Speaker 1: And she also has like a full time job working for the Ringers.
Speaker 2: So again, if you go to that website, I'm gonna have to look her up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean their podcasts are terrific. I listened to them all the time, listening to one and they just varying topics. Bill, you know, Bill Simmons is kind of in charge of that, and he's he's a big basketball guy, of course, so he does I think three a week.
Speaker 3: Can we make money from that, Dave, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He probably does a lot of money. Yeah, they just got bought. They're owned by Spotify, believe.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, well they're gonna make it good.
Speaker 2: They got movies, you got TV, you got books, all kinds of politics.
Speaker 3: So anybody else's big name you talked about, I'm gonna have a guy from El Paso. He writes a lot about college basketball, former coach in college basketball. Maybe tomorrow, maybe Thursday, go.
Speaker 2: For it and you have you have. There's a few others. Jack McCallum, we can see if we can get him. Melissa Ludkey wrote a book about being a you know, female sports writer in the seventies, which was tough, very tough, and you know, not allowed to go into locker room this kind of situations, and she wrote a whole book about that. I think there was a lawsuit, and I think she got awarded either money or at least access.
Speaker 3: Well, you remember, back just not too long ago, mid late eighties, early nineties, you and I are out there, Lisa Olsen, right, you know, you go into locker rooms and the guys don't treat you very well. Right of hell, they didn't treat some of the guys very well either. You know.
Speaker 1: It was I was surprised.
Speaker 2: I remember maybe the worst I don't know about for you, but for me was going into an NFL locker room where there was like hardly anything covered up if you will, you know, and there'd be women in there sometimes it just it wasn't really I think that's changed since since those years, but it was. It was kind of a rough, a rough look to go through that.
Speaker 3: Who did I can ask you this, whatever I said, who's your toughest interview and situation? I have mine? I definitely have mine.
Speaker 2: They were always the toughest, but they were it was just difficult just to slow them down sometimes at spring training and base ball with you with Major League players, and you know, you go, okay, God, I want to interview Reggie Jackson. He's walking right towards me, and you don't get him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't, right right, or he doesn't want to and he knows that you're gonna ask him, so he breezes right by you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, those were my tough ones too, even the sidewinders. For the guys coming down, they didn't want to be there, they didn't want to be there. And the guys going up, you know, we're good guys, but the guys coming down.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you got lucky though with the sidewinders or those teams when they would send a player down on rehab, like say, I remember Randy Johnson came down to Tucson and kurs shilling, and that was kind of kind of a neat situation where you could talk.
Speaker 3: About what about the toros. The tours were the toughest for me because I was still a young kid. Yeah, they were tough, Yeah, coming in late eighties, late eighties and early nineties, and it was like, you know, the not the quick visuos, but the kid kamenities those guys. It was like, oh God, to the park today. Yeah, but it is what it is. Okay, let's go, oh don't work. You know, you know what we did. We're we blew over, So we're not gonna worry about it. We can keep going. Let's kick break we let's keep going. We're gonna we're gonna worry about it. That's funny. I even look at the camera. We're back. We're back, and we're gonna stay on queue here. I'm gonna just not miss so we're gonna miss a spot if you like to call. I'm not gonna go to uh to break the news, so we won't worried about that.
Speaker 2: But there's a lot of stuff going on Tiger Woods. That's big news. Ruptures is Achilles tendon. I mean, didn't you say you saw him? He was on the virtual he was on that virtual golf thing, that tg L whatever they call it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, have you seen some of that? Yeh, yeah, but not.
Speaker 2: I watched it for I don't know about you, but I'll watch it for maybe you know, ten minutes at a time and just sort of see what they're doing. I don't quite understand exactly what's happening there. Yea, But yet you have to score updates from the big call yeah, we can. We can look that up. Big twelve.
Speaker 1: So a issues playing starting at this moment.
Speaker 3: So have you paid attention to the other Pack twos or PEC ten's of the height of the the world?
Speaker 2: Little Washington State the other day and they were winning. They're in that West Coast Conference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got beat because I think tonight's gonna be.
Speaker 1: St. Mary's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Saint Mary's is the is the cream of the crop of that league this year or has been to this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So the issue game is just underway.
Speaker 2: But earlier we had Cincinnati blasting Oklahoma States eighty seven sixty eight. They had a big lead in the first half. And one Oklahoma State was not very good this year fifteen and seventeen. And in the second game of kind of a surprise, Colorado was terrible this season at TCU sixty nine sixty seven. And yeah, that's those are the first two as we continue on until Arizona play sometime on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Late on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Did you see that your Marcus said that the seventy six teams for the tournament is the perfect mark seventy six, seventy six, and they're trombones. Seventy six trombones seventy six teams really up by eight. You just need to make it a number and then stick with it forever, because you know what team seventy seven and seventy eight are going to bitch about not getting in right, You're always going to have it. One hundred and two teams, one hundred and thirteen, one hundred and fourteen, we deserve to be in.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'm looking at this article on ESPN.
Speaker 2: He's talking about the TV situation too. We have to figure out how how to work all that out with CBS and TNT. And when do you play those games your market?
Speaker 4: They?
Speaker 2: Yeah, weren't they saying, you know, let's just play them on Tuesdays and Wednesdays? Get it, get us started, play just like Thursday and Friday.
Speaker 1: Wind up being I don't know, for the tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, they already played a couple of playing games at night, kind of like late in the afternoon and the early evening.
Speaker 1: Just have them all day up at nine am. Like the other people in Vegas.
Speaker 3: You go Vegas Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, long week long. People don't care. They'll just show up and drink and have fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean this is the uh.
Speaker 2: What they're saying, it's the fortieth brackets since they expanded to sixty four.
Speaker 1: It was in nineteen eighty five, so it's been a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really that long ago. I got you're old, I'm old.
Speaker 1: Do you remember? You don't remember this? But I do?
Speaker 3: Thirty two?
Speaker 1: Back sixteen?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I don't remember. I remember thirty two.
Speaker 2: The only teams that got in were the conference champions. So that's why UCLA every year they the packed eight and likes the usc was for a second, they have to go to the n I.
Speaker 3: T right right, and there was one had some pretty good teams with Bob Elliott in the mid seventies. Month they lost to you lost to UCLA right in the lait eight. I think, so, uh and yeah, what.
Speaker 1: Did they finished shares on a finished like second or something? For did they know? Why would they get in the tournament? Tournament expands.
Speaker 3: It might have been thirty two. I think by that time. I think maybe if you're listening, Bob, give us a call. But yeah, yeah, at least thirty two, seventy six, seventy five, in seventy five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and you know Marin's book kind of coincides with the fortieth anniversary of the Spiracle miraculous shot for Houston to win her friend and c State to beat Houston, and that was in your town, and.
Speaker 1: So her book came out. That's right, almost forty years to the day. He came. Was on that team, right, did.
Speaker 3: You ever watch that valve any Special Integrade Secrets? I love those shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Survive in Advance I think it was it was called right.
Speaker 3: No, it was a good one because a couple of guys had passed.
Speaker 2: Right, and weren't they looking for somebody like somebody that just couldn't find Benny something or other.
Speaker 3: He was on that Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know what you're talking about from Houston. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I want to they gathers Benny, Benny one of those guys.
Speaker 1: They were so good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they were like Houston today, just talented and just just beat you and love beating him.
Speaker 2: And he had They had that coach, guy Lewis who you know, they're that that whole group of you know him and Tarcanian and you know, the Big East coach. The Big East was kind of coming into its own, the Carni Seca and you know Jim Beheim was young, and John Thompson.
Speaker 3: Of course, so is Myers and Meyer Meyer from DePaul.
Speaker 1: I think I was Ray Meyers his kid.
Speaker 3: Those are the good old days of old coaches, you know. In fact, I was seeing something. I was going to bring it here for us to discuss. We can talk about who do you think of the five most hated coaches today?
Speaker 1: Today? But today?
Speaker 3: But there's some There was a couple on the list.
Speaker 1: And you put that early brothers together.
Speaker 3: Actually they were not Actually that's a good pick, but they were not on the list. Uh no, Bobby Knight number two. You mean all time, all time, but it said today. But you know now how they're still thought of. That's funny partly brothers. They weren't on the list, but they could be. Dan Hurley's kind of kind of got a bad rep now because you've you've talk a lot of crap. You know, I'm the best coach out here who you talked to you?
Speaker 2: And I did not see the feature they did on him in sixty minutes.
Speaker 1: He was just one.
Speaker 3: I missed that too. I'm sure you can find that. Yeah, I missed that too. But take a guess of who the the one that they hate the most right now or right now, but Bobby Night was number two. I'm gonna take a call.
Speaker 1: Give me a hint.
Speaker 3: He's coaching now and he's not doing well.
Speaker 1: He will.
Speaker 3: Hello, you're on the are an eel the ball. Who's this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Hi, my name is Ron Megdale Dover.
Speaker 1: Just Hi.
Speaker 4: I've listened you all the time, but I don't call it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: My nephew, Howard Megdal is going to be here for the Festival of the Books on this weekend. Dave Silver just mentioned his name. I want him to know that he's a lot more well known that they may be aware of, in that he's written seven books on sports. His expertise is in the area of women's basketball. He just wrote a book about Caitlin Clark mechanic. Okay, yeah, it just that was his most recent book. Like I said, he's going to be in this weekend. I think he might pay. You might find him interesting for an interview or something along those lines.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, where's you based out of?
Speaker 4: He's mass that in New Jersey. I'm from New Jersey originally, Okay, and that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's definitely because he's going to be on one of the panels with Marin, so that's okay.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's given on one of the panels, and every day he has one or two sports, public sports, women's sports. I don't know what you call him actually because I'm the okay, but he has wondered it's not a podcast. Maybe he has a podcast too. I don't know everything that does.
Speaker 3: So he probably does like a newsletter or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, two of them actually every day.
Speaker 3: Okay. Yeah, but it's all about survival for us writers. But yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like his book just came out. Is this I'm looking at his Twitter feed.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's the Kayden Clark one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic, the seventh book. You might see.
Speaker 4: There's other six other books that he wrote. Again, it's mostly on women's sports, but some other sports too.
Speaker 3: What's your first name again?
Speaker 5: Ron?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Ron, Thanks for listening, Ron, thanks for calling. Appreciate it. Appreciate it. Yeah, thanks Ron.
Speaker 4: Are you did his phone number anything?
Speaker 3: No, we'll we'll find it.
Speaker 1: We'll get it.
Speaker 3: We'll get it. Thank you, thanks so much. Yeah, take care.
Speaker 2: That's great that he does have a bunch of but he wrote books about the interesting different connections, not just women's sports either, saying it was Cardinals, something about the Mets, Fred Willpond.
Speaker 1: I don't know, he'll have a lot to talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you probably knew a lot of people, right, Yeah, that's cool, thanks for calling us. Let us know, Uh, what were we talking about? Oh, most headed coach with Patino? He was like three, three or four. I think when I say it, you'll say, oh, yeah, okay, I say he's always the almost overrated coach of the last ten years.
Speaker 1: Oh well cal Peri, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Just because he got in trouble. Me you mask got in trouble Kentucky, you got in trouble, and this guy I got in trouble and still kind of having a hard time now in Arkansas. Yeah, he's just kind of not that guy. He's only won one title, but just not likable because he's you know, he's kind of like a I don't know.
Speaker 2: Kind of cocky and you know, he thinks he's great, and like you said, he had you know, some pretty good teams, great teams and great players that last a year in Kentucky and off they go to the NBA and who knows what.
Speaker 1: You know, it's hard to keep track of those guys.
Speaker 3: Right, there's been a few. I can't remember who the other Patinos won, Bobby Knight, Calipari, and there was two more on. I have to think about it for a second, but we'll see. Did you see did you see who got the Player of the year yesterday? We didn't talk about this, but in the Big twelve, who would you have picked?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He was a fantastic player, fantastic player this year, former New mexicool guy. But he's only pid picked to maybe finish in the top twenty twenty five of the NBA. And he's talented as all hell.
Speaker 1: How big is he?
Speaker 3: Six eightish? I think wiery very talent had left handed. Oh, by the way, anybody, I don't know if you guys have listened to this. I played this for Dave earlier. There's a song out publicly, I guess, on YouTube by somebody. I don't know who it is. Someone sent it to me earlier today, and it's pretty funny. It talks about this this year's team that's not kind to this year's team, and it's kind of in the way of our song from many years ago, Wild about the Cats. It's it's almost like a bummed about the Cats. It's a minute long. If you maybe google it ante it's a minute and if you want to google it, google it. There's no title to it, just kind of maybe song on Arizona basketball.
Speaker 1: It's on YouTube.
Speaker 2: People definitely have their feelings, that's for sure, and they have their opinions, and this guy put her down.
Speaker 1: In music forms. Right. It's a little bit a little bit risky for us to play here on the air.
Speaker 3: Right right, too risky for us to play, but interesting. Nonetheless, anything else that we got to do before we gotta go, you gotta we got to go for a long time.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Asu getting getting beat already nine to one early on.
Speaker 3: I think we talked about this the number times. Do you think this is it for him? This could be his last game. I think it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: I mean, they just find the women's the women's coach after she was only there a couple of years, three years.
Speaker 3: Maybe let me ask you dumb question. So you've been in the business a long time. When you were in the business tape, how many gms did you go through at the TV station? Yeah? I asked for a reason.
Speaker 1: I was there twenty eight years I think we had it was four or five.
Speaker 3: Okay, and so you survived changes of the guard, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is that proud of that?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say you must have been, because it's tough with change, especially with the bosses coming in. They want their own guys.
Speaker 2: Right, in those years, they really weren't messing around too much with talent like me. I mean maybe the main anchor. News anchors sometimes got shuffled in and out if a new management came.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know it was I was lucky. I kind of like kept get my head down, kept working. Yeah, and you know, right, just stuck around long enough to make make it through.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna take a break here, come back and talk to Brian Peterson on the other side.
Speaker 5: Steve Rivera, he's got his eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Swarts fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to I the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Dave Silver. I'm now on the phone. We have Brian Peterson from Azy Desert Swarm. Brian, how are you? I'm good?
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I am assuming you went to Tommy Lloyd's press conference.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was the one and only other than some TV and radio.
Speaker 3: Wa okay, nobody. I have to make a living, dude, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know this lifeline as you I had to play the role of Bruce Pasco today.
Speaker 1: Oh goodness.
Speaker 3: So that said, I was gonna say, who had the world with all the just know about the fans? So I'm kissing you did.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: It was ask though, and he gave up a pretty lengthy answer, and it was kind of what I suspected that it was more about the atmosphere, yeh, the game day atmosphere at McHale Center, as opposed to the fans. I don't think the fans are an issue. I think it's that nothing is expected of them to do anything other than to come to the games, and that just it leads to a you know, create your own energy type of environment. And you know, if you sink back, for all the years that we've gone to games, the atmosphere used to be a lot more involved, whether it be rest in peace, the ooh ah man or those three fans dressed as blind referees walking through the crowd, or different u of a chance. Aside from the stand up at the beginning of each half until the opponent scores and the occasional nice shot buddy from the student section, there really isn't much in terms of like organized things during the game. And I think he was noting just how involved everything was at Iowa State and Kansas and that that's not what he's seen there. And it's not that Arizona is terrible, but that it can be better, and now he's seen how it can be better, and he'd like it to be better. I think the fact that that's how he started his press conference, but that was also the first question that was asked, comes off as that's more important to him than the performance in the game. And I don't really think that's the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, I totally agree with you, and we sit together and we noticed the crowd obviously up in the raptors and stuff. There was no question. It was not a knock on the fans. It was about the situation and that wasn't his first time. I mean, he wants it to be crazy. I mean, I don't think that's a lot to ask, yes, and.
Speaker 4: That's going to be on the administration the athletic department marketing all that to help create that with the input of coaches. There is this new fan council that has just been created, and I think the goal of that is to hear from people outside of the university who go to games and are and stands and involved in that way, what they want to see and how that can be realistically put into place. I mean, these things don't really cost very much. I know that there was a lot of also confusion about the postgame senior speeches from the ASU game and how those weren't announced until after the game. Part of that was a let's not jinxit and say this and then we're not going to do them after they lose. But also at Tuesday night at eleven thirty, even if you did announce beforehand, who knows how many people are going to stick around compared to having on afternon that's just bad luck having that. Maybe you do those before the game and you don't have to worry about that, but it seemed like they wanted to do as little as possible before the game because of the game itself. So there's a lot of disconnect and some communication issues that need to get fixed, not with this sport, with basketball. I think there's a lot more engagement in all of that on the women's side because they've put the effort to it. Maybe men's basketball has gotten to this complacency level that they just know people are going to come or expect them to come, and that's really all they need to do. And you need a little.
Speaker 1: Bit more of that.
Speaker 4: And now that Tommy has seen that coaching at venues he'd never been before. After seeing that in the in the Pac twelve, Arizona was probably the gold standard. And as as far as fan engagement now they're not anywhere near the top. What's it going to take to get there?
Speaker 2: Especially having a new athletic director and she's brought in a lot of new people too, So I would imagine once this is all over, say in a month or so, there's going to be some talk about how can we change things up. I remember going to football games like at USC, for example, and how they would honor the past every game. Every time I went to a uc USC game in the coliseum, they would trot out, you know, hey, this guy won a Rose Bowl in nineteen I mean, it was amazing and the U of A could do that. I think that I remember going to the Duke game this year, Remember everybody was there that one that one night.
Speaker 1: Well, they could do that both to both of you guys.
Speaker 3: Both we all know that just as not the lone ranger in sports that need to be fixed. Right, Football definitely needs to be fixed.
Speaker 2: And football, you could hear football here could do the same thing, you know. I mean, I know they bring in the guy to do the coin toss, but it's very quick and still it's really not much there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they could.
Speaker 4: Do things like that. Well, there's there's become a corporate environment at football and basketball, and you got to pay the bills, but there there are opportunities to do more than that. And and you know all these little things they do on the court during intermissions and all that to get it a little bit more engaged. It's just there's not enough involving the fans. And you know, I don't know what the answer is to that. I mean, that's not my my thing.
Speaker 3: I don't pay.
Speaker 4: Close enough attention to that as others smite. So there's definitely something that can happen there. And let's see what this fan council and and what the desiree read Francois and others. All these people she's brought in. What they can do, right, that's what they're here for.
Speaker 3: And they've come from other places, so they've seen other things.
Speaker 4: So m M.
Speaker 3: So we'll see what happens. Now, let's go back to the game. Although I thought that stuff was overblown in what he said because he's said that before. People find he's just finally paid attention. What does he say about this team, because it's uh, now they're going to face a lot of the teams that they might face in the tournament, at least quality wise.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and it's very likely that they'll see Kansas again after just playing them, so uh, they you know, it's fresh in their minds and they're going to have to have a different approach to Kansas. I don't think they can get away with the same plan with not doubling Hunter Dickinson and just hoping he misses shots, because especially if you're guarding him with a Tobe Alaka who's six to eight, he's going to be able to get his shot off every single time. And Tommy had said a little bit today about you know, sometimes you have to have that. We'll live with that shot and that there's been a little too much of that lately. Well maybe they have to double him and risk an open three point shooter, whether that goes in too. I mean, it's the whole pick your poison thing. But what I've noticed in these last handful of games from the defensive end, because there's been these bad performances, something that's really stood out to me is as there a major downtick in the number of turnovers that Arizona is forcing, particularly from steals. There were only nine total turnovers by ASU and Kansas in the last two games, and one of those was Kansas turning the ball over from a shot clock violation with six tenths of the second left. At the end of the game. They had no steals against ASU, which hadn't happened in six years, and then they had three against Kansas. It's one thing to force a team into a bad shot and then hope it doesn't go in. It's another to keep them from getting a shot whatsoever, and that's just hasn't been there lately. And the whole defense to offense, that's the biggest way to do it. Get a steal, force them to knock it out of bounds. Travel whatever, so that it's an empty possession without any opportunity of scoring.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you, do you have a question? What do you think ails this team? What do you think the need to fix right away stuff? And let me tell the statue as well. I think they're running up against better teams.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 4: Well, the last eight teams have been considerably better than the first twelve they played in the conference. And that was seen, that was known beforehand. I think, you know, maybe some people didn't expect BYU to be as good, but they're the hottest team in the conference. And the Kansas State game that was when Kansas State was playing its best of the season. But yes, you're playing Houston, you're playing Kansas you're playing Iowa State on the road, you're playing Baylor on the road. You're facing tougher teams. And it's not like they were losing to bad teams. I mean, what was their worst loss of this season. You could either say it was Oklahoma in the Bahamas and Oklahoma's a team that is on the bubble, or at Kansas State. When Kansas State was playing well. There was no losing at Oregon State, there was no losing at Stanford, there was no losing at home to ASU kind of things. And you know, the fact of the matter is that there are better teams in the league than Arizona And that is something I don't think the fan base realizes or it's gotten used to, that Arizona isn't the best team in the league. And it's okay to not be the best team in the league. Like, if you can carry over what you've learned from these games and then go deeper into to March, the best team from each conference doesn't go the furthest in March Madness. It's all about matchups and experience and all that. So, yes, they've played good teams. Now, if they get into the first round, then they lose to a twelve seed that is not a better team, that's a different story. But right now, I mean, they're just they're losing to good teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're going to be seen, you know as just as Steve said, good teams the rest I mean, and maybe accept it for Game one, depending on where they're seated, but you know, it's going to be a tougher situation for them. What about the Yeah, have you been able to watch I know the game's just started. But so what are you see from some of these early games in Kansas City and the environment, least from a TV standpoint.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the game going on right now involving ASU in Kansas State would probably have the best environment of the first day because it's involving a nearby team. Oklahoma State Cincinnati the first game, I don't think there was really many same with TCU Colorado. You're going to really see it tomorrow when Kansas plays and when Iowa State plays, because those are the schools, Like how Arizona would always still up in Vegas and to a lesser extent, Utah and you know, the LA schools because of proximity. And that's what it comes down to. Arizona, assuming they play Kansas on Thursday night, it's going to be an unofficial road game. There's going to be far more Kansas fans than there are going to be Arizona fans and just kind of have to accept that situation there. I think a weird thing is like Arizona's never played in this arena, so they have to and I don't think you'd get an opportunity to practice on that court anytime beforehand because there's all games all day today at all day tomorrow, so they don't really have any idea how to deal with any of the site lines and all that in there. It's not like in the NCAA where you get a practice day, and it's not like they played a tournament there earlier in the season or a non conference game like that like Arizona has done in Vegas beforehand. I don't know what, if any impact, that might have.
Speaker 3: What do you think to say? What other topics did did you guys ask for Tommy? People think, oh, he talked about this talk. No, the questions were asked, that's what he talked about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there were some stuff about different players and whether or not there would be any consideration of future lineup changes, like considering that Trait Townsend had one of his better teams, would he go back into the starting lineup and have more power coming off the bench. Same with whether or not since Anthony dell or So has been the one that's struggled the most out of the starting lineup if he's better off the bench, and Tommy has mentioned that, like basically everybody that's been in the starting lineup has had times where they've done well, and they've been important parts of of the rotation, and I don't think he's he really cares too much about the ones that start at the beginning of the ones, so who play at the end. There was also a mention I had asked about kJ Lewis and his struggles shooting from the perimeter, and he did admit Tommy that the wrist that's been taped up for about nine games was a legitimate injury that has affected him and he thinks it's getting better. But this past game, I mean, kJ Lewis shooting like eighteen percent from three point range is not something anybody expected. But he also shouldn't be tied for the most three point attempts on the team. I think that was definitely a situation at Kansas where he was he was kind of baited into the defense they were playing, and he fell into that trap. He is best offensively driving to the basket. He's shooting much better from two this year than he did last year because he's showing that aggression going to the basket, and that's his game. You had asked about like flaws. I just I think that there are a couple guys on the offensive end that aren't accepting what they are best at. Like Anthony Deloroso is best at catch and shoot, Why then is he dribbling into the lane and stopping and picking up his pivot foot. He shouldn't be doing that, but it keeps happening. kJ is better going to the basket. Why then is he dribbling around on the outside trying to take a shot. Same with Trey Townsend. Trey is best at being aggressive and going up immediately. Why then is he dribbling around. I can't get in their heads. I can't get in their heads. But you know, this is what happens in the heat of a game. Guys are not doing what you think art is what they should be doing.
Speaker 3: Ryan Peterson, I tell you to be in by eleven o'clock each day. You better be in by in at eleven o'clock each day. So if you haven't got it by now, yeah, there's only a couple more games. Yeah you never got.
Speaker 4: It exactly exactly. Yeah, you just at certain point you just have to roll the balls out and hope things go. There's not really a time for any sort of major tactical change. They're not gonna suddenly go to playing zone. They're not going to suddenly be bringing in a whole bunch of new plays. Though I will say this, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if part of at least the part of the game plan they had against Kansas was one where they knew that they were probably gonna play Kansas again in the Big twelve tournament. And it's one of those let's not put everything on film kind of stuff that maybe, like for instance, not doubling Hunter Dickinson, maybe they didn't want to show how they did that in this game with the intent of doing it a second time. And I don't know if that's the case, but we'll find out in a couple of days, because I'd be very surprised if they go the exact same route in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can't have Hunter Dickinson scoring whatever it was, thirty plus points.
Speaker 1: That's who's not gonna work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's the guy. Who's the guy not named Caleb Love that needs to really really show up.
Speaker 4: That haven't or just in general in.
Speaker 3: General, but he's not named Caleb Love. Who's the guy?
Speaker 4: I mean, Jaden Bradley has to continue doing the stuff that he's been doing. Lately. But I also think, and I discussed this with some other people, that maybe he's putting in so much effort on the offensive end lately that it's impacting his defense because he is a guy that was getting a lot of steals and he hasn't been lately. So you have to decide where he's most valuable. Beyond that, I mean, if Delorso is going to be playing meaningful minutes, he needs to be taking those shots. Yeah, and he's not. And I don't know if it's that he is afraid to. I don't know what the situation is. But if you're going to get with eight guys, you need all eight of them to be contributing. Beyond that, I think that and that kJ needs to just do what he does best, which is being a great on ball in a vacuum defender and be aggressive driving to the basket and not try to be a do everything guy.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you.
Speaker 3: You asked, did you ask the question of Tommy about Kj's wrist or he brought that up?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: No, No, I asked.
Speaker 4: I asked him if he had any answers for why he was struggling so much from the perimeter, if it was the risk, and he said, yes, it's a legit injury. Thinks it's better, it's getting better, but that he is a better shooter than he's shown. But at the same time, he does so many other good things for us, so we're going to run with him, which is something he says about a lot of guys. But that would explain why they didn't refft him because they needed him for other things. But at the same time, there needs to be a reminder, Hey, your wrist is body, and you stop trying to take shots that it's going to affect. But there's only so much you can do as far as coaching that the players are the ones that still have to execute and make decisions.
Speaker 2: So often they're leading him and they know he's been struggling and they leave them open and he's, well, he's.
Speaker 1: Got to take that shot. Yeah, and how many can take hit that?
Speaker 4: He hit that one against ASU at the end to get his career high end points and that's the only one he's made in like the last three games. And I mean, and the shots aren't even good, like they're not they're not close. It's it's truly because whatever he needs to do with his with his shot that the rist is affecting it. And but that's that's a personal recognition thing. As much as the coaching staff says, hey, they're leaving you open for a reason, don't take that shot. You're wide open, and you're like, oh, I'm going to make this one, I mean, that's just that's the mindset. You don't want them to be unconfident, but they also need to recognize their own limitations.
Speaker 3: Right, quick quick prediction from you, Ben Dave Thursday. Thursday's game. Let's say Kansas just because I think they win, I think they win.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, in general, they have always done better the second time they've played an opponent than the first. And I mean even Houston was three years different, so those were very different teams. But they played well enough to win in that game. As long as they don't have the same kind of defensive breakdowns, yes, they win this game. And Kansas, while they're going to have that home crowd, they just aren't the same away from home as they are in Lawrence. So yes, I would expect Arizona to win this game.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's not going to be the student section like we saw in Kansas. Correct over the weekend, and you know it'll be similar to how Arizona had things going in Vegas. You know, big crowd and kind of spread out all over the place.
Speaker 3: And lastly, maybe what seed? What seed do you think they're going to get? Eventually?
Speaker 4: I think they're gonna end up as a five unless they were to make the title game of the conference tournaments. I think that just the there's gonna be too many other teams that are going to have a chance to move ahead of them or keep them behind. I don't think they drop to a six if they lose the first game unless a bunch of other teams below them have big weeks, and so they're gonna most likely end up in Denver or Seattle and playing potentially the winner of a first four game. In fact, ESPN today has a juicy possibility of assuming they win the first game, playing Xavier in the first round imagine which it would be so hilarious. It would also be very Sean Miller to lose that first four game and then it completely eliminates the possibility of it. But I mean the storyline just to beg Yeah, and just imagine how how this fan base would handle getting knocked out in the first round by the former coach they deemed wasn't good enough.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 3: Let me lastly, how full is the bend wagon?
Speaker 4: The bandwagon is. It's still mostly full, but I think everyone is hanging off the edge of it to brace their fault. I just said to one of my passengers earlier today who is fairly new to Tucson, I said, you will be able to feel the depression in the air in Tucson when the basketball team gets eliminated, because that is the lifeblood. And then it's like, once basketball is eliminated, that means summer is right around the corner, and here comes one hundred and ten degrees. So yeah, that's we know. That's how it is here in Tucson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, pretty agree. Okay, thanks Brian. Yeah, that's how we used to look at it too. It was like, oh my gosh, what's what's next summer?
Speaker 2: We still got you the softball and baseball, right, we used to have the toros are the sidewinders. But yeah, as soon as basketball ends, it was kind of like when's football season start?
Speaker 3: Right, We that we're going to take a break. Come back. Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Given we'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 1: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 8: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 9: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 10: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you In twenty twenty four, Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards.
Speaker 3: It's time to restock.
Speaker 10: Your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 11: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership.
Speaker 1: Paul Volpi is.
Speaker 11: Ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five too oh six eight five six two six Today n MLS three H eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine to four two Equal Housing opportunity, got to commitment to lyndrixon credit rates and available loan programs, or have to to change th unt notice?
Speaker 3: Did you know?
Speaker 8: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 3: And trading card games.
Speaker 8: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 10: Richard bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard McCall five to two oh seven to four to ROH twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 12: Go Cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 13: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mining, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals.
Speaker 4: In the process.
Speaker 13: That's plime mining is so important.
Speaker 3: Go to vybm dot com.
Speaker 14: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodeled, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one stop warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between. You'll find it all here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover. Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you our shop online at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 5: This is I on the Wall on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Want to take part in the show? Call up Steve now went five to two oh four one, six seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back, joining the ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's a silver good About ten twelve minutes left here on the end of the day. If you'd like to calls, please do five to two zero four one six seventy four to forty. What do you think about what Tommy said today? I think he's accurate in what he's talking about, is that it wasn't a criticism, it wasn't distract Yeah as well, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's it is interesting. You know, again, the UVA has fans who've been going.
Speaker 1: To these games. I've had my tickets for forty five years.
Speaker 2: I mean, people like that, so you know, it probably does get a little bit stale. That's not maybe not maybe not the right word, but people have been there and they kind of know how to act and that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hello, you're on the ball, You're on eye on the balls.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, George, here man, George.
Speaker 1: That's what do you got?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 4: Who would you rather have?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I walked out of the wind. Who would you rather have? Calipari or loud Olsen? Because they both have one national championship?
Speaker 1: Now yeah, not even no.
Speaker 6: But but but but Cala Pari, you know, like they're one and the same. But Cali Parti is now like chasing I don't know, pipe dreams in Arkansas or wherever you right now, I forget now, but you know what I mean? Like, who would like loot stage? But they kicked Cali. I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: Wait, you're trying to Are you trying to persuade us to go one way and not the other? But to me, and I've said this, George, George, I've said this for a little I've said this for ten twelve years. Cali Parti is the most overrated college coach in a long time. So if you're asking me about Lute and Cala Parti, I might be a little bassed. But lut was more of a basketball savant than Calu not a little more a lot more than than Cali Pari was a coach. If that makes any sense, Oh.
Speaker 1: I totally agree.
Speaker 6: But if you like, I don't know, like in the two thousands, let's just say, uh, if you wanted to go to the NBA, where did you go, Kentucky Calipari.
Speaker 3: Well, here's here's here's the issue, George. Those guys were already NBA ready. They just had to go somewhere for nine months and then get drafted. Cali Parti didn't teach him how to play the.
Speaker 15: Game, I mean, but did But Didlutlutlut had lout had dudes that stayed awhile and they became better ball players.
Speaker 3: The one thing, and I'm not trying to defend Lute at all, he didn't need my defense. But the one thing that the things at the end of the NBA people said that the things with the U of A guys when they would get to the NBA, they were NBA ready. They knew exactly what to do, how to do it because they did a lot of the concepts here. They were you know what I'm saying, Cali Party, those dudes were already one and done. Do you think they learned basketball to get better in nine months. They were already they were already good to go.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 6: Before your last person or before your last guy, like I just when it came up. I was like, huh, I wonder because Luke and Colin Party each have.
Speaker 4: Won, yeah, one champion and sort to.
Speaker 6: Think about it, they just took different approaches.
Speaker 2: But also Lute was not really in the whole one and done era like Cala Perry to be.
Speaker 3: He was near the end, you know, to be. And then then Bayless Bayless, Bayliss was he didn't coach with the Bayless that he was out by that time. But you know, okay, George keep calling, Thank you man.
Speaker 2: I mean, look at Calipari's record is still briefing than George.
Speaker 1: You got fifty wins. Here we go.
Speaker 3: Someone tried to call in and we couldn't get you on. Hell you're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 1: Who's this You.
Speaker 16: Better take the right of George to ever call again with that take. It's stupidity.
Speaker 1: That average that's.
Speaker 4: Apples to kick in.
Speaker 3: You know what, It's crap, It's crap.
Speaker 4: It was a crap take.
Speaker 3: It's just crap.
Speaker 1: Because the.
Speaker 16: Economic ramification that loude Olsen has had on this community. And this university is paramount. Nike is here, the Tucson is put on the map. Yes, Jojo left his herd and Tucson Arizona. It got California grass. Ludo said, put this place on the map. And for this dude, George too, to compare him to a slide ball like col A party, you could there was there was an instance or a point time where you could compare my my, my, my boy U dang before Lloyd Jinga I forgot to make Sean Miller to Cala PARTI for the way they were recruiting and recruiting when and does But you're you're talking about two different things and two different eras, and what Lou meant and what he.
Speaker 7: Did economically Califari could never say that he did that to Memphis or or he did that to Kentucky because Kentucky was established already.
Speaker 3: And you say, Lud the team, maybe we maybe we.
Speaker 1: Could talk about that.
Speaker 16: But to call a party, dude, I just shaking my head at this raid.
Speaker 1: How do you really feel his hair?
Speaker 3: Did you? Was it your birthday just recently and they gave you a thesaurus and you had to use those more good to hear from you, fat Mike. Good to hear from you, I hope pretty well. And he's gone. I think he's good. Thank you, Mike.
Speaker 1: Uh that was that was that was That was pretty good though. He actually made some pretty pretty strong points.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was not trying to compare him. He just who would you take, right color party?
Speaker 2: It's kind of interesting. Whould you take now? Like you know same you know forty years ago? You take a Lutelson because he's going to stick around, He's going to build something and he's going to be important to in the university.
Speaker 3: You're on the air.
Speaker 4: Who's this economic gradmafact?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? It means more students?
Speaker 3: What do you got t money? Go ahead, give me your imitations.
Speaker 17: Yeah, hey, I don't know if the FDC spokes banglish Man, you guys be in trouble. But uh no, I don't know. I just wanted to say economic gramarfic on the radio.
Speaker 3: Well, tell me tell me what you said you think about this team? Do they have a chance to win a few? I mean in the next two three weeks?
Speaker 17: You know, I think this this big twelve tournament on the most ugly court of all time is going to to tell us what what's gonna happen here? If they go in there and just stink it up in casey and come home like I'm done, Like I'll just watch the women's n I t I don't know, but like I was gonna think, these guys have to show some fire man, Yeah, to show some fire Caleb Love. Maybe he has to change his last name. I don't know what he gots to do, but it's on his shoulders, Like he has to get to the tin from the top of the key at will. He can't do that, then, uh, then it's going to be one hundred and ten degrees pretty soon.
Speaker 3: Did you? Did you take offense to what Tommy said so Saturday?
Speaker 17: No, I think that that multiple things can be absolutely true at the same time. Like I get it, but I also get that the Big twelve is protecting its own and and Kansas got to play us at home on at two o'clock on a Saturday, and we had our Saturday, our senior Day at nine o'clock at night on.
Speaker 1: A Tuesday, Like that is stupid.
Speaker 7: And I will beat that drum.
Speaker 1: I will beat that drum.
Speaker 17: The working man needs to bring his kids to the games, and and no where, no person in the right mind is going to be doing this Tuesday thing at nine o'clock. This is unsustainable and Sandra Bullet needs to address that with the big twelve centrable.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right to money, Thanks bunch, thanks so much, you got your words in. Thank you man.
Speaker 1: All right, that's very true, very true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, haven't a senior night at really like what eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: At least yet least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still you couldn't even hear the guys. I mean, the microphones in that building was bad. It was bad football. Do you you go fan and football? Those things are bad.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that until I was a fan. In for football, I would have never known. And in basketball too, it's muzzled. It's it's it's not you can't hear it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean again, you know, with a new regime, we'll see if there's feedback there and if the fans are complaining.
Speaker 1: I didn't know about this fan council.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, no, I did not know. Get them on the show, Yeah, to get them on the who's there and what kind of advice they want to give to.
Speaker 3: The well, I think what you said to to Brian when you heard that, they're going to go back, take their notes and review the whole situation. Right probably after the season's finally done. We get them in May, maybe as long as they I think she has intentions to get things done and done differently. Right now, Let's see if it gets implemented, right, because what's the point of getting these surveys. You're not going to do anything with them.
Speaker 1: It's going to be it's going to be the two big sports.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's going to be something at football and they'll switch up and you know, let's see, she's had a year to watch games and different situations, different teams, different times, different times of the day. There's gonna be what some Friday games we know already for this next football season, that's gonna be another different dynamics.
Speaker 1: So I had a lot lot to think about, a lot to work on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm not from here. You're not from here. There's a lot of people not from here. You have to please a lot of people because they're from Iowa or wherever. They're not their hometown, and you probably have to sell it because you were trying to sell you of a right to people who have no connections to you. Of a Yeah, well, I mean they were alums. Well you went to alums. But did you go to other people that didn't have time?
Speaker 2: Sometimes people with money, I mean people many people who give to Arizona are not alums that say live here, that want to buy their tickets or want to go to the shows, want to go to the concerts and stuff like that. So they're not always going to be Arizona grads. But but you're right. I mean, in general, you know, the fans expect to be entertained and I expected to switch up every once in a while. And you know how that fan experience that's always been something the UFA has talked about. We want to get people you know, home early or whatever, get them at home safely, and I'm sure they'll be you know, kind of looking at how the whole game days is set up.
Speaker 3: Right right that said, thanks day for coming on in. I'll see you Thursday, okay, probably with another author or two.
Speaker 2: Right, don't forget to Tucson Festival of Books coming up on Saturday, Sunday.
Speaker 3: Saturday and Sunday all day, right, all.
Speaker 2: Day ten o'clock until like five, So just head out to the campus.
Speaker 3: Right and every type of genre of book you want to. It's not just sports.
Speaker 1: You can't find a book the type there.
Speaker 3: Children's adult, Yeah, everything seriously, from children's to adults. Great people people watching plays. Two definitely yeah, Okay, thanks Dave. We'll see you guys tomorrow. From my end,