to tell a specific version of events in their testimony during court one which Eric was using drugs himself and that the death wasn't her fault. Prosecutors basically believed she is fabricating a tale, trying to pass it along to people who will appear in court and have that fabricated story be presented as fact.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, she's grasping here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was hoping to get this letter to someone and they could spread it to all the people necessary, and in doing so, she could create that false narrative to protect herself. But the defense, however, they saw this letter very differently. They argued that the letter was not intended to be sent or used in that way at all. No, of course not, of course not. They instead said it was described as a form of personal writing, something more like notes or maybe even a diary journal. Yeah, not a set of instructions meant to actually be acted on, of course not. Why would she do that? Right, So, in that context they maintained that she should that this should not be treated as evidence of manipulation whatsoever. Now, arguments were made in courts about whether this letter should be considered relevant or not and what it actually represented, But ultimately, while it did not result in additional charges related to witness tampering, it remained part of the broader discussion surrounding the case.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The trial began on February twenty third, twenty twenty six, and over the course of several weeks, the courtroom became the place where everything that had been gathered, every timeline message, and every piece of evidence was all presented, examined, and challenged. The prosecution's case was built around a sequence there was no smoking gun to say, at the least to prove it all, but it was the culmination of all the events that they relied on, and so they didn't argue that Eric's death was a single, isolated act. Instead, they framed it as a final step in a pattern that had been developing over time. They pointed to the earlier incidents, the illness in Greece, the reaction of Valentine's Day, and placed them alongside the drug acquisition timeline and the events of March third and fourth. From their point of view, those pieces formed a very clear progression. They presented evidence showing that Corey had sought out increasingly stronger substances, eventually obtaining fentanyl. They tied that to the toxicology results, which showed the concentration in Eric's system that far exceeded a lethal amount. They also introduced the digital evidence, including the search history deleted messages, all to support the idea that this had been planned and was not accidental. Financial pressure was also another key part of their argument. They outlined that the extent of the debt connected to the real estate activity was there, as well as the existence of life insurance policies, and it would have all provided a financial benefit to her, but only after Eric's death while they were still married because of that prenuptial agreement.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm sitting here wondering if she would have done all this if she knew that the life insurance stuff had changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hard to say, huh so interesting now. Alongside that, they presented evidence of the relationship outside the marriage, suggesting that there was both financial and personal motivation taken together. The prosecution's position was that the evidence pointed in one and only one direction. Eric's death was intentional. When it came time for the defense, rather than trying to explain every detail presented by the prosecution, they focused on what they argued was missing. They pointed out that there was no direct evidence whatsoever showing that Corey had physically administered fentanyl to Eric, no recording, no witness, no single piece of proof that clearly established that moment, and no other proof that could indicate he ingested it from another source. They also challenged the reliability of certain parts of the investigation too. The connection to the drug source was questioned, including inconsistencies and testimony and circumstances under which statements had been made. They raised the possibility that Eric may have had access to the substances on his own, and that the death could have been a result of something other than intentional poisoning. In their view, the case relied too heavily on interpretation and circumstantial evidence to prove anything but above all that happened on the trial, one of the most notable aspects was how it ended. See, the prosecution had called more than forty witnesses to the stand. They questioned, you know, her boyfriend behind the scenes, right, They questioned that Carmen person, the one where she got drugs from family members, friends, All these people, they examined them in depth, and when it came time for the defense to call a witness to the stand. When it was their turn, they didn't call a single witness to testify.
Speaker 2: Really, okay, that seems kind of rare.
Speaker 1: They waived their right to call any witness. Corey herself didn't even take the stand on her own behalf.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, I wonder, I don't know. I guess maybe they just didn't have anyone to call.
Speaker 1: My interpretation is any more people on the stand would only be more damning evidence against them.
Speaker 2: Huh. That's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, with that shocking move, and after weeks of testimony, evidence and arguments. The case was then simply handed over to the jury and deliberations began. And trust me when I say it didn't take long. After just under three hours, the jury returned with a verdict. Corey Richins was found guilty on all counts. The convictions included aggravated murder, attempted murder related to the Valentine's Day incident, and multiple counts of fraud tied to financial activity and insurance claims after Eric's death.
Speaker 2: Who that's hefty.
Speaker 1: Eric's family, who had spent the past few years waiting for the case to reach that point, expressed a sense of relief for them. They knew it was They knew what was done to Eric. It was just a matter of proving it in court. Corey remained composed as the verdict was read. The judge made it clear to everyone in the room to hold their composure no matter what the verdict was, and if they needed to do anything when it was read aloud, they were to simply hang their head, look down, and nothing more. So. There was little outward reaction from Corey as guilty was read aloud in the court. She did as instructed as each count was confirmed she hung her head in defeat and in shame, but outside the legal outcome, there was still another reality to consider. Sentencing has been scheduled for May thirteenth, twenty twenty six, which means, as of recording this podcast, Corey has yet to be sentenced for her crimes. Also, the day of the sentencing when its scheduled, May thirteenth, also happens to be Eric's birthday. That day, he would have been turning forty four years old if you were still in this world now. Even though we don't know the sentence just yet, we do know that the aggravated murder conviction alone carries a sentence with a possibility of twenty five years to life in prison, so it is likely Corey will receive a lot of years since she has many charges on top of that one. Now, when everything is laid out from the beginning to the end, the story doesn't feel like a single moment. Feels like a very convoluted series of decisions and small actions and changes that built over time. And that's because it's exactly what it is. It started with a normal life with a relationship and a family that were growing businesses in a wealthy lifestyle. But there wasn't a clear dividing line where everything suddenly changed. No, that shift happened gradually through financial strain, personal decisions, and moments that took one person down a very dark path that destroyed a home and left one man dead and three sons without a father. Eric was their father. He was someone who showed up for them, someone who built a life for them, and who was supposed to be there to watch them grow up. That's the part that doesn't get to be replaced no matter what the outcome of this case is. And that's the story of Eric Riches.
Speaker 2: What a just terrible sad way of him dying. He would have just been in bed alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, he would have been. And there's a chance there is a chance she could have been awake and she could have heard him, and she did nothing and just waited for time to pass by until she to go in and do what just.
Speaker 2: Scroll on Facebook periodically, like waiting until she should go back in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, oh.
Speaker 2: My goodness, gracious, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: But here we are. That's the case. And Eric likely knew this was coming in some shape or form, but I don't think he wanted to believe it because he had two suspicions of being poisoned already, and he did not go to the police. He did not seek investigation.
Speaker 2: I know, which honestly makes it even more heart wrenching that he didn't want to that he didn't want to believe that his wife could be capable of this kind of cruelty.
Speaker 1: He just thought that she was financially unresponsible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, frick I mean one like little silver lining I suppose is I feel like he probably did set his sons up for a fairly decent life moving forward, you know, and he was able to do that even with it like in a with them being young, right, So yeah, so that is I guess kind of good and they get to live on knowing that.
Speaker 1: But Frank, we got to stop with these these fucking.
Speaker 2: Podcasts where those supposes just keep murdering each other.
Speaker 1: I know. That's I'm finding so many of those cases recently, and I'm going to try and switch it up here for the next case. Trust me, I've got a few serial killer cases that are on my mind. But some of these ones where it's just a spouse for whatever reason, wants to separate, so they do something drastic. It blows my mind how many of them are out there.
Speaker 2: Should I be worried you seem to be gravitating to them recently.
Speaker 1: No, No, you should not be worried. I don't know why I'm gravitating. I think that they're just I think the algorithms online are starting to feed them to me. You know, yeah, because I scroll Facebook, Instagram, I scroll YouTube, I scroll all these social media platforms looking for different cases to cover. I go down rabbit holes and on Reddit and Google all these sorts of things, and I think, yeah, some of those social platforms are starting to push these ones to me a bit more. So maybe I should start looking for the serial killer ones or some different ones. I think we are also overdue for a survivor case as well.
Speaker 2: Also, maybe this is just happening more. Maybe right, Like I don't know, people instead of getting divorced, they just think, hey, I'm just going to murder my spouse. I think that sounds much easier.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't exactly say that this isn't a recent one either, so that deligns with what you're saying. Because she was found guilty March sixteenth, twenty twenty six, less than a month ago she was found guilty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious too. I'm hoping that her book, I don't even know if I want to talk about this, but I'm hoping her book is not is no longer available.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a self published book, so I don't know to the extent of where it was available. She likely had all the copies herself.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I did go online and do a I didn't dive too deep, but I did do a quick look to see if you could purchase them. I could not find one out there to purchase, so that is good.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's probably, yeah, just like a small, little, little kind of hobby project book that she maybe had.
Speaker 1: I don't know, potentially, it's hard to say, but yeah, I could not find one to purchase, and that's good. I hope that all those copies just get burned.
Speaker 2: How the hell could you just sit there, though, and write that and read that to your children for their bedtime story when you know that you're a complete monster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, I will say this. I was able to find online a digital transcript of the book. What I am going to do because I am curious on this writing as well, and I'm sure many people are. I'm going to go on Patreon and I'm going to do a reading of her book for our Patreon listeners. So if you want to hear that, you can go ahead and sign up. That will be getting posted here in the next day or so, so you can hear what this book is about and what she had to say, what this convicted murderer had to say about dealing with grief.
Speaker 2: You almost have to feel bad for that ghost writer too, because she did she heave them they did not sign up for this.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not right.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine writing this for someone and then later realizing that they were actually the murderer? Like, woof, Yeah, I don't know if I would trust another soul.
Speaker 1: In my entire life. No kidding, Yeah, I'm never going to ghost write for anyone again. Yeah, she just write my own shit now, but kidding. Anyways, thank you guys for being here. We really appreciate you. If you want to see some of our links and check it out, like if you want to sign up for Patreon links in the description of this podcast, you can find our website or social media's all that good stuff. We are an independent podcast. We will forever be an independent podcast, and we get to keep doing this because you support us. You're still here at the end and that means a lot, so thank you very much, and of course until next time, stay wicked and oh