Speaker 1: I have been being chased down, literally by the Book of Jonah for the last I don't know how many months. Every time I turn on a YouTube you know something or other one of my favorite whatevers, whoever's there, they're.
Speaker 2: Talking about Jonah. Jonah keeps popping up.
Speaker 1: I ended up with a little book about Jonah. So I read the book and just all sorts of things. So guess what you're gonna hear about today. Yeah, I hope you're all ready for that. So Jonah is a four chapter, little tiny book in the very back of the Old Testament.
Speaker 2: When was the last time you read Jonah? Hm hmm.
Speaker 1: Look at your neighbor, hmmm. Well we're going to take care of that today. Jonah's a short little book, is about four chapters and exactly forty eight verses long. We can do this, people, You can read the Book of Jonah. You could do it so fast, you could probably do it about fifteen minutes. You have Jonah down, bam, you know, mark it off the bucket list. Right.
Speaker 2: So, this is the Book of Jonah.
Speaker 1: It's very, very, very small, but I will tell you those forty eight verses are packed with power. Those forty eight verses are gonna leave you with more questions than you have answers those forty eight verses. If you are a preacher like me about every other word, you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna go, oh, that'll preach good.
Speaker 1: I would someday give me that, give me that, give me that mic, and give.
Speaker 2: Me that Jonah, and I'm gonna preach it.
Speaker 1: So I get to do it here today, right, So I get to bring you a little piece of it. If you read the Book of Jonah, you're gonna get so you're gonna be so inspired. But you're also going to be so convicted. So that's our job here today.
Speaker 2: Are you ready? Okay?
Speaker 1: Jonah is a minor prophet, and that does not mean that he is insignificant or underaged. It merely means that Jonah is one of I believe there's twelve minor prophets in the Old Testament. And he's short, that's all he is. He's short, not short, but short, right, But it doesn't mean he's insignificant. Jonah was referred to by our Lord Jesus as he was walking on this earth. You can read about it in the New Testament. He refers to Jonah multiple times, and so this whole story is very, very, very impactful. So I'm excited to kind of crack it open for you here today. So when I say Jonah, what do you say.
Speaker 2: Ninevah the whale? What else running away? Did you? Were you here for service?
Speaker 1: He's given away? He's a spoiler alert over here?
Speaker 2: Anything else that you would say? O?
Speaker 1: Kay, okay, Well, it sounds like you're very Jonah literate out here. I'm very proud of you. So I Hopeully, you're going to learn something new here today. Yes, Jonah is actually one of the most well known Bible stories. And as I said, it's forty eight verses long. Jonah and Noah are in competition for the most well known Bible story, right so, And but they both involved the sea, right and it's something to float in, so there's similarities, right so. But Jonah is one of the most well known I would say the whale, ninevah, tarsish, you know, all those kinds of things. But there are a few things that you don't know. I can assume because I didn't know. So if I don't know, you don't know. So I'm going to share him with you, so you know, and I know, and we all know and it'll all make more sense hopefully, right. So the first thing I want you to know is a little bit about Ninevah. Now, if you know anything about Jonah, we're going to learn how ninev fits into the story. But let me give you a little background about Ninevah. Ninevah is one of the oldest cities in civilization. Ninevah is actually mentioned in Genesis ten in the Table of Nations after Noah's ark and God is setting aside and setting up the table of Nations and the boundary, and he mentions a few cities that were established at that point.
Speaker 2: And Ninevah was one of them. So ninev is a very very old cities.
Speaker 1: Knock your neighbor and say old, very ancient, like older than me, older than you, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's Ninevah. Nineveh during the.
Speaker 1: Time of Jonah is the capital city of the superpower of the day, which is Assyria. And Assyria is known for quite a few time things during their time frame, but the biggest thing that they're known for is their absolute brutality against humanity. The Assyrians had some of the most brutal, the most evil, though the most inhumane ways of teaching treating humanity life meant nothing to them. Their torture for their enemies when they would go out and do battle, the torture that they would inflict would make your little.
Speaker 2: Mind go crazy.
Speaker 1: It's way worse than any kind of horror movie out there. They were known for the incredible evil. And so this is Ninevah, Ninevah, so the time of Ninevah and the Assyrians so kind of have this in mind. They're this foreboding, formidable, horrible, horrible group of people that were ruling the world.
Speaker 2: Really by that time. Israel at this.
Speaker 1: Moment is small and tiny, a little tiny right there. And so remember your is your your Bible history. There was King Saul, the first king of Israel. Then there was king and then there was king. Oh, you are smart, you are smart, Okay, So then who knows what the next king's name is? Yes, and Jereboem we had some Yes anyway, the next the next guy in line sins against God greatly, and because of that, the king of Israel is torn into two. How many remember that there's the Northern Kingdom of ten tribes, there's the Southern Kingdom of two tribes. What was the name of the Northern Kingdom.
Speaker 2: No, Israel.
Speaker 1: Israel is the North kingdom, ten tribes. Judah is the name of the Southern Kingdom, and two tribes are down there.
Speaker 2: Everybody with me, Okay.
Speaker 1: So the books of First and Second Kings and first and Second Chronicles, so as you're reading your Old Testament is a chronological history of both of these divided kingdoms of Israel.
Speaker 2: Right, So as you're.
Speaker 1: Reading, you're going to be hearing about Israel and Judah. Israel and Judah, so don't be confused. They're the divided kingdoms. So Jonah actually before we go there, yes, open up your Bible to Second Kings, because I want to give you some context to Jonah. So I gave you a little context to Nineveh and how horrible Afhala is. Now I'm going to give you a little context to you Yonah. Jonah is has a bigger role to play than his forty eight verses at the end of the Old Testament, and we find in Second Kings.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read this to you.
Speaker 1: It says here in the fifteenth year of Amaziah, son of joe Ash, king of where So that's the Southern tribes. Jereboam, son of joe Ash, King of Israel the Northern tribes, became king in Samaria, and he reigned for forty one years. He, meaning Jereboam, the King of Israel, did evil in the eyes of the Lord, and did not turn away from all the sins of that Jereboam guy way on back that caused the division and which he had caused Israel to commit. He this current king was the one who restored the boundaries of Israel, Israel from Liebo Hamath to the Sea of Araba. Okay, So what has happened is that during these divided kingdom times, Israel is very small and very insignificant, and is constantly being whittled away with pressured the nations that surround are constantly wanting to come in and take over, and so it's getting smaller and smaller and smaller. But at this moment, this king, Jereboam, it says here he was able to militarily go in and re establish his boundaries, push those things back, get back what the devil had stolen from him. And let's look and see how he did that in accordance with the word of the Lord, the God of Israel, spoken through his servant Jonah, son of a Midtide, the prophet from Goth, Hiraba or whatever that heifer.
Speaker 2: Yes, so what we have is a king. We have Israel, we have Judah.
Speaker 1: The next verse says here the Lord had seen how bitterly everyone in Israel, whether slaver frees, were suffering, and.
Speaker 2: There was no one to help them.
Speaker 1: They were living in very dark times, very pressurized times. And the word of the Lord came to the Lord's servant, a prophet, And that prophet named Jonah, was standing in the presence of God and heard the word of the Lord and took that word of the Lord into the presence of the King. The king did as Jonah had said and had great success.
Speaker 2: This is the Jonah we're talking about. Did you know that about Jonah? Good near? Did I? Now?
Speaker 1: Jonah lived during very dark, difficult times. Israel's border is restored militarily through that. Jonah partnered with the word of the Lord. The word of the Lord came to him in dark times, in troubling times.
Speaker 2: The word of the Lord. He was standing before the Lord.
Speaker 1: He heard the word of the Lord, and he partnered and went into the King, and things changed. God does not do things without a partner here on earth. I know we have said this here so many times. I'm trying to get this pounded into our hearts and our souls, that you are very, very vital. You are on this earth. Sucond breath, walk and do in your thing, so that you can hear the word of the Lord, and you can go forth with the word of the Lord, and.
Speaker 2: You can make a difference.
Speaker 1: You can speak the word of the Lord into very dark and troubling times and make a difference. That is you, that's your new identity.
Speaker 2: There, you have it. Okay, we can be done. Is that a good enough sermon? There's more. There's more. Amos three p. Seven says that God does nothing. Can we have it up there? Or did we lose our screens?
Speaker 1: Surely the sovereign Lord does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants, the prophets.
Speaker 2: How many of you in.
Speaker 1: This house are servants and prophets of the Lord. Are you his child?
Speaker 2: Then you're his? You are absolutely his.
Speaker 1: And this is Jonah Jonah partnered because the servant of the Lord, of the prophet, he stood in a very privileged, privileged position. He was in the know, He could see things, He got the insights from the Lord. He stood in the presence of God and felt the pressure of God's will upon his spirit and heard God's voice telling what was to come Jonah. Actually, this little part, this little passage here places Jonah in the next generation from Elijah and Elisha.
Speaker 2: Did you know that.
Speaker 1: Jonah grew up under Elijah and Elisha?
Speaker 2: And the thought is.
Speaker 1: The thought is is that he very well could have been part of the school of the prophets during Elijah and Elisha. Wow, now we're seeing Jonah in a whole nother light.
Speaker 2: This man was in the know. He was a mover and a shaker.
Speaker 1: He was successful, he saw his partnership with God really means something and change things. Jewish legend even says that Jonah. Now this is legend, people, I'm not quote in the scripture, but legend, Jewish legend. Jewish scripture says that Jonah was actually the son of the widow of Zarah Fath. Do you remember her that gave food and a room to Elijah and the son had passed away and Elijah came and raised him from the dead. Jewish legend is that that was Jonah. Now, I don't know, we're in Legendville, Right, But what if? What if this is his pedigree, this is Jonah's past, This is what Jonah.
Speaker 2: Could you know?
Speaker 1: What was he was capable of? Jonah was just he was a guy, right, He was the man for the moment.
Speaker 2: He had accomplished so much. And I don't know about you.
Speaker 1: If I was in Jonah's shoes at this point, I have been in the King's presence. I have been in God's presence. I have heard things that other people don't hear.
Speaker 2: I've heard from the Lord.
Speaker 1: I'm able to walk into God's the King's presence, and say words and it actually comes to pass. Things are happening. People are calling me up saying, hey, how do you know these things? Teach me how you know them. So maybe Jonah was having some seminars about how to be a great prophet. I don't know, but he was kind of in this place of great success. And I don't know about you, but maybe if I was Jonah, after we had done all this, and we had won many wars, and we had gone back to our original borders and kind of got through a bunch of mess. I don't know about you, but I would maybe buy a piece of property out in the back, you know, in the hill country, and you know how to view iced tea plant a orchard out there. You know, kick back, have some friends in every once in a while, start a fire, little bonfire, roast some marshmallows, to tell stories that might be my mindset. I did it, I succeeded. I'm amazing.
Speaker 2: I don't know. This is just this is where my mind goes. Right.
Speaker 1: But let's now open up Jonah and find out what happens next. Truly, verse one and two, the word of the Lord came to Jonah, son of a Mitai, go to the great city of Ninevah and preach against it because its wickedness has.
Speaker 2: Come up before me.
Speaker 1: So here's here's Joanna in the presence of God one more time. This is his familiar place. He's a good Christian, He's done amazing things. And you know he starts getting that feeling again, you know, that presence of God kind of feeling.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know what this is.
Speaker 1: Oh God, you're gonna say something good. You and me, we're gonna do something big, now I know it. And the words that come from the presence of God is Jonah, go to Ninevah, preach against it because it's wickedness has come up to me. Now. The equivalent would be for a Jew from say New York in the nineteen forties to get on a plane and fly to Berlin, Nazi Germany, and get up and go to the center of the town city there and start preaching against Hitler.
Speaker 2: How long would that last? How would that go for him?
Speaker 1: Have you ever been asked to do something you really don't want to do?
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how wonderful you are.
Speaker 1: You could be having a wonderful day, having a wonderful life, doing great things for everybody, you know, just like really knocking life out of the park.
Speaker 2: But then you're asked to do.
Speaker 1: Something you don't want to do. It's a thing that happens on the inside of you. It's a real thing. So Jonah has some new assignment. And I will tell you that this is the first time any prophet of God has been deployed or sent outside of the confines of Israel into an ungodly nation to preach. This is the only time Jonah is the lucky one.
Speaker 2: He gets to go to.
Speaker 1: Not just Assyria, but Ninevah and preach against it. And this mighty man of God has a thing stirring in his heart. All of a sudden, what God was asking him was the biggest thing he'd ever been asked to do. It was unprecedented. Nobody'd ever been sent outside of the walls of Israel. It was at best unreasonable to ask a human being to go into Ninevah into it, not just you know, yell over the wall into it to preach against it. And at worst it was suicidal. God was asking him to lay his life down, so inside of his soul he was raging with a war to obey or disobey. Has anybody ever had this war inside of your soul? Where God has set a standard, maybe made a call to your life, asked you to do something, set his word in his Bible that says thou shalt not lie.
Speaker 2: And you want to lie really bad right now because it would pay off quite well.
Speaker 1: Or maybe you have a little bit of something, something that you know and you want to share it, or you're listening, or maybe you want to kill somebody, or maybe you have some thoughts in your head towards having a sexual something or rather going on.
Speaker 2: Just that thought.
Speaker 1: What if and you have a fight, a war inside of you.
Speaker 2: Anybody been there, Well, this is where Noah found himself. Should he obey? Should he not obey.
Speaker 1: The mighty Man of God, who's done amazing things, He shouldn't have any trouble ever, Verse three. But everybody say butt, So you'd think at this moment you'd hear these wonderful, heroic words of So. So Jonah got up, went right to Nineveh, preached his little heart out, and everyone came to Jesus.
Speaker 2: So you'd hope there would be a sol right here. But there's no. So it's a butt. And everyone knows what happens.
Speaker 1: When there's a butt, it means that the opposite happened. So, but Jonah ran away from the Lord and headed for Tarsis. Everybody knows that if you're in Israel and you're going to go to Nineveh, you're going to take a left and you're gonna head east. But Jonah, oh no, he took a right and headed west. So he went the exact opposite. He went down to the port of Joppa, where he found a ship. Can you imagine that God had a ship.
Speaker 2: Right here for me? The Lord is in this.
Speaker 1: Who how many times have we blamed the Lord for our fleeing and disobeying.
Speaker 2: How easy it is. Look at how easy this.
Speaker 1: There's my ship right there's got my name right on it. After paying the fare, and wouldn't you know, in my little bag Jonah's little baggy, there was just enough, just enough to pay the fare. It was God again, confirmation two things. I am supposed to sail to Tarshish. He went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the Lord. It's God's nature to ask for the biggest, most unprecedented, unreasonable, and even suicidal things from you. In fact, he's asking you to die to yourself.
Speaker 2: He wants you to do the hardest of hardest. Are you kidding me? You want me to forgive that person? Are you kidding me? You want me to get up early and pray? Are you kidding me? You want me to do what? And you have this fight inside of you between what? Should you want me to love my wife? Right now? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: I died to something. If I'm gonna do what you want me to do? Kind of suicidal right now?
Speaker 2: God, I don't know. You're asking me something big.
Speaker 1: God asked Abraham for something big. He said, laid down Isaac and sacrifice him on the altar. Abraham said yes, because Abraham trusted the character of the one asking.
Speaker 2: He trusted his character.
Speaker 1: God will provide, so.
Speaker 2: There was no butt in Abraham's story. He did it.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So let's keep reading. So verse four we got Jonah running.
Speaker 1: Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea, and such a violent storm arose that the ship threatened to break up. Can I just say to you, people of God, with every sin ever, every time you turn away from God, every time you run from what he says, every time you compromise what he says, there is a storm attached to it. You cannot get away from the storm attached from running from God. And I will say something else, very broad, and it includes me, because I'm in this room. Every single one of us are running from something from God. Every one of us right now in our souls are fighting with a little.
Speaker 2: Sumpthing something that God is saying. I don't like that. I think I'm gonna do it my way. Every one of us, raise your hand if you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Come on, everyone, see I'm right. Everyone's running from something, and every time you take a step away from God's calling God's will, God's weighs, God's bar God's thoughts. Every time you go I want mine, a storm starts to brew.
Speaker 2: A storm is always attached to that.
Speaker 1: And first of all, the storm will start raging inside of your own soul, and it will start fighting you, and it'll start just and then what happens.
Speaker 2: Is you act out. Sometimes you'll snap at somebody, or.
Speaker 1: You'll you'll do something, and now you've involved somebody else.
Speaker 2: In your storm. They got hit by.
Speaker 1: All of your storm, and they had nothing to do with the storm, but now they're sucked into your storm. Sometimes your spouse is stuck, sucked into your.
Speaker 2: Storm, and your spouse cana.
Speaker 1: I didn't have nothing to do with that, and now I'm dealing with a storm. Maybe your children are sucked into your storm. Maybe the people that's your worker now stuck, or maybe you go to work and you're sucked into their storm. I didn't do nothing here. Sin and storms are connected all the time. You and I happen to live in a nation that has had sin within.
Speaker 2: Our leaders.
Speaker 1: Listen, I've never had an abortion, I am not. I have not even had a a illistic sexual affair, let alone with my same sex.
Speaker 2: I've never done any of that.
Speaker 1: But I am living in a nation that is now sucked up into a storm at the sin of the citizens in this nation. But I will tell you I have my own sins. Ooh, wish I didn't have to say that. And even the smallest of turning from him, even the smallest little stiff farm, even the smallest cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: Here is sin, and it has a storm attached to it, and it is storming and it's causing. So let's finish that verse all the sailors, or no, go to verse five, all the sailors. So here's here's Jonah. Let's just remember where we're at, because I just took a lovely rabbit trail. So let's start at verse four. When the Lord sent. Then the Lord sent a great wind on the sea. Oh shoot, three minutes, and such a violent storm arose the ship threatened to break up. All of the sailors were afraid and tried to and cried out to his own God, and they threw the cargo over this into the sea to lighten the ship. So what happens here is there in the middle of a storm, and the sailors know what's going on. They're the ungodly ones, and they see that problem is a bruin.
Speaker 2: So what do they do.
Speaker 1: They start praying. When you're in a storm, the storm is not sent to destroy you. The storm is not sent to punish you. The storm is sent.
Speaker 2: To reclaim me.
Speaker 1: Your storm. The storms that you're in the midst of are sent to you so that you will realize you are not God. Whether you cause the storm or not, you need a God, you need something bigger. It causes us to get on our knees and begin to pray. The storms that are in your life. You're not to avoid them. You are to run towards them. You are to let the storm do its full work inside of you. Because storms have the have God's love in the midst of them. They're sent to reclaim you and anyone else you've drug into that storm. So now we have all these heathen people up on deck praying their guts out.
Speaker 2: Ah, I need help, we need something bigger than us.
Speaker 1: And they start throwing, they start doing, they start doing whatever it takes to keep that ship afloat. They are in a massive work party up there. So but where is our wonderful, wonderful, godly man.
Speaker 2: But everybody say but once again, that.
Speaker 1: Indicates that the next to the rest of the sentence is that they were doing the wrong thing. But Jonah had gone below, where he lay down and fell into a deep sleep, a deep sleep. Are mighty man of God in the midst of the storm, said I'm going to take care of me.
Speaker 2: He went down below.
Speaker 1: He found his blanky, he found his pillow, He found a nice little warm spot. It kind of reminds me of a little mouse, how they make little nests in the middle of where they shouldn't be. So he's down there and he goes and let me tell you what. The ship is tossing back and forth. They're about ready to die. It is strange to me that this man can sleep. Doesn't that seem a little strange? This was a huge question in my mind. Why is he sleeping when he's about to die. And the people up top, what are they doing. They're praying their guts out, and they're working. We got a prayer meeting at a work party. And Jonah is downstairs, and every time that ship would toss him around, he'd kind.
Speaker 2: Of fluff his pillow up again.
Speaker 1: And just kind of look around, make sure these, and pull the blanket up over his head. And he kept sleeping until the captain went to him and said.
Speaker 2: How can you sleep?
Speaker 1: That was my question too, So here's my answer. When I was a child, my mom would tuck me into bed, I would fall fast asleep, and with about an hour or so, she would hear my door open, and I would get up and walk around the house. We could have conversations, we could talk. Sometimes if she didn't catch me, i'd run outside. One time I went outside, I was stacking wood, I was doing work. I even ran over to the neighbor's house and ding dong ditched once. They said the next morning, O the strangest thing. And all of a sudden, I'm thinking, I kind of remember that I was sleep walking and talking.
Speaker 2: So much of the.
Speaker 1: Church might appear awake, but they are sleeping.
Speaker 2: So many of us in.
Speaker 1: Our lives might appear that we are functioning and walking and talking and caring and thinking and dreaming. In fact, you dream a lot when you're sleeping.
Speaker 2: But we are sleeping.
Speaker 1: And how do we know if we're sleeping or if we're actually awake? I will tell you how the determining thing, and that is indifference. How much indifference do you have in your soul? That ship was sinking, and Jonah did not care.
Speaker 2: The heathens up top cared.
Speaker 1: Jonah cared only for his own comfort, fluff the pillows.
Speaker 2: Until he was completely con faced.
Speaker 1: With what are you sleeping for? How are you sleeping? There is a storm? How do you know you're sleeping? Is when you are indifferent. You're caring about yourself and inconsiderate of everyone who is now wrapped up in your storm. You're not showing up at the work parties because you're busy taking care of yourself. You're not praying, you're not coming to the prayer meetings, you're not caring about things. You're not confessing, you're not having accountability with other people because.
Speaker 2: You don't care. Jonah didn't care.
Speaker 1: Jonah was a amid all that confusion and noise, Oh Christian man, for you to be indifferent to all that is going on in such a world as this, for you to be negligent of God's work in such a time of this, is just as strange. The devil alone is making noise enough to awaken all the Jonahs all around us. There is tumult and storm, yet some still sleep. That was Charles Spurgeon written in the late eighteen hundreds. For us today, Jonah. If Jonah had kept running, he would have drowned and all that was in the storm with him. We can stay in our sin people and take refuge away from God. Keep running from him, keep running from what he wants to do and to say, and to snatch you from We can keep running or but you can't find refuge. Can You cannot find refuge outside of God. You can only find refuge in God.
Speaker 2: Verse seven. Then the sailors said to each other, come, let's.
Speaker 1: Cast lots and find out who is responsible for this calamity.
Speaker 2: You can bet.
Speaker 1: Jonah was starting to, you know, get a little nervous. They cast lots, and sure enough it fell to Jonah. I have a feeling, Jonah, you know it wasn't me. If I would have been Jonah to say wasn't me.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Try again.
Speaker 1: I think there was a mistake because he wanted to you know, I would want to keep running. I wouldn't want to own up to this. But instead, so then they asked him, tell us who is responsible for making all this trouble for us.
Speaker 2: What did you do? What do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? And what people are you?
Speaker 1: They were asking Jonah for his identity.
Speaker 2: They were asking him, who are you? What have you done? And I would say to each of you there was an undressing.
Speaker 1: Of Jonah, and at that moment, he'd either had to come clean with the truth of who he was and what he had done, or he could keep pretending like everything's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just a normal old fellow. Just happened to get on the ship. I don't know what's going on. No, he owned it humbly. He repented. He knew his identity, He.
Speaker 2: Knew who he was.
Speaker 1: I am a Hebrew. I worshiped the Lord, the God of heaven, who made the sea in the land. This terrified them, and they asked, what have you done? They knew he was running away from the Lord because he had told them so.
Speaker 2: The sea was getting.
Speaker 1: Rougher and rougher, so they asked him, what should we do to you to make the sea calm down for us? He said, pick me up and throw me into the sea and it will become calm. I know that is my fault that this great storm has come unto you who's ready to stand up and say I am a sinner, I am running from God.
Speaker 2: My heart is good. I've got a.
Speaker 1: Good heart, but I'm a little hard right here, and I know it's causing problems for you.
Speaker 2: For me, for this nation, for the church, Big Cea. I'm telling you, people of God, it's time.
Speaker 1: It's time to undress from all of the fancy posturing of perfection that we want to pretend we are.
Speaker 2: I am a sinner, and I have tendencies to do things that harm you and harm me. But the blood of Jesus, the blood of Jesus, is our answer.
Speaker 1: Instead, the men did their best to row back to land, but they could not, for the sea grew even wilder than before, if.
Speaker 2: That could even possibly be.
Speaker 1: Then they cried to the Lord, Lord, please do not hoid let us die for taking this man's life. Do not hold us accountable for killing an innocent man. For you a lord, you a lord, have done as you please. In other words, Jesus, I don't know who you are. Or maybe they just said God, I pray he was right. They took Jonah and threw him overboard and the raging sea grew calm. At this, the men greatly feared the Lord and offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made.
Speaker 2: Vows to him.
Speaker 1: The moment we as the church stand up and humbly admit our sins, humbly admit you and your family, When you humbly admit your sins, you and your own soul, when you humbly say, inside of your soul, Oh Father God, I will not run from you, I will not be in rebellion. I will embrace you every moment, every place, every opportunity.
Speaker 2: If we stand up and receive it.
Speaker 1: And humbly admit and humbly take a posture that says you're right, it's me.
Speaker 2: I need to repent.
Speaker 1: What you're doing is you're throwing yourself into the storm.
Speaker 2: You're not running from it.
Speaker 1: You're saying, I will become a part of what will fix this mess.
Speaker 2: Then they took.
Speaker 1: Jonah and through and the seagrew calm. At this the great the men greatly feared. When we take our place, salvation abounds. Verse seventeen starts with another word, but but the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in inside that fish. For three days and three nights. It was suicidal, unprecedented, and unreasonable to throw Jonah into that storm. It was unprecedented, suicidal, and unreasonable for Jonah to say, throw me overboard.
Speaker 2: It was me.
Speaker 1: But when he yielded to humility, let the Lord take his heart, take everything that he was, admit it, throw himself into the trouble, into the storm. It calmed it. It put Jonah into the storm. I will say there was another that threw himself into the storm of sin, of unrighteousness, of injustice, of every storm that every man, woman and child has created within their own souls and within their own sins. Jesus Christ threw himself right into that raging storm.
Speaker 2: And he was in the belly of.
Speaker 1: The tomb for three days. And I will say to you people of God, that when you turn and you face your storms, when you admit to your storms, and you throw yourself into it through repentance and through everything, and say no, no, I'm gonna quit running, I'm gonna quit fighting, I'm gonna this is my problem. I'll quit blaming, I quit all that, this is my problem, there will be one in that wave to meet you, and he's filled with love and strength and courage and hope. And when the people of God become ones that end all excuses, end all of that, and we throw ourselves into the storms of this life, the storms that I've created, and the storms that you created, and the storms that everyone. When I throw myself in, begin to not be indifferent any longer, but in to engage, to show up at the work party, to show up at work and share the word of God, and to do the things I have in my hand to do, and then to come to my place of prayer and not miss my own personal prayer meeting with the Lord.
Speaker 2: Every day we will see the raging storms.
Speaker 3: Came awaken, Church, Awaken, How can you sleep?
Speaker 2: How can I sleep? Awaken? Awaken to the storms of your own personal sins?
Speaker 1: Awaken, Awake and awaken, awaken and quit running, Quit pretending, boy.
Speaker 2: Can throw yourself under the storm. Jesus is there, Amen,