Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Depictions Media Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Policy and Rights Show.
Speaker 3: Welcome Government Policy, Human Joy.
Speaker 4: This is Policy Rights, the show about government policy and issue rights. I'm Kelly Reeburn or DJ Ray if you want to refer to me as my host of Gums and Maples. Today, I'm going to talk to you about the options, my own opinions of why public transit is better as you me or me know. On my last episode, I talked about the clip of RFK Junior's report and the autism in Australia. Thanks to Michael's rearranging on the Community Living podcasts and his sharing sharing of my clip to Poulising Rights Podcasts, and of course you can share and like the podcast and to subscribe to this podcast and more of some of the features that I'm working on and Michael's working on towards the pictures media Radio and anyways, on this edition of Paulsying Rights, I'm going to be talking about the focus and the differences between Adelaide's Metro Transit and the Greater Vancouver's Translink. For an example, before I put in the two clips of both Adelaide Metro's meeting, I'm not sure they have an actual meeting or not in particular. And the translinks, I mean, they're one of their translink meetings happened earlier around the year, so I'm going to go on to that now. I mean, here are some facts about the Adelaide metro transit system. Adelaide has a frequent bus services going to in and out of the city. They have about seven lines from the city and of course the longest line is about forty two kilometers from the city heading north. A major component of the Adelaide metro bus services is the Ogubon Guided Busway, which which carries out from Adelaide to Maudbury. It's a suburb of Welbury, carry around nine million passengers a year. From its opening date in nineteen eighty six to about to twenty eleven, this was the longest bus railway services that links from twelve kilometers. It remains the world's fastest busway with a maximum permitted speed of ninety kilumnars per hour. Their buses carries about three operating companies, Torrents Transit Busways and Keiloi Downer which is known as SouthLink. And finally, they do have a streetcar line going from Adelaide to the shores of Glennelle, running every ten minutes during the daytime and twenty minutes on evenings for Metro Vancouver Translink not including of course, not including major roads and bus in the Metro Vancouver has two operating companies, coost Mountain Bus Company and the municipality of West Vancouver that also has a Sea Bus, Skytrain and West Coast Express. I for myself as a writer, I've been writing on public transit services for both sides of Vancouver and in Adelaide. Now here's the difference between the two. Translink is funded by the local government, city governments in Metro Vancouver and the provincial government, whereas Adelaide Metro is funded by Adelaide and the South Australian government. Translinke Metro buses in Metro Vancouver are equipped with machine ramp for disabled wheelchair passengers, whereas Metro Adelaide Adelaide Metro drivers have to get off the cab the driver's cab to lift the handle and unfold the ramp for wheelchair passengers. If you live in the suburbs, some of the buses will do operate every thirty minutes on weekends. In Metro Vancouver, whereas Adelaide will run every sixty minutes on weekends. Adelaide Metro buses do not carry bike racks on front of the buses, whereas Translink buses will have bike racks in front of the buses. As for the train services, if you were to ride on Adelaide Metro to the suburbans on weekends, mostly they will operate from every thirty to sixty minutes, depending on your destination. If you're going from Adelaide to the northern part of the suburban of Gower, it will be every thirty minutes, heading back thirty minutes and heading back to the city. It can be either the local stops or the express bus. If you're saying you're going to stop closer the city from that area, say Killbourn, it would leave about every sixty minutes on weekends. Unless you're living to the southern part of the city, whereas my mother and I are living at most of the trains will be leading We'll be leaving every thirty minutes with an express service to Adelaide. Because there's a second line that goes towards Flinders on the same line, splitting the line into rain in the middle of the section of the line. Another thing to note on Michael's going to be listening to it, or if anybody's listening to podcast is in the Metro Vancouver area where if you were to take a bus from the southern part of Metro Vancouver, say for example, you're leaving from white Rock to Langley, and you would can't take the bus five point thirty one to take from the metro city of white Rock over to the city of Langling and it will take you about forty minutes down there. Adelaide is completely different. Let me tell you that. Anyways, in Adelaide, if you wanted to, say, for example, want to leave from Scheidale Park or Helicove Beach going towards Mount Barker area, chances are you're going to take a train over to the city first and then take another bus that goes connected to Mount Barker, And of course the distance will be for that time on weekends will be about close to about two hours, whereas by car, if you weren't going to towards the city, it would be about forty five minutes. That's that's a that's not not right, because I'm I'm of course I am a transit passengerurnal I do want to do some things for Mount Barker and especially if I wanted to do this this proadcast to another radio UH community partners with with with Mount Barker area. If I wanted to do some some stuff, and I mean, I'd probably not be the only one who's going to be doing this, because I've probably mentioned from other people that they do live in the suburban areas that they don't want to have a bus that goes right towards the city linking another bus to Mount Barker. So so there you go. Some suggestions I did mention. One suggestion is to have a rapid bus leave from the train service from Seaford and leave from the Seaford area going towards Port Adelaide via Commercial Yes there is a commercial Dyson Road Lonsdale. Yes there is a Linsdale, but it's not the key like in North Vancouver Brighton Road stopping areas in Glen can you change airport and to the station to port station in Port Adelaide without entering the city of Adelaide for that matter, Or again, another bus leaving from Seaford to Mount Barker going through not going through the city. There are six inner regions in Metro Adelaide in of course it's the Outer South, North, South, East, West, Outer North, Outer Northwest and the Hills. Not one bus will leave from Outer South and going across the hills for bus leaving to the Hills, going from the Hills to Outer North. And don't get me started with the regional buses. If I were wanting to go see my grandaunt who lives in murray Bridge, again, I would have to do the usual train or bus to the city, take another bus going to Mount Barker, and then one of the regional buses that'll go to murray Bridge. Keep in mind on weekends the only about operate about three trips per day on Saturdays and two trips on Sundays. Very difficult. And I love my grandaunt so much. I think she's about ninety six or ninety seventy years old now and she's part of my life, part of my mom's life as well. So there you go. I didn't get started on the angel buses. I did mention about that. Of course, those are the two different on both Adelaide and Vancouver. So now I'm going to give you two clips of the.
Speaker 5: Stuff.
Speaker 4: One clip is on City of Adelaide. It's the clips about an hour and twenty eight minutes on April twenty second. I don't know if they're going to mention about public transit service, but they might.
Speaker 6: You never know.
Speaker 4: In Adelaide the volume is a bit softer, so I managed to increase the volume up on Audacity and then the next clip will be, of of course, the Translate Zoom meeting that happened on March twenty sixth. That estimated times about one hour and forty minutes. So two clips hopefully on transit issues. Now we'll talk to you again soon. If you want to email me, you can email me guns and Guns and Equals. That's g U M.
Speaker 3: S A and D M A.
Speaker 4: P l Es at gmail dot com. Or if you want to contact Makeall for any other Depictions Media stuff, you can go to his email address at Michael at Depictionsmedia dot com. Look for in See you next time on policy rates.
Speaker 7: Enjoy City of Adelaide Council meeting on Tuesday twenty second, April twenty twenty five. The Lord Mayor is in the chair. This council meeting will be streamed live and recorded for publishing to the Internet. Please note that an audio and visual recording is being taken of this meeting. This means that your presence at and any contribution you make to the meeting may be collected, used, disclosed or published publicly by the Council, including transfer outside Australia.
Speaker 6: Good Evening Council acknowledges that we're meeting on the traditional country of the Gharana people of the Adelaide Plains and pays respects to elders past and present. We recognize and respect their cultural heritage, beliefs and relationship with the land. We acknowledge that they are of continuing importance to the Ghana people living today, and we also extend that respect to the other Aboriginal language groups and other First Nations people who may be with us this evening. The Council acknowledges the vision of Colonel William Light in determining the site for Adelaide and the design of the city with its six squares and surrounding built of continuous park lands, which is recognized on the National Heritage List as one of the greatest examples of Australia's planning heritage. We pray for wisdom courage, empathy and understanding and guidance in the decisions that we make while seeking and respecting the opinions of others. Maybe in this meeting, speak honestly, listen, attentively, think clearly, and decide wisely for the good governance of the city of Adelaide and the well being of those we serve. I now ask all present to stand in silence in memory of those who gave their lives in defense of their country at sea, on land, and in the air. So we had two apologies this evening, one from Councilor Chorus and one from Councilor Abrahim Zaday. In terms of the confirmation of minutes, because there were several meetings conducted on the eighth of the fourth, the fourteenth of the fourth, and the fifteenth of the fourth, there are actually I think five minutes.
Speaker 8: Counselor I was just wondering if we could send the security ad home, given we probably don't need security support.
Speaker 9: I saw them waiting in the center. Unless there's a I'm not in joy.
Speaker 6: For all of them.
Speaker 8: I just I don't think we need to spend the right payers money for a mob that's not going to turn up.
Speaker 6: Gold to ask if someone will be good enough to move the all the minutes moved by by Counselor Martin, seconded by Counselor Snape, all those in favor, all those against. That's carriage unanimously, thank you members. Presumably they will be handled in a way yep. Does anyone have a declaration of conflict of interest? No, I'll move on. We have no deputations, we have no petitions. Then we'll move to item eleven, which is the Ordit and Risk moved by Counselor Martin, seconded by Councilor Snape. Is there in debate on.
Speaker 10: I did just have a question in relation to this, Lord Mars and having a look at the strategic Risk Register that we're presented with, I noted that there's no indication as to what the residual risk is after treatment. So I may have read that incorrectly, but I was just wondering whether that's intentionally blank, or whether that's a piece of work it's about to be done.
Speaker 6: My understanding was this was a draft format because the Ordit and Risk Committee had complained about the way we presented the risk, and they complained and suggested an amendment to the format, and the way it was laid out. So this meeting was just looking at the new format without all the data populating the area.
Speaker 11: Is that that's correct, Lord me, and so Lord Mayor through you, when were the fully completed strategic riskerread just to be a viable for members.
Speaker 6: I'll have to pass on that request.
Speaker 7: Miss spartelis in terms of timing.
Speaker 12: Through the presiding member, the intent is to take that new format, engage with each of the risk owners and to I guess, assess the effectiveness of those controls, to look at that residual risk with a view to presenting that to Sharia. I can commit to do that probably in the next two meetings I believe, which is probably a Dune Shurier meeting, and then we'll bring to audit Risk Committee and then Council after that.
Speaker 6: My understanding was the ARK said they liked the presentation and requested the administration to populate it in the months ahead. So councilor Davis, did I see your hand rise?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 8: With this goes a report has actually been tabled and adopted by Council. Because I don't recall it coming to this chamber.
Speaker 6: I didn't quite hear the.
Speaker 9: Question with this goes a report.
Speaker 8: We saw a cut down, slided up version. But has the full report of this of Ascosa been presented to council and adopted with its recommendations adopted in full or not through.
Speaker 13: The presiding member?
Speaker 7: My understanding is the draft of the business plan of budget presented for consultation at committee this evening. Yeah, meet the requirements of the Escosa review.
Speaker 9: Yeah. So it's quite frustrating, CEO.
Speaker 8: When I ask a question, I'm really asking for the answer to that question. I'm asking has the Escosa report in full been presented to this council? Have we acknowledged that report and accepted its recommendations?
Speaker 7: That'll happen at the special Council meeting on the twenty ninth a day Priak.
Speaker 8: Counselor, okay, so that's when we will be accepting the Escosa report.
Speaker 6: Questions or points to be made? Can I put that to the voter? Do you launch a sum up counselor all those in favor, all those against. That's carried. Thank you, members. We will now move on to Item twelve and Counselor Martin, I think you chaired this meeting. Are you happy to take this on block? Or do you.
Speaker 14: Wish I'm happy to take it on block load and do.
Speaker 6: I have a second counselor Giles, do you wish to comment on this? If not, or do you wish to sum up? Sorry?
Speaker 10: Sorry, just I didn't realize we're moving through it so rapidly. Just did want to speak in relationships.
Speaker 6: A bit naughty, I did. We've closed the debate. I'm sorry.
Speaker 10: I just want to ask question of relation to the Integrated Transport strategy, so i'd know that there were comments made at the committee meeting last week.
Speaker 3: There was an undertaking.
Speaker 10: I'm making some amendments to the Integrated Transport strategy. I can see that they haven't been.
Speaker 6: Can we just.
Speaker 7: We've given undertakings to make some amendments pride of moving out the constution.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's why they're not in there yet. They will be there before they go out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you all those council I'd like to speak to it.
Speaker 6: Well, we have closed the debate. If you have one quick question we will take it.
Speaker 9: But now let's speak to the motion.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, we've closed the debate. All those against that's carrit Thank you members. I'm sorry I was going rather fast thirteen. Item thirteen that's councilor Sement trips, City Finance and Governance Committee. Do you wish to move it on block?
Speaker 3: And I'm happy to move it on block, I'm expecting.
Speaker 6: Do you wish to second it on block or do you wish to look?
Speaker 14: I have an amendment to seven point five, Lord Mira, and I wonder if we might treat all of the item as two items, that is all but seven point five and seven point five separately.
Speaker 6: Okay, So councilor Sement trip moving two, three and four, that's sorry, recommendation one, two and three, could that be seconded by counselor snape any debate on those three? All those in favor.
Speaker 3: I just do you want to speak to it briefly, Lord mayor?
Speaker 6: Around I didn't imagine sum up.
Speaker 3: Just around the budget process.
Speaker 10: So I think it's worth noting that we're obviously we in a week's time we have the budget that will be presented before us, and really recapping that we've been through quite extensive process. Now, we started in December last year, and by my itally we've had at least ten meetings, including a number of special meetings across the course. There We've looked at capital and strategic projects, operating costs. We've seen the draft budgets for Ada Akma Catatilla.
Speaker 3: We've had a rate review tonight. We've looked at the scoes of finding.
Speaker 10: So this has been through nearly what are we looking now nearly five months worth of.
Speaker 6: What is your point of order?
Speaker 8: The point of order is going through the history of It doesn't relate to the fees and charges, which is the motion for the Council. If I was trying to go on something like this, i'd been shut down and kicked out. I think that that's the same rule be applied to Council seven trip Counselor Davis.
Speaker 3: You'll find that we're taking.
Speaker 6: A rule against you, Counselor Davis, because this is emotion about the business plan and budget, which is the whole thing. So I think Council Sebentritt, who's the chair of the committee, is actually on track.
Speaker 10: I'm speaking specifically, Lord, they're just clarify for everyone's benefit. I'm speaking sparticularly in relation and Recommendation number two, which I believe does relate to endorses the finalist of strategic projects, capital projects, et cetera. So I'm just talking to the process that we've been through, noting that it's been very thorough and rigorous, and we're looking forward to receiving the budget before us in a week's time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Lord Mayor.
Speaker 6: That is summing up, And unless there's any dissident view, we'll put all those in favor all those against. That's carrit So we'll now go to seven point five.
Speaker 14: And yes, thank you Lord Miron. I do yes, I have an amendment to seven point five and I wish to replace two. And I will read it slowly, and I do apologize for not circulating it to the administration.
Speaker 6: Oh you've got I think we have it here. This must have counselor. I think it must have somehow miraculously gone onto the screen without you knowing about it.
Speaker 14: Well, no, I was going to table previously, so that's probably why. So there's a new two and it requests administration arrange social media training for council members with Wollman's lawyers prior to June thirtieth, twenty twenty five, to be funded from the remaining twenty four to twenty five council member Training Development budget. And I would like a second Counselor Snape, thank you, Lord may Look, I have amended this. It is an important subject and look, I want to be the first to acknowledge that social media is an invaluable tool for elected members in order to convey the decisions of council and to participate in community discussions generally. But Lord Mayor, and I'm speaking generally about local government in South Australia in my comments here. But Lord Mayor, some terrible misinformation appears in social media from time to time. Some of it is well, it's misinformation and it has the potential to destroy confidence in point of topic institutions like local government.
Speaker 6: At BOD Counselor, I think we have a point of order.
Speaker 8: How is waxing lyrical about misinformation appearing on social media going to help with a council elected member scheduling to receive training in thirty journe It's either we get the training or we don't.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so that's what it is. So why don't we just move the motion? Move on? Where's councilors are.
Speaker 8: Going to wax lyrical about it around on your Instagram?
Speaker 6: If the councilor wishes to speak on his motion, I think it's fair he does so well.
Speaker 8: I just think it's disrespectful criticizing your instagrams.
Speaker 6: Don't argue, Counselor I have I have actually asked you to accept that I have not accepted your point of order. I go back to Counselor Martin, who has the call, has the flaw and is speaking to his motion.
Speaker 14: Lord Miir, I'm let me make clear I'm not criticizing your Instagram account or any of your posts. So thoroughly enjoyed them, some of the more than others, Lord me, some of the more than others. However, misinformation on social media is a glaring problem, and I think it's important for the elected members of this Council, for all of us to understand what are our obligations and our responsibilities to the community and to the Council. And the best way to do that is to invite Warman lawyers to conduct a session that will point out to us the pitfalls and ways in which we can make social media a positive tool for the City of Adelaide and for local government in South Australia. It's just a training session. I don't expect it to solve problems World Peace.
Speaker 13: Lord Mayor but I do.
Speaker 14: Think it will go someway to helping all of us better engage with social media.
Speaker 6: Could I just ask one question about Warmer's lawyers. Do we normally identify the provider? I'm not quite sure how we came upon Woman's.
Speaker 7: We have identified Woman's based on a specific offering the providing through the Local Government Association for this particular module a trade.
Speaker 6: So just to recoup that this was a recommendation in the previous advice to council a couple of months ago. Thank you, sorry, I'm.
Speaker 8: Going to move against the entirety of the motion, largely because of the schedule aligns with four of our councilors not being a member of the council. So it doesn't it make a lot more sense to wait until our new comrades join us, rather than embarking on a training exercise without them. My suggestion would be that we amend this schedule until after they elected and appointed as elected members.
Speaker 6: So could I just from the chair ask the CEO if the decision about this is because there's remaining funding in the budget. That is the case, Lord me, Thank you. Would anybody else like to have a question?
Speaker 9: A question?
Speaker 6: Look councilor Davis, you want another question.
Speaker 8: Why can't we just roll the budget, like roll any remaining training budget which is unspent in this year to the next year with how many people would die as a result of waiting until our counselors come back so that they can participate in this training or and secondly, what is a mad rush to have strategic sustainable debt understanding?
Speaker 9: It's a question as a question, why we have a mad rush? Why don't we wait until the.
Speaker 8: New elective members join us?
Speaker 13: Yes, thank you, lord, mayor look.
Speaker 3: This, Sorry, there's a point of order. Point of order.
Speaker 9: I have two questions.
Speaker 14: One well, Lord, point of order requires the person point of order point the local government's.
Speaker 8: Counsel martin counselor Martin run the chair or the chair runs a chair. My point of order is that I had two questions and they won't answered. The first question was why can't we roll over the budget to the next year? And secondly, why can't we delay this training to a more suitable time?
Speaker 6: I understood the question was this anyone going to die? And I thought that was facetious. But if anyone can answer this question, please help me.
Speaker 7: In terms of the question regarding the roleover of the training budget from the current financial year to the following. We have a general financial principle supported by the Council that we don't carry forward operational funds.
Speaker 14: Yes, thank you, Lord may And look, the answer is it is imperative we have this training before someone dies of laughter or alternatively anxiety because of the social media posts.
Speaker 13: That we all desperately.
Speaker 14: Need to understand how to actually make and present in local government in South Australia.
Speaker 13: This is a small step.
Speaker 14: The City of Adelaide I Hope is one of the first councils to undertake this sort of media training and I do believe that all of it would be grateful to the administration for arranging it as quickly as possible.
Speaker 6: Thank you. The division has been called.
Speaker 4: Members, The division has been called in relation to the motion before you please stand in favor of the motion until your name has been called.
Speaker 15: Counselor Martin, councilor Snape, councilor Giles and Councilor of Steventry.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Move to fourteen point one, which is the appointment of a counselor to the position of the Deputy Lord Mayor for the period twenty three April until the first meeting attended by the newly sworn in Central Ward Councilors. Do I have any nominations?
Speaker 16: Counselor sn I nominate counsel Martin.
Speaker 6: Counselor Martin. Are you prepared to accept it? Thank you very much. Any other nominations.
Speaker 8: I'd like to scare a general conflict of interest and I'll leave the chamber.
Speaker 6: Glarification. Could you actually tell me what is the type of this conflict?
Speaker 8: Given the public nature, I don't believe that a reasonable person would consider that I would operate as a fair minded individual in relation to voting for this item.
Speaker 9: So I'll vacate the chamber. I thank you.
Speaker 6: He doesn't have to, but if you go, we'll lose the quorum. So I believe you don't have to leave, and you haven't identified the cause of your conflict. It's important that a member recognizes the rules require the member's interest in the matter whether or not the member proposes to stay. When we know who doesn't and what the details were. We haven't been given that information, so I'm not sure if that counts as a behavioral standard. Yeah, I think we're unable to take a vote on that. I think we have a nomination, but we can't vote because the councilor Martin will have to leave the room and then we will be in quorate. So I'm going to have to adjourn the meeting because the quorum collapses. I'm sorry. So we're going to seek an adjournment of that item, and you could vote for a German I suppose, but all those in favor of adjournment, I'm sorry. Five minutes. Yes, we could wait for five minutes, but I don't. Can I just take advice. I don't believe he's going to come back. I'm sorry for the gallery. We're just trying to work out the location of our council. So fourteen point two. This was dependent I think on the Deputy Lord Mayor's position. Oh sorry, this is a proxy. I apologize. So is anyone prepared to be the proxy council member for the ordered to risk? It has no remuneration.
Speaker 15: Councilor Giles, I'd like to nominate Counselor Martin.
Speaker 6: Councilor Martin, are you prepared to take on that nomination?
Speaker 14: Provided no one declares the general conflict gains?
Speaker 6: Thank you? So we will insert counselor Martin's name a proxy member without remuneration. So could we take that to the votal move? Can I just have a mover in a second and move by councilor Giles, signed by councilor Snape, all those in favor, all those against. That's carried. Thank you, Members one two point three. I'm seeking advices to which counselor would be prepared to join the reconciliation committee. Councilor Giles, are you nominating someone.
Speaker 15: I'm our nominated counselor Snape?
Speaker 6: Councilor Snape, are you prepared to accept it? Thank you? Could we put this is unremunerated again? So could I ask people to move this to someone? To move this? All those in favor, all those against? Sorry, I think the councilor seven frisk second?
Speaker 15: Did it?
Speaker 6: Counselor Giles move councilor seedentry second, all those in favor those against. That's carry Thank you, members. Oh, the Lord Mayor's a report at number fifteen. Thank you. Many of you will have enjoyed the gather round in the last week. It was Stella. I have to have so many happy visitors from interstate enjoying the locations, not just at the Oval, but also Elder Park and Rundell Moore, as well as eating and drinking across the city. They were a cheerful and joyful group of people. The festival was a great boon to the city in terms of economic benefit and interestingly, many of the people at the football also enjoyed the Shahuli experience. I have to remind you that the outdoor exhibition closes on Tuesday, April the twenty ninth, and you still have a chance to visit either during the day or in the evening. I was really delighted to go to the openings of new businesses in the city, and if you haven't attended these premises, please go to Reno's on Pirie Street, which has a stellar menu and a great kitchen. It's very close to the town Hall and it's one of our locals. I also went to the opening of Mr Sad Thompson's Plant and Landscaping store in Gillis Street and you can buy everything from wicking beds to foods for plants. I recommend it. I should mention that Reno's is a great addition to the real Side property. Revamped forty five Pirie Street. It's one of our reuse projects in the city. With reuse and upgrading the building, it saved more than fifty thousand tons of carbon dioxide emissions, which is equivalent to taking eighty five thousand return flights from Sydney to Adelaide. I also attended the Local Government Association's Metropolitan Mayor's Forum, which brought together mayors from across the metro area. Could I ask someone to move my report be received? Councilor Giles moved, Counselor Snape seconded, all those in favor with those against. Thank you members. I now move on to the council members reports. There is a recommendation, but would anyone like to comment on their activities? Nope? Could someone move the recommendation? Then move by counselor Snape secreted by Counselor siventrit any comments, if not all those in favor all those against. That's carried. Thank you members.
Speaker 17: So we have.
Speaker 6: Seventy point one. Councilor martin your motion. Do we have a second counselor seedentrit?
Speaker 14: Yes, yes, certainly, just waiting for any declarations. But okay, that's good, Lord Mayor. Cop thirty one is coming and I think regardless of who wins the next federal election, it'll be difficult for any political party or government to not support Cop thirty one down Under. Now Admin notes in its commentary that a decision will come after the federal election when the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change Committee meets, I think in South America to decide who will host the event. Australia and Turkey are said to be the main competitors.
Speaker 13: It will be a.
Speaker 14: Decision to decide between either Australia or Turkey, and I would suspect that given that the Prime Minister has already endorsed the possibility of hosting it, but particularly the event in Adelaide, assists the country enormously in this contest, and it's not entirely unexpected.
Speaker 13: The State Lord Mayor has.
Speaker 14: Already commissioned an economic impact study, which is not widely available, but I understand that from the State government's perspective, it's likely that there will be fifty thousand delegates coming to Adelaide.
Speaker 13: That would make it.
Speaker 14: The biggest conference or convention in Australia. Ever, it's huge, and in terms of economic impact, it's expected that it will generate something like half a billion dollars for the local economy during the days of COP thirty one. It is so big, in fact, that it will have to be held at multiple venues, and I understand that there's already discussion about harnessing Adelaide Oval, Adelaide Convention Center and perhaps venues smaller such as the town Hall, in order to get all of the delegates into all of the sisions. But of course the city will have to be ready, and that means a role for the City of Adelaide in making sure that arrangements like access and even just services such that we provide currently are going to be able to cope with such.
Speaker 13: A large number of delegates.
Speaker 14: We need to make sure also that our streets look spick and span and.
Speaker 13: Look the part for the job.
Speaker 14: So Lord Merrit's been suggested to me that we probably need to start turning our minds to this already. It's said that contemplating how we're going to handle this at the end of the year or early next year will probably be too late, and so I've asked the administration if, pending the nomination of Australia as the host, some information could be prepared for us.
Speaker 13: To be ready for the event.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Lord Man.
Speaker 10: Just like to speak briefly in support of this, and thank you to Counsel Martin for bringing this forward. I think for those tuning in and listening to this might be thing thinking what on earth is a cop It's a bit like the Olympic Games for everything that relates to climate change, and if climate change still remains one of the world's biggest priorities, from everything from global economic impacts through to conservation, this really is a significant and a serious event. So not only does it present an opportunity for many people visiting the city, but we will have global leaders from around the world coming together, coming into Adelaide to be part of this process. And it won't just be in the immediate time around the event. It'll be in the year leading up and about the you would expect at least the six months afterwards.
Speaker 3: So this really is a significant opportunity.
Speaker 10: And also it's a wonderful opportunity for City of Adelaide to be here supporting the hosting of this, to be able to showcase a lot of the fantastic work we've been doing. So wholeheartedly support this. This is incredibly exciting. I know There's already been a lot of hard work that's gone into this and that will continue through to hopefully what will be an extraordinary event here in Adelaide.
Speaker 6: Snape and then Councilor Davis.
Speaker 16: Thank you, Lord Mayor, and I wholeheartedly support this motion as well as well as Adelaide itself as South Australia hosting COP thirty one along our island nation.
Speaker 9: Neighbors.
Speaker 16: However, you know well, Adelaide is a unique place. It is a city ring by parklands and a suitable venue with our beautiful vistas would make a fantastic location. However, we almost also walk for walk as well as talk the talk, and I wouldn't. I'd be remiss if I did not express my concerns about the ongoing attacks on our parklands by our current state government and their close ties to fossil fuel sponsors, including Saudi Arabia's oil funds, live golf and of course Santos is tore down under. So I would use this, this position and this pulpit to urge the state government to walk for walk and not just talk to talk, and don't to be a cop out.
Speaker 6: Councilor Davis.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one hundred percent agree with Counselors Snape. The government needs to show leadership in this regard. And I noticed that the COP I think it was this year and thirty, they destroyed a huge amount of protected Brazilian rainforest in order to get all their delegates there.
Speaker 9: So kind of defeats the port purpose in any ways.
Speaker 8: So I hope that Adelaide doesn't say it, you know, face the same thing, and we pave one of our park lands in order to accommodate the fifty thousand delegates that will swamp to our city.
Speaker 9: It would be very good.
Speaker 8: I think if the administration can look at ways that we can reduce our missions. Otherwise these things turned into massive carbon fossil fuel emissions centers and a reason to go against everything this is meant to stand for, like they're doing in Brazil at the moment.
Speaker 9: So if the administration could.
Speaker 8: Assist with those types of meta so we don't embarrass ourselves like Brazil had, I think that would be a good point of call.
Speaker 6: Thank you counselor and listen to any other comments. Would you like to summon Lord Mia.
Speaker 14: I thank the counselor for his comments about carbon emissions. They are a dangerous thing, and we seem to have plenty of them around here. Look, I would urge members to support. This is a step in a very important process for the City of Adelaide, and I think to indicate our preparedness that we are thinking of Cop thirty one is I think the right signal for us to be setting me.
Speaker 6: Thank you, all those in favor, all those against. That's carriage. Thank you. Members. So now we've got Counselor Davis's motion without notice.
Speaker 9: I have a motion with fatinatus.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 6: It's quite a complicated motion. So I think what we might do is spend meeting procedures sure, so that we can actually go through it and ask the administration just to inform us as.
Speaker 9: To because I think there's some changes as well.
Speaker 8: I saw late this afternoon that, for example, four of the nets would be removed from Leigh Street.
Speaker 6: Can we just we can we spend meeting procedures?
Speaker 8: I was going to say, I'm happy to workshop administration.
Speaker 6: Yes, can I ask leave of the meeting to suspend meeting procedures for probably about ten minutes? All those in favor, all those against, that's carried. I think that as it's quite complicated, and the administration have been beavering away at this project for several weeks. I might ask Miss Padogliat to give us a briefing on what we've done to date so that it's not we're not confused.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you, lord, ma'am.
Speaker 18: I'm certainly a very complex issue in dealing with wildlife in a city environment, and the teams collectively across the organization have been working, particularly with Green Adelaide as a leader in being able to provide us advice. We met as a group of government representatives last week and we have our first official working group meeting with broader stakeholders tomorrow, which includes our effectively important volunteer groups, including the South Australian Native Foreigner Rescue, who have been effectively manning Brundle Mall nightly to be able to support birds who are doing bird strike. We're also, as Counselor Davis mentioned, we've received device from Professor Chris Daniels who said we should look at removing the netting in Lee Street for four trees, and we will start that piece of work tomorrow morning through mister Hudiros's team. We've also had our place coordinators down in Lee Street today talking to the owners of the businesses to make sure that they're aware of our activities in that space. And we are just looking at other opportunities in terms of adjusting lighting in and around the infrastructure and Rundell Mall, as well as supporting an of the retailers for any additional window treatments which could include deckling in terms of that space.
Speaker 7: And we are.
Speaker 18: Meeting hopefully with an ornithologist tomorrow to help us in our immediate actions as well as work together collectively on what our medium and long term plans are before the next roosting season. But I'm happy to take further questions.
Speaker 8: I mean my view and you know at the Women of the Chamber, but my views that we should move emotion and I understand the administration to doing.
Speaker 9: Some of that work. So for example with the.
Speaker 8: With the nets, for example, to remove save four of them Lee Street rather than all of them. My view is that we should go out to the community with emotion about what the council is doing and that that would give us a clear.
Speaker 9: Direction on what we're going to do forward.
Speaker 8: I think things like, for example, we can clarify a lot of these points to.
Speaker 9: The effect that say, for the nets, for example, rather.
Speaker 8: Than emotion to remove all the nets, to remove the nets in line with the recommendation from Green Adelaide would be a suggestion that I would.
Speaker 9: Put in there, and anything else that would assist. But I think a lot of the.
Speaker 8: Motions in there I think are potentially thought about or if not, on their way. But I think it would be good as a council for us to clearly set out what our action would.
Speaker 7: Be through the presiding member. I'm hearing an appetite to workshop the matter so that we do end up with a conclusive resolution of the council. Would counselor Davis be prepared to work with the administration between now and the close of noms for the motions for the next meeting a better report that might provide an update and suggest a pathway moving forward.
Speaker 8: Look, I think that the issue is that the footage is extremely distressing on random Wall, which is why I think this is an urgent matter and there's a lot of questions in the community about what we're doing about it. I think so far as not egregious with what the planned approach is.
Speaker 9: If we could move these motions as a council.
Speaker 8: I think it would show leadership and show that the councilor is aware of the issue. And so for example, I'd recommend, like number one, for example, that at the end of it to add in line with Green Adelaide's recommendation for example, which we're aware of, so we could essentially make it a public motion, that would be my view, rather than waiting another two weeks for people to continue to ask what's going on?
Speaker 6: So could I just assist you, perhaps, counselor could it would it be better to say, remove some of the bird netting in line with Green Adelaide's recommendations, because that's exactly what's happening. Because there's actually been quite a lot of consultation over the last two weeks with Green Adelaide and the Department of the Environment and the property owners, and it's been a very collaborative series of communications and meetings, so that I think would tidy off on that one. The reason for some of the bird netting is the advice from Green Adelaide is that if you remove the netting, the birds won't go back because they're roosting somewhere else, and it's a period in the cycle of seasonal activity that they're locked into where they want to go at a moment, so that would actually tie in with their recommendations more clearly the counselors even do you want some questions to ask.
Speaker 10: Questions well as actually suggestions. I grew with Counselor that we want to send a clear message back to the community that we recognize as an issue here and we know what we're doing. But I wonder whether this is then aided by the first item is notes, and then it notes what Council is currently doing. Because we've said that we are doing we are taking a number.
Speaker 3: Of actions that's we're already committed to. It would be helpful.
Speaker 10: I think I don't know whether it's possible to do this now, but have a list of those items that we wish to note and then say, pray it out what we're already doing from any additional actions that we need to agree to. I recognize it's not ideal to do this during a meeting, but it's important we do send that clear message because, as you say, Lord Mayor, this matter has been worked on for a number of weeks already, and I think we need.
Speaker 6: To Davis, if you would be happy to have note the removal of some of would you be happy? Thank you? Counselor Davis is happy with that? And more questions, Counselor Martin.
Speaker 14: Yes, lord, may look, I think we're on the way. Why aren't we just noting the administration's actions which include and then list what's occurring, including the removal of the nets tomorrow, the assistance being rendered in terms of all of the other measures, and if anything remains unresolved. It's simply then adding and asks the administration too, and then it demonstrates to the community that our administration has been working on this for some time, that it's not just a motion that's come forward. This is a proactive council that's been dealing with this. And then we just added those points at the bottom that need attention.
Speaker 6: So I think we might move to that. But well, let's get some questions. Are any other questions about is everyone clear about what's happening?
Speaker 10: Council's here perhaps a father question then to help build on what council aren't set. Is there anything that's listed here? And again, thank you, counsel avers bring is forward. Is there anything that's listed here that we're not currently doing?
Speaker 6: I think that there's an interpretation of the temporary educational signage. As I understand it, there are signs that have been developed. I don't know if they're temporary. I don't know if can I have advice on that. I thought there was some signage on some of the barriers and some stickers and things going up. Is it through you little bit?
Speaker 18: I think we effectively want to make sure that there's additional signage that also responds to the volunteers needs and also the requests out of Green Adelaide.
Speaker 9: So what the.
Speaker 18: Team have suggested is some additional temporary signage that we can get up as of tomorrow, and that we add link to a QR code, which will also bump up an additional website for people to be able to find out more information and current information and be able to link through to Green Adelaide's website that also has current information. So we're bumping up additional information in support of people's needs.
Speaker 6: So my understanding is that moving on three and four, we're in constant contact with the Apple and Optus shop and they've been part of the meetings.
Speaker 18: Yeah through effectively rundle More Management, and tomorrow they've received a formal invitation to join us. They'll be joining effectively from teams because some of their team aren't based here and the Optus store. We believe that we have solved most of that problems in terms of where the birds we're getting in. So most of that stuff is again are watching brief daily based on bird behavior and what's happening in them all.
Speaker 6: So I think also having spoken to the volunteers and yourself last week, it's clear that we are working with the volunteer groups subsidizing their activities and getting parking for them. So that's again part of the stuff that's already I spoke to the volunteers last week.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and that's in train. We haven't formalized anything yet, but we have been working with him in terms of what's the what's the best way for them to be able to receive the support that we have.
Speaker 6: So I think that eight is slightly different. You're not engaging tree marting experts, you're engaging in ornithologists, so it's a very specific bird expert, so it's not actually a tree martin expert, but there they are bird experts.
Speaker 8: So because my understanding is that someone in Queensland who is who has done her doctorate in Cream Mountains, but I don't know a name, but that's the room and that's running around.
Speaker 6: I think that the plan was to have them there each day to supervise. So it's a slightly different interpretation. Yeah, so we.
Speaker 18: Were trying to The advice is to make sure that we have an ornithologist there daily to be able to help monitor the bird numbers and bird behavior. That will help us get through for any other remedial actions that we need to take and to this roosting season.
Speaker 6: Seek leave of a meeting for another five minutes, fives in favor, thank you, that's carried and then that will help us actually.
Speaker 18: And in terms of a bird management strategy, which could be another sort of expert that might as counselor David says, might be correct out of Queensland because they deal with similar issues.
Speaker 6: So I think that's under in train. So you've got a really good comprehensive list here. Accountslor Davis. Do you have been part of the working meetings for the last several weeks, haven't they? Because you need to get approval from you because these are protected animals and therefore you're not allowed to interfere with them unless you have legislative cover off of them. I got that right, yes, correct, and we have I don't know that it's called a Tree Martin Response working Group.
Speaker 13: But what you worship?
Speaker 8: Can I ask, is there anything in that motion which is egregiously different for what the administration is already doing, because this doesn't limit them in any way.
Speaker 6: No, No, I think the thing that they I haven't discovered that they're doing is number eleven. And I have a biodiversity survey from two oh three. Because I'm a jack Door will never throw anything away, and they do mention Tree Martins in that biodiversity survey. And as I understand it, at the time they were decreasing numbers in the parklands, but now they're coming in from suburbs where gorges and ravines are being built out, so that the numbers are increasing. So I think that checking out can missus redis don't we have an urban ecology strategy?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 19: And through the chair the item eleven, in line with Counselor Davis's question on what is currently not being progressed on that list is the recent biodiversity survey that Council may recall was focused and you've touched on this point, Lord Mayor, on park lands related biodiversity and doesn't pick up the urban environment. The tree Martins, as we're aware, don't roost or spend time in the parklands, and so certainly through this work in any reports, if there are amendments or inclusions we can make to existing strategies, that's something we can take as our future action.
Speaker 6: So I think we need a counselor councilor. Davis has done a good job in covering often lots of things here. Can we assist in his idea that we should?
Speaker 9: Could we delete five, five, six, and seven?
Speaker 8: No, just five, because I want to go back and contact the volunteer organizations find out if they have any out of pockets five would issue them with the temporary permits.
Speaker 9: I think that the wording of that, that's the whole thing. So why don't we just remove that?
Speaker 8: If you're making parking arrangements for them, that's great.
Speaker 9: I'm happy with that. My preference would be to move all of this.
Speaker 8: There are some differences, like reaching out to optus, for example. I do think that it's very much worth the council formally from the Council chamber riding to Apple. I think that that might assist with their brand standards of birds flying into their windows. And I feel like the rest of it is essentially what's generally what's going on at the moment, But I think that this would send a clear message to the community, and I don't think there's any adverse overlap between the two. So with amendments number one, removal of five, an eight or anything else, it's there. I'd like to move the motion if I if I could, generally, unless there is any anything egregious in there, can we just I I think it's I do think it's really relevant for this council to understand how we got here. And I understand that it could be that might contain some advice, but I do really think it's important for the Council to understand what was the process that led us to this situation, what were the assumptions that we made.
Speaker 9: Because there's another report in there about.
Speaker 8: Well what can we do in future because we're gonna have to do with this next year, and so you know, if if the past report said well we have information ABC, and the new report says, well, we have a B C D well, we know we can actually compare the two what we've done in the past resulted in this effect, and what we would do in the future. So I think it's important to understand a bit of a lessons lant and the advice that we got into how we got to this position.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Caleselor. Can I just suggest that three and four are a bit retrogressive because it's snail mail when they're actually in communication. That seems to pointless writing letters when they're talking to each other.
Speaker 9: I mean we can.
Speaker 8: I mean you send an email by with a PDAF attachment from the City of Adelaide, and you could do that tomorrow, which I think would assist the store manager to go to their higher office if it's already in train that we're going to write to them. But my understanding is that there's when not taking those steps with the Opti store, which has a different circumstance.
Speaker 6: We have a sickly for another five love's in favor. Thank you, that's Karen. Can I ask mister p Dominic.
Speaker 18: My understanding is that the Apple store has been written to efectively by Rundlemore management and invited to join the formal working which they are attending tomorrow the optics store. I don't believe has because the advice from runder Will Manage was was that was solved. But if Counsel wants us to write, we can write and join other stakeholders into the working group.
Speaker 6: The councilor seven trip More questions.
Speaker 10: Yes, I suppose my question relates to coming back to what I'd said originally, which is what are these were already doing and then what aren't we doing? With the premise being that we want to note what we're already doing because there's no value in religating them, and then really focus on what's missing that we want to agree to. I thought that's where we got to.
Speaker 6: So I think that there is an opportunity to say.
Speaker 13: That.
Speaker 6: I think we've got a landing on the first part. What we're doing. Yeah, so we are. So the E News has gone out and explained that we had been working with Green Adelaide and the Presiding Member and the suggestions that they have given us most recently have been that we remove netting on four trees. We are just the lighting, including around adjacent infrastructure in Rundelemore. We support Rundlemore traders and retails in relation to additional window treatments, and we engage the wildlife specialist and orthohologists to help inform decision making into the future. So I think that that's occurring.
Speaker 15: Man, we're trying to get the call. Considering we're still in workshop. I think that it would satisfy everybody if we said at the very top of it that Council notes and with the changes that we've discussed by you going through each points, I think we're just pretty well landed that we're noting all the things that have happened. In terms of council Stephen Tretz comments, I haven't heard anything come out that isn't in this motion, so maybe we've got an agreement about that we note and then have the motion. And also in terms of number nine, my memory of this and I went back and had to look at the minutes because I wasn't sure. But this initially came from a question by Counselor about that he asked for a report to be done on the basis of the Lee Street traders complaining about the bird pooh, excuse my French. Yeah, so yeah, it might be good for us to look examine, examin In my view, anyway to examine the way we make decisions, because if we need to understand that when you make a decision about protecting the table of diners, there might be other environmental implications that we need to also consider. So I don't have a problem with with nine, and I think that we might be able to pass this if it says that Council notes and then the whole motion.
Speaker 6: So I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.
Speaker 15: Just at the very stem, the stem that Council notes, I see, and then then we note everything.
Speaker 6: Yes, I have not commit. Would you be happy with that, councilor not? Davis?
Speaker 9: Yeah, just assist the Council notes, the administration will or.
Speaker 7: That the Council notes the following actions undertaken by the Council Administration in collaboration with Green Adelaide include.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I'm And then I think point ten change the word initiate.
Speaker 13: Uh but I I would add a love include.
Speaker 7: And you'd pull the first full bullet points here that the news canst love removing knitting on four Tracy lace straight.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm happy with the change. I think that's good. Yep. So proposing those first full of bullets yep, yep.
Speaker 19: Great, great, which might be like some of what follows for them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I I'm sorry to keep doing this to you. Can I have another?
Speaker 9: Just go twenty minutes and then we can was sa ten.
Speaker 6: Minutes, then ten minutes, meeting the first buller.
Speaker 5: Number one with your man happy yep, okay, uh, we're actually doing some work on sidings, probably said.
Speaker 2: Writing to the Apple store.
Speaker 8: Has already good that I would I do. I do think it should come from the lord man, from the council. But I'll live it in your hands.
Speaker 15: If we're noting it can stain it is operational this. Yeah, I think we should note that we did that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, we are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's so we I think we should take three and four out because that's happening.
Speaker 15: I'm not sure that except we're noting the man that's happening, noting there in a tradition with the Apple Store, in communication with the store.
Speaker 7: Above councilor jobs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, supporting.
Speaker 7: Randall driders and retailers.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So let me just three up to allmer.
Speaker 9: I think that's too complicated.
Speaker 6: And we've got a system for six and and seven already, haven't we. So that's all been occurring, so they could go maybe.
Speaker 8: Zero point seven is more of a longer term view where these ambulances.
Speaker 6: So can I tell you what for the if I might speak from the chair. Having discussed this with the experts at some length, it seems obvious, at least talking to them, that there's been a dramatic change in development in the metropolitan area. Tree martins apparently used to go into ravines and and high walled areas, and with the development in the suburbs, they've been forced into the city and they appear to be roosting in places with narrow streets and low traffic Lee Street and Rundlemore. And I think that we're victims of our own success. We've planted so many trees. There are more new habitats. Lee Street is a new habitat that is Rundlemore. And clearly in the future there are several things we need to do. One is look at the kinds of trees we plant, where they are, and how we manage the new biodiversity that moves into the city, because, as mister Harida said, our biodiversity surveys to date have been about the parklands, not about the city. And this has added a whole new dimension to our problems. So I do think that the one part that I do think is important is number eleven. And I think number eleven.
Speaker 20: Is sorry, continue counselor, and we've not establishing We're actually continuing it, aren't we.
Speaker 21: Progress?
Speaker 13: Progress?
Speaker 6: It's not a stablished we're going to progress. Yes, I don't think we want counselors on it, do we, unless they're ornithologists.
Speaker 9: I mean, I mean, I'm happy to take it out.
Speaker 8: My view is that we should have counselors on it because then you actually have a connection and someone who can liaise with this chamber in future.
Speaker 9: So I would love to be on it. But I do think that we should actually have.
Speaker 8: Someone there who's going to be able to kind of bring any of these types of issues back to the council.
Speaker 9: And actually I think that influencing future.
Speaker 6: I think that it's quite reasonable we should have some briefing from Green Adelaide that would be a better support for us.
Speaker 9: I think I'm happy to remove it if you so wish, But I am a community member of anyone's needs an extra person.
Speaker 6: So I think that we've just changed the flavor of it is do you think we've made a landing on this? Can we just read through it again? Council notes the following actions to undertaken by the administration. So I think that number eight is Can I go down to number eight? Number eight? We have already got that up in the dock point at the top the ornithologist, So we probably don't need it again, do we?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 6: Would you like to make nine slightly more progressive and forward looking? A report detailing the future management of wildlife in the city? Would that be help?
Speaker 8: No, it's really I do want to understand how we arrived at this particular point in time, and then my understanding would be there would be a report frohen the administration coming out. It's just so that we have our lessons learned on how we got to this situation, so that we can be better informed of what happened next time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, this is what it's like. Yeah, it's bad, right, Like we've got a whole bunch of birds running into things. Why wouldn't we have a look.
Speaker 8: At how we got here? The only way that you're going to have.
Speaker 6: I think that we've gone through this fairly extensively. Now, Can I just ask if people want to move into normal meeting procedures and take these one at a time. Council, I'm.
Speaker 14: Question if we are noting that the administration has those actions underway, and that is the sense of it, isn't the counselor is doing those actions. The actions that follow the dock points are also actions the administration has undertaken us.
Speaker 22: That correct, Yes, h.
Speaker 15: M hm.
Speaker 7: Oh, ruther in the school, stay at your all, it just.
Speaker 17: A day goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't tact contact.
Speaker 17: Week, don't take week, panculation.
Speaker 13: The Russian home.
Speaker 6: Oh this is so sleep thing.
Speaker 21: Fie preparation uh for preparation all when move the publish week you say yeah.
Speaker 23: Stuff like y I probably group and when you others that's funny.
Speaker 6: Continue to the day's yeah yeah, uh did.
Speaker 2: You inclosion.
Speaker 1: Christmas?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 24: And on yelling prior.
Speaker 22: Rass all okay, come, that's good your ground counsel day, so you have to Yeah, so people.
Speaker 9: Agree much, thank you.
Speaker 8: We're in a bit of an impossible decision situation anyways, one that a politician ever wants to be.
Speaker 9: And I suppose we have two very bad outcomes.
Speaker 8: We have the tree muntains in Lee Street and very negatively impacting traders there, and I've spoken with traders there today who absolutely don't want to go back to what they saw before. Likewise, we can't allow the situation to continue in rundom Are given the occurrence that's there. These tree muntains have a very long Many of them have come from a very far away place in Papua New Guinea some of them, and I think we owe it to them to look after them. My assummation is that they enjoy some way they can roost, like a tree in between walled areas or a walled in area so that they are safer from prevators. And it seems like they would seek out alternative areas that are you know, match that description, which is potentially why they're not roosting in the botanic gardens for example. But merely my guess I think the issue would be is if we start putting nets over Rundall Mall, that they could move to Gurja Street or Hut Street, or we simply move this problem on to other places. I think that the public, in looking at this motion, will be assured that the City of Adelaide is taking every step necessary to address the issues that are occurring on Roundau more that we will also look to the future in terms of how we can address these issues in future. Ideally we can find a solution that will benefit the least street traders, but also the Rundall Mall and perhaps the tree months can showcase as a biodiversity icon in South Australian years to come. This will take a lot of work and it could actually be a coordinated effort across the city to net and encourage the birds to go into a more suitable location where they wish to wish to roost. This will take a lot of effort by the administration and by experts to solve this problem, but no doubt an important one. The Council had concerns. I suppose that they would move, but we didn't know exactly where they would move to. So I believe that this motion we'll send a clear signal to the people of South Australia that we are taking this issue very seriously, that we're moving forward on it, and that we will look to a long term solution for lee straight and run.
Speaker 6: The will thank you, sorry, councilor Martin.
Speaker 13: Lord me.
Speaker 14: Look, it pains me to say this, but the origins of this terrible tragedy are within this chamber. I was here when a former Councilor Hassam Abid, who was the leader of a team adelaide Lord Me, raised this initially in the chamber like a point of order.
Speaker 8: Like at a time like this, when the Council needs to come together, trying to attack.
Speaker 13: Is a point of order.
Speaker 3: I need to understan what is the act I'm making a point of order?
Speaker 9: He is just I'm making a point of order. I'm making it an order.
Speaker 13: It's Regulation twenty nine. I making Regulation twenty nine.
Speaker 8: At a time like this, I believe that it's in terms of the guiding principles of this Council, a time for us to come together, to celebrate what we have achieved as a council together and realize that we do have difficulties. But I think a time now where we need to look to leadership, not division, and we as a council needs to look to our future, not to our past, and not go and shit on past.
Speaker 6: Members loveefully speech about goodwill to all men, but can we carry on county?
Speaker 13: Yes, Lord.
Speaker 14: And it was in fact Councilor Davis who asked what the history was. I was obliging him and reminding him that it was the Deputy Lord Meyt at the time. Has abby I have or raised the issue, and I have point of order, Lord may I will ask, I will.
Speaker 13: Ask for Regulation twenty nine if he continued.
Speaker 6: I think, and it's fair to say, Counselor Davis, that this is the question that was part of your motion about the history and prepare them.
Speaker 8: It's well, okay, if I can clarify then then no, it's about the recent history of how we came to put the nets on lee straight and then moving it to run them more.
Speaker 9: The point of order is that i'd ask the member not to refer to me.
Speaker 8: There's been previous rulings by your Lordship of members not referring to each other in the chamber and referring to you only through the chair.
Speaker 9: He has to do the same name.
Speaker 8: Yes, he did mention my name, he said, Counselor Davis asked me to say this, so no, I didn't.
Speaker 6: I don't believe he said anything disparaging about you. We're all very grateful, We're very grateful for your leadership. Thank you, Counselor Martin.
Speaker 14: I always love it when the Lord Mayor look the history was. It came from this chamber. It was how Abiad who raised it and placed enormous pressure on the Council to do something. And for years, many years in fact, the Council did attempt to manage the problem. And when Councilor Aby had left, he passed the bat and the Councilor Abrahim today who successively raised motions in relation to Lee Street, and ultimately the Chamber pressured the administration to act.
Speaker 3: Just have a point of what the action was. I have a point of order.
Speaker 8: The it's what the councilor Martin would like to relitigate is not this motion. This motion deals with the current situation that's there, not the history of his personal gripes with his old colleagues. What we're looking to look at.
Speaker 9: This moment, this is I'm making a point of order.
Speaker 3: I'm making a point of order.
Speaker 9: I'm making a point of order.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Lord Mayor.
Speaker 14: It was pastor Councilor Abrahimzidae, who on behalf of Lee Street traders, raised it on many occasions, and frankly, the Chamber placed enormous pressure on the administration, which sought advice and acted on the advice of wildlife experts. In installing the netting, it has had adverse consequences. There is no question about that, and indeed, I don't see that there is an end in sight. However, however, we are, in spite of ourselves, moving to do the best we can in the circumstances.
Speaker 13: And my only regret is that.
Speaker 14: Councilor Davis hadn't asked the administration what it was doing before.
Speaker 3: A point of order.
Speaker 14: Before raising, Lord, members refer to each other with the interruption, I would like to move. I would like to move regulation twenty mins refer to me in respect of Councilor Davis breaching.
Speaker 9: Not to refer to me in his faith.
Speaker 6: I think that we're responding to a debate. So Counselor Martin, can you keep moving? You've got fifty four seconds.
Speaker 14: Oh thank you, Lord met Yes, it's always important to ask the administration for advice about how it's approaching these issues, and I must say, I'm just delighted to hear that there's been so much attention by the administration to the issue and so many attempts plainly to resolve it.
Speaker 13: I appreciate that.
Speaker 14: I'm sure that the ratepayers of the city of Adelaide will be pleased to hear that the Council has.
Speaker 13: Been acting for some time.
Speaker 14: It is important, however, that we find a solution to the issue, and I regret that though this will help, the longer story is that we need to find a solution that doesn't involve knitting and the apparent demise of birds in arundel Mare simply because we've diverted them there. I regret very much what's happened, and I trust that we find a solution.
Speaker 6: You, Counselor Snape, thank you, Lord Mayor.
Speaker 16: And I'm just going to start by actually acknowledging all the hard work that the staff has put in to this throughout well several years, but also in the last four to five weeks as we've seen these tragic deaths happen. I actually echo Counselor Martin's concerns and the pressure that was put on staff by a former team ad laid leader who saw Abiad and then we don't need to keep pressing the point and the papologies, Lord Mayor, and so now it's up to this council, this council to fix that mistake, and we are doing so. Shouldn't have been placed there in the first place. I certainly think so. I'm certainly sympathetic to the traders on Lee Street. But I do hope to see the nets removed next year, in time well in their entire entirety, for the next season of migrations. We can't see it. Let us happen again. We talk about being a green city, environmental city, a natural city surrounded by our parklands, and yet here we go with this situation. But as I said, that being said, I commend the staff on their hard work, their quick reaction, their conversations with the traders, the conversations with experts, and I really do despite it's happened, I commend the administration on what was a bad decision by team Adelaide. Thank you Lord.
Speaker 6: But can I just make this point? Can I just make this point that the notting was put in place last Can I counselor can you please be quiet? You don't need to help me. I'm making the point the netting was put in place last year in response to difficulties in Lee Street. There were unintended consequences, firstly of planting so many trees. As I say, we're victim of our own success here we've planted so many trees, we've created micro environments that were never there before, and then the unintended consequence is trying to protect our rate payers. So I think that we've many people have been involved, but at the end of the day, the administration have done the very best they can in difficult circumstances, trying to juggle everyone's wants and desires, to support the traders, to look after the birds, and actually support the volunteers. I've been absolutely overwhelmed by the care with which the volunteers have been dealt with. They have been treated with respect and helped and I just commend the administration for the negotiations and the work they put in. So seven Tripp then counselor.
Speaker 10: Jile Well, I'll be very brief at the risk of repeating some of what's already been said. Can I first just note the work of the staff but also the volunteers. I think the second point is it's not lost on me it's an ecologist by training, that we've got an important native species here, which is roosting in. Two different species have introduced true and I think, as you've said in some regards where we're working through the outcome of some of our successes in past tree planning. But the point I wanted to make is that's only going to continue in the future as we continue to put more trees in the city. And so the biggest lesson for me that's going to come out of these is how do we work together with scientists, with a department, with the community. Because we will see our city go up to thirty percent tree can it becover we'd expect we're going to create a whole lot more habitat And rather than seeing this as a divisive issue, it should be one where where celebrating the fact that we have this species.
Speaker 3: In the city.
Speaker 10: We note that these challenges and how we manage it, but we also recognize this sort of thing they continue again in the future, and how do we do it better in the future, particularly around the way we communicate our management actions.
Speaker 15: Just I would like us to reflect that the way that we pulled together this motion tonight was one where we actually went into problem solving mode. We acknowledged the work of the staff. We came to an agreement about what needs to be done in a really civilized way. So I hope that we can sort of like continue that as are the way that we go forward. I do think that we do have really tricky problems in the city when we're trying to encourage businesses to, you know, to get out there and have outdoor dining and create an atmosphere that's really beautiful for visitors and for locals to eat and drink in. And we have trees planted, and we have beautiful creatures coming in because we planted our trees, and how do we balance all those needs? So balancing is a major issue for us as a city council that many councils don't have that same issue. So it's been a great step forward, I think to discuss this issue in a civilized manner and to come to an agreement around what acknowledging what needs to be done, and having a bit of a think about having a strategy moving forward that takes on those tricky problems, those wicked problems in a more sophisticated way. Acknowledging that just responding to some complaints about something or some difficulties that some group is having is not the way to go if we all and if we don't also consider the ramifications and the environment around that. So I think this is a really good motion and shows that we're on track to dealing with those tricky problems. And I also think it's amazingly exciting to have these little birds in our city. I didn't even know what a tree Martin was to like join this council, and now I do, and now I know a hell of a lot more about them, and I think it would be really great if we could play an active role as a council in making sure that everyone goes through that experience and we all get to really love our little tree mountains and become something that something that people come to Adelaide to have a look at and come to Lee Street to have a look up at as well.
Speaker 8: I would you like for some up Thank you very much, counselor Sea Troupe and Counsel Jiles for your your comments tonight. I do think that you know, there are other places in the world which have taken quite negative initially what they thought was a negative animal activity in the city and turn that into a tourist destination. I think in America, I think it might be our namesake. In fact, they had a problem with bats and turn that into a significant tourist destination of about eight million dollars with the income from the state.
Speaker 9: I did raise that idea with some of the Lee Street traders. Not a big fan, remain in the hope.
Speaker 8: I do hope that this motion will show leadership from the City of Adelaide in terms of what we're going to do going forward. And I really do think the volunteers who have answered the call and gone out of their way and done everything they need to do. I think at least five per night who were there looking after the birds, taking them to the vets, and also those vets who are trying to nurse these poor birds back to health. I think we've learned a lot as a council from this. Ultimately, this was our decision. We made the decision, we were brief done it last year, and the responsibility whether as me you have made the decision or administration, the buck does start with this council. In this, with this chamber, I believe that we have a good way forward and I think that this motion will go a long way to inform in the public on terms of what the council is doing to liaise with key interest groups to make sure that we can improve the plight of the bird, and I suppose next year we will turn our minds to when they returned to Adelaide, potentially with climate thirty one. We've copp thirty one and we can showcase them and have a suitable place for them to roost in future. And I'd also like to thank Lord Mayor for your efforts behind the scenes in terms of dealing with the administration and coordinating efforts and often that as a signific amount of public answers to what's happening. But I commend the administration on their busy faeton what they've been doing to solve this very alarming issue.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank you, Counselor. Just before the vote, can I just recommend seeing the murmuration, which is a wonderful word and is a description of the way they fly in in great flocks that weave and coil. So all those in favor those against human animus, thank you Counselor Davis for sorting them. Questions on notice. We have several which are on your questions without notice. No, shall we move on there? Can I ask someone to move the exclusion for Item twenty two moved my council jibs signify Counselor Martin, all those in favor, that's carriaging aanimously, and can I have someone to move the exclusion of twenty three move by Counselor Martin's seconded by Counselor Davis. All those in favor, let's carried. Thank you members. So could I ask members of the public who are in the gallery to be to become absent now I don't know if there are any members.
Speaker 25: All right, good morning everyone. I'm Alan Seckel, vice Chair of the Translink Board, and i'd like to welcome you to Translinks March twenty twenty five open Board meeting. Thank you all for joining us virtually today. I like to call the meeting to order and begin by saying that we respect the Indigenous nations within Metro Vancouver and acknowledge all First Nations, Inuit and met people for their continued resilience, sustainable stewardship, and as active members of the community for generations to come. We recognize that in planning and managing the region's transportation system, we have a role to play in supporting reconciliation with Indigenous peoples. Before we get started with the formalities the meeting today, i'd like to welcome Darlene Hyde, who joined the Translaning Board on January first, twenty twenty five. Darlene is a seasoned business leader with over thirty years of executive and board experience across real estate, energy, insurance, and telecommunications in both the public and private sectors. She currently serves as chair of the Stabilization's Central Credit Union, chair of McGill's Women in Leadership in Philanthropy and Vancouver, and as a board member for the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. Previously, Darlene was CEO of the BC Real Estate Association, Executive director of the Metro Vancouver Commercial Real Estate Devas Element Association, and Interim CEO of the Alberta Insurance Council. She was recognized as the twenty twenty CEO of the Year in the nonprofit sector by Business Vancouver, and she also led the BC Real Estate Association to be named a top national employer. Welcome Darling. We look forward to all of your ideas and contributions, so thank you. Moving to the agenda before we proceed, are there any items on the consent agenda that any director wishes to remove from consent for discussion? All right? Scene none. I will now introduce Gordon Harris, who will present today's safety moment.
Speaker 26: Thanks very much, Chair. British Columbia experience is about twenty five hundred earthquakes a year. Unfortunately, the three earthquakes that rattled our region over the last few weeks were relatively mild ones, but they are a reminder that we all live in a seismically active area and we need to be prepared in case the next one is more severe. Being prepared means having a plan, so start with family and friends and an emergency communication plan. Plan for where you and your circle can all safely meet up if you get separated. Make sure everyone has an emergency kit, one stocked with about three days worth of water and non perishable foods, some healthy snacks, maybe a first aid kit, a battery, radio, and a cell phone charger. It is always a good idea, no matter what, to make sure your cell phone is fully charged during an earthquake. Drop cover and hold. We've all heard that for years. Drop down so you don't risk falling over. Take cover under something solid like a table or desk. Hold on to that table or desk or other solid object. Stay away from windows to avoid broken glass, and if you're outside, try to get to an open area away from buildings, power lines, and trees. If you're on transit, stay seated, and if you're standing, hold on tight to the handrails and follow the operators instructions. If you're driving, pull over when it's safe to do so, and in an open area, stay in your car with your seat belt on and the engine off until the shaking stops. And listen to local news for emergency information and updates. And finally, take the time now to look around to pick a safe place in your home and your workplace, put a pair of sturdy shoes under your bed, talk to your family and friends about their plan so everyone is ready just in case the next one is a bigger one.
Speaker 25: Thanks very much, Thank you, Gordon. So we've got lots on the agenda today, so we'll proceed to our first it in which are public delegations. We've got three people who have enrolled for delegations and the first one is Gabriel Dalton. Gabriel, are you.
Speaker 23: Get them here?
Speaker 25: I good, So thank you very much for taking the time to come today and share your ideas with this table. You have about five minutes to make your presentation and I'll give you a gentle reminder if you get close to that, it's all.
Speaker 27: Over to you.
Speaker 23: Thank you very much. Good morning, Chair and members of the board. My name is Gabriel Dalton and I'm the founder and CEO of Wastes of Change, Inc. An off for profit dedicated to digital sustainability. I'm sixteen years old and part of Generation Z, generation that will inherit the consequences of today's environmental decisions. For years, I've been working on making websites more energy efficient and raising awareness about the environmental impact of the Internet. I've led initiatives that have resulted in the planting of nearly nine thousand trees across thirty different countries and the prevention of seven thousand plastic bottles from entering the ocean. Sustainability is a passion of mine. There's one area of sustainability that often gets overlooked the digital world. Every time you visit a website, stream your favorite movie, or send an email to your grandma, it requires energy, and that energy use adds up. To put it into perspective, the energy consumption from translink dot CAA's estimated five million monthly visitors creates a digital footprint equivalent to driving electric vehicle over five hundred and sixty thousand kilometers, which is the same as completing more than one thousand round trips on your full rapid bus between UBC and Joystation and taking the six daily bus on over five thousand round trips between downtown and the West End. The good news as a way to reduce this impact without changing how people use a site, just by optimizing the things that are already there today, I'm going to show you how Translink can cut its digital emissions without sacrifices and performance, accessibility or user experience. All are reinforcing its role as a sustainability leader in metro Vancouver. A lot of people don't realize this, but the Internet is responsible for about three point seven percent of global carbon emissions. That's about the same as the airline industry. Every web page reload requires electricity to process and transfer data. This means that large, unoptimized websites end up consuming far more energy than necessary, and the thing is this is entirely avoidable. With better design choices, websites can be optimized to use far less energy while still delivering the same information and experience. To users. I've conducted a comprehensive analysis of translink dot C eight using sustainability tracking tools, and the results who are simply concerning. Each visit to the website generates approximately zero point seventy four grands at CO two, which might not seem like a lot at first. However, with an estimated five million visits per month, this website admits nearly thirty four thousand kill grands at CO two annually. To put that into perspective, the energy use of the current website is equivalent to charging nearly seven point three million smartphones and the carbon absorbed by over fifteen hundred trees in a year. And why is this happening? Large inefficient images, excessive JavaScript files and unnecessary fonts. Every additional megabyte increases energy use not just on translit servers, but also on the device the devices of every user app exiting the site. I want to be clear that Translate's website is already well optimized in many ways. It's fast, accessible and served, and essential public function. But the reality is it could be much cleaner and more sustainable by implementing targeted improvements such as compressing images, removing unnecessary scripts, and optimizing hosting infrastructure vendsling can significantly reduce the energy the website's energy consumption and carbon footprint. Studies show that optimizing images alone can reduce data transfer by to thirty percent.
Speaker 28: Well.
Speaker 23: Eliminating unnecessary scripts and streamlining codes can further cut down with usage and processing power. That's the equivalent of removing thousands of kilograms of CO two every month, and it wouldn't just be in an environmental win. It would mean faster loading times, which improves the experience for all trans users though we're bandwidth costs, saving money on, saving money on infrastructure, and a stronger sustainability reputation aligning with TransLink's digital footprint with its clean ener machine transit goals. At the at the end of the day, Translink is leading Metro Vancouver towards a more sustainable future. But this is a major blind spot, one that is easily fixable. If we don't act, the emissions will keep on adding up with every single page view. But with the right changes, Translink can set the standard for sustainable website design in public transit. In conclusion, now is the time to take action.
Speaker 21: I encourage you all.
Speaker 23: To explore my full sustainability case study and tailored recommendations at Gabriel Dalton dot com slash Translink. Thank you for your time and consideration today and have an amazing rest of the meeting.
Speaker 25: Thanks Gabriel, really admire your passion for the environment and I'll assure you that your ideas will be shared with the right people at Translink. And thanks for coming today. We'll now proceed to our next speaker, who is Elfrin Ordanza. Hello, Elfrid, are you there?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 1: Can you hear me?
Speaker 25: Okay? Now, oil friend? Yes, Thanks, go ahead. You've got about five minutes and I'll give you a gentle reminder if you get closer that time.
Speaker 1: Hello, and thank you Bard for giving me the opportunity to express my concerns and beliefs on the transit system here in Metro Vancouver. I want to talk about the fair system we currently have. The three zone fair system dates back to the days of BC Transit, well before Translink became the transit agency for the Metro bank for Region in nineteen ninety nine. In particular, for someone who has to travel between two stations with a fair zone border, it costs more than what one that has to travel between two stations without a fair zone border. For example, it costs three dollars twenty cents to travel between Patterson and Metrotown stations, but it costs four dollars and sixty five cents to travel between Patterson and Enjoy stations. That's the one dollar forty five cent difference between traveling in these directions. This logic behind this fair structure does not make any sense. On top of that, Transling has done a fair review a few years back in hopes to change the fare system. It was said to eliminate the fare zones and implement distance based fares on Skytrain, SeaBus and future rapid transit. That was all said in twenty eighteen, But what year is it now? It's twenty twenty five. This current fare structure is outdated and it has to be changed sooner rather than much later. I'm not the only one to wonder why the fair pricing method hasn't changed, aside from the fare increases that seem to be happening almost every single year. It's almost twenty six years since Translinic took responsibility of the region's transit network. We even have the technology such as the Compass card system to change it. I don't see the fairness of this current FRAS structure. I've been long hoping for change. Now, even that we have the technology, I'm wondering if Translin is willing and able to make the change. Has it not been a priority since Translink takeover in nineteen ninety nine. I'm just wondering where the opportunity opportunity was lost. Thanks for listening, and I appreciate you for your time.
Speaker 25: Thanks Alfrid, I appreciate your input and your passion for their transportation system in Metro Vancouver. I can assure you that your ideas will be shared with the right people at Translink, and thank you so much for coming today. And our third and last speaker is.
Speaker 29: I appreciate you for your time, thanks alfriend, and your passion for.
Speaker 26: The transportations cocover.
Speaker 25: I can shure you that your ideas will be shared with the people, and.
Speaker 17: Thank you so much to that.
Speaker 25: All right, without interesting repetition for me, it is we'll move to Nathan dividerates over to you. Nathan, you have about five minutes, and I'll give you a gentle reminder to people of that time.
Speaker 17: Hallold, do you hear me?
Speaker 8: You do?
Speaker 25: Go ahead?
Speaker 17: Oh? Okay, well, thank you the directors of the Board of Handling. There are many items on this agenda. I talked about the unfair first start to last year, but nothing has changed the same fair stature that in twenty fifteen your own CEO, Katy McLay acknowledge was unfair. Ken Howdy t Ansling spokesmen before becoming an MP concerned no changes to many good fell savings in twenty fourteen like the family and then holiday pass that as usual, he was wrong and he has done nothing to help Translink six hundred million dollars operation deficit. While an MP. Now he's retired without any legacy. It is the same as many adult Transling staff, directors of the board, and civic and provincial politicians. They've done very little or nothing to help a transit system and will have no legacy. It's been forty one years since the FIR structure was implemented in nineteen eighty four. Vancouver transit riders that are the account for fifty percent of the riders are paying way above their fair shale of the transit budget. On Friday August first, twenty twenty five, you might not receive the taxes collected on your behalf by all the municipalities. They all displeased and outraged at Translink. Pardlink is the worst in Canada and our fells, compared to the sixth largest system in Canada, are the highest. Just read the cut twenty twenty three fact book. We are now in a similar situation to twenty twenty where staff layoff and service cuts were proposed. Minutes tell Selena Robinson managed to stop the layoffs and cuts. However, former CEO Kevin Desmond tricked her and adults by robbing Peter to pay Paul. However, Selena Robinson has a legacy of being the second poor transit minister in fifty years. The first one was the late Jim Lomeer in the mid nineteen seventies. So let's look again at all the many inequities, highest average fail in Canada. Complicated unfail trees on fieses tructure since nineteen eighty four, no special, free or very low fails for seniors teens thirteen to eighteen years old, low income nineteen to sixty four. Different fills for buses versus trained and SeaBus, no faire integration with BC Transit, no fail caps, no printed timetables or reference copies available at library. Longest average trip time in Canada, very limited overnight bus services, inconsistent hours of service on many bus routes and sea bus. Very limited regional rail service, no was rooms, limited handed out service, very few bike packades station, no funding for bus shelter cancellation of over two hundred bus stop about fifteen percent of all bus stops in the city of Vancouver. One of the only big transit systems is out on demand transit also called demand response transit. Lower hours of service per capitat and whistle Victoria, Montreal and Toronto. We still have transfer the only valid for ninety minutes, while many other transit systems have one hundred and twenty minutes. You are not supporting the BC Federation of label connecting BC plan with doubling of the bus fleet in three yels and tripling in six years. Do you even know that three out of the seven members of the London Transit Commission in Ontario resigned earlier this and now the LTC is disbanded. So thank you for listening to me reminder of the longdown times of condition to Antelio.
Speaker 30: Resign Alan You're on mute.
Speaker 25: Thanks Nathan. We appreciate your passion for the transportation system and as always, your ideas will be shared within Translink. And thank you for coming today. And that concludes our public delegations for this meeting. So thank you for everyone for taking the time to speak to us and share your perspectives. That takes us item three on the agenda, which is the CEO Report, and I'll turn it over to our CEO, Kevin Quinn.
Speaker 29: Great well, good morning everyone, Thanks so much, and I also do want to offer a warm welcome to our newest member of the board, Darlene Hyde. Darlene, welcome and thanks all so much for having me today. It's great to be here. In my report today, I'll be covering the opening of Capston Station, our latest public engagements on the Bus Rapid Transit program and the Barrard Peninsula Area Transportation Plan, and our partnership with BC Hydro to electrify Translink park and rides. Today we're also releasing our twenty twenty four Accountability Report, our annual report that highlights progress on social, environmental and financial responsibility and features key achievements across the enterprise. Next side, please this year's accountability report really underscores our continued commitment to providing essential transportation services to Metro Vancouver, despite challenges from rapid regional growth in the last few years, overcrowding and financial constraints. Thanks to the short term funding provided by the twenty two twenty four Investment Plan, we made modest but meaningful improvements to the transit system to address overcrowding and reduce travel times. This included launching the Our six rapid bus, advancing important initiatives like extending Route six point nine to better serve the Twasson First Nation community, and working with local government partners to create safer, more pedestrian friendly streets, really promoting active transportation and Plus, for the second year in a row, we successfully reduced in service fleet greenhouse gas emissions by approximately twelve percent through renewable fuels, while continuing to invest in zero emissions and to do our part to strengthen our financial sustainability. We unlocked new revenue streams through the real estate development and transit friendly employer programs, and we realized ninety million dollars in annual efficiencies identified through the Management Action Plan next slide. Please, another important milestone from twenty twenty four was the opening of the new caps Skytrain station on the Canada Line, a huge milestone for customers traveling to and from Richmond. The second time we've constructed an additional skytrain station to serve an existing line. Capston helps deliver more efficient, rapid transit in the rapidly growing Capston Village area of Richmond, expected to be home to roughly sixteen thousand residents as the area sees rapid growth. The new station is the result of an innovative agreement between Translink and the City of Richmond, established through a precedent setting funding model involving the city and Capston Village developers, where over half the construction costs for Capston Station came from developer contributions. Translink worked closely with the City of Richmond on station design with the community in mind. This model is an excellent example of what we can do when we work together to respond to rapid growth. And it was great standing alongside director's Cunningham, Howard and Sandu, as well as Mayors Brody and Harvey as we opened this new station for our customers, and I'm so excited to continue to see the community benefit from this new transit connection. Thanks slide please. In January, we also took a really important step forward with the Bus Rapid Transit Program, highlighting routes and station locations for two of our projects in Surrey, Maple Ridge and the Township of Langley. Our BRT program will improve connections to growing communities, key destinations and transit hubs in collaboration with our local government partners, and as you know, BRT is key to unlocking connected communities and access to opportunity for both workers and employers. More than two hundred thousand residents and one hundred thousand jobs are within walking distance of these corridors, further supporting economic growth, affordability, and of course, housing development. We asked for community input on the BRT program, including key features like weather protected stations and real time information displays, which were identified by the public as top priorities in last summer's public engagement, and as part of this recent engagement, we launched a survey which was completed by nearly fifteen thousand respondents with strong representation from BRT communities. We also are focused very much on the North Shore BRT and additional engagement for the Metro town to North Shore. BRT is anticipated for later this year. Overall feedback that we're receiving is positive, with a strong majority majority of respondents believing BRT will improve transportation in our region. Next slide please. We also recently sought public feedback on Phase two of the Barrard Area Barrard Peninsula Area Transport Plant, which identifies transportation improvements in this specific area of the region guided by Transport twenty fifty and Access for Everyone. Building on insights from Phase one, where over four thousand residents, workers and traveler shared how they use the transportation network, Translink sought feedback on proposed actions for transit, cycling, walking, and goods movement, including nearly sixty potential bus route changes, and this feedback will really help shape the final area transport plan set for release in twenty twenty six. During our Phase two engagement, we received more than forty two hundred survey responses, We completed operator engagements at Vancouver, Hamilton and Burnaby transit centers, and we held thirty community events that reached more than sixteen hundred members of the public. And while proposed projects are currently unfunded, Translink will continue working with local regional and provincial partners, including First Nations communities, to refine and prioritize these proposals based on public interest and future funding opportunities. Next five Please, in partnership with BC Hydro, Translink, has launched two new electric vehicle fast charging hubs at park and ride locations in Port Coquitlam and South Surrey, making it even easier for EV users to incorporate transit into their daily commutes. These new hubs provide space for up to thirty eight evs to charge simultaneously and offer a mix of level two and one hundred eighty kilowat chargers to meet different charging needs. Level two chargers are perfect for transit riders who want to charge their EV while commuting, while the one hundred eighty kilowat chargers provide a fast charging option for those needing to charge right away. And by expanding EV charging infrastructure, Translink is helping to build a more sustainable and convenient transportation network that supports the growing number of EV drivers in Metro Vancouver. Next side Place. This past Friday, the Government of Canada committed to providing one hundred and fifty million dollars in annual capital funding for Translink over the next decade through the Metro Regional Agreement stream of the Canada Public Transit Fund, and this funding commitment is conditional on an executed agree signed by all parties. We continue to work with government staff to get clarity on the timing for assigned agreement and to understand what impact the upcoming federal election could have. I do want to thank the Government of Canada for their commitment to public transportation. This announcement really reinforces public transit's importance to the region and the economy, and we look forward to continuing to work with the federal government to keep expanding transit to support the growing needs of Metro Vancouver residents. While this funding commitment is welcome news, I do think it's important to understand that it does not solve our six hundred million dollar annual operating funding shortfall. We continue to work with all levels of government to secure funding for the Access for Everyone plan, and separately to find a sustainable funding model to solve our operating funding shortfall. Next line, Please, before closing today, I'd be remiss if I didn't take a moment to acknowledge that last week was transit operator and worker Appreciation Day, a day is set to rerectize the incredibly dedicated transit employees who keep our communities connected every day. And from bus operators and skytrain attendance to mechanics, maintenance crews and dispatchers, our frontline teams work tirelessly, rain or shine to ensure safe, reliable, and efficient service across Metro Vancouver. This year, we asked customers to join us in recognizing our frontline employees and we got just so many responses sharing heartwarming stories about how our teams don't just move people, they support businesses, they bring families together, and they contribute to a more sustainable region. And thanks to all those who rode in and helped put a smile on so many of our team spaces last week. Next slide please, that concludes my report. Thank you so much for your time today, and I'm happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Speaker 25: Thank you, Thanks Kevin. Do any board members have any questions or comments about Heaven's presentation see none, Thanks Kevin. And We'll then move to a report from the VC Rapid Transit Company and I'll turn it to Sandy Zion, the president and general manager.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Director Cycle and Cherry Cunningham. I'm happy to give you an update from VCRTC. We have a lot going on at Skytrain as usual and really pleased to give you a taste of everything we have on our box next slide please, in addition to my comments on delivering service, preparing for our future and our work culture, today i'll give you a taste of our twenty twenty five business plan. But if we flip to the next slide, I will be starting with a very exciting development at our end, which is that the Mark fives are now testing during revenue service. This is a really important milestone for us. It started a couple of weekends ago where we are running the trains still in test mode, so no customers on board, running the trains in amongst our other revenue trains during service. This is a really important step in making sure that the new trains interact well with the other trains on the system and all our other automatic train control systems and communications. So far, so good. The early indications from the tests are very promising and we are still on track to introducing the Mark fives into revenue service in the first.
Speaker 13: Half of this year.
Speaker 2: The Mark fives will become the backbone of our fleet, and so we're really excited to approach this milestone and be able to offer larger, more comfortable trains with more capacity for our customers. Next slide please. In February this year, we introduced our twenty twenty five business Plan for BCRTC. This is the document that we share with all our employees. It's digital and it allows us to all make sure that we all working on similar initiatives, coordinated across the organization, breaking down silos to make sure that we're delivering on what is coming in front of us. Some of the very key items that will be occupying us in the next twelve months include modernizing our maintenance division to be more preventive rather than reactive, preparing for the huge event next year, FIFA twenty twenty six coming to our region. I mentioned launching the Mark fives into service, and we have a couple of new facilities coming online which will really change how BCRTC is doing its work. We also have initiatives on our culture and training. All of that is documented in our business plan. It's our one stop shop for everything important going on at PCRTC and also our way of working across silos and across divisions, just for common initiatives that we want to make progress on next Live please, our metrics remain very strong, really happy to report that our customer satisfaction ratings, service delivery, on time, on time performance are all trending in the right direction. I'll point out our escalator and elevating elevator teams are doing phenomenal work and doing preventive maintenance to keep our elevating devices in a state of good repair. Our rail grinding program in twenty twenty four caught up after our hot summer and one hundred and ten kilometers of rail grinding to improve noise and reduce the level of noise that we impose on the region. And our boardings continue to increase. We had a significant jump in boardings in twenty twenty four. Early numbers in twenty twenty five are also showing continued increase and boardings on Skytrain an old testament to a region that really wants more Skytrain service, and as we see improved density and increased housing around our stations, we are finding the customer responding to our product and driving Skytrain more and more. Our growth in Skytrain boardings is well exceeding the population increase in the region.
Speaker 9: Next slide.
Speaker 2: Please, we did have some snow, one significant snow event in February. Our snow plan performed really well this year. Our team was very well prepared. We learned something new from every snow event. If you recall in February, the challenge this year was very difficult to predict snow. We had different predictions of different amounts of snow on different days. Sometimes the snow arrived when it was not predicted. At other times it was predicted and did not arrive, keeping our team on its stoes, and that lasted for about a week again off again snow. So we took all these learnings in as to when do immobilize, when do we demobilize, and how do we remain alert when we have these very marginal conditions which are difficult to predict. By and large, the system performed really well. The teams did excellent work and keeping Skytin moving and we, of course we're all in all our learnings into next year's winter plan. Next slide. In terms of other state of good repair items, one of the most noticeable projects is we have a very large escalator deplacement going on at Commercial Broadway that is needing completion. I'm happy to report we had to close a staircase as well, so we did impose some inconvenience on our customers. We've now been able to reopen the staircase which enabled the escalators to be replaced, so that project should be wrapping up and we should benefit from having new vertical circulation devices at that station. Behind the scenes, we've done a lot of work to improve the availability of maintenance resources during the times when we can do the work. If you see that picture of maintenance crews on the line overnight, we tend to forget how much work happens on Skytrain during the maintenance window overnight. So one of the items we did last fall was better matching availability of maintenance re sources with our maintenance windows, and now we're in a much better place to be able to maximize the work that we do when the system is available to us for maintenance. Next slide please. We recently were very thrilled to open upgrade at Brentwood station. This has been years in the making. Customers at Brentwood now have significantly improved vertical circulation with additional escalators and elevators, more retail opportunities, a space for detail has been made available so that will be coming soon. Improved faregates so more capacity, improved integration with the Brentwood Mall so easier to move between the station and the mall. And improved scepted client prevention through environmental design. So all of these things have been now open and available to our customers and happy to see a vision coming to reality and allowing us to provide better station environments for our customers. Next slide, please, I mentioned the testing of the Mark fives. Behind the scenes, we have several trains on the assembly line so to speak. I mentioned one is now in system testing. We have two other trains in the yard here at Edmunds. Three more trains and various stages of being assembled and manufacturing and transportation. So once we have the first train and service a bit later this year, we expect to be able to introduce an additional train every month or so for the remainder of the year. So we're targeting to have maybe around six to eight new trains and service by year's end, and the teams are working hard with our suppliers to make that happen. Next slide please. Another huge change for us at BCRTC which is becoming real as you can see in that photo, is our new control center. So the building is now up. It's being outfitted. The videal and console has been installed with all the background electrical mechanical systems being tested. Our readiness planning continues to move into that building and start operating towards the middle of next year. So a lot of work going on and really excited to finally move into our new control home at Edmonds here next slide please, And on the maintenance side, our first new maintenance facility, purpose built for the Mark fives is taking shape. We call it VMS three or Vehicle Maintenance Shop Free. We expect to open this facility late this year. It has been designed from the ground up with the necessary length and equipment for Mark five maintenance and it allows us to be able to expand and improve our train maintenance activities.
Speaker 9: Next slide.
Speaker 2: Please, you are well aware of the progress being made by the provincial teams delivering Broadway Subway Project and Study Language Skytrain. The BCRTC team continues to support the project delivery teams. We review designs, we make sure the installations are to our specifications and we work on real time problem solving as the construction continues. Both projects, I'm happy to report are own schedule. On our end, we have a lot of activities on making sure we are staffed and we are trained, and we have the equipment necessary to be able to operate and maintain these two major system expansions coming our Way Broadway Subway in twenty twenty seven and Study Langley in twenty twenty nine. Next slide, please, I will build on Kevin's comment around Canada Line. On the customer facing side, the station at Capston includes significantly improved vertical circulation amenities for our customers and also improved crime prevention through environmental design as well as it's our first all digital stations. Customer using that station, we'll see a lot more usage of digital signage, which improves maintenance and facilitates our ability to maintain a lot of the features at the station and provide better and more real time information for our customers. So really happy to see the station come online, and thank you to our partners at Canada Line who enabled this work to happen. Next slide, Please, On the team side, a lot goes on all the time at BCRTC. We recently completed a Certificate of Recognition audit through the Workspace BC and we achieved in ninety five percent audit score, which is remarkable. So really happy with the team achieving that we on the environmental side no reportable spills in the last quarter. That's something we keep an eye on and we've launched a turnet off campaign to do our part in making sure that we are reducing our environmental footprint and reducing use of carbon. On the readiness emergency readiness side with increased climate events severe climate events, we ran a tabletop exercise to improve our readiness for wind response. As you know, we have the Skybridge exposed to significant wins and that's one of the areas we need to be very ready for is when we have severe wind events, how does the team respond. So we ran a tabletop exercise for that event and my final slide echoing the comments from Kevin. We had both the Employee Recognition Day and the Transit Worker Ciation Day. We took the opportunity to be on the system to express our thanks to our teams. Everything I described is only possible with our teams working really hard night and day twenty four to seven to make it happen. We're also very pleased with internal cooperation with other parts of the Translink family. A couple of the photos in the bottom left their show internal appreciation from Transit Police to BCRTC employees for the very good collaboration that goes on between our two groups. So that is also part of us appreciating our teams and really being able to say a heartfelt thank you to the teams that make all this work happen. I believe that's my last slide, so happy to take any questions.
Speaker 25: Thanks Annie for that interesting and engaging presentation. Do any board members have questions or comments for Sanny? All right, none, thank you again. Well then turn now to a report from Close Mountain Bus Company, and that's for Michael McDaniel, the president and general manager. Michael great, thank.
Speaker 31: You, Thank you, board and public watching today. Happy to be here to present the president's report for CNBC. So let's go to the next slide to see the action packed agenda that I have as soon as it comes up, of course, there we go. The suspense was part of it, I think, so A handy dart and conventional bus update for the board today, looking back on winter as well for the bus company, a new battery electric bus that we are testing right now as we speak, some big news on the excuse me, big news on the trolley bus front, an update on a couple of our major projects as well, and reflections on recruitment, and I will close with talking about staff recognition as well. So that's great, Let's go to the next lot. So first off, on your side there, we'll take you through our bus and handi dart service and performance. On the conventional bus side, CNBC delivered one hundred and one percent of service compared to budget. This This is higher than one hundred percent due to the early implementation of about seventy thousand annual service hours from the twenty twenty four investment plan. For January twenty twenty five, has continued the implementation of these investments with additional service hours across more than thirty bus routes. Improvements included a new route three three eight East Fraser Heights in Surrey, which is a previously unserved community. Also, we extended service span on fourteen routes and in addition to that, six projects initiated by CNBC to address acute problem areas and improved to improvements to frequency to address overcrowding. On the handy dart side of things, we are returning to normal in Q four twenty twenty four, following the ATU job action that ceased at the end of September. For Q four twenty twenty four, ninety eight percent of requested trips were delivered. As always, this excludes client cancelations and lastly, on time performance was ninety percent, which is right on target for handy dart. Not excited, please, So I think we now with the weather today, we've reached the end of March and it's it's perhaps safe to say that we had a mile to winter. However, we did have a couple of days, a couple of opportunities to test our few of our new winter prepared preparedness items and initiatives. Regarding the Grip d tires that I've mentioned in previous meetings, we now have five hundred and seventy buses equipped with these new tires from Micheland. Our end years have been continuing to track their performance, always looking at all conditioned performance, not just snow but also wet roads and dry roads, as well as durability and impact on a fuel economy. Overall, these tires are performing extremely well and we're receiving great feedback both from transit operators and for maintenance staff. So that's good news there. Again, in regards to our sixteen articulated buses that I mentioned at a previous meeting, these buses were also assigned to roads with challenging terrain, terrain that usually requires us to pull our sixty foot buses off off the road. I'm pleased to tell the board that these buses performed extremely well and we pulled zero buses off the road during our winter this last number of months, so that was good news there.
Speaker 9: Next, like please.
Speaker 31: Now, you may have seen this looking bus on the roads in Metro Vancouver over the past a few months. We're starting we started last week even picking up some customers for a free rider to around around the region. We're testing this new type of zero mission battery electric bus from Latenda, Quebec based manufacture, and we're really trying to see how this might fit into our fleet and help us with our climate to meet our climate goals, called the elect Trip. It is a thirty foot bus and as you might imagine, falls kind of halfway between our forty foot conventional bus and a community shuttle. Next week the trial will end and the bus will return to Quebec, but our teams will look at the data and see how everything went. So interesting interesting tests there next slide please, So, as you may have seen in the news earlier this month, we've signed a contract with Celaris Bus and Coach for CNBC's next generation trolleybus fleet. Selearis, a European manufacturer, was selected based on their proven track record for service and ability to deliver cost effectively while meeting our fleet replacement timelines. Timelines are so important these days, and it was good to see that they could meet those. We intend to replace the entire existing fleet of two hundred and sixty two trolleybuses, but the contract does also allow for some possible expansion if we if we choose to do that, we expect to receive the first The first bus actually in not too much time, about a year a little over a year in mid twenty twenty six, with the remaining buses starting to be delivered in twenty twenty seven. We did get a taste of this Selari's bus when we did a demo in summer of twenty twenty three. That's pictured here on the slide with some of our team. In addition to having air conditioning which will make everyone a bit more comfortable on our trolleybuses, the most exciting thing about the Celaris bus is that they includ in motion charging. Now, as you know, our current trolleybus fleet is powered by the overhead trolley wires, but they cannot really go off wire for any great distance. The new fleet will use the overhead wires for propulsion, but also have a traction battery that charges while the bus is in motion. This will allow Celaire's buses to operate off wire for about twenty kilometers, whereas our current fleet is really a couple hundred meters at most. This will give our fleet planners schedulers more flexibility and we'll be able to handle detours and blockages and unplanned issues with ease. So very exciting times for our trolleybus fleet. Next slide please, so just a couple updates on our infrastructure projects. Marpole Transit Center, which is, as a reminder, our next bus depot and maintenance facility that is currently under construction in South Vancouver. The facility will be our first purpose built battery electric bus depot, and we'll have capacity of about three hundred battery electric buses at opening. You see a picture here on the screen as is construction just from the beginning of March made. Your work so far been about driving piles into the ground, in fact, a little over three thousand piles. You can see some of the picture there on your screen. So lots of work going on there for pork equivalent transit centers. To a quick update, we finish early works and are moving on to main works to renovate, expand and electrify that transit center. Upgrades to PTC will add service capability for battery electric buses and double decker buses and improve maintenance capacity for expansion. Now regarding the last item for contact, CNBC is currently either at or beyond capacity at our transit center's meeting. We're really running out of room to park to park buses. A pilot to mitigate this issue will launch in June in a couple of months called Satellite Parking, and buses will be cleaned, fueled, and any necessary maintenance performed at a depot, but then moved to an off site parking location. So they're poised and ready to book out the next morning. In this particular case, the area that's being used as an operator layover lot near Newton Exchange in Surrey that we currently in. So if this pilot is successful, satellite parking could be utilized across our system as an ongoing strategy to help with incremental expansion. Next slide. Please, So I've I've talked a lot about future things, and the future would be nothing without really great people, and so I wanted to share some strategies around hiring these great people at CNBC. For transit operator recruitment, things have come a long way over the years. Our teams from Operations, HR, Training and others have become experts at hiring transit operators, and this year we will aim to hire the largest number of transit operators in recent memory. Actually, in twenty twenty four we hired six hundred and eighty transit operators and this will grow to eight hundred and twenty new operators for twenty twenty five. On the maintenance side, we are focusing on increasing CNBC's hiring presence at external career fairs, secondary school student presentations, shop and garage tours, hands on job shadowing for groups such as bctc's Women in Trades program. We know that kids begin to think about careers in high school and college, and though it takes some time, we are finding that peaking their interest early in life will have big paybacks for us. Lastly, in twenty twenty four, CNBC has crafted our own separate and unique voice on LinkedIn. We have a couple of goals, building company pride of course being one of them, but also helping highlight recruitment opportunities. Each month, we highlight at least one job opportunity to draw attention to positions that are either difficult to fill or that we need to fill quickly, and we've shared a number of job opportunities from different departments to showcase the diversity of roles at CNBC Next Life. Please promised another nod to our great staff. We close up the month of March. March is a big month for staff recognition throughout the transit industry. Not only did we celebrate March seventh, National Employee Appreciation Day, but also March eighteenth, the Transit Operator and Worker Appreciation Day. This year, we took advantage to celebrate both days and show our employees how much we appreciate them. On March seventh, executives and leaders seventy actually from across the enterprise, We're out and about thanking employees in person, both inside our facilities and out on the system. I was able to make it from the tricities to the north Shore to New Westminster.
Speaker 29: It was a good day.
Speaker 31: Saying hi to our staff. On March eighteenth, we celebrated our employees with coffee, treats and other special items inside our facilities. So just another shout out and a big thank you to our six three hundred employees at CNBC for everything they do every single day. And a last slide, please that brings me to the end. That is a picture of one of our managers, Gary, Thank you one of our team. So that brings me to the end of my presentation and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 25: Thanks Michael for that presentation. Any board members have any questions or comments for Michael.
Speaker 28: Lorraenen, I just wanted to say, on behalf of the board, how much we want to appreciate all the workers at Translink as well. I've heard, you know, We've heard from Kevin from Sanny and from Mike about this appreciation day.
Speaker 6: And I just can't say.
Speaker 28: Enough about how valuable our employees are and how much the board appreciates the work that they do as well.
Speaker 25: Thanks Laren, well said, any other comments or questions from board members? All right, seeing none, Thank you, Michael, and we'll turn now to report from the Transit Police, and I turned over to Chief Suzannemuir.
Speaker 32: Thank you so much, Director Secle, Good morning, Chair Cunningham, Director's Board and everyone attending today. Very pleased to provide you an update with the activities of.
Speaker 30: The Transit Police.
Speaker 32: We'll be sharing with you today some crime statistics and occurrences, the important work of our explosive Detection Dog team of they are the only dedicated explosion detection dog team in Canada. Increased visibility. How our CSO program and Community Policing Center volunteers are contributing and building on that theme and an important one of employee recognition. Next lide, Please, this is the second consecutive year where Transit Police is seeing a decline in the volume of reported crimes, and this is actually the third straight year we have seen declines in crime rate. When you account for increasing passenger.
Speaker 30: Volumes coming out of COVID.
Speaker 32: Despite the decrease, there are some crime types where we have seen increases, and those three are robberies, which are up from twenty seven instants in twenty twenty three to thirty seven in twenty twenty four, Sex assaults up from seventy two in twenty twenty three to ninety eight in twenty twenty four, and assaults against police, which were up from fifteen incidents in twenty twenty three to twenty incidents in twenty twenty four. Those are crime categories we look to focus OFFICERIR efforts and look to continue to decrease those numbers. Next life, please.
Speaker 30: At around seven pm on February twenty fifth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 32: Five, a passenger on board a skytrain leaving at twenty nine Skytrain station reported a man holding a gun. Transit police intercepted the train in shape object was actually a lighter. This is just one recent example of reports which Transit police regularly receives from passengers each month about lighters made to resemble realistic firearms. In twenty twenty four a loan we responded to thirty two such incidents. I will note that these have been occurring as well throughout the different jurisdictional areas in the Lower Mainland.
Speaker 30: In January twenty twenty.
Speaker 32: Five, correct proactively, we created a video on gun shaped lighters by our communications team as we work to educate the public that these devices should never be brought onto the transit system. All reports of firearms on the transit system are treated extremely seriously and the resulting police response can put safety at risk.
Speaker 30: We are all working to look to.
Speaker 32: Have legislative changes made around possession of these items as well.
Speaker 30: Next live please.
Speaker 32: In twenty twenty four, our Explosive Detection Dog team made over four five hundred proactive sweeps of the bus loops, trains, transit platforms, stations and other transit infrastructure. They responded to nearly one hundred calls for service related to concerns such as suspicious packages or unattended and the majority of fifty were suspicious packages and thirty two were unattended. To give you contexts, an example from late January involved a passenger reporting an unattended bag left under the stairs at Stadium station.
Speaker 30: The station was closed and photos were.
Speaker 32: Sent or a canine team member who was quickly deployed and confirmed that the bag was not a concern and the station was immediately opened thereafter. Beyond those sweeps and patrols, they also assisted our patrol teams over two hundred and fifty occasions, handling another one hundred and seventy one calls for service, and provided mutual aid to jurisdictional police partners and explosive threats events on three dozen occasions. Next live please.
Speaker 30: In twenty twenty four.
Speaker 32: It's the first year where we've had the full complement of the twenty four Community Safety Officers out on the transit system, and they've been working hard at ensuring transit passengers employees are safe, including the checking the well being of individuals who may need assistants. And again just to give you context examples of the work they're out there doing every day. In one instance, they were flged down by citizens who reported a sexual assault and the Community Safety officers took down a detailed description of the suspect. It was communicated to our frontline police officers who located and arrested the suspect While conducting fair enforcement. An individual who was in emotional distress came forward to our CSO officers. They assisted the individual ensuring they felt safe and comfortable in the station environment until authorities could arrive and transport this individual to hospital. A final example, they're out on foot patrolling a station and they hear a local broadcast about a theft that just occurred nearby, and they were able to locate the suspects outside the station, communicating their whereabouts until our police officers attended the scene. So excellent, just their visibility and their observations that are occurring next light.
Speaker 30: The Transit Police is community policing center.
Speaker 32: It's based out of the Waterfront Station and it really continues to play such an important role in the safety and wellness of transit riders and persons who are in vulnerable situations on or around the transit citation system.
Speaker 30: At the end of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 32: We've been able to advance the program to a total of ninety six volunteers and combined approximately three thousand and eight hundred volunteer hours spent engaging the public at events, patrolling in downtown Vancouver on the North Shore, and partnering with our neighborhood police officers and other specialty sections on a range of projects. It is also a transition program. Police to share that thirteen volunteers were successful in moving into a career in public safety, including some of those here.
Speaker 30: At Transit Police.
Speaker 32: And this just really provides an excellent opportunity for those who want to build their experience in public safety with an interest in transit safety and law enforcement. So many events they were engaged over fifty five community events in twenty twenty four, interacted with one hundred and ninety vulnerable persons, were able to give out one hundred and fifty coal weather items to persons in vulnerable circumstances, and the important eight seven seven seventh, Over ten thousand decals, cards and slap band advertising on the tech service were distributed, creating greater awareness.
Speaker 30: Next Live please.
Speaker 32: And finally, I also want to end just with the importance of recognition. So you know, such an honor us to participate in Employee Appreciation Day across the enterprise to recognize our employees and those working hard across the system and collaboration we all were able to also hear a trans Police hold our own annual awards ceremony to recognize Transit Police employees who made extraordinary efforts to serve the public and their coworkers. A few examples for recognition. You know to off us who ran into oncoming traffic to shield a young child who was running into a busy roadway. We had two officers who investigation into theft at Lululemon location led over to one hundred thousand dollars in recovered merchandise from across the region and these individuals were using the transit system to move that product. And a civilian professional crime analyst who successfully identified a suspect in a series of reported sex offenses. This year was the first year as well we introduced this Warren Officer of the Year and Civilian Professional of the Year. And Constable Sunny Ken was our inaugural sworn Officer of the Year and incredible work he's doing in community at tending countless events. He's the president of our Transit Police Social Club and spent significant time outside in volunteer work hours working in community raising over one hundred thousand dollars for cancer research and care. And Kelly Steel are civilian professional. She has been busy doing a lot of the training. We've shared the full day of Indigenous experiential learning that all police officers and their civilians were involved in and She's been recently recognized as well for work with Oldheimer's BC to develop dementia training for all.
Speaker 30: Our officers in the organization. So it's a ward we look to continue to build on each year.
Speaker 32: And I'll just ask you to move to the final slide and I'll welcome any questions anyone may have.
Speaker 25: Thank you, thanks, Chief mir and thanks to you and all of your everyone at trends ARE please for helping to keep our system safe. Any do any board members have any questions or comments for Chief Miir, I right not seeing any. Thank you so much. Now we turn to the part of our agenda are Committee's report. Our four committees report on their meetings from last week. The first of those committees is Finance and Audit Committee, which I share, so I'll provide that report. We had a busy meeting because it's the first meeting after the end of the year. We considered some items that are on the agenda later in this meeting, namely the transit tariff amendment, a statutory annual report, audited financial statements, and the financial and ear end financial and Performance Report. So we'll leave those items to deal be dealt with later in our consent in the consent agenda for today. There's also a report that we considered which is about the maintenance and operation of our bridges in the Translink system. Other matters that we're discussed were the rail expansion program, a status update on the work that is being done to prepare for the Broadway Subway and Surrey Langley's scot Train extensions. You heard quite a bit about in Sandi Zion's report, and everything seems to be on track for opening day. We also received the report on the status of the provincially led work to construct those extensions on the Broadway Subway and the Surrey Langley Skytrain. We had an overview of the work in the past year on the real estate development, so the Real Estate Development Annual Report and quarterly update tequilar emphasis on the largely residential tower project at Arbutus and Broadway in Vancouver. We always received the safety update in these meetings because safety is important throughout the Translink enterprise. The boards of each of the operating companies also received reports on the safety records in each of the rail and bus operations. We review the safety goals for twenty twenty five and reviewed the public safety campaign that trans conducted recently, we also considered emergency management. Since the last report, activities by Translink and its operating companies have included plining for and responding to winter weather, and you heard a little bit about that earlier. And then also large public gatherings, particularly like the Taylor Swift concerts late last year, we learned about more about business and continuity, integrated security and the training and exercise work that goes on to make sure that we're always prepared for emergencies. Emergency management personnel were also engaged in various enterprise projects, including the Enterprise Resiliency Working Group, climate Adaptation and seismic resiliency programs, all of which are important and you heard some of that in the reports from the various operations. And finally, we had an annual check in on the status of the funds received and invested. When toils were ended on the Golden Ear's Bridge, as you may call over, was a significant payment from the province at the time, and we make sure there were being good stewards of those funds as according to previous board policy. So that's what we considered at our last meeting. If anyone has any questions for me, about that report, I'm happy to entertainment see none takes us to the next committee report, which is Planning Communities and Communications, and they'll turn it over to the chair Andrew Rymer.
Speaker 33: Thank you, Director Secle. So not unlike the Finance Committee, we had a lot of our annual reports coming this cycle. Those included the annual Accountability Report, which is on this agenda and which you spoke to. The annual reports from the user advisor committees for Accessible Transit, including the User Advisory Committee and the Handy ed Art User Advisory Committee, also.
Speaker 2: On this agenda.
Speaker 33: Other annual things we did we received the annual and discussed the annual Summary of customer.
Speaker 30: Information.
Speaker 33: We did the annual review of our terms of reference and duties and responsibility of the Committee.
Speaker 6: We also did well.
Speaker 30: This one's interesting.
Speaker 33: As we've moved through in the pandemic, we did a ridership recovery on an almost daily hourly basis of those reports, but definitely of re quarter. We've been sort of gradually transitioning that and this most recent Planning Committee I think probably marks the full transition to Metro Vancouver Transportation trends twenty twenty four. I think what's most notable about this report is that it includes trip diary information, which we haven't had since twenty seventeen, so it was very I would think of as a chunky report that we got to kind of dive into some really good statistics looking at.
Speaker 2: Trends in the region.
Speaker 33: We also did our regular quarterly updates on government relations and public affairs, communications and marketing, customer experience, and Indigenous relations. I might note on that last one that a couple significant events at the musk we Am. We're on hand for the opening at Capstan, which I know the CEO also spoke to, but to note that, and also the first ever chancelling delegation in the memorial March on February fourteenth for the missing and murdered Indigenous woman that takes place in the downtown east Side. We also at every meeting receive our Board correspondent summary the Planet committees where that goes, so when people are getting ahold of the Board through various avenues, that is where we receive that summary. And then also the key construction projects update. And that was it for our committee.
Speaker 25: Thanks Andrea. Anyone have any questions or comments for Andrea seeing none of that takes us to the report of the Human Resources and Governance Committee. I'll turn it over to the committee chair, Jen Chan.
Speaker 33: Thanks Alan.
Speaker 34: We also had a very productive meeting at the HRGC Committee. We discussed and have made recommendations to the Board on revisions to trans thinks Respectful Workplace policy, and that was to clarify processes and procedures and to update information on how to express a concern and those changes are in the boards can sent agenda today. We also receive status reports on some key initiatives, including the HR Digital Transformation Program, and that involves adopting HR technologies to enable more data driven decisions, improve processes, and increase efficiency, all with the aim of improving employee experience. So this program is proceeding well and continues to be under budget. We also receive the People in Culture Department's quarterly report, and I'd like to highlight just a few of the key efforts and outcomes from that report, including continued work on leadership development programs to support staff in growing in their careers, also listening to employee interests and concerns through an employee engagement survey, supporting employee resource groups to enhance our culture of inclusion at Translink, and some targeted efforts to recruit some business critical positions such as maintenance, cybersecurity, and engineering. The results of those efforts were also things that we heard, including decreasing voluntary turnover rates in each of the last three years for the organization, as well some very strong interest from applicants at our job fares and as Mike McDaniel noted earlier, resulting in some great success hiring transit operators and community shuttle operator positions, which are of course essential for Transling. We also resumed materials in preparation for this year's work, including the Committee's terms of reference, our completion checklist for the Committee's duties from twenty twenty four, and feedback on the effectiveness of the new director orientation program.
Speaker 25: Thanks Jen. Any questions or comments for Jen, It's not our fourth committee as the IT Committee and Alternative Chair Tracy readies for her report.
Speaker 35: Thank you Director Seckel. Again, another very busy meeting for the IT Committee. Like all the other committees, we received comprehensive reporting on the annual IT program and the status of the major IT projects that the IT Committee is following, including the HR Digital Transformation Program, that Director Chan spoke about management is continuing to thoroughly monitor and mitigate the IT risks that are out there, including cybersecurity. We also received and discussed at length the Enterprise Digital Strategy and Roadmap, which was very thorough and very well received by the committee. This is a very exciting strategy and path forward for the organization that is about leveraging the organization's digital strengths and opportunities to improve the customer experience, enhance employee engagement, and to optimize business processes. So I think we'll be looking for some very interesting things to I'm out of this strategy and roadmap in the years to come. Finally, the IT Committee also receive reviewed its terms of reference and conducted some other routine annual reviews. Thank you, mister Share.
Speaker 25: Thanks Tracy. Any questions or comments or Tracy see none. That takes us to the next part of our agenda, which is a presentation on the Metro Vancouver transportation trends, and I'll turn it over to Sarah Ross, our VP of Transportation Planning and Policy, and Ellen Elgar, our director of Research and Analytics.
Speaker 2: Good morning, every thank you so much.
Speaker 36: I'm very pleased to introduce Alan Elgar, who is our director of Research and Analytics, who will lead our item for this.
Speaker 24: Hi.
Speaker 21: Good morning everyone. So in this presentation, I'm going to provide information about regional transportation trends from two sources. The first one is early findings from the twenty twenty three Triptari Regional Survey and the second one is findings from our ongoing monitory of the transportation system. So with regard to the Trip Diary, it is a large household survey that we conduct every five years or so and that provides us detailed information about trouvel behavior of people across the region. This data is then used to inform planning initiatives by translating municipalities and other regional authorities. Next slide. Please, So, the last Trip Diary was conducted in twenty twenty three and there are three important early findings that we would like to share from it. The first one is that the number of daily trips in the region increased by eight point six percent between twenty seventeen and twenty twenty three. This is a smaller increase than what we would have expected based on the growth in factors such as population and employment and or ownership in the region, and I'll talk a little bit more about it later. The second finding is that there was a substantial growth in sustainable chair and in twenty twenty three it crossed for the first time the thirty percent milestone. And then the third fundings or highlight is that the number of vehicle kilometers travel traveled or VKT decreased by close to five percent between twenty seventeen twenty twenty three. This is the first time that VIKT in the region decreased and is a result of combination of two factors. The first one is that the number of auto trips decreased by about one and a half percent, and the second is that the average distance of auto driver trips decreased by about three percent. So the combination of the two of those led to about five percent decrease in VTT. So the last two points that I marked there are very encouraging, as increasing sustainable modechair and reduction in VKT are two of the main objectives of the Regional Transportation Strategy Transport twenty fifty and the findings that the region a crossed the thirty percent sus terrible mochair and experienced reduction in VCT are significant milestones to reaching these objectives. Now about this line that we see here in front of us. Going back to the number of trips, the reason that we would have expected larger growth in trips between twenty seventeen and twenty twenty three is that, as can be seen, growth in factors such as population, jobs, and auto ownership in that during that period was similar to the growth in these factors between twenty eleven and twenty seventeen. However, the increasing the number of trips between twenty eleven and twenty seventeen was close to twenty five percent, while the growth in the number of trips between twenty seventeen and twenty twenty three was below nine percent. So we have very similar background factors that lead to fairly different results in terms of the overall number of trips in the system.
Speaker 6: So we think that.
Speaker 21: The difference could be explained at least partially by the significant significant increases in work from home and use of delivery services. But there could be other reasons why people make fewer trips and perhaps engage in fewer activities in the region, and we'll try to look at it over the next.
Speaker 23: Year or so.
Speaker 21: Next like please so as I mentioned before, sustainable motor went increase significantly and crossed the thirty percent. Sustainable motare is calculated as the sum of transit walk and bike mode chairs, and as can be seen the graph, the increase in sustainable motuair is mostly the result of a large growth in walk mochair from about fourteen and a half percent in twenty seventeen to two over eight eighteen percent in twenty twenty three. The biking motor also went up slightly during this period, but transit motor experienced a small decrease. Another important observation from this graph is that auto driver motor declined substantially from close to fifty five percent in twenty seventeen to about fifty percent in twenty twenty three. Next light, please, so here we are shifting from talking about the trip diary to talking about the ongoing monitoring efforts that we have so looking more at the system in twenty twenty four, and the first thing that we see is that the overall number of trips in the system by all modes was fairly stable in twenty twenty four. When talking about transit, last year, transit leadership grew by three point three percent. This growth is in line with the annual growth the transit system experience in pre COVID years and suggests that the larger ridership increases the region experience as part of the COVID recovery is largely behind us, and going forward, ridership growth will mostly depend unusual factors such as growth in population, jobs, and economic environment. With regard to driving, daily traffic has been mostly stable since twenty twenty two and even declined slightly at the end of last year. At the same time, however, travel speeds during peak periods have been trending down and the reliability of travel times has been deteriorating. This means that congestion has generally gotten worse in the region over the last three years or so.
Speaker 19: And then.
Speaker 21: Talking about active modes, the main observations for active modes is that the amount of cycling is significantly influenced by seasonality. What I mean by that is that the number of bikes our sensors count in the peak months of summer is six to nine times higher than the number of bikes we count during the lower lowest months of the winter. Next slide please so, As I said earlier, ridership in the entire system increased by three point three percent in twenty twenty four. However, there was large variability in subregional growth levels. The subregions with the fastest ridership growth where the east part of the South of Fraser with eleven percent radioship increase and Maple Reach Peak Meadows with six percent increase. On the other hand, the Broad Peninsula and the North Shore experienced limited ridership growth. Next slide. Please, So that's it for the presentation. We just want to head that their report we submitted to the board includes information about these and other transportation metrics we track on an ongoing basis and use for informing decisions.
Speaker 2: And thank you very much.
Speaker 21: I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.
Speaker 25: Thanks Ellen, any discussion amongst board, Jen.
Speaker 24: Thank you very much for the presentation.
Speaker 34: Alon.
Speaker 24: We understand from some previous reports that newcomers to the region tend to be quite frequent users of public transit, and I'm wondering if you could please speak to the degree of confidence that we have in the trip diary survey reaching people who are new to the region, so that we can understand what their perceptions are as well, particularly if they may speak a variety of languages.
Speaker 21: Right, that's a really good question. So it's definitely a challenge because it's such a big We're talking about sixteen thousand households participated in the survey, and so that's probably around forty thousand individuals, and so it takes us a long time to clean the data and analyze it and so on until it can get here, and so we're already over a year behind when we actually collected the data. We do our best to contact as many people as possible. We actually, I think this time we set over seven hundred thousand letters to inviting households to participate in the survey. So I assume that at least half of the board received those ZERRAI those letters. Sorry for participation in terms, but there is a challenge in the sense that I think newcomers to the regions are probably less likely to participate just because they don't field yet part of the community. Potentially in terms of language barriers, we did introduce Chinese languages, Magarine and Cantonese as ways for people to participate in the survey. Generally speaking, we tried we checked in previous years how much of a language barrier there is, and it didn't seem to be a big language barrier. Might be more of a cultural barrier, or again, people that are not feeling part of the community yet that are less likely to participate in the survey.
Speaker 25: Thanks, any other questions or comments on this topic, all right, I don't stan any, So thank you Allen and Sarah for the presentation. We're moving on to several ams to deal with financial reports, and I'm turning it over to Patrice. But before it just a reminder that the financial statements that are being considered and approved are the financial statements stated March twenty one, twenty twenty five. So the tray self centered over to you.
Speaker 37: Great, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that.
Speaker 37: With me is Olga Cousinsiba, our vice president financial services, and she'll join me for this report and a few of the following reports as well. Now, in our year in Financial Performance report, we outline our key accomplishments in twenty twenty four along with our financial results and our performance trends, and so I'll summarize kind of some of those key points in this presentation.
Speaker 6: Next, I please.
Speaker 37: Well, writership, as you heard growth in twenty twenty four was steady with an overall increase of three point three percent over last year, and that was driven by population growth and more commuters turning to transit throughout the year. This led to higher transit revenues, which grew by seven percent. The cost of recovery rate show also improved by point four percent, and that's despite continued inflation and labor cost impacts and pressures on our costs. Expenses were favorable to budget do in large part to almost twenty million dollars of cost reductions that were identified as part of the Management Action Plan. Next slide. Please Every week, nearly one million people take transit at least once, which means around one third of Metro Vancouver's population relies on transit every week. In fact, the reliance on transit has grown so much that we are now second in Canada in writership for capita, behind only Montreal. A number of people who depend on transit in this region as a testament to how integrated transit is to everyday life and how important our service is to Metro Vancouver's economy. Next slide, Please now keep focus for twenty twenty four was to continue to prepare for expansion. Will also increase our service hours. Now through the twenty twenty four investment plan, we've been increasing those hours service hours on the most overcrowded bus routes, and it's heard from Sandy earlier, we've also been preparing for the largest skytrain expansion in our history. So when in service, the Broadway Subway and the Surrey Langley Skytrain extensions will expand our skytrain system by twenty seven percent, which means that preparations are already well under way to make sure we have the facilities and the staff ready for the opening of each line. And most notably, we look forward to the new Skytrain cards, which Sandy's team are currently testing as he mentioned next slide, Please so move on to revenues. As I mentioned, we saw a three point three percent increase in ridership and a seven percent increase in transit revenues reflecting that additional service hours, and so that shows us a positive variance to our budget. In twenty twenty four, there was a one time property tax increase of eighty million dollars which enabled investment in the added service hours to dress over crowding. This increase in property tax and the corresponding service investments were approved in the twenty twenty four Investment Plan that took place after the twenty twenty four budget was approved, so this revenue shows as a positive variance to the twenty twenty four budget. These additional revenues helped offset the lower fuel tax revenue which continues to decline, and even more so than was expected in the budget. Development cost charges were above budget and that reflects delivery of capital projects, some of which had been delayed in twenty twenty three. And just as a reminder, these development revenues are restricted can only be used for eligible capital projects, so they can't be used for our operating expenses. And next slide and we'll turn to operating expenses. Well across the organization. Given our funding challenges, there was a real focus on prudent cost control and financial optimization measures which resulted in operating savings in twenty twenty four, and this included almost twenty million of cost savings achieved through the Management Action Plan. So that meant that even with our increased service hours approved in the twenty twenty four Investment Plan, we were able to come under budget in twenty twenty four. Next slide, now turning to capital investments. This chart highlights the total investments that are helping us to repair for our future expansion, the largest investment areas being major construction, facilities and vehicles. Investments in capital projects in twenty twenty four were eight hundred and seventy six million dollars and that's a significant increase over twenty twenty three, again based on those expansion plans. In addition, there was eighty six million dollars in infrastructure contributions to municipal programs. That was also an increase over twenty twenty three. Sandy and Mike shared a number of the major projects included in the in the capital program, so we won't go through them all here, but just a reminder the new mark for trains, our new cap stand station. We had work on the operations and control center to support the Broadway subbody project, and maybe just also to add the transformation of one hundred and seventy nine bus stops to wheelchair accessible and that exceeded the target of one hundred and fifty next slide, please, So just to summer summarize in twenty twenty four, while maintaining fiscal prudence to manage those inflationary pressures. Transit continue to invest in safety and reliability, with expenditure's target towards improving our state of good repair and the perception of safety on the transit system, as well as advancing those key regional initiatives. And that's why it was so important that we advanced not only an efficiency review in twenty twenty four, but that set of cost optimization measures and revenue generating actions to make sure that we're doing everything we can independently to mitigate our funding gap. Those actions are well underway. In the long run, we'll save costs or generate revenue of an average of ninety million dollars per year for the organization in twenty twenty four, with ridership and revenue growth and target is savings. Through that efficiency review, investments were made in preparing for expansion and an additional service, while expenses were managed below budget. And as Transit continues to work with the province to continue to address its structural deficit and develop a sustainable financial model to support growth in our region, we will continue to focus on managing expenses and maintaining our services and with that a will time turn it back to you any questions.
Speaker 25: There's any questions on the arine financial performance report.
Speaker 30: There we can thank you very.
Speaker 27: Much and thank you very much for the report.
Speaker 6: I'm just curious.
Speaker 27: It's actually more I don't see the power point in our deck and am I missing it or were we provided with the slide duck?
Speaker 25: I don't recall seeing it in my militarily there.
Speaker 27: So okay, can can I just ask that that gets sent sent out?
Speaker 6: If that's okay?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 5: Or will okay?
Speaker 34: Thank you?
Speaker 25: Any other questions or comments see none that takes us to the twenty twenty four statutory annual report, which requires a decision by the board.
Speaker 37: So Patrice, Yeah, just to summarize that KPMG or external auditors audited or consolidated financial statements. They've concluded that they fairly present the consolidated financial position and results of operations of the authority as of December thirty one, twenty twenty four, and has noted the statements are dated March twenty first, twenty five. Translink again received an unqualified audit opinion. And I would just maybe take this moment to thank Olga and her entire finance team for all the work throughout this year end in completing the financial reporting and Altnate back to you.
Speaker 17: Thanks.
Speaker 25: So there are two items to approve for us. One is the actual annual report and then the others the consolidated financial statements. So I don't know if anyone has any questions about either of those items before we moved to the to the resolutions. If not, The resolution for the report is that the Translin Port of Directors approves the twenty twenty four annual Statutory Annual Report mandaged dated by the South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Act has presented in attachment one to the report and authorizes the release of the twenty twenty four Statutory Annual Report to the Mayor's Council on Regional Transportation to some make that motion seconded by Lorraine. Any discussion on the motion if not all in favor and he posed seeing none, that passes. And then we also have the audited consolidated financial statements. I don't know, Patrisia Older, do you have any other comments about the statements or then the resolution we have for that is that the Transling Board of Directors approves that twenty twenty four audited consolidated financial Statements attached to the report entitled twenty twenty four Audited Consolidated Financial Statements dated March twenty one, twenty twenty five, and authorizes the Board Chair and Finance and Audit Committee Chair to sign the approved consolidated Financial Statements. To have someone to make that motion, Lorraine, thank you, and seconded by Gordon and all in favor and he opposed. Seeing then that Harris, okay. That takes us to item fifteen then, which is the Transit Tariff Amendment, and the Terresa roglove to speak to that.
Speaker 37: I will take that and we've got the slide Terffic. So this next is my final report.
Speaker 6: We'll walk through.
Speaker 37: It is the Transit Tiff Amendment which adjusts the transit fares for twenty twenty five, so not to be confused with trade tariffs. So we'll move to the next slide.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 37: Has provided a bit of background on this year's fair increase. Like household expenses, translinks expenses have been increasing with inflation. The Translink has limited fare increases to an average of two point three percent between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty four to keep rates affordable. Since twenty twenty, fair increases have either been canceled or capped under the rate of inflation, which can has contributed to TransLink's revenues falling below behind the growth and costs. So this year's four percent increase, which will be effective July first, was approved in the twenty twenty four investment Plan, so we're recommending that to enact this by law to implement the twenty twenty five fair increase. If you could go to the next slide, just a little bit of background on historical fares. You can see that the variation the fair increase over the past few years and their relationship to inflation on this chart, and the four percent increase will help our revenues to catch up after being held below the inflation rate for those past five years. Blue being inflation and red being the fares on this chart. Next sign one more. This is looking at a little bit a different way, which is showing the cumulated increase in inflation over the years. That's the blue line relative to the cumultive increase in fares, which is the red line. So you can see here that over the multi year impact where fares have not kept up with inflation. So the twenty twenty five increase will help narrow the gap that fares will continue to be below the accumulated inflation over the year.
Speaker 6: Next slide.
Speaker 37: Does the summary of the fare increases. Concession fares will increase ten to fifteen cents, and adult fares fifteen to twenty five depending how many zones are traveled. Adult monthly passes increase four dollars and thirty cents to seven seventy five, and concession monthly passes increase two dollars and forty five cents. So as comparison, even after these increased, translit does continue to have some of the lowest fares of all major transit agencies in Canada. Translate to new bus cash fare will be equal to Toronto's and lower than Montreal, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa. Customers who use stored value receive further discounted rates, and even when factoring in zones only Edmonton transit users will pay less than our riders due on average. So that concludes my presentations, but did take any questions?
Speaker 25: Thanks Patrice, any discussion.
Speaker 33: Andrea, yeah, thank you and thanks for the presentation. First comment slash question is if you can make the presentation available on somewhere maybe asn't a shanned item linked to. Okay, the written material is great that we've got, but maybe not so easy to decipher for people reading about fair transit teriff amendments for the first time. The second question kind of relates back to the delegation earlier. I mean, four percent can be tough for certain folks to absorb, but in general, and you see this in board correspondence reports, a probably more latent concern for people can be the fairness to them individually. And so this question that was asked about you know, going over one you're going one stop, but you end up paying for two zones, and there's other examples I could given the system. Can you talk a bit about some of the limitations to us of changing the fare of structure as it sits right now?
Speaker 37: Yeah, I can start an and Sarah feel free to jump in. One of the limits is with our current system with Compass that can manage the zones. What was brought up was the desire to move to distance based fares, and that will be something that we will be looking at as we look to replace the Compass Compass system and go out to market for that.
Speaker 6: Did you want to add anything, Sarah.
Speaker 36: Just concur that we acknowledge that the current zone structure is a crude proxy for distance and that within some zones you can travel a long way and then if you happen to do a short trip that crosses a zone border, then you incur a higher fare for trips on the gated system. Of course, on bus all regardless of the distance, all bus trips are one zone. We did a twenty seventeen fair review that recommended shifting to distant space. That remains our policy approach and is something that as we need to upgrade our compass system to be able to achieve that.
Speaker 30: Okay, that's super helpful.
Speaker 33: And then the last question is around low income access that if people simply can't absorb these fares into their monthly or annual budget, can you talk a bit about the options available to them.
Speaker 36: Certainly I can do that. There Translink the province provides options through the BC Bus pass that for people who are low income and seniors or low income and people with disabilities, and it is Translink. We have previously reported to both the Board and the Mayor's Council on our recommendation that that there should be further expansion of access to people with people who are low for low income. It's while transit is done differently in different cities and in some places, it's and how support for low income people beyond transit is done differently in different cities, and so some agencies directly provide more discounts.
Speaker 9: That's not the role.
Speaker 36: That's not how things are structured in British Columbia. And so we do recognize that we need to look at affordability and that people who are very low income need further support. We see that as the role of the province to play.
Speaker 6: That's helpful.
Speaker 33: Thank you very much.
Speaker 25: Thanks for that those clarifications. Any other questions or comments on this item. It's not we have a resolution to pass and I'll read it to you. It's that the Transland Board of Directors on introduces and reads a first, second, and third time the South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Tariff by Law number one six zero Dash twenty twenty five attached to this Reporter's attachment one effect of July first, twenty twenty five and two reconsiders and finally adopts the South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Tariff by Law number one six zero Dash twenty twenty five. Someone make that motion, Darlene, seconded by Lorraine any discussion, all in favor, and he opposed, and that Carise, all right, thank you. And then I think the remaining item we have to deal with is our consent agenda. So could I have someone make a motion to adopt and approve the consent agenda? Stephen, thank you, and seconded by Tracy, all in favor and he posed not that Carise, And that gets us to the conclusion of our public meetings. So thank you everyone for joining us today and we look forward to interacting with you again in our next public media Thanks very much.
Speaker 3: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.