Speaker 1: For Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show idiots.
Speaker 4: The kids are playing or tail off.
Speaker 3: The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play inter.
Speaker 1: Murals, Brother, gold Play Intermurals.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get it started.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome in Game Day edition Coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, Austa Montgomery with you for the next next three hours. And it is game day. And I'm sure this is one of those things that could be made fun of.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe you don't realize it, but you're putting yourself out there and giving you know, your your rival or just you know, anybody who wants to be a jerk the ammunition to you know.
Speaker 4: Make fun of you.
Speaker 5: But Louisville SMU, I'm sure it's not a game that many people are aware is even happening outside of you know, Louisville fans and SMU fans, and I guess just big time college basketball fans, right those who you know cover the ACC. They realize what we have this evening at nine o'clock in Dallas. But you know, I'm just gonna be real. I'm I've said it many times, probably more than I need to. I'm just enjoying the ride, and the ride has got us to this point where you've got a chance to go get a road victory against a seem that right now, I would say is easily the third hottest team in the ACC outside of Duke and Louisville. And that may not mean a whole lot, right but hey, it's when it comes to the rest of the schedule that you have here. This is your best opportunity the rest of the way to get a win that's going to have some value. Now, who knows what the value is actually going to be at the end of the day, but right now, today it's a big opportunity. I mean, this SMU team, you know their favor they opened up as one and a half point favorite's actually I'm sorry it was it was just a point, not the hook. And as of right now, let me just double check here. I haven't seen much movement since this morning, but yeah, it's actually moved slightly now we have the hook, so it's SMU minus one and a half. So Pat Kelsey, he's a dog in this game. His team, they're underdogs, and I kind of feel like they've had well, I don't know. It's going to lie to you and say that I feel like they've kind of had they've had that underdog kind of chip on their shoulder, But I really, I really don't think that's the case. I think they're viewed that way because the run that they're on right now is one that I can tell you hand up. Personally, I didn't expect to see it. I didn't think that they would go over a month without losing a game since the Kentucky game. They have they have lost, and yeah, they had a close call against dKu, And yes, I'm aware of some of the teams they've played aren't necessarily great, but I don't care about that. So I actually think now that I'm going back in time here, when they got into January, right, that's and this is the stretch since then, Carolina at home, Virginia on the road, Clemson at home, Pittsburgh on the road, Syracuse on the road, and then Virginia at home. That's that's what they've done here so far this month in twenty twenty five, and since then, I feel like they play is if they are I mean, dare I say not the bully, But you know, they're not playing like they're timid and they're like they're not they're not getting hot and you know, putting some magical run together like Rudy.
Speaker 4: They're they're out there.
Speaker 5: Beating teams for the most part pretty bad. I mean, they're they're hammering some teams, and at times they've done it with some really good individual performances that are just you know, like wow, where did that come from? Or Wow, that guy probably gonna be tough to see him having a game quite as good as this one, right, Like Javon Hadley had thirty plus rain Smith, we saw what he did against Pittsburgh and then the team as a whole really just shot shot the lights out against Syracuse. So but those are things that now we know, like when it happens, it's not a big shock. So I'm feeling good today. Louisville Basketball Tonight, nine o'clock tip nobody really likes the late tip. I'm not one that you know is in favor of everyone loves the late tip late well late tip off for basketball. Oh yeah, different things, but yes, I think one is really any I mean late early, whatever you'll take it.
Speaker 4: Basketball. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm not a big fan of the of the nine o'clock late games, and it used to be because I would have to do a postgame show, which obviously that's not an issue this season. But I just know that when the game ends, regardless of what happens tonight, I'm not gonna be able to sleep. I'm gonna because you know, you're it's like, uh im gonna try to get and I'm sure everybody listening, who's you know, a lunatic to some extent like I am during these games, Like I rarely sit down. I'm usually standing the whole time, especially if like it's a close game and it's a big game where there's a lot on the line. If it's you know, you're up thirty against somebody, then I'm kind of chilling. But if this is like a tight game and it's neck and neck throughout and Louisville either holds on to win or maybe they let it slip late, whatever happens. Like think think the movie Step Brothers. I'm sure you've seen that, right, Austin.
Speaker 2: Of course, one of my favorite movies ever.
Speaker 5: Like imagine sweating when Brennan or Dale asks Brennan why he's sweating, and he said he was watching cops, Like cops is high alert, Like you know, wow, Like what that's an adrenaline Probably not the greatest comparison, but like there's a yeah, there's adrenaline involved in the game, win or lose, especially if if it's a blowout one way or the other, then it won't be as big of a deal. But that's my biggest issue now. That just shows how old and washed I am is that this game is probably not going to end till around eleven o'clock or later, and it'll take me a while to to like kind of wind and where I'm ready just to just fall asleep.
Speaker 4: Maybe I can rely on something to help me do that tonight.
Speaker 6: It's sometimes hard to do that on a normal day, just try to wind down from just a laundry of work and just doing it after a game, win or lose.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be tough sometimes I'm so like mentally exhausted that I can't even like I can't, my brain can't put in the work needed in order for me to actually flip the switch to go into okay, let's go night night. You know what I'm saying, Like, it's just you know, it's sometimes it happens. But Louisville tonight, nine o'clock tep again. The kin pump projection is SMU winners tonight, seventy nine to seventy seven. So I mean, I haven't I would. I'd be shocked if, in fact, this team is doing a whole lot of the behind the scenes, they're not giving us a chance. Let's go prove something. I mean, that stuff matters. In fact, you know, some of my favorite teams I've watched over the years at Louisville had their their you know, have had success when it comes to like you know, in fact, I'll just say it, Louisville basketball obviously is a program that that you know, has had a lot of great success over the years. More often than not, when we've watched games, I mean, I guess just removed the last few years from your memory. But we usually feel like we're gonna win because we're a top ten program of all time. But there's also been times where you know, I mean, let's just think back to when Louisville finally, like you know, became a big deal. Right there was you know, the seventies, which were great, but then in eighty they broke through and won a national championship, and of course that was the first one, and that was a big deal.
Speaker 4: I say it like I remember it.
Speaker 5: I wasn't alive yet, but I know that winning a championship does sort of kind of put you in a different tier. They've been flirting with it before that they won a title, and then at that point, you know they've arrived. But yet they had to go eighty three the dream game, like Kentucky still wouldn't play it. Well, it turned out you got to play them because you've made it that far in the tournament and you beat them, so, you know, even even though it's not really been that way for a long time. Thankfully, because Denny Kur made this program one of the best of all time, and there was a great run by a guy named Rick Patino here that that kind of helped sustain the overall status of the program. And now we got work to do, obviously, because things haven't been so great since Rick left. But so far, Pat Kelsey seems like he's doing a really good job just in the I mean again, less than twenty games in, he's already got Louisville ranks. So, you know, I think what you hear from this group and from Pat Kelsey consistently, it's really I mean, it sounds exactly like what they're supposed to say and what you would expect to say, which I guess that is true, but also.
Speaker 4: I just think it's the truth.
Speaker 5: Like I think this group mostly built off, built built with guys who've played college basketball for a really long time, veterans, grown men that came to Louisville, you know, probably for you know, a business decision, right they knew that they'd be able to be compensated, they'd play for a big time program, and they love the idea of kind of turning things around at a place like this. So, you know, I think the maturity of this group has has made it to where they really do approach this day by day, game by game. They don't think about anything other than who's up next, and let's go, let's just keep this rolling. Because man, this is fun. We can tell, you know, and I'm not saying the players have said this directly, you can tell that they do appreciate the fans support, and even crowds that we would talk about on this show, like because somebody would claim, can you believe where where's everybody at? How is there only fourteen thousand people at a game? Like we would have those conversations because you know, I get it, fans bring it up. It's still something that is probably a little tough to get used to. If you've been going to games consistently for the last few years, you're probably looking at these crowds as of late as if it's.
Speaker 4: You know, standing room only.
Speaker 5: But if you went away for a while and then you came back recently, you're probably thinking, yeah, there's not as many people. But these players, even if they've had success elsewhere, they didn't have what we have here, I mean, because not many do. I mean, that's just the reality of it. So they're enjoying it, and I think they're you know, I just have a hard time and this is a good place to be. I have a hard time expecting my team to have a real letdown.
Speaker 4: It can happen. It's part of life, it's part of sports. I guess maybe.
Speaker 5: Technically you could say they're due for like a dud performance, but like, until they show me that there's any sign of that happening, I'm gonna assume that they're gonna come ready to play. They're gonna keep doing things that you know are controllable, and that is playing really good defense, making sure that.
Speaker 4: You're not getting out worked. You may have a game where.
Speaker 5: The stats are pretty comparable as far as second chance points or you know, rebounds.
Speaker 2: But like.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is, just make sure you're not on the real, you know, the losing end of that of that equation when it comes to just things that you can control. So they've been consistent, I mean, this is this This team has has put themselves in a spot to where I now expect them to come out and play the way they've played for the last however many games. I mean, I know, technically they're on an eight game winning streak, which is great in every win counts, but I really feel like when they came out on New Year's Day against Carolina that there was just something a little bit different. There was a little bit more of an edge a little bit more fire, And I hate even bringing that up because it sounds like before then that they didn't have that. I think throughout the entire season, this group's done a really good job of kind of maintaining high level of energy and effort. And sometimes they played poorly, and you know, sometimes they got blown out. But I just I don't mean, we'll never know, and you know, it's not worth getting into, but I realized the competition as of late in the last eight games is not you know, Tennessee, Duke or Kentucky or Ole Miss. But maybe this is just wishful thinking on my end. Again, we'll never know. I think the team Louisville has become in the last eight games, or really the last six games specifically, I think you know, you probably you know you'd lose to those teams more often than you'd win, because we're talking about some of the best teams in the country. Duke'snumber one and the KNPOM. I mean, Tennessee slipped up and lost, but they're still an elite team. Kentucky, you know they can be beat, but they're pretty damn good too. They can beat anybody when they play well. But you know, I think Louisville's a team that right now, again, you're probably not going to win more than you'll lose against those caliber teams.
Speaker 4: But I'm kind of hoping that Louisville.
Speaker 5: Can keep this run going to where we find ourselves in the tournament with a matchup against one of those teams, just to kind of see where we stand. And look, you're gonna have chances to play some good teams the rest of the way. I mean, I look at the rest of the ACC and it's certainly not scary by any means. But if you get to the ACC tournament, I mean, maybe you get Duke again. I mean again, I wouldn't want to play Duke right now. I mean actually I would, because I'd just like to see where Louisville stands and see how they would do. But like I think Duke right now, I mean, maybe they're just benefiting from this ACC slate, like you know, like everybody claims Louisville is. But I think Duke is as good as anybody in the country and could win the whole thing. So it's just nice to know. I mean, I've been thinking about this game here and there all day, and it used to be like I have to ride the last couple of years, I'd have to remind myself that that, you know, Louisville plays, because it just wasn't something that you you know, you had on your your mind because you were excited about. But obviously a little bit different now. So the seventh longest active wind streak in college basketball currently is Louisville at number eight. And here's still hoping they can, uh, they can get it to nine games. Tonight, late tip at UH at nine o'clock, Austin perks up.
Speaker 4: When I say late tip. I can tell it's just something that just stand.
Speaker 5: You know, he could be in there working up his parlays, cooking up something special for the books. But then, you know, I hear I say late tip, and he's just looking around like wait, wait, wait oh yeah, uh what.
Speaker 6: I'm sitting here checking numbers, spreads, and I just hear I hear late tip, and just like like a doberman, my ears just go up.
Speaker 4: I hear you, I hear you, man. All right.
Speaker 5: So last night was the national championship game in college football, and I felt, you know, insecure about the way, you know about as somebody who loves college football I mean, I was, I mean, I felt like a poser. I felt like a fraud claiming that I'm a big time college football guy because I just I couldn't really, I couldn't get into one the whole playoffs themselves once she got passed, like the first couple of games, and like last night, I mean, I didn't. It did not feel at all like we were actually about to watch the national championship game of college football. And the obvious, the obvious reason here is that you know, this is new. We are not We're not usually closer to February than we are December when you crown a national champion. And it's because they've expanded the playoff and that's a good thing overall. But I do kind of feel like they gotta, they gotta, they gotta do something because last night, I mean, you've you've got Notre Dame in Ohio State, two humongous brands in college football, and right as soon as it kicked off, it seemed like there were many out there that were finally willing to just put it out.
Speaker 4: There say, yeah, this just feels weird, like this just this.
Speaker 5: Just doesn't seem, you know, like sum's off here and I felt that, you know, for for a couple of weeks really uh and then of course, like last night, you know, I watched it, uh and and you know, it was nice to see Notre Dame. I guess late made you at least think that there's a chance they could maybe come back and tie it up. But it really never felt like Ohio State wasn't gonna win the game. And Notre Dame still has a lot to be happy about, and I don't see them slowing down at any point. The Ohio State story weird to kind of claim, oh, it's a good story, but because you know, they're not some up and comer. They they're a multi time national championship winner and they won another one. But I just think the whole Michigan component was was was I think beneficial for them. Probably crazy to say that, but I really I really do feel like they they were able to, uh you know, they were able to to kind of just you know, lock in.
Speaker 4: And I mean again, I've.
Speaker 5: Tried to put into words why I feel like they benefited from that, and maybe maybe I'm just full of it, but I think there's a level of like playing loose and care free knowing that there's really no scenario like if they would have gotten blown out by Tennessee at home, which they didn't.
Speaker 4: They blew Tennessee out.
Speaker 5: I think there was so much toxicity within their fan base because of the Michigan loss and just because they feel very underwhelmed with what Ryan Day has been able to do with all the great teams he's had since he's been there, that like it really would have just been a continuance of where they were, Like I don't mean, I guess it could have gone a different level up, like a higher level up. But man, like Ohio State's fans when they lost to Michigan, like they were probably as down as they've been in a long long time.
Speaker 4: And yeah, they've been worse than that.
Speaker 5: Like obviously they've had some years where they're not great, but I mean, they're Ohio State.
Speaker 4: They always expect to be great. So it's kind of weird how it worked out.
Speaker 5: To where I kind of felt in a weird way like happy for them they were able to get it done, and then I feel gross knowing that that's the way I feel, because like Ohio State's a very easy fan base and program to you know, I mean, I respect him. They're one of the best of all time. They've got a huge fan base. They care as much, if not more, than anybody else. But you know, they've been real arrogant, and usually you don't want to, you know, feel good. Hey good for those arrogant fans that have a bunch of national championships already. You know, that's usually not the kind of program that you feel good if they get it done. But they were down bad in a major way against Michigan, and they they found a way to win the national championship.
Speaker 4: And look, they were the best team.
Speaker 5: I mean they they started playing in the playoffs, of course, you know, against some of the best teams in the country, like the team that everybody knew that they could be, and maybe they were that earlier this year, but I don't know, I mean, they had I mean, this is I don't think it's crazy to say that even when they were coming up short against Oregon, who by the way, is a really good team, and they got the best of them in that first matchup when they played they nearly lost to Nebraska, who wasn't good. They had a couple of other games where it was closer late than it probably should have been. And then of course, you know they lost to Michigan. But it's almost like they were playing tight because they realized, hey, our rival has been better than us as of late. They're coming off a national championship. Here we are, there's no more harball. We have the best roster in the country, and we paid a lot of money for it. Like maybe there was some real pressure internally to like go out there and actually ball out. And I really don't think we saw anything close to this Ohio State team in the last few games. I mean, again, they were good. They clearly did enough to where they could lose that game late have two losses and still safely being the College football Playoff.
Speaker 4: But with all that said, like there.
Speaker 5: Just seemed to be a different looseness to them in the last few games where they just kind of were playing as if they weren't you know, there wasn't any there was no like they weren't tight. They were not in a point where you felt like they were they were pressing by any means, and I think early on you saw that. But as far as the schedule, like we can get into it because I don't have the perfect solution, but college football season. Ending this late just doesn't feel right. And I you know, I have in mind what I would do, but I also don't know, you know, if if, if it's what others would prefer, but like college football should.
Speaker 4: Start earlier than it does. There's no reason why why it doesn't.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, if it's because you feel like, you know, school doesn't start, that doesn't matter. You know how many sports start before the semester actually starts in August. I mean, I think I see no reason why you shouldn't have a few weeks of college football where you're not competing with the NFL. I think that would be good for the sport in every way, and it would make it to where you could do this, and it just didn't feel you know, if there's no changes in next year, we're in the same position and it doesn't feel weird because you know it'll be the second time we're here. Then you know, maybe they just keep it the same, the same, But I know I would the only one that just kind of felt like this thing was flat, man.
Speaker 4: And what's wild though, is.
Speaker 5: That like the SEC wanted you to believe that it was flat, and you just didn't feel the same because they weren't there, and like, give me a break. I mean, like, well, let's be real. They they the big, big programs from that conference historically, they didn't they didn't go far enough to where they were able to kind of you know, they were out earlier than they probably expected. And yeah, the numbers were down as far as viewership in some of those games in like the semi finals.
Speaker 4: And I mean again, we'll.
Speaker 5: Get to this later, because the SEC like is telling on themselves that they don't want it to be about how good you are or what you do. They just wanted to be a popularity contest. And people who you know, paid a lot of money that have a platform that you know, were out there talking college football to a big audience. Like they have no awareness that like their arguments have turned into where they don't think you should have to win. It should just be a popularity contest, which is embarrassing the.
Speaker 2: Most popular people in Cancun.
Speaker 5: Right now, Yeah, it's right, that's right, quick break, we'll keep this thing rolling along. If you want to join us, you can five O two five seven to one. Seventy nine hundred is the number. It's Coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 5: Day So had a couple of people ask this on the text line in the first segment. Well, one person sent in the screenshot. The other asked the question if I was surprised that Louisville didn't end up in the in the AP Top twenty five poll the final one, and I'm not. I think Louisville losing to Stanford. I'm not someone that thinks that like that really kept them from getting into the college football Playoff. I mean, clearly it would have changed a lot as far as their numbers, and they probably would have been right there on the outside looking in as far as where they're ranked, which honestly probably would have made us more upset. We would have been thinking about not the Stanford game. But like any look, I think you can still go back to the Notre Dame game, specifically the SUMU game to an extent, especially the beginning of that game, and then Miami. I just think you played a better team than they beat it, but you had a crucial mistake that you just can't really make really a sequence more than anything, a sequence in you against a really good team that you just kind of feel like, okay. Whenever Louisville had the penalty on special teams and they ended up, you know, needing to go what like ninety eight yards to score in the first play on that potential ninety eight yard drive, they coughed it up and Miami scored. It's just one of those plays where you feel like, okay, when you're playing a team that's at that time that good. Hard to imagine that kind of a swing and you being able to still win. It's possible. So you know, I'm not surprised they're not there. Them losing the Stanford really did change a whole lot and what I've done as a Louisville fan to try to kind of you know, I mean, there don't even do about it now. I still feel really good about I mean, in fact, I think Louisville has a chance to be really good next year. But as you know, if you listen to me a little bit, I've thrown it out there. I have some brief moments of panic when I think, like I would hate for this team to be really, really good offensively to where they're putting up big time performances against anybody because they're you know, their role, and they've got just mean Right now, you've got two running backs that I think would start for maybe just about any not any team in the country, but most I think Colin Lacey and Chris Bell collectively are two guys that could be two of the best receivers in the ACC next year. And I have the belief that Miller Moss is going to be a guy that Jeff brom.
Speaker 4: Can really utilize. So I feel good. I just worry that.
Speaker 5: We may be in a position where the defense makes us sweat it out and we have to you know, it's late and you're worried, or maybe you end up losing a game because your offense is scored in forty two or something, but it's not enough. So, you know, I still feel good about Louisville football, but that Stanford loss was a big one. Now, Louisville football, I really feel like under any era, any you know, in my lifetime, any any Louisville team, not any Louisville team, but even most of the really good Louisville teams that I remember that you know, I remember at the time realizing, hey, this is a special team. I'm probably going to remember this year for a long time. There's always that game that you shouldn't lose, that you lose, and I kind of thought Louisville had already gone through that three times by the time they lost to Stanford. But no, like Notre Dame, I mean, they beat you, and Notre Dame's Notre Dame, same thing. I mean, SMU. That was a game whereas much as Louisville did some stuff on their end, and I just think their game plan defensively, and that one was so poor to start. I mean, Jeff was pretty pretty clear about that after that game ended. That you lost to good teams that you know, took advantage of you having a missqueue.
Speaker 4: They took advantage of you.
Speaker 5: Making a mistake or not having the right game plan, and that's what good teams do. Stanford is a game that you had no business losing at all, and that stinks. But at the same point in time, Louisville, I think even other really good teams that I remember have had games like that that just you know, it's the clunker, if you will. And had Louisville not lost to Stanford, they would have probably finished in the top fifteen, and they probably would have played in a different bowl game than the one that they played in, and who knows what would have happened. So you know, I'm not that worried that they missed the top twenty five final AP Pole. They ended up coming in as the third team as far as receiving votes, So I guess technically, if you want to rank past twenty five, you would be twenty eight. But maybe they end up in the preseason AP Pole next season.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, part of me says, who cares, But that kind of stuff does matter. I mean, the AP Pole shouldn't matter because it technically is not utilized in any way. At least we're told it's not utilized in any way when the committee is putting together the College Football Playoff rankings. But I don't know how others haven't realized. It's all you see, like it sets the narrative, right if a team.
Speaker 4: Like Penn State.
Speaker 5: Penn State finished the season as a top five team, and I'm not here to tell you that Penn State wasn't good, but I don't know if they're top five or top twenty five, Like they don't have any wins that really mean a whole lot, and any team they played that was, you know, better than them they lost.
Speaker 4: I think they're good.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be a liar and tell you that I think they stink. But Penn State, if they started unranked this year, they're not top five because they wouldn't have had a win that would have catapulted them up.
Speaker 4: So like where you start, like it matters, Like I wish they would get rid of the Ape Pole.
Speaker 5: To be honest with you, I didn't have that opinion two or three months ago, but it became quite clear when you have these mega conferences and it's impossible for everybody to have the same level of competitiveness within their league schedule. Where you start, like where the perception of you is at the beginning, Like that kind of stuff matters. So I'm not you know, I'm not surprised they're not there because the loss to Stanford clearly was a killer as far as your resume and how people look at you at the end of the season. But you know, they got a schedule that's manageable next year, no doubt, and maybe maybe next year is the breakthrough year. For them. One thing I have kind of consistently said throughout really the last I don't know, three four months, maybe not that long. But really, since you know, since this the regular season was kind of rounding rounding out, I think you're gonna be able to say and I think we can say that you two years ending the Jeff brom era, you have some good momentum, right.
Speaker 4: You took a little bit of a step back, I suppose.
Speaker 5: When it comes to the second year, because the first year, obviously, you know, it didn't end well as far as the momentum, you had none of it. You lost the last three games you played, but still you won ten games in the regular season, you had a big marquee victory against Notre Dame, and you played in the ACC title game. So I mean that was that was a good year and this year wasn't quite as good. But for what it's worth, and I'm you know, maybe this is just me picking out a stat to just make.
Speaker 4: Louisville look good.
Speaker 5: But the PCs formula, which is still I mean, it's still it's a formula.
Speaker 4: You know, it still exists.
Speaker 5: It's not utilized, it's not referenced by anybody anymore as far as like college football coverage, but it's still out there. And Louisville ended up having one of the toughest schedules in the country this past year, and you know, to go nine and four, I suppose it was. Yeah, nine and four was their record at the end of the season. To go nine and four knowing you played one of the toughest schedules you've played in the history of the school.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not saying.
Speaker 5: We should party about it, but again, I still think you have some momentum two years into the Jeff bron era.
Speaker 4: All Right, it's Coffee and Company. We are feel about.
Speaker 5: Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety getting set for Louisville SMU tonight.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize it until yesterday.
Speaker 5: Kentucky's off this week, so they're sitting on that loss against Alabama at home, and they'll be back in action this weekend against Vandy, a team that you know they should beat. But man, Vandy another example of Hey, if Andandy's one of the worst teams in your conference, that speaks to how good your conference is. Because Vandy, I mean, they're sitting at fifteen and three overall and they just beat Tennessee, so I mean, and heck, Vandy's only losses are to Mississippi State and Missouri, two teams that right now are ranked and are going to be in the tournament for sure, and they were close losses too. And then they did lose to Drake earlier this year, but Drake. Keep an eye on Drake, which probably not something many people care about, but Drake. They had a weird two game losing streak at the beginning of this year where they lost to Illinois Chicago and Murray State, two teams in their conference, the Missouri Valley, and that really did a number on their analytics. But Ben McCollum, we had one of our callers used to mention Ben McCollum's name quite a bit during the last couple of years, really just last year because he was the Division two coach. That was just I mean, he was the Geno Arima of Division two basketball, really, and he was going to get an opportunity at a big time program, and well, I'm not a big time program, but he was gonna be able to take a jump up. He was gonna be able to step up and get a head coaching job at the D one level, and Drake's the one who hired him. So Drake's coach left to go to West Virginia and they're killing it. He took his son with him and Ben McCollum, who was at I kid you, it's like something Central Missouri. I'm gonna have to look it up now. It's not relevant, but it was a Division two school and I'm pretty sure it was Missouri, So yeah, he was. He was the head coach at Northwest Missouri State for about fifteen years and won a bunch of national championships and he's now at Drake. Well, he brought I believe, I believe he brought his whole starting five from that Division two team and they're I mean, he brought his team with him and they were having success, which is crazy because they're sixteen and two right now, seventy three in the net Drake is and if they didn't slip up and lose to teams they had no business losing to Illinois Chicago and Murray State, they'd undefeated. I mean, they probably still wouldn't be like ranked because you know they're playing in the Missouri Valley, but they have win against Vandy. They beat Miami before we knew Miami was going to be you know, this bad. They beat FAU, who is still probably the premier team in their own in their conference. So I'm not acting like they're they're elite, but you know, Drake is Drake's not as bad of a loss for Bandy as some people might expect. But anyways, this is something, you know, I keep seeing all these signs, and I don't mean like actual you know, like billboard signs or you know, an actual sign somebody's holding up, but just things that remind me that.
Speaker 4: We're back, little things and.
Speaker 5: Here where I you know, this is five six hours removed from this experience I had earlier on Facebook, and I kind of can't believe that, like I even did that, not like I did something crazy, but you know, I kind of just blocked out and did it because you know, that's how excited into this Louisville basketball season I am.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of you listening are on Facebook, some of you probably not on it as much as other I think everybody you know kind of uses that platform in their own way, right, I mean there's a lot of people on it that view it. In fact, I guess that's really all social media, would you say, Austin. There's so many people that have everything. They're just not active in posting, but they're looking at everything because it's just a good.
Speaker 2: You know, they have it on their phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like that's really what Twitter's turned into. There's so many people on Twitter that check everything but do not post anything or have never posted anything. So anyways, I was on Facebook and I was I was in the car rid line dropping off my daughter and I was waiting for a couple of buses to come through. So I got my phone out and I'm just scrolling Facebook. And this is one of the complaints I have about Facebook. One of the many complaints is of late, Like I don't know what Facebook thinks of me or who they think I am, but like the algorithm things you target me with, Like you you're off, Like we need to reset. Like the people that they think I know, Why would you think I know these people? You ever seen that on Facebook? The people you may know? Yeah, Like I don't know who it is. So anyways, they just have two friends, you know. It's ads that target me. It's I mean the Facebook timeline. And to be honest with you, as much as we talk social media with TikTok and all that, the Facebook timeline is the worst of anything right now, if I'm being honest with you, because it's just like anything I see, it's not it's not something that like I'm like I was looking for or that that you know, I feel like would fit the algorithm for me. So anyways, I'm now seeing groups that I'm not a part of that they're showing me, like a recent post and a public group on Facebook that maybe I maybe they think I would like, And I guess they know I'm a Louisville fan, and you know that they knew that much about me to where there was a group called Louisville Cardinal Fan Zone and it, you know, just popped up there as soon as I popped up in Facebook, and I read a comment and it and it just it burned me up. And I again, I don't know why I cared so much. Looking back, like I'm thinking, what was wrong? Like why would I can't believe I would even care to even read the whole post or let alone interact with it. So I'm sitting there waiting to be able to pull up and get my daughter out of the car and walk her to the to her classroom and whatnot. And I'm just stewing over what this Louisville fan said in this Facebook group. So, you know, I get back in the car, I now make the move to drop Moose off at daycare, and as soon as I walk in to take him into daycare, you know, I'm still thinking about how ridiculous it was what somebody said.
Speaker 4: It's not like I, you know, it felt like I was that it went like I was.
Speaker 5: Angry, but like it clearly got it did enough to me to where I felt like, Okay, I need to request.
Speaker 4: To join this group so I can comment to this person.
Speaker 5: And sure enough I did it, Austin, And I think that's a sign like, hey, I love this team in this season so much. I'll be damned if I'm gonna let somebody on Facebook who claims to be a Louisville fan, you know, not be enjoying this.
Speaker 4: So it's not per stick up for your team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it also after the fact, and now that I'm speaking about it right now, like it also, I used to worry a little bit about myself because when I had to talk about it every day to an extent, and sometimes it was all we talked about because you know, louis of basketball being as bad as they were for a couple of years, Like that's not normal in any way, Like it's it's kind of like, wait a second, is this really happening? Like people were freaking out, So, you know, and by the way, it's what I do. There would be people that would call in that would wait on hold for thirty minutes to then ask me why I keep talking about Louisville basketball, like I'm the problem. And and at the end of the day, it's not personal, like people want to hear what they want to hear, Like me just not talking about louis of basketball at all because they're terrible, wouldn't be. I mean, that's not what this job is. So I tried to remind myself, like, hey, this is just part of it. This is something we probably never would would we'll ever experience again. And because I'm the person that you know, has the platform and we do talk lovel basketball regardless of what's going on around here, usually throughout the entire year, because we care so much. When it's this bad, people are gonna think I'm like going out of my way to be negative, and I never really thought that was the case at all, But then occasionally I would get my own head and I would think, like, am I that bad?
Speaker 4: Like I am?
Speaker 5: I am I overdoing it as far as how bad things are, And look, no, not at all. And anybody who thought that, I hope you didn't you know, think it was. I hope you didn't like hate me because of it. But like, look at where we are now, Like, no, I should have been more heavy handed about how big of a joke it was that the program was.
Speaker 4: In the position that they were in.
Speaker 5: So you know, for me not even really having any any I mean, it was just like instant reaction to where I just had to comment like I couldn't help myself.
Speaker 4: I didn't I would. I didn't give it a whole lot of thought.
Speaker 5: I just once I once I, once I got back to the car after taking both my children to where they needed to go for the day, I had to let this person have it. And I I probably shouldn't have done that. I doubt that it did anything of good, but at least it made me feel better in the moment and we got to get to a break.
Speaker 4: But I'll read to you the.
Speaker 5: Comment from somebody that just got be fired up, and I'll read to you what I said, and you know, I kind of feel like I was respectful, but at the end of the day, like you know, I was the The amount that I wrote in response is a real telling sign of how like it was bothered me that much, like I wrote like a novel on it, which is just again, this is weird behavior that like, I don't even know where it came from for me, but if anything, I'm just gonna have.
Speaker 2: To chalk it. It's always been there, baby.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna have to chalk it up that like this is just how much I'm into Louisville basketball, and man, I love this team. I'm enjoying the ride, and I you know, here I am getting on people for being negative with all this.
Speaker 6: That's this is something that you should honestly continue doing.
Speaker 2: I'll be stay in that.
Speaker 6: Group infistrate those people pillage there there there there group.
Speaker 4: You have no clue.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I posted the screenshot of what the uh well, actually, never mind, I'm not gonna tell anybody that. I'll just I'll keep you listening because I want to share with you what was said and then what I said, and I'm just curious to.
Speaker 4: Get you know, I'm curious.
Speaker 5: You know, you don't have to call in or text in and tell me what you think, but I just I want to put it out there because I feel like, you know, again, it's another sign that we're healing and and and that's a good thing. Keep it locked right here. It's Coffee and Company field by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: All right, so I read the Facebook post during the break for the first time since you know, I responded to it, and it's.
Speaker 2: Still like.
Speaker 5: I want to just laugh at it, like that's ridiculous. Wow, the things you see on the Internet. But like I'm also I also would be a liar if I told you that it did that. It didn't make me mad, It just it just irritates me. But there's a Facebook group, and if you missed the whole story, I don't know how. I kind of guess I guess I blocked out. But I was just scrolling through social media like a lot of people do, and I saw a Facebook group that's called Louis of the Cardinals fan zone, and it was I guess referring it as a like, hey, because what you see now is all kinds of stuff you don't follow on social media, which I don't really understand that, but that's that's not uncommon now.
Speaker 4: You see things that you're wondering, why am I seeing this? I didn't choose to see this.
Speaker 5: But they just want to throw stuff in front of you, thinking that you know, they may know you better than you know yourself, and they do know me well enough on Facebook to know that I'm a Louisville fan clearly, and I ended up joining this group just so I could comment on the first post that I saw.
Speaker 4: And this is what was said.
Speaker 5: We're the only fan base I know that gets carried away with being ranked, like celebrating when their team is eleven when their team has a well, a lot of bad grammar here, but when there is eleven games to go, plus the ACC tournament and potential NCAA tournament, assuming we take care of our business, rankings doesn't mean a thing. Hopefully the players block it out and don't pay much attention to it. So this is essentially somebody saying they're bothered that the fans are excited that Louisville is ranked, and that the rankings don't mean anything. There's a lot of basketball to be played still, and basically saying we're the only fan base that does this kind of acting like, get it together, fans, you're embarrassing you're embarrassing me by celibate rating that Louisville was ranked.
Speaker 4: And I think that's why, Darius, that's what really got me.
Speaker 5: And before I decided to really just you know, I don't even know if it was a decision to just happened before I started working up a response, I went and just kind of looked at the entire feet and the majority, the vast majority of the fans like totally agree with me. And this person who could scout me, this person who who initially posted it, like he kept doubling down as if rankings don't matter, We've got to focus.
Speaker 4: There's still a lot on the line.
Speaker 5: And one it was kind of adorable because I mean, I've been there before, but I now kind of remind myself often and it's really because look, we can look ahead. If I can't look ahead, it would change really how we do this show. Like, by the way, fans do not matter at all when it comes to that. If you are worried about your fan base talking up a game that's you know, two games away because it's a big, big deal and you think it's going to keep your team from like, you know, staying locked in, then you've got an issue with your coach and your team.
Speaker 4: That shouldn't be the case. So that's one thing.
Speaker 5: But like just the thought of Louisville fans being in the wrong for you know, being excited that this team is playing well, This is what my response was.
Speaker 4: You ready Austin to hear it.
Speaker 5: So you think it's an issue for fans to be excited about the program taking steps to get back to where they belong. Your bothered fans are celebrating being ranked for the first time in four years when they've won twelve games total in the previous two seasons.
Speaker 4: Make that make sense.
Speaker 5: Your point is that there are still eleven games left, so why are fans happy about being ranked?
Speaker 4: Make that make sense.
Speaker 5: Outside of showing up and getting loud at the young fans have no impact on what happens on the court. You act like the team is going to slip up because fans are happy and applauding their recent success with your logic, we shouldn't be happier celebrate anything until the season is over. What fun would that be? Being ranked right now doesn't mean anything for Selection Sunday, but Louisville being ranked after two disastrous seasons is a storyline within the sport and a sign of how good of a job Kelsey is doing. Our five star point guard is sharing all the love Lovla is getting, which can only help with getting the attention of other recruits. I'm sorry, but this is one of the wildest takes I've ever seen on this app, given how terrible things have been in recent years. The fan base was so toxic with struggles over the past few years, and now they're happy to see things headed in the right direction, and you're bothered by that. With all due respect, that makes no sense.
Speaker 6: I mean it just sounds like a logical response. Yeah it was, and a completely illogical posts.
Speaker 5: And I'm not bringing it up to like use the platform here to be like, oh I dunked on this guy on Facebook.
Speaker 4: I'm just it to me. It's another sign of like, you know, like I would.
Speaker 5: Never go and get into the weeds, but I couldn't help myself because that's how much I love this team.
Speaker 2: Well, surely got some good replies, Yeah, is it your numbers? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, like, you know, the first comment was screaming from the rooftops, and then you know there's a bunch of you know, so again trust me, Like, I I'm sure this person who said it means well, but I just you know, everybody's different, and I've I've never ever gonna tell anybody how to be a fan. This guy can be a fan whichever way he wants. But I just I can't in any way rep my head around given just the overall phenomenal vibes that are that are here with us right now within Louisville Basketball that somebody yesterday was was irked that fans were sharing and you know, happy that the team is ranked again. Took Pat Kelsey less than twenty games to get Louisville ranked, and it took him how many games to surpass the amount that Kenny Payne got in two years?
Speaker 4: And like that's it's a normal thing.
Speaker 5: Like if you want fans to just sit back and not be happy because like the job's not done, the season's not over with your logic, I guess we'd still have two thousand people showing up to games. Like it's just an asinine way.
Speaker 4: To look at it. But again, people can do whatever they want.
Speaker 5: And I wasn't trying to tell this guy like he's wrong, but I just you know, like he's he's upset that fans are happy, and I just as a fan myself, I'm like, well, here, like think about let me let me give you like some perspective on how you're coming off, because it's insane to think that fans wouldn't be super excited right now like that, imagine having that response like that that be your take, and then like also then complaining if like the crowds aren't great, like well, wait a second, you told us we shouldn't be happy yet, Like.
Speaker 6: It's just I don't know, I just well, I wonder just what his take was last year and then the last two years?
Speaker 2: What was this this guy? I don't know. Do we have a name? Do you want to call him out?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Invite them to the show?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No, I don't want to do that because I don't because the reason I didn't bring up any name or really send anybody directly to it just because it's not personal by any means. But I just you know, I can't I can't relate. But a lot of people and I don't believe this. I don't know because I don't know who this person is at all. I've never even seen their profile. All I did was see their common in this group. But once I said what I said, there's other people claiming that this is somebody that maybe bothered that Louisville's good because they wanted Kenny Payne to still be the coach. I just I refuse to believe those people exist at this point in the game, like meaning where we are now. But if so, then like again, I mean, you can do whatever you want. But if like you're if you're bothered by Louisville winning and you and you think it should still be Kinny Paine here, you're a Kenny Payne fan, Which is funny. Imagine saying that you're a Kiney Paint fan and not a Louislle fan.
Speaker 6: I just noticed that that crowd has been awfully silent over the last month. Not a lot of people screaming from the mountaintops about how can you look.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of other people.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of other people who were doing that that are now just enjoying the success. And that's fine because again I learned throughout that disastrous tenure, that.
Speaker 4: We were in a position, especially in.
Speaker 5: What we do, to kind of see people reacting to something in a variety of different ways, and I can't. I hope we never are there again to see it, you know what I'm saying. Like it's just a product of where we were, and again, hopefully that's never happening again around here. Quick break, we got two more hours left right here on Sports Talk seven ninety s