Speaker 1: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio WAB. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Wyn the Bargario, Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. He's Dave Silver. Now we have Henry with breaky news.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Raiders wide receiver Devanta Adams is not expected to play Sunday with a hamstring injury. He also told the Raiders yesterday that he prefers to get traded.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I saw that, dude. Oh we didn't talk about this. You weren't here. That he wants to be traded and go to a good team that you know has a chance. And we were thinking, uh, not the not the Dolphins because they didn't need a quarterback, but Cowboys. What about the Cowboys. Don't Cowboys need a receiver for two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was something that came out that said he wants to go to a team with the QBS familiar with. So it could be the Saints with Derek Carr or the Jets with Rogers.
Speaker 2: I think the Jets probably would be number one. And he's a fantastic receiver. Right. The Raiders are just they're they're bizarre, you know, sometimes they look good, sometimes look bad. They haven't looked good since nineteen eighty six. That they like the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when was the last time they want a playoff game?
Speaker 2: The Raiders or the Cowboys? The Cowboys have been a lot. They won one, I think last since the Super Bowl ninety six to what we were talking about just moments ago. I don't know.
Speaker 3: The Liberty defeated the Aces eighty eight to eighty four yesterday to take a two oho series lead in the best of five. Game three is Friday in Vegas, and the Links defeated the Sun seventy seven to seventy that even that series won one and Game three is also Friday in Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So along those lines, I think that some of the bigger stories that I've seen today, at least excuse me, it was that Caitlin Cark's out right, So the the viewership has been hit hard.
Speaker 4: I'm not surprised. It's been her year, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and people, you know, did you watch any of her games?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because of her? Because yeah, yeah, you just kind of want to see what she's gonna do right. Uh, she's got that Stephen Curry factor where you watching think what's she gonna come up with? Now, I'm not even sure why I did, but I did do the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean definitely in her college games. You know, it was it was kind of just the way it was, the way it was presented and it was available, and ESPN especially did a great job I think of promoting her and the other young women that were coming through college basketball. I mean it's this is about as powerful and as strong that sport has been.
Speaker 2: Since we've been around. I think Brink Reese, you got married, and Cameron Brink just announced she's getting married. All kinds of stuffy, you know now, So you know, a threesomeilire with with Caitlyn and Reese and uh and Brink and there's others obviously.
Speaker 4: I mean, Reese is on the cover of Sports Illustrated last month, so you.
Speaker 2: Know, I even about to someone I bought it, but someone got me a Kaitlyn cart Clark shirt I work the other day. Yeah that's pretty cool. Sure.
Speaker 4: I saw something today too about maybe Nike is not promoting her as much as they thought they were going to because I don't know. I mean, I didn't read deeper into this. Yeah, so I'm sure now that she's kind of finally has an off season, she'll have a little extra time to do whatever it is that she needs to do to get promoted. And I'm sure she's going to have all kinds of a collection of clothes and shoes and commercials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you went through it right at the TV. They cut your hair and they gave you free clothes sort of what is that something one of those Yeah, yeah, okay, you don't need to tell me. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Arizona Football has announced today that the homecoming game versus Colorado on October nineteenth has already been sold out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, did you get your guy a ticket?
Speaker 3: Well, the student tickets aren't until like a week.
Speaker 2: Well, so you're not guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not garing.
Speaker 2: So you either you get what or you don't. And Matt may or may not get in.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think I'm not going to go as a reporter. I'm going to go as a fan because it's the uh Deon Sanders curiosity, right, and it should be a good game. I guess Deon's bringing the family. It's a big family affair. When he arrives, it's going to be a lot of fun, big TV. It'll be nice to know what time the game is going to be. That's always a big question. They didn't say what time, right.
Speaker 4: They're just said it will come out like a week before, yeah, or so thin team.
Speaker 2: That's two weeks from this weekend already the twenty six What games.
Speaker 3: Of twenty sixth West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Oh good, because I'm I think I'm I'm actually go into this week's game Texas Tech. Yeah, I just got my credential today for you're going to go. As a fan, I'll be sitting in the stands, So wave to me. Yeah, where are you? Where you sitting there? We sit? Wait? Wait, you don't usually.
Speaker 4: Go Actually you know I've been to one other game this year. Yeah, I went to the NAU game.
Speaker 2: Yeah as a fan.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think we sit, you know, on the visitors side, the west side, twenty five yard line maybe. Okay, so up, fairly up? Okay, yeah, just so long as it's not one hundred degrees at kickoff? No, what I'm not hoping for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, on Saturday night, this Saturday, it's eight o'clock it's true. Can we go home here at midnight? You know what? You know what? It's at eight? Right, it's eight, so you're not getting out of the eleven thirty maybe gosh a late night walking to the car.
Speaker 4: Twelve, I have those dreadful nine o'clock basketball starts, so I'm sure Arizona'll have a few of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah this year, I mean, if you can.
Speaker 4: I mean one of the beauties of the Big Twelve. I don't know if you're like me, but I mean there are Big twelve games on all day long in football, starting right at the very beginning of the day. That Kansas State Oklahoma State game was on it at nine, and you know Arizona's playing at eleven at night. I mean, all day long, there's games, right, so there's a lot.
Speaker 2: To Henry will be there. You're going this weekend?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be there.
Speaker 2: Where do you sit?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Student section? Okay, it's just first come, first survey.
Speaker 2: A dude waving this is uh his tow is a shirt? No, his shirt with you know, with the Z. He's the one that wear the Z with no shirt on.
Speaker 3: Arizona Volleyball has their Big twelve home opener tonight, at six p m. Versus b y U.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I don't know much about it.
Speaker 4: I know we they've how they do in that one game on the road when they were Texas Tech. You should we should know this. We're reporters. We should be looking this up.
Speaker 2: What do you mean we were rout? We're we do a radio show. That's what we do.
Speaker 3: They're on the they're currently eleven and two. They're on a two game losing.
Speaker 2: This is this is they were undefeated?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were eleven to know they've lost the last two games.
Speaker 2: Right right, Well, welcome to the big twelves. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: The Tigers defeated the Astros five to two to advance today L D D S against the Guardians, which will started on Saturday, and the Royals and Orioles are currently playing. It is two to one Royals in the winner of that series will also play the Yankees starting on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 4: I mean, I again, I've enjoyed watching the Yankees and the Dodgers, the two teams who were I'm sure favored but probably won't wind up that way. But that's kind of how baseball goes, it seems. But it's been fun. Watching Otani and weren't judge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Jicks loved the LUNGBW I do love the long ball.
Speaker 3: The trade that will send Karl Anthony Towns to the Knicks and Julius Randall and Dante Devintenzo to the Timberwolves is officially.
Speaker 2: Official, officially official. Are you a k I am a Knicks fan. Yeah, you're a Knicks fan. It's been a tough life for you, son.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, I was going to send you a meme. I will send you a memo about the Jets because we were talking about in the car coming up one day. It was like last week. Some guy said, my dad told me not to not to to well the show. It was kind of off color, but you know which of course made me think should I send this to you or not? Well, I get in trouble because you're my interned. But it was it was very funny and it was very accurate with what you and I talked about because your dad told give me the story.
Speaker 3: My dad basically told me when I was like seven that me and my brother didn't have to root for the Jets and we could pick a different team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was a Jets guy. Yeah, he didn't want you to suffer the misery that he's been suffering.
Speaker 3: That's all I got.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that was what. Uh, there was a few things out there that I talked, So we talked about the Caitlin Clark factor. I wanted you to find I'm looking at the Zona Zoo website, you said, and I can't find it either, Right, who's in charge there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a link that I clicked on that just took me in nothing.
Speaker 2: And this said, yeah it says expireds. I'm there because I want to get one of those students that's in charge over there. I have to. You know, Jay's one that ripped him a lot. But they've been fantastic. Yeah, they have been something they hadn't been in the past, which is fantastic. Yeah, there's it's kind of nice.
Speaker 4: They built that little section, couple sections where they can just stand, you know, and they don't have to you know.
Speaker 2: Of course, that isn't it like around the twenties there's that open air area. Isn't that still?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh I thought there were there's no seats there.
Speaker 3: There's like part of the sections you can just stand in the front.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of like standing room only situations. Okay, you know, like stuck on the bleachers and things like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, well it's been fantastic. I'm you sure you're the leader of that group there, Henry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's so much of a leader. They have no idea who's in charge?
Speaker 2: Is there somebody ever in charge? Or there has to be somebody in charge? You have like a captain or president of the people.
Speaker 3: There's students who work for it, but I don't I don't know how to get in touch with them.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we're trying to find them. I want to kind of say, hey, what do you want to know? Oh, the fact that they've they've been really good, because yeah, I've been sticking around. They're in full force. Uh, this is totally different than we've seen in the past. But I've seen in the past where you know, it's a pizza party at halftime and they're gone, right, you know, Bob Dobbs or whoever is opening two for ones or something, because they're gone.
Speaker 4: Well, as I was saying before, you watch those big twelve games, Yeah, they are rare crazy. You know, eleven o'clock start in still Water and the place is rocking and you know, Arizona is gonna need to pick up their game if they want to stick, you know, close to the attendance figures, no question.
Speaker 2: And you've been here long enough and you never left, like me, what's the reason? Because it's two Solon's a nice place, but people here, So you know, Tucson, there's a lot to do where there's not anything to do. Uh, in those places, there's probably plenty to do, like Tucson, right, it's it's a smallish big town or whatever. And they stay, they stay, and they and they rock the house.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you know there's some larger cities in that conference, to the Cincinnatis and the TCUs and Central Floridas, whereas that's in Orlando. So I mean there's some big cities in that in that conference, and they are filling the stadiums, and you know, I think, I don't know, there's some crazy statistic about that where it's you know, eighty five percent filled things in most cases, if not better. And even you know BYU's always done, Utah always phills and so Arizona as you need to kind of step up their game a little bit.
Speaker 2: Right, We'll see if that happens. But it's it's very cool and Arizona needs the needs the attendance financially, that's for sure. In otherwise, so we'll see. Just was that it, Senor Henry. That's everything you had locally. I knew there were some other things.
Speaker 4: It'd be another good thing. Not that I'm here to book your guests, but you know, a new president starting there, and be interesting to see his feelings about athletics, because Robert Robbins was a.
Speaker 2: Big Well that's funny because I saw that he had a speech out there today right at the at the Union. You didn't go to that, did you? The new president? Yeah? The new president. Well, I wanted to. I want to still want to get doctor Robinson because he was a frequent guest and he was a fantastic guest because you know, you talked sports. He was lighting it up, tell us some stuff. I wanted to say goodbye to him one because he you know, we talked every now and at the basketball games. Uh, and then he'll missed I'm sure he's gonna miss them. Yeah. But the funny thing is you want to talk to him. You want to have had a new guy for possibly having the same love for sports. Just don't get involved. Just don't get involved. The previous president.
Speaker 4: Exactly what I mean. God, the Pack Packed twelve whatever they were at the end. I don't know about those presidents. I don't know who was making the calls on all that. Yeah, that was just that nobody could agree. Egos, egos gotten the way of a good time.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And now you got Gonzaga going into the big I had Andy Opis here yesterday and I think it was on the year maybe not. And we were talking about that the PAC twelve is in name only. Oh yeah, in name only because those teams went into PAC twelve are not Pack twelve. No, no, you know, are they still going to have headquarters in San Francisco or I wouldn't do I would assume not. I would think that they. Well, the one of the things that should have happened a long time ago was and Larry Scott should have spearheaded this has moved to Vegas. But you know, the emperor has no clothes, and he wanted it in San Francisco at the highest priced place you could pay in San Francisco because of who he was or what he thought he was. Yeah, No, he put him in Colorado State and have cheap bread.
Speaker 4: I think the studio is still going to be a thing. Yeah, and that's going to be used either these Mountain West teams that are coming in or I know that the studio is not going anywhere for a while, so that they're gonna always have the Pac twelve studios, which are beautiful in San Francisco, right down the street from where the Giants play. Yeah, it's a great location from that standpoint, just cost a fortune.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we were talking about this. We have a couple of minutes. The Fernano Venezuela. Yeah, it's he's gonna step away from his Spanish speaking job with the Dodgers. He's been there since I didn't realize since ninety one, since ninety one on his new gig, you're not new gig, most recent gig, so thirty some years. And now he looked well, I guess it's because of health. He didn't look good. No, no, it wasn't the Fernando that we remember watched. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The quote I'm reading here is quote he aims to return for the twenty twenty five season, but he's gonna leave to focus on his health. He's been broadcasting for Spanish radio for a long time. You know, we've watched him since nineteen eighty one. That was a big Fernando Mania year and he kind of you know he do you remember when he came through Tucson a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, no year, No, was he in the Mexican League.
Speaker 4: No, there was a moment. What was he here for exactly? That wasn't Jane, No, it was him. They look alike. But no, he was here. I believe he was coaching maybe a Mexican youth team or maybe a Mexican Olympic team. There was a time where I remember hearing about that, Yes, and I remember we had lunch. There was an event at Meeches, the restaurant Meaches like South Gissan, and he was there, and I know he was in town for some for some reason. This has got to be twenty five years ago.
Speaker 2: That reminds me. I'm sure he brought a big crowd. Yeah, big crowd. He's kind of like De la Hoya, who brought big crowds when he was here. Outside of that, and I'm probably speaking out of turn here, but I went to a lot of those I was you know, took pictures of del Hoya covering boxing and just happens to have taking pictures any other Hispanic guys that have come through here that were not singers, h Julio Caesar Travis. Yeah, yeah, he fought here, well his son did, the son did and uh and Macho Camacho back and then covered that fight when he was here. But nothing like I'm sure Fernando, and nothing like De la Hoya that brought brought those people out.
Speaker 4: You know, you know when they were both retired, right they weren't, they weren't even competing, but they were at that point they were like the figurehead for their boxing into the casinos and stuff like that. Right, But yeah, Fernando came. I mean, I can remember it. I don't remember the exact circumstance, but I think it was some type of a youth league or remember Arizona excuse me, Tucson had us a baseball for a few years. It might have been an affiliated with that. When we talked to Mike Fader, he could probably reminisce and remember for exactly what that reason why it was definitely here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Mike was here at the times.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, let's take a break and come back with Mike Vader.
Speaker 1: Your chance to win one thousand dollars. You just entered this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Dollar.
Speaker 1: That's dollar. Enter it right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Ready to discover your soul, your wild side.
Speaker 3: Your passion, your joy and excitement.
Speaker 1: From the latest slots in table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 6: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise so Fasco YUCKI trye.
Speaker 7: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 7: Visit a room and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipax Arizona.
Speaker 3: Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 2: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 8: I'm twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 9: School and the False four season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts.
Speaker 2: They are deserving.
Speaker 9: It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a Chris looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps.
Speaker 2: Shorts are long sleeve.
Speaker 9: Follows, and why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season for over one thousand fun items of choosroom come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street.
Speaker 6: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership.
Speaker 2: Paul Volpi is.
Speaker 6: Ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volte team dot com. That's volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to lindrixsyn credit rates and available loan programs of subjict to change the nut notice.
Speaker 9: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at this chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports.
Speaker 2: Cards and trading card games.
Speaker 9: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 2: Ready to save but not sure where to begin?
Speaker 10: Take the Pyramid Bedroom Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash ten k challenge to get started today and really insured NCUA.
Speaker 11: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Holmes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home. Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: Streamy Live on the Ihearts Radio Wive. This is Eye on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to I in the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen on Steve Rivera. In with me today is Dave silver Chat formerly Channel nine. Many years ago? Does you feel like many years ago? As many years ago?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Twelve? As he's not calling, right, we're waiting for my favorite.
Speaker 5: Come.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you should we call him? I think yeah, he calls it. He's he's a big boy. He knows what he's doing. Okay, so let me ask you maybe a personal question. You may not be, but you're out of You've been out of the business, sello, out of the eleven years. Eleven years and that's kind of an attorney for sports that you were in it forever too. Yeah, as I watched TV and this is not shock as I watch TV, is as we all watch TV or whatever.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: The age range is like twenty two to twenty eight to the anchors in the in the anchors and just the people out in the field though. It's just the way of the world, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I guess it kind of just depends to on the on the market where you are, and Tucson is generally, you know, maybe the second stop for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but now it's the first stop. You're exactly right in my opinion too. Yeah, yeah, I mean for me, it was my third stop. So I worked four years before I got here, and that was the process, right, that was the process.
Speaker 4: I probably could have gotten away with without the middle one, but just the way it turned out, that one actually turned out to be really beneficial. But San Luis Obispo, So Cal Polly and a bunch of high schools.
Speaker 2: So what was your first stop? Palm Springs? Palm Springs, Okay, and you have Palm Springs, Well saw my paycheck? Yeah, yeah, you wouldn't have any question about that. And that's another thing. TV people is glorious as it sounds. Don't make a whole lot of money now at that level. It takes a lot of levels to get some money.
Speaker 4: And when I think about what it took to get me out of Palm Springs and what it took to get me here, it's it's pretty laughable, but it experienced things, especially what I had done in the two smaller markets, really helping once I got here.
Speaker 2: Laughable in a good way or a bad way to check you, Yeah, it was it was rough.
Speaker 4: Oh you're talking about living.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so it was not a big jump. Oh yeah, it was a big jump. Yeah. It was a good jomb yeah, from one to three. Yeah, yeah, no, as it should be. I mean, this is still a market where people come in after out of Crown Kite or here and and stay or not. And I think one of the things that the kids, and I'll say kids, young guys out of call, young people out of college, realize it's work. It's work in a different way. Because Dave Silver had a cameraman. Dave Silver probably wrote his script. I don't know. Maybe nowadays they do it all yeah, right, and they become I didn't, but I didn't sign up for this. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But you know what, when I started, I had to do that all myself. The smaller markets back. You know, you start working in Palm Springs or places like that, You're going out there with the camera on your own and you know, coming up with a story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was it was not easy yeah, so I want to reach out to Mike. Mike usually has his phone here just once you give him a quick call, so he's probably getting ready for this big game tomorrow. I want to give him grief about that that graphic you know you need to bit charter or what are those? What are those things that you know.
Speaker 4: The every sponsor that you can think of is mentioned in this one graphic about the Mexican Baseball Fiesta, which starts tomorrow and runs through Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, No, I just want to talk about the TV uh. And I'm sure it was a great, great career obviously, and you eventually just eventually said goodbye to it. No, it was it was good. And now the Sean Mooney's of the world are still there. But you gonna wait, who shut Moody, Shut Mooney. He's still here. He's still there. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. He's like one of the older ones there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we've go way back. There was a moment in his career where he was working for the w.
Speaker 2: W F I believe, yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember Sean Sean just safe sitting would mention him out, what hey, Mike, is this you. This is me, Mike Fader. Did you not get my text message to you?
Speaker 5: No, I've been I'm putting out fire inside of the ball.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that makes sense. You're hey. By the way, your your flyer for the games at Keno Memorial Stadium. Holy crap, I need like a pipe chart I test exam to figure it out.
Speaker 5: Well, how do you think I feel? I'm older than you are?
Speaker 2: Holy moly, you got it? What did you say, Dave?
Speaker 4: What you got about? How many sponsors?
Speaker 5: Mike?
Speaker 4: You must have twenty five sponsors, which is good?
Speaker 5: No, we have. We have a lot of sponsors, and we've got a lot of stuff going on, and we got and we got a lot of events and a lot of music, and it's just a whole I could say something a lot worse, but it's just a big sack full of great stuff.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: In fact, I was telling Dave here if we're asking David if you've ever been to a game, and then he said no, And I'm thinking you got to go. It's just for the just for the fun.
Speaker 5: What Dave is on with you?
Speaker 2: Dave Silver?
Speaker 5: Oh, Hi, Dave, I didn't know what it was.
Speaker 2: It's me.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've never been doing I've always been doing that. I've always came. I got free time, so I can come there.
Speaker 5: You go?
Speaker 2: What day do you suggest you go? Sunday? The Pachunka? Saturday the Pachuna? What Pajunga do you go to.
Speaker 5: Sunday? Is La Breisa? Uh? So that's always a funny act. But the band Friday uh is supposed to be really good. Somebody showed me a video. I can't pronounce it. So uh. The band in Almo Ceo a few weeks ago through one hundred thousand people.
Speaker 2: What Wow, they're gonna play?
Speaker 4: So when did they play?
Speaker 2: They played during the game, the big band.
Speaker 5: No, the big bands play following the games, and if anything, they start maybe towards the end of the second game. And then we have bands that play between games. Uh. And then we have music that plays all the time.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it wasn't Pitbull.
Speaker 5: I think we have I think we actually have played Pitbull before.
Speaker 2: Bad Bunny Yeah, so many big No.
Speaker 5: I don't know if we played Bad Fun.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sure. How was last week? Did you were in Phoenix?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? It's too hot? Oh the heat killed us there. It was like we were starting games at like one ten ouh and it's just one twelve one day. So the heat really did us in last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's gonna be a little better here, but still gonna be.
Speaker 5: Well, the difference is here it is a little better. I'd be closer to one hundred, which obviously is not great. But it cools down in Tucson. It doesn't cool down in Phoenix, and so at night it will be beautiful out here. I mean that's so you know, we're looking forward to it and we're not. You know, this temperature is probably similar to some years we've had here and it really didn't hurt us that badly. It Plus, the people in Tucson know this event so well, right, I mean this is year thirteen. You know. In Phoenix last week we went from Sloan Park where the Cubs have spring training, to Camelback Ranch where the Dodgers and White Sox are and so that created some confusion as well. You know, this this is just this is they know where they are and they're ready to come out and have a good time.
Speaker 4: Okay, So there's four days, two games each day. Correct, Where where are these teams in terms of training? I mean, obviously the u of A is going to be is going to slide into that first day. Are these teasons winter ball or were?
Speaker 5: No? No, The Mexican Winter League season starts the end of next week, so this is training. This is spring training for them, just like the Major league teams that used to come here. This is preceding the start of their season. And so four of the six teams that are playing here. We're in Phoenix last week and stayed here all week and Tucsons, you know, stayed at our hotels, eight at our restaurants and just had a good time. We added two more teams. This is the most we've ever had from the Mexican Winter League. We added was Save and one other which I can't think of right now because I'm in the press box trying to help resolve an issue with the many new video boards. But we have. But we have six teams and so we will take Obviously, he can only play four teams at a time. Aramal Ceo UH who won their league championships last year, UH and went to the Caribbean World Series. UH is here all four days and they're always the second game. UH. You know, Oh, we going in Mexico, Ali and uh, and teams like that Navajoa, they're all teams that have been regulars with us. And and you know, I was talking to Francisco Gamas, my partner, and he was saying, they've they've signed some guys that probably won't report till next week in Mexico that are played professional baseball at at the Triple A level. Uh, so they're going to be joining the team. You know, they wanted to give those players a little time off because quite honestly, I mean, it's long minor league season and and so they're going to start a little later than some of the other players. But each Mexican Winter League team has allowed so many imports, okay players not only from the United States, but it could be from Cuba, it could be from Venezuela. Uh, it could be any of that stuff. So uh, it's just it's it's it really is good baseball. Steve and I have talked about this before. It's very competitive baseball. But but we say, uh, it's a party where a baseball game broke out, and that's kind of what goes on.
Speaker 2: Right, No question, when I saw it, that's exactly how I felt. I said, who would have thought that when you when you invited me to come and help you for that one summer, and I was like, what crap, this is amazing. I had to go on the on the concourse just to get the feel of what it was. And when you go on the on the concourse, you're like, can I just stay down here? You know it's not much fun.
Speaker 5: No, it's it's well again. Music never stops except for when the pitcher goes in the stretch and let's go to the ball. Uh And but but what happens is people just hang out and they have a good time with their friends and their relatives and their family and and and they're doing different things. And are they all watching the game. I would say probably not. But there are a lot of You'll see like Ammo Ceo, the non and Harrows. Their colors are orange. You'll see orange jerseys everywhere, same thing with overgone blue jerseys. And you know, that really makes it fun because this is a chance for them to see their team that they grew up with and then they moved to the States or their grandma and grandpa still live in Airmo Ceo, and that makes it special. You're bringing home to them without having to drive two three four hours.
Speaker 2: So you've been in the business from thirty some maybe forty years, I don't know exactly, but these types of things last week thirty five, thirty five. Does this stir the juices again?
Speaker 5: It does? And quite honestly, as a guy who's run the Triple A team for fifteen years, it's this product is much more fun than a Triple A game because something's always going on. You know, people are are dancing and having fun that in a Triple A our hands were tied. We couldn't do a lot of things. And that's that's really why I love this product and we like tomorrow night. I think you know the U of A is going to be out here for the second game. Chip Hale loves the Mexican baseball because he feels it really as good to prepare a players for for bigger crowds and bigger stadiums, and and and insanity. Well not only that, Tommy Lloyd calls me and says, hey, could I come out? Could I throw out the first pitch for the second game? Oh yeah, he loves this game. I mean he he He turned down another charity event in town just so he can come here. And and he's he might bring some players. Uh. He said, He's got a few players to speak Spanish, and I'm going to put them in touch with the Hispanic media and let them do interviews with that. We know the little guard is from Spain, but he said, Vasar speaks Spanish, and so it'll be fun for them because again this is bringing them closer to home.
Speaker 4: Talk a little bit about the media and what is the attention of this event south of the border.
Speaker 5: Ermal Ceo brings and they're here for three weeks, the whole time. The teams in the states, video people, photographers, radio broadcasters, TV broadcasters, pr people. I mean, it's a large contention, probably ten people that are here for over three weeks. And the games that aermal Ceo broadcasts all of their games when they're in Tucson. Those games are broadcast all the way throughout the country of Mexico on PayTV, so people have a chance to watch it and really, you know, look forward to the start of their season just like we would have during the old days of spring training.
Speaker 2: Is uh, Saturday's game, Saturday Nights game affected by the football game.
Speaker 5: Now our crowd and the u of a football fans are not the same fans.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: It might affect a few people, but overall, I would say not, Uh, you know, it's it's it's it's not something that we're concerned about. My wife always says, oh my god, we got this event that we have to go to and this is going on, and this is going on, and this is going on. I don't care. I mean, this is a ton of a million people. Yeah, so there's always things going on. You just do the best you can to get people to come out.
Speaker 2: Right right real quick. Tell us how to get tickets, how to get there, whatever we need to know.
Speaker 5: Mexican Baseball Fiesta dot com. You buy tickets online tomorrow morning at ten o'clock Keino Stadium. We're going to be out here the whole time from there through the start of the game. The first game is at five o'clock. Gates open at four, so that'll be going on. They can call and it's just it's you save the money if you buy it in person. To be honest with you, but our fees compared to a ticket master or something like that, are nominal. We just want to make it easy for people. Our tickets for kids, kids six to sixteen, ten dollars, Military ten dollars, Senior citizens ten dollars, and under six is free. So it's an affordable product. And again, I don't know how many times we can use the word, but it's a fiesta slash party and that's what we love doing.
Speaker 2: So you start at five five thirty. So how long is it a speed game like the major leagues? Do you have clocks? Do you have all that stuff?
Speaker 5: No, no clock, And it's not quite as fast as it is in the Big League nowadays. But usually it's a seventeen game. So we could play games. Were playing two two and a half, you know in there, and then the half hour between games, let the ground screw get the field done and take care and we usually have all kinds of first pitches and announcements and things going on, and then second game cranks up. Now tomorrow the second game, Chip Hal, the U of a baseball coach, wants to play nine innings. And the reason we're doing that he wants to get more pictures in the game. We said fine, and you know, so it works out great.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask one question before we say goodbye. But there's been some news today about Fernando of allen Zuela, speaking of Mexican baseball, maybe.
Speaker 2: The greatest player of all time.
Speaker 4: He's kind of start of stepping away from broadcasting to focus on his health.
Speaker 2: Which really he doesn't. He doesn't look good, and.
Speaker 4: You know it doesn't The pictures have not been recently.
Speaker 5: Think about what's happened, what we've heard in the last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you remember Rose can't bame my Tombo? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you remember the time he came to Tucson?
Speaker 2: Do you remember I remember interviewing him here?
Speaker 5: Well the circumstance, here's a funny one for you. No, and he's he's still very active in the league. I think he actually has part of ourship. One of the teams, Bobby Wick Junior. If you remember Steve you might.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Dave would.
Speaker 5: We used to bring the Pall League teams in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Probably Wick Junior played on this field against the Mexican Winter League team.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Well, so Fernando did he How do you remember his return to Tucson or what? Was it?
Speaker 5: Just very very friendly. People took pictures with him, you know the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I'm just trying to remember this. There was a luncheon. I remember, I don't know if you were there. There was a luncheon he was at, and I can't remember if he was in town for like an Olympic Mexican Olympic team, where a youth team or some some coach something he was involved with as a coach. I want to say, but this was, you know, twenty five years ago. I'm gonna say, but right, yeah, hopefully the news is better, better than what we're reading to me.
Speaker 5: I hope.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Okay, my good luck this weekend.
Speaker 5: No, thanks, hope to see you guys out here. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah, I'll let's take Dave so Us the Mexican dance movers.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah's goeah, let's go. We gotta get out of Oh yeah, awesome, no question, no question. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now. Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from LUT is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 12: Hi, this is formal wild Get Leman huntly with Arizona Hell. Imagine how home gum can change your health, your comfort, and your attacking. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space in your life.
Speaker 12: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms, and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our share room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate. You need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's offender bean or leaky roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen note Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 14: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebels Poker dot com.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the epsays and ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Pavera and with me today is Dave Silver. You like coming here, you know, your third day, right, Yeah, becoming like experienced at this. I don't think I've done this much radio. But get you a job, ever, get your job. I started in radio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, college radio, the first time ever sat in front of a microphone.
Speaker 2: It was fun. Got smart and got out and became a TV guy. Yep, you missed it those days. We did.
Speaker 4: San Diego State, as everybody knows is my Yeah, as nobody knows it was my alma mater. But I mean it was great. Did play by play? Did newscast? We did?
Speaker 2: We did all.
Speaker 4: We had like an AM and FM station. So the AM station was all kind of news and sports talk in sports news, and the FM station was all wild music whenever anybody wanted tourist was Tony Gwinn. Tony Gwynn just got so. Tony gwyn was a freshman when I was a senior, so we had just arrived.
Speaker 2: And he was a fantastic basketball player. Oh yeah, the guard, right, he was a guard. Yeah, and I think he may still have the record for assists career assistantly. Yeah, that would surprise me because he's got that eye. You don't have to have that special quality. Yeah, but to do all that, yeah, assist guy and maybe hit guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's kind of that was like my first taste of broadcasting was was doing those games and doing like kind of daily newscasts and stuff.
Speaker 2: I always asked this question of people who come on or I do stories on? I asked Andy Lopez of this yesterday. So what did you want to do when you grew up? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I kind of knew I wanted to do this when I was about fifteen or so, in that kind of age, like still in high school. Not quite sure how I would do it, but I was annoying my parents. I would do like play by play in the car, you know, driving down the street. My mom used to always remind me about that again. I lived in an area in the San Jose, San Francisco area that was just full of amazing teams and they were all in their HEYDAYMI and the Warriors, Raiders and A's and Giants and forty nine ers were not that good but sort of good.
Speaker 2: Sometimes. Did you play college? Did you play?
Speaker 9: Ye?
Speaker 2: I mean I played, you know you were I was not going to do that. But the colleges too.
Speaker 4: I mean we had Stanford football season tickets and things like that. So I was always kind of around sports, and I kind of figured that would be where I would go eventually somehow.
Speaker 2: And then you find your way to San Diego State and yeah, kind of started there.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Nice, cool, cool cool. Let me get some things out of the way. For a Casino del So, Mobe's seasonal selections, and this is talking about food. Visit Mobe's for a chef's seasonal selection this week. I think it is Apple Cide or barbecue Wings. Of course, those were very very good. And Friday Cosmic Bingo breast cancer awareness. It's wild, it's exciting, it's cosmic bingo, and it's only at Casino del Soul on the first Friday of every month at ten thirty this door was open, I guess at nine pm. The One and Only Lucinda Holiday brings a special brand of madness to bingo, to Bode's uh Pista DJ and the Vines Photo Booth that has a lot of different things. It's crazy, the music is fantastic. It goes for a couple of hours. And I know the Pokeroom is right next door, so we hear all the craziness next door. They dress up, they have a lot of fun. Yeah, Cosmic Bingo, I've probably seen it. I think I've ever played cosmic Bingo. I played Bingo Bingo. Yeah, they have that there, of course. But the Cosmic Bingo is like one of those Jester parties. It's this music, crazy dancing, Yeah, and bingo. And when is that Friday night? First, first Fridays. I think they have other Friday nights, but this is you know, crazy Friday Bingo. Yeah, So if you have a chance to go out there and enjoy the time out there. Okay, we got about about nine minutes I think maybe or so eight minutes ahead of Okay, anybody want to call, please do five to two four one six seventy four forty let us know how we're doing. Your thoughts on this weekend's game. The spread is six ish six six and a half. Maybe I like that number. I like that number. That might be a pick of mine. I don't know. I'd have to see. I'm not sold, though. Do you pick Arizona games on this No, Well you can if you want. I've done it once this year. I got beat. I think I rarely do. It might have been maybe any of you. I can't remember, but I rarely do because not because of whatever, but it's just I just don't because I don't feel competent in either way. But I don't know if you remember when I did it for the newspaper. I did it every game, and I was I was pretty good at that because I knew the team. You know, when you don't really know the team like I don't now, but I knew the team and how they would play against certain teams you knew. I kind of gave a lot of nice tips, and people said they made a lot of money because you could kind of tell when they go to U C.
Speaker 9: L A.
Speaker 2: But you know this and people because you witnessed it. I witnessed this for a long time. Anytime you tell Arizona you can't, they do. Anytime you say it's going to be easy, they don't. Am I joking?
Speaker 4: No, It's been that way forever.
Speaker 2: Forever, Yeah, forever. And maybe it's the same with other schools that other places. But no question, because we see it first out of here, it happens here. Yeah, explain ninety seven basketball.
Speaker 4: I know that's always been like, you can't believe that happened that year after they had so many amazing years in and around that period, Right they could have won it?
Speaker 2: And then explained ninety eight. Yeah, I don't know. I was watching it. I couldn't believe it. The opposite, right, Utah, I got Utah, he just nobody and then kicked the crap out of them by twenty four. I mean, anything you tell them you can't, they do. You can't, they will they don't.
Speaker 4: I'm wondering if that's you know, we're so close to it and I have been watching it for so long, but you wonder about other cities and other teams if yeah, yeah, a feeling like, oh, you know the same thing happens at Missouri.
Speaker 2: Oh yay, thing happens. I'm sure it does places well the funny. Are you a sportsman? Still?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who's your favorite team in what's sport? Give me a sport? Football? NFL forty nine ers. Do you do they break your heart? Still?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do so you have that much involved? I don't know. You know, you're one hundred years old. Day, let's get out exactly.
Speaker 4: I know, well, I mean I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know because I was always had to be so you know, down the middle, I'm biased. I never really had like a team. That's me kind of thing, you know. I just like I'd like great games and great messhaps that's me.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I don't know how a game is gonna go, Like like the game the other day, the Alabama Georgia game, I could care.
Speaker 2: Less, but it's fantastic, fantastic watch that game. We got a call with let's go to call. You're on the air and I on the ball.
Speaker 15: Gentlemen, good show.
Speaker 2: Hey man, I just wanted a team money.
Speaker 15: I just wanted to say that Utah game was kind of up in the air game like win or lose.
Speaker 3: It really didn't.
Speaker 15: Yeah, right, this is the game that matters, and that if you want to know who you are and where you are this is it And that line is kind of disconcerting. Not not that I'm a gambler, because I'm not, but for whatever reason, Vegas knows things.
Speaker 3: And I think the Cats are going to have to win and win.
Speaker 9: Convincingly to get the fan base believing, ready to go, yeah, believing.
Speaker 15: And it the defense is gonna have to show up again. If it's gonna be just this sporadic thing, man, we're gonna be in for a long year.
Speaker 2: But if they can put together.
Speaker 15: Just a solid game twenty seven, twenty seven, thirteen, something like that, I think.
Speaker 3: Uh, Tucson, Tucson be ready to rock.
Speaker 15: And I think we've got something to go sometime somewhere to go, so too.
Speaker 2: If it's gonna so t money. I can't remember you called in Friday, maybe a last minute. Did you say what would happen on Saturday? Last Saturday?
Speaker 15: No?
Speaker 12: I didn't.
Speaker 15: I was expecting us to get blown out, but uh, you know, hey, uh.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 15: If they can put together a nice game and prove like, hey, we're here, like we're here for this, right and we're going to be doing this and enforce their will, that's what I want to see I want to see them.
Speaker 3: Enforce their will.
Speaker 15: But if they win forty five, forty two, or you know something stupid thirty seven, thirty four, I'm gonna be uh only be kind of scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the jury is still out. If it's a forty five to forty one game or something like that, right, especially especially go ahead.
Speaker 15: Do you know anything about this new uh offensive play caller?
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't. But yeah, but they took they took to him. Well, I mean it worked. I imagined had it not worked, but it worked, which is good. They're all on the same page. We'll see what happens. Maybe they'll open it up even more. Yeah.
Speaker 15: No, I mean this guy looked like he was watching some Kyle Shanahan tape or something. Uh, but yeah, it's uh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm I'm very excited.
Speaker 15: I'm more excited for this game than I was the Utah game.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you that all.
Speaker 2: I just hold on real quick, A team money. We said that Jay and I that the season really doesn't start till now. You thought maybe they'd go two and two, lose the two obvious ones, win the two obvious ones, and the rest could be very winnable. Don't you feel that way? Now they have to win the next No, I totally do.
Speaker 15: And I think Texas Tech is a good mirror for you of a as far as the program and and and how things shake out for them and what their fan base expects, especially in some of their media. But I think that the Cats have a better just a better team. They got, They got more dudes, and they should be able to take care of business here at home.
Speaker 3: And Tucson is going to show up.
Speaker 15: But if they don't, then we're gonna have some big problems.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: No, are interesting too, just to look at some of these big twelve scorers and Big twelve teams, they're putting up points. You know, you mentioned having like a you know, a forty two to thirty seven final. I think we're gonna see some games like that in the conference, especially on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean some of the teams have been scoring a lot, some have not been, like Houston has not been very good, But everybody else seems to kind of be in that thirty five to forty point range for the victory team Victoria's team.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I will say this, washing I think Washington State blew these guys out, pull them in. So that's kind of what I'm'm basing a lot of it off of. But yeah, I think that's that's a good comparison.
Speaker 2: And see what the cats can do well. Tea money for a guy who doesn't Gammel. We like your name, Thanks man, Thanks man, Thanks to money. We've got to go, right, I guess Henry. Henry's in charge. Henry's in charge is giving the flash line. Gotta go. Thanks a bunch, Henry, Thanks Dave. Maybe we'll see you next week. Yep, okay, great, we'll talk to you guys tomorrow.