Speaker 1: It's seven five herefig about parsed talk station. Try to have a happy Monday. Into the subject matter we've been focusing on this morning rather disgusting and horrific, and to talk about that subject matter, of course, the fight over the weekend, the severe beatdown of a man as well as the cole cocking, just punching of what a seemingly innocent bystander trying to help out and render assistance knock to the ground. To speak to that matter, the FOP president Ken Koberra returns to the morning show. Chief our president of the Sin Saints Fraternal or Police. It's great to have you back on, Ken. I wish it was under better circumstances, but I appreciate your willingness to speak with my listeners of me about this.
Speaker 2: Sure, good morning, Brian, thanks for having me now.
Speaker 1: The one puzzling thing threes thij, the chief of police, said something to the effect that she wasn't even aware that this had happened. She saw the viral video the following day or that day. Later in the day, about six pm, she issued a statement. This was three o'clock in the morning. I guess post concert, there are about ninety thousand people downtown for the concert. Presumably folks went to the bars and the Dora district there afterwards, and we're still milling around downtown. That seems to be an area where you might expect the chief or whoever's responsible for allocating resources to have police presence. There doesn't appear to be any police involved in the era, even in the area. Can you speak to that, Ken, Well, you know, you had.
Speaker 3: A lot going on downtown. Of course, we're spread thin. There's only so many of us to go around. You know, we get calls for service and we end up responding to them. I mean, that's not the only way you can put It was three in the morning, so all the events have wrapped up from Music Fest and then it was just another night of the bars downtown.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately. Well, well, I guess.
Speaker 1: It was reported in multiple news outlets there was only one nine to one one call.
Speaker 2: Is that accurate? I believe there were two or three.
Speaker 3: But yes, I mean you would think something like this that many people there, But yeah, there, I mean, so few people call nine one one, and you know, I talked about it over the weekend. It's it's disgusting that you had people that would rather just watch in videotape rather than you know, if you don't want to get involved in completely understand, call the police because we can't be everywhere and unless we know something's going on, you.
Speaker 2: Know, you can't get there.
Speaker 3: But the fact that people just stood around and then didn't, I mean, there were a couple of people that finally tried, you know, to diffuse a situation after the guy in the grounds getting kicked in the head thirty forty times, and then I guess they decided that was enough.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just an absolute mob mentality and it's nonsense. This kind of thing shouldn't be happening in our society.
Speaker 1: No question about it. Now, I understand you're working to identify every but he's involved quite a few videos floating around. But I also understand that city cameras are in or in the area. Are there cameras mounted close by to where this unfolded.
Speaker 3: There are cameras there, you know, whether it captured it. Some of these cameras are on like an oscillating system. So that's all be all part of the investigation. And these investigators have been working around the clock to not only identify them, but then to find.
Speaker 2: Out why did this happen.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of speculation as to you know, who started it, who didn't start it. At the end of the day, what could have started out as a mutual fight that ends when you're on the ground and you're getting stomped, Yeah, fifteen twenty people, when you're defenseless, that that's not a mutual fight.
Speaker 2: That is just a savage.
Speaker 1: Attack, without question. And I honestly, and when you put it in that context, it doesn't matter what started the who started the fight. It could have been the guy that got the ultimate beat down and was almost murdered that night, But does it really matter if he's the one that started the whole altercation between one other person, It shouldn't at a wit so there was reported Local twelve reported Christianhauser has headlined police union leaders she was talking to you, I guess, says several suspects identified in brutal downtown since at attack. Have the police actually identified some of the suspects, because there's no specific reporting in the bulk of the article that says just that.
Speaker 3: Oh no, they've identified several people already been getting tips.
Speaker 2: You know that it can use you know video cameras. That's great.
Speaker 3: You know the people that want to instead of calling the police and want to sit there and videotape this stuff and then put it on the internet.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic because at least they.
Speaker 3: Were doing something, because now it makes it a lot easier when the police have several different angles to be able to identify some of these perpetrators. So, yes, there have been people identified. They're still looking to identify more people. So why we've asked, you know, people either call crime stoppers or call the Central Business Section three five two five four four five as the investigator's line number to be able to get the rest of these people identified.
Speaker 2: So hopefully we'll get them all criminally charged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's easy to lament the idea that people just stand around a video camera things. I personally don't understand that. It doesn't matter m my position relative that the last thing I ever think of is pulling my phone out to even take a picture at a family event. But this is very helpful for law enforcement. So even if you're not willing to make a phone call to the police and say, hey, that was my brother in law that punched that woman in the face, but at least they took a video of it, so it helped you identify them. But that the component that really bothers me so much. We live in a world where we're willing to alienate family members over politics and not answer the phone or call them up anymore, and and end ties with them. If you if you're hanging out with or otherwise friends or relatives, as someone who would do something as horrific as just walk up and punch a woman right in the face or otherwise kick a man, well, he's obviously incapacitated him down. That's not somebody I'd want to hang out with, and that's someone I'd be more than happy to drop a dime on all.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt.
Speaker 3: And you know, you talk about this time after time after time with juvenile violence, adult violence, But what I saw on social media this weekend, there were there were a group of people that were actually trying to defend this guy being savagely beaten and then this woman getting knocked out. People are trying to defend it, saying, oh, this is okay, and this is why, and it's like and then kids see this and they're seeing grown adults trying to justify these savage attacks, and that's exactly why we are where we are as a society.
Speaker 2: It's quite honestly, it's really disgusting.
Speaker 1: It is thoroughly disgusting. And while I am happy that some of the community leaders came out and spoke to this, we had, you know, some council people. Mark Jeffries I think was outspoken on and he said they need to be prosecuted the fullest extent of the law as of this morning, and Joe and I both did separate internet search. Is not a word from the mayor. What's your reaction to that? Ken?
Speaker 2: The silence is deafening, well exactly.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have the Vice mayor that's come out, council members, chief has talked about this, and absolutely nothing from the mayor.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I don't either, So solutions. I mean a lot of people calling in making fun of the whole idea of where were the drones? Where were the drones? Sort of tongue in cheek, like what could a drone do? Anyway? But in terms of what you would hope to be a reaction to this, I mean, I think it represents an ultimate opportunity for us as a city. To turn the page on lacks law enforcement and project ourselves to the nation because this made national headlines. Man, and actually it was reported globally a couple of global newspapers it included this in it as well. But for us to finally step up collectively from the mayor through council, the prosecutor's office, and maybe get these judges to start paying attention, we need to be a law and order city in order to counterbalance this really negative perception of the city of Cincinnati being a place filled with violence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the only way that these things are going to stop is if the people are actually held accountable and they put them all in prison. That then that will send a message to the public that if you come down here and you act like this, there are going to be consequence there. They are going to be real consequences, and you're gonna go to prison. That and only then is when we will actually maybe see some of this stuff stop. But until then, I mean, they believe right now there's no consequences.
Speaker 2: That's why they do these things. And they said they.
Speaker 3: Know they're on camera, they know it's likely that they're going to get identified. But if they're not held accountable. This will continue. I'd love to see a headline six months or a year from now, four people sent to prison for this brutal attack.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is what will send a message to the public.
Speaker 1: Well, and quite a few conversations here in the Morning Show this morning about use of deadly force. You know, if you're in that guy situation, you obviously are in fear for your life, You're obviously experiencing grievous bodily harm. Many people suggest that, well, if he had a firearm, he might have been to defend himself. You're in a very busy public area. Now, that does not negate the ability to use deadly force, but it creates an opportunity for maybe an innocent bystander to get harmed in some way. But your take on the justification for use of deadly force had that guy been armed, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it absolutely would have been justified.
Speaker 3: You know, you're being surrounded by ten to fifteen people kicking your head, stomping you. You kick somebody in the head, you're stomping on their head. You are clearly trying to cause them serious physical harm.
Speaker 2: You have the right to defend yourselves. You know, maybe that's what needs to happen. Maybe that's for people to realize that you can't do this again.
Speaker 1: That's exactly where I hope you were going to conclude not only severe punishment from the authorities and prosecution to the fullest extent of the law as an illustration of what's going to happen to you, but maybe a member of the public defending themselves with deadly force under those circumstances, reminding the rest of the population that, yeah, there are a whole bunch of armed people out there and this might be a really, really bad idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the only that's other than the headlines of these people going to prison. That's the only other way that people are going to start thinking twice before they.
Speaker 2: Act this way.
Speaker 1: FOP President kan Cover, God bless you, sir. Keep up the great work. And you know, the fifty five cares Morning Shore listeners have the CINCINNTI Police Department's back, and we'll be happy to drop a dime if we have information that might lead to an arrest. Three five, two thirty forty crime stoppers a number. Take care, Ken, stay well, my friend.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks for having me, Bran.
Speaker 1: It's always a pleasure, take care seven to fifteen right now. But if I have cares to the talk station, gee, I wonder what Christopher Smitheman is going to be talk about in his Smither vent