Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio Line. It is Tuesday, February eleventh, twenty twenty five, and it is True Crime Tuesday, which means we will be telling you the tale of the ghosts of Highway twenty in rural Oregon.
Speaker 2: And my connection to the story that I found out last night.
Speaker 3: You're not the killer, are you?
Speaker 2: No? They arrested again and he died in prison.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thanks for spoiling the story.
Speaker 4: No, no, I mean he can't tell the full story. Okay, you never mind.
Speaker 3: Okay, apparently there's no danger and the killer is dead.
Speaker 2: I don't want people driving.
Speaker 1: You're really taking this sizle out of the true crime.
Speaker 4: There is a developing story that's happening right now that kind of leads us into swamp Watch. But an American teacher detained by Russia is coming back to American soil. President Trump, Steve Whitcoff, and the President's advisors apparently negotiated in exchange that allows Mark Fogel, an American detained by Russia, to come home. Mark Fogel is a history teacher from Pennsylvania who was serving a fourteen year prison sentence after he was arrested in August of twenty twenty one at a Russian airport for being in possession of drugs, which his family and his supporters have said was medically prescribed marijuana.
Speaker 2: They don't care.
Speaker 4: He was designated as wrongfully detained by the US government. A former CIA station chief and Dan Hoffman no relation, called the release a major foreign policy success. He was on Fox a few minutes ago and said, any time we're able to extract one of our citizens from behind enemy lines in Russia, good on the administration for doing this. Steve Whitcoff has got a lot on his plate right now dealing with the Middle East, and it's incredibly impressive to me that on top of that, he was able to secure the release of Mark Fogel, the.
Speaker 1: Former ambassador to cat Canada is talking about the possibility of Canada becoming our fifty first state.
Speaker 3: That's where we kick off swamp one.
Speaker 2: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar. And when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 1: The other side never quits what what.
Speaker 2: I'm not going anywhere.
Speaker 3: So that is how you train the squat.
Speaker 2: I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by.
Speaker 3: What has been.
Speaker 6: You know, Americans have always been going act president, but they're not stupid.
Speaker 4: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Whether people voting for you were not swamp watch, They're all Canada.
Speaker 1: David Cohen was Biden's ambassador, arrived in Canada in twenty twenty one to repair relationships after Trump's first term. He's back in Philly, no longer bound by the Hatch Act, which of course engages you or keeps you from engaging in partisan politics. He says that the repeated idea of Canada as a fifty first state is puzzling to me at best.
Speaker 3: But as to whether the US might use.
Speaker 1: Its military to make it happen, he says he's learned never to say never. He believes that Trump's idea about making Canada a state is just an empty threat. Oh, even after the tariffs were announced, even after concerns about illegal immigration and fentanyl and all of these things, it's not going to happen, sadly probably.
Speaker 4: President Trump today is hosting King Abdullah the Second of Jordan, and President Trump digs in on his vision for somehow the US taking over the Gaza strip. He met in the Oval Office with King Abdullah along with his son and heir. The President remained pretty adamant the Palestinians don't want to live in Gaza and won't want to live in Gaza, and would welcome relocating them to Jordan, to Egypt, to other Arab nations in that Middle East.
Speaker 5: With the United States being in control of that piece of land, a fairly large piece of land, you can have stability in the Middle East for the first time, and the Palestinians or the people that live now in Gaza will be living beautifully in another location. They're going to be living safely. They're not going to be killed, murdered and having to leave every ten years.
Speaker 4: The President again insisted that the United States would have that was this word, we would have Gaza, but he didn't explain who we would have it from, how we take it.
Speaker 2: It didn't explain any of that.
Speaker 4: But he did get some pushback kind of from King Abdullah the Second, the King of Jordan's sought to temper expectations, saying that Egypt and other Arab nations do expect to present a proposal to the United States, but not just yet. In an attempt to slow Trump's role on this whole thing, he said, this is something that we as Arabs will be coming to the United States with something that we're going to talk about later and discuss all the options. It did say they had a great conversation, that they will have more conversations throughout the day today and the expectation is they hold a news conference a little.
Speaker 2: Bit later too.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: He's not ending with his war on paper straws, the president, saying that plastic straws are going to be coming back because the paper ones don't just work, don't.
Speaker 3: Just don't just don't work.
Speaker 1: Today, he declared that his administration would revert back to incandescent light bulbs no longer made in the US. Toilets and shower heads will be changing as well. We will get the full strength, he wrote today online. I am here by instructing Secretary Lee Zelden to immediately go back to my environmental orders which were terminated by crooked Joe Biden on water standards and flow pertaining to sink showers, toilets, washing machines, dishwashers, et cetera. And to likewise go back to the common sense standards on light bulbs all caps.
Speaker 4: Okay, he's sitting where people want to. I guess, Verry urgent. One of the things that did happen yesterday in Washington, d C. Was a very dramatic, about hour long speech on the floor of the House from South Carolina Congresswoman Nancy Mays.
Speaker 6: If I found this many victims with this little effort, why why are they still on the streets of South Carolina today?
Speaker 2: We'll explain what she was talking about when we come back.
Speaker 1: This is bad because her former fiance, that she lays out on Capitol Hill as being a rapist and abuser and surreptitiously recording women drugged and naked, he denies everything.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So yesterday on Capitol Hill there was a general speech time frame. This is a time when any lawmaker can go to the House floor and speak on any topic. House rules prohibit lawmakers from impunging other impuning other members of Congress and speeches, but they don't say any thing about other citizens. Nancy mayses who were talking about and before we get into it, she is shielded from any legal action by the Constitution's Speech and Debate clause, which basically says she's doing this as a legislative duty giving one of these general speeches, and so she cannot they cannot go after her for this. But she used this time to accuse four men, including her ex fiance, of rape, sex trafficking, and other sex crimes against her. It does have a political ramification. She went after the South Carolina ag for failing to prosecute these guys.
Speaker 3: This AG is.
Speaker 1: A potential rival when she runs for governor when she's widely expected to run for governor in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: So her former fiance is a guy named Patrick Bryant. A friend came to her and said that she had found Patrick Bryant Bryant active on a dating app.
Speaker 6: When I confronted Patrick Bryant four days later on November third, the first thing he did was take his phone and put it in a safe and lock it. It was so confusing and didn't understand why would someone put their cell phone in a safe and lock it.
Speaker 4: Now, she somehow convinced this guy to give her access to his phone. You open it with a thumbprint. She got the security code and then started going through the phone.
Speaker 6: One of the first videos I saw was of a woman. She was incapacitated and she was being raped. I found some photos of what appeared to be a teenager undressed. I saw another video of another woman who was undressed, clearly on a camera, unaware she was being filmed. She was slender, and she had long brown hair. I turned up the volume to hear if there was audio. I heard my voice. I zoomed in on the video, and that woman was me.
Speaker 4: Now, she says she took this evidence to the Attorney General, to district's attorney to try to get these guys prosecuted for it because, among other things, she said, she was at a party at this guy's house again this is her former fiance, and she was served the two small vodka sodas that she referenced.
Speaker 6: A short time later, I blacked out. I have never blacked out after having a vodka soda or any adult beverage ever, and my life has never happened. But I know who has the women raped on those tapes that I saw, the women raped that I spoke to over the course of the last year.
Speaker 4: That was the other thing is that she that was the SoundBite that I played book before the break. She did this investigation allegedly by herself, and she says, how could this not result in criminal charges?
Speaker 6: If I found this many victims with this little effort, why why are they still on the streets of South Carolina today?
Speaker 4: By the way State law enforcement they're in South Carolina. The Law Enforcement Division confirms it does have an active investigation into these accusations of assault and voyeurism and harassment, a spokesperson said, sled again. South Carolina Law Enforcement Division opened an investigation regarding the allegations of assault on December fourteenth of twenty twenty three after being contacted by US Capitol Police, and since that date again, the spokesperson says, they've conducted multiple interviews, served multiple search warrants, well documented case file that will be available for the release upon the conclusion of the investigation.
Speaker 1: So what do we know about Patrick Bryant? So we know he started his first company, Bryant Design, at sixteen years old, according to his biography. Majored in Mass Communications Broadcast Management at University of South Carolina, where he was part of the campus TV station, co founder of a software development firm. We've got more on this guy's background that we will get into about kind of the timeline of when they were together and when she has a couple husbands. She became engaged with this guy three years after she divorced her second husband, with whom she has two children.
Speaker 4: So the heavy rain and strong winds that could cause some flooding, looking for maybe a few power outages, even travel delays. La County public Works crews and other crews around the all of southern California have created additional capacity in some of the debris basins. They've installed thousands of feet of concrete barriers ahead of the rain to try to at least steer them flows if there are any so.
Speaker 1: Representative Nancy Mace out of South Carolina, who is widely accepted will be running for governor in twenty twenty six, got onto the House floor yesterday and accused who is sure to be her running rival, the sitting Attorney General in South Carolina, Alan Wilson, of looking the other way when it came to Nancy Mace's own ex fiance and his friends who she says are guilty of rape, sex trafficking, and other sex crimes against her and other female victims.
Speaker 3: She says she had the proof on his phone.
Speaker 1: She had a bunch of proof, metadata, all sorts of information that shows that these guys were guilty of drugging women and raping them.
Speaker 3: And she was one of the victims.
Speaker 1: And she is untouchable because there are laws protecting any sort of lawmaker when it comes to their duties carrying.
Speaker 3: Out legislative actions.
Speaker 1: She's shielded from any legal action by the Constitution's Speech and Debate clause. Now, what do we know about Patrick Bryan. This is the guy she was that she was engaged to. He is a Charleston software entrepreneur. He denies all the allegations, by the way, and the age in the State Office of Investigation says this is under investigation, that he is the only one they're investigating. So the fact that she laid out the other friends was just, I guess gravy and if it's true, they should be called out, but they are not involved in the investigation at this juncture.
Speaker 4: And you point out that this Alan Wilson is this current state Attorney General is likely going to also run for governor against Nancy Mason. I think there's another person who might get involved. They're talking about Lieutenant Governor Pamela Evatt that might also run and run for governor of South Carolina. The Attorney General's office put out a statement and said Ms. Mace either does not understand or is purposefully mischaracterizing the role of Attorney General. At this time, our office has not received any reports or requests for assistance from any law enforcement or prosecution agencies regarding these matters. Additionally, they have no role and no knowledge of these allegations until her public statements. Now again to point out you've said this, the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division does say they do have an active investigation into at least Patrick Bryant. But the Attorney General goes on to say Congresswoman Mace and the Attorney General have been at multiple events together over the last six months. She also has the Attorney General's personal cell phone number, and not once has she approached or reached out to him regarding any of her concerns and any claim regarding the Attorney General refusing to receive evidence of a crime from a victim's attorney. It's important to clarify, the age is the chief prosecutor, and for this reason, the Attorney General would always direct any citizen the evidence of a crime to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
Speaker 1: You don't go to the Attorney general with stuff like this, You go to your local agencies. Now, I mean, I understand that there's different things involved, but if you knew the Attorney General, even if you were going to be political rivals, you would still say, hey, this happened. Can I get a hand with whatever you know I need to do in terms of who to talk to locally in my jurisdiction. All right, So Patrick Bryant is the guy she accused the former fiance. He is from South Carolina, went to University of South Carolina, as I mentioned, started his first venture, go to Team, a broadcast video services provider, which commenced his career in software development. She was previously married to a lawyer and Air Force Reserve officer between ninety nine and two thousand and two, and then married a second time to a contractor between twenty four and twenty nineteen, with whom she had two children. She and this guy, Patrick Bryant, the one she's accusing, reportedly dated for two years before becoming engaged. In May twenty two, he proposed to her during the filming of a campaign commercial is she sought reelection to the House. She made headlines in July twenty twenty three when she told a racy antecdote involving her fiance, Patrick Bryant, at the thirteenth annual South Carolina Prayer Breakfast about arriving on time for the event only because she had declined his early morning sexual advances. She told her Christian audience that morning, Patrick, my fiance tried to pull me by the waist over this morning in bed, and I was like, no, baby, we've got we don't got time for that. I do not And I was like, no, baby, we don't got time for that this morning. I've got to get to the prayer breakfast and I've got to be on time. The crowd laughed nervously. She conceded she had overshared, but added, he can wait. I'll see him later tonight.
Speaker 4: I remember, I remember that making a little bit of a wave, just because it was a prayer breakfast.
Speaker 2: So it's fine.
Speaker 3: You don't want genitals in your prayer breakfast.
Speaker 4: If they're your married spouse's genitals. I think I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I don't want to hear about your married spouse genitals until at least the afternoon.
Speaker 2: At least the prayer luncheon, the tea time.
Speaker 1: Anyway, at the time when they broke up, she said that he was cheating. I caught him being unfaithful. He was on a dating app, so I dumped him. She said, I would encourage any woman that's in the same situation just walk away. It's been very painful for me and my children. He denied he had been unfaithful, and he said he had downloaded the app only in order to delete an old profile. The broken engagement had left the couple fighting over a four million dollars each front property and a one point three million dollar house in DC that both had equity in. Is this somebody airing out dirty laundry of her ex's sex escapades that may have been consensual experiences on his phone that.
Speaker 3: She's found listen that's happened before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's offul. I mean it's awful either way. If it's true and he's raping people, or there's this this group of friends that's drugging and raping women.
Speaker 3: Obviously, awful.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to judge what's more awful, but if that's something you're using on on the House floor to go after a political future, political nemesis, holy hell, all of it's bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I wonder also for the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, the state Law Enforcement Agency. I wonder if the investigators like what you blew it? You blew our case. I don't know if she said anything specifically that, but you know, soundize it and do they think, well, we were gonna turn our paces?
Speaker 3: How serious are things like that taken in South Carolina? Also?
Speaker 1: I mean, and things have a way of disappearing in South Carolina.
Speaker 4: And that's kind of what she's said, that South Carolina can be a dirty place. It can be, and she's she's not a stranger this. She has made headlines before. She has talked about being a survivor of sexual assault when she was a teenager. She has come out in favor of abortion bands, but in favor of exceptions for rape and incest as well. So a bunch of stories that we continue to follow. The flu is back. Flu season is turning out to be one of the more intense that we've seen in several years. The California Department of Public Health's weekly report shows that statewide flu activity is high and increasing because cases of things like fluent, COVID and rc RSV respiratory's initial virus are very very low. More than one hundred and seventy World War Two era practice bomb have been found beneath a playground in England during a renovation. The first two of the one hundred and seventy were discovered last month by workers that were digging foundations at a place called Scott's Park, about an hour's drive north of Newcastle, and then in the two days after that they found one hundred and fifty five practice bombs in about a twenty one square foot area. Officials say they are just practice bombs, but that they still carry a charge and given the number of bombs involved.
Speaker 2: They need to be recovered by professions.
Speaker 3: Surveillance.
Speaker 1: Surprising. It is ripping you off. Here is the example that I was alluding to. Five am. Your toddler's crying, his forehead is hot. You're out of tailanal. You look at your phone, you order some more. Oh man, you got to pay the two dollars fee. So it's going to get there within two hours. Wait, where's the thermometer? What happened to it?
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll get one of those two.
Speaker 1: You're barely completing the purchase before your kid's throwing up. Now the retailer is probably selling you both of these items at slightly higher prices because it has access to data that pigeonholes you as a parent who doesn't know you're being upcharged for medical supplies, especially at that time of the morning, not even five am.
Speaker 3: This is what's known as surveillance pricing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is It's strange because first blush, you think, well, of course you want something quicker, you're going to need to pay a premium to get it to your place quicker.
Speaker 3: But it's not just they use the example of uber pricing.
Speaker 4: Obviously, if there's more demand at a certain time, like after a game at Dodger Stadium or something like that, the prices are going to go up because so many more people want to use it. This is specifically about how these companies find out about your age, your spending pattern, your tendency to order a specific thing at a certain time of night, and then use all of those types of nuggets of information against you in terms of driving up the price.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I feel like I know I'm targeted specific things, but I buy them anyway. It's like I know what you're doing, but yes.
Speaker 2: I do want that, and that's what they're betting on.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, they know you're an addict, and they know that you're gonna want whatever thing you want right away.
Speaker 1: If you have received a personalized price, you don't always know it. You know, you don't always have the time and energy to compare prices with other shoppers. If you do, by all means, cross check friends, family members, whatever, other websites, what have you, they say, But if you don't, at least be aware of how your personal information may be used. For instance, one case found that a person identified as a first time car buyer could be considered less savvy about the options available given less favorable financing rates, fewer discounts, more costly maintenance products at a car dealer ship. The study found that how you interact with retail sites, how far down the page you scroll, whether you click to page two of search results, or you sort products by newest or lowest to highest price, can be tracked as well, and then retailers use that data to get a better sense of your intent to purchase, your financial sensitivity. Like if you sort search results by highest to lowest price, well, you can imagine a world where the minute you do that, the price of everything goes up.
Speaker 3: If you're looking from.
Speaker 1: Highest to lowest price, you're probably one of those people that's like, oh, I want something that's really good quality, and then you'll probably be willing to pay more.
Speaker 4: For it, right, or you assume that the higher price means better quality. Exactly all you got to do is you could put two listings of the same product wanted a higher price and wanted a lower price.
Speaker 1: Or if you search for a specific brand of you know, for a specific brand instead of black shoes, right then it may seem you're already set on buying a certain pair. You're not going to get a discount offer. Your mind is already made up that you want that brand. But you could get the same shoe in a different brand, but they're not going to sell you that because you've already made your mind up to pay more for those shoes.
Speaker 4: So one of the things they suggest, obviously is just awareness, for one thing, being aware that everything you do, especially on those big delivery sites. No words, but big delivery. They track everything you do. They know what you buy and more importantly how you buy it. Clean your cookies regularly. I like cookies different, and if you're really freaked out, just throw the cookies out. Sometimes them cookies ain't getting good. You got to throw them out.
Speaker 3: But you could clear your cookies.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It asks you if you want to save cookies, and then other privacy tools that you can put on.
Speaker 3: Why did they call them cookies?
Speaker 4: That's a good question. I don't know where that in term ever actually came from. But avoid a shopping app, avoid an account if you can, instead of signing into that shopp site every single time. Maybe just to continue as a guest, try to plan ahead if you know that you're going to run into a problem, or you're going to run into an issue where you want to order something and time is of the issue, is of the essence. That's when they're really going to be able to screw you with the prices.
Speaker 3: Would you like your jeopardy question?
Speaker 2: I see you see that?
Speaker 4: Keanu tried to trick me today. She attached it on my rundown to see if I would take a look at it and see it.
Speaker 1: Me First is the category for six hundred dollars. Me is in quotations a popular one online as women from the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills on one side and a white fee line named Smudge on the other.
Speaker 3: What is a meme that is right.
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: We will talk trending and a big true crime Tuesday headed your way.
Speaker 3: This is all about.
Speaker 1: Stories of forgotten women who disappeared along a rural road in Oregon for a couple decades.
Speaker 4: You missed any part of the show, go back and check out the podcast. Anywhere you find podcasts, just type in Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: We'll be back right after this.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.