Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start calling him Steve not.
Speaker 3: A fan Gary Shannon and Steve.
Speaker 2: Steve is not a fan of much.
Speaker 3: You know what, that's a false mischaracterization.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of you last night.
Speaker 3: I was one four after zucchini.
Speaker 2: I didn't have any more zucchini. Yeah, salmon and spinach last night?
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: What is that over salmon? What does that mean? Bragging?
Speaker 3: Yes? Really?
Speaker 2: Well? What did you have for dinner?
Speaker 3: Spaghetti with meat sauce?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Meat, It would have been nice anyway. I was thinking about you, Steve, because I was watching Whiplash again. Oh such a great film. Oh never gets old for me.
Speaker 4: You know what I binged the other day over last weekend was Tokyo Swindlers on Netflix.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty amazing the chap music. No, no, no, it's about real estate swindlers.
Speaker 1: That's that was apropos of nothing. I brought up Whiplash because you're a band guy. Yeah, but no, I thought you were what you watch on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Were you sorry but whiplash?
Speaker 4: I love whiplash, and I thought it was just that was a great homage to to all the bangee oh so good.
Speaker 3: Were you rushing or were you dragging? I had teachers like that.
Speaker 2: Like that. I think I would like to be yelled at like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, weirdo. Just to quick Friday guys of our stories that were following.
Speaker 5: Today, the US and Russia have made their biggest prisoner swap in post Soviet history. Oscar released US journalist Evan Gershkovich Michigan corporate security executive Paul Wheelan, along with dissidents including Vladimir Kara Murza, in a multi national deal that officials say has set two dozen people free.
Speaker 3: They said it was convicted in Germany.
Speaker 5: Of the Russians got back Vadim Krazikov, convicted in Germany of killing a former chech and Reba in a park in Berlin.
Speaker 4: I think you just love these stories because you like to get to say the names. I just love it when you say all the names, because I think you just love doing that. You love all the foreign names. You take such pride to this. Vladimir Kara Murza, Yeah, I just think you love saying those. I think it would be very boring for you. It's like John Smith just came home today on a Russian plane. I don't think you'd like that. I think I just thought it was.
Speaker 3: I rushing or was I draft?
Speaker 4: No, you were great, and I just love how you. I love how you take great care in pronouncing all these names.
Speaker 2: It's not fetish.
Speaker 1: Friday, Steve all right, So, an LAPD officer has been under scrutiny for punching a man under arrest during a trap stop. You've seen the video. It's been everywhere. The guys in handcuffs. Steve Gregory came in here this morning says that he has looked at new evidence that show the whole story is not being told.
Speaker 5: This is the sound that made its way through social media when video was taken from bystanders watching the arrest of this guy. So that was the punch, yeah, And that starts half a second before the punch.
Speaker 4: And that and that's the perspective and that's the only context that everyone got for that incident. LAPD released body worn video from both officers that were at that traffic stop on July twenty eighth in the South East part of Los Angeles, I believe, near the intersection of one hundred and thirteenth in Graham Avenue. And what had happened was officers noticed this car, this sedan, parked on the wrong way on a street with heavily tinted windows, which sparks suspicion if a car is parked on the wrong way, facing the wrong direction with heavily illegally tinted windows. Officers approach and they look in, and initially they didn't think anyone was in the car.
Speaker 3: They thought someone just parked it there and ran in and got something.
Speaker 4: Now, in this first cut, this is audio from the first officer's perspective and the exchange that happened.
Speaker 6: Hey, throw the windows down. You roll the windows down, roll the windows down. You're parked in your double parked. So was going over your double park, man, and you're sitting in the car walk the car.
Speaker 3: You got a license on the.
Speaker 5: Going over?
Speaker 3: I just told you, man, was going on.
Speaker 6: I'm I have an idea on you your double park But what does that mean though there's a cut your double parking in the street.
Speaker 5: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Youse? I got everything?
Speaker 6: Why license for me?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: I do why because you're ignoring me. I didn't ignore it. Did you step on the car?
Speaker 2: The car?
Speaker 3: Aren't that?
Speaker 6: Where does the car.
Speaker 5: For?
Speaker 3: What had you down for weapons? Okay?
Speaker 4: So from there it starts to de escalate, or it starts to escalate rather and it gets really you know, it just it goes on and on.
Speaker 3: That guy just kept saying what did I do? What did I do? What did I do?
Speaker 4: He would never provide I d never provide idea And it just kept going back and forth. The entire incident took about thirty three minutes. So you saw that snapshot of a few seconds. Now in this next cut, you're gonna hear the moment. You heard the moment there where the bystander caught the punch. And then this is the audio from the other officers, the second officers perspective.
Speaker 7: Way for yourself, just put your head on, put your hands on, your hand on your back.
Speaker 3: That's the punch. Okay.
Speaker 4: Did you hear the click of the handcuffs there right toward the end, that's when he was handcuffed.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the he had only had one cuff on the.
Speaker 4: Left hand was cuffed and they had to use two pair of handcuffs because a big fellow, because he's.
Speaker 3: Such a big guy.
Speaker 4: Over six two, I believe is what the analysis was, and over three hundred and something pounds.
Speaker 1: Because for some reason, the city of Los Angeles sticks with the same civil rights activist for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Nausea Lee. That was his sticking point.
Speaker 1: This young man at his hands behind his back, handcuffed, he was not a threat, and and that's when the officer punched him in the face for no reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that has been kind of the main point there.
Speaker 3: Steve Gregory has joined us.
Speaker 5: We're talking about this video that has made its way around southern Californian and around the country as a matter of fact, in an arrest of or an attempted detention of twenty eight year old guy Alexander Mitchell, who was initially stopped at a traffic stop, or he had been stopped, but he was double parked facing the wrong way on a street when the officers first approached him. The video that made its way around showed one of the officers punching this guy while they were trying to handcuff him. So you can, with a closed fist punch somebody in the face. According to policy. Well, here's how works.
Speaker 4: And in that particular case, if you watch the video, how would you characterize the severity of that punch.
Speaker 5: Well, on a guy that's that size, I mean, it'd be like it'd be like me punching a bag of wheat, Okay, And it didn't appear to have much of an impact, although it did stun the guy enough that it's appeared that he stopped struggling.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: It's called a distraction strike, and that's what the LAPD trains for. It's part of the training so that when there's a subject that's being detained. And let's make it perfectly clear, in the beginning of this incident.
Speaker 2: A compliance punch, Well, it's.
Speaker 3: A distraction strike. You can call it whatever you want. Yeah I will.
Speaker 4: But the guy was not under arrest right initially, and at the very least they were trying to pat him down because of two things. First of all, the car was suspicious parked where it was and how it was parked with heavily tinted windows in rolling nineties cripshborhoods in that territory, so officers know this going in, so they've got a little bit of intel when they're walking up to a situation like this, There could be anybody in that car with a gun. There could be anybody in that car who knows and they have to walk up to that car very cautiously. So when they determined that there was at least one person in there, and they ask him to roll his windows down and they wanted to get a full view of what's going on, which is still legal. Now the argument had been made, well, you know, he was racially profiled. How do you racially profile somebody when you can't see in the windows. So they finally get the guy to come out, and they want to pad him down because that is standard operating procedure in a case like this, according to officers.
Speaker 3: Why is that?
Speaker 2: Is it because of the neighborhood a potential threat?
Speaker 3: If they've identified a potential threat, I don't know what.
Speaker 1: How would he be identified? And I'm just I'm not trying to play Devil's advocate. I'm just I'm curious. How would he be labeled as a threat? Is it the tinted windows and the initial failure to.
Speaker 3: Comply, that's the beginning of it. And in the area that you're at and.
Speaker 2: In the area so it's a right confluence of things exactly.
Speaker 4: And I don't know what was going through that officer's mind, and presumably that will come out in the investigation, what he was thinking and how far he went. But according to everyone I've talked to this far, both on the command level and the training level and the LAPD, they told me that everything up to that point was being followed per protocol. You know, the point of the strike, and it was protocol to pat him down and figure out what was going on people that are detained, and that's the difference between detained and arrested. Detained, you can be handcuffed and not arrested. You're handcuffed and detained while they figure out if the area is safe and clear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and sometimes they have to check your car for weapons or right.
Speaker 4: And they do it in a way where they need to be assured that that person's not going to do something right. I know it's demeaning and demoralizing to be handcuffed when you probably didn't do anything wrong. I get that, but that's a society we live in, and that's to ensure the safety of the officers and bystanders. Possibly, so he was going to be detained initially, and then he escalated the situation by being well, as you look on the video from the perspective of the body cam, at least he's he clearly appears to resist lawful commands.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, and that's that's one of the problems we've seen over and over again when a video comes out from a bystander, it's often we don't get the context is mix is.
Speaker 4: Nothing the lead up to that incident, and then and then it exacerbates the situation when a sitting member of the LA Police Commission indicts the officer. On the meeting Tuesday, a commissioner Klancha said, you know, this was uncalled for, and she's already judge and jury without having seen the body worn video.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: The attorney and the mother of the guy involved has a press conference in front of headquarters on Tuesday before seeing the body worn video and starts to make all kinds of accusations. As Shannon mentioned, Naji Ali, he's already you know, piling.
Speaker 3: Onto this thing.
Speaker 4: No one has seen the other side of the story, and the mother asserted that the officer that hit her son was white. The officer is Hispanic. The other officer is African American. So what happened to the officer through the punch? He has been taken off of field duty as per protocol, and he will he sit me on a desk and tell the investigations over force investigation divisions looking at.
Speaker 5: Her, you know. Okay, So here's the question is he placed on that Is he taken off of field duty just because of the situation or is he taken off of field duty because someone files a complaint?
Speaker 4: Both because there was a non coutgorical use of force. Anytime there's a use of force, you're taken off duty like that and tell the investigations complete. So that's standard procedure in this case. Obviously there's a complaint being filed against him too, so he's going to have to sit in the in the bullpen, if you will, until it's adjudicated. Now, whether this thing goes and I will tell you this. Somebody at command level that I spoke with about this, while they characterized it as they felt like it was a pretty fair, you know, a fair reaction from officers. They also said this would not be the first time that officers in the LAPD were thrown under the bus by leadership.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So they suspect because it's a political season and other things that are going on, they suspect that these officers will probably have to fall on the sword.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was just watching some own biles on the beam. I get nervous.
Speaker 3: Oh, we sorry to take you away from the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Steve.
Speaker 1: I'm an American. Okay, First of all, you're also a talk show host. I'm an American.
Speaker 3: First who thank you for spending time with us, Steve. That's enough, no sense?
Speaker 2: Did you want a good story? I want what you want it?
Speaker 1: Okay? Do we have any good story music? Or should we just not do that? That's about a father and a daughter, so probably not. I I don't know what their orientation is with the Lord.
Speaker 2: Again, father daughter forgetting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just about something that works.
Speaker 2: And I know it's Christmasy, but it is Christmasy. It's kind of feels sacrilegious Christmas in August.
Speaker 1: Okay, a father and see me, Valley gave his daughter the gift of a lifetime.
Speaker 2: What did he give her? Was it a pony?
Speaker 5: No, nay, pony, it was his It was dumb. Listen, I get accused of a lot of dumb jokes that was dumb. Yeah, well, thank you should be.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that you called me out on it, because if you were just going to let that slip by, that's not a real friend.
Speaker 5: I did say something yesterday. My wife said to me, you're not old enough to make that joke.
Speaker 7: What was it.
Speaker 3: I'd have to look at it, but I'll say that to you as well. You or not, I am not old.
Speaker 2: That's my husband's kind of joke.
Speaker 3: That joke, Okay.
Speaker 2: A father and CV Valley gave his daughter the gift of a lifetime.
Speaker 1: When he gave her his free Disneyland ticket from nineteen eighty five. It was August of nineteen eighty five when Scott King won a free park ticket after visiting the Magic Kingdom during its thirtieth anniversary see. As part of the celebration, every thirtieth guest received a prize.
Speaker 2: Wow, he said, I forgot all about it. I really didn't pay much attention to it over the years.
Speaker 1: Instead of redeeming the prize shortly after, he held onto the ticket for thirty nine years, he stuck the free ticket in a scrapbook. Forgot about it until now, he said. My daughter decided she wanted to go to Disneyland with her boyfriend. She was telling me how expensive it was and everything. I said, you know, I have a ticket. Let me see if I can grab it. So he goes into the garage. Scott does and goes through all the boxes and all the albums and things, and he finds the album where he had put the golden ticket, and there it was sitting in one of the old scrap books.
Speaker 2: But the problem is is this ticket was from nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: The price of admission to Disneyland in nineteen eighty five was just sixteen dollars and fifty cents.
Speaker 2: That's not that long ago.
Speaker 1: That was the first year I went to Disneyland eighty five. Yeah, sixteen dollars and fifty cents. Today the price is start at roughly one hundred dollars sixteen fIF However, when she took the ticket from nineteen eighty five face value sixteen dollars and fifty cents to Disneyland in twenty twenty four, Disneyland honored it.
Speaker 3: Good for them, What a.
Speaker 1: Great story, you know, what a smart move by Disneyland. Oh yeah, if you didn't honor it, how short sighted would that be? You're trying to make up eighty bucks, eighty five bucks, something like that, instead of having the good publicity that this is.
Speaker 5: There was a of course, I mean ABC seven did the story. Yeah, owned by Disney.
Speaker 3: Oh I see not saying that it's not it's still a good story.
Speaker 1: I don't know what news we have one good news story and you have to go crap.
Speaker 3: All over it. There is a corporate thread that kind of runs through that.
Speaker 2: You can why can't we have something nice?
Speaker 5: I believe that I also have free tickets to Disneyland somewhere.
Speaker 2: Well, now they're not going to honor it because of what you've said.
Speaker 3: They don't know that they why would they not have They're going to.
Speaker 2: Say, we heard what you said. They're at the gate to do something nice.
Speaker 3: They do not check me at the gate.
Speaker 5: But it was the reason that we got these tickets was, and I've told this story before, my wife and I went before we were married. We drove from northern California. It was going to be a big trip for us, a first time, like to drive that long together. And we're staying with her family members down in Tustin and we go to Disneyland on a Friday, maybe Saturday, one of the It was a weekend.
Speaker 3: Day though, and it was very busy. It was June.
Speaker 5: It was also very hot, and we just were standing in line. We're not riding any rides, right, and there's nothing fun about it. We're sweating, we're making soup like none of it was good. And we finally decided we're going to leave. So we get it's maybe three o'clock in the afternoon. We're going to go back to her cousin's house and swim in the pool or something, something relaxing, we know what. Before we go, she says, I'm going to stop by Disney City Hall. Why because I'm going to tell them this is not safe. There's too many people here. Fire marshalls should be told. We could probably just go No, no, we're going to go to city Hall. So we go into City Hall you know where that is before you leave, and we walk in and she's like, listen, we spent a lot of money. We drove a long time. This is awful. This is really really bad. There's way too many people walking through people's parts. I'm getting people's strollers in my ankles all day long. This is really awful. You've let too many people into Disneyland. The beautiful cast member was so nice. I'm sure she'd heard it a dozen times by that point. She says, we're really sorry that you haven't had a great day. And here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna give you two free passes that you can use anytime in the calendar year. Come back anytime on us, and we hope that next time is better. Okay, Oh that was nice because they were expensive. Yeah, sure, she said. The only catch is that you have to leave the park like you can't do this and then just get free tickets and go back into the park.
Speaker 3: And we're like, that's fine. We're on our way out anyway, so she says.
Speaker 5: She beckons over another cast member, a guy named Frankie, and says to Frankie, could you please they didn't have the greatest time, you know, and whatever escort them out. So he's walking with us, and he's a really nice guy, and he continue the whole I'm really sorry it wasn't great, you know.
Speaker 3: I I hope you come back. I hope this doesn't taint your memories of Disneyland.
Speaker 5: And as we're standing there, my wife's still pretty hot about this, sure. And she's standing in front of me, facing Frankie, who's facing the two of us, so I'm behind her, and she goes, you know what, they say that Disneyland's the happiest place on earth, but today it's not wow.
Speaker 2: And that's like, that's like lapd punching Frankie in the head.
Speaker 5: I'm standing behind her, trying not to laugh, holding my hands in front of my face, trying not to laugh because I could tell for her tone of voice.
Speaker 2: I could tell she was serious and trying to be a joke. And Frankie's looking at her like, is that are you crazy, lady?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 5: And he's like, well again, I'm really sorry. She got two steps out of the gate and then went, oh my god, what did I just say? I know, and I said, I started laughing, and I said, this will never die and this story will never have is wonderful.
Speaker 2: That is wonderful. But whatever, use those a wonderful gesture. They're probably still good.
Speaker 3: What I is any indication When.
Speaker 1: I was arrested at Disneyland and taken to the jail cell there and left there for a few hours. Upon my escorting out of the park, they told me I was banned from Disneyland, and the feel good story there is I went back several times, repeatedly, despite the fact they had your picture, on the fact that I am banned, so they let me back in as well. You know, great stories about Disney All Around.
Speaker 5: We've had on in the studio, And here the Olympics that are going on. They're doing the women's all around individual all around where instead of the team, each gymnast gets to do the four apparat high and then they get the gold medal. This is the one that Sunny Lee won in Tokyo a couple of years ago. Simone Biles apparently in the lead right now, after three rotations, sunny Lee.
Speaker 2: Is separated tied for four by a tenth of a percentage point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good. That's good and close. And then the last I believe is the floor exercise.
Speaker 1: I just watch and I take it all in and then they tell me who wins. I don't try to figure it out.
Speaker 5: There is a woman from Santa Monica, Vivian Robinson, who has attended seven Summer Olympic Games over the span of forty years. This this one, this is pretty expensive. They said, it's about a ten thousand dollars ticket for sixty six year old Vivian to go to Santa Monica, soid she maxed out her credit cards, worked a couple of jobs to afford the trip and the thirty eight event tickets that she purchased.
Speaker 1: Did you hear about this this gender issue that's going on. There's an Italian woman boxer who's now speaking out. She quit her Olympic bout against a boxer who previously failed gender eligibility tests. Angela Cararini is the Italian female boxer who says she was not making a political statement when she quit forty six seconds into the match. She was not refusing to fight the person who failed the gender eligibility test, person by the name of Amman Calif from Algeria. The Italian Angela said she quit because of the pain she felt from the initial punches, because when a man is punching you in the face, it hurts.
Speaker 5: The Algerian boxer landed one great hit square on her face, and even if they're wearing headgear in Olympic boxing, she said it felt like her nose broke and she was angry about it. She actually very tearful video that she made with reporters afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's talking about.
Speaker 5: How she promised her late father that she would never give up, that she didn't do well in Tokyo, that she was in pain, she was tired, and she had a really hard time training, but that she would never give up and she was going to go back into the Olympics, of which she did obviously. Again, when I saw a couple of tweets about the Olympics allowing men to box women, the community notes were saying that the videos that were being posted were actually from previous years. It wasn't even because boxing hadn't even started when I saw some of those. But this boxer from Algeria, like you said, was not allowed to compete internationally.
Speaker 1: She had been banned by the International Amateur Boxing League because she failed testosterone and gender eligibility tests. Chinese Taipei's lin U Ting also previously failed the gender eligibility tests and will be competing at the Olympics on Friday. How come you can fail these and then be an Olympian, I don't.
Speaker 5: So there's something about the body that was in charge of the international competitions, not the International Olympic Committee, but the boxing, International Boxing. I don't know what it is that their test was, do you have an X Y chromosome or do you have two X chromosomes? And if you had the X Y you would not be allowed to compete because boy, But if there's also something about the level of testosterone that existed in the body, and I don't know if there are other things that they do to you know, what is that pull the shorts down and say what do you got there? Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's part of the test.
Speaker 2: That sounds like it would be too intrusive to have to show your genitals, But at the.
Speaker 3: Same time, at the same time, wouldn't I it doesn't always answer the questions like you come to.
Speaker 1: Work and it would be inappropriate for Robin to say, take off your pants, let me see what you're working with.
Speaker 3: But also that there's not a requirement for me to have that to work here, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just saying it's improper to have to show your genitals to be able to do your job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but in the event that your gender is going to change when you go to fantasy camp, yeah, which is all men?
Speaker 2: No, Oh, it's not.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, what are you sexist women can't play baseball.
Speaker 5: There were out of a ninety plus campers last time, I think there were three women and they could. Yeah, they could all play. I bet that is not a that's a self selecting group and they know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Is that the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll go along to fantasy camp this year. That would be fun.
Speaker 3: I doubt it. You can stay at the resort, you can just stay there. Say anything.
Speaker 1: Don't say anything. Now I can't even speak.
Speaker 3: That's probably better.
Speaker 2: I can't play or speak.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 5: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap