Speaker 1: Gets me ready for the day at all day info and check in throughout the day. Fifty five krs the talk station eight oh five. If you're a fifty five kr CD talk station, Happy Friday. Oh. Brian Thomas right here, happy to welcome to the fifty five Carceee Morning. So you can find her online. Left in four judge dot com right there in the Republican Party recommended vote list, endorsed by the Republican Party. And taking great comfort I am in the fact that she's also been endorsed by the Cincinnati Fraternal Order of Police. Tough on crime running for Hamilton County Court of Appeals Judge first District, Stacey left and welcome to the morning show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian, good morning. I'm happy to be on the show this morning.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a pleasure having you on, and I really hope that you get elected. We need some folks that are tough on crime. You are demonstrably so let me just point out to my listeners. I love this. I hate hate child abuse. I think that's probably the most horrific crime that can be committed, is abusing an innocent child. Usually is very trusting of some adult. You deal with that all the time. You received the Outstanding Service Award from the Cincinna Children's Hospital Mayorson Center in honor of Child Abuse Awareness Month. And also and I love this award apparently from the Hamilton County Prosecutor's Office, the kick Ass Prosecutor of the Year twenty twenty three award as well. Well done there in terms of what looking out for children.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I got those awards last year because myself and my co counsel Ernest Lee and Rich Schneider and had a case involving John and Kate Snyder, who are a couple from Springfield Township who adopted six children from China. They abused all their children. They even had a biological child. They had three biological children, two and one of them they abused as well. And of the six kids from China, one diet of natural causes the first, and then the rest of them they abused, and one of them they actually killed. So last year, actually at this very time last year, we were in a we were in this trial. It lasted six weeks. We got a conviction which was terrific, and now Kate Snyder's doing thirty one years to life and John Snyder's doing twenty nine years to life for killing their son Adam and of using their other children. And because of our work with Children's Hospital and this case, that's why we got those awards. I got those wars last year and I'm very proud of that.
Speaker 1: Well, I would be too, I mean, demonstrably tough on crime. And apparently you're in front of a judge that at least had the wherewithal of sentence into some serious time.
Speaker 2: Yes, we were very thankful for that. It was a hard fought battle. These people fought us tooth and nail. At one point, the couple even tried to sue the coroner's office to get the cause of death changed because they wanted to they wanted to say Children's Hospital was at fault. It was a long heart Hollard fought battle. Well.
Speaker 1: To my listeners, you might not understand the distinction. As a common please judge versus working in the appellate level, you're going to be dealing with both criminal and civil matters. Correct.
Speaker 2: Correct, criminal civil. I will handle cases from municipal court, common police court, the domestic relations court and juvenile court. You here, it's a reviewing court, so anything any hearing that goes on in any of those courts. If someone wants to appeal it, it goes to our Court of Appeals.
Speaker 1: And why do you view the role of judge. I know we have activist judges, which I am not a fan of, and we have more traditionalist judges who review the facts and the case law and judge things accordingly based upon the law. They do not rewrite laws. If there are flaws or constitutional issues in connection with the law, it's identified and it's basically referred back to the legislative brands to do the fixing. That's the way things are supposed to work, at least in my mind. What's your perception.
Speaker 2: I feel like the reason why I am personally running for judge is we've had all these jug budges who go about they want to change the law. I am going to follow the law. I'm going to follow the constitution of the State of Ohio and the United States, and I don't want You know, the reason why I ran is that that case that I got all those awards for, I was scared that it was going to go off to our Court of Appeals and be reversed. Oh and I didn't want to see that happen.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Oh no, no, no, I was just going to say, I mean, what possible grounds could it have been reversed if you didn't have an appropriate makeup on the appellate court?
Speaker 2: Well, prior to my trial going forward last year, there was a trial murder case that went through that one of the judges up in common and please just decided to reverse it because he decided the jurors didn't make the right decision. And I don't know how he can make that determination. He didn't see the witnesses testify, right, He didn't get to go to the scene like the jurors got to do. He didn't get to hold the evidence in his hand. He didn't hear the tone of the voices of the witnesses who were testifying. Was a one dimensional item, was a transcript. I know myself and the job that I do as a prosecutor, which I've been doing for almost twenty years now. You know, we get interviews all the time and we get them transcribed, and reading the transcript is a lot quicker than listening to them. But listening to them, you seem body language, you see the tone in their voice, and that goes to their credibility. And if you don't watch those items, and if you just go from a one dimensional transcript, I don't know how you can determine that twelve people that witnessed all these people testify made the wrong decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to have respect for the jurors. That's exactly what they're there for. You know, I was only a criminal Well, yeah, criminal trial. Guy pressed charges against guy. It was basically he said, she said kind of thing. But it came down to witness credibility. The guy that was loving the charges claimed he got assault and assaulted, and after hearing him speak and what his recitation and events were, and then hearing from the other guy, it was obvious who was lying. We all walked into the jury room. I said, is there anybody who here who doesn't have reasonable doubt? And everybody looked at me and said nope. I said, we're done. We deliberated like a minute. I mean, that's what the jury does, and how a judge could overrule that and without seeing the witnesses or hearing them is beyond me. But isn't there a legal standard for the review of evidence on an appellate level?
Speaker 2: Yes, there is, but they also, you know, we have activists judges upstairs, and if they're they're kind of I want to say, when I first started working down here in two thousand and one, I worked for a judge and when the prosecutors came in the room, they were well respected by the court. We are not well respected by the court anymore. We walk into the court room and they are automatically think we've done something wrong. We haven't provided something without even knowing, and so we go up when our cases go upstairs, it's all we already have a mark against us before they even read anything. And a lot of those judges haven't been trial courts, shootors or attorneys. They've just been like one was a clerk over or a law clerk for one of the judges. They haven't tried cases. They haven't heard cases actually being tried. They just hear argument. So they have a different perspective than someone like myself who's spent twenty years in the courtroom. Over twenty years in the courtroom.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, we seem to have a lot of that going on with the prosecutor's race right now here in Hamilton County. Allow me to interject Melissa Powers for Hamilton County Prosecute. We need to keep her in that role because she's tough on crime as well. Well, yeah, I guess for those so many people just maybe either don't vote down ballot or they'll simply vote party ticket. And in connection with someone who's literally never tried a case or done nothing beyond being legal a law clerk for someone else, how that person could get elected is really to me, having practiced law and been in courtrooms for sixteen years, you know that's really important. I could never cast a vote for someone with that little experience, especially on an appellate level. That's the problem with you know, the endorsement in us being in Hamilton County blue. If if she's on or he is on the blue ticket, someone will just vote because of that and nothing else.
Speaker 2: Right. We actually, I've been spending some time down at the Board of Elections at the polls. You know, now that early voting has started, people just I stand there. I will say that there are a lot more people coming over and wanting the pink sheet, which is fabulous and I'm thankful for that, but you're right, people do just go get the blue sheet and they vote straight down that ticket and they don't know who they're voting for. I think you need to ask people who are in the court system, not not like someone handing out a blue sheet. Call it. If you know people who practice law in the court system, ask them, get their recommendations. They'll know who to vote for.
Speaker 1: That's very important. I mean, well, right, it may be a little problematic. I know how little people care about politics generally speaking, and then to dive into an area where they have no experience and hopefully will have no experience ever, the judicial system. You know, getting folks to ask questions on these down ballot rates can be problematic. But you do you are on the pink slip. You are endorsed by the Republican Party, and I know for my listeners that probably will be enough. But I will encourage folks to go to lefton for Judge dot com and check out your credentials as well, I mean, really a great background, qualified to do the job.
Speaker 2: Yes, And on my website left and for Judge dot Com there are I linked some of my cases that I've had in the past. Yeah, I had you talked about my Snyder case. There was also I had a case last year as well. A man named Diland Hurt, who was a known killer. He had killed a lot of people. They hadn't been able to have enough evidence to go forward on him. Last year we were able to try him and he is as he's doing life without the possibility of parole now because of his killing of one person and attempted murder on two others. Actually one of the other people. He's paralyzed for life. And that case was crazy. We tried. It was a little over weak. He acted out in court. He punched his attorney at one point. He had tried to have drugs smuggled in through pants because he peede himself during trial and he had to get a new set of pants, and his family brought pants in and there were drugs stown into it. I mean, the things that I have seen in the past year, and the hard fought battles I had last year with these really bad people is what drove me to decide to run for offit.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you are running, and I'm glad to have you on the program, and I will strongly encourage my listeners do some research. I mean, as far as I'm concerned, go ahead and trust to think slip as I have just got done saying people will just trust the blue slip and vote for the Democrat. You are voting for someone who is undoubtedly woke and someone who is not going to be tough on crime if you do that. If you want traditional judge, you want someone who understands the practice. You want someone who is not going to try to rewrite laws or do something crazy like dismiss Jersey. Evaluation of the evidence and witness testimony. You know you're in the right hands with a states left in here. Can I just point out one more thing about your background, because it took me way back. Your family owned Provident Camera.
Speaker 2: Yes, my family and Provident Camera. That was my first job, was working. I used to go down on Saturday mornings with my dad and I would help out in the store, and for my work, I would get twenty dollars for the day, which I thought was very exciting when I was younger.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I used I'd love going in there. That was the best camera store around forever. And you know, it's just weird to see with digital photography the way things have changed. I'm sorry to take you down that road, but I had a little wisp of nostalgia when I saw that, because I had an olympus om one when I was in junior high school and I used to stare longingly at you know, telephoto lenses and auto winder stuff I could never have afforded, but it was always right there. It was drool candy for me when I as a young man. Anyway, Stacy left in vote for her appellate court. It's right there at lefton at theft one for judge dot Com. I wish you all the best as we fast approach the election.
Speaker 2: Stacy, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: It's been my distinct pleasure. And Hardy one you do the same, and that wonderful weekend.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Petersbrier Kes Kellerwiams seven Hill is the greatest real estate team around. Really since I's number one real estate team. They give you a five star experience. You know, you have to have a real estate agent, whether it's a buyer agent or sellers agent, that brings true value. I mean that earns the commission that you'll work with them over there's new commission laws that can talk all about it and it will injure to your benefit. But this is going to benefit you because it's going to sift the week from the chaff and you get the wheat. When you're dealing with the Sabree group of Keller Williams Seven Hills, they have all kinds of ways to help you out, the knowledge and experience that only the finest real estate agents have, and the programs that nobody else is offering. Instant offer, love It or Leave It one cracks me up. If they're your buyer agent and you get into a house you buy and for whatever reason during the first year you just don't like it, they'll sell it for you for free because they're gonna help you find the right house, and they'll point out the pitfalls and the traps or the positives that you might not be focusing on anyway. They're wonderful, wonderful folks. I know Peter well and I know most of his team. You're in the best possible hands. Seven zero eight three thousand dot com seven zero eight three thousand dot com. Of course, that's the phone number. It's five one three seven zero eight three thousand, fifty five KRC the talk station