Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I think at some point we will no longer be shocked. And maybe that's already happened for some people. It kind of has for me. But when I say no longer be shocked, I'm talking about stories of some funny business going on with college athletes and sports books. I mean, the first big one that I can think of since it became you know, I mean, it's been legal in a lot of states for multiple years.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: It's relatively new here in Kentucky, but you know, it grows every year as far as the amount of people who are in fact wagering on sports legally, rather it be from an app on their phone or in person at a sports book. And uh, you know, with it being a growing and booming thing, it's it really shouldn't be considered some big surprise that you find out that there's some players and or coaches that are you know, that are doing things that you can't do, and they are making mistakes that are resulting in the NC doualea. Some of these universities themselves, leagues like the NBA, the NFL, they're gonna make examples of you because that's all they can do. I mean, it's not going anywhere. You're gonna always be able to gamble on sports moving forward, unless you know, something unforeseen happens to where they like take it away. But that's not happening because everybody's benefiting from it, to be honest with you, And I don't mean everybody's winning money, but like it's it's a very boom. It's a booming business. And you know, heck, now you've got the Bally Sports channels that used to be the Fox Sports regionals. It's been a huge mess because no TV provider seems to have them, Like it's really really hard to get anything. Well, they, I guess, got a lifeline where they're going to be funded by FanDuel sportsbooks. So when you tune in to watch whatever games are on those stations, if it's you know, if it's the Reds or if it's the Pacers or whatever it may be, whoever has you know, Bally Sports South, Bally Sports Florida. I don't even know what they call their channels anymore, but instead of being called Bally, it's gonna be FanDuel. So I mean, think about that, You're going to be watching live sports, some college, obviously a lot of pro and it's going to be wrapped in a network that is essentially a network that is one of the biggest sports books on the planet. I mean, it's not that crazy now because again it's it's not brand new and it's boomed for years now. But just think about ten years ago knowing you're watching a professional baseball or professional basketball game and the network is a sports like you know, it's it's a sports book essentially. It's just, you know, it's crazy. So d NBA, what do they They banned Javonte Porter for life. You've had the coach at Alabama, the baseball coach who was you know, providing information to somebody that was making making bets for them, Like heck, there was point shaving going on with like Iowa, like it it's there have been a handful of of, you know, stories that that you know are probably scary to people who worry, oh, this is getting out of hand, but like it was, it was inevitable that it was going to happen, and all these all you can do is make examples of people who do this, rather it be you banning them from playing in the n C Double A like, you know, you say that they're no longer eligible. Schools dismissed them, ban them from the league. And then some of these people face criminal charges because you know you can't do that. It's illegal to to shave points. Essentially. I know that's not the actual charge that it is, but people learn the hard way, and I don't think they'll ever be a time where it never happens. But you know, some people are still very surprised to see this. But I you know, and and maybe I should be. But there's a college basketball story that that involves point shaving that when we don't have all the details here, but I just read as best I could during the break there. Pat Forty at Sports Illustrated apparently one of the big transfers for the Virginia Tech program, Heijer Miller. He has been dismissed from Virginia Tech after transferring from Temple because you know, allegedly he shaped points. I'm reading here, it's just some of the details. Temple last year, who you know, they weren't they weren't very good, but they had a basketball game flag they played UAB on March seventh, and that game was flagged by a gambling watchdog company, US Integrity for an unusual fluctuation in the point spread in the hours before the game. One casino the line moved from UAB is a one and a half point favorite over Temple at the beginning of the day, UAB was an eight point favorite. Yeah, yeah, it says here that one casino the line moved from UAB as a one and a half point favorite over Temple at the beginning of the day to UAB is an eight point favorite by mid afternoon, then settled at seven closer to tip off. So this was the second straight loss for Temple. They ended up losing that game, and it's the second straight game where they did not come close to covering the spread. So you know you're gonna I'm sure you can do it, and I'm sure plenty have done it and not made it obvious. Like it's scary to think about. Maybe it bothers people you don't want to think about it, But like, I'm not that naive to think that we haven't watched sports with somebody out there involved in the action being well aware of what a spread is, what a total is all that kind of stuff. But this guy transferred from Temple once this story kind of you know, they didn't know any details. They just know that it was those I mean, nobody in real time was punished by the NC douablea or anything else. But this kid has transferred a game as a leading scorer at Temple, he transferred to Virginia Tech, and as the season is about to start, he's been dismissed. And Pat Forty claims that his sources tell him that it is due to the information that they have here. So maybe this is a guy that was maybe the ring leader.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe he was absolutely shaving points and you know he got caught. You can't do that. Not only is he not gonna be able to play Virginia Tech, he's probably gonna, you know, be in some legal trouble too. Is this thing unfold So you know, it's never a good story. It's just you got to keep in mind there was no scenario when those who were fighting like hell to make sports wagering legal in states across the country, including this one, those that are you know, in power, that have influence, they knew that there would be things like this that happen, and all you can do is just make examples and hold those accountable to do it in hopes that others won't be that stupid. I mean, it ain't worth it. I mean that goes without saying. If you're a pro athlete, even if you're a college athlete, like some quick money can can go a long way, but you're eventually going to get caught and it'll ruin your life. And who would want that to happen? All right, it's coffee and Company. We are feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon. We've got Kendrick Haskins of Way three Sports coming up here at about five point thirty. We'll get his thoughts on where each of the football program around here currently are. The ones who you know are are sad and underwhelmed with their team. That's Louisville and Kentucky.
Speaker 3: Indiana.
Speaker 2: On the other hand, not as many Indiana football fans around here in the Kentucky and area, but clearly you can hear them. They're louder now than they've ever been. They've probably just been you know, chilling, not having a whole lot to cheer about for many, many years. But now they got the candy stripe pants on. They're sigged up in a major way. And I'm jealous.
Speaker 4: If Indiana goes to the college football playoff, I'll come to work in my candy stripe pants.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got to do something bigger than that, Like you gotta get like a tattoo or signetti.
Speaker 4: Non tattooing and signetti on my face or wherever Signette's face on my body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to put Signettes's face like on your calf or something. I can respect it because I would There's nothing I would ever get it. I mean, do you have any tattoos that I've never seen?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't either, and I'm not anti tattooed like people who have them cool. I mean I think some people look bad ass with their tattoos. I could never There's never anything I would want on my body forever. So you know, even if my team won, you know, five consecutive titles, like, I wouldn't. I would never get a tattoo of anything. So you know, we got to think of something else because just wearing the candy strap, I mean, John you do that every day. That's your religion. You're a candy striped guy. Like, we got to think of something special that you'll do. And I don't mean like, you know, torture yourself or eat a live animal on the air. I mean like you got but you gotta do. We gotta do something big for you. If they get there, which I think they're going to look, I mean, look at look at where they are, look at their path. I'd say it's way more likely than unlikely that they don't end up there. I mean, maybe I'm way off here. Maybe we learn the hard way that Rourke's injury is going to keep him out longer than one game, and they needed him more than maybe you thought.
Speaker 4: But it just requires you to at least go eleven to one. I feel like, yeah, and just can't slip up against you know, in Michigan State next week or even this week. We know you're without Curtis Rourke at home.
Speaker 2: Michigan's never looked more beatable.
Speaker 4: And I think Indiana is gonna kill Michigan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who you more worried about outside of Ohio State.
Speaker 4: This week against Washington just because of the circumstances of Michigan State on the road next week just.
Speaker 2: Because of the Trap game, because they suck. Yes, I mean, Boston College beat Michigan State.
Speaker 4: But after that, though, I mean after the Michigan State game on the road, you have Michigan at home, you have Ohio State on the road, and then you finished with Purdue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And look, Louisville was there last year after their sixth game or fifth game, whatever it was. And obviously we know they turned around and lost to Pittsburgh, a bad team, and they weren't blowing teams out at least not consistently the way that Indiana has up to this point. So I'm not really making the comparison, but I can. I can take you back to last year for me when I'm thinking like I'm nervous, I'm scared, but not of one opponent. I'm just thinking like, man, it'd be great if we don't screw this up. Yeah, and I'm yeah yeah, And you know, Louisville did screw it up. They lost a pit and in the end, I still feel like that team probably it probably capped out, and ten wins was really his best. It was as good as well eleven, because I mean, heck, maybe twelve, because let's be I mean again, it it's not worth even going down this path because you lost both games. But like you played pit ten times, you probably win nine out of ten and the one you lost was the one that counted, you know, so it's what it could have should have in the Kentucky game, like they had no business losing that game, and they did. Like Louisville could have gone twelve and er last year and I would have said, you know, obviously put them in the four team playoff. Hell yeah, but you know it would have been truly because their schedule was a huge factor. Not that they weren't a good team in general, but like overall they benefited and they took care of business. Because you could say, at the end of the year last year, the only good team you played was Notre Dame. And I'm not sure how I mean, I shouldn't say the only good team, the only like respected team, because you ended up playing some teams that ended up finishing with winning records, and some teams that you played end up finishing in the top twenty five that you beat at least a couple of them. So you know, I know the feeling of being there and thinking like, well, hey, we've shown we're clearly good enough. Like it's not a question of can you, like, can you beat Michigan State? Can you beat Washington like you know you can. It's just like going and getting it done. And there's teams every year. In fact, probably ninety nine percent of the college football programs out there have a loss every year that they know, Hey, that was on us more than it was them just being that much better than us. And it's inevitable it happens to nearly everybody. But for your sake, John, I'm hoping it doesn't happen to your Hoosiers. We're also talked to Kendrick Haskins about some college basketball right we got our We got a chance to see this Louisville team in action on Monday night against Young Harris where they bombed twenty four to threes and look good doing it. Kentucky in action tonight in their first exhibition game taken on Kentucky Wesleyan. Somebody on the text line earlier asked me have you given any thought like what the reaction would be if Kentucky loses? No, I haven't thought of I mean, like, they're not losing. I mean, that'd be insane if they lost to Kentucky Wesleyan, but like, I just don't, I don't see it happening. I mean, they'll probably win, maybe at a similar level that Louisville won by I mean Wesleyan, although is Wesleyan last year and I'm not saying this because they beat Louisville again. Kenny Payne lost to Kentucky Westley last year in a game where he only put in four and five star players, recruits like you had maybe just on paper, and again, none of that matters if your team stinks and loses like Louisville did for two straight years. But like quite literally every player that like he was using a rotation that you'd use in a real game in that exhibition because they were that close all throughout it and then they ended up losing. So that Westling team I think brings back everybody that played. I mean, they lost their leading scorer, which of course is obviously something you don't want to lose, but they bring back everybody else that played a key role, and they've added I think one or two guys that jumped down from D one to D two. So they'll probably be a better challenge for Kentucky than Young Harris was for Louisville, but Kentucky will probably still win by a big margin. However, I did hear a little bit of KSR this morning, and they were acting as if in the Blue White Game that nobody got to see because Mark Pope hates the fans. He didn't want them to see the Blue White game unless they had a lot of money. I mean, it's sad that he did it. I mean, not something I don't want my coach to do, but that's what he did and that's his choice. I mean, I hate that he did that to you guys as Kentucky fans, but he didn't want you to see his team play. But anyways, apparently they didn't. They didn't shoot well, which clearly they're gonna rely on three point shooting. Not as much as Louisville, but like a lot. Like you've heard me mention this stat before, it's worth mentioning again. The top three teams last year as far as three point field goals made, both Pat Kelsey and Mark Pope were in the top three. Pat Kelcey and Charleston. I think we're at number two BYU and Pope were three, and I think number one might have been like North Florida something. It was a random school. So they have clearly more traditional front court players, meaning like they've got dudes who are truly fives that are rim protectors. And louisll does I mean loud of does two. I mean James Scott is not a guy that you're going to really see out on the perimeter a whole lot, but he is. But he's somebody that they do trust that if he gets the rebound, he can take off and go with it. But they're going to play relatively similar, Like they're gonna shoot. Both teams are gonna shoot a lot of threes. They're gonna at times have five guys out on offense, They're gonna spread the floor. I mean, it's I'm sure there are some differences, and we'll see it when you when you watch each team play, but there are certainly some similarities as far as the overall. You know, the way in which both these coaches want to play fast, a lot of three points shooting, a lot of spacing, a ton of passing, and you know, I don't know if Louisville's implemented it, but it wouldn't shock me if they have. I mean, these are two coaches that are now leading these programs in this state that in practice, and again I don't know I Louiell was doing it right now, but I know Pat did it at Charleston. The shot clock in practice is not is not thirty seconds, it's like fifteen or less, because that they want to constantly be playing at a faster pace. That way, it's just repetitive, and it's just, you know, it's it's second nature to you to just, you know, not only be out there and executing, but you need to be playing really really fast, which is gonna lead to it times, some out of control play, some slop play. But clearly, I think the numbers have proven it to be pretty pretty effective for these two coaches because they want enough at their previous spots that they got big opportunities here. Clearly Pope's connection to UK was the biggest factor in him being the coach here, but that doesn't mean he can't have success. Are they only on stream tonight? I would imagine it's probably on the SEC network plus or whatever. I would assume that's the case. Don't know for sure, but I'm going to tune in and watch because you know that's what you know. I'm not gonna make it a priority this evening to where I just lock in for two hours, but I'll certainly check out some of it because you know, I I'm eager to see what they look like. Not to say that I'm expecting them to look terrible, but you know, if they do, I wouldn't be I wouldn't be sad about it, but I'd also be a liar if I told you that I expected them to be, you know, bad this year. Who knows how good either team's gonna be. Again, it's the ultimate unknown in every way. But I think both fan bases have good reason to feel pretty good about where they are. I mean, if you're expecting national championships and final fours from from from either of these teams, I'd say, you're, you're, you're. You're probably a little misguided there, but it doesn't mean you can't have success. And I know both programs, especially Kentucky, because you know, they haven't gone through what Louis has gone through in recent years. You know, every year for Kentucky it seems as if they're they have legitimate aspirations for a final four, but like this would be the year where if you don't and you only make it I don't know, to the second weekend and you look pretty good at times and have some big wins. I mean, I doubt that they'd say that it was like a phenomenal season, but like you wouldn't have a meltdown. I wouldn't think, although I don't know, man, we'll see. They love Pope now and I get it, But the first loss they take, no matter who it is against, I am going to be really eager to see how they react, not to say I'm predicting they all melt down and lose their mind and demand the guy be fired because that you know that I don't believe that that would be the case, but I think does they have any kind of doubt that like this guy? And again, if he loses to Duke by twenty in the Champions Classic, it might be because you know, Duke's just that much better this year, but it'll also give them maybe some fear of like we hired a guy and now I'm reminded that, yeah, he went here, and he's great, he's lovable, he's nice, he loves Kentucky. But like is he good enough to be our coach with cal You knew within the first year that he was elite because of what he did with that first team. So yeah, I mean when they lose to somebody that isn't a blue blood like John, that's when that's when we're going to learn about how they react as to this whole process of Mark Pope being their new guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because and they'll be patient if they lose in the Champions Classic and it's close, Yeah, I think there will be some frustration because they do want to be Kentucky and say, you know, we are the best.
Speaker 2: Team, and I'll make fun of them for doing moral victories, but that's just because it's the rival, you know what I mean? Yes, So yeah, I mean, I don't know. I mean this is I find it to be really exciting that both fan bases are going through a new or starting a new era at the same time. But you know, I'm sure some of you, if you're a Louisville fan, you may not give a damn about what Kentucky doing and vice versa, and I get it, but don't act like you know, you wouldn't take great satisfaction and a loss for your rival. I mean, we all do. That's how it works, and I wouldn't have it any other way, all right, So Kendrick Hason's going to join us, coming up here on the other side real quick. Some sad news that I think I'm a little bit late on. It looks like this came out earlier today, but it looks as if, according to Twitter, that the mother of Mike and Mark Stoops has has passed away. Mike Stoops Mark's younger brother. I think he's a younger brother. Maybe he's an older brother. I'm not sure, but he posted something on Twitter confirming that their mother, Evelyn D. D. Stoops, has passed away. So condolences. That's obviously super super sad. Yeah, so very sad news. Condolences to Stoops and and his and his family. No real easy way to transition here, but I'll give it a shot again real quick. I want to reset something before we take a break. Bring in the one and only Kendrick Haskins Bronni James playing last night at the same time as his dad. Like, obviously that's probably the most talked about thing, certainly the most talked about thing on ESPN right now, because you know, if they get a chance to talk about Lebron for twenty four straight hours, they're gonna do it. Obviously, him playing in a game with his younger son becoming the first ever father son duo in the NBA, Like they're gonna, they're gonna run with it, and I get everybody's issues with it and just being annoyed and just being like, you know, come on, Lebron, like, really, who you kid and your kid's not any good? You're setting him up to be a punching bag because everybody's gonna make fun of him for only being in the NBA because his dad is Lebron James. This is a circus. The NBA is an unserious league. Like these are all things you're hearing people throw out there, and I don't disagree with really any of it as far as you know, it being clearly a circus. However, I did start the show with this because it was the first time I'd really given any truth thought to the Lakers side of this whole thing as to why they're doing it. Why would they want would they give Lebron whatever they want? Why would they draft his son and not act like it's you know, clearly them just doing what their franchise player wants them to do. And it was Brian Windhorst on ESPN who I thought laid out something that really makes a lot of sense, and that's that you do this because it gives you an energized, enthusiastic really bought in Lebron James late in his career, Like Lebron could walk away in any moment and nobody'd be surprised because he's nearly forty. Even though he's still playing at a high level, He's got nothing left to prove. He's got his business ventures and whatnot, Like, you know, it would make sense for him to not be as driven. Well now he's I think he's rejuvenile or rejuvenated, rejuvenid. He's rejuvenated because he's he's playing alongside his son and like obviously he wants to win at all times. But man, how great would it be if those guys won a title together? Like it's a good investment on a second round pick if you're the Lakers, because it gives you maybe Lebron at his best since he's been in LA because he may be as locked in and as focus now as he's ever been. We all know it's a stunt. Lebron deep down knows it, I'm sure, but like, let them act as if this is all earned and not something done because of the ability that his father has to do because he's you know, Lebron James. If they want to live in their world as if this was you know, not what it is that we all know it is. If I'm the Lakers, I'd say, knock yourself out, have at it. We'll continue to run with it, as if this is all earned by Bronni James and it has nothing to do with his dad being Lebron. If that gives you Lebron at his best, you know which, I don't know if it'd be truly at his best, but look, the guy doesn't. He hadn't slowed down much, man. He's still an elite player that at any moment, on any given night can can clearly be the best player in the NBA. And if you get four more years of that guy at that level, and all it cost you was you letting his son hang out on the bench, I'd say it's worth it. But I also get why it annoys everybody too. All Right, Kendrick Asking is going to join us on the other side, keep it lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it is Coffee and Company. Got about thirty minutes left here on a Wednesday afternoon. As you know, we are fueled by Thornton's. If you didn't know that, now you do. And it's always a pleasure to bring in mister Kendrick Haskins from Wave three Sports. Kendrick, how we doing on this beautiful Wednesday afternoon?
Speaker 5: Doing it great? Making our high school football rounds that we do every Wednesday.
Speaker 2: So hardest working man in show business. It is beautiful outside, still right. Sometimes I say that and then you know, I've been in this cave in the studio for two and a half hours. I walk in it's nice, and then I come out and it's you know, it's it's terrible outside. I hope it's still beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's perfect outside.
Speaker 5: I'm in the same boat at the station where our offices. We don't have any.
Speaker 3: Windows, and so I don't know what depressing it raining unless it's raining really hard, and I know it's raining.
Speaker 5: Outside of that, I don't know what's going on outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some some sunlight coming in from a window can really can really be uplifting when it comes to a mood. But yes, we in media, we work in caves, which you know, it's it's worth it, you know. I'm sure you view this, you know, being able to cover sports for a living, yes, it's a job. You work hard, but you know what I do. I've always used it as an excuse to never really have to grow up, right, Like, you know, I'm kind of an adult, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Right, I get paid to sit here and care about these games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you know, I'm gonna keep doing it until they don't let me anymore. It's a pretty good, pretty good scam that we've we've been able to, uh to pull off. All right, So let's start with football. I guess we haven't. We haven't talked much about it on the show today. But Kentucky, you know, they I keep thinking, okay, well, you know, if they lose again another game, you know, to Vandy or to Florida, man, that would really be the ultimate let down for for for the Kentucky fans, and they may really be bothered and unsure about how they feel about Mark Stoops moving forward. But like that's happened the last two games for them, I mean, obviously Auburn's not a great team, but I think when you look at what Kentucky's done this year, I think, you know, they could easily come in and beat them, given that Kentucky not only has has struggled more so than people would have expected, they've not want at home very much in the last few years. I mean, what do you think is the ultimate problem with this Kentucky team, Because I still happen to believe they have some pretty good players. I don't think that they're losing the teams like Vandy in Florida because they don't have talent. I think they're just kind of a mess.
Speaker 3: They are kind of a mess. I mean you look at that defense. I mean, that defense is pretty good, and then you.
Speaker 5: Look at their receiver.
Speaker 3: Room, and then I mean you you wouldn't trade their receiver room for just about any receivers in the country.
Speaker 5: Dang Ye and Brown. I mean, those are two.
Speaker 3: Of two elite receivers, so they're fine there. And I think do think the offensive line is a big problem. But I mean, other than that that, the offensive line did it's.
Speaker 5: Part for the most part in that Florida game, and the defense fell apart.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if maybe I don't never want to see I never wanted to really call coaches to be fired, but I wonder if it's time for a change, just a new voice in the program and inject some new new energy into the program.
Speaker 5: Because it just doesn't feel I just feel like we're at the top of what we're gonna get out of Mark Student.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, things run their course. I think fans who love Stoops and would still you know, push for him to have some kind of a statue or something, would be open to hearing about a new voice. I mean, not to go back to what Cal said when he walked out, but there are some similarities here to where I think fans appreciate Stoops and all that he's done, but they don't really feel as if right now he's the guy that can not only get them to where they feel like they are in a better place, but maybe even get them back to where Stoops at one point had them. I mean, you know, he coaches don't stick around as long as Mark Stoops has at Kentucky. And you know, if he did walk away, I wouldn't be completely stunned just because he's kind of seemed a little bit checked out. I mean, he's not the only coach that's complained about how different the job is now, but I think he's probably been a little more vocal about it than others. And I can appreciate that, to be honest with you, I like coaches that are transparent. I don't think he's just saying it to make excuses. I think he's saying it because he is annoyed by all the other things that he has to do now that he didn't have to use to do before the portal and before before nil. But I mean, you gotta be you gotta be some kind of stupid rich to just walk away from a nine million dollar a year job, right, Like, I mean, you can be burned out, but for nine million, I'll be burned out for a decade, man, right right?
Speaker 3: And that's that's the other part of it, is like Kentucky really can't get rid of him because his buyout.
Speaker 2: Is so he's gonna have to just walk I mean that would be the best case, or you know, start winning, and he may do that, but I just I kind of feel like the best days for Kentucky football under Stoops probably have have already come and gone. That's not to say they're gonna be terrible, because I don't think they're a terrible team now, but they already doesn't It feel like they're at a point now in the season that if if this thing's kind of turned into a snowball going down a hill and another loss here to an Auburn team that isn't very good. I mean at that point, I think you'd look at the Murray State is the only sure win that they have, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they lose to Auburn is going to get really loud because you don't expect them to beat Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Texas at Texas. Nope.
Speaker 5: No. And so the Louisville game is always in.
Speaker 3: The air because reason they keep beating being favored to beat him with three years in a row. And so there's that if they lose to Auburn and the season goes like he could go and a lost to Louisville is going to get really uncomfortable in Lexington. But like I said, he Stoops is the one who's the control if he's there next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think if that, like if it did play out that way, because I think the you know, I understand where these programs are. When it comes to college football, more often than not, a good season is going to be considered pretty pretty mid and average compared to the hierarchy of college football. But that's why beating your rival always goes a long way around here, and Stoops has done really, really good at that. I mean, he got off to a rough start because of what he inherited, but you know, he's he's been very successful against Louisville and that goes a long way. And if if you're a Louisville coach and you beat Kentucky regularly, that would go a long way here too. It's obviously been a while since that happened, but I think the noise would be louder than ever if the season played out that way, where maybe they're only when is Murray, or maybe they beat Murray and Auburn but lose to Florida or lose to Texas Tennessee in Louisville of course, which would be the punch to the gut for their fans. So if in fact that scenario played out, and it's not a crazy one, it would turn to where I think Stoops would have to kind of like campaign to like win everybody back, and I just feel like that seems like the last thing he's got energy to do right now, you know what I mean. Like, he just doesn't seem like he would have the give a damn to do that. And I don't even mean to say that to be critical, but I just feel like he would be like, Nope, I'm certainly not doing that.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if for him personally, if it's not a good idea to go ahead and just get a first start somewhere, it's because he does seem like it's kind of weighing on him and he's mean, he's a nice guy.
Speaker 5: Anybody who's ever been around Mark, he's as nice as Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't doubt that at all. I think it is the right. I'm a diehard Louis fan obviously, but as a rival coach, he's not somebody that I think is like a natural villain. I think he's a pretty straight shooter.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, He's not a guy that like you're gonna hate if you're the other fan base, other than if other than beating you.
Speaker 5: But just he's not gonna say anything crazy. He's not gonna be disrespectful in any ways. For my fashion, but he's he's done a great job.
Speaker 3: He's done and I said, he's been probably the best football coach ever outside.
Speaker 5: Of Bear Bryant. So he's done a lot. But you just wonder if it's just run its course, and maybe it's not for him to get a fresh start, Maybe the program get a fresh start, maybe just have a clean break, and you know, years and years from now, and they bring him back for the spring game like they brought back to Bigness.
Speaker 2: Or just or just not even a fresh start, just go be rich and retire, like that'd be a good life to live. I mean, that's these guys can. These guys can walk away and retire early and have a lot more money than someone like myself will ever have. So if you can't tell I'm pretty envious, let's let's switch gears to to Louisville football. I don't know if i'd call him a mess, but they are four and three. You got to look in the mirror. You are what your record says. Yes, their losses have come against some good teams, and they've been there with a chance to win. I mean each of those games you lost by one score. But you know, I'm I'm kind of I'm kind of stunned. I mean, that's that sounds a little over the top, but I just didn't think Louisville would be four and three at this point. And it be because they their identity is is a team that you know can't help but make some big time mistakes at really bad times. Nobody's asking to be perfect, and they really only made one huge mistake against Miami, but you're playing the number six team in the country. I mean, that's the kind of mistake that you know will haunt you against a good team like Miami. Where do you think Louisville is right now? Should fans maybe? I mean, obviously, if you're expecting acc championship appearance, that seems to be out the window right now. But you know what makes it even more difficult for me as a fan, Kendrick, is that, like, I still think this team has good players, Like I think they have the ability to be a lot of teams, they're just not getting it done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the.
Speaker 5: Thing that's frustrating about it because, like you said, they're one they're one score losses. Every one of those games they could have won to play goes here, they don't hike the ball over the punter's head on a punt against Notre Dame. You know, they don't give up big plays against s U. They don't give up, you know, a big play here and there against Miami.
Speaker 2: To fumble too, fumble calls that got returned on your home field. I mean, you know, and maybe some of the maybe those were the right calls at the end of the day. But yeah, I mean it just seems like breaks have not gone their way and they've just they've hurt themselves more than anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, That's that's exactly what it is. It's frustrating because you look out there.
Speaker 3: You see the talent.
Speaker 5: I mean, Shuck is as good a quarterback as Wolves had around here.
Speaker 3: Since Lamar I agree, and then and the received the receivers was Brooks and all the players they're making that receiver you see it there.
Speaker 5: The running game is.
Speaker 2: Great Lacy with the kick return.
Speaker 5: Man, Colin Lacey. I mean, he's come in since.
Speaker 3: That Notre Dame game and has been everything you expected it more so, you're getting what you thought you were gonna get out of your stars. It's just it's occasional plays here and there that has killed them, and it's surprising with defense, with all the talent they had coming back on defense. But that's the frustrating part, is like this team could easily be.
Speaker 5: Seven and zero and we're sitting here thinking about the college football playoffs. But now they're four and Three's like, okay, let's get to a bowl game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and look, I still think that they will, but I feel like, you know, this Boston College game one, it's it's a game where you don't really have a whole lot to gain, but certainly a lot to lose, because you wouldn't be able to claim that, well, our losses were competitive against good teams. Boston College, they're not terrible, but they're certainly not viewed as a as a good team. And you know, there's still a chance for them to do something they haven't done in a long time. Beat Kentucky. There's still a chance to do something they've never done, which you know is went at Clemson. But it's just hard to kind of expect those results to be there whenever, you know, whenever they've had big opportunities so far, they've just they've shot themselves in the foot. But you know, I think it makes fans feel a little bit better to know that their head coach is just as beside himself as they are. I mean, Jeff Brom, I mean I don't think he's you know, I don't. I don't think he's down on his team to where he's not going to bring it every day and try to try to get this season turned around. But you could just tell not only in how he talks and what he says, but like his body language. Man, he's he's as he's as bummed as anybody that the team that they that they're in this position.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, he wears it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look and that matters too again, like you gotta win. Like if you lose all the time and you wear it, then you know what, you're a loser. But I do think it goes a long way to to to you know, not try to sell us like Sadderfield did that. Don't know where boy's upset we would do a bowl game last year?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: He knows that the bar is higher than where they're at right now. He knows that this team is better than four and three and hoping to win and win enough games to make a bowl game. This is a team that's better than barely making a Bowl game, so he knows that he's he's just as upset as the fans are, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt about it. All Right. We got to see Pat Kelsey's team in action on Monday night at the Young Center, taking on an exhibition opponent, Young Harris. They bombed twenty four to threes, won by a humongous margin, and we're pretty entertaining. I mean, it's entertaining when you watch your team play and they can win big. But the way they play, as far as the style, they're going to get a lot of shots up. Just your first impression of seeing this team in person. I know they played a couple of games in the Bahamas, but you know, getting close to it actually being real here in the next couple weeks.
Speaker 5: It's fun to see them, like, look like they know what they're doing. They got an identity, Yeah, they have an identity.
Speaker 3: I don't anticipate seeing them shoot fifty plus three pointers a game, and I think that was part of the team they were.
Speaker 5: Playing, was kind of letting them shoot for some reason, because they wasn't like they were just jacking up shots. Those were open shots.
Speaker 3: A lot of those came off with a couple of passes and got the open shots, so it wasn't like they were just coming down just throwing up threes. But the only thing that they concermy was the rebounding because they I think they ended up out rebounding.
Speaker 5: Them by double digits. But it was fairly even for a good chunk of the game. So that was something. If you have to have a criticism that I guess that would be it. But they it was fun to watch. It was fun to hear the young loud, and then it was fun to be in an exhibition game that you wasn't on pins and needles about because this is an exhibition game is supposed.
Speaker 2: To be a blowout.
Speaker 5: So it's been good to have at least that part of it.
Speaker 2: Be Yeah, And and Kentucky's got their first exhibition game tonight against Westland, a team that did beat Louisville last year. I'm not sure if you've got a chance to see much of the Blue White Game or any of this Kentucky team at this point. I know they've had media days and whatnot, but you know, similar situations here, new coaches and really brand new teams for for for these two coaches, who do you I mean who are you? Who are you hearing? Who have you seen that you feel like is going to be like the guy for Kentucky this year? Is it similar to Louis of the to where it's probably going to be a collection of guys or do you think they're gonna they're gonna have a guy that sort of you know, is the straw that stirs their drink as they say, it feels like.
Speaker 5: It's going to be a collection of guys, especially when you have so many new faces around there. Lamont Butler he does kind of stand out for him and Jackson Robinson does. I've been impressed with what I've seen with Colin Chandler, the UH freshman they came in it had had a miss a miss because of a Mormon mission. He is crazy athletic.
Speaker 3: I was going to when he when he first committed. I was looking at some of his high you can take here or there, but which you can't see as this kid is a heck of an athlete.
Speaker 2: Yeah, former former five star recruit, I believe, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And he's going to be a fan favorite. He has a little bit of an accent.
Speaker 3: He's a nice Kid's got the curly hair, but he can simply jump out of the gym.
Speaker 5: He had a nice dunk in that blue white scrimmage. I think he's gonna be kind of the guy that kind of stands out the most. And then of course they're gonna root on Travis Perry and Trent Noah.
Speaker 3: Because I was the Kentucky kids, and I really I like Travis Perry.
Speaker 5: I saw Travis Perry.
Speaker 2: He's gonna be really good. I watched him in high school. I'm I I think he'll be way better than most are anticipating guys. One of the best shooters I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw him give Reed Shepherd thirty points And.
Speaker 2: Was that was that at the Shelby at the Collins game? Yes, I was there too, Man, that was that was memorable?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: He was something else and I was like, who is this kid?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where's that?
Speaker 5: Where's that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? He's He's a hell of a player, no doubt. But Kendrick, we got to run. Is always. I appreciate you making time for us. Keep up the great work and we will talk to you soon, my friend, all right, take you kick care. That's Kendrick Haskins Way three Sports. Always appreciate him making time for us. We got to run quick break. We'll come back and wrap it up. On the other side, supprise you didn't take the day off today. John. With Tim Walls in town, I know you're ready to go support him. I'm kidding. Yeah, he just landed an hour ago, and I'm only bringing it up because, like I fear now that, like with this kind of a visitor in town, maybe like traffic's going to be terrible because they're like, you know, shutting down roads so Tim Walls can can I mean, the only Walls that matters around here, folks is Jeff Walls. So if you're going to shut down the street for a Walls, do it for Jeff, not this guy who's here, you know obviously to do Yeah, that's right, that's right. Tamp uh is it tampon him? Is that what they call him? Yeah? Yeah, So he's in town, he's here, he's arrived. I just saw a story from WCHS eleven that shows him getting off a plane. All right, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital real quick before we say goodbye, because look, your pets, they're your family. You love them, you want them to be healthy, and they cannot communicate with you. The same way. You know humans can, so it never hurts to just go get him checked out if it's been a while. And if you're going to do that, you need to do it first of all. You should do it, and you should be doing it at Jefferson Animal Hospital on outer Loop. They've been around since nineteen eighty, taking care of your pets, keeping them healthy for forty four years. They're open day and night, even on holidays, even on Christmas. They've got a doctor on site available in case of an emergency, so keep them in mind. You can give him a call at FABO two nine hundred pets, or visit Jefferson Vets dot com. That'll do it for us. We're out of here, back at it tomorrow. Week's flying by, isn't it It is? Can't believe it's already going to be Thursday tomorrow. So anyhow, have a good night. Everybody will talk to you tomorrow