Speaker 1: Where is your Channa nine first one to one forecast. Not that got some several days in a row. They're pretty decent today, fouve free, low humidity, sunny sky seventy six clear overnight as well, fifty eighth for the low eighty two the high end of sunny skies Tomorrow mostly clear overnight with the low of sixty and another sunny day come Thursday with a high of eighty eight sixty one degrees. Right now, it's time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UC Traffic Center. From massage therapy, distress relief, and cancer surveillance. The UC Cancer Center offers the region's largest supportive services program for cancer patients and survivors, called five one three five eighty five. Uc C Seed in Bend seventy four continues to struggle left Toulinges blocked off with an accident. Before you got the seventy five, you're backed up to North Bend for over a half hour delay. South Bend seventy five slows through. Lachlan and Chuck Ingram on fifty five kr z the talk station.
Speaker 1: It is seven twenty nine fifty five karse de talk station and a very happy Tuesday to you. Insid's good. The bright Bart News over at the top of their news One hour from now, Daniel, David, Steve Die we get the latest on Russia in the meantime. Welcome Sarah Wolf to the fifty five Kosse Morning Show. She is one of the people behind the signature campaign here in Hamilton County to end the property tax is the ballot initiue of going around to put on the Ohio Constitution, uh well, an end of the property tax. Welcome to the program, Sarah. Good to have you on today.
Speaker 3: Good morning, All right, now, getting ready?
Speaker 1: I know, you know the thing. I love the idea, you know, when you say, I'm not gonna have to pay that outrageous tax bill that I face every year my wife and I got to give her credit to because she's certainly a breadwinner for the family, even more so than I am. But it just, I mean, it's gone up dramatically over the years, and I'm I'm I wish I didn't have to pay it. And it sounds like a fun proposition. I sign up, you know, a petition and we get to vote to end our property taxes. I mean, who wouldn't really be behind that? But I guess I'm just kind of wondering on a more complicated level. Well, then, what I mean it's a get your popcorn out and put your feed up moment for our elected officials. How they're actually going to fund things since everything seems to be funded based upon property taxes.
Speaker 4: Well, this didn't come out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: As you know, we've been trying to get the state to reform our property tax system for over a year now and they've just kicked the can down the road, and this is what has finally gotten their attention. So we've got to get it on the ballot just for that they're finally paying attention. We've got to get rid of this atrocious assessment system. It's arbitrary, it's capricious, and there's no validation of the assessment numbers by the county. Nobody knows what a house is going to sell for until it sells. And I always say, well, imagine if the IRS could tax the way property taxes are. Imagine, Well, imagine if the IRS could say you're making forty thousand a year, we think your job is worth one hundred and fifty thousand a year. You won't make one hundred and fifty thousand a year. But that's what we're going to tax you on. Well, that's what the property tax system is, and we just cannot be taxed like this anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, that would certainly serve as a foundation for someone going in asking for a raise. Wait a minute, I'm being underpaid. But I mean the sad reality of this. You know, if you're working and you've got income and your property tax goes up thirty percent, you may get hit for I don't know, let's randomly pick a figure and extra thousand dollars. You might be able to swallow that. But the sad thing, and the sad reality is there are many seniors out there who have been in their homes for decades. They've paid them off, and they don't have there are any fixed income, some living only on Social Security, and they can barely afford groceries and the day to day expenses of just living generally, they can't afford that kind of property tax increase.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. I've got eighty five year olds talking about going back to work.
Speaker 4: I have a senior who sold her furniture to pay her tax.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 4: Have seniors calling me all the time.
Speaker 3: It breaks my heart they're worried about how long they're going to live and can they afford it, And of course they can't sell because anything that they'd buy would be more than what they're already paying, so we can't.
Speaker 4: That's no longer taxing.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is a mafia shakedown.
Speaker 4: At tax should be a.
Speaker 3: Little annoyance, it shouldn't be this life changing punch to the gut. And that's what's happening, especially to our seniors and our working class people. Because see, it wasn't just that property taxes went up the twenty twenty three assessment. We expected property taxes were going to go up, but we also expected everybody to get about the same across the board, and that is not what happened.
Speaker 4: We've got about a third of homeowners.
Speaker 3: In Hamilton County anyway, that live mostly in the working class and lower income neighborhoods, who got fifty to four hundred percent increases, while another two yes, while another well, now I have to take that back.
Speaker 4: I found two people that got five hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: And then we we've got another two thirds that got little to nothing. And that includes a lot of our elected officials, and they didn't think we'd look into it.
Speaker 4: But we have. So you've got you've got.
Speaker 3: A third of the homeowners just absolutely in a state of shock and bewilderment, while the other two thirds are going they don't know what the big deal is. We can't be tax like this anymore. And there's like I said before, there's no validation. Well, and my husband pointed out, how did what your house is worth ever get correlated to what the government needs to operate?
Speaker 4: Anyway? There's no correlation.
Speaker 3: I mean, once upon a time, if you lived in a village or something, the townspeople will actually the landowners. The landowners would get together and decide they needed a school or a bridge or a sheriff, and they would come up with how much money they could raise and what they wanted to give to do that. And if you didn't want to participate, you didn't have a long arm.
Speaker 4: Of the law forcing you to, which is what we have now. There's no correlation.
Speaker 1: Now, if we get rid of property tax, you wouldn't County commissioners then maybe to raise sales tax in order to provide for let's say, the parks and recreations and things of that nature. Because I don't see philanthropists stepping up to the plate to cover the maintenance of a park, for example.
Speaker 3: Well, what we really want is a process where everybody's got skin in the game. So if that means, like say, I don't know, property taxes was a one time sales tax, and then you took a little percentage from income tax and a little percentage from sales tax. That way, everybody's got skin in the game. What happens now is the counties already can raise taxes for levees anyway they can levy.
Speaker 1: Or for stadiums or for stadiums, all right, right, but the.
Speaker 4: Reason they don't, well this should make every homeowner mad.
Speaker 3: The reason that they don't they keep levying property tax is that there's way more wage earners than there are property owners. So right, so they are happy to vote for.
Speaker 4: A levee that's not going to come out of their paycheck.
Speaker 3: But we just saw last fall they had an affordable housing and maybe that was the city. They had an affordable housing levee that was going to come out of income tax and it failed because you know, we can you can't take it out of my paycheck. So we just want a system where everybody's a bigger you know, a larger pool of tax payers is paying a smaller amount, and then everybody's got skin in the game. Property taxes is just not that and we were out as hell and we're not taking.
Speaker 1: It anymore, right Sarah, hold on, we'll bring you back. We'll talk about where the where we can sign up for this and maybe some other elements of end the property tax Amendment. It's seven thirty five right now. If you have k city toxation. Speaking of properties, UH insulation, you want to save money, a guaranteed return on investment is as USA's Premium phone and the exterior walls of your home. Under insulated homes add to the foam to that old low R value fiberglass that your builder put in there, or maybe didn't even put in properly because you might have gaps and things that nature which ruined the insulation and capabilities. Premium foam covers every square into the interior space of that perhaps no insulated walls. You can call USA Insulation. They will inspect your home for free to determine whether you're under or not insulated. Take them up on the opportunity to do that. They'll give you a free quote and it's only ninety nine dollars a month with no interest. Ninety nine dollars a month interest free. You probably will save more than that on your energy bills as long as youre running a HVAC system. It's a guaranteed savings. Plus the comfort will be noticeably better noticeable the day one. You'll be quieter in your home. On top of it, Plus, USA's foam has the added benefit of keeping little things from crawling into your home like mice, for example. So take them up on all the reasons and the advantages of having USA's premium foam in the xterior walls by giving them a call five one three three eight one three six two six three eight one foam check them out online at USA Insulation dot net.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station here.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there're been other balloties very much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very much a shot across the bow. We've just got them to act and I you know, they seem to be a little bit nervous up there because that nobody wants to preside over this, right what happened.
Speaker 1: But if they came up with a legitimate you know, palatable legislative solution. I'm just wondering, absolutely, would the signature drive in. Would you stop collecting signatures and just end the process, or would this thing just I mean, since it has legs now and it's very appealing to a lot of people, and I would think Governor to Wine coming out against it would probably only help your efforts out.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 3: It does, And I really appreciate you having having me on because it seems like when we're out there getting signatures, everybody who's heard of it, they are falling all over themselves to sign. Yeah, and then you've got people that haven't and they need to just hear a little bit about the background. You know that we didn't go right to this. It's been a long process to get here, and then they'll sign. We've got even people that will sign to get it on the ballot. They're unclear if they're actually vote for it, but they think, yes, this is a good shot across the bow, light the fire under the Columbus's feet.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: This is pretty much God's battle, and I'm just along for the ride. I get it, Sarah, you know, I don't know what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: I don't either, and to me, that's one of the most intriguing elements about it. I almost wanted to pass just to see what they do. I'm just thinking it's gonna be like chaos and Columbus, you know, Oh my god, we're all gonna die. So who knows. But then again, I'm a property owner. So uh, Sarah Wolf, Now, what do my listeners need to do to sign on board? If to the extent that they're interested in signing the petition to get it on the ballot, where do they go?
Speaker 4: What do they do?
Speaker 1: Where are you gonna be that kind of thing?
Speaker 3: Well, the best thing to do is be a circulator, so you can email stop Property Taxes at gmail dot com and get your own, uh, your own petition to circulate. We've got thousands across the county. Now keep in mind we do the best thing to do to find out where to sign is, at least locally, is to go to our Facebook proof that's still going it's Hamilton County, Ohio homeowners. I'm having a little trouble getting people to post where they're gonna be. But keep in mind, we're volunteers. We don't have a headquarters. We don't have regular meetings. We don't have any meetings yet, so just ask around because especially on the West Side, there's probably one hundred and fifty petitions out there. I am going to do sort of a pickup weekends. I think that's the weekend of the twenty first and twenty second, where we'll have some people, you know, anybody who didn't get to sign and then if we have to go get the signatures of people that can't get out, you know, our elderly, then I'm going to get some people to drive around and get those signatures as well. You can look up Reform Property Taxes dot com I'm sorry, Reform property tax singular dot com or just google citizens for property tax form in Ohio and you'll find us. And this is just all, you know, with our mandate to love thy neighbor, we don't have Usually you have a million dollars, millions of dollars behind a push like this to get an amendment, but always got his God's mandate.
Speaker 1: Grassroots, Hey, hey, it can happen.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Look at the petition to UH with regard to Hyde Park and the Save Hyde Park Square petition that was a grassroots effort. It cropped up out of nowhere because our government officials were not listening to the heart and to the citizens want. And uh, you know this is ripe for outrage. These property taxes have gone up way too much. And who knew that we're going to have this massive real estate value increase. I mean, COVID nineteen had a ripple effect that people are going to be studying for decades and decades. You know, my property went up in value as well, because demand is still out there.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing we asked them to do is just boid that assessment counties are already making a bat out seven percent a year through new construction and new sales even without an assessment. That year should never have been used as an assessment year. It was the post code economy. The Feds were pumping money into the assistance, so it wasn't even that our houses were worth where our money was worthless. And then he had all these people fleeing the coasts from California and New York. They come to Ohio, they see a house for two hundred thousand dollars, Well, that's nothing to them, And suddenly that house is five hundred thousand dollars and then the grandma next door with the formica countertops her house is being compared to that. They could have just just calmed everybody down if they had had avoided that assessment.
Speaker 4: We begged them to, We.
Speaker 3: Begged the governor to do it by executive action, and nobody would do it, and they would have worked doing well.
Speaker 1: I just think they get what they asked for, or don't ask for. That's this petition.
Speaker 3: Helca Miranda reported a twenty million dollars in excess, and did she return that's the taxpayer notes out a vote. She gave it to the school She gave it to schools without a vote.
Speaker 1: And that's the kind of adding insult to injury thing that really gets up people's eyre and gets them to sign the petition.
Speaker 3: So it does, Oh boy does it ever? People are falling all over themselves. I went to Evanston and just got mobbed. You know, I go to the West Side, I get mobbed.
Speaker 1: That's great, Sarah Wolf, she's behind the signature gathering campaign and the property tax here in Ohio. It will be a constitutional amendment and means the legislative brands can't touch it once it's there. So think about it and get on the signature campaign. Help them spread the signature, spread around the petitions, and or at least just sign one. Sarah, it's been a real pleasure having you on the program. I appreciate your efforts.
Speaker 4: Talk to you again. I really appreciate it too.
Speaker 1: Take care of a great week seven forty eight. If you have k CD talk station. I just love rubbing our elected officials the wrong way in that regard. Oh well, affordable medical imaging save money. You got your property tax increase. You don't want to spend five thousand dollars for a CT scan because it's all going to the property taxes. How about spending four hundred and fifty bucks at affordable imaging services to the exact same CT scan on almost identical equipment to hospitals use six hundred dollars if you need a contrast for a CT scan, and that includes a board certified radiologist report. I've had several CT scans done at affordable imaging services. My doctors never have any question or fault or concern about them. They're exactly like the hospital does. But I don't pay as much MRI thirty five hundred bucks at the hospital plus minus whatever. Hey, it's only four hundred and ninety five bucks without an enhancement. Or contrast, it's a little bit more than one hundred and fifty bucks more if you have a contrast. I've had an MRI at Affordable Imaging Services Echo Cardigram thirty five hundred bucks at a hospital, five hundred at Affordable Imaging without an enhancement, eight hundred with So you see the amazing difference here in massive savings. My friend chef will send me an email now with his smiley face because he saved thirty one hundred dollars himself. Check them out online Affordable Medimaging dot com. Low overhead, which is one of the reasons they keep the price low. But again, same kind of equipment, with professionals operate medical professionals operating it. Exercise your choice. Give him a call scheduled appointment at five one three seven five three eight thousand five one three seven five three eight thousand fifty five KRC Bill Cunningham Mirror you