Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Good morning, it is the Bill Handle show. Bill just started a vacation. He is going to be in Italy this week and in and around Verona. And it's probably just a coincidence that that's also where they are holding the ICFA, the International Convention of Furreys and Admirers. That's just I'm sure it's just a coincidence. Neil Savedra is off just for today. He will be back tomorrow. Wayne Resnick's's filling in until nine o'clock and some of the stories we're watching for you at KFI. Just not even two weeks after Hurricane Helen made landfaf Florida residents are going.
Speaker 1: To get hit again Hurricane Milton, which.
Speaker 2: At last check was a Category four hurricane.
Speaker 1: Amy King.
Speaker 2: At any point I'm talking about this and I say that, and it's been changed.
Speaker 1: You can just bar right in Will to give us the latest. Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's going to almost certainly hit the Gulf coast of Florida somewhere in the next couple of days. And what it'll do after that is anybody's guess at this point. And the Supreme Court has opened a new term this week. They have a lot of things that they are going to hear, and I picked three of them for you, kind of big cases that are going to affect a lot of people, some of them dealing with questions that have never been dealt with before at the Supreme Court level. And one of them involves and this is really appropriate because it's spooky season. And I know it's spooky season because everybody keeps telling me it's spooky season. And also because there are several businesses, longtime businesses that sadly have closed around where I live, and every one of them this is not an exaggeration, because I'm not trying to be funny. There were three kind of big, bigger box businesses that went out of business. All three of them are right now spirit Halloweens. So and that's how I know it's spooky season. And the Supreme Court is going to take up the issue of ghost guns. These are guns you put together yourself, and therefore you don't have to do a background check, they don't have to have a serial number. You buy the parts, you can buy these part kits, and you assemble these guns yourself. And the law has been that you don't have to do anything. And then the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives made a like, it's not really a ruling because they're not a court. I guess they made a policy decision that ghost guns will be treated like regular.
Speaker 1: Guns, like a live guns that aren't haunting you.
Speaker 2: And therefore that means you will have to pass a background check, and you will. You can build your own gun, but it'll have to have a serial number on it that can be traced. And an appeals court said, oh no, you don't. They can't do that. The ATF cannot make that happen. So now the Supreme Court has been asked by the government to weigh in, and I mean, given the way they've gone recently, I would not be surprised if they rule in favor of keeping ghost guns spooky. On the other hand, it is going to boil down to something very dry and boring, which is the definition of a firearm under federal law, and whether a firearm that you have put together yourself is a firearm. It kind of seems like it probably is. Then the Court is going to hear a case out of Tennessee. Although there are over twenty states that have a similar situation going on, but this one they're gonna hears out of Tennessee, and it has to do with a law there that bans gender transition treatments for minors, so puberty blockers or hormone hormone therapy or gender affirming surgery. I don't know how much of that is really going on with miners. But the other thing, the medications definitely are used, and some of these drugs can be used to treat other issues that have nothing to do with the gender identity. And so a federal judge said that law is unconstitutional, and then the appeals court said, oh, it's very constitutional. And now the Supreme Court will ultimately decide if you can ban this kind of treatment. There are three transgender young people are suing claiming it violates equal Protection clause.
Speaker 1: Now I'm gonna tell you I think about it.
Speaker 2: And first I'm gonna tell you I'm not an attorney in I didn't go to law school.
Speaker 1: And it's very important that I tell you that.
Speaker 2: Number one, so that you don't think that I'm trying to practice law without a license or anything. But also because what I'm about to say is so smart that if I didn't warn you, you might be fooled. You would be fooled and assume that not only am I an attorney, but I'm a brilliant attorney. But I'm not even an attorney. There's a very good argument that this law does violate the equal protection clause because it is a law that is based on sex classification, which is illegal. And here's why. If you were born female and for whatever the reason, you are given certain hormone treatments.
Speaker 1: Or puberty blockers, that's fine.
Speaker 2: But if you were born a female and now you're being given the same drugs to deal with your gender identity, then the law is discriminating against you because of the gender you were born relative to what they're trying to do with the medication. Whether or not you can get certain treatments is based on what gender you were born, and generally speaking, laws that discriminate based on what gender you were born are unconstitutional.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty strong argument.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean it will prevail, obviously, And the other big case they're going to hear is whether these states can require you to identify yourself and that you are over eighteen in order to look at porn online. They're gonna hear the law out of Texas. But there's many states that have passed these porn id laws. Notice where they are, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Virginia. I believe Georgia recently passed one, and then also Montana and Utah. And you know what, Okay, protecting children is a very valid governmental interest. So the question is not going to be do these states have a point? They have a point. The question is going to be, is this the least restrictive way to protect miners from seeing pornography online? And I don't know, because I don't know what other I don't know a least a less restrictive way to make sure that a miner doesn't see porn online other than to require that the person who wants to see porn online verify that they're not a minor.
Speaker 1: So we'll see where all of these things go, all right.
Speaker 2: A new investigation by the Civilian Oversight Commission, which oversees the LA County Sheriff's Department.
Speaker 1: About a previously unknown.
Speaker 2: Deputy group that a report says it's really more of a memo, but it's still information coming out of the Civilian Oversight Commission that says this group uses a logo that features Nazi like imagery.
Speaker 1: This memo.
Speaker 2: Was written by Sean Kennedy, a longtime member of the Civilian Oversight Commission. He described the group as currently active. He also said that this group that uses this Nazi like logo, which I'll describe to you in a moment. Sean Kennedy says, this group sometimes doesn't get along with another group of deputies at the Norwalk station that existed before this group, and the older group uses the logo of Wiley Coyote. So we used to not know of any such groups at the Norwalk station, and.
Speaker 1: Now we know there are at least two.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you're gonna get excited upset about a group of Shriff's deputies with a Wiley Coyote logo.
Speaker 1: I will say, guys, Wiley Coyote always loses. I don't know why he's.
Speaker 2: Your logo unless they unless it's meant to refer to the criminals that they catch.
Speaker 1: I guess it could be that, all right.
Speaker 2: The logo in question of this newer identified group that is described in this memo as being Nazi like. Here it is picture it in your mind. Okay, start with a skull. It's a skull, got it. Now, the skull has.
Speaker 3: Blood red eyes, maybe lowing blood red, looking at you with those blood red eyes, and then right through the skull a jagged bolt of lightning.
Speaker 1: Apparently, bolts of lightning have been.
Speaker 2: Connected to various neo Nazi and white supremacist movements. The Nazis, some of their groups used a single or double lightning bolt, like the SS, the Hitler Youth. Some modern day neo Nazi groups, like there's one called National Action, they use a lightning bolt. And that's why people are saying, oh, it's give me connotations of Nazimus in this deputy group.
Speaker 1: Now, why is this coming up? How did this happen?
Speaker 2: How did they find out about it? It happened because there was this incident where a deputy was beaten up by a transgender person. Wait, did I just say the deputy was beaten up by the transgender person? No no, no, no, no no no no, the opposite. The deputy beat up and then arrested a transgender person and then said that the victim had bit him bit the deputy. Now, prosecutors dropped the case against the victim. A judge earlier this year declared the victim factually in this sent and that's when it caught the eye of Sean Kennedy over at the Civilian Oversight Commission, who said, we should probably look into this because the sheriff deputy beat up a transgender person.
Speaker 1: And then and also lied. That's their belief is that he lied.
Speaker 2: And so in the course of investigating that incident, they they discovered this group and the tattoos and the logo and the lightning and the blood.
Speaker 1: Red eyes and the bolt of lightning, and we will see what comes out of it.
Speaker 2: So there are other groups we know in the Sheriff's department, the executioners, there's the banditos, there's the regulators, there's the Little Devils. Notice I haven't mentioned the name of this newly discovered group with the skulled Lightning, bult blood Red Eye tet because I don't know what it is, because it's not in the memo.
Speaker 1: They didn't put the name of the group in the memo.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's on purpose for a reason, or Shohn Kennedy forgot, or he doesn't even know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But I can tell you one last thing very quickly before we get some news from Amy King. This issue of groups in the Sheriff's department that are possibly white supremacist or whatever has been going on for thirty years, at least thirty years. Back in ninety one, shortly after I joined with the FEDS, a judge, a federal judge here in La Terry Hatter Junior, had a case involving a group called the Lynnwood Vikings, a chair deputy group, which he found was a neo Nazi, white supremacist gang that used terrorist type tactics to violate people's civil rights. So this is this issue has been going on a long time through many administrations of the Sheriff's Department. Okay, I would like to ask the morning crew consisting of Ann and Amy and Kono, and let's be orderly here, so I will go. I guess I'll just ask you the same question, but one at a time. Have you received at least one letter in the mail? I'll start with Ann, all right, it's not exactly alphabetical based on the first name, but it's close. Have you received a letter in the mail notifying you that your data was breached from anybody.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have. Do you know how many you have received? I think I think only two? Two? Okay, more than one?
Speaker 2: Two is more than one though, all right, Amy King, same question. Yes, I know that at and T was one of them, and there was another one too, and I can't remember, so at least two two?
Speaker 4: Ooh Kono, same question. Yes, it's been multiple. One of them gave me a free credit checker. Oh yeah, I got to come your subscription to a free credit.
Speaker 1: Check Would you say more than six?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: All right, right around that? All right, you asked me.
Speaker 4: Now cono, So Wayne, have you had any mail that was your data was breached?
Speaker 1: Yeah? One on Saturday, making a total of eight. Wow. I have so many free.
Speaker 2: Sign ups for information monitoring by Kroll. You know, Kroll is a huge worldwide security company. I have. I have so many of them that I had to throw some of them away because you can't stack them consecutively. You can only use one. It just keeps happening over and over. And that is the world that we live in now. And if you have not received a letter in the mail telling you your data was a breach, it is only a matter of time.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: With that backdrop that this is happening to almost everybody. Comes this class action lawsuit on behalf of Disney employees who were hit with a data breach, and people are now that the employees are doing the company saying they didn't do enough to prevent the data breach or to notify the victims of the extent of the data breach.
Speaker 1: There are estimated.
Speaker 2: Thousands of people who could become part of this class action lawsuit, people who gave very sensitive personal information to Disney in connection with their employment. And it seems like a lot of these people are the people that work for the cruise line, the Disney Cruise Line. Because here's what happened. A hacking group called no Bulge released a bunch of data that they got null like a null set or null like nothing.
Speaker 1: Oh nulgulga bulge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what it means. I don't want to know what it means. They released their hacked data over eighteen thousand spreadsheets, thirteen thousand PDFs, forty four million in slack messages. The slack messages had sensitive information about these cruise employees, including passport numbers, visa details, their place of birth, their addresses, and actually Disney. Disney's not saying too much about it, but they apparently did say they were going to stop using slack. So that's one thing that happened now that only affects people who work for Disney. But letters are going out right now for a hack that has apparently impacted one out of every three of us, and by us in this case, I mean Americans. A company called Change Healthcare that you may never have heard of, that I had not heard of, but they're a tech company and they're owned by United Health, which you may have heard of, and there was a ransomware attack that interrupted services for thousands of doctors, hospitals, pharmacies. As I said, it impacted one in three Americans. And the CEO of United Hell said they paid, and he had to say it because it was in front of a Senate committee. They paid twenty two million dollars to the hackers. So if you haven't received a letter on that particular breach, you may already.
Speaker 1: Now. I have an idea.
Speaker 2: It's probably a bad idea, and maybe we've come too far, but the easiest way to tamp down on these problems is to simply not allow any company, for any reason to keep.
Speaker 1: Your social Security number, for example, you cannot have it. You can never mind, you can't keep it.
Speaker 2: We need to start agreeing that nobody can ask.
Speaker 1: For your social Security number.
Speaker 2: What about if you're applying for a credit card, or what if you're okay, We may have to find some limited exceptions, and then in those circumstances.
Speaker 1: They can't keep it. They can use.
Speaker 2: It briefly to do your credit check, and then they must destroy it. And the less data that these companies keep, the less problem a hack will be for us.
Speaker 1: And I know the real.
Speaker 2: Answer would be if they could do a better job of keeping the data safe.
Speaker 1: But they can't. You know why they can't.
Speaker 2: Okay, for one thing, you know, technology can only get you so far. Here's another reason, though, And everybody on this show it knows exactly.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.