Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Donald Trump acting yesterday like a candidate who has to make up ground.
Speaker 2: It's where we kick off Swamp watch. Swamp is horrible, The government doesn't work. Man, make it like a reality TV show, Bad Noos.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C.
Speaker 4: Hey Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 5: I have to watch you, malarkey.
Speaker 6: What he said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 1: I said, Oh, that's so hope, keepsh You know the thing, former president acknowledged that his opponent Kamala Harris is climbing. He's being out fundraised by Harris. He's fallen back in some battleground state poles. So he had withdrawn from the debate, and yesterday came out and said, I will debate. We're going debate September tenth.
Speaker 4: Matt printed out some of these betting odds two three weeks ago. They were heavily in Donald Trump's favor, and we talked about it after the assassination attempt after the Republican Convention.
Speaker 6: It appeared that it was his to lose.
Speaker 4: I mean, and some people still argue that it is his to lose because what we've seen in the polls so far could still be attributed to sort of the honeymoon phase for Kamala Harrison Tim Walls, and then of course they'll get another bump in the camp or the convention, because that's what happens.
Speaker 6: That's just baked in.
Speaker 2: She has yet to.
Speaker 1: Field any questions, and I think that was highlighted yesterday by him standing up there for an hour and fielding any question.
Speaker 2: That is really a big deal for her.
Speaker 1: And she talked about that yesterday afternoon about how she wants to have a sit down interview by the end of the month. Well, she said that on August eighth, by the end of the month, if she wanted to do an interview, she could have done one within.
Speaker 4: That half hour yesterday immediately immediately. She's got people, And here was the pushback from her campaign. Their pushback was, well, she speaks to reporters every day on Air Force two when she's traveling around the country for the campaign events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's America needs to have her field questions off a teleprompter in a national interview.
Speaker 4: It's different if she's sitting there holding a cup of tea and just you know, bssing with some of the people that have been around her for years. There has to be a certain amount of adversarial questioning for us to get a true gauge on who she is and what she believes, and what policies that she is going to implement implement when she becomes if she becomes the president, those are all important things.
Speaker 1: You have to ask yourself. What are they trying to hide here? I mean, they've hidden Joe Biden from us for a year and a half, by and large, what are they trying to hide with Harris not sitting down with ABC News or something.
Speaker 4: I do like to push back against the whole the mainstream media is in it for the Democrats because because I'm part of the that machine, I'm part of the mainstream media. But isn't it completely obvious that no one's gonna hold her feet to the fire.
Speaker 1: No no one said anything like, what do you mean the end of the month, Why don't you do it tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Right? No one said that. No one presses her on anything.
Speaker 4: The questions that she does get when she does these gaggles outside of Air Force two, either coming off the plane or getting back on the plane, or even backstage at some of these campaign events, is what do you think of that crowd?
Speaker 7: Huh?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 5: How about?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: World War III is inches away? What are we doing?
Speaker 6: What? You're the vice president.
Speaker 4: You're supposed to be the one who's in the room having these conversations.
Speaker 6: What are we doing?
Speaker 4: How can you calm America and make sure that we do not feel like the world is imploding around us?
Speaker 6: Not what a great day in Detroit?
Speaker 2: How do you like the weather, Madam Vice President?
Speaker 4: That stuff doesn't flo And it's too bad because it doesn't sound like anybody's holding her to it.
Speaker 2: What nothing.
Speaker 8: Is you?
Speaker 3: Woman?
Speaker 4: To play the other part of this, yeah, the guy was like, hey, helicopter, I.
Speaker 1: Want to hear from I want to hear about the riots, which right.
Speaker 4: Oh, so Tim Walls Okay, Tim Wall's wife.
Speaker 1: Gwen, remember the Black Lives Matter riots? This Their state was kind of the ground zero ground zero for those And this is a bizarre clip that's been shared on social media about Gwen.
Speaker 4: I was okay, So I was actually having a conversation with somebody yesterday about the summer of twenty twenty. This guy, small business owner, and we were talking about what we felt at that time about what was going on. I know plenty of people who up until that point were anti gun, who did not want to have weapons in the home, who all thought to themselves, now is the time that society is breaking down. I need to protect my family those That feeling of fear was real in many, many neighborhoods, regardless of color, ethnicity. There was a fear that we were watching things completely break down in front of us because they were calling for the defunding of the police, the disintegration of society, the anarchistic version of America. It was not a fun time to be around for Glen Walls, though she decided that this was a way for her to test sort of her own metal. She said in an interview, when she was reflecting on the riots of twenty twenty, she kept the windows open at her home because she could smell the burning tires and she needed it to remind herself of who she was and the position of privilege that she was in.
Speaker 8: I would say those first days, you know, when there were riots. I could smell the burning tires and that that was a very real thing. And I kept the windows open for as long as I could because I felt like that was such a touchstone of what was what was happening.
Speaker 1: I'm not understanding. So she wanted to take in the smell of the riot. She wanted to feel the burn so that she could have an understanding of what the riots were about. Is this some sort of look at me, I'm so woke victory lap self. I want to congratulation. My goodness. That's odd, you know what that is? It's weird.
Speaker 4: There's also a story, I haven't checked the veracity of this yet, but that their daughter was tipping off some of the protesters by posting things on Twitter guarding the movements of the National Guard of Minnesota.
Speaker 2: So they're tipping off the rioters.
Speaker 4: Yes, telling them where the piles of tires are burning, so that they could, you know, make y Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. There is a developing story out of South America. Media in Brazil has said that a plane that's able to carry dozens of passengers has crashed in sal Polo. It's not immediately clear how many people were in fact on board, but they said it did have a capacity of over sixty Local Firefighting Corps confirms that the plane did fall in the city of Vinhedo, but didn't offer any more details. The Globo News network in Brazil showed footage of a large area on fire and smoke coming out of an apparent plane fuselage. Additional footage showed a plane drifting downward vertically and like you said, spiraling, looked like a paper airplane.
Speaker 6: Just an awful, awful look at it.
Speaker 4: There was a speaking of planes scare for members of the Carolina Panthers last night. They played in the game against the Patriots preseason game. Flying back from that game late at night, their Delta Airlines plane landed at about two forty and then the plane overran the taxiway. Detail said that landing gear on the right side of the plane got off of the actual roadway, the taxiway, but otherwise it was a normal landing. They were able to get ladders or not ladders stairs out there and everything was everything was fine.
Speaker 5: Hey, Gary and Shannon, how's going?
Speaker 2: Just leave a message let you guys know.
Speaker 9: I'm in Portobayarta, sitting.
Speaker 2: On the beach listening to you nice.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful day out here.
Speaker 6: Love the show.
Speaker 3: Guys, have a great day. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Hey.
Speaker 4: I wanted to do this story because it is a DC tangent, and that is the follow up the more information about the assassination attempt to former President Trump, because we're getting more information from the officers, the local officers who.
Speaker 6: Were on the ground that day.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked about it yesterday. We got the audio from their body cams and it was in the moments after that at least one of the local officers said, I told the Secret Service about that building days ago.
Speaker 2: I told them that they need to man that.
Speaker 4: And it's his first words, at least in this of f's a lot of f's, but it was that was an f up.
Speaker 6: Somebody affed up.
Speaker 3: I'd say, this is a company. Why are we not on the roof? Why why were we?
Speaker 4: They need to post the guys.
Speaker 3: I told him that the Secret Service. I told them that Tuesday. I told him the post guys over here.
Speaker 4: Now this is it's going to take what weeks months for us to figure out who that guy thinks that he was talking to, who the Secret Service says was involved in those digital pre planning meetings that they had. All of that stuff has to be hashed out, but it regard and even if you put a name to it, even if you were able to put a name to who was involved in those early days meetings, this was I mean, the guy said it right.
Speaker 6: It was a complete f up from.
Speaker 4: The beginning, and it's unfortunate because it does not look good on what was otherwise a pretty esteemed agency in terms of their ability to do what they do.
Speaker 1: There has been a third arrest in connection with the foiled conspiracy to attack three now canceled Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna. The main suspect is a nineteen year old planned to target the onlookers gathered outside the stadium up to thirty thousand each night, were planning to be there another sixty five thousand people inside the venue. His plan was to use knives or home made explosives during the concert Thursday or Friday to kill as many people as possible. He was taken into custody early year in the week along with a seventeen year old. The third suspect is eighteen and a Rocky citizen, was arrested last night. A fifteen year old was also interrogated, but not arrested.
Speaker 4: He was interrogated but not arrested. So there's this small group of friends, all teenagers. It sounds like.
Speaker 1: Some just maybe guilt by association, but I think you're yeah.
Speaker 4: There was a quick update out of Paris. By the way, Breonna Stewart scored sixteen points. The US women's basketball team advanced their eighth consecutive gold medal game. They beat Australia early today. Spoiler alert. I guess I'm supposed to say spoiler alert. First, they extended their area.
Speaker 2: You have to play sirens.
Speaker 4: Their Olympic wedding streak now to sixty games, sixty consecutive games that the American women have won. They'll face either France or Belgium on Sunday and then closing ceremonies come up on Sunday night.
Speaker 5: Playing.
Speaker 1: So, with dozens of passengers on board, sixty two has crashed in Brazil. We're getting just little pieces here and there about what's going on on the ground. Local media reporting that yeah, sixty two people were on board, that there was a large cloud of black smoke after the plane could be seen crashing into trees in South Paulo the state fire brigades and several crews have been sent to the crash site, but so far no word on casualties.
Speaker 4: But they said it also crashed into multiple homes on the ground. Oh wow, i'ld be a problem. Paramount Global took a six billion dollar right down on its cable TV business the day after Warner Brothers Discovery did the same thing for nine billion. Both of those companies have been saying that their streaming vets are going to make up for those losses, but Paramount Global stock tanked twelve percent in the after hours trading yesterday despite posting a profit for the streaming portion. Warner Brothers Discovery fell nine percent, down to an all time low after its earnings release.
Speaker 1: Well one year later, the high community still trying to rebuild following those massive wildfires that killed more than one hundred people, destroyed homes, businesses, cultural sides, all of it. Steve Gregory was there in the aftermath and joins us now about where the people of Maui there and the Heina are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's been a very very slow recovery process. More than fifteen hundred families have left the island after the fires because they had no place to live. Housing's been the biggest challenge right now because after the fires destroyed twenty two hundred buildings and homes. First things first, they had to get EPA in there to do a cleanup because there was a lot of toxic debris around there, a lot of dangerous chemicals from cars and other businesses. And after it got the ok from the EPA. Simultaneously they were trying to figure out where are the displaced families because, if you might from a year ago, no one knew the exact number of how many were missing. No one had checked in. There was a big problem with accounting for everyone who lived in Lahina. So as soon as they were able to figure that out, then they had to figure out who has housing who does not have housing. They estimate now that there are twelve thousand people without homes, and that still is a very very big challenge on the housing side. The governor declared that hotels and other smaller motels and short term rentals were all to be used for housing these individuals, but it's been very slow going because a lot of those people.
Speaker 3: Are tired of living in temporary housing.
Speaker 5: The rebuilding of homes has been.
Speaker 3: Very, very slow.
Speaker 5: Governor Josh Green said the first year was going to be about healing, the second year was going to be about recovery. And right now the only glimmer of hope that they have is that a settlement is on its way. Four billion dollars on top of any insurance money, will be split among six hundred claimants that have filed lawsuits against the the County of Maui, against Hawaiian Electric and against the State of Hawaii.
Speaker 6: Is that split evenly or is it going to depend on people's claims.
Speaker 3: I mean, the.
Speaker 5: Terms of that have not been disclosed. It doesn't I assume that, as in any one of these cases that either they're going to approach it as an individual need, like did someone lose their entire home or was someone's home damaged? Did someone lose a loved one in the fire. I think it's all going to boil down to, you know, what was the significance of loss. And here's the really sad part about that kind of insurance payoffs the same thing when someone gets.
Speaker 3: You know, hurt on the job or dismembered.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, insurance companies have formulas already intact that will tell you well, you know.
Speaker 3: You lost an arm, so you won't be able to work this sign.
Speaker 5: So an arm is about seventy five thousand dollars a year or something along those lines, just for example sake. So it's presumed that each of the families are going to be looked at individually based on their total loss.
Speaker 4: When you talk about the the financials obviously are important, but there's a social aspect to it too, And I assume that when you were there last year in the aftermath of it, that that was probably one of the harder things that people were trying to cling on to, was that sense of community that exists there.
Speaker 5: Well, in fact, that sense of community Gary is what kept most of those people alive and kept them moving forward because a lot of those people that live on the island of Maui are workers. They are laborers. You know, some of them have four jobs to make ends meet. Because cost of living there is astronomical and you can thank a lot of the transplants over there. Your celebrities and your A listers will like to go over there and call it home. They have driven up the price of everything. Meanwhile, when you're living paycheck to paycheck and you don't have anything in the savings and then you lose your home in your car and you're left with nothing. All they had was community, and that's really what kept a lot of those people afloat.
Speaker 1: They're really good at that to My sister in law lives there, and she remember when my husband and I first started dating, and he would say, yeah, my sister is he's house guests and oh who are they? And oh, a friend of a friend. I mean, that's how Hawaiians are. It's like, you know, she didn't even know these people and they're living at her house because she knew someone that they knew.
Speaker 2: And that's just what you do. You open your doors to people.
Speaker 5: There the aloha spirit, right, it's ohana.
Speaker 2: We could use a little bit of that around here, don't you think we could.
Speaker 3: Have used a lot of that around there?
Speaker 5: But the beautiful thing is the beautiful thing is watching this community bounce back. It reminded me a lot of New Orleans when I was down there for Petrina and watching that town come back. It has the same kind of fabric when it comes to not only culture but taking care of each other.
Speaker 3: Because there were a lot of.
Speaker 5: Very low income people in New Orleans that were also laborers and workers, and they too lost a lot after that hurricane and watching them and to this day, remember how long ago that happened. That was in five and there are still families totally whole and totally complete from that disaster, and they estimated it's going to be up to ten years before people are going to be fully.
Speaker 3: Back to where they were.
Speaker 4: Where does Maui stand when it comes to tourism, Obviously that's an incredibly important industry for them. Are they welcoming everyone back or is there still limits on what they can do?
Speaker 5: Fairly early on, they didn't want anyone over there. In fact, they were canceling flights and stopping flights from going over there because they didn't want the additional bodies because frankly, what they were doing is the burn zone became the tourist attraction, and that's what they were trying to avoid. They didn't want the extra people over there, and frankly, there weren't enough workers to handle the infrastructure, you know, waiters and servers, and they just didn't have enough people for hotels, and so they just didn't want that crush of people. And there was still a school of thought where they don't want a lot of people over there because they're still sort of reeling from that impact and kind of how it hurt, hurt families and how it hurt the workers, and they don't want all those people over there.
Speaker 3: It's just it was kind of inconvenient.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, there's another group of people saying, listen, we got to bounce back financially, and this money coming from the government ain't gonna last forever, so we have got to start that revenue machine back up again. So it is still a big conflict over there. If you check flights, they're still fairly cheap to get over there. Hotels are fairly cheap. There's one faction of people over there that want the tourism and there's another faction that doesn't.
Speaker 2: All right, Steve, thank you for the update.
Speaker 3: You got it, guys, take care.
Speaker 9: I remember hearing on a favorite radio station a while back. A new law has been passed that hawking the horn in any way other than to avoid a collision is now a sightable offense.
Speaker 6: Oh am, I wrong.
Speaker 4: Technically, you're right, but that's where and we're asking you to be judicious in your honk your horn honking.
Speaker 2: So We've been having people break the law all day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and all vehicle code says that honking the horn is only permissible as a warning and it's only to be done one time. Continuous or prolonged honking is considered a violation and could lead to criminal penalties.
Speaker 1: Really now, I want people to honk honk even more. Let's break the law today. Well there, and many of these people that have been calling in have been from other states. S vernes El, Is that right?
Speaker 6: What did you say it right? You didn't do the at the end?
Speaker 2: I did not?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 1: Do you really want to hear me do that? My voice is annoying as it.
Speaker 6: Is excellent point.
Speaker 4: A plane with sixty two people on board has crashed into a residential area of a city in Brazil, sou Polo State. The president had said that sixty two people were killed the fifty eight passengers and four crew. We don't know what caused this yet, but also they said fire crews are working in a residential area full of houses, so some of the people on the ground may have also been heard or heard or killed.
Speaker 1: The cell phone video from the ground shows the propeller powered plane spiraling like you said in a flat spin falling from the sky. It's very eerie. I mean, all plane crashes are, but the way that people are able to get that footage, you know.
Speaker 4: Even the Associated Press now says that the thing that's been missing from Kamala Harris's rise as the Democratic choice for president is contact with reporters. AP said she hasn't given an extended interview to a journalist since her change in status. They did catch up to her yesterday and as if she was going to get back onto Air Force two. She was asked about a longer form interview, when she would sit down or at least have a news conference and answer questions from reporters, and she said, well, she's talking to her team and they want to have something on the schedule by the end of the month.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: And why nobody double took when she said that and said, what do you mean by the end of the month.
Speaker 2: It's August eighth. It's weird.
Speaker 6: I would tell her if I was on her team, and I'm not. You got to do something before the convention.
Speaker 1: Just do it, Just do it today, do it tomorrow. What's the big deal? I mean, she's not a complete moron. She's not gonna. I don't know what are they trying to hide? What are they afraid of? I mean, every moment cannot be perfect and cannot be choreographed. That's just not the way that the world works, and that's the way that they're operating. Did you hear this about Robert Downey Junior and iron Man potentially having a cameo and Deadpool and Wolverine.
Speaker 6: That he I didn't see it if it was there, well.
Speaker 2: Because no, he turned it down.
Speaker 1: But is that because of the metaverse or whatever.
Speaker 6: It's called the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where you.
Speaker 1: Can play with the timeline, So even though iron Man's dead, you can kind of screw around with it because that's what they do.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, I know what they're talking about.
Speaker 6: Okay, Mondo.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's a scene where he's talking Happy, who was Stark's assistant.
Speaker 6: Right, played by John Favreau. Yeah, Fabreuau.
Speaker 7: And there is a picture of Tony Stark with Tom holland Spider Man in the background, and you can see Tony Stark's fingers like he's given a peace sign, and that's what that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, he could have been that could have just that would that's in line with him being killed though, right like.
Speaker 2: That was a picture from what he was alive.
Speaker 1: But they say that he turned down a chance to reprise his role as Iron Man for a cameo. Ryan Reynolds read the scene with Downey Junior, which he eventually passed on, and the writer added it was the only know they got.
Speaker 6: That's strange.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the writer said they had no idea that Downey Junior would actually be returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Doctor Doom. I feel like I just lost like sixteen brain cells. It's like just fell out the back.
Speaker 6: Of my head, leaked out.
Speaker 4: We told you earlier as well that the Burning Man tickets have not been going The ticket sales have not been going well, and you brought something up actually when we were talking about the other day.
Speaker 6: I didn't know you had to buy tickets, but I guess.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a it's a permitted land, like it's federal property, I believe, so there is some sort of permitted process that you have to go through.
Speaker 1: But people are spending thirty thousand dollars to go to this thing.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, just to get on is just to get on the properties like five hundre in seventy five bucks.
Speaker 1: Apparently they have a low income ticket and I don't know how you qualify for that if you have to figure if you have to fill out some sort of loan application or something. But they do have a low income ticket for under three hundred dollars.
Speaker 6: Oh great, then let me stay in that camp.
Speaker 1: If you're qualifying for the low income ticket, don't spend three hundred dollars to go to Burning Man.
Speaker 6: And I wish this is.
Speaker 4: A weird thing. It's become so commercial, right has Burning Man? They do stories about it every year. We talk about it all the time. There are now major I don't know if you'd call them sponsors, but there are big corporate names that show up out there. If it was just one of those crazy things that we never really heard too much about and stayed mysterious. Think of the Bohemian Grove something like that, do we really know whatever really goes on in places like that? I would have preferred Burning Man stay that way. We know way too much about what happens out there.
Speaker 2: We do like the sex tents and things.
Speaker 6: I think those are cuddle tents.
Speaker 1: Well, that's there's the sex tent, and then there's the cuttle tent, and then there's the orgy tent.
Speaker 2: What is Bohemians row between the sex tent and the orgy tent.
Speaker 1: The orgy tent is where you have sex with multiple people at the same time. The sex tent is where you just go if you want to go have sex with, like you, your partner, or.
Speaker 2: Somebody you meet.
Speaker 6: Ah okay.
Speaker 1: And then there's the cuddle tent company, Oh, why do you let me continue to talk like a crazy person?
Speaker 2: Strangers in the hall are trending stories.
Speaker 4: Nathanson is going to join us, and of course what you learned this week on The Gary and Shannon Show and our nine newsnuggets you need to know is still twelve o'clock hours coming around on the Gary and Shannon Show. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.