Speaker 1: Sammy, Sammy, Capital my dear Watson, let us return to our humble other.
Speaker 2: Two two one be Vaker Street, please carriat from London.
Speaker 3: We present The Greek Interpreter, a Sherlock Holmes story by Sir Arthur Kernhean Doyle, dramatized for radio by Michael Hardwick.
Speaker 2: The Greek Interpreter. Of course, I.
Speaker 4: Quite agree with your homes any individual as a great deal of his gifts if he has in it to his ancestry, look heredity. But what about your own case, my case, Watson. But from all you've ever told me.
Speaker 2: It seems obviously your remarkable faculties of observation and deduction, Come Holmeston, tell it from your own systematic training. You didn't inherit them, now, now, did you? To some extent? Yes? I think so.
Speaker 1: Or my ancestors were a country square. They led much the same life as the rest of their task. But remember what's in my grandmother as a sister of their name. The French artist who's.
Speaker 2: There going to do with it? Ah art in the blood is liable to take the stranger's form.
Speaker 5: Agreed, But what makes you think that in your case it is the county for such unusual gifts, because my brother Micraft possesses them too, Your brother did.
Speaker 2: Holmes. In all the time we've known one another, this is the first mention you've ever made of having a brother. Really, perhaps I should have referred to him before home. So shall I ever get used to your ways?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, Micraft has my gifts and had to a greater degree. I think that's about the first time I've heard you being modest, not at all. Nothing was further from my intention.
Speaker 1: I cannot agree with those who ranked this day amongst the virtues. When I say that Mycroft has better parts of observation than I, you may take it that I'm speaking the exact and literal truth. It's also true that he has neither the energy nor the ambition to use.
Speaker 2: Them in the way I do. It Is he your junior certain years? My senior? How comes it the one never heard anything about him? Oh? He's very well known in his own circle, well well in his club for example.
Speaker 1: Oh look here, just six o'clock. Now, Microft's always there from a quarter to five till twenty to eight. If you care for a stroll this beautiful evening, Watson, I'll be very happy to introduce you.
Speaker 4: Why will meet your brother Holmes set the mirring rob boots and I'm ready right away.
Speaker 1: Oh, my dear Watson, this is my brother Miccraft, Micraft, my friend and associate.
Speaker 7: Dr Watson, delighted to meet you out and I'm glad to meet you, Dr Watson of Charlock everywhere since you became his chronic Hoy will now and let us all have a seat by the window, anyone who wishes to study, then, kind this is the spot.
Speaker 2: It's suddenly splendid view of the street.
Speaker 7: Yes, look at the magnificent types in it. And look there those two men coming along.
Speaker 1: Now you mean the billiard marker and the other billiard marker homes How can you tell that the chalk.
Speaker 2: Marks on his waistcat of course. Oh and I'll told you too, I disease rarely, now, you fellows, this is too much, Shirley Watson.
Speaker 1: It isn't hard to say that the man with that bearing and expression of authority as a soldier.
Speaker 7: By the way, Sharlocke, I've had something quite after your own heart. Oh, yes, quite as singular problems come my way, my dear my Craft, I've been delighted to hear it I'll just scribble a note for the potter. There would be so good as to touch that bell, Doctor Watson Leason, This won't take a moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, give this to mister Mead, ask please, Yes, sir, he's good.
Speaker 7: I've asked mister Meads to step in here. He's a Greek by extraction. His lodge is on the floor above me. But I only know him slightly. I understand he's a remarkable linguist. He as he's living by interpreting in the law courts and acting as a guide to wealthy orientals. Ah, and here is mister Mead. Ass how would have you to step in? My DearS, allow me to introduce my celebrated brother, mister Sherlock Holmes and his associates, Dr Watson.
Speaker 2: How do you do?
Speaker 6: True, my dear mister Holmes, I cannot say how delighted I am to meet you, and you told Dr Watson, I am honored, gentleman, honor, and I love.
Speaker 1: My brother was beginning to tell us about a most singular problem when he paused to summon you, and I can only assume that you are in some way concerned.
Speaker 2: And ah, yes, yes, alas if you wish to submit the details to me.
Speaker 6: I shall be only to have it listen to them to tell you the truth, mister Holmes, I believe I shall be able to rest much more easily after telling this strange tale to you and doctor Watson.
Speaker 2: Then I am all attention. This is Wednesday evening.
Speaker 6: Well, then it was on Monday night that all this happened. Perhaps mister Microft Holmes has told you. I am an interty years. I am often sent for at strange hours on behalf of foreigners who get into difficulties. So I was not very surprised on Monday night when a very fashionably dressed young man came up to my rooms.
Speaker 2: Mister Miller, my name is Latimer.
Speaker 8: I've had a rather unexpected visit from a Greek gentleman with whose firm I have some business dealings.
Speaker 2: I see it. Well, the trouble is he can't speak anything but Greek. Yes, well it's a bit late.
Speaker 8: I realized that, well, he's a complete stranger to London, and I must do what I can for and straight away, you know, fix him up with a hotel for tonight and so on.
Speaker 2: So I took the liberty of coming to see if you'd help it all well, of course, thank you. Oh but tell me, mister Latimer. Have you your friend with you now? Well? No, actually silly organized, of course.
Speaker 8: But when he was pretty tired and I left him at my place, and without thinking, really, I just jumped into a cab and came here.
Speaker 2: But it's only this end of Kensington, and I wondered if I could impose on you to come back with me. Why I suppose the CAB's outside, it's not far at all.
Speaker 6: Very well, then, mister Latimer, I shall be very pleased to help you, or perhaps you will help yourself to one of the cigarettes while I put.
Speaker 2: On my thieves. You were lucky, I think, to find the vehicle as pleasant as this for your errand mister Lettimer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, these old four wheelers are getting faded at the edges, but give me them sooner than a handsome any time.
Speaker 2: I like some brillaty when I drive him.
Speaker 6: Are very convenient at time. But look, good, cook, our cave has made some mistake. He must know this is not the way the Kensing turns it. I think he has misharved your directions, mister Latimer. I'm afraid he hasn't.
Speaker 2: What are you doing.
Speaker 8: Oh why are you drawing the blanks, mister Latimer, What is the meaning of this? I'm sorry to cut off your view, mister Milers. The fact is we're not going to Kensington, and I prefer you not to know where we are going.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you, sir, I insist on leaving this carriage at once. Shut down, mister Miller.
Speaker 8: I have a life preserver here and I shan't hesitate to use it if you cry out or try anything on you think you can do this. Remember, mister Miller, no one knows you are here. This Cabby will ask me question. But you're in here or in the place I'm taking you to your equally in my tower. You understand, I understand, And sit still, keep quiet, and remember that no harm will come to you if you continue to do everything I say.
Speaker 6: We drove on like that for something like two hours, mister Holmes. It was ten minutes to nine by my watch. When we came to a stand still. I was hurried out of the carriage and through a low arched doorway with a lamp burning above it.
Speaker 2: I had a vague.
Speaker 6: Impression of lawn and trees on each side, and then I was inside the house I was shown straight into a room.
Speaker 2: There was a middle aged man with glasses sitting in a velvet chair. He turned towards us as I was brought into the room.
Speaker 9: Ah, hell, is this the gentleman, mister Millers? Yes, well done, well done. No ill will Miss Millers, I hope, but we just couldn't get on about you. If you deal fair with us, you will not regret it. But if you try, and I.
Speaker 6: Protest more strongly against this illegal detention, the police shall know of it.
Speaker 2: I warrant you. What we ask of you is simplicity itself. We want you to ask a few questions of a Greek gentleman who is visiting us.
Speaker 9: And tell us his answers. Harold, perhaps you'd ask the gentleman to step in here? Well, nothing, Sinsnette, mister Miller.
Speaker 2: Sister, why this disgraceful conduct towards me? Answer? That's up? Regret it, sir, regretted. Now let us look at it this way. You were ready enough to accept an evening's commission.
Speaker 9: In return for your usual fee. You will have your fee, mister Miller's, and double You will carry out your commission in exchange. You will then be taken back to London.
Speaker 2: Very well, I am here. I will do as you ask, so long as it accords with my normal services, and nothing more, though you you understand, agreed, Ah, And now there will be no more waste of time. Here is Harold with a gath.
Speaker 6: At that moment, mister Holmes, the other man let him her came back. He was leading a gentleman wearing some sort of loose dressing gown. As this man came slowly forward into the dim circle of.
Speaker 2: Light, I was horrified at his appearance. He was deadly, pale and emaciated.
Speaker 6: He had the protruding eyes of one whose spirit is greater than his strength. But what shocked me more than anything else, there was a great pad of sticking plaster.
Speaker 2: Over his mouth.
Speaker 6: Again, yes again, I see pray, continued mister Miller. The younger man gave him a chair and then put a slate and a slate pencil into his heads. Then the old one gave me questions to ask him, and he was to write the answers on the slate.
Speaker 2: Can you remember them very well? Splendid?
Speaker 6: But I must first tell you something, mister Holmes. As I was about to begin, a happy thought came to me yes. As the other two men in the room obviously knew nothing of the Greek language, I decided that I would be quite safe in interpolating questions of my own among those I was directed to ask.
Speaker 2: By this means, I might be able to find out who the captive was and why he was there, and I might even have been able to help him capital capital he might die. You you'll be pleased by that. Jaruk. Mister Mills isn't invaluable with missus Dad he is. Indeed, let us proceed. Mister Milass you were to ask questions, he was to write the answers. I will try to give you the regist of the interview.
Speaker 6: So far as these significant parts went, I began as steric. I am directed to ask whether you are prepared to sign the papers?
Speaker 2: Are no conditions? You know what is in store for you? Then the property can never be yours. What is your name? You shall go free if you sign? Where are you from?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 2: I warn you again what house is this? I found that his name.
Speaker 6: Was Kratidis and that he came from Athens. He didn't know where he was, and they were starving him another five minutes. Mister Holmes and I might have succeeded in getting.
Speaker 1: The whole story out of him. You did remarkably well, mister Melas. I congratulate.
Speaker 2: Then. Then, yes, I thought I should discover it all under their very noses.
Speaker 6: Only at that instant the door opened and a woman stepped into the room.
Speaker 2: I couldn't see her very clearly in the dim light, but I think she was tall and dark and wearing a sort of rose white gown. And I couldn't stay very longer. It is so long you done old a herald quick.
Speaker 9: To you now, Well, mister Milus, I'm sorry we couldn't have sped to that distressing scene. But whatever you're thinking about all this, you're quite wrong, quite wrong, I assure you. Here Ah five sovereigns.
Speaker 2: Take them now. The carriage will take her back to time.
Speaker 9: But remember one word of this to a human soul, and don't think we haven't her means of knowing. If you talk, we'll soon know.
Speaker 2: And that is all, gentlemen.
Speaker 6: I was bundled into the carriage and it drove off at a great rate. It was much too dark to see anything outside. After a long time, it stopped and I was told to get down. But before I could look round me. The coachman was back into his seat and whipping up the horse.
Speaker 2: I was left alone. How did you get back home? Then? I walked for a while, doctor Watson.
Speaker 6: Then I met a man who told me I was on Onsworth Common and pointed out the way to Clapham Junction.
Speaker 2: I got there in time for the last train to Victoria. Next day.
Speaker 6: I told the whole story to mister Mycroft Holmes here, Well, my craft isn't thing to add?
Speaker 2: Do me this in to day's daily news.
Speaker 7: Anybody supplying any information as to the whereabouts of a Greek gentleman named Paul Katidis from Ethens, who is unable to speak English, will be rewarded. A similar reward will be paid to anyone giving information about a Greek lady whose first name is Sophie.
Speaker 2: About Stanber, etcetera, etcetera. And I had that put it all the day. There is no answer, though, how about the Greek location? They know nothing? Awa they have been policed. Then he sure not has all the energy of the family.
Speaker 7: Who see, gentlemen, will you take over the case by all means, my dear, rather let me know if you do any good.
Speaker 1: Certainly a word of warning there is to be less. I should certainly be on my guard if I were you. They have seen those advertisements, they'll know you portray them. I should be very careful. Indeed, yes, let me ah splendid missus Hudson has left us a fine father, great heavens my craft.
Speaker 10: How did you get here? I handsome passed you on the way. But we don't come in and make ourselves comfortable, gentlemen. Yeah, you don't expect such energy from me, do you shall? As a type of uncharacteristic.
Speaker 7: The fact is I've had an answer your advertisment, Yes, came just after you who had left.
Speaker 2: I thought you'd want to see it once we do. Indeed here it is written with a J.
Speaker 7: Penn On wild cream paper by a middle aged man with a weak constitution. Sir, he says, in answer to your advertisement of today's date, I beg to inform you that I have met the young lady in question several times.
Speaker 2: In this district. She is still living, to the best of my knowledge, at the markles Beckonum yours basfullly. J. Devenport. Sure King you might be able to tell you something more interesting.
Speaker 1: Dear Micraft, I'm most grateful to you and mister Davenport for that matter. But I think we'll see him later. In the meantime, we know that a man has been gradually done to death, and the sooners we get to him, the better.
Speaker 2: I mean, you will go straight through the muffles in. Yes, come along, Watson. Are you coming? Micraft?
Speaker 7: Well, if you don't mind, I think not. It's it's rather late for you thirty for excuses. I understand ready on wasn't.
Speaker 2: I think I'll take my revolver. It sounds a dangerous lot, and I think we'll call at the yard inspect that Gregson should be interested in this. Perhaps we'd be wise to pick up mister Neil has two holms. We may need an interprene quite.
Speaker 11: Bread goodbye, then, Mike Cart, good bye. We'll keep you involved. Yes, gentlemen, we should like a word.
Speaker 2: But mister Miles, please, I'm afraid mister We expected to be back from his cub by now.
Speaker 12: Yes, sir, he came back an hour or more ago, but he's gone again, gone gone out, sir. Carry a carriage. You don't mean a cathy, sir, Definitely a carriage. A gentleman called for mister Lee lesson they went off together, mister Latimer. If didn't get his name, sir, but if you like to wait a moment, I'll find out.
Speaker 2: No, no, never mind, good night to you. Good night sir. They got for to be less again. What it looks like it? That means two lives in danger? Now scon of as fast as you can come, well, becon it.
Speaker 1: Yes, the house is in darkness, instector, looks as though our birds have flown on the next empty doctor watching?
Speaker 2: Is it worth going in? It's always better to take a look. You will never know what you may pick up. Hm.
Speaker 1: I can't see much through this window. The place has that deserted air about it, though you can feel it somehow.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know what you mean. Hello, well's film he was he had a minute ago, must be taking a parlor on? Ah, there he is? Where have you been, homes? I've got a window open round here. Come on. It's a good job you're on the side of the FoST mister Holmes. My little Jimmy has saved me a few bruised shoulders in my time. Now in don't know court, and now I'll follow you. Hmm, so far so good. Now what have we here someone had a meal in a hurry.
Speaker 1: There on the table a meal for two two plates, two glasses that they be significant.
Speaker 2: Toomed. What's that that room in there? No zones right, try huse what's left? I got to get in open the window two to it there? Can you can you get them out quick?
Speaker 6: Leave it come and.
Speaker 2: The room will see now it'll soon clear. Now how do you feel, Watson?
Speaker 13: I'm all right, drafts soon clear it away, just in time for these so I think, well, not just in time?
Speaker 2: Are they both? This is me less? He's a word, I think, yeah, it's dead, Critidis, poor devil's been tarred to a skillet. Here's he kind of headlong's last. Thank you?
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, then we do get in for the time being, and us just get across to the nearest police station and get things moving behind this.
Speaker 2: Let them on the other we've little enough to go on at the moment.
Speaker 14: I dow and if you'll send someone out here to get poor critidious body, Dr Watson, and I will take this to me loss back to make the street for us. A few more questions when he comes around properly might give us something more to welcome.
Speaker 2: Very good I'll see you later at Baker Street.
Speaker 6: Mister Holmes, doctor Watson, I don't know how to begin thanking you, but for your timely arrival.
Speaker 1: Pray, try to pray it from your mind to me less we did arrive in time. Now, what have you to tell us about your second kidnappy?
Speaker 6: On this occasion, I was not persuaded to go to that house a life presser who was presented to my head and I was ordered to go. I was forced to interpret yet another interview with that poor Cratidis. He was much weaker, who could scarcely hold the slave pencil. It was impossible for me to communicate secretly with him this time.
Speaker 2: What did they want?
Speaker 6: He said, said too yes, But the grave fellow refused every threat. But they finally saw it was useless and bundled him roughly out of the room. Then they turned on me over the newspaper advertisement. I wonder if your brother was not a little history putting that in, mister Holmes, possibly her, but.
Speaker 1: Remembered mister Mills. But for the answer which came so suddenly, we should certainly never.
Speaker 2: Have found you.
Speaker 6: Ay, yes, well, they left me in no doubt as to their intentions. But they were going to kill Cratidis and me had ma pot their own escape, and I suppose because they thought they should never leave.
Speaker 2: To tell it to anyone else. They told me their unsavory story.
Speaker 1: Ah, Watson, will you begger enough to take a note of this, Inspector Gregson may had it invaluable.
Speaker 6: Well, there is not much to it really. They told me that the young lady is Sophie. He came from a wealthy Grecian family, and that she had been on a visit to some friends in England. Over here she had met the younger of the two villains, had Letimer, and he had persuaded her to elope with him. Her friends had immediately informed her brother Paul Kratidis in Athens. He had come over here at once, but unfortunately for him, had fallen into the power of Lettimer and his associate.
Speaker 2: His name, by the way, was Wilson Kemp.
Speaker 1: Stem that rogue and then the foulest Antecedents. This will make Gregson's task easier, oh well. But the kratdis got into the power of these two, and they set out to starve.
Speaker 6: Him into agreeing to sign papers making over his own and his sister's property to them, as I thought they had kept him prisoner without the girl's knowledge, and when she saw him when I first went there, it was the first time she knew of his presence.
Speaker 2: They immediately put her under lock and key too.
Speaker 6: Then, when they saw the newspaper advertisement and knew their secret was out, they decided to make a final attempt through me to get cratedis to sign. He wouldn't, so he and I were to be left to die while they took the girl away with them and got well clear of the country.
Speaker 1: Here the country that'll give us some leaders to their route the channel board zones. Yes, Watson, take your notes and offer you to see Gregson as fast.
Speaker 2: As you can go. Daddy, be kind to head why Gregson? This is fortunate.
Speaker 1: Indeed, God rand as soon as I could. Gentlemen, good morning, mister Melas. How are you feeling, sir?
Speaker 2: Oh much better, Thank you, Inspector, and happy to meet you at another one who helped to save me.
Speaker 1: Don't mention it, sir, Wells the hold inspector, Doctor Watson here, we're just about to hurry around to see you. The villains gave mister meet as a complete account of this affair. Well, I saved your journey, doctor Watson.
Speaker 2: Early. In any case, it would have been a pity to waste your time. Waste my time, inspector.
Speaker 1: But you've got them already in a manner of speaking, zone, Come, come, Inspector, no riddles, pa, you see. The bodies of the two men were found in their carriage on the outskirts of Folkston in the early hours of this morning. They had both been stabbed several times stopped.
Speaker 2: The girl not to be seen, nor the coachman, though from the way.
Speaker 1: His hat was found at the roadside and tracks led off across a muddy field. He had bolted for his life, afraid of getting the same as his masters, and the knife lying in the carriage between the two bodies.
Speaker 2: It quarreled.
Speaker 6: Perhaps yes, and perhaps Sophie Crattidisa the coachman both ran away in different directions while.
Speaker 2: Those two murdered one another.
Speaker 1: Well, you could put it that, Perhappers, the hat said, But better if it were put down to something along those lines, Inspector, much better, mister Holmes, very much better, because it's our duty to look for that girl. Sophie crities. She might know a somewhat different version of what happened, if she could be persuaded to tell us, yes, all the same, I think we shall allow one or two cross channel steamers to sail before we begin looking being too hard for agreed.
Speaker 3: Mister Holmes agreed. Inspector agreed. That was the Greek interpreter. The radio play was dramatized by Michael Hardwick from the story by Sir Arthur Kerman. Doyle Carlton Hobbes played Shelock Holmes and Norman Sherry doctor Watson.
Speaker 2: The production for the BBC was by Martin C. Webster