Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomy podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone. Today, we are doing a deep dive into well, one of the biggest mysteries out there about our own planet's history. It's a real cold case, it really is. We're talking about the moment Earth fundamentally started to breathe, the event that really set the stage for all complex life.
Speaker 3: For us, the Great oxidation event. Yeah, the goe and Yeah. The scale of this change is it's hard to overstate, really billions of years where Earth was basically an oxygen free zone, reducing.
Speaker 2: World holding its breath as you put it, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Then some are around two point one to two point four billion years ago, things flipped dramatically. Suddenly there's this massive release of oxygen into.
Speaker 2: The atmosphere, changing everything forever.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. But here's the kicker, The big puzzle scientists have wrestled with. Right, the microbes responsible, these tiny little things called cyanobacteria. They figured out how to make oxygen way way before the goe actually.
Speaker 2: Happened, hundreds of millions of years earlier. Right, that's the baffling part.
Speaker 3: Could be three hundred maybe even five hundred million years. Think about that gap, it's enormous. You've got the oxygen factories, they're built, they're running, technically capable of pumping out oxygen, but.
Speaker 2: The atmosphere isn't changing. The lights are off globally speaking. So the question's always been why why the huge delay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if the generators were online, what was stopping the grid from powering up?
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: There have been theories, of course, good ones like volcanic gases just sucking up all the oxygen or other microbes eating it exactly.
Speaker 2: Those are definitely part of the picture, but they they never quite seemed to fully explain that incredibly long, stable delay and then the sudden shift. It felt like something was missing.
Speaker 3: A bottleneck somewhere.
Speaker 2: A bottleneck. Yeah, And that's where this new research comes in. It's work out of Okayami University, led by doctor Dylan Retnayek, published recently, they took a different angle. Instead of just the big planetary sinks, they looked smaller exactly.
Speaker 3: They zoomed right in on the microscopic level, the ecological factors. What was actually controlling the growth of the cyanobacteria themselves? Could they thrive or were they just sort of sputtering along?
Speaker 2: Okay, So finding the precise control knob at the microbial level.
Speaker 3: That's the idea, and their research points to two maybe surprisingly simple compounds, nickel and urea.
Speaker 2: Nickel and urea, Okay, that's not what usually comes to mind with planet scale changes.
Speaker 3: Right, but this study suggests they were the keys, first locking the oxygen supply down and then eventually unlocking it.
Speaker 2: So that's our mission for this deep dive. We're going to unpack exactly how nickel and urea could have acted as this biogeochemical bottleneck. We want to give you that aha moment connecting the dots between tiny microbes and the whole planet's atmosphere. Let's get into it, Okay, So let's set the stage properly. Section one, the Great oxidation delay. We need to appreciate just how big a deal the GOE was.
Speaker 3: It's truly a fundamental turning point. Before the goe. You've got what's called a reducing atmosphere. I think lots of compounds that readily react with oxygen, reduced iron, sulfur, methane, things like that dominated.
Speaker 2: So any free oxygen that popped up would just get instantly consumed by the surrounding chemistry pretty much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the environment had a huge capacity to soak it up, and when oxygen did start to build up significantly, it was actually well toxic, a crisis for much of the life that existed back then, which was anaerobic didn't use oxygen.
Speaker 2: Right, Oxygen was poisonous to early life.
Speaker 3: It's ironic, it is, But it was this very crisis, this environmental shift, that ultimately paved the way for us for complex multicellular life that needs oxygen. This transition marks the boundary between the Rchean and Proterozoic eons roughly two point four billion years ago.
Speaker 2: And the agents of this change, the little heroes or villains depending on your perspective, back then, were the cyanobacteria.
Speaker 3: These incredible microbes. They perform oxygenic photosynthesis. Basically, they take sunlight, water CO two stuff that's everywhere and turn it into energy for.
Speaker 2: Themselves, and oxygen is the waste product.
Speaker 3: Oxygen is the exhaust. Exactly a revolutionary invention.
Speaker 2: But an invention that, based on genetic evidence, seems to pre date the GOE by a massive margin.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The molecular clock studies looking at the genes of modern cyanobacteria and tracing them back strongly suggests the evolution of this process happened maybe three hundred maybe five hundred million years before the atmosphere actually registered it. The tech was there, the impact wasn't.
Speaker 2: So let's revisit those earlier theories for the delay. You mentioned the big sinks, right.
Speaker 3: Traditionally the thinking focused on these massive planetary buffers. One was geological vultvolcanic activity. Early Earth was much more volcanically active, pumping out loads of producing gases hydrogen, sulfur, dioxide.
Speaker 2: Methane, gasses that just react instantly with O two.
Speaker 3: Instantly, So it's like a giant geological vacuum cleaner constantly running sucking up any oxygen the cyanobacteria managed to produce that kept levels incredibly low.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense. What was the other main idea?
Speaker 3: The other focused more on chemical sinks. Within the oceans themselves and maybe other microbes. The oceans were full of dissolved iron, for example, which rusts oxidizes very readily, So.
Speaker 2: The oceans themselves were acting like a giant rust bucket, consuming oxygen effectively.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Plus maybe other early microbes, non oxygen producing ones, were super efficient at gobbling up any organic matter or trace oxygen that appeared a biological sink working alongside the chemical ones.
Speaker 2: So you had this planetary tug of war cyanobacteria producing oxygen on one size.
Speaker 3: And volcanoes, ocean chemistry and maybe other microbes consuming it on the other side.
Speaker 2: And the argument was that these forces were just perfectly balanced for half a billion years. That seems improbable.
Speaker 3: That's the tricky part, isn't it. Maintaining such a perfect, delicate balance for such an incredibly long time and then having it suddenly fail. Yeah, it always felt a bit well, unsatisfying plausible. Sure, those factors were important, but maybe not the whole story.
Speaker 2: It didn't explain why the producers the cyanobacteria didn't just eventually overwhelm the sinks earlier exactly.
Speaker 3: The older models focused heavily on oxygen consumption. They didn't look as closely at factors that might have been limiting oxygen production in the first place by suppressing the cyanobacteria themselves.
Speaker 2: Which is where the okay, i'ma study pivots. They're looking at these cyanobacteria's diet, essentially their immediate chemical environment.
Speaker 3: That's the core idea. Looking for ecological constraints. Doctor Ratnac's team focused on trace elements and simple organic compounds, things that might be present in small amounts but could have huge regulatory effects on life.
Speaker 2: And they zeroed in on nickel and urea. Why those two They.
Speaker 3: Had a hunch based on biochemistry that these two might have this interconnected, really crucial role in limiting cyanobacterial growth. Specifically back in the rke and eon. They suspected an ecological control mechanism was the real bottleneck, something that didn't need a new evolution to overcome, just to change in the environment to release the brakes.
Speaker 2: Finding that microscopic switch in a giant planetary system, I'm hucked. All right, let's dive into the evidence itself Section two. How they actually tested this. This wasn't just computer modeling, right, They did lab experiment.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, really, rigorous experimental work. It had to be done in two parts. Really. First, they needed to establish that their key players, Nickel and Urea, were actually plausible components of the early Archean ocean around say four to two point five billion years ago before the goe kicked off.
Speaker 2: Makes sense. You can't have them be the bottleneck if they weren't even.
Speaker 3: There precisely, So, Experiment Part one was all about abiotic Urea formation. The question us could urea, which we know is a vital nitrogen source for life, actually form without life, making it through purely chemical.
Speaker 2: Processes abiotic meaning non biological origin exactly.
Speaker 3: And they needed to simulate the conditions of early Earth, which were pretty brutal. Huw So well, the big thing is the lack of an ozone layer. Back then, Earth's early atmosphere didn't have much oxygen, so no ozone shield like we have today. That meant intense high energy ultraviolet radiation, specifically UVC was just blasting the surface, including the oceans.
Speaker 2: And uvc's pretty nasty stuff.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We use it for sterilization, we do.
Speaker 3: It's a highly energetic breaks down molecules, but that energy can also drive chemical reactions that wouldn't normally happen, so simulating that UVC exposure was crucial for accurately mimicking the prebiotic environment. If a reaction needed UVC, it might have happened then, but not now.
Speaker 2: Okay, so intense UV light. What ingredients did they put in their simulated primordial soup.
Speaker 3: They used a mix of simple stuff thought to be common back then, things like ammonium, cyanide and dissol iron compounds, basic building blocks readily available from volcanic outgassing or hydrothermal vents.
Speaker 2: And they zapped this mixture with UVC light.
Speaker 3: Yep, they exposed these mixtures to UVC radiation and then analyze the results to see if urea CONH two had formed, and did it it did. They confirmed that urea could indeed form abiotically under these plausible early Earth conditions.
Speaker 2: Why is that single finding so important for their overall argument.
Speaker 3: It's foundational because if urea could only be made by complex biological processes, then its availability in the Archian Ocean might have been really limited or patchy. Maybe that was the bottleneck, just not enough nitrogen in a usable form.
Speaker 2: But if it forms abiotically.
Speaker 3: Then it was likely just there a constant background component in the ancient oceans, produced by sunlight hitting common chemicals. It wasn't a rare nutrient that life had to invent ways to make. It was an environmental factor life had to deal with, for better or worse.
Speaker 2: So urea was likely present. Step one confirmed. What was step two? Experiment Part two?
Speaker 3: Right now? They needed to see how varying levels of this urea along with nickel actually affected the growth of the oxygen producers themselves. So testing cyanobacterial growth.
Speaker 2: And they needed a stand in for ancient cyanobacteria.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they used a well studied robust species called Cinachucoccus SPPCC seven thousand and two. It's a modern cyanobacterium, but it's often used as a model organism because it grows relatively quickly and its basic photosynthetic machinery is thought to be representative of those early forms.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, So how do they set up the growth tests? What were they controlling?
Speaker 3: It was all about careful control. They grew the senachure caucus under standard conditions, things like controlled like dark cycles to mimic day and night. But the key manipulation was the growth medium, the soup the sanobacteria lived in.
Speaker 2: They tweaked the recipe exactly.
Speaker 3: They created different patches with systematically varied concentrations of urea and nickel. Some batches had low urea, some high, some at low nickel, some high. And importantly, they tested various combinations high er low nickel, low uryhine, nickel high, high, lo low, all the possibilities, reflecting potential archeane conditions.
Speaker 2: Covering all the bases. And how did they track if the microups were actually growing well or not? How do you measure that?
Speaker 3: They use standard microbiology techniques. Two key metrics. First, they measure the optical density of the liquid culture, basically how cloudy it gets. As the cyanobacteria cells multiply, the culture becomes more turbid, blocking more light passing through it. More cloudiness equals more biomass.
Speaker 2: Okay, a measure of overall growth yep.
Speaker 3: And Second, they measure the concentration of chlorophyll. That's the main pigment cyanobacteria use for photosynthesis, So tracking chlorophyll gives you a direct measure of the photosynthetic capacity of the culture. How much oxygen making machinery is present.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 4: Two?
Speaker 2: Different ways to measure success. And what did they find? Was it just more urea, more growth?
Speaker 3: Not at all. It was much more complex. It wasn't a simple case of urea being just food. They found this intricate relationship, this dual role where the combination of nickel and urea concentrations was the critical factor.
Speaker 2: Doctor Rutnaya called it complex yet fascinating.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the quote. The key finding wasn't about the absolute amount of urea, but the ratio of nickel to urea. That ratio scene to dictate whether the cyanobacteria could actually flourish or if their growth was actively suppressed, even if there was plenty of nitrogen theoretically available in the form of urea.
Speaker 2: So it wasn't simple starvation. It was something more like interference.
Speaker 3: Exactly, pointing towards more subtle chemical control mechanism rather than just basic nutrient limitation.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is where it gets really interesting. Section three. Unpacking the biogeochemical bottleneck model itself. How did high nickel and urea actually work together to suppress life and delay the GOE?
Speaker 3: Right, this is the core of their proposed mechanism. To understand the bottleneck, you need to picture the rkey in ocean chemistry. The model suggests that back then concentrations of both nickel and urea were significantly higher than they are today, and crucially, it was this combination of high levels that acted as the suppressor.
Speaker 2: Okay, hang on, I'm still slightly stuck on why hy urea would be bad. We established it's a nitrogen source, and nitrogen is essential, right for proteins, DNA, everything, it is essential absolutely, and nickel isn't that also a trace nutrient needed for some enzymes? So why would having more of these essential things be bad? It feels counterintuitive, it does.
Speaker 3: Seem paradoxical, but the devil's in the biochemical details. It goes down to a specific enzyme called.
Speaker 2: Urese eurese Okay, what does that do?
Speaker 3: Cyanobacteria, like many organisms, can't use urea directly as is. They need to break it down first into simpler, more biologically available forms of nitrogen like ammonia. Use is the enzyme that does this job. It catalyzes the breakdown of urea.
Speaker 2: Okay, so use is the tool they use to process the urea food exactly.
Speaker 3: And here's the crucial link to nickel therese enzyme absolutely requires a tiny amount of nickel to function. Nickel acts as a cofactor, fitting into the enzyme's active site and helping it do its chemical work.
Speaker 2: So they do need nickel.
Speaker 3: They do, but only in trace amounts. Here's the problem. The Archean oceans were apparently swimming in nickel compared to today.
Speaker 2: Why so much nickel back then?
Speaker 3: It's linked to the Earth's geology. At the time, there was much higher geothermal activity, lots of deep sea hydroluminal events spewing out dissolved metals, and also a specific type of magnesium rich volcanic rock called comati eate was much more common than These rocks are very rich in nickel, and as they weathered or interacted with sea water, they released a lot of nickel.
Speaker 2: So nickel concentrations were way higher.
Speaker 3: Potentially orders of magnitude higher, maybe four hundred times the concentration we see in modern oceans based on geological evidence, way way above trace nutrient levels.
Speaker 2: Okay, so too much of a good thing. What happens when the ures enzyme encounters these super high nickel levels along with high urea.
Speaker 3: That's where the inhibition comes in. When nickel concentrations get that high, it stops being just a helpful cofactor and starts coming up the works. The excess nickel ions essentially compete for or interfere with the active site of the ures enzyme. They block it. They interfere, Yeah, especially when the enzyme is already trying to bind and process lots of UREA molecules. Because the UREA concentration is also high. It's like the enzyme gets overwhelmed and effectively poisoned or jammed by the sheer abundance of nickel ions hitting it while it's trying to work on the urea.
Speaker 2: Wow. So the cyanobacteria are floating in this ocean full of potential nitrogen fuel urea, but the tool they need to use that fuel, ureas, is constantly being sabotaged by the massive overdose of nickel.
Speaker 3: That's the bottleneck mechanism. In a nutshell, They're effectively starving for usable nitrogen right in the middle of the urea feast because their metabolic machinery to access it is chemically inhibited by the nickel overload.
Speaker 2: So they can't grow efficiently, they can't divide rapidly and form massive blooms.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Their proliferation is suppressed, you might get small, localized, short lived blooms perhaps, but not the sustained planet wide explosion of cyanobacteria needed to overwhelm the oxygen sinks and fundamentally change the atmosphere. The nickel urea combination acted like a powerful break on the whole system.
Speaker 2: That explains the lights off period, the great delay. The factory was built, the fuel urea was there, but a key piece of machinery UYS was jammed by nickel.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what released the break? What caused the tipping point for the goe?
Speaker 2: According to this model, the trigger wasn't some new biological invention or mutation in the cyanobacteria. It was a gradual, large scale change in Earth's geochemistry that naturally lowered the nickel concentration in the oceans.
Speaker 3: The planet itself changed the conditions. How why would nickel levels drop?
Speaker 2: This links back to major geological shifts happening around that time, roughly two point five billion years ago, the Earth's mantle was slowly cooling down less internal heat, less internal heat, which meant overall volcanic activity likely decreased. Somewhat Crucially, the formation of those super nickel rich comatite rocks largely ceased. The source of excessive nickel started to dwindle.
Speaker 3: Okay less input from volcanoes and at the same time large stable continental land mass as Cretans were forming and growing. The emergence of continents changed global weathering patterns. More land surface means different types of chemical weathering, potentially locking up nickel and minerals on land rather than letting it wash into the sea.
Speaker 2: So less nickel coming in from volcanic sources and maybe more getting trapped on land or in sediments. The overall supply.
Speaker 3: Dropped exactly the input decreased, the sinks might have changed, and gradually, over millions of years, the concentration of dissolved nickel in the oceans fell. It dropped from those incredibly high inhibitory archaean levels down to something much closer to the trace nutrient levels we see today.
Speaker 2: It crossed a threshold below the level where it poisoned the urresenz that's.
Speaker 3: The critical idea. Once nickel dropped below that toxic threshold, the urease enzyme was finally free to work efficiently again. Cyanobacteria could now effectively utilize the urea that was still present.
Speaker 2: The metabolic break was released.
Speaker 3: The break was off with non inhibitory nickel levels, candobacteria could access the nitrogen they needed, and they began to proliferate massively globally, sustained large scale growth.
Speaker 2: And that sustained massive growth finally produced oxygen faster than the geological and chemical sinks could keep up.
Speaker 3: That is the Great oxidation event, triggered by the geologically driven decline in oceanic nickel.
Speaker 2: Wow. That really reframes the whole story. It wasn't about waiting for life to figure out oxygen production. It was about waiting for the planet's chemistry to allow the oxygen producers to truly take over.
Speaker 3: It puts the timing squarely in the core of planetary geochemistry, controlling microbioly ecology. The moderation of nickel, and by extension, the effective usability of us Rhea pave the way for the oxygenated world.
Speaker 2: A much clearer, more mechanistic explanation for that huge delay. This is fascinating just for understanding Earth history. But you mentioned earlier this has implications beyond our own planet. Let's get into that in section four. So what for searching for life elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this is where the research really connects to astrobiology. Doctor Ratniak explicitly points this out. If we want to find life on other planets, understanding the mechanisms that allowed life here to fundamentally reshape its environment is critical.
Speaker 2: It's not just about finding life, but finding life that's had a planetary impact.
Speaker 3: Or understanding why it hasn't even if it exists. We often assume that if life evolves, it will inevitably boom and change its planet, maybe producing biosignatures like oxygen that we can detect. But this study is a powerful reminder that life can exist for vast periods while being ecologically suppressed stuck.
Speaker 2: So when doctor Ratnek says this sheds light on biosignature detection, it's not just about looking for oxygen.
Speaker 3: It's about looking for oxygen in context or perhaps explaining its absence. Imagine we find an exoplanet that looks potentially habitable with the right temperature, maybe signs of water. We analyze its atmosphere, maybe we don't see much oxygen.
Speaker 2: We might assume life isn't there or isn't photosynthetic.
Speaker 3: Right, But this research gives us another possibility. Maybe life is there, Maybe it even invented oxygenic photosynthesis, but it's stuck in its own great oxidation delay because of a chemical bottleneck. Maybe its star system or planetary geology keeps baiting the planet in high levels of nickel or some other inhibitory trace element.
Speaker 2: So we need to consider the planet's geochemistry, its likely trace element environment, alongside the atmospheric gases.
Speaker 3: Exactly the star's composition can give clues about the elements likely abundant in its planets, The planet's age and infer geological activity matter. It adds a whole new layer to interpreting potential biosignatures. We shouldn't just look for the smoke oxygen, but also for the damp wood, the chemical inhibitors that might be preventing the fire from starting.
Speaker 2: And this has direct relevance for missions we're planning now, like Mars sample return.
Speaker 3: Very direct. The paper mentions this provides a new framework for the sample analysis strategies. When those precious Martian rock and soil samples eventually get back to Earth labs.
Speaker 2: We'll be hunting for fossils organic molecules.
Speaker 3: Yes, but we also need to be meticulously analyzing the trace element chemistry of those ancient Martian environments. If we find sediments from a time when Mars might have had liquid water, maybe even signs of ancient microbial mats or textures, we absolutely need to measure that the nickel concentration in those same layers and look for evidence of nitrogen compounds like urea or its.
Speaker 2: Precursors, because if we find signs of past life but also evidence of super high nickel levels from that same era, it.
Speaker 3: Could provide a powerful explanation for why Martian life, if it ever arose, might never have reached the scale needed to oxygenate the planet like earthlife did. It might have been stuck in its own biogeochemical bottleneck.
Speaker 2: It shifts the question from just was their life to were the conditions right for life to thrive and reshape the planet.
Speaker 3: Precisely, It's a more nuanced, ecologically informed approach to the search.
Speaker 2: And broadening out beyond Mars to exoplanets orbiting distant stars. We can't get rock samples there obviously, not yet anyway.
Speaker 3: But we can analyze the light passing through their atmospheres looking for chemical fingerprints.
Speaker 2: So the interplay between inorganic stuff like nickel and organic stuff like urea was key on Earth. We should expect similar complex chemical controls on other worlds.
Speaker 3: It seems highly likely biology doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's constantly interacting with its chemical environment. Different star systems will have different elemental abundances, Different planets will have different geological histories, different levels of vulcanism, different atmosphere compositions. It's almost certain that other bottomeeck elements or compounds exist out there, controlling the fate of potential biospheres.
Speaker 2: So the big lesson for alien hunters is don't just look for the oxygen.
Speaker 3: Or rather understand that oxygen's presence or absence might depend heavily on these subtle chemical constraints. Look for the conditions that allow oxygen producing life to dominate. Is the environment chemically permissive or is there some trace element like nickel was on early Earth acting as a planetary handbrake.
Speaker 2: It really adds layers of complexity, but also makes the search potentially more revealing Thinking about these chemical governors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it tells us that planetary habitability isn't just about having the right temperature and water It's also about having the right trace chemistry. Too much of even a necessary nutrient can stall life's ability to transform a world for billions of years.
Speaker 2: Incredible that for maybe half a billion years, the entire trajectory of complex life on Earth hinged on the concentration of nickel jamming up one specific enzyme.
Speaker 3: It really puts things in perspective, doesn't it The intricate dance between geology and biology. So let's wrap this up. We've covered a lot of ground, from twenty microbes to planetary atmospheres we.
Speaker 2: Have and the core takeaway from this deep dive from the Okayama University research is pretty revolutionary. I think that huge baffling delay in the Great Oxidation Event wasn't primarily about waiting for evolution to invent something new.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The machinery the cyanobacteria capable of making oxygen was likely there for a long long time. The delay was fundamentally about chemistry and.
Speaker 2: Ecology, specifically, the high levels of nickel in the Archaean oceans, acting in concert with high levels of urea. The nickel effectively poisoned a key enzyme urease.
Speaker 3: Preventing the cyanobacteria from efficiently using the available nitrogen, which suppressed their growth on a massive scale. It created a powerful biogeochemical.
Speaker 2: Bottleneck, and the planet only started breathing, kicking off the goe when long term geological changes cooling, mantle changing, volcanism, continent formation caused the nickel concentration in the oceans to drop below that critical inhibitory.
Speaker 3: Threat, releasing the break, allowing santobacteria to finally bloom globally and pump out enough oxygen to permanently change the.
Speaker 2: Atmosphere, and the ripple effects go way beyond Earth history. This gives us a whole new framework for looking for life elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Definitely, it tells us to look beyond just the presence of potential biosignatures like oxygen and consider the enabling or inhibiting chemical context. Are there trace elements acting as bottlenecks on other worlds. It adds crucial nuance to how we interpret data from Mars or distant exoplanets.
Speaker 2: It makes this incredibly complex billion years story suddenly click into place, connecting microscopic enzymes to the fate of the entire planet. Hopefully, you the listener, feel like you've got that aha moment now understanding the nuts and bolts of this ancient bottleneck.
Speaker 3: So we'll leave you with a final thought to mull over building on this idea, if a chemical bottleneck high nickel levels held back Earth's oxygenation for maybe half a billion years, what subtle chemical factor, what unseen trace element might be playing a similar role right now on an exoplanet that otherwise looks perfectly right for life.
Speaker 2: Could there be countless worlds out there teeming with microbial life, just patiently waiting for their own planet's nickel concentration or something equivalent to finally drop so they can kick off their own great oxidation event.
Speaker 3: Makes you wonder what the universe might look like in another billion years, doesn't.
Speaker 4: It, said us used