Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day, now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Somebody asked this on the text line earlier today, and I haven't gone back and looked at and looked it up to answer your question, but you may be right. I think this is at least the third or fourth time maybe that Louisville has had roughly a week off between games, and part of me says that it's actually pretty common. We just haven't in a while been, as you know, addicted to watching this team play, because it's been a while since the has been good at basketball, and this team, man, they've been They've been awesome to watch. It's not just that we like to see them win, which they've done a lot of that really. I mean, they have one loss since December fourteenth, but just watching them play, I mean, these guys again, I don't think i'm speaking out a turn here when I say that they'll be remembered for a long time really, regardless of what happens the rest of the way. I mean, it'd be a real bummer if if they're remembered, because man, it was such a fun ride and it came to a terrible ending. I mean, I don't think that's going to happen, but I just think the way they've kind of and it's it's corny, I know, I get it, but the revival, like it's really happening. The program is being revived, and it's guys who are mostly going to only be here for about a year, and they're seeing the fans really, you know, week by week seemingly get more and more energized by how hard they're playing, the success they're having, and you can tell that they appreciate and they can certainly pick up how much this fan base loves what they've been able to do. And it's not just the players, it's Pat his staff, everybody from top to bottom. So yeah, I mean, I feel like this is this is the most we've had throughout a season ever where we have to wait a week or even longer sometimes to watch him play. And we're currently in that situation now because they played on Sunday night, which was kind of ran and we didn't talk a whole lot about that game yesterday, and it wasn't one of their better performances, but I mean, I mean, they still won without much trouble, and you know, in fact, it was another win that I believed. I believe they ended up jumping up in the in the metrics. I think that, Yeah, they went from twenty seven to twenty five after the fifteen point road win at Notre Dame. So now they've got Saturday. I don't know, is that a night game? They played Florida State at home? Who of course they're just kind of hoping their season ends, right, I don't. I mean it's Florida. Actually Florida State did steal a win against wake Forest last week, but really they've had a tough year, and Leonard Hamilton walking away and being the end of his career is obviously you know, it's just awkward. I mean, I think you've got a few teams in the ACC right now that are having some awkward finishes just because I mean, Laryone is out, he left mid season. They're not going to hire the interim Virginia is not going to hire the guy who Tony Bennett tried to get the job. I mean, we know Leonard Hamilton's moving on. I would be shocked if Syracuse doesn't make a move because of how bad they are. So it's kind of an awkward ending of the season for some teams in Florida State's one of them, and they'll be here on Saturday, and you know, Louisville again, not a whole lot to gain here because you know, a win is really just what you're supposed to do, and because of Florida State, like many of the ACC teams just not being very good at all, a win is again what you're supposed to do, and there's not a whole lot of value that you're going to get.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: You could beat them by thirty, which would be great. That may bump you up a little bit when it comes to the net ranking and the Ken Palm and that kind of stuff. But yeah, I mean, I just look at the rest of these games over the next five games. You know, just take care of business, and you know you can still try to get better in those games. But I would I would, you know, I'd be a liar if I told you that I feel like Louisville because again, when I say they can't get better, I just I'm probably not gonna watch much in these next five games, regardless of the score, to feel like, man, they're getting even better. They might be, but I just think it's gonna be tougher to tell because I think they're already pretty good right now. By the way, the game is at noon on Saturday, so just keep that in mind. All right, it's Coffee and Company. We are philby Thornton's. My voice sounds different, but it is me. I can promise you that, and the voice has actually improved. We had a we had a rough stretch in that first segment. I got about fifteen minutes in and had a flat tire essentially where I we had to pull off the road and and regroup and get that. Uh yeah, because it was it was not good. But little hydration, some throat lozenges, and uh, I'm feeling much better. Waterman cures everything. Hydration is key. It is absolutely key. So one of the things we did talk about for those of you just now joining us has just this new world of college sports where the portal matters, and NIL of course is a big factor, and why guys decide to go to certain schools once they hit the portal. Nil's a factor and why some guys even make the decision to enter the portal at all. And I just think when you look at the teams that were viewed to be real. You know, they were supposed to be really really good this year that aren't. There's not that many of them, in fact, if you look at like the preseason top twenty five college basketball pole. I mean, I'm sure there are some that have not at all been able to live up to what they were expected to do. But Kansas is certainly one of them. Because last night they lost by nearly forty points. They're probably I mean, there's no way they're going to be in the top twenty five moving forward. I mean, I can't imagine they will be. But they've now lost i think it's seven games in Big Twelve play for the second straight year. Prior to the last two seasons, they'd never lost more than six in league play. So I still am not going to write them off as if they're terrible, because I still think they have got talent and they've got a really good coach. But they're a mess right now, and it sounds like just about everybody is viewing it as an issue with just guys getting along and playing and working well together. They've got a hell of a coach and they've got a lot of talent, but they're kind of a mess right now, and they were the preseason number one team in the country for obvious reasons. I'm not bringing this up to say Bill self is a bum. Clearly it's on him. Coaches have to figure this out, but I think it's a real reminder that having all the talent is a big part of the job, right like getting the best players possible is and always will be a humongous component to how you've become successful in college basketball. I don't think there's anything they could do to the game that's ever going to change that. But you can have enough talent to beat anybody, but it's got to work well together. And it's not just about all, right, are these guys compatible on the floor as players, it's also are they compatible who work together as a team, And there's really no way to know that because it's all bad. I mean, think about how many coaches out there are coaching guys right now that they didn't they'd never met a year ago because they you know, they were playing at a different school, and they didn't recruit them at a high school, and they waited till they got in the portal in order to start recruiting them. So you've got to be able to really get through to your guys, regardless of age, Veterans that are five year college players, freshmen that are just coming in, and there's got to be a collective buying from your team, and they've got to believe in you and what your vision is. And Louisville, they're not going to be able to go get a Rain Smith every year. They're not going to be able to go get a Terrence Edwards and a Chucky Hepburn every year. I mean, I hope they can, but I actually think those guys are pretty special and we were lucky to get them, not only because of their ability, but because of their maturity. They played a lot of basketball. You know, they're they're very selfless guys, and it's not that that's impossible to find. But I just think Pat Kelsey and really Mark Pope as well, they have an element about him as people that you can see why guys would like to play for them, why they are good leaders, And I just think that's one of those things that you've always needed that to an extent, But in the previous world, without the portal and nil and all that, you could be the drill sergeant. You could be the dictator and they'd have to conform to you. But now guys can just leave at any moment. I mean they really can. I mean it doesn't happen as often, but like there are guys this year in college basketball that have already left their team. Like they're still around, but like they're already it's already. I mean, in fact, I just saw during the break there's a kid from Saint Louis. I do only know of his name because of his dad. His dad played it at Saint Louis and in the NBA's name was Larry Hughes. Larry Hughes Junior is at Saint Louis playing for Josh Shirtz and he's going to hit the portal. I mean, he's still on the team, but like it's a known thing that he's moving on. So guys can just up and leave now. So you've got to be able to balance that, right, like find a way to keep them working hard, buying in and really just again it sounds corny, but just believing in what it is you're selling, in your vision for everybody and the power of the unit is something you hear Pat Kelsey talk about quite a bit. I'm sure it's corny to some, but I can tell he means it when he preaches it, and he tries to really establish that culture within the locker room from top to bottom. Coach, players, support staff all that and these guys believe it too. And you may have times where guys come in and they don't buy in, and that could be an issue. In fact, I think a good example is Jeff Brom. That happened last year in the portal. They went to the portal and brought in some guys that went through springball, and Jeff Brom packed their stuff and told them to hit the road when springball concluded, because they were not good locker room guys. They were not there for the right reasons. And that's I think that's almost impossible to vet. So sometimes you may get a guy who might be more of a knucklehead than you anticipated, but it's your job as a coach to rain that in and get everybody on the same page. And some coaches are just not going to be good at that at all, Like, for example, I don't think Cala Perry's good at that, but he can still have success if he has the right pieces that he needs. I'm not picking on him. But I just feel like he's a guy that his most successful teams have not been you know, teams that have been put together the way that teams are put together. Now, there's a reason he had a dramatic decline as a coach in the last few years at Kentucky and even currently at Arkansas. So like Bill self is struggling with that this year, maybe next year he's learned from this and he gets guys that are more so willing to buy in and be a part of what they're doing rather than just coming there to you know, try to be the same guy they were at their previous school, because I think that's probably bad to guess that's probably the issue. Kansas brought in a lot of transfers that had some big options, right, paid a lot of money to come to Kansas because it's Kansas. But they also brought back a core from a team last year that was pretty good and it's just not it's not gelling and that happens, and as a coach, you can blame it on that. Hey, these guys just don't like each other. And look, sometimes that's not really your control, but you know what, it's your job. That's that's that's where we are now. That that's that's that's the game. You got it. That that's a big important component. So I just think both both coaches around here louisll and Kentucky Mark Pope and Pat Kelsey, I think they both have, you know, that that kind of that that kind of an element about them as individuals that can get guys to collectively buy in. And I know, all this just sounds like, you know, corny, and you know, you just need the best players, and look, you need all that. But I think there are examples of teams right now that have a lot of talent but it's not working. And maybe it's because the guys they got weren't as good as they thought. But I don't think that's the case with Kansas. I just don't think it's it's working. I mean some other teams that I would say are probably and again there's no way to know for sure why a team is disappointing. But Baylor was preseason number eight. I thought Baylor had a roster that was as good as anybody's because you have nor Shadowmere, who's been a great college player forever, a proven double double, really good player, Jeremy Roach played at Duke for how many years? Really good guard at Duke, really good shooter. Those are two transfers coming in that are probably picking wherever they want when they hit the portal. I mean, Omeir went to the Final four with Miami. You mix that in with freshman VJ. Edgecombe, who I think is probably the best NBA prospect in this class outside of Cooper Flyag. I'd take VJ. Edgecomb over the kids at Baylor. I really would. Robert White, another five star freshman guard that's not working at Baylor. I can't tell you that it's because they're not getting along and you got too many old guys not getting along with the young guys vice versa. But again, it's just they're not as good as they should be. And nobody can claim it's because they don't have players that are good enough. And I just think as a coach, it's going to be such a roll of the dice. But you also just have to know regardless. I gotta figure it out. I gotta figure out how my twenty four year old senior is going to be a good teammate to my eighteen year old freshman who, by the way, hasn't proven anything as a player, but he's gonna get all the hype. He's gonna get all the accolades because he's a Burger boy. He's going to be a top five draft pick if he scores a point for us or not. Like, finding out how to make that work easier said than done, and I think we're seeing that play out in college basketball. All right, let's talk about the potential expansion of the NCAA Tournament, because I don't want it. I'm somebody that fears change. I mean, I don't think there's anything college basketball could do that would make me not love it. Don't I wouldn't know how to not love it. I love college hoops. I really learned about myself when Louisville was as bad as they were in the last couple of years. I still found myself consuming the sport NonStop, and really I became more so into gambling on the sport, which I still am into that. But you know, it's nice to have a team that's alive again. So I'm not going to act as if like it'd be the worst thing in the world if they expanded it. But what it comes down to, it's just not necessary and it wasn't even necessary to have the play in games, right, Like, we didn't need to do that. And I still think it's an absolute krock of you know what, that two of the sixteen seeds or is it four of them that do the playing game in Dayton, Like, that's not the same experience like those guys, those teams that end up in dating in the playing game, the two sixteen seeds that essentially play in to get to the number one seed, Like, I just feel like they're robbed of the experience like we should just I mean, so again I would go back to just having sixty four teams and it being the way it was before they added these playing games. But they're not going to do that. If any change happens, it's going to be expanding, and it sounds like they may do it. This report from Awful Announcing has a has a breakdown here that let's see. Yeah, it says that the NCAA, if they expand, what they're aiming is for seventy two or seventy six teams to be in the field. And I mean, there really hasn't been meaningful expansion in over forty years. So we all everybody knows this is just for money. You put more games, that's more inventory, that's more money you can make. I mean that, and that's that's what makes the world go round. So you know, I'll still enjoy it the turn. I'll still enjoy the tournament just as much. But I think we are at a point now in every level of sports, pro or college, any expanded postseason, it's just money. And it's probably always been that way. But I think, you know, for those of us that just enjoy sports and don't consider it, or at least we don't think about it from a business standpoint, we know it is a business, but we look at it for entertainment. We're not in the business of, you know, sports, as far as you know, we're not. Our livelihood's not dependent upon how many millions that the NCAA or the NBA or the NFL breaks in. It's just it's more of an escape for us. So we've always known that, but man, it's so obvious now because there's no I mean, when's the last time there was something that expanded that actually led to Wow, it's a good thing they expanded because that team was great and they wouldn't had an opportunity just I mean, it's just not necessary. There have been playing games that have led to in fact, is it. I think there's been two teams that have gone from the play in game to the Final Four. I know one and that was Shaka Smart and BCU. And then after that I didn't didn't mit Cronin do it? Am I crazy? Because I think when UCLA made it all the way to the championship game, I'm sorry the final four they lost digging zag on that buzzer beater. I feel like they were were they were they? They weren't a sixteen seed? No, no, no, I'm talking about playing games eleven seeds. Oh okay, no, no, no, no, yeah, there's elevens that play in every year and those are the teams like like last year was at Virginia that got in as the eleven seed, I mean I think it was and they got beat by like forty and again like they didn't belong. It wasn't. I mean, you could have put a different team there, maybe they would have made a deep run. But anyways, Yeah, in twenty twenty one, UCLA made the was that twenty one? What am I looking at? Here? Do you have my years?
Speaker 1: Wrong.
Speaker 2: Am I crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ucla, Yeah, they played in the playing game, and they played in the eleven seed playing game. They beat MSU as that I don't know. I can't tell if that's Mississippi State or if that's uh who is it? Yeah? They so, yeah, Michigan State not Michigan State. Uh, And I'm sorry. Ucla beat BYU after they beat whoever they played to get into that game, and then they beat Abilene Christian who upset Texas. Then they beat Alabama, which was a big upset. They beat Michigan, who was the one seed in that region, and then they ended up losing in the final fourd Againstzagas. So again, that's a cool story. But if you don't, if you don't get it like that doesn't. This is one of the dumbest things that you hear from time to time from people when it comes to like the tournament. If you get in and you're a bubble team that did not belong in, and like there's teams that quite literally had better resumes that that didn't get in, and you did, but you make a final four, you didn't prove that you belonged. Because that's never what it's about. That's the conversation, the type of conversation that people have that that really they don't realize that they're really making a point that we shouldn't ever play any game outside of the tournament because what you do has to matter. If in fact, a team, you know, you can't tell me we're not this good, Okay, well you're not. You're not living up to that. You have a bad record, you have terrible losses, like you know that. That's that's what the SEC hawks do. You can't tell me we're not one of the best teams. We'll look you got four losses, like I tell you, I tell you whatever you want me to tell you. But the results of the results and the results have to matter. If a team making a final four despite their resume not being good enough to even get in as an eleven seed like that, that just proves how much they underperformed. So again, the tournament's probably going to expand, and I'm still gonna love it, but it's certainly not necessary. I don't think anybody would argue that. And I think the more you make it a bigger thing with more there, the less it feels special to certain teams. Now there's certain programs that aren't going to look at this as anyway, Like making a tournament is not a big deal to a lot of programs. Louisville will be this year just because it's been a while, but for other teams, man, it's it's a big deal. But if you get to seventy six or even more, I mean, you really lose the It's going to turn into where you're comparing teams saying they made the tournament to teams going six and six and claiming they made a bowl game. That's that Scott Satterfield loser ass kind of stuff that we just don't need. All right, quick break, don't go anywhere. It's coffee and company fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So, I don't know what happened, and it doesn't look like anybody does because every update I've seen from this story is the same. But LeVar Ball he had to have his foot amputated. I don't know if again, maybe there's an update out there, but an unknown serious medical issue has resulted in him losing his his his foot and there's a picture of him in a wheelchair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's Did Dion Sanders have that too, or was he close to get.
Speaker 2: I think he had to have a toe imputated, but yeah, he had a I mean he was in a he was in a wheelchair a walking boot for a long time. And you know, the internet's the Internet. I'm not surprised that there are many people already making jokes about LaVar ball and blaming it all on those infamous Big Baller brand shoes that you know clearly, you know it.
Speaker 3: Was a monic's sacrifice. Your three sons get to be famous. Maybe that was a sacrifice for Leangelo to finally get on an NBA court and seeing swerving, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that. Did you see he performed at the NBA All Star Game? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that people are making jokes that that's the only time he's going to get on an.
Speaker 2: NBA basketball court. I mean, I'm telling you, but take advantage of it, the fact that the fact that all of his sons have have legitimately done something six. I mean, Leangelo signed a thirteen million dollar record deal. The one player who wasn't good enough to be a pro, and then the others are good enough to be pros. Obviously, Alonzo's had some health issues, but when healthy, he's clearly a good player, not a not an elite player in the NBA. And you can make the case that LaMelo is I mean, I think he is, in fact the best player, but he might have been one of the biggest All Star snubs this year when it comes to just how productive he's been. So in the end, LeVar Ball, you know, he wins. Now, I will say this, I always felt like this was something that did not get enough attention. There was another trio of brothers that didn't have the LeVar Ball circus parading around trying to get them more recognition and whatnot. And I'd like to believe that with Lebar it was always for him trying to help his kids. But you know, sometimes he probably didn't help him when he thought he was. But there were is it the Holiday brothers. Yeah, their father. Nobody knows who he is at all. And he's not somebody that's ever trying to get attention. He's not somebody that has ever you know, made it. I mean, I'm not I've never seen him, but I remember the youngest Holiday brother I think it was I think it was Aaron Holiday who got drafted in the me. Look here, Aaron Holliday got drafted in twenty eighteen by my Pacers in the first round with the twenty third overall pick. The other is Drew Holliday, of course, the best of them. He's the oldest. I mean, he's won a championship with the Celtics, he won a championship with the with the Bucks. I mean, he's he's awesome. I mean, he's a known player. He's the oldest of them. And then there's Justin Holiday, who, in fact, Justin may be the oldest, but he also has played in the NBA. I mean, he played in the NBA from two thousand and fourteen to twenty twenty four. I think this year he's currently looks like he's currently playing in Europe somewhere. Yeah, he's playing in Italy. So this is a guy who had three sons that all played in the NBA for a long time, and they all went to I think they all went to you know, one of them, Justin Holiday, went to Washington, but the others went to UCLA and like you would have never known about their dad, you know what I mean. Like and by the way this was all playing out around kind of the same time that LaVar Ball was doing his Shenanigans, sending his kids to Lithuania, having them drop out of high school. I mean, it was a long road to get there, but they are successful. But you know, I just remember thinking, they showed Aaron Holliday on draft night getting drafted by my Pacers, and I think that's probably why I remember it, because it was my Pacers, and they showed his dad, who was there at the table as he got drafted, and you know, hugged his son, and you know, he walked up to the podium and shook Adam Silver's hand and whatnot, and he gave his dad a real big, you know thank you in that interview, basically saying, you know, for pushing him, and just thinking like, well, that was a great story. But because he's not parading around like a clown like LeVar Ball is, like nobody, but this guy could walk into anywhere, nobody would know who he is. But he just cared about, you know, his kids and clearly supported him enough and believed in them to where they I mean, as a dad myself, I have no clue what my what my kids are going to do when they get older. My daughter's especially child, and you know her, her road's going to be different than most. And and I wouldn't have it any other way. My son, he loves sports, and I have no clue if he's going to be able to play competitively, even like a high school I mean, maybe he didn't make the high school team. I would doubt that's the case. I'd probably have a real tough time if that was the case. And maybe, like now that I'm in the Hall of fame at the school, like, is he just required to be on the team, Like they can't cut him? Right, I'm kidding, But anyways, Like I have no clue what my kids will will end up doing when they get older. But I cannot imagine the feeling that you would get being a parent to see your kid really have high levels success in anything. Right, Like I'm proud of my kids now, like when he's well, when they're well behaved, you know what I mean. But whenever they get older and they do well in school, hopefully hopefully they become good students, Like I just I can't wait for that feeling being proud of your kids. I mean, it's got to be one of the being I'm going full dad mode right here. But it's you know, it's like I went to sleep one day and I woke up and now like that's my whole personality is being a dad, and it's the best part of my life. It's the best thing that ever happened to me, is having kids. But I don't know, I just feel like I was kind of like learning on the fly when we had our daughter. And regardless of what people tell you, And you'll know this one day, Austin, I'm sure when people ask you are you ready? Are you ready? Like if your wife's pregnant or your girlfriend's pregnant, whatever it may be, you don't. You're not ready. You're you're never read, You're never ready. It's you just gotta you gotta, you gotta learn on the go. And I don't mean like trial and error to keep a human being alive. I don't mean it that way. I mean you've got to. I mean it's it's an experience that you can't get ready for and there's no real like I'm glad I went, and it's worth going just to be supportive from my for my wife. And at the time I'm thinking it's really important. But like we went to those classes that you go through that the hospital puts you in before you have a baby, which you know is you get some valuable information. But like none of that is is what you know, had nothing to do with me. You know, like it. I don't want to say it was a waste of time, but like even that, it's there's no harm in doing it. But you don't really like life changes in every way when you at least it should. If it doesn't, then that's probably not a good thing. But when you become a parent for the first time, I mean, I can't put into words what that does as far as just changing everything about your mentality because you're you know, you're you have to be. You become without even any decision, you just become more selfless and you realize now they are the most important thing in your life. And it's not even by design, it's just how it works for for it did for me, and I know for a lot of people as well. To where you now are doing everything you can to not only keep this human alive and give them a good life, but you know, to do everything you can to support them. I don't know how this turned into the Doctor Phil Show. Maybe it's that cough medicine I was taken during the break because I'm convinced there's some kind of drug in it, because yeah, it gets me feeling pretty good and and you know it's working, so good stuff. All right. Tonight's college basketball slate not super super loaded, but and usually Louisvill's played on Wednesdays, so again I'm missing out on watching the cards in action before I breaks. Men, it's not fun. But tonight, I would say, really, the best game is probably Alabama at Missouri. Currently, Missouri is projected to win this win eighty six to sixty five. Eighty six to eighty five. I mean, to me, this screams take Bama. They're coming off the lost to Auburn. I think Missouri is one of those teams that is good, but I don't look at them as one of the teams that I feel like is elite for the for the for the sec. They're nineteen and six, and yes, they've got some good wins. Right Their win against Florida earlier this year was huge, they won in Gainesville. But their other wins, in my opinion, for the most part, in acc play, have not come against bumps, but they've come against the not so great teams in the ACC. When they've played the better teams in the ACE. In the I'm sorry the SEC like Tennessee and Texas A and M. They haven't won. When they played Texas, they lost. So I think Bama bounce is back here. What are you seeing on the line? Let me, I'm looking at ken one? Is it Bama minus one?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Missouri minus? Oh my god? What am I missing about Bama? They think there's gonna be like a letdown. And I know I know that Missouri right, yes, and I know that Missouri is good, and I know that they're at home, but Bama is Bama, and I just feel like NATO's coming off a loss. I feel like this is I mean, are you you got you got your sheets in there? What are you seeing?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: It's it's telling me take Alabama. But it's got eighty five to eighty four Alabama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if they're dogs, I'm taking Bama money, of course. And then elsewhere I would say, I mean as far as because the kin palm when you look when you go to the you know the the you click on the date at the kim Palm the kimpom website. It gives you all the games and it just goes from like best match up, so the next best matchup. As far as the two teams collectively, Oregon and Iowa, that one doesn't do much for me. And I don't West Coast teams in the Big Ten. I stay away because I don't think it's a coincidence. And Mick Cronan, he's Mit Cronan and we're actually going to play some sound from him coming up here in a moment because he's he's hilarious and he doesn't know it. But when you have teams that are from the West Coast that make the trip across the country to do a couple of games or whatever, it may be, in fact that they don't do a couple of games, they actually come back, which is crazy. But either way, like that jet lag, whatever you want to call it, that matters. I mean, that's why you know you have teams that have made the trip to play two West Coast teams like Michigan State. Michigan State went out to where was it Michigan State went last week or I'm sorry, I guess two weeks ago. Roughly on the first of February. In the fourth of February, they played USC and UCLA. They're substantially better than both those teams. They lost both games, and I think it's got to be because of the travel. It's just not normal for a college team to have a conference game where they got to travel that far away. So I tend to pick Oregon, but they are traveling to Iowa, which I guess isn't as far as traveling to you know, Rutgers, but I tend to stay away from that one. You got any play on the Kentucky game tonight.
Speaker 3: If anything, I will probably like because what you're seeing is Kentucky minus five, right. I like Kentucky to win by more than five.
Speaker 2: Me too, and I'm I'm probably not gonna touch it, just because I feel weird betting on him, but especially when I know that if I was gonna truly be objective and bet here what I think is going to make me money, I would bet Kentucky because it's minus four and a half right now at DraftKings, and I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if they win that thing by fifteen. Because Bandy again credit to their first year head coach, the Guy who came from James Madison. He's doing a pretty good job. In fact, he's doing a really good job at Vandy, especially considering how loaded the conferences this year. But man, they only have one win on the road in the SEC and that was at LSU. This is at Reperna in Kentucky. Yes, they're short handed, but Kentucky's a lot better than LSU even when they're short handed, I would say. And I just think the atmosphere is going to be a factor. And Vandy's been a good story for year one and they did beat Vandy. I'm sorry they did beat Kentucky and Tennessee when they had him at home, but I just don't think they're going to be able to get it done because again, even even with Kentucky not having Butler and and and Robinson, I mean clearly that matters, but they still have guys that, you know, Kobe Bray at any moment could get hot in drain five threes like that's a weapon that Bandy most teams, including Vandy, would have a tough time countering. And then I know it came in a loss, but man, I tell you what, they're they're big man for Kentucky Amari Williams. I mean he's he's a tough guy to stop, and again Texas was able to outlast him. But I kind of feel like, without without your two really two of your best players, and Jackson Robinson and Lamont Butler, I would just force feed Amari. I know that's not at all how Pope typically plays. He's somebody that really likes to space it out, a lot of possessions, a lot of threes. But Mario Williams is physically a presence that you don't see often in college hoops. And oh, by the way, he's a really good passer, Like I would run everything through. I mean they're doing a lot of that, but I would do it even more so if I'm being honest.
Speaker 3: Another game, I like here possibly and I'm kind of confused by this. I'm seeing New Mexico and Boise State. How do you feel about New Mexico. They're four and a half point underdog.
Speaker 2: I like New Mexico a lot, but I never do well whenever I bet on them. I mean those late ten o'clock games. Yeah, so this is at Boise and what's the spread. I'm seeing four and a half Boise State. Yeah, I mean, Ken Palm would tell you to take New Mexico to cover seventy seven to seventy five. And they're not ranked, are they New Mexico. No, they are, No, but they I mean they're They're twenty two and four, fourteen and one in the league. Their only loss in league play was a real upset because they lost to San Jose State, who's bad. So yeah, look New Mexico twenty two and four, they have one real head scratcher in conference play, and then they lost to big, big Patino. They lost to Saint John's earlier this year, lost to Arizona State on a neutral court, and then they lost to somehow they lost to New Mexico State. So yeah, I would. In fact, I mean, you haven't really talked me into it, but I think plus it'll suggest I think New Mexico plus four would be the play here, just because they're better than Boise. Boise is not not a bad team by any means, but they're seventeen to eight and they're going to have to absolutely win their league tournament to get in. They're They're not usually Boise is a team that might get in without winning the Mountain West but not this year. All right, quick break, we'll take our final brick, actually come back on the other side and then wrap it up. So hang out right here. Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Niner now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Not something you see very often. North Carolina has announced that with snow and ice causing some travel issues, I didn't realize the snow has gone from this area to Chapel Hill or at least that area, you know, that region. They've decided to let fans in for free, so if you can get there, you just walk in. They're not even taking tickets. Nice. I'm gonna also factor in that they suck as another reason why they did this, But and I mean, I guess when it comes to just looking at raw numbers that that's the only reason they can still be considered for the tournament according to these bracketologists. But I am, I mean, they just keep losing, and when they do beat teams that are like really bad that they're supposed to beat, they don't beat them by very much Like they nearly lost to who was it like Carolina. Their their last four wins have come against cal Boston College in overtime, pitts Burg by one, and then Syracuse by six, and Syracuse sucks out loud. I mean Syracuse lost to Miami, So I don't know. Just Carolina being fifteen to eleven and yet still people mentioning them as a potential tournament team as wild insane. It is absolutely insane. So I'll watch a little college hoops tonight and then it's right back to land Man Austin let Go. I'll let you know when I finished it so we can have a segment on it, because one of the best shows I've watched in a long time. Me and Sydney are excited for you. It's good, good stuff. All right, have a good night, everybody. We'll talk to you tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety