Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. In a typical Monster Talk episode, we highlight a monster to talk about his plausibility and find scientists and researchers who could help us better understand the details, facts and nuances of such creatures. We also occasionally talk to people who believe that such monsters are real and try to get their point of view. But this episode's a bit different from anything we've done before. Tonight, we're going to talk to a self described witch who has written a book on how to use magic to defend against a variety of monsters and monstrous forces. I think it's a fairly interesting conversation, and I hope you agree. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant very creature Part eight, part mat in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 2: It's a creature known as the luck Nest.
Speaker 4: I was good Monster Talk.
Speaker 2: Hello. I'm Blake Smith, the host of Monster Talk. In this episode, we'll be talking with author, lawyer and self described which Emily Carlin. Ben Radford will be joining me for this interview. A few listeners may have noted that I promised our episode on the Kraken would be this week. That episode ran into some fairly serious technical problems and had to be postponed. But I have no fear we will engage the Kraken. We have some really interesting things led for twenty twelve, including more sea monsters, more zombies, shape changers, and even Satan. The upcoming interview is with a person who believes in the power of magic and teaches the use of it for defense against an astonishing array of ghulies and gremlins and ghosts and goblins and grumpkins. The book she wrote very interesting and entertaining. I know that our listeners know that we are very skeptical of magical claims, but I also expect that most of our listeners also love monsters and tells the paranormal, even if they don't find the underlying framework of plausibility to the tales. I'm pleased to say that our conversation was fun and interesting, and while we come from different approaches, I was happy with the dialogue, and I hope you will be too. But before we get started, let me remind everyone that while we are an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views and ideas expressed herein are not necessarily the views of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society.
Speaker 1: Monstertal.
Speaker 2: I think I've mentioned it on Monster Talk before that before I became a self identifying skeptic. How about that someone with a someone who says they're a skeptic with a capital less. For years and years I read about the paranormal and didn't really experience anything until I finally did experience something that seemed like a classic haunting. And when that happened, it went on for quite a while, probably a year, year and a half, and I really didn't know how to deal with it. I didn't know what to do to stop it. My exciting defense mechanisms included sleeping with the light on, getting a dog, and letting him be my protector, which was more than just having a friend. I mean, I really thought about it in the sense of dogs are supposed to be able to see the spirits, and so he would, he would bark at unseen things, and you know, to me, that was just confirmation that interesting, that he was helping guard off the unknown.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I've i've always had cats, and cats, as you know, will stare at anything or nothing that they see in the room. So they they will give you lots and lots of red herrings and false leaves on ghosts.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. Yeah, but they're the best friend of a witch anyway. So actually what happened was, at one point I had a roommate and he was experiencing the haunting with me. I mean it was, you know, real things were happening, like I say. You know, we talked about the exploding light bulbs and bumps and noises and doors opening and closing by themselves, all the classic things, right, everything but a full ball and apparition, right. And at one point he got so upset that he decided he would do something about it, and he went and did a smudging ceremony. So he went and he got a smudge stick, and he walked around the property inside and outside, you know, smoking a smudge stick and do some sort of cleansing ritual. Now, it didn't actually stop my problem, but it made him feel much better. So you know, for him, he felt much more comfortable after the smudging. I felt much more comfortable after I learned about sleep paralysis and how that works, and then it explained a lot of my problems. But no, the smudging ceremony, I thought it was very interesting. It wasn't really part of my upbringing. It wasn't something I was really familiar with. But his wife was involved in WICCA, and she suggested it as a possible cure for the problem. So it's pertinent to our guest tonight, who's going to be talking about her book on Defense against the Dark.
Speaker 1: So yes, yeah, a field Guide to protecting yourself from predatory spirits, energy, vampires, and malevolent magic with magic spelled the c. K. Quasi authentic way, the Aleister Crowley way, not just not just Crowley, but certainly he was one of the bones of that. Yeah, you know, I have I kind of, to be honest with you, I kind of have mixed feelings about about the sort of stuff. I looked over the book of course and everything, and and from what I could tell, it's, you know again, it's it's a field guide protecting yourself from these spirits. And my some of my reservations about this come from having dealt with people who who really sincerely believe that they have ghosts in the house as you and our listeners. Know, I do a fair number of ghost investigations, and on more than one occasion, I've had people who have really been just you know, just really really terrified because of information they've gotten from TV shows, from books, from magazines, whatever else, from people who say, look, you know, ghosts exist, or these things exist, and these are the different types. They'll talk about, you know, residual hauntings, they'll talk about this or that, and of course, you know, my my issue is that, you know, let's first let's establish the ghosts exists before we start going to the subcategories of ghosts. You know, let's let's let's let's let's deal with the the the the assumptions and PREMI dies before sort of get you know, going too far down the track of you know, how to how do you know, if you're confronted with a cultural geist, what's the best way to address that? Whereas if you're confronted with a residual spirit, you know, what's the best we address that? And so so I guess one of my concerns about this is that again, the people are going to sort of take this stuff seriously and say, oh my god, you know this is this is just like what I saw on TV. They're sort of haunting themselves.
Speaker 2: It's really hard when you're dealing with something that doesn't have a physical manifestation, it isn't easily diagnosed through science, to treat it through science. I mean, that's not the way most people would approach it. I think if it fits into a common wisdom or a folklore background of a haunting, is science even part of the toolbox that you deal with it with, right? And I think maybe for most people it's not, especially based on what I've seen on television. That doesn't really mean, you know, that doesn't mean it's true. But you know, I think a lot of you use the toolbox you have, and I think a lot of Christians would use prayer, uh, you know, and maybe people with a more pagan background would use a cleansing ritual. It just kind of depends on what your cultural background is or how you've educated yourself the toolbox you've built. So it'll be interesting to talk to her. I'm really curious to see what she has to say about it. Can I quickly say this? I was looking at the tool section in the back of the book. It had a section totally said I take this as said protective herbs, and it says bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, finnel, garlic, rosemary, sage. What I got out of that is Thanksgiving lunch and dinner are fantastic protective tools. So that's why you're almost never haunted on Thanksgiving Day.
Speaker 1: I hadn't thought about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And in her appendix, not not her physical appendix, no.
Speaker 1: Not her actual appendix I have, which I haven't touched or examined it, but in the Dependence of the book, she has an index of symptoms, which is interesting, and it's about two or three pages worth of everything from an imbalance of nature, ill health, feeling watched, phantom sounds, pantom smells, nightmares, tripping on nothing, objects being moved, just amnesia, unexplained scratches, bad luck, things like that. What's interesting is that apparently, and again I haven't really discussed it with her yet, but apparently these are sort of these are you know, things that are symptoms that you're being attacked by or manifested by these creatures. And of course one of the problems is that many of these are so vague in general that they could apply to anybody. I mean, who hasn't you know, lost their balance at one point, or lost their keys, or you know, had bad luck or whatever else. And so that's one of the one of the problems where you know, I can see someone who really believes that there's a ghost in their house going to this appendix and saying, oh my god, you know, you know, I've been acting out a character I had a bad nightmare the other night, and sort of convincing themselves that these rather banal, ordinary, otherwise ordinary experiences are symptomatic I'm an attack by a predatory spirit.
Speaker 2: Well, true enough, And that's the same sort of thing you find on demon defense pages, is that are you being bothered by demons? You get this some sort of general list of malaise that you might have from what an average person might consider part of life, you know, just regular life events. But they become more sinister when you start to think about it in terms of am I being oppressed by a demon or possessed by a demon?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So it'll be interesting to talk to her. I did notice one of the quick things that she's apparently not making this up. I'm not making a joke out of it. She's apparently the Gray school of Wizardries dean of the Dark Arts I know.
Speaker 2: And she's also apparently in a law school graduate so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so an interesting blend it'll be. It'll it'll be fun to talk to her and hopefully we can, uh we can get through it without any screaming you're yelling.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I'm hopefully it'll be great. So yeah, it's I had to say this, regardless of where we fall from a philosophical perspective, it's an entertaining book. I really found it entertaining, so.
Speaker 1: I did as well. In fact, I mean that's that's one of the things that I would uh uh, I would recommend the book, and of course it's I have to be careful. I say that I would recommend the book as folklore and she I mean, this isn't bashing the book. I mean she she refers to folklore over and over again. So, you know, for people who are interested in, you know, in knowing the folklore behind fairies and genies and elves and goblins and pixies. Uh, that's that's fascinating. I mean my only caution would be sort of, you know that the transition between folklore and claiming that this is you know, actual information that's you know, reflects the real world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, key, isn't it, Because as skeptics do we really believe in demons? So therefore, what is the proper defense?
Speaker 1: What is?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I don't know. For me, being educated to turn out to be the best defense, but maybe that doesn't work for everyone. I don't know. Let's let's move on. That's a debate for another day.
Speaker 1: There you go, more obstrutle.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, Emily, we're calling from Monster Talk and I'm going to read your description from the back of your book here, right. So, you're Emily Carlin and you've been a magical practitioner for more than a decade, and you're the Gray School of Wizardries dean of Dark Art, specializing in defensive magic and creatures of the night, and you teach magical protection to people of all ages and skill levels. And also have a BA in philosophy from Wellesley College and a Juris doctorate from Seattle University School of Law, and are a member of the Washington State Bar.
Speaker 1: That's me super interesting mix. Awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a surprising mix. Quite a pot pourrie of background angles.
Speaker 5: I have a short attendancepan. So I just do everything.
Speaker 2: So how did you get involved in the dark arts or in defense against dark arts or dark a defense against the dark? I got this, Harry Potter bleed in, I apologize, it's all good.
Speaker 5: How did I get into the stuff that I do? Well? I have seen stuff that I couldn't explain and experience things I couldn't explain since I was a very young child. As I grew up, I learned that people had labels for those experiences that I had, and so I decided I would learn about them so I didn't have to be scared anymore. And then I just kind of kept going what.
Speaker 1: Sort of what sort of experiences did you have that? I mean, was it something that you personally experienced You're like, oh my god. You know, you're reading an article or you're reading a book and you're like, this person is describing something that happened to me.
Speaker 5: I have definitely had that experience. When I was a kid, you know, our house had ghosts, and ghosts would talk to me and I could hear them, and when they figured that out, they would then swarm around me, which was very disconcerting for a ten year old. And then I kind of shut it out and got older and then started reading books and go, wait a minute, that happened to me. Oh oh, that happened to me. Oh crap.
Speaker 2: When you say they swarmed you, did you physically see them or you could feel them around you?
Speaker 5: A little bit of both. When I quote unquote see ghosts, it's usually a combination of you know, when you are driving down the highway and it's really hot and you see that the heat vapor. Yeah, it's like a shimmer almost, It's like a different density in the air. That's how I tend to see that kind of thing with my eyes. And I also feel kind of a presence and a pressure shift.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The reason I ask is because I I read your book and I wasn't sure it had a real role playing game source book feel to it, you know, and so I wasn't sure if you were you know, one hundred percent. Yeah, basically, yeah, let me just stop dancing. Yeah, were you serious? So that's yes, Okay, so you're you're totally serious about it.
Speaker 5: I am quite serious about this stuff.
Speaker 2: Cool. Well, the Weird Skeptical Show, We're not gonna mock you or anything, but skeptics we need believers, I guess, or we wouldn't have any kind of discussion here.
Speaker 1: Right there you go, And let me just let me just drive in as someone who spent far too much of my my teenage years playing D and D and memorizing all the monster manual and you know, each of the each of the different characteristics of all that stuff. I I I thought it was really cool to sort of see at least the folklork aspect in the in your book.
Speaker 2: So that was cool. Well and just as a quick Dan D shout out, you got ghouls in there, and that's uh, my favorite monsters.
Speaker 5: So you know, I first played D and D like three months ago. I'd never played it.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 5: That's serious?
Speaker 2: You started with audition or did you start with fourth forty?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, well there you go. Well well hopefully not. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well let me let me let me just just throw this in here. I mean, I'm old school. So like, if if you're my opinion is that if you're going to get into D and D, get into like first edition advanced D and D, that's like that's the stuff that you know, I mean, because I you know that the kids they had like a sixth edition, Like no, no, no, no, this is you got to go back to you know, the d twenties and the you know, the when I was your age, we used to never mind.
Speaker 2: How did you come to write a book about defending against the dark?
Speaker 5: Well, circumstances conspired to make it happen. Basically, two things kind of came together. One, you know, I had all these experiences when I was younger, and then when I got to colle and things exploded, and there were no books out there that gave me the information I wished I had had, which is, you know, the I'm in a panic, what do I do right now so that I don't have to panic? There were lots of things with wonderful stories that were great stories, but not particularly useful, and so I had always wished something like that existed. And then, you know, I joined the grade school and became a professor, and I started writing all these classes about these creatures. And I looked up one day and I'm like, I got one hundred you know, creatures and forty thousand words. Hey, in three weeks, I can turn this into a book, And so I did so.
Speaker 1: In my understanding is sort of a you were looking for a practical sort of aspect to it instead of just stories. You're wanting something that was concrete that people could actually use. Is that right?
Speaker 5: Basically, my whole idea with this book is stuff happens, people don't understand what's going on, and if there's something like what my goal was to make a book where someone who was in a panic because they had things happening they didn't understand, could look at this book, read through descriptions, find whatever was closest to what they were experiencing, and then have two or three concrete things they could do to make those weird things stop if they needed them to.
Speaker 1: MM, that was okay. So now, because you talked about, you know, sort of you were writing this stuff and writing and stuff, You're suddenly like, oh my god, I've you know, I almost got a book here where I mean, it's a pretty amazing collection of information. How did you assemble it? Was this? Did you was it mostly on books on folklore? Did you interview people who personally defended themselves against evil entities like ghosts and goblins and pixies or what? Where did you get the information that's in the book.
Speaker 5: All of the above. I've been researching this stuff since God ninety nine earlier. And I have a really nerdy library, so I have lots and lots and lots of books and folklore, and I also have a lot of personal experience. I know a lot of people that have personal experience, and so it's a combination of the two that really went into this.
Speaker 1: I'd love to be a flight on the wall where you're like, yeah, hey, Dave, I heard that you defended yourself against the goblin the other day. Can you tell me about that? I mean, is that kind of how it went? Or I mean, how do Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, and okay, you have to understand. I teach at an online school of magic.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to ask. What is the Gray School.
Speaker 5: We have a club that is all about defending yourself and I can say, Hey, anyone have any stories they want to share, and I get fifty responths of going, hey, this thing happened, and this thing happened, this thing happened. The Gray School is a online magical school and we teach pretty much everything. It's non religious. It's multinational, ages eight through one hundred. I think my oldest student is seventy four. We teach everything from you know, herbalism to terror reading to defensive magic to you know, Alistair Curley kind of ceremonial magic, and we teach everything, and yes, we do take it seriously.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. So what kind of dangers a weight the unprepared or people who don't have some kind of protection, what's knows? What's the kind of the worst case scenario from a paranormal attack that you've run into?
Speaker 5: Worst case scenario that I can verify actually happened? Women had infernal inner house. It pushed her down the stairs. She broke both legs and basically a vanishing was done and this stopped.
Speaker 1: She makes sure understand. So she she was at the top of stairs and some entity pushed her.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yeah, it does happen. It is obscenely rare, like I think it probably happens once every thirty years on the planet.
Speaker 1: How would just put putting on my skeptical hat here? How would one distinguish that from just sort of tripping on stairs?
Speaker 2: As sure?
Speaker 5: Oh totally. There's a couple different ways, and I'm not sure any of them would really satisfy a hardcore skeptic.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll throw something out, We'll see what sticks.
Speaker 5: But I'll put forth and you may take as you will. First, for me, it was the fact that I knew the people that were telling me about this, and I know that they're not really sredulous people. They are people who have very long kind of standing history with me of being quite on the ball. So I trusted that. What then they said, I felt two hands that pushed me. And you know, there isn't a history of in her ear problems. The stairs are level, there was no heat fluctuations. There were other witnesses present that watched her lurch from the wrong part of her body for tripping kind of things. I am just as skeptical as most skeptics, because I get a lot of crazy people saying, Oh, my house is haunted, Come and save me. You have bad wiring. Call an electrician. So, yes, I do believe all this stuff happened. Do I believe it happens anywhere near as often as people think it does. No, No, I don't.
Speaker 2: You've got a lot of very specific guidance for how to handle different kinds of attacks, and you know, being interested in monsters and RPG background, reading monster books, watching monster movies, every monster movie, sort of follows that formula. Oh there's a monster. What do we do to fight it? We build? You know, what works, what doesn't?
Speaker 1: We'll find the necronomicon, right, you know, you know three times the words?
Speaker 2: Okay, so the you know, So have any of these things been field tested? I guess is the question?
Speaker 5: Yes? Okay, oh yeah. So I have been practicing magic for a while now, and there's kind of a Bell curve of magical asininity where when you're first starting, you're not doing anything, so you're not attracting anything to you. And as you learn just enough, you start to attract things to you, but you're not actually learned enough to not be completely vulnerab and unprotected. And then you learn more and then you can do things without being incredibly vulnerable and unprotected. When I was at the top of that Bell curve, I was with a group of about ten other people that were at that same point in that Bell curve. Bad things happen. It's all a matter of energy, and you can just look at quantum physics. You've got waves and particles, thoughts, equal waves of energy moving through your brain. You know, in some theories, those waves then emanate out from your body and can interact with other waves and particles when they come out of you, and when they all come together in one big heap, all doing the same thing, the entrain and get the same resonance, and then insane things happen. I went to a women's college. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: There you go. Well, let me just fallow up on that. I mean, like, for example, I just recently finished reading a very good book actually on genies and gin and I know and I noticed that, of course you cover some of that as well. But for example, it's said in folklore that both fairies and genies are repelled by iron and salt and other things as well. But but I guess one thing that I always sort of come back to is that how do we know that's true? I mean, I'm not I'm not saying it's not true. I'm not. I'm just saying how other than you know, somebody said, how do we know that genies are afraid of iron? How do we know that fairies? I mean, so how do you address that?
Speaker 5: Well, that is not one of the things that I have personal experience in, So the way I look at it, it would make sense to me if a nature spirit was repelled by man made technology that in my brain works for gin. I I don't see a real logical reason why gin would be repelled by iron, because I mean in traditional lore there you know, Allah made them from like ocalist fire. Right, So I don't quite know how that and iron would not work together.
Speaker 1: Right, you would think that iron being a what could be more earthly than iron? It's mineral all over the place. So I don't understand why that would be selected or why anybody would have thought that that would be anathema to either gin or ferries or anything else.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, iron, iron and steel have been traditional tools or protection against the supernatural for a long time.
Speaker 5: Well, it's usually not lumps of iron ore, it's some kind of rot metal. Yeah, you know the horseshoe, you've gotten iron nails, and the rot metal has been worked upon by man in such a way I could see how those connotations were created.
Speaker 2: Well, it probably means that cars being made of iron or protect protection from gen though, right, that.
Speaker 5: Would be a very heavy car. I'm thinking it's some kind of like World War One tank.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there you go that my neighbor has one. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Further subject to grimlins, right.
Speaker 5: They are subject to grimlins?
Speaker 2: Are grimlins subject to grimlins? Because that would explain a lot they kind of.
Speaker 5: I would think they're kind of tempting fate by calling them grimlins.
Speaker 1: There's a certain twisted logic to that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I just Luis warned you. Blake has as this annoying tendency to throw some puns. I've tried to cure them of it in the year and a half we've been doing this podcast, and apparently it's failed miserably. So if there's any bad puns that come out, just just beware. That's what that is.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's all good. I can ignore them with the best.
Speaker 2: Well, a friend of mine actually called me earlier today and was having internet problems while I was reading your book preparing for this, and I suggested that we try cleansing ritual. But apparently there was an evil spell that someone had comcast on him.
Speaker 5: It does happen, oh my isp But they are also the devil.
Speaker 2: Seriously, was I think it was that you recommend?
Speaker 5: Yes? Actually, in folklore, he's kind of the patron saint of technology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 5: Why, I don't really know.
Speaker 2: I let's be honest, there's technology and folklore. I mean, technology is pretty new compared to folklore. Yes, I saw that there was like a demon protection that you had in here that involved Collie, and I found that a little disturbing because he is I don't know if I want his protection.
Speaker 5: Or notice that that particular ritual was in the space saying don't ever use this unless you think you're going to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a.
Speaker 5: Reason it was under that section around unless you have no choice.
Speaker 1: I mention that was like a you know, in case of fire, break.
Speaker 5: Glass emergency, break the glass, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You hide away in the back. All right, let me let me let me go back to the folklore and myths here, because I've researched quite a bit of folklore. In fact, later this year, I'm actually presenting at the American folk or Society UH conference in Indianapolis and Bloomington on actually on the folk lore that Chipokaba.
Speaker 2: I heard that from a friend of a friend.
Speaker 1: Now, O good one, so so again sort of just from a folklore point of view. I enjoyed the book. But one of the of course, one of the problems is that is that you know, folklore and myths aren't always true. You know, a lot of things that people believe, like not swimming for thirty minutes after eating, or you know, if you if you go in front of a mirror and see bloody Mary three times, you know her goes to pop out. Or if you know a girl won't get pregnant she jumps backward three times after sex. There's all sorts of things that, you know, we believe in folklore, but we believe that folklore says is true but is completely untrue. So how how do you tease out, you know, give given that so much of this with drawn from folklore, how do you how do you assure not only your readers but yourself that you're not just simply passing along bad information that came from another book.
Speaker 5: Well, the way I look at it in a couple of ways. First, in terms of the folklore stuff. You know, like you said, folklore is folklore, which is why it's under the lore section and not necessarily in the back of the book with all the actual tools.
Speaker 1: Mhm.
Speaker 5: Do I think scattering, you know, grains of rice in front of a vampire will make them stop and compulsively pick them up one by one so you can have time to run away. I'm thinking no, okay, Well, now, to be fair, that put it there.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, well, but that falls in the folklore of both Eastern and Western culture vampires. So it's OCD for vampires. Does seem to be consistent.
Speaker 5: It seemed to be quite consistent.
Speaker 2: I'm a skeptic, right, but I'm telling you it shows up in the folklore over and over and over again. If you really think you're facing a vampire, if you really really think you are if everything says it's a vampire, I gotta say, I'm gonna throw some rice.
Speaker 5: You've got some rice, handy, go for it? Why not?
Speaker 1: Well, look, let me lee. I have to interject here because because I've researched my answers quite a bit, and bigfoot in choop of Coppa and lake monsters and that, and my position has always been this that if I'm ever confronted by a bigfoot or Chupcaba, or a lake monster or or the undead, I want to experience that. I I don't want to run from it. I don't want to confuse the vampire, make him count a bunch of grains of rice. I want to, you know, if I'm out there count if I'm out there in the in the wilderness, and I hear something that might be big foot outside my tent, I'm gonna go look. And if if the if the end result is that I'm the first person who have been proven to be killed by a bigfoot, all the better. So So that's that's my position on this is that instead of and I guess this kind of in a weird way sort of contradicts the premise of your book. But you know, I I don't want to say that I wouldn't want to protect myself from these things, but just as as an inquisitive human being, I would. I would almost kind of rather be attacked and just sort of I mean I would. I would find it fast. Yeah, I would find it fascinating. Seriously, I'm not joking. I would. I would find it fascinating to be by a vampire, especially a succubist.
Speaker 2: I want to say, yeah, but yeah, but man, yeah, but if you throw that rice, you're not killing the vampire. You're doing science. Man, You're doing science. You're testing a theory. And if the vampire goes and counts that rice, and if.
Speaker 5: You do it again, you've reproduced the results.
Speaker 2: That's true. Look at that. I have to say that's I would feel pretty good about that test. Okay, fine, and worst case and I just kept you have to say worst case scenario, it's not a vampire. And they're like, why did you throw rice at me?
Speaker 5: Dude?
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, I thought we were in a wedding, right right? Yeah? The folklore that's a dude. Sorry at this. So under vampires you talk about psychic vampires, sanguinarian vampires, and lifestylers, and I have to say, you're really okay, so quickly, for people who haven't read the book, Psychic vampires, uh, drain you psychically, They drain your psychic energy. Sanguinarians are people who really real people who drink your blood voluntarily, like they want to drink your blood to get your permission. And lifestylers are people who want to look like vampires and call themselves vampires but don't really like gamers. Right, Okay, So but you you dismissed them as being goth inspired and not dangerous. But what if they get you in a corner and keep wanting to tell you about their favorite character. You don't have any defense for that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's not the dark art. That's that's annoying people that expertise.
Speaker 1: There's not blake. There's nothing we can do about that. She's she's protecting us from vamage.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's useless and convince.
Speaker 1: It's some If it's some goth asshole, that's that's your own problem.
Speaker 5: Notice how I say, if you know, if a sanguinary and vampire comes after you with a knife, run away, call the cops. You do say that anyone else running after you with a knife.
Speaker 2: Right right, yeah, you absolutely run away, scream, call the cops.
Speaker 5: You do say that if a large predator is coming after you, you want a gun, not magic pixie dust. Yeah, it's just common sense.
Speaker 2: It is, you know.
Speaker 5: The magical stuff is for the stuff that you can't see, that isn't going to you know, rip your throat out.
Speaker 2: Well, you do say if they won't stop talking to you, use common sense and run away, get help or call the police if necessary. So there is that.
Speaker 5: Well, but journey I have to say stuff like that, call the cops.
Speaker 1: Well right, but all right, well, all right, let's say you do this. Okay, you believe you just encountered one of the various types of vampires, and and you go to your local police station, You call nine one one, You say, Hi, I'm I believe that I have just been attacked or tried to have been lasted by a particular sub subtype of vampire. What do you think the reaction is going to be?
Speaker 5: Well, I wouldn't put it that way. I would say, this dude came after me and tried to bite me. I think he's crazy. Can you have him committed? He's dangerous? You can say that to a cop.
Speaker 1: But but hold on here, But but isn't there an ethical issue? Because if that, in fact is a vampire, the cop that you send after maybe.
Speaker 5: No, no, no. If you read this, modern vampires, sanguinary psychic vampires and lifestylars are just people. They are just right.
Speaker 1: But but but yes, but what if? What if? What if you've mistaken? And actually is.
Speaker 5: If it's if it's like some ancient classic vampire like exactly, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna I'm gonna come them's defense here that that's their job to protect and serve.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you know that is cold, dude. That is the risks.
Speaker 2: They knew the risks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they knew the risk that's what they get, you know, they get their blood sucked out, they get raped by Golam. And then you're like, oh, they knew the risk, they knew when they signed out rate by Golam.
Speaker 5: Really you're a really impressive Golm.
Speaker 1: Well I've seen the big one and never mind, Blake, give a question.
Speaker 2: Moving on. Okay, So, so the books divided in basically the two parts, and in the first half you're kind of describing all kinds of dark, malevolent creatures, and in the second half you go into a lot more detail about how to do the defensive part. So now I looked at your spells, and the majority of them start with where it's like in vision or imagine and thinking about these sort of ideas. But I didn't see as much of the Eye of New Feather of Eagle kind of my I was gonna say in RPG terms, there were lots of verbal components, but not many reagents required for these spells.
Speaker 5: No. Basically, tools like that and ingredients like that are generally props and they're all well and good and they can make things more powerful, but you don't need them. And my point with this book was the stuff that you know Joe Schmoe is freaked out in his house because it's making freaky sounds. Picks up. This book can do everything in it with what he's already got in his house. The idea that you have to go and get some crazy arcane ingredient that is gathered by virgins in the dark of the moon when it was boyd. Of course that's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: This is interesting because it posed an interesting intellectual question, all right, and which is this if the majority of your magic involves envisioning or imagining protections for yourself, but you're serious skeptic. When they are encountering these same sort of things, they think to themselves, what is that that is? That's not a ghost? That is the sound of my house creaking.
Speaker 5: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Almost the same thing in a sense in that you're visualizing mentally what it is it. Yeah, well, yeah, you're nullifying the danger by giving it a rational explanation.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: So that's interesting. I don't really have anything to go there's no questions, just an interesting parallel in that.
Speaker 5: It's absolutely true my husband.
Speaker 2: Psychological right, So yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Biggest skeptic in the world. And it's almost like he eats.
Speaker 2: How big is he that weigh three hundred pounds? No, no, there, he's.
Speaker 5: A big guy, but like he's almost like magic comes near him and then just dies under the weight of his power of disbelief.
Speaker 4: So it's yeah, well all right, let me let me pick up on that, because I've written in research of fair amount on ghost and I was actually pleasantly surprised to see a somewhat skeptical bit of a chapter five there where you talk about the undead and you get some good advice on not.
Speaker 1: Jumping jumping to conclusions about what someone's experiencing is necessarily a ghost, evilentity. But that raises the question, well, in fact, I got it right here you're talking about one of the first things you should do is is you know, look at you have several different criteria here. There's misidentification of natural phenomena, hoaxes, hallucinations, psychosomatic constructs, energetic memories, time slips, diseased humans, and other metaphysical beings. From my experience in doing some of these investigations, typically I think this is actually a pretty good list. But typically what I find is that the vast majority, if not all, the the the phenomena fit under your first category, which is miss misidentification of natural phenomena. You know, and the examples you give. You know, just because you're hearing a creaking in your house doesn't mean the ghost, just because you're just because you misplaced your keys doesn't mean that you know poultrygeist is playing with you. But that that then reads the question, well, how do you know? I mean, given that so many of these these in fact this also you know in Europe, you have an appendix here that talks about some of the different symptoms. So given that so many of the symptoms are sort of banal ordinary, you know, feeling watched or feeling not your symptoms.
Speaker 5: Can be written off if you if you if you want to say, okay, there's no way this you know, X, y Z explanation is completely impossible, so I know that's not an option. Therefore this must be misidentification. Any skeptic can take that view, and there's nothing anyone can say that will change that. If you think that it is impossible, that it's a metaphysical explanation, then you are never going to go that route. If you're someone like me, when I go into a location that someone has said is haunted, you know, I people know that I'm good at this stuff, so I get all kinds of weird phone calls. If I walk into a location, I can generally tell within minutes if there's actually something going on, because to me, it feels different. But I've experienced this stuff continually my entire life and have been able to kind of hone what that feeling feels like. And if you haven't ever felt it before, you have no frame of reference.
Speaker 1: So right, But for example, I mean I and just just to clarify, I mean, I would never assume that there is not a ghost in a haunted location or reputed to hunt location. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on. And if the answer is there's a ghost, then that's great. I don't you know, it doesn't matter me either way. But I guess the guess I guess what I'm trying to get is where is the line between saying I've looked at enough mundane phenomena and I can't explain it, therefore it must be X. Where do you draw that line? Because oftentimes people people just you know, they'll give up right away like, well, I don't know, must be a ghost. Well no, just because you don't know what it is, does not mean it's a ghost. That's a fallacy.
Speaker 5: I don't think you can really draw any kind of hard and fast line universally because it's so dependent on the situation. You know, if one person tells me, I think my house is haunted because of X y Z, and another person tells me, I think math is using the same X y Z. Depending on the people, I may or may not believe them. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, there's that too, and then there's also the the like I see a lot of paranoal investigations where the angle is they're going to try to help, and they go in and they try to gut do imagery to guide a ghost home. You know, guy goes to the light, and then somebody else might come to the same site and say, no, no, no, it's not a ghost. It's a demon. You need to do a cleansing ritual and a prayer. And it's like, well, okay, well what's really going on? And the skeptic comes in and says, okay, well, what exactly the lights are flickering, you know, or whatever. We try to look at each individual aspect of it, but but it is, it's a it's a tricky problem for everybody who's interested in the paranormal of how do you draw lines and clearly delineate what the appropriate response is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's kind of I look at it kind of like the psychiatric diagnostics where it's like, if you have five of the fifteen symptoms, you should see a healthcare professional kind of thing. Or if it's if it's you know, things are moving out of the corner of your eye, you're seeing sparklys and you have high tension power lines running over your house. That's one scenario. If you watched a book rise up and float across the room, or your child is saying that they're talking to a little boy in the corner. That's different for me. You know, I'm kind of paranoid, and I liked the air on the side of being overcautious. So if something looks like it's possibly you know, one, two, or three, I will do whatever is necessary to get rid of the strongest one of those things. Because whatever we'll get rid of the stronger one, we'll get rid of the weaker ones.
Speaker 2: So you try the shotgun approach.
Speaker 5: Or I tend to go with the nuke and page most of the time, I air on the side of overkill. I've gotten a lot better in the last few years than I was when I was younger and terrified of everything.
Speaker 2: So how does it is living with a skeptic problematic or you'll just leave that part of things out, or.
Speaker 5: We'll be been together for a really long time. So he's kind of used to it. He tries not to make on of me too much. Well, I try not to poison.
Speaker 1: That sounds fair. Yes, you've come to a good a good arrangement there, especially considering that you remember the bar.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I was gonna say the in uh you know, and where it's monster talk, not marriage talk. But I tell my wife, like, you know, we live together. You know, sniping at each other is not a good idea because the targets are always here.
Speaker 5: You know. I'm also a trained mediator, so I'm pretty good at liaising things.
Speaker 1: Well, because when I've talked to to you know, ghost hunters typically people who are somewhat less skeptical than I am, And I've run into psychicmediums or whatever else, and they they they they believe they're communicating with ghosts, and I can't. I of course can't prove or disprove that because they're saying I'm sensing something and it's telling me something, well, I.
Speaker 5: Call it unverified personal nosis exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: But I had an interesting discussion with when an invest to get up in Ontario a while back, and I suggested to him that there needed to be more scientic methodologies introduced into ghost hunting. And one of the ways that I thought we might do this would be to have people who claim to be able to communicate with ghosts and meetings whatnot, have them do set up some double blind tests and have them go to different locations, some of which are reputed to contain ghosts and some of which are not, and just have you know, have a set of you don't know, eight, ten, twelve different mediums, whatever it would be statistically significant, and just go in there and say, you know, are you picking up anything here? And if one of them says, yes, oh my god, there was a six year old girl that was murdered here twenty years ago and her spirit is hunting the hallway, another person says nothing at all. Another person says, you know, I'm only getting an old man who died, you know, in a car accident. I mean, you put, that's one way to go about it. I don't know that anyone's really done that, and I'm not sure why that is. Do you think that would be viable uh effort?
Speaker 5: You know? Okay, now here, I have a personal prejudice against mediums. I don't think getting a group of mediums to go through a house would tell you anything about the house. It would tell you a lot about the mediums.
Speaker 1: I would agree.
Speaker 5: And I also believe that different people have access to different energy frequencies. So one person might only get stuff from the faint past, some people might get stuff from the presence. Some people might be any weird ship from the future. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, no, fair enough. But if they're getting if they're getting verifiable information, I mean either either there was a six year old that died in that house or there was not, And if there was not, is wrong medium? Well yeah, and that's and that would be the whole point would be Yeah, I mean, you're exactly right, it's not gonna tell anything about the house. But if the question is, can can dis bird mediums come up with the same verifiable information? I mean, so far in my research the answer is almost certainly no. But although I'm open, I'm open minded to it. I mean, if they can do it, then let's test it. But that's I think. I think you're exactly right. They wouldn't tell anything about the house. It would definitely tell you whether any of these people are coming up with with legitimate, verifiable information at a rate higher than you would expect.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, the other thing with mediums is the other reason I'm not a huge fan of mediums is that I don't necessarily think all mediums are picking up on what's there. I think some of them are calling things that might show up while they're there and then go away. Again. I have no way of proving this pet theory, but okay, because I don't, I have never met a medium that impressed me.
Speaker 2: B yog. Yeah, if I could.
Speaker 5: I summon forth a ghost? Yeah? Yeah, I could. Would I know it's completely unethical and stupid, but.
Speaker 1: I guess the question is could you could you summon a ghost that that would make its presence known to skeptics?
Speaker 5: Probably not?
Speaker 1: And but why why would that be? Would that be because the ghost would refuse or what? Why why would that be?
Speaker 5: One? If I was a person and I got some in someplace I didn't want to go. I would not perform like a trained bear. So there's that aspect. And you know, when I experienced a ghost, it is the most incredibly faint back of your brain, shadowy weirdness that I can possibly express. It is not a concrete thing. I have had experiences where I looked in a corner, saw something and it had two people next to me immediately turn and look at it, and each one describe half of what I just saw. I have had that experience and it freaked me out. So yes, there are some ghosts that can come solid enough to make themselves known. Is it repeatable in any kind of scientifically proven way? Certainly not in my experience. And I completely accept the fact that most of the things that I believe were things that I could never prove to anybody else. And I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: Well, does that pose a problem to you coming from a legal background, if you had to like prove these things in court? And do you think of things that if you don't think of it in terms of skeptic believer type, do you think of it in terms of legal burdener proof kind of ways?
Speaker 5: You know, I have a whole thing about you can't do banishings unless you have standing in a court of law kind of thing. The legal brain does come in on occasion for this kind of thing. It's really more that I'm very scientific. I mean, I did a lot of computer programming. I've always been a big geek. MythBusters is my favorite TV show kind of thing where the fact that there is no tendently verifiable, repeatable way of testing this stuff that I've ever seen used reliably means that we don't have the technology to do it yet. Because I know in my experience that certain things exist. Can I prove it? No? Do I think someday we may have the ability technologically to verify I think sure. But I could say the same thing about the Lawless Monster and UFOs and you know Paris Hilton's soul.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but no, well no, but you know, but I mean, I don't know about Paris Hilton. But there's no There's another element here, which is that is that you know, as you know, there are already people who claim and I've met many of them, and I'm sure you have as well. They are already ghost hunters and ghosts investigators who claim that they are the equipment they're using, whether it's cameras, infrared, take a pick, that they are already detecting ghosts and they are detecting spirits. So see, you can't really have it both ways. On one hand saying well, the reason we don't have a good evidence for these things that we haven't evolved the technology yet. But on the other hand, you have all these people who are who are pointing to orbs and and you know, cold spots and this and that and saying or emf variations and saying that this is a ghost.
Speaker 2: So actually say, as Emily made a she stayed a position on the use of equipment, I didn't hear you.
Speaker 1: I was I wasn't asking her to defend it. I'm just I'm just pointing out that that we have this, you know, on Yeah, they kind of want to have it both ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, that's absolutely true. I have never used ghost hunting equipment, so I don't have a real hands on kind of a pinion on it. I would have to see more than what I have seen on television to really have a lot of faith in it. You know, if you see an object moving and there's nobody there, you've captured something is that necessarily a ghost? Not necessarily, but you've.
Speaker 1: Keptured probably depending on what it.
Speaker 5: Is, you know, it all depends, you know, And with the kinds of you know, post production editing techniques that are available today. Unless I was there and could see the entire post production process, I don't know that I would believe it even if I was seeing it. You know. That's the problem with man made tools is we are interpreting the data and you can't have a double blind with a ghost hunter. You know, when you watch like some of these shows, some of them are relatively rigorous about, you know, saying, oh, look that fluorescent light bulb is giving off an EMF field of fifty or whatever, and the other one's going, oh my god, there was a noise. It must be a demon. So I have yet to meet people that use them that I've known enough to have respect for to say yes or no. Is it possible? Sure? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you this, the of all the of the creatures that you talk about, the spirits and the vampires and all these different things and including ghosts, is it your opinion that they want themselves to be known or they don't want themselves to be known.
Speaker 5: I think it depends on what works best to their advantage. Some of them really like scaring people, and so if they can just be up just enough that you know something's wrong but you don't know what, that might be better for them than for them for you to know exactly what's going on. Certain other ones might be you know, a ghost with physics visions that needs you to, you know, dig a box out of the wall. They want you to know that they're there and to do what they need you to do. It really really depends and.
Speaker 1: Well, because it seems to me that that you know, if if a if you know, if collectively the spirits or these entities or even one particular one, one particular ghost really really wanted to prove its its its existence and wanted to I mean, there are ways that this could be done. I mean, I I there's just so much, particularly when you're talking about ghosts, there's so much very nominal, ambiguous stuff and that and that, you know, if I mean, I was doing a ghost out one time and I was talking to a guy there and he's like, well, you know what will convince you that there there's ghosts here? And I said, well, there's a Grandfather clock over there. If that, you know, did some tumbling in the air and right in front of me and there's no one near it, I would say that's pretty good evidence. And so I don't think it's that skeptics. So so I guess part part of my question is is that, you know, it just seems curious that that all the ghosts so far U at least the ones that I'm aware of, they they they just give little tidbits, little hints. They don't they don't. They either don't exist, or they they don't or they they're they're teasing for some unknown reason. Because if he seems to me, if they really wanted to clearly make themselves known, same thing with Bigfoot or UFOs or extra tractics, if they if they're like, I want humanity to know that we exist, then they could have done that. By now.
Speaker 5: I think that's probably true for ghosts. You know, I don't know that they necessarily have the amount of energy necessary to do that kind of thing. You know, on Q is it has some ghosts throughout history had that ability. Sure, probably I would imagine, you know, are some of these creatures capable of doing that? Yeah, is it in their you know, best interest to do so? Not necessarily.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but at that point, you're reading the mind of a ghost, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well is exactly what you're asking me to do.
Speaker 2: Though. I was to say, you're kind of saying that though, I mean, you're we're kind of describing human intent on something that we can't even prove.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but that happens all the time where someone says, well, the reason, you know, the reason this this ghost appeared to me was, I mean, people ascribe reason human reasons to ghosts all the time.
Speaker 2: That sure they do.
Speaker 1: It's warnings.
Speaker 5: I'm supposed to be dead people. Therefore they are human and think humanly.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: I can't describe the same kind of motivations to you know, a gin or a lenin she that you would to a ghost.
Speaker 1: Well, there's also never were, But there's also non human ghosts.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of non human metaphysical entities like.
Speaker 2: Dog ghosts or horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's stage ghosts, there's train ghosts, and those.
Speaker 2: Residuals which are broken down here. Yeah. Interesting anyway, Okay, so clearly you know we're skeptics, obviously, you know that's cool and and I want to say, I really appreciate you coming on and talking to us, because I think I would say, I'm guessing our audience is probably ninety percent skeptical people. And then you know passers by who get interested in a particular topic. You know, as each episode is on a particular monster type. So here we're doing a why a range of monsters, and your book covers all kinds of monsters. And again, although I'm a skeptic and don't necessarily believe the contents of your book, I did find it very fun reading it, so I'm excited to have it as part of my library.
Speaker 1: And Blake, let me just say that that just you know, whether you believe what you wrote or not, if you encounter these things.
Speaker 5: I will say, you will be testing exactly what to do.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you one more thing this you may even if you may find interesting.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: While I don't know if any of your spells work or not, I can guarantee you that when you talked about quantum energy earlier, you made half my audience's head explode.
Speaker 5: We have several classes on quantum physics at the grade school in our magical.
Speaker 2: Science there with the other half of my audience. So it's like for them when they hear someone who's on the new age side of things talk about quantum energy, it's like an it guy hearing his grandma asking about Linux device drivers.
Speaker 5: It's I think I came on the show. We're not all crazy people with tinfoil hats. I swear some of us are totally normal weirdos.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, and you fit right in.
Speaker 2: All right. So here's my question for you that we always like to ask our guests. What's your favorite monster? Hmm? It could be any kind of depends on the day. That's why.
Speaker 5: At the moment, I think the Wild Hunt is my favorite. Okay, okay, just so unfathomable. I love it now.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to like Okay, I don't want to be wrong. I hate being wrong on my own show. But that's isn't that like a spectral event that happens sometimes we're Yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: It's a big horde of special writers that you know, depending on which country and folklore you're looking at, are either going to come down to you know, sweep up the souls of the bad deep, or just to run down whomever happens to be on their road at night.
Speaker 2: The classes don't be caught on the moors at night kind of things, right, So.
Speaker 5: Exactly like I think in like Sweden, there are certain roads that are old and completely defunct that they refuse to kind of like re root because it's the root of the wild hunt nice, cool, good as I just think it's the most fascinating experience. And because in America we have the ghostwriter phenomenon, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I've always wanted to see Will of the Whisp too, which just speaking of swamp I.
Speaker 5: Have seen those. It's weird. It's really weird, particularly when you're not anywhere near swamp gas.
Speaker 2: Would you, I was gonna say, would you classify that as a supernatural event or a natural event? When you saw it? What did it look like? Something that was mundane or are you know?
Speaker 5: I have seen some weird, weird stuff in my time. I have to have Internet action of it did not seem natural to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, the way it moved.
Speaker 5: It moved at like weird spastic right angles with reading speeds, which to me does not seem natural. Could be sure, but it didn't seem that way to me.
Speaker 2: I love swamp fishing, and I spent a lot of time in the summertime at night, you know, out at the swamps fishing, wishing so badly that I would see something like that and there were sausages, and so that's my bad luck, all right. So what do you have anything else upcoming in the future, new books or other projects you're working on.
Speaker 5: I'm writing my second book, which will be even more credulous than the first or.
Speaker 1: Now man book now.
Speaker 5: Now, the my second book that I'm writing is kind of for people, kind of that other people will already go to when there are problems, kind of an advanced book, so pretty much I teach it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, if my listeners want to get to the Gray School and take one of your magical defense classes, where would they go.
Speaker 5: It's www dot Gray School dot com. And you can go to my website, which is, you know, www dot e diet Dashcarlin dot com. You can email me Emily at Dashcarlin dot com. And uh, I'm happy to talk to skeptical people. I have no problem talking to people that actually think they make me happy as opposed to the opposite.
Speaker 1: That's why you wanted to have you on, because I could tell just from from the book. I'm like, you know what, I think she'd be fun to talk to, and I was right.
Speaker 2: So there, this was very entertaining and I really appreciate you coming on. I always worry that I don't want to get a bad reputation with people who believe in the paranormal. Uh you know, if you know, I don't see enough proof, but I've had lots of interesting experiences and I just I'm it's really nice. So thank you very much for stating some time with us.
Speaker 1: It was good, fun, cool, awesome, good luck with the book.
Speaker 2: Thanks Morebstertle. Thanks for listening to this episode of Monster Talk. You heard Blake Smith, My Ealth and Ben Radford interview author Lawyer and which Emily Carlin about her book Defense against the Dark. A link to Emily's website and her book will be in the show notes at monster talk dot org orskeptic dot com. I want to thank everyone for their continued support of our transcript project. We have several episodes up now and these transcripts help us in several ways, including helping people find the information from our show using search engines, making the episodes more easily referenceable. On Wikipedia and for use in a future video project, which I'm going to be doing. If eleven people donate five dollars, it pays for a transcript, which is fantastic and I really appreciate all the people who've helped with this. If you can't afford such a donation and you still want to help us tell other people about our show, we'd love to have new listeners or give us a positive review on iTunes and help strangers find us. And thanks again to everyone who contributed to the munster Talk t shirt contest. We had some fantastic interries and we're just judging them now. The finalists will be posted on our Facebook page and you'll be able to contribute your own votes and comments, which will be a factor in the final selection. More on that later. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine, and the content of the show does not necessarily reflect the views of the Skeptic Society or of Skeptic Magazine. Monster Talk's theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys, and really thank you very very much for listening.
Speaker 3: I want to stay abreast of the latest from Skeptic Magazine and the Skeptic Society. Want cutting edge skeptical articles delivered straight to your inbox every week. Then subscribe to E Skeptic, the free electronic newsletter of the Skeptic Society. Visits skeptic dot com to sign up.
Speaker 1: All right, how's my audio testing?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: It's good now check check check check check check check, check.
Speaker 2: Off, check off, cough check off.
Speaker 1: Oh, good time.