Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 2: Natu Key Mark talks about pontificates about pop culture, Ron and Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: Kf I YouTube Later with Mo Kelly, Mark Ronner, Take It Away. The second and final season of and Or has hit Disney Plus, and I believe I saw ABC running at least the first episode open wide for some trailer.
Speaker 4: It came with you to be part of something the Empire cannot weird. It's a different kind of mission. If it goes a big flames, it will burn very brightly.
Speaker 5: But if I'm giving up everything I want to win, we have to.
Speaker 4: We must stand together.
Speaker 6: We will be crushed.
Speaker 4: Resistance System sign it's a weapon. They're building a weapon.
Speaker 2: The monster will come for us. All evolution is not for the same. You're right here and you're ready to fight. There's a future here for those who dare.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the rebellion.
Speaker 3: So we got to talk about and Our season two, but no go up front. I don't absolutely love all Star Wars. I think maybe half of what's out there is watchable. And before the market was flooded with more Star Wars, movies and shows and cartoons. It got by on sheer goodwill without a decent movie since nineteen eighty, which was the Empire Strikes Back. The Prequels were awful, The Three Abrams movies were awful, The Mandalorian and Rogue One were great fun and nerds can debate this stuff instead of experiencing sexual intimacy all they want. But over and above all that, I don't love Star Wars because I like science fiction, and Star Wars infantalized science fiction from the minute it came out in nineteen seventy seven and for decades afterwards. Something becomes a hit and everyone wants to replicate it. Star Wars brought everything to the level of what children would sit through, starting with noises and dogfights in space, Darth Vader being the most on the nose, Snightly Whiplash, name having villain ever, and the list goes on. And if you want to argue about Darth Vader, having a bad guy with that name is about as remedial as having a home record character named Sluttie mccorrington. But one of the good things about having a glut of Star Wars stuff to watch is that there's now a little something out there for everyone, and and or, well it's not and or part of the conjunction junction cartoon and conjunction junctions.
Speaker 2: What damption?
Speaker 4: I got.
Speaker 5: Pretty far?
Speaker 3: My god, I love Jack Sheldon's voice. Yes, and but or I mean and or No, Bud. It's a smart show for people not completely stuck in their ten year old selves. And it's got a lot going on, here's the deal. Rogue One came out nine years ago and it was a prequel to the first Star Wars movie about how the Rebels got the plans to the Death Star that allowed Luke to blow it up by shooting it up the tailpipe, which itself is kind of like taking down an aircraft carrier with a piece of gum, but whatever. And Rogue One was based on a reference from Star Wars in the opening crawl. During the battle Rebels spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the Death Star that's in the crawl at the beginning. I refuse to call the first movie a new hope, just like I refuse to call the Gulf of Mexico the Gulf of America. It's always going to be Star Wars and even though I'm against the strip mining of every reference and turning it into its own movie, and I can rest my case with the awful solo movie. Rogue One was a real shot in the arm, lots of fun. And Or is a prequel to Rogue One, which was a prequel. It follows the rebel Cassian and Or, who we know is going to die in Rogue one as he becomes part of the rebellion. Diego Luna plays and Or, and despite the fact that the show's named and Or, he's just part of an ensemble of characters and storylines and sometimes he's the least interesting thing about the show. Stellan Scarsgard plays a character named Luthan who's a sort of a spy and spy handler. He's always been a heavyweight, and it's really cool to see somebody with his chops do a show like this. It's sort of like seeing Richard Burton pop up in an old Batman episode. And no, that didn't really happen. Christopher Lee, Sure, yeah. Listen to this clip from the first season when somebody Luthen is sending out on a mission has been to ask him what he's sacrificed, And what do you sacrifice?
Speaker 5: Calm, kindness, kinship, love. I've given up all chance at inner peace. I made my mind a sunless face. I share my dreams with ghosts.
Speaker 6: I wake up every day to an equation I wrote fifteen years ago, for which there's only one conclusion.
Speaker 5: I'm damned for what I do. My anger, my.
Speaker 6: Ego, my unwillingness to yield, my eagerness to fight. They set me on a path from which there's no escape.
Speaker 3: I yearned to be.
Speaker 6: A savior against injustice without contemplating the cost, and by the time I look down.
Speaker 5: There's no longer any ground beneath my What is my sacrifice?
Speaker 6: I've condemned to use the tools of my enemy to defeat them.
Speaker 1: I burn my decency for someone else's future.
Speaker 5: I burn my life to make a sunrise that I know i'll never see now.
Speaker 6: The eagle that started this fight will never have a mirror, or.
Speaker 5: An audio or the light of gratitudes. So what do I sacrifice?
Speaker 6: Everything?
Speaker 3: Jesus sir, this is a Wendy's drive through. I just asked a basic question. When I say, and or himself is sometimes the least interesting part of the show. He spends in the first two episodes of this new season getting his ass captured and doing nothing. The intrigue has taking place elsewhere, particularly on a different planet where man Mathma, not a Kaiju, is getting over getting her She's running her daughter's wedding and dealing with dangerous rebel finance stuff that could get her killed. And there's a scene of her getting so spooked by the danger she's in that she gets high as f and is dancing by herself at the wedding pretty inspired. Tony Gilroy is the creator and head writer of and Or, and he's one of those guys whose name means you watch whatever he's got out. Along with co writing Rogue One, he wrote some of the Bourne movies, directed one of them, and also one of my favorite movies of this century, Michael Clayton in two thousand and seven. I've only seen the first three episodes that are available of and Or, but I'm in for the duration, and critics who have seen the whole season in advance have high praise for where things go. The elephant in the room that people are buzzing about is that this is Star Wars with some seriously edgier content, which includes the first Star Wars attempted rape of a character, at least I think it's the first. I never trusted jar Jar kind of a creep.
Speaker 2: The ability to speak does not make you intelligent, and I get out of here.
Speaker 4: No, no, missy, missy.
Speaker 3: Ever won't be necessary. Well done, and if there's more than that, if you've got the nerve to google, but beware. Okay, I'm not going to spoil any more than that by saying who or what are under what circumstances this happens. But it's appropriate. It fits with what we know about occupying empires in the real world. It fits with Russians in Ukraine, it fits with Nazis. We're always going to have the Ewoks. But this is more complex material about resistance against a tyrannical empire, how people become involved in it, the cost of it, and also how people within the empire are seduced by power and do things they know are evil. So I'm all in frand or and the Rise of Skywalker can still suck it. One quick PostScript here. You may not know the name Donald F. Glute, but he's best known for being a part of the Star Wars family as the author of the Empire Strikes Back novelization and a million other things from Shazam and Land of the Loss on tv x men, tons of comics. I don't know Don real well, but we've been at some signings together conventions We've talked. Earlier this month, Don Glute posted that he'd been the victim of identity theft and was totally cleaned out. He started to go fund me, and it's worth your time checking it out and deciding if you want to lend a hand. I believe Don's in his early eighties, which really isn't the ideal time to start from scratch. See what you think. You can read the details by searching for gofund me and support Donald F. Glute glut in Overcoming Financial Loss. That should be on your screen right now if you're watching online, enigmatically titled I Know I've been scanned before myself and it sucks. These people can be quite clever, as clever as they are ruthless. A lot of us are struggling or preparing to struggle right now. The terror for session seems pretty much guaranteed, and the student loan people will be paying me a visit to take out my kneecaps very soon. I know Don Glute will appreciate any help you feel like giving. And then sometime maybe we can have him on the show to talk about some of the cool stuff he's done, particularly the Spider Man cartoon from the eighties. That's your honor. Report. Further deponent saith not mo i, saith nothing okay, Mark
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six meter