Speaker 1: The Reynolds Aluminum Program with Fiber McGee and Mollie. The Reynolds Medals Company, makers of Reynold's Aluminum presents Cibber, McGee and Molly transcribed with Bill Thompson, Arthur K Bryan, Dick Legrand and me Harlow Wilcox. The show was written by Phil Leslie and Keith Poller and directed by E Zick by the King's Men and Billy Mills Orchestra. We hope you have all answered your Christmas Seal letter and use those Christmas seals on all your gifts and greeting cards.
Speaker 2: This is the time to help.
Speaker 1: Stamp out t B and this is the season for the Reynolds Metals Company to extend to you the very best of all good wishes. That best wish is peace on earth. Much of Reynolds's expanding aluminum production now goes to the defense of the nation, the defense of.
Speaker 2: Our free world.
Speaker 1: But the ultimate is peace always, and the great destiny of light, strong, rustproof Reynolds Aluminum lies in peaceful progress. The Reynolds Metals Company looks forward to the day when all aluminum production can be turned to constructive uses. In a future when the inspired hope of Christmas shall be realized, and on earth peace goodwill toward men. Well Mistmas Eve and westfol Vista and big plans are under weigh this afternoon, because tonight a certain lonely bachelor named Doctor Gamble is going to have a surprise party thrown at him by a couple of spreads of Christmas cheer named Fibber McGhee and Molly.
Speaker 3: So I got all the other guys lined up for the party. Molly, I told him what to do and what to bring to doc house Win seven thirty.
Speaker 4: Well good, I'm so glad we decided to give Doctor Gamble this big surprise party.
Speaker 3: Dearie, Yeah, he'll be the most surprised big party in town.
Speaker 5: You know, Doc must get pretty.
Speaker 3: Lonesome being a bachelor. Nothing in is stocking for Christmas but holes.
Speaker 4: Well, you know when I heard that his housekeeper had gone home for the holidays, I knew we had to do something. Yeah, we couldn't let the poor lads spend Christmas Eve alone wandering around that empty house.
Speaker 3: Let's face it, to see, no house with Doc Gamble and it is an empty house.
Speaker 6: Why when he walks into.
Speaker 3: The Elks Club, he filled the room like cigar smoke. Well, even so, did you ever notice when he walked into our living room how the grand piano steps aside? No end of a funny idea.
Speaker 4: Now look about the party tonight? What time am I supposed to call and get him away from home?
Speaker 2: Whole about seven o'clock?
Speaker 3: You give him a pony name and tell him you live way out of town and you got a upset stomach. Old Doc just loves upset stomach. He'd go ten miles to see you want if he had to crawl there on his own.
Speaker 4: Well, I hate to pool him, but it's been a good cause. Say did you manage to get hold of his extra door key?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Me and Oi did that down to the Elch Club. We knew he had to get his pants off sea, so we spilled a bucket of water on him.
Speaker 5: You know, heaven the days, wouldn't the glash of water have been enough?
Speaker 3: You ever noticed the size of Doc's riches? Get glass of water and then limousine type seat covers wouldn't hardly make a wet spot. Anyhow, he took the fants down to the furnace room and swiped the casey knot huddled around in a pair.
Speaker 2: Of red and white striped shorts.
Speaker 8: But the wonder he didn't catch cold.
Speaker 3: Well you should have seen him, or maybe you shouldn't have. From the back, he looked like a Siamese white elephant were in peppermint bloomers.
Speaker 8: He was the most fall watching McGee. He's coming up the walk right now.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there he is, good old doc. Bless his little fat wattle.
Speaker 2: He's done. Dock hold it.
Speaker 5: Tell me good morning doctor gamblers.
Speaker 3: Good morning, my dear high a possum puss hi a rumplebucket?
Speaker 2: What are you doing on walking the streets?
Speaker 5: You on the lamb from the medical board again.
Speaker 6: Yes, they found out.
Speaker 3: I've been your doctor all these years and they want to arrest me for maintaining a nuisance. Very funny, George, You pretty busy doctor.
Speaker 8: The holidays and all.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, Christmas Eve is starting early this year, Molly, I've already had one call from an MFS Santa Claus suffering from the flu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how'd you catch it?
Speaker 3: Didn't catch it?
Speaker 2: He got stuck in it.
Speaker 3: Fell a plan to surprise his children.
Speaker 6: Tonight, so he tried a dry run this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Drier than he thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boy, I hope you didn't try to go in after him at me. I sent a brick layer.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 3: I've had three calls so far from frantic mothers complaining that that children's tongues have turned blue. Oh my goodness, what cause is that? Licking Christmas tree ornaments? Sem to lick the red ones? I just swab off the tongue and check the nose and tears potinsil.
Speaker 9: What a racket he's got.
Speaker 3: Molly probably calls that a tense electomy. He charged twenty bucks for it. My gosh, I don't know how he don't talk like well, he upsets my stomach. Your stomach gets upset every time you look in the mirror loudly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I don't blame it a bit.
Speaker 3: But I didn't come here to discuss your insides, which I hate anyhow.
Speaker 2: I came to bring a gift.
Speaker 6: Well, where is it?
Speaker 2: Where's the gut?
Speaker 5: Left it at the office.
Speaker 2: I'll bring it over tomorrow.
Speaker 8: So on, Golong, isn't he sweep me?
Speaker 1: Gi?
Speaker 3: Yeah, good old doc. He's got a heart of gold way down deep inside of that tub of blubber someplace. Hey, did I tell you the extra present I got for him.
Speaker 5: Now, what'd you get?
Speaker 3: Something nice?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know when I am Dock went coil shooting. Yes, last week I took what Dock shot to attack the deermers and have it stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh he should like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he'll have the only house and wistful vesta with a stuffed cabbage on the wall.
Speaker 5: Oh so that's funny. LL me in good morning Olie, Well, good.
Speaker 2: Morning missus, and half on yourself.
Speaker 3: Mc gamely are.
Speaker 2: You get along with the food for Doc's party?
Speaker 10: Will use tangm gee, the missus is cooking of a like sixty. I'll bring the stuff and I get there. But the missus would be a little late.
Speaker 8: Oh anything wrong?
Speaker 10: Only no, of course she has to go to Skews tonight because she'd let us spending.
Speaker 2: That'll only in the Christmas play.
Speaker 5: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 8: What will they be in the play?
Speaker 10: Angel Smith's? But all day they act like they come from the wrong address.
Speaker 3: They shut up a lot, do they nagee there used playing murder?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Their mama makes angel suits for him out of my old knight shorts, and then she makes beings out of vire and hooks him on their shoulders. That's fairy beings up from the gee.
Speaker 6: I know, I know, I know that you know.
Speaker 10: Anyways, she hooks the wings on their shoulders and the kids start jumping around and the vire slips down. You wouldn't believe very vings sprouted from them.
Speaker 2: I got a fair idea.
Speaker 5: Well, I tell you you're mighty lucky to have those children.
Speaker 11: Only.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just think what a lonely life doctor Gamble has being a bachelor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I often think of the doctor at Christmas, message all by himself from that big house, no little voices on Christmas morning, no little feet running down the stairs. You're right o, my message a house seemed like a home. It must seem use like heaven.
Speaker 6: See there seven forty so long. But you all.
Speaker 8: You know I'm glad Risus Winston is fixing food for the party.
Speaker 3: She's one of the best cooks in town. Oh, no, better than you are at all. Maybe you don't think all notices them things, But to me you are the queen of the skillet.
Speaker 5: Why thank you deady Ain't many women.
Speaker 3: Could cook a cheap lambshank so it tastes like the best fork hams you buy a law on the lamb and make it seem like we're reading high on the hogs.
Speaker 8: Why mc gee, you overwhelmed me me too, and I love it because I don't get come me in her daughter, Johnny Hall, their kids, come on, Miss Joel Zimon, my old timer. Did you get the tree in the holly for docs party tonight?
Speaker 2: Paul took care of Chiny? How was up Brady this morning?
Speaker 12: At half to the woods at the crack of dawn? My new scout axe, some old battle axe, old battle axe. My girl friend Bessie. I took her along to help me pick the holly all. Bessie just loves him crazy red berries.
Speaker 8: Is she coming to the party with you tonight?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: She can't make a daughter. Her sister Essie is visiting her for Christmas. She's an ostrich Yes, he is an ostrich yup married in Austrian always has a glass in one hand and another glass screwed in his eye. He sounds like a duke, or maybe a count.
Speaker 12: Might be a duke, Johnny, but the son of a gun is no count. Worry three dollars from Bessie yesterday just to get his spats half sold.
Speaker 11: Millennia.
Speaker 5: I hope you got a nice treet for the doctor's house.
Speaker 1: You girls.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a beauty daughter.
Speaker 11: And I know trees.
Speaker 2: I come from a long line of free experts.
Speaker 12: In fact, all the Papa's folks spent most of their time hanging around.
Speaker 2: Big Tree.
Speaker 3: By their next probably no, by their tails.
Speaker 2: That's my favorite joke, Johnny. I'll tell it at the party tonight. So cat.
Speaker 1: Billy Mills and the orchestra and the special arrangement of some familiar Christmas melodies.
Speaker 6: Jumper Jumper.
Speaker 3: Said, Boy, I can't wait to get over to Docs and get started putting up the tree and everything almost time to go in it.
Speaker 8: I'm just pasting Christmas eals on his presence. I put the fruitcake and the root beer out in the front hall.
Speaker 2: What do you got there, oh?
Speaker 9: Books.
Speaker 3: I've been looking through my own special treasures to see if there wasn't something else I could give Old Doc for Christmas. These books he'll love.
Speaker 8: Well, that's a generous thought.
Speaker 5: What are they doing?
Speaker 2: All my favorites.
Speaker 3: Here's Tarzan's other eight, here's the Rover Boys with King Karuk. Here's Tom Swift and his mechanical limp picker. Ah, these are the prize books of the litter.
Speaker 5: I've seen the way you keep your books, Darian.
Speaker 8: Litter is the word, all right. Ah, you're sweet though you are fond of the doctor.
Speaker 3: Ah, sure, I love every ton of him. Me and old Doc hit it off the first time I looked into his eyes and he looked down my throat. It was a long time ago, but I'll never forget it. It was ten years ago or more. We just come to whistle this. Then I had a back ache and I saw his sign, doctor George Gamble. I went in and told Doc what was wrong, and he smiled a friendly smile and put a friendly hand on my shoulder, and something clicked.
Speaker 8: Friendship, No, my spine.
Speaker 2: And give me a wrench.
Speaker 3: That darn near busted my lilyac jured my back ache, though, So I told him just to mail me a bill and I'd send him a check. And I will too one of these days. Leave me, kiddo, and I make a promise with the prompt.
Speaker 4: Hello, MOI prus about time you got here.
Speaker 3: We're almost ready to go to docs.
Speaker 5: Did you bring the decorations? Mister Wilcox, where are they? Where are they out in the car?
Speaker 1: Molly got a briefcase full?
Speaker 8: Oh and you shouldn't put Christmas tree ornaments in a briefcase.
Speaker 2: You'll smash them, Tah, not these, Molly.
Speaker 1: I'm going to dress up that tree and dress up the room with Reynold's rap, that beautiful gleaming aluminum foil.
Speaker 3: Off and I should have bought candy cane.
Speaker 1: Now wait a minute, look, pal, Reynold's rap can be used for Christmas decorations in dozens of ways. For instance, you can wrap things.
Speaker 2: In it and hang them on the tree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what kind of things you wrap in it?
Speaker 2: Nuts? Poul?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 3: Nuts to you too?
Speaker 1: No? No, well, nuts, poul Yeah?
Speaker 2: Any what you mean?
Speaker 1: Reynold's rat turns them into beautiful shining ornaments. It's almost magical. Away that gleaming foil dresses up a house at Christmas. I wouldn't have a Christmas without reynolds wrap.
Speaker 5: Come to think of it, I guess we wouldn't either.
Speaker 7: Ah.
Speaker 1: You can tie shining bows of it on your Christmas wreath. You can drape it over the mantel. You can spread it out under the punch I'll.
Speaker 3: Take the old fashioned Christmas for mine with Uncle Dennis spread out under the punch bowl.
Speaker 4: Now, never mind Uncle Dennis I think he Reynolds wrap decoration sound lovely, mister Wilco, But you.
Speaker 1: Haven't heard my best idea, Molly. I'm going to build a winter scene under Doc's tree, some artificial snow, some evergreen twigs, and a sheet of Reynolds raft to make a sparkling lake.
Speaker 2: No, no, Junior, no lake, no lake whie no like?
Speaker 6: Oh oh, so there can't be a.
Speaker 3: Lake because you no like?
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: A lake ain't a lake unless it's got water in it.
Speaker 6: So no lake.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait a minute, A Reynolds rat lake is better than a lake with.
Speaker 3: Water no leak, well leach or no leak I don't like, so no lake.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to make a Reynolds wrap lake with no leak. If you no like, you know what you can do? What no?
Speaker 5: Look that's telling him, mister Wilco.
Speaker 1: I intend to make full use of Reynolds raft, made by the world's largest producer of a luminum foil, the Reynolds Medals Company. Everybody should get an extra supply for the holidays, because, okay, it's terrific.
Speaker 2: As the farmer said to the.
Speaker 3: Hired man on the haystack, got ten feet tall.
Speaker 5: That's enough. Pitch. Now, you boys take the car.
Speaker 8: Now, I'll call a doctor. Now I'm getting out of the high.
Speaker 3: Are you packed the car, Junior? I'll get the number for your Hello operator. Give me the residence of doctor George Gambull wistful bits to.
Speaker 6: Two O three?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Is that h mert?
Speaker 3: Now's very little singer?
Speaker 2: Say?
Speaker 3: What's amert? Your kid brother became a popper last week.
Speaker 5: I didn't even know he was married.
Speaker 3: He just got a better job at.
Speaker 10: The popcorn factory.
Speaker 2: He used to be a shucker, now he's a popper.
Speaker 6: How's that merd? No, it didn't go so good here either.
Speaker 3: She's ringing, doc. Now grab the phone kit on do your stuff.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hello is doctor Gimble there?
Speaker 5: This is doctor Campbell.
Speaker 2: Well, doctor, this.
Speaker 3: Is missus Wearywart.
Speaker 5: Would you come to my house right away?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got a misery in my stomach.
Speaker 5: Well where do you live, missus uh weary Wart. I'm out on the old Docs Road about eight.
Speaker 8: Miles as the crow flies if and it's a young Kroll.
Speaker 5: And your house, missus uh weary Wart.
Speaker 3: You can't miss the house.
Speaker 8: It's brown with a hole in the roof where we used to have a lightning rod.
Speaker 2: I wish you'd hurry, doctor.
Speaker 8: The misery in my stomach is getting oh real chronic.
Speaker 5: All right, I leave it once.
Speaker 2: It's still weary.
Speaker 8: Ward, goodbye, doctor Gimble.
Speaker 3: Well he's leading now, boy, good come on, junior, grab the root here and let's get started for Doc.
Speaker 2: Call.
Speaker 6: Well, make sure that breeze is in the thunder of the window there before you nail it up.
Speaker 3: Holy row, we'll get that.
Speaker 2: Tension on the tree there.
Speaker 3: Boy, come on, old timer, get the morning and tom dot oh dot?
Speaker 5: Mean here is he no dairy roulent?
Speaker 2: Yeah? This is a surprise party for Doc. Remember, yeah, well, keep working follows. We haven't got all night. He couldn't stood it all night. Hand me the hammer, read Cox, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Hand me the hammer up there. Hey, wimp, you can pull up wimpaid here either?
Speaker 6: Is he don't gone?
Speaker 2: Fine? Whimp here you s floky. I guess maybe he couldn't get away.
Speaker 6: Turney, Well, he better get away.
Speaker 3: We all got work to do here, Bendy, you start doing yours. Bendy, what do you mean I'm working every minute only I'm thinking, and that only his work. Well, certainly, my guy, somebody's got a boss this deal.
Speaker 2: Come on, you guys, let's get this job done here, Okay, Boss.
Speaker 11: Can mitch more lights?
Speaker 6: I'll put them up.
Speaker 3: I'll put the lights on the tree. I want it done right.
Speaker 2: Where are they are the floor, boss, right behind the wall.
Speaker 8: Oh my gear, you step down.
Speaker 3: Over all that answer, Dad rabbit?
Speaker 2: What blunk had left them Christmas tree lights on the floor?
Speaker 13: You did?
Speaker 6: Boss?
Speaker 5: Why didn't somebody pick them up? I can't think of everything?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, No, wait a minute, take an easy, boss. We's got plenty of lights. Hey, what if Doc comes home before we're through?
Speaker 3: Oh, I got that all covered. Boy, I got teeny the kid down the street watching for him. As soon as Doc's car turns down this block, shield be.
Speaker 2: Hey, here's one of us went on. Yeah, hello all, let's hold the ladder.
Speaker 11: Hello, mister Wimple, Hello folks, Look at the popcorn bows.
Speaker 5: There for later.
Speaker 8: Mister Wimple.
Speaker 6: Yeah, where you been?
Speaker 3: Boy? You're late?
Speaker 11: Well. The sweety face and I had a little discussion about go to hang our holly reasons. Oh, I wanted to hang them in the windows, and she wanted to hang them on the door.
Speaker 3: I suppose she won the argument.
Speaker 11: No, we compromise.
Speaker 3: Well, that's fine.
Speaker 11: She hung one on the door, and I hung one on the window, and then she hung.
Speaker 3: One on me.
Speaker 11: Just looking at those popcorn bulls makes me hungry.
Speaker 5: Well here, mister Wimble, no use torturing your sup I'll put them up.
Speaker 8: Here on the mattle where you can't see them.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 13: Well, come on, get to.
Speaker 3: Work, grab that last string of Christmas tree lights? There, boy, test the.
Speaker 2: Bulls, will you.
Speaker 8: I'll try a d one fish, do you know, knock in your mouth?
Speaker 2: I said, test them?
Speaker 11: Oh, I thought you said taste them. I didn't think it'd had much flavor to them.
Speaker 2: Although I once tried.
Speaker 11: A briddle bill Flicky's egg and it looked just like a light bulb.
Speaker 12: How the taste like a light bulb?
Speaker 11: I'd rather have popcorn bubs.
Speaker 2: Look, two fellers caught out of the yak yack, can hind them lights off?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 10: I used to need one more spring from the top.
Speaker 8: Ah, the tree looks just beautiful, doesn't it?
Speaker 3: Megee?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Thanks miss?
Speaker 1: All the gifts dare yeah, and the beautiful Reynolds wrapped that pure aluminum foil spread out?
Speaker 2: All right, you guys, all right, let's check this whole thing off now and be sure we.
Speaker 3: Have to overlook any Wilcox. All the decorations up right, Molly, all the food laid out.
Speaker 6: Root beer ready?
Speaker 2: Right, old timer, you got your ornaments and tensil on the tree. Right, holy you got the lightshole on the tree.
Speaker 10: Oh, this is you silly, you're looking right at it.
Speaker 6: McGhee.
Speaker 3: Just look around this room when I think what a wonderful thing I'm doing for old Doc for Christmas, and just gives me a warm feeling all over.
Speaker 11: That's the way I am about popcorn bows.
Speaker 8: Call I sare you the doctor will love us there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he ought to be here soon on me right now.
Speaker 9: Look here's what we do, you guys.
Speaker 3: As soon as we hear he's coming, we'll douse all the lights in.
Speaker 1: Here side and took the ball out of the hall light.
Speaker 11: Fowl good.
Speaker 3: When Doc comes in and turns on the hall switch, it won't light see and he'll stand there muttering and stuttering to himself. And then we'll turn on the Christmas.
Speaker 8: Tree and we'll all holler Merry Christmas, mister mc he's coming.
Speaker 3: Ok okaytene, you stay here now quick, dossil lights.
Speaker 10: I'll stand by the tree McGee and put it on Ben Todaddy.
Speaker 1: I'll stand over here.
Speaker 5: I'll stand here by the popcorn.
Speaker 2: Bo oh McGee.
Speaker 5: This is so exciting. I know the doctor will just love it. Acquiet, everybody, stay with me.
Speaker 2: People that call me out on Christmas Eve, all the gold roam around the country for three hours and never did.
Speaker 3: Okay, only turned on the tree.
Speaker 5: Jif you go Mary, try.
Speaker 3: Harry Christmas well gee with a tree, a presence McGhee and Molly and whipp and only in a fellows. You shouldn't have done it.
Speaker 2: At that tree and all the presents. Yeah, I'm sure.
Speaker 10: I gotta tell you doctor, the whole hand muss old.
Speaker 11: He was used to land things like doing the work.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: He thought it all?
Speaker 5: Yes he did, doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how to say thanks.
Speaker 6: It's a little little tallowhead.
Speaker 3: See I want and I the only reasonably well you know us, guys, we will when you deserve a doc. You've been a sweet old slob. It's gonna be slowly around here. This is a wonderful surprise, kid.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I meant all either, Docky.
Speaker 3: We saved the best surprise for the last okay, seen.
Speaker 13: Come on, kids, people, Christmas creature were reach keeping.
Speaker 6: Me with king then.
Speaker 9: But youren were nestled all warm, and there we.
Speaker 6: Little wild vision, some sugar clows and stimmre.
Speaker 2: We lit mom, And I'm n.
Speaker 7: Like that just that.
Speaker 6: Bar. When I was a cutter, I ran when I didn't see what was the matter in the window. I put like a five star A shutters through all the time. What to buy one to drink? I shouldn't hear, but a man, as you say, may right there will drop for some right away that it must be. Take this to is what Pole said. Was covered but ax some tidle in my hand, and was turning around with all.
Speaker 8: His eyes a twinkle.
Speaker 13: It's beautiful, how merry. His cheeks were like thoses, his nose like a cherry.
Speaker 8: His jolly old mom was Johnna likeable.
Speaker 6: The bed on his chin was sad.
Speaker 13: Likes still.
Speaker 6: Stuff bothering all type and see out time. And his teeth as for where they are around here like a he was Johnny, and fund I my jolly old Johnny old else he said, I am dead a laugh handle laughed when as is fin mysel he had brought face off round belly.
Speaker 7: Shy laugh sycamore jelly for He gave me a wink of his eyes and face on his hand chuckle land smile.
Speaker 6: I knew all the while hands of thing to dread.
Speaker 13: He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work.
Speaker 9: And filled all the snocky, and turned.
Speaker 6: With a dirkhinger a side of his norm and giving a log the chimney. He's my clsay res all, and away he my God. I heard an exclaim.
Speaker 9: All Merry Christmas to all, and to all goods, and I after Christmas to the horse.
Speaker 6: The creature is story.
Speaker 2: The present suscant and broke.
Speaker 6: So Nicholas won't come again. Chim and nestle in a weed, little greas of sugar blots, Di siver we.
Speaker 2: Little my courchin, and I.
Speaker 6: Mycause with kay.
Speaker 3: Preceding was transcribed.
Speaker 12: This is NBC, the National Broadcasting Company
Speaker 7: M