Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Psychic Teachers. I'm your host Deb Bowen and I'm Samantha Fay, and we're so excited that you are with us as we talk more about spooky stuff. And I can actually talk about this one fairly, Okay, Samantha.
Speaker 2: I hope.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that we realized that we'd never actually done was give you a list of haunted hotels. We've done some episodes on specific places, but we realized that it would be nice if you kind of had this master list of some of the most haunted hotels in the country.
Speaker 2: So kind of like remember that show we did, Paranormal Road Trip. Yeah, it was so fun about just some fun places you can visit along America. But this one is just some hotels you can put on your radar as you're traveling on the Paranormal road Trip.
Speaker 1: Well you can, and I'm kind of all over the country. I tried to get various areas in the country, and of course some places that are particularly near and dear to our hearts as well. So come with us here as we go on a road trip to some of the most elegant places and some of the most haunted places in the country, and I want to start at the Grove Park Inn in Actuville, North Carolina, for a couple of reasons. One, as you all surely know from listening to any news, you know how devastated the western part of North Carolina was my Hurricane Helene. And I have not heard any bad things about the Grove Park in I do know that they're planning to reopen the Biltmore House before Christmas. So, and I've spent some time at the Grove Park and I know you have too, Samantha's that not.
Speaker 2: I've been there several times. It's my favorite hotel. You can have dinner overlooking the mountains. They have a underground spat. They have these little like walking trails, and if you go on one of the walking trails, they have these hidden gems like they're like the last time I was there, there was a little bar, just a stone cottage. They turned into a little bar on this walking trail. It's like, how lovely, let's go for a hike and have some wine.
Speaker 1: I think that's a great plan. I I love the lobby. You could stand inside the fireplace in the lobby. I had drinks and or derbs in the lobby, and the year that my Grief book came out, a friend of mine was the head waiter in the fanciest of the restaurants there, and he bought the wine for my party of folks that were there for dinner that night. It was one of the most elegant meals I've ever had. It was absolutely a lovely, lovely experience to eat in that restaurant as well. And in the fall, right before Christmas, they do a ginger red house exhibit. It is just breathtaking, it really is.
Speaker 2: You can always see the Grove Park Gingerbread House. They keep that on exhibit. And if you stay in the hotel, you go into the elevator, which is literally built into the stone hearth of the fireplace that Dev's talking about. It's like behind there, and there's an elevator operator. So you go in there and there's this lovely man and he says what floor, and he winds the door closed and you go up. So it really is like stepping back in time.
Speaker 1: It really is. But we digress. This is not what we came to talk about. Here's what we came to talk about. This inn opened in nineteen thirteen. It was built by a man whose name is was Edwin Wiley Grove who made his fortune selling Groves Faceless Chill tonic, which was a tonic for malaria, and it sold really well in the same because it contained quinine, which is one of the things that helps with malaria, and certainly malaria was rampant in the South at this time. This nineteen thirteen era was what was known as the age of the robber Barons. These were extraordinarily wealthy people who spent lavish and huge sums of money building amazing structures and edifices, one of which was the Grove Park in Grove came to Ashville on his doctor's advice. He was told that being in Ashvill and in the mountain air would be really good for his health, and of course he began to see that there was a big tourist business in the area. So he and his friend and son in law, whose name was Thomas Seeley, soon began construction on the Grove Park Inn. It has remained in continuous operations since then and many famous people, including Samantha Fay, have stayed there. But in addition to that, George Grit, Harry Houdini, Fitzgerald and President Obama to name a few, and because of the era in which this inn was built, folks didn't just come and stay overnight back in those days. They came for extended stays like the summer, and according to legend, one of those guests from a long time ago still walks the halls for one hundred years. Many guests say that they have seen the Pink Lady of Grove Park Inn. Some believe her to be the ghost of a young woman who fell for her death from a balcony on the fifth floor in the nineteen twenties. She's usually seen in the form of kind of a pink mist or sometimes as a full fledged apparition wearing a pink ball gown. No one seems to know who she is or her name. No one is sure why she was at the inn in the first place. One legend says that she was there for a clandestine rendezvous with her married lover, and that she leapt from the balcony when he told her the affair was over. Another legend says that she was a debutante and fell accidentally. It's said that she really enjoys the company of children over that of adults, and children often report seeing her. If they're taken ill, she comes and comforts them or place with them in the hallway. Folks who work at the end say she is responsible for electrical devices such as lights and air conditioning turning off and on by itself. She arranges objects differently in rooms and is said to tickle the feet of sleeping guests at really a little disconcerting. She haunts the halls and rooms of the entire hotel, but her favorite room is five point forty five. Legend says it was from this room's balcony that she met her demise. Now, Samantha, would you like to go back to the Growth Park Inn and stay in room four forty.
Speaker 2: Well, I stayed in the room right across from five forty five, and there's a little plaque that says, you know, this is the Pink Lady's room, right And I walked past that room every day, like on my way to the elevator, and I did not feel her. But I was sitting in you know that outdoor terrace where you can sit and look up at the hotel.
Speaker 1: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was having dinner there one night and I just looked up at that fifth floor and I took a photo and I do have an orb. I'm gonna have to find that photo and post it on Facebook. Ooh doo ooh, it's right over that window. But I'll tell you I never felt it does feel haunted in there, but I never felt anything negative.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think anybody's ever reported anything negative. Just that she's there, what she's doing, Tick on your feet.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful place to haunt.
Speaker 1: It sure is. It's lovely. Let's go to Arkansas. Let's go to the eighteen eighty six Crescent Hotel and Spa in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Now, I went and did a lot of research on photographs and so forth of this hotel, and it too is lovely. It has been a lot of different things over the years. It's been a women's college, and at some point it was an experimental hospital run by a Charlatan named Norman Baker who claimed to have a cure for cancer. Many who have experienced ghosts here believe that those ghosts are spirits of people who died in his care. Ghost tours are available for the brave of hearts. You can visit the Hotel Morgue, where people have reported being poked by unseen hands, feeling cold spots, and seeing dark figures. On the fourth floor, you can visit the hotel's archives and if you're brave enough, request room two eighteen, known as Michael's Room, which is reportedly the most haunted room in the hotel.
Speaker 2: I read that he's a stonemason who oh All to his death during the construction, and so people have reported like a cold breeze, or hearing footsteps, or seeing a see through ghostly figure of a man in work clothes.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting? I know you can go in January when the hotel hosts the Eureka Springs Paranormal Weekend, which features over night ghost hunts, seminars, and access to most of the properties haunted spaces. Apparently many places on this ground are haunted, probably as a result of that Charlottan hospital that was there.
Speaker 2: Could it also be because Arkansas is so famous for its courts. I wonder if that amplifies paranormal things, you know, were I would think Limestone doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would think it would. And of course it'snatural springs. There many of natural springs all over Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we're going to go to New Mexico. But let's take a quick break first and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: This holiday season, down to Earth is offering fifteen percent off to the coupon code fifteen off Holidays. Down to Earth was established in nineteen ninety two and has curated the most lovely and exquisite collection of aromas to wear or diffuse sprays, lotions, candles and incense. The pain relief products dragon Balm, Alleviate and Tension Tonic are perfect for the hard to buy for friends and family with aches and pains. If you're shopping for a loved one and can't decide, down to Earth offers gift certificates. Visit down to earthoils dot com and find your obsession. And again, that coupon code is fifteen off holidays down to Earthoils dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. So let's head from Arkansas over to Lafonda on the Plaza in Santa Fe, New Mexico. This stunning hotel is the height of Southwest US luxury. Deb and Joel went there, but you guys didn't stay there.
Speaker 1: Right now, I'm going to talk about where we did stay instead in a minute.
Speaker 2: Okay, many buildings are there including a courthouse and other inns that have been on the property since the sixteen hundreds. The present inn was built in nineteen twenty two. John P. Slough, a former New Mexico Chief Justice, was shot and killed in the lobby in eighteen sixty seven and is said to walk the halls at night. Guests report hearing his footsteps. Another ghost is a bride who was murdered on her wedding night in the bridal suite. Then, of course there's the businessman who jumped into the hotel well after gambling a way all his money. That's a lot of tragedy in one hotel.
Speaker 1: Well, it really is, and it's absolutely beautiful. The grounds are just lovely and there are lots of different buildings as you mentioned on the grounds, but yeah, there was a lot of stuff that happened there. But down the road, not very far from Lafonda is Lapasada, and Joel and I did stay there while we were in Santa Fe for a few days a few years ago, and it is just absolutely breathtaking. It too, is absolutely lovely in that Adobe architecture that is just so prevalent there in that beautiful stone is just gorgeous. But one aspect of this story about Lapasada is that it's a fairly news story. In nineteen seventy nine, a janitor reported seeing a woman walking the halls dressed in a black Victorian, her hair pulled back tightly in a bond, and soon after he saw her, other staff members started to see her. It is believed that she is Julia Stobb, wife of Abraham Stobb, who built the original three story mansion that still sits on the property. Julia died in eighteen ninety six at the age of fifty two. It is said that she loved gardening, and that the fragrance of roses sometimes accompanies her appearance. Others report swaying chandeliers and moving items in the hotel. A bartender claims that all the glasses on a particular shelf flew off and crashed to the floor. She might have been one of those folks who didn't think alcohol was a good idea. The most haunted room is room two fifty six. Also, and I don't know why, this is called Sweet one hundred, which is where Julia spent most of her time when she was alive.
Speaker 2: They did a whole special on this on Unsolved mysteries, the older ones with Robert Stock Oh okay, I remember correctly. She had lost at least two children, oh dear, and I think when the second one transitioned, she never left that room again. She kind of just, you know, lost her mind and broke her heart and she was kind of stuck like a ghost for the last several years of her life. It makes you wonder if someone's mindset at the time of their death can really affect if they become a ghost or not.
Speaker 1: I think that's probably true. Now I have to tell you, like I said, it was absolutely beautiful, and Joel and I were housed in a much more modern section of the hotel and never actually saw this original house, or if we did, we didn't pay a lot of attention because when we were there, it was in June, and it was during Joel's midlife crisis period time in that hot transam car and it was blazing my research.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, hold on, Jewel had a transam.
Speaker 1: You don't know that story.
Speaker 2: I do not know that story.
Speaker 1: I can't wake sure that it was. He didn't have it very long, but he did have a trans aam and we drove from Denver to Santa Fe in that trans am.
Speaker 2: Actually color was it? Please tell me it wasn't red?
Speaker 1: Oh no, it was black. Okay, it was black. A whole other story, whole other story. But my research about Lapisada indicated that only this old building, not the modern buildings, are haunted there. I have to come back to the story about the well, because there is the Red Lion in in Apesbury is a lovely place, really good food. I had lunch in the restaurant there, and while I was sitting in the restaurant, I noticed that in the middle of the floor in the restaurant was a well, and it was covered over with a piece of glass or plexiglass. And it was such a beautiful building. The restaurant was old, dark wood and very quaint, and the building itself was that whitewashed stone, and the thatched roof held down with the ropes and the stones. You know. But the restaurant is famous on this property for the ghost of a woman who was murdered by her jealous husband and he threw her down the well. The well is still there, The woman's body is still in the well down there. I'm sure by now it's not any right, and it is covered by glass, and it's right there, just in the middle of the main dining room, and they built the restaurant around it.
Speaker 2: I wonder why they never pulled her up and gave her a proper burial.
Speaker 1: I don't know the answer to any of that.
Speaker 2: Did you feel anything?
Speaker 1: Only creepy? It was creepy. The food was good, but it was creepy.
Speaker 2: That would be so weird to be like eating a burger, know that there's a murdered woman's body down on the well in the center of the restaurant.
Speaker 1: It was pretty creepy. But there we were creepy. O. They just bomed with things, you know. But take us to the Red Lion and in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, which is different.
Speaker 2: Stockbridge, Massachusetts is the place I absolutely love. Norman Walkwell lived there. It's just a beautiful, beautiful town to tour. The Red Lion in in this beautiful historic town traces its history back to the seventeen hundreds, where it was a gathering place for revolution is protesting the colony's treatment by the British Parliament and planning boycotts of British goods. Five US presidents have been guessed here, along with many unknown travelers. A young girl is said to wander at the fourth floor carrying flowers. A man in a top hat walks those same walls. Room three oh one is famously haunted. Guests have reported their bedsheets were tugged and their toes pulled during the night. What is with the feet fetish coast?
Speaker 1: I don't know that they're everywhere.
Speaker 2: They're everywhere. Others say they have heard voices and feel cold spots. I think Stockbridge should be on everyone's list. It's got one of the best reenactment of colonial villages nearby. It's there's beautiful hiking trails and if you can stop in at a haunted inn. In addition, why not just keep your feet covered under the sheets.
Speaker 1: And remember that this is also the home of the restaurant that was owned by Alice, who was a friend of Olive Guthrie's made famous in the song Alice's Restaurant.
Speaker 2: Oh cool?
Speaker 1: You mean you can't recite every single word of that storng?
Speaker 2: No, I cannot know.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll move on.
Speaker 2: I'm not the music historian like you are.
Speaker 1: Tell us about the Jackal Island Club.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you go over to Georgia, you can visit the Jeckal Island Club Resort and Juckal Island. What is it about these Gilded age robber baron Erra hotels? They are everywhere. This luxury hotel sits on its own private island and caters even now to the very rich. Much perormal activity has been reported over the years.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: Visitors sometimes see a bell hop on the second floor that isn't there, or you might see cigar smoke wafting through the hallways early in the morning. It's rumored that this smoke comes from JP Morgan, who was a member of this club. Unseen people sip coffee from guest cups and read their newspapers when they leave their rooms. But that's where I think we should draw the line, because I know you, for Shore dev You're not going to share your coffee with anyone. Not happening, not even if it is JP Morgan.
Speaker 1: JP Morgan buy his own cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: That's right here or in the afterlife exactly.
Speaker 1: So let's go from Georgia to Boston. Oh and I loved this. This was fun. I did not know anything about all of this. The oldest can tenuously operating hotel in the US since eighteen fifty five is the what is now called the Omni Parker House was just the Parker House when it opened. It's close to Boston Commons. Its original owner, Harvey Parker, has been seen roaming the halls, and famous orbs float along the tenth floor hallway. Guest here whispers and see shadows. Notably, Charles Dickens resided in a third floor room for five months, and they say they often smell cigar smoke in this room. And I assume that it is from this hotel that we got the famous Parker House ropes.
Speaker 2: Now, I would say New Orleans has to be the most haunted city, but Boston has to be a close second.
Speaker 1: Oh you know it. Yeah, absolutely. Ooh. I can't talk about New Orleans, but we'll get there.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's go to Mount Washington. The Mount Washington Resort was built in nineteen o two by railroad tycoon Joseph Stickney. It's an elegant hotel in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It's considered one of the most haunted hotels in all of New England. Called the Princess by hotel staff, Stickney's wife, Carolyn Foster, Stickney remarried a French royal after her husband died. Guests say they see her wandering the halls dressed in Victorian clothing. If you stay some night in what had been her third floor suite, you may see her at the end of your bed brushing her hair. Okay, that's fine. You can sit at the end of my bed and brush your hair. Just don't touch my.
Speaker 1: Feet exactly, you know. Hello, I mean I'm saying a ghost at the end of my bed is not a bad thing. I mean, I certainly saw my father there, but I don't want you touch in me. You knew, all right? Take us to New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you go over to New Orleans, you'll see a lot of ghosts. Who knows how many haunted hotels there are New Orleans, But let's tell you about one of the most famous in the French quarter. Of course, in the late eighteen hundreds, a toddler named Maurice Bager died on the property of a high Fever and he is often seen today on the fourteenth floor, which really dead. Wouldn't that be the thirteenth floor. Don't all these hotels skip the thirteenth floor?
Speaker 1: Well? Who knows what they do. Let's tell everybody the name of the hotel is the Monte Leone. Am I saying it correctly?
Speaker 2: Yes, I believe so. Hotels Leone and New Orleans. People also say that the former employee, William red Wildemere, continues to hang around, arguing with the ghost of a chef and a server about whether or not to keep the hotel open. I'd like to witness that a couple of goo in an argument.
Speaker 1: It'd be interesting to listen to that conversation, wouldn't it. Yeah, And back to Massachusetts and of course Salem. The Hawthorne Hotel is of course a haunted place, although those who study the history of the witch trials in this area know the real stories. Situated across from Salem Common, this hotel has its share of ghostly legends, furniture moves, unexplained noises, strange smells, apparitions, a baby cries on the third flour, and of course, the ghost of Bridget Bishop, the first woman executed in the trials, is said to wander the halls. Salem hosts thousands of visitors, particularly in October every year, and the hotel, of course, is named after literary Titan Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Speaker 2: I have an unghostly story to share about him that our fellow writers will appreciate. He was married to the love of his life, and he was working and trying to write his books, you know, at night after work, and could not get up the confidence to do it, just didn't have time to keep writing. And he was just like, forget it. I'm just going to, you know, give up. So we would never have the House of Seven Gables if it weren't for his wife, who had quietly been saving the household money that he gave her each week. She would save a little penny here, a little penny there for a year or two, and ended up saving up enough money for him to quit his job for a whole year so he could just focus on finishing that book.
Speaker 1: Oh how lovely, What.
Speaker 2: A beautiful gift to give to your partner. And then, of course, you know, he went on to write all the literary classics we all had to read in high school. Absolutely, all right, let's travel over to New York City, but we're going to take our last break. We'll be right back. I am so excited that my new book, Heavenly Alliance is out and getting really good buzz from you guys. And thanks to you and all your comments and emails, my editors listened and I was able to record my book and my voice, which as you know, I wasn't able to do with the Awake Dreamer. I can't wait to share it with you. The audio version comes out November five, and then on November sixth, I'm teaching my Crystals one oh one class at seven pm Eastern. You'll learn how to cleanse, charge, and work with crystals for your intuition, manifesting goals, and connecting with your team of helpers. We'll also talk about where to place crystals in your home, how to create crystal grids, and so much more. When you register for the class, you'll receive my ebook I'm working with crystals, plus a guided meditation designed to help you connect with your favorite stone. Just go to Samantha Fay dot com click the Upcoming Events tab to register. As always, all my classes are recorded and email to you the next day, so even if you can't make it live, you can still participate in the class. And be sure to sign up for my newsletter at Samantha Fay dot com. Because I do have some great things coming up in the new year. I'm going to be teaching my Be your Own Psychic class again, and Denise and I are doing our Mediumship one oh one class in the new year as well. So to be the first to learn about all that, go to Samithafaye dot com and click the newsletter tab. How about you, deb.
Speaker 1: I am closing registration for my self paced to Row course that's entitled The Fool's Calling on Friday November fifteenth at five pm Eastern. This course helps you understand your own life's journey through the symbols, myths, cultures, and beliefs of traditional to Row. Each week, for thirty eight weeks, you get an in depth lesson about the cards as we make our way from the Fool through the minor archonic keys again. The last day to register for this course is Friday, November fifteenth. You can learn more about it on my website debboen dot com. And in January, I'm offering my Unlocking the Mysteries of the Row course. This is the course I teach that helps you begin your journey in reading the Cards, and I so hope you'll subscribe to my free newsletter which is packed full of interesting information and upcoming events, and the subscribe button is at the bottom of my website homepage. Debbowen dot com. Thanks so much and I look forward to you joining me.
Speaker 2: Okay, dev do you want to tell us about the Hotel Chelsea?
Speaker 1: Oh? I woke up it was a Chelsea morning, says Joni Mitchell. The list of the rich, famous, eccentric, talented and artistic people who have been guessed at this hotel since it opened in eighteen eighty four is astounding. Here are a few folks who have stayed and probably continues to stay. Perhaps there Pattie Smith, Mark Twain, Andy Warhol, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Jimmy Hendrix, and of course Jannis Jopper. Considered one of the most haunted hotels in New York, it is home to many strange deaths, including several suicides and murders. The Hotel Chelsea is allegedly haunted by a woman named Mary, who survived the Titanic sinking but lost her husband and Larry, a ghost who tries to talk to anyone who will listen. I'd love to know if Janice and Jimmy walk the halls or sing in the lobby. I've never heard anybody say that, but boy, wouldn't that be fun.
Speaker 2: It is so interesting that so many of these robber barons built these beautiful, beautiful buildings that we still treasure today, and we don't see that anymore. We have robber barons today.
Speaker 1: We do, but they're not building elegant hotels.
Speaker 2: They're not building elegant hotels. You know what I was in. I had to go to New York City with Michael this summer for a work thing. So he was working one day and I just decided to stay in the New York City Public Library and do some work myself. And it's so beautiful in that rose room, and I was just looking around at the exquisiteness, and so I just started, you know, researching, like how long did it take to build this? So it turned out that the library was built by some of the robber barons. Andrew Carnegie gave five million dollars, and I was like, gosh, why don't they build stuff like this anymore? And you know, everyone was saying, well, it's cost too much money. Well, five point two million back then is one hundred and sixty million today. And we know we spend more than that building I don't know target, you know what I mean? Like, why can't we build beautiful stuff anymore? I don't know, You're going to haunt these new buildings, deb I'm not gonna want. I don't want to haunt these newer hotels, know me.
Speaker 1: Either give me a choice and I would be at the Grove park in or the Stanley. Will talk about that soon. Let's instead go to the Mispa Hotel in Tanta Punk, Nevada. Opened in nineteen oh seven, the Mispa Hotel wants cater to wealth the investors during the silver mining boom. Of course, today, however, it is best known for its ghost, the most famous of whom is the Lady in Red. We go from a pink lady in Asheville to a Lady in Red in Nevada. She is said to have been horribly murdered by a jealous lover, and she leaves pearls beneath guest pillows and rearranges their belongings. Wouldn't it be wild to found a pearl under your pillow in that hotel?
Speaker 2: Yes? I'd like to see photos of this. I would too, I wonder if they're real pearls.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think that's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: Now you can leave a pearl under my foot and I wouldn't complain.
Speaker 1: A Let's go to Nashville to Union stations, Nashville Yards. Well, it's a train station. This hotel is a prime ghost, funny location. The story of Abigail is quite famous. She lost her lover, her husband somebody in World War two and flung herself in front of a moving train at the same station where she bid him farewell as he went to war. In France. Guests describe seeing for walking the halls and haunting rooms. Seven eleven guests in that room say lights flicker and they have taken photos of apparitions that appear in mirrors. I will talk about that a minute. Temperatures plummet and strange noises come from the ceiling.
Speaker 2: No thank you, you know me either. Speaking of another note, how about staying at the historic Lizzie Borden House in Fall River, Massachusetts. This has been turned into an inn. You know the story and the rhyme. Lizzie Borden, although acquitted, is still believed by many to have hacked her parents, Abby and Andrew Borden to death with a hatchet. You can take a guided tour of the historic Lizzie Borden House's first floor in basement, or you can book an overnight stay in the John V. Moore Suite, where Abby's body was found. Rave souls who have stayed here say they see objects moving, hear footsteps and voices, smell strange odors, and see figures. Let's wrap up with the Stanley Hotel and Estes Park, Colorado. You want to tell us about.
Speaker 1: That, well, I want to, but I want you to tell us because you've been there more recently than I have.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I just came back from there. It was absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 1: We know.
Speaker 2: The Stanley is famous from Stephen King's The Shining, which he wrote after spending considerable time writing The stand in Room two seventeen at the Stanley Hotel. You've probably seen the movie with Jack Nicholson and the words red Rum are echoing in your ears, most likely as you are listening to this. But there's so much more to this hotel. In eighteen seventy eight, Wyndham Thomas Quinn, the fourth Earl of dun Raven of Ireland, built the estes Park Hotel on this site. His opulent hotel was very successful as the West was booming and wealthy entrepreneurs from the East flocked to the Rockies. But then tragically the hotel was destroyed by fire in nineteen oh nine.
Speaker 1: F O.
Speaker 2: Stanley, inventor of the Stanley steamer auto and a lot of other inventions. He and his brother I went on the tour dev I could not believe all the stuff they invented, just two brilliant brothers. But he was told he only had like a couple of months to live because he had tuberculosis. And they told him to move to Denver. So he did and it didn't help at all, and the doctor was like, you got to go up higher. So that's how he and his wife found Estays Park and he lived a very, very long life. It completely restored his health. He and his wife Flora decided to build an elegant hotel that would rival the estates of the other robber barons in the East, like the Vanderbilts with their opulent Builtmore in Ashville. Opened on July fourth, nineteen oh nine, set against the breathtaking mountains, it boasted electricity, telephones, modern bathrooms, and a professional staff. This was the era of the aristocracy, traveling with their own maids and butlers, and they spent whole summers in establishments such as the Stanley. In fact, for some years, children, nannies and maids were relegated to rooms on the fourth floor, and there's some stories about that that Dud's going to share with us in a little bit. In nineteen eleven, a gas lantern accidentally exploded, interestingly in room two seventeen, causing significant damage to the hotel and gave us the first story of a hunting there. It's believed that Elizabeth Wilson, the chambermaid who was responsible for the explosion, still haunts the hotel. Guests report awakening in the morning to their room being tidier than when they went to bed, tossed close, neatly folded. There's also a story. If you look at the Stanley, to the right, another building and that's where single gentleman had to stay. So if you went to the Stanley and you were a bachelor, you couldn't stay in the hotel with other women. You had to stay in the gentleman's house. And it's reported that you if you stay in there and you're a single guy and you bring a woman to the room. She does not like that and will let you know. Sometimes the doors will slam, or you can't get into your hotel room, or your sheets will be lifted off of you.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Stanley died in nineteen forty and is said to haunt the bar and billiard room. It's said that missus Stanley haunts the concert hall. One fairly recent report says her impromptu concerns have become more frequent in recent years. While Room two seventeen is the most famous guest room in the hotel, it isn't really the most haunted. But here's how this room came to be so famous. So Stephen King and his wife, who's also an author, Tabitha King, decided to take a trip there in octobur over nineteen seventy four to spend a night at the Stanley, just a few days before the hotel closed for the winter. They were given room two seventeen. And you know, the hotel was pretty empty. They were all trying to close up for this seat for the year, so it had kind of a haunting feeling to it anyway, And it's from this that the seeds of the shining first sprung into his mind. He had a horrible nightmare that night, including a really scary incident with a child in the hall outside of Room two seventeen, and when he woke up he had the entire idea for the shining already in his head. It's actually the fourth floor that is the most haunted. Children can be heard running and laughing in the hallways. Room four oh one is said to be the most haunted room in the hotel. Some ghost report that a male ghost there who isn't very nice. Women claim to have been touched while standing at the room's close. One man said his wedding ring moved from the bathroom countertop and fell down the drain in the sink. In room four oh seven, many guests say they've been tucked into their beds at night. Others say someone sits at the foot of their bed. An invitation in the covers validates this claim. When the light is turned on. No No, No. In room four twenty eight, guests reports seeing a cowboy standing over their bed or standing in the corner. Some believe the cowboy was never a hotel guest, but is the spirit of James Nugent known as Rocky Mountain Jim, who was one of Ustay's Park's founders. Do you want to tell us about the Grand Staircase Vortex?
Speaker 1: So many psychics and mediums agree that the Grand staircase that leads from the hotel lobby to the second floor is a portal open for disembodied spirits to come and go into the hotel. It is called the vortex. There are men any documented sightings and photographs that bear out this idea. And there is also directly above the Grant staircase. It takes you from the lobby to the second floor, but straight above that on the fourth floor is an opening to what to the belfry, And there's a belief that there's a connection between that fourth floor opening to the belfry and the Grand Staircase down far below it. You can take lots of tours in the Stanley if you want to. Samantha's going to talk in a minute about the hotel dead guy, and then I want to tell some stories about how Joel and I spent two different trips doing ghost honey at the Stanley. So tell us what's happened recently, Samantha with the new owners.
Speaker 2: So the new owners have started another tour called the Frozen Dead guide tour and if you go over to their former ice house, it is now the home of a man from Norway actually who wished to be frozen and reawakened when they had a cure for the illness that killed him. And so you can actually go and tour it and see this frozen man. Now you can't see him. He's in a seal, like a silver tube that's all sealed. But it is pretty interesting to think about. I went on the Haunted tour of the hotel. My favorite story. There's a pet cemetery on the hotel and there was a golden retriever named Mollie and everyone loved her, and she would actually deliver newspapers to the guest residence doors every morning, and some people still report hearing like a little scratching at their door, as though a dog is there. And so the woman who was leading the ghost tour said that, you know, she loves working there, and so she'll she'll get there early in the morning and she has her coffee and just kind of like walks around the grounds because they're so beautiful there. And this one morning she walked over to the pet cemetery and she just kind of offered up them up a prayer and thanked them for their service and all that they contributed to the Stanley and said, you know, if anyone ever wants to join me on the tour, please feel free. So she takes a group on this tour and you go into the Billard's room, which I felt was the most haunted room in the hotel. You could feel a lot of energy in there. And there's a lot of mirrors, and she says, often if you took a picture of yourself in the mirror, you'll see a ghost. Usually it's mister Stanley. But she said one time she was that morning after she had gone to the pet cemetery, she's giving the tour and telling that story, took a picture in the mirror, And so one of the tour people took a picture of themselves in the mirror with the tour guide behind her, and she showed us this picture. Deb you can see clear as day an outline of a golden retriever. It looks like her two paws are on the tour leader's shoulders. It looks like Molly, the girl dog is giving her a hug.
Speaker 1: Oh, how lovely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just the sweetest thing tell us about your ghost investigations.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the first let me tell you this because it's important. The Stanley Hotel website has been updated recently and the homepage of the website is just lovely. It's like a drone view that brings you in from the sky down into the hotel grounds, and it's really lovely. The hotel itself is you shaped, so when you approach the hotel, there's a front piece and then there are on either ends wings that go back behind behind the hotel. So it's use shaped in that way. And that's important to the story because Joel and I had some interesting experiences in several places along the way. The first trip that we went there, we were in rooms four eleven and four thirteen, and we had come in from a beautiful day in the park. We had spent the day having a picnic in Moraine Park, we had seen elk, we had I mean, we just had this most lovely day. And so we went into the hotel and got into our rooms and we're going to freshen up and then meet for drinks and dinner in a little bit. So I get into my room and the phone rings and I'm thinking, oh, it's Joel. He needs to tell me something. So I pick up the phone and it's an old fashioned phone, y'all. I mean, like an old fashion phone. I answer the phone and there's nobody there, and I think, okay, that's really weird. But I put the phone down and think, well, somebody may have misstyled. I mean, you know, I'm just kind of blowing it off at the moment. Well, in like three seconds flat, there's this knocking at my door, and I go to the door and there is Joel, and his eyes are as big as saucers, and he says, the fan in my room just turned on by itself. I said, okay, did you just call me? He said no. I said, oh, here we go. We haven't been here fifteen minutes yet. We go to dinner, and we have a lovely dinner downstairs in the hotel restaurant. And after dinner we wait a bit for things to kind of settle down in the allways in the downstairs to clear out a bit, and so we begin this very what to us is a very systematic investigation. Joel has a real old fashion thirty five milimeter camera. I have a compass in my hand some notepads, you know. So we're off and running. We're over here on the left hand side of the U in our separate rooms over here for this event. And so we're going to go from that side of the hall across the main floor and then over to the right hand side of the U. So we're going to start on the fourth floor. We're going to work our way downstairs and then work our way back up. So four one. The room that Samantha is describing as being very haunted is the Bridal Suite. Basically, it's in the center of the hotel. But we go around to the other side and we reach this place where it feels like we've been lifted up off the floor, and there's a little alcove and a little bench in this space, and we both just stop and look at each other and look down at our feet, and the sensation stops, and we're back down on the carpet. It's a very odd sensation. Directly across the hall from this is a lovely window looking out onto the mountains that are at this point just kind of in dusk. And I said Joel, take a picture of that window, and he did, and of course this is back in the days when you don't know what you're taking a picture of, other than what the camera's gonna eventually tell you. Right, we're gonna pump, We're gonna print real pictures. So we continue on down the hallway, and as we get near the end of the hallway, this voice says Joel. And I looked at him, and he looked at me, and the expression on his face was please tell me you didn't hear that too, And I said, I did hear it, clear as day. We heard the word Joel. So we stopped to see if maybe basically really to kind of eavesdropping. I mean, there might have been somebody behind the door of the room we were standing in front of. His name was Joel, who knows not a dead silent, perfectly silent, okay. As we so we made our way downstairs. Of course, we're taking photographs, we're looking for orbs, we're watching my compass spin in places, we're sensing whatever we're sensing. We get down, of course, to the second floor. We are in that hallway in front of him two seventeen, which is real near a staircase, if I'm remembering correctly. Samantha and you know, there's a little plaque on the wall that says Stephen King was there. And so forth, we go down to the lobby and we're on that floor with a restaurant in the billiard's room and the bar and whatnot. And we go into the billiard's room in the bar, and I said, Joe, just shoot pictures into the mirror. See what happens. We don't have a picture of mister Stanley, but we have one of Missus Stanley. Oh yes, and clear as day there is her up from you know, about chest high up in that mirror. Clear's day, there's Missus Stanley. And we had several other events happened along the way there with that, with that trip. When we went back to a second a couple of years later, and we got there and they had been a mix up in our reservations and we ended up having to share a room. We shared room four of seven. Remember that's the room that Samantha said that someone sits at the foot of your bed, the covers move when the light turns on. Well, that's not what we experienced in four oh seven. But here's what we did. We get into this room as a result of having mixed up our reservations and putting us both in a room where we were sharing basically sort of twin beds. They sent up drinks, so we had strengths and stuff you normally put on a dresser in a hotel room. And Joel had two or three, maybe five shots left on a roll of film, and I said, just shoot, just take pictures in the mirror, take pictures around the room. And he did, and when we got the film developed, what we saw was images in the mirror behind what was you know, the stuff we had put on the mirror that were on the dressertop, Images in the mirror. And I had suggested because I said, you sleep in the bed by the door, so in case anybody comes, I don't have to deal with that. I'll sleep over here next to the closet. Unbeknownst to me, there was somebody standing in front of the closet, and we have pictures in addition to that. Later Joel was doing some research about what we had experienced. There's more on that fourth floor in that having stayed in room four oh seven, our bathroom overlooked the courtyard inside the U and someone had posted a picture on a website somewhere of a man standing in the window in our bathroom, and it was very old fashioned man. Joel truly believes it was Lord Dunraven. I'm not sure. But one of the things that we also did was we took toys with us and put them out in the hallway, because one of the things that was often noted on that side of the hallway in the hotel was that children would run up and down the hallway and during the night. Remember it was the fourth floor where during the height of the Stanley's fame during the Robber Barren era, families would come and stay all summer and bring their maids and nannies and children with them, and they were always relegated to that fourth floor. So we put toys out into the fourth floor and they were moved when we got up the next morning. I don't know whether somebody else came along during the night, I don't know, but in any case, they were not where we had left them when we went to bed. Joel woke up during the night and swear said they would he sent somebody in the room. I don't know. I did not, but that was an interesting experience with being in that really haunted room that particular time, and there are many more stories, but that's kind of enough to give you an idea that I can vouch for, the idea that there's some pretty spooky stuff going on at the Stanley. I have not been there, Like I said, Samantha has been there more recently than I have, and I have not been there since this cryogenetic cryogenic museum has been established. But I did do some research into the history of this frozen man. For a long time, his family kept him in a freezer in a shed in their yard with dry ice for years years.
Speaker 2: And it cost them so much money and salt.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. So now they've moved him to the Stanley Hotel in this silver cryogenetic triogenic tube Samantha has described. But in the town of Estes Park there is a frozen dead Guy's Day.
Speaker 2: It's a big deal. They have photos of it. You can go. They have all sorts of fun parties. I don't know if I'll find Dub there, but it just looks kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: You will not find deb there, although I will tell you I do think the Stanley is is absolutely lovely, and I enjoyed what Joel and I did there, and the pictures that we got in the Oh, let me go back to this real quick. When I asked j All to take a picture of the window across from the place where we were lifted up off the floor. When the picture came back, but what we saw at that window was just this lovely mountain view. There was this brown gloopy stuff all over the picture. Oh oh, I have the photograph.
Speaker 2: Well, you know now when you go up the top of the stairs, right in front of you is a double door and it leads to a seance room and it's decorated like a seance from the age of the Spiritualist. And there is a man there, a magician who performs seances there, and you can get tickets and go.
Speaker 1: That's different. That was the bridal Suite when I was last there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now it's the seance room.
Speaker 1: How about that.
Speaker 2: I know, I'll have to send you pictures of it. It was a little creepy.
Speaker 1: Well, but it's The hotel is lovely and the grounds are gorge I know they've built a lot of new buildings and places for staff to stay and so forth. It's different than when I was last there, but it's breathtaking.
Speaker 2: Well, I did feel that there's stuff there, just like the Grove Park. I didn't feel anything negative, did.
Speaker 1: You, No? I did not. I mean I no, I didn't feel anything negative. I just very clear that Missus Stanley was there, we saw her. I do believe that. But I do believe that because of such a history and such a place, that there are people who really liked being at the Stanley and they just never really wanted to leave. It's only the Stephen King stuff I think that gives it that creepy, bad scary aspect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the woman who survived that gas explosion that destroyed parts of the hotel and the fire, the family was very nice and they offered to give her enough money to retire the rest of her life. You know, they paid for her hospital bills, of course, but then they offered to give her money so she wouldn't have to work there anymore. And she turned it down deb because she wanted to keep coming every day to clean rooms and work at the Stanley. That's how much she loved it. And she worked there till the end of her life. And it was funny because she lived alone, and you know, she was old, but she'd been old for a long long time. And so this guy's at the Stanley working and he sees her coming in and he's like, hey, good morning, and they chat and about an hour later, some other hotel employees come in and they're all sad, and he's like, what's wrong, And they're like, oh, didn't you hear she died last night? And he's like, no, no, I just had a whole conversation with her this morning. So it's like she kept coming to work. So there's there's a lot of funnies, interesting fun not out funny, ha ha funny interesting stories about that.
Speaker 1: And we have pictures of lots of orbs. Golly, we got tons of orbs and most almost every hallway.
Speaker 2: We got lots of energy there, but a beautiful hotel to visit. As are all the ones we discussed.
Speaker 1: Absolutely they are. I hope everybody's enjoyed this. I we sure had fun putting it together.
Speaker 2: Yes, we definitely have. And unfortunately we are done with spooky season. I'm sure we'll do another spooky show here or there, but please join us next week when we're going to discuss six ways to jump start your intuition. We hope you have a beautiful, spookly fun end to your Halloween season. We'll be back with you next week. Remember as always, to be the light for yourself and others.
Speaker 1: Take care everyone,