Speaker 1: Welcome to Get Big Out Loud Radio, where we explored living the complex, funny and beautiful ride of life with me Carrie Knutson and Doctor Pat on Transformation Talk radio dot com. Are your thoughts keeping you small? Are you ready to get big? I will offer you ideas to transform what you are thinking into conscious action. Explore what is keeping you small and how to shift your behaviors in order to get big. Learn what is possible for you. Get ready to get big and live life out loud.
Speaker 2: Starting now, we have got a great show. I'm doctor Patt. I get to join the most incredible Carry Knutson on this show, her amazing show, her long running hit show. Today's topic is so on point. When Carrie picks a topic, I'm always like, o MG. She had to be here with me, She had to be here with me over the weekend, a little bit last week. This is the topic that I know most of you are going to be like, really, yeah, the things we can't rush. You got that, The things we can't rush. So what's doctor Patt's number one thing? Grandma is two day old amazing meet spaghetti sauce. You cannot crush. You cannot rush that. If you rush it, you don't get Grandma sauce. You get some version of sauce that doesn't really have any of the elements, the smoothness to taste. My friend would tell me, you can't rush a good bourbon, but I don't drink, so I don't know about that. Today, you're gonna hear what carry canuts and talks about. This is a culture where we value speed, not even little speed like mega speed you know, you ever you ever notice is carried like we're now in a culture where if we have to wait three seconds for the TV channel today, we're calling the TV provider like you hit the remote right right, Well.
Speaker 3: Most people don't know what time before remotes when you actually had to physically get up and turn the channel, you know, like there was a time not that long ago when you just got up to turn it. Yeah, And that's why when we talk about the things you can't rush, there's so many things in our life we know we can't rush.
Speaker 1: But then the counter argument is like of society is like hurry up, and we're kind of our tension stands are getting you know, shorter, and that idea of like we can't even wait the three seconds to turn something.
Speaker 3: It's it's real, right. So that's the good part about talking of things today is there are some things we just can't rush and what is the value in bringing some consciousness to.
Speaker 1: Why is it hard to be patient for those things?
Speaker 3: Like you know, the two day, you know that saus you're gonna taste that your gonna is gonna taste so good. But in the time it takes to make it, some other things pop into your head about I could just do this easier, open it can and ragou and there's be.
Speaker 1: Done with it, you know, because I have done that.
Speaker 3: I have done that sy because I'm busy, right, And so that's what I wanted to bring up today because I do think it's important to like analyze a little bit about the culture messages that we get versus what is helpful to us internally. And the whole goal of the show is like, can we just become conscious of some ideas so then we can counter them without just being pushed by them.
Speaker 1: Like you do I really need, you know, to Can I have some patience? And what does patients mean anyway? Right? When you think about patience, Like, so I wanted to explore some of those topics today, like what we can and can't rush? What does patience really mean?
Speaker 2: Because well, tell me what patience is because most people don't understand it. I actually have to look up tenacity for an episode I'm doing, but people don't understand what patients or patients probably mean. Now with Grandma's sauce, you couldn't leave it. It's not a crop pop project, you understand. So that meant for two days you and not leaving the house, you understand. So what does patients mean?
Speaker 3: Well, I looked up because I wanted to counter it with like the definition, so I'm just gonna look. Yeah, the ability to this is go into Websters by the way, Okay, the ability to accept obstacles, delays.
Speaker 1: And adversity in a calm, self possessed, and uncomplaining manner. And when I read that, I'm like, oh, it's very hard to be calm self possessor when you're trying to be patient.
Speaker 3: And it sounds straightforward, right, but when you practice, when you try to practice it, but when's.
Speaker 1: The last time you're like, oh, I'm having a problem. Look at me being calm or self possessed or uncomplaining.
Speaker 3: We're kind of primed to do the opposite, and so I want to first of all, like why well, because sometimes in a world that says go faster, do more, it should have been done yesterday, give one hundred and ten percent. And if you're trying to be patient or live in the moment or take a beat, it's almost antithical to the pressure of society.
Speaker 1: So it's like, what's wrong with you that you're not, you know, responding like with what's next? Or hurry up? Or like even have you noticed like if someone like it is like on the way to I have this goal, did you reach it or not? And it's it becomes very much like yes, no, good, bad, I did or I didn't. And that's why it's hard to be patient too, because you want the end result, you know, to show itself. And so that's hard to in a society that like what's the end result? How did you get there? Not like how was the journey for you? No one ever said, like on the way to go, how was that journey for you along the.
Speaker 3: Way, And so focus on, you know, what what happened, what was the outcome?
Speaker 1: How quickly could you do it? Because efficiency has become another thing in our.
Speaker 3: Society like be efficient, Like don't just drive somewhere, drive and be listening to a podcast, or like drive me listen to your voice messages, or like have your book on tap so you can drive and listen, or like don't.
Speaker 1: Just make like a couple trips in after the grocery store, like you better get it all in one trip. We got to be efficient.
Speaker 3: And sometimes you're like why can't I take three trips in from the car, Like why can't I just drive somewhere and drive or just call somebody on the phone, not while driving and just call and just talk and like.
Speaker 1: Like what is this? You know?
Speaker 3: Drive? And I really think we have to look at society's idea of what it means to be productive, also how we're driven towards producing things and doing things, And then that leads to us also saying like if you meet somebody, sometimes how are you doing? If I'm busyda has become a feeling, an identity, sometimes a badge of honor.
Speaker 1: Like look at me, I'm so busy. It was a busy. And sometimes if you want to one up somebody go, oh, yeah, I know, I'm crazy busy, like and then we're all busy so then it's all okay. But if you just said, like, I'm what if you're not busy, then I do have worse are you? Are you okay? Like? But we right push that up on a pedestal, Well, look.
Speaker 2: At you're absolutely You know what, when I talk to our clients. We have a number of amazing hosts on the network, and I do meetings with them, but I will get these text messages I know you're really busy. I have never said I'm busy. I don't even use that word. Okay, you understand. I don't because I don't want to be busy. I want to be in harmony. I want to be in flow. But I'm shocked about how many people think I'm too busy to talk with them. And so I thought about that, and I thought, Okay, even if I don't say the word, am I demonstrating that I'm too busy? Am I doing something? But then the sanity check was no, I'm not. So what happens is I think about that and then I think, oh my gosh, they must be too busy. Now we're into a conversation and a story we just made up about everybody in the world being too busy. And none of it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but then also that's like to what if you didn't say you were busy, then like, what's wrong with you? Because everyone else I got, yeah, you know, like I'm busy.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we're But then at the same time find time for yourself, like the whole take care of yourself thing.
Speaker 1: But not really right because the rest of us are busy. And I think it's hard for some of us to just to see that busyness is different from like progress or actual movement. And sometimes we mistake that our busyness for making progress and we're just busy doing things, but are we making progress? Really, it's harder to see.
Speaker 3: That, And I think we have to identify the cultural norms first, which make us feel like I should have done that yesterday, I have got to hurry up, I've got to be busy.
Speaker 1: Getting like even for rest.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think about like the idea of like when you need to rest or your body needs to stop or you need to sleep, like that that's not productive time, but like is it because your body needs that, But we don't sometimes categorize that like, oh I'll figure it out, they'll sleep later. I used to think like oh God, you can sleep when you're dead. Why why do we need it now?
Speaker 1: Like I used to have to like really like go go go, And we have to counter that like is it productive to stop and rest? Is that still productive? Yes? Because your body needs that, like, but it doesn't look like you're doing something, And again countering these messages of like what is.
Speaker 3: My busyness about? Versus what I'm working on? Is am I making progress? And can you? Can you look at the duality too, of the like all or nothingness or the fact that I do feel like the idea of having patients is is almost antithical to most messaging that we're getting, Like when you make a goal, what are your smarkles?
Speaker 1: Can you measure it? Can you see it? Can you tell all the things? And smartles? Which I just get to the s like part and then I'm like, what is that? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: We try to like can we even in our lives, like trying to categorize things and measure them, and like every I don't have money these but you know the that can measure like your steps and your sleep and.
Speaker 3: Your heart beat and they can remind you to stand up and they can like so you can have a lot of measurements of all kinds of things. We can measure so many, so many things like and you can look at your workout, how long you worked out, what your heart rate was, how many mileage you want, whatever.
Speaker 1: But then so those are measurable, and we really like measurements because it's tangible. Then what up? How can I measure my healing progress? How do I measure trust being built in a relationship? How do I measure if I've gained some wisdom, like see how hard it is to be like And then our brain's like, well, these are facts and these are tangible. So then we lean towards that because we like to measure things.
Speaker 3: We like tangible, you know, acknowledgement of see what I did, see what I did, And that I think comes not only from society, but from the human need to like show other people, to get some recognition that if other people see my growth or I have something to show for what I did, I have something to show for it seeing what I can Here's and and I think it's that has its place, but it's it's to me, it's at.
Speaker 1: The expense of all of this other kind of growth over here that we miss out on if we're so focused on this, we miss it on that.
Speaker 3: And then and then I'll say this too, like feeling like a failure. I didn't reach my goal, so I failed, But you're like, did you do somethings chargeable? But maybe you learned something in that, because it's again it's that all or nothing. I either got my goal or I didn't.
Speaker 1: I either succeeded or I failed, either got my time or I didn't whatever thing. So then we're left with a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Feeling like failures instead of being able to say, well, what, let's talk about what you learned along the journey or that you're learning, or like, is.
Speaker 1: The end goal the really goal is? Or is it the tangible thing that you want to show people like? So I think that's worth exploring a bit in our own psychology. Becoor identity doesn't get wrapped up in achievement, right, it's more wrapped up and am I making progress? Versus did I achieve all those things with my smart gooles?
Speaker 2: I never could remember what the es and smart Goldsmith. I mean, I think it's interesting because let's talk about two things that you brought up and I want to make a distinction between busy and rushing, busy and rushing because people don't put those two together. They are two piece in a pod. They are two strange fella They are two strange bedfellows. And what do I mean by that? If somebody is in that busy busy busy energy? Can I call it energy for the moment? Right? Energy? Okay, let me ask you a question. Have you ever watched window people put window in windows in high rise buildings.
Speaker 1: When they're strapped into all that climbing gear.
Speaker 2: Busy is not something you find right. And it's really interesting how it shows up in language because part of this you mentioned about healing, and I want to mention something about healing. You know, look, I've gone through a healing journey. You've gone through it. Mine was ten years because it's not very easy if you use holistic medicine. And I had to use it because nobody else could figure out what's going on with me. That was my last option to healing, to feeling healthy. And I remember going into doctor Darbish's office my natural path the first time, right, And I go in and I bring her all my stuff and she does her magic and he says, well, the good news is you don't have this, and then she says, well, the other news is more to be revealed. And I looked at doctor Darbish like what what okay? And I'm waiting for the more like in that first visit, and then I walk out, just like I did the first time I met with my therapist in nineteen nine eighty. I don't know what and I said, okay, we're done now, right, okay. So that's that is the way we think about things though, right, It's like therapy, we're done yet, doctor Darvish, Are my fixed? If I am?
Speaker 1: I fixed? Am I done? Is it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I fixed? Am I done? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But to you the point, tell me what to do and then I'll do it, and then I'll be done. And sometimes that whole idea of like more to be revealed, that's a beautiful way to say it, like well you've got to start sometimes and then the next thing will come. But like notice again, in our in our psyche's almost like okay, we're done here, Like I said, the thing I've done.
Speaker 1: Like some things can't be rushed, but we are inclined to rush them. And I feel like I think for me, it's interesting kind of like you, I'm I notice if it's if, if I'm unchecked, I'm I'm not there FAI like, I want to do the next thing?
Speaker 3: And what sex I want to go? What sex on the schedule? What's next on the thing? What are we doing next? What do we finish?
Speaker 1: And I took a test, an assessment that a test, an assessment for emotional intelligence a few years back, and one of the things that came up that I was lower on was impulse control.
Speaker 3: And I was offended at first. I'm like, impulse control, I have impulse control.
Speaker 1: I totally do. And then I was like, what does that even mean?
Speaker 3: And I'm looking it up feeling like I failed because I got it. And this also is not a it's an assessment of like you can't fail the assessment. It's just insight, right, it's not like good or bad. But I took it immediately and I even study this, right, But here's my humanness coming out. I'm like low one impulse control. And then I got all angry about it because I have. And then I tried to prove to myself I do have inPulse control because I didn't want to fail the assessment. And then I had to laugh about I don't know, like twenty minutes later to see my initial reaction. Then I was laughing at myself to be like, you're.
Speaker 1: Not you don't have actually great false control you that's another word for patients. And this is really great insight because you could use someone, which is why you want to take this assessment in the first place, because I work on everything with emotional intelligence and I don't know myself what am I doing teaching it, you know. But it was a laughable moment for me because impulse control connected to patients, connected to waiting connected, and I was like, I have to work on that. It's not my default to be patient.
Speaker 3: Then I live in this culture which kind of goes with my default the faster, more go, hurry up, and I have to consciously be like, slow down, take a be take a breath.
Speaker 1: Maybe don't solve this today, Maybe timelin like I have to really go to another place to do that. But I just I think it'd be funny for listeners in their own life to notice in what places where you like, think you have patience, but you you don't write or like or like. For me, impulse control on my evaluation assessment and like thinking like why don't I have impulse control? Because I want to make things happen, and so I just think it's a good moment for all of us.
Speaker 3: Even if you look at your own life. Your two examples are perfect. Are we done here? To wrap it up?
Speaker 1: And then like, this is a process, you know that you can laugh about it.
Speaker 3: It is good too, because these are human foibles, are a human condition.
Speaker 1: This is, you know, how we show up in the world.
Speaker 3: And if you can acknowledge it with some love and some compassion for yourself instead of judgment, that's where like now I can say like I'm working on impulse control, but without like and I'm horrible because I don't have it, versus like, this is something I'm working on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you see what we're talking about to cover a few things, I want to cover some of the things that you've out wanted to talk about today. But it's really kind of laughable. We have to laugh at ourselves. I remember going to doctor Jeane Houston, who recently passed away and we are going to miss her. But I also studied at the first Webshop, a workshop she did on leadership. I was one of the first to be in the first workshop. She did ten days, right, And all of a sudden, I'm like, really ten days, it takes ten days, you could see, right. So I get there and I got to work with the most amazing woman who actually left this planet way too soon. Doctor angelis Aarian, and I remember being a private conversation. We got to work with people privately, and I just wanted to work with her. And you know what she gave me to do. And I misunderstood the task. Why because patience also goes to listening, doesn't it You have to put the patients to listen. So she said something like, I have an assignment for you. I want you to literally watch grass grow. I want you to watch grass grow. I want you you know, but she was using it metaphorically. So what do I do. I go out to the workshop and for a month I watched a grass grow and I was so obsessed about it that I dug up the Patrick I had the Patrick grass and I would not cut around it so I could watch it grow. Because I thought you, I watched it grow for an hour a day. I would go out and watch it grow. Now, clearly she laughed her butt off that wasn't the assignment, but it really was. What did that tell me about? First of all, let me know I could actually spend an hour, and I was really busy back then. I'm going to tell you I was just so busy. I was finishing up my doctorate. I mean busy in the word where my day was full. I never felt busy, but I took an hour and I watched the grass grow every day and something happened to me around that, and then I forgot it. So walk us through the important growth areas of our lives that maybe if we all could sit and watch grass grow for fifteen minutes, it may create a shift.
Speaker 1: But let us talk about.
Speaker 2: The list and what's some of the real challenging areas are for people.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, and I love your example because the whole thing of like literally watching grass grows, I want me to think of it, but all in our lives.
Speaker 3: It's like we're in my life? Could I be watching grass grow? But what I think sometimes people do.
Speaker 1: Is baby like now I have like if I want to meditate, I better meditate for an hour and like make sure I did it, like versus like can I can I take some breaths in this moment and bring mindfulness to this moment without having to like set a timer, sit on the floor, do one hour whatever. Because if it doesn't fit into your life, then you do it.
Speaker 3: You do a task, you do something that and then then it's not really the point of the task, Like the whole thing.
Speaker 1: The point wasn't to watch the grascow.
Speaker 3: Can you stop in your life and notice something for a period of time? Right, And sometimes things takes time.
Speaker 1: So doing something on the daily that slows you down and makes you makes you stop, you know, that's like a good lesson. But then again what you said, but then how can I forgot it? Because real life because it was so extreme, right, it's not part of your real life.
Speaker 3: And part of the goal when you think about practicing mindfulness and self awareness is are there things I can do on the daily not a special Now I'm going to practice mindfulness and like because I could do that for some amount of time if I'm like want to do okay, every I'll take this retreat or I'll do this thing, but like eventually.
Speaker 1: Real life comes back in. So the goal is to say, in my real life, in my actual day today, how I am including things on the daily, and I say this, real time, real budget, real you, the real time you have to do something.
Speaker 3: But also I will say in the time category, you know, when people say they're busy, I try to say this because we make time for things that are important all the time, even if we're busy. So I like to say that's not a priority for me right now, just to recognize, and I say I'm too busy for that, because I'm like, I will like I will never go to sleep with the kitchen being a mess, even if I'm exhausted.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, i will clean the kitchen, right. I will clean it up because I don't want to wake up in the morning. So that's a priority. So I always I still have time somehow to clean that, right, even if I'm exhausted, I'll make time for that. Or when I think about, like when the things that are important, like even if I'm busy, I'm going to figure out how to get my kids. But they need to go and figure out the schedule and do the thing because they have to get where they need to go and they need someone to help them do that. Right, So that's my priority is that they get to school and dirg activities.
Speaker 3: So like we have different priorities even when we're busy, right, So like I feel like, first of all, thinking about time, I don't have time for that versus like what's my priority? Then so real time thinking about the real time you have in your day to do things. But then real budget, like sometimes like going on a retreat. I'd love to go on a yoga retreat to like the south of.
Speaker 1: France and like have a month to just be calm whatever, Like that's not gonna happen right now, right no budget?
Speaker 3: And sometimes I like, do you have budget to take a yoa coast? You have a budget to go exercise whatever at a gym? Sometimes we don't have the budget for things that we think would help us get into that place of patience its flowing down and every mindfulness.
Speaker 1: So you have to think, is walking around the block observing nature and taking it or sitting on my back porch for a minute watching the hummingbirds come in? Is that enough to slow me down? With the real budget that I have to do things? And then real me, what are things I enjoy? Like I don't enjoy sitting crossly get on the mat, like it just was uncomfortable and I'm always thinking that I'm gonna fall asleep or not or whatever. But like when you're thinking about start snoring or is that snoring or is it that whatever? And again that works for some people, So you don't want to poo. There are things, but real you means like what.
Speaker 3: Does it mean for me to be patient myself and slow down? And this is like a small two small examples.
Speaker 1: So sometimes when the sun is setting, and my husband's really good about this, he's like, oh, let's go make sure don't miss the sunset. And so even when milk cooking dinner, we'll put everything on simmer or whatever and like go out for five minutes and just be on our front porch. And sometimes it's the best part of my day just to like sew things down, like I don't want to miss the sunset right like and to see that. And then other times too, I'll just slow down, Like I have a favorite tea that I like to drink, and I like to make the tea and I have a favorite lud and sometimes it's just like I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Like take the time to make this tea that I like have out a summer, get my mug out and.
Speaker 1: Just sit and not sit in scroll and not sit and be folding.
Speaker 3: Laundry and saving my tea and doing whatever, just like I'm going to enjoy this tea and sit somewhere and just drink my tea for a minute.
Speaker 1: And sometimes that's like a ten, fifteen, twenty whatever it is. But is that enough to slow it down in a way I could do in my daily life? So real time, real budget, real you things that you can do and I but part of that is inviting, inviting the idea of like, in what ways in my life can I slow things down enough to enjoy them or appreciate them, or get a lesson from them, whatever, And what ways can I consciously invite that in a world that says hurry up, move on, get done with this. What's the schedule? That's where the that's.
Speaker 3: Like the middle point I say, between making a decision and just being run by your unconscious mind. I'm going to make a decision to just so I'm going to make a decision to enjoy this month. I'm going to get a decision to let myself.
Speaker 1: Relax a little bit or I even like to say even enjoy, like didd you get through your day, And is there there's something you can be like, I'm proud of myself for getting through today instead of like you know, like waiting till the end of the month or the year to like take stock and what you did could today.
Speaker 2: Be in love? Right?
Speaker 3: So that's one kind of thing that I wanted to think about, like how we invite that kind of thinking into our lives.
Speaker 1: And to me, that's also about permission, permission to like you were saying, I'm in the middle of my PhD again, I'm gonna go spend an hour kind of meditating outside and being outside, right, and then what did it give me? Well, sometimes it doesn't give us stuff right away. Sometimes it we're annoyed by it. Or sometimes it's like we have to let our body, like I have to calm down enough to enjoy an experience.
Speaker 2: Calm down, you really do? You know this is really reoccurring across the board, but you and I are perfect examples. Now, I'm gonna tell you my greatest teacher right now is Linda my best friend. And you know, I'm not saying that Linda is the most patient person in the world, but there's something She's extraordinarily patient and I'm watching her now she made a decision. First of all, you've got to make decisions. You've got to make a decision about do I turn right or do I turn left? I mean, that's that's not quite did you get it? But we're back here in New Jersey and it's an opportunity. And you know when you go through and you handle the loss of a loved one's estate, you know, or the loss of a loved one like a mom, like she did. She took care of her mom for like twelve years then had to handle all that. So she has all the paperwork and I'm watching her now because what did she say to me? She said, I've got to do this. It's starting to feel heavy.
Speaker 1: But I'm watching the.
Speaker 2: I'm watching the systematic way every I'm talking boxes, every piece of paper is picked up, read carefully, a decision is made do I keep it? Emotionally, I'm watching this. It's such a beautiful depicture of what you're talking about today. Why it handles one the recovery from loss, and yes we do grieve decades after we lose someone. But I'm just watching the patients, see you now, if that were me, kind of like when I moved out here. You should have seen the way I got rid of things on December tenth. Hello, but I'm watching this and at some level I could seal the energy and the gratitude. Now, what if we could do that in different areas of our life. We're going to take a short break when we come back. What is it like to really look at items in our lives where we can kind of expedite accelerate things a bit, but other areas you better have the patience of a saint. Carrie? How do people find out about you? What is the best way for people to work with you because you are an emotional intelligence expert. And then when we come back, I'm going to tell you about my lesson from Ping Pong.
Speaker 1: Oh, of course I had to bring up Ping Pong, right, So you can find out about me at canutsenspeaks dot com. You can find about coaching, about my presentations, about my keynotes, about one Woman Show, and that all the various things I do that encompass canusance speaks. And I didn't post my eqissment, but now everyone knows I'm I got the one impulse control everybody that's he won't find.
Speaker 2: That on my website, but I'm telling you that now I should take that great So that's where people can find everything about you, how to hire you for speaking, and all of the above. When we come back, we're going to talk about the story of growth and patience and how they relate to so many many things. But I am going to challenge you to take fifteen minutes a day and watch grass grow. Really, just watch it. Watch it. You'd be amazed at.
Speaker 1: What you see.
Speaker 2: Let's take a short break, we'll.
Speaker 1: Be right back.
Speaker 5: We remember a time when you could simply form a thought and it would manifest. The harmony was forgotten, but it is returning now. The power of inspiration and awakening. Radio with Julia will take you on adventures through the heart and spirit, exploring who we once were and how to awaken that power today. Julia studied under the guidance of wolves, learning from their wisdom to master a higher frequency for new state of mind. Learn to master the secrets of manifestation. Visit onetru self dot com.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to get big and live your life out loud? Tune in to Get Big out Loud Radio, exploring life through the lens of curiosity and compassion with me Carrie Knutson joining Doctor Pat live every second Monday at ten am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio dot com. I will offer ideas to transform what you are thinking into conscious action. If you want to get big and live your life out loud, visit me at Canutsen Speaks dot com. School.
Speaker 6: Ancient Wisdom for everyday life is your practical and inspiring gateway to spiritual awakening. Join me, Shati Durga and doctor Pat every first and third Monday at three pm Pacific time as we explore relationships in a plain realities, channel light beings, learn from ancient wisdom and share tools to navigate life with ease and grace.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to.
Speaker 6: Step into your highest potential? Subscribe to Mystery School. Your transformation starts here.
Speaker 7: Cut the shit, stop struggling to feel present, stop being taken advantage of express how you feel, and start making choices based on what other people think. Intuition Unleashed a revolution in Personal Liberation. Podcast is your go to resource for combining guidance with mental health and spirituality and solving your questions about why you can't seem to catch a break and find your true happiness. And you can find more episodes at Backnelton dot com. Forward Slash Podcast.
Speaker 5: We remember a time when you could simply form a thought and it would manifest. The harmony was forgotten, but it is returning now. The power of inspiration and Awakening Radio with Julia will take you on adventures through the heart and spirit, exploring who we once were and how to awaken that power today. Julia studied under the guidance of wolves, learning from their wisdom to master a higher frequency for new state of mind. Learn to master the secrets of manifestation. Visit onetrueself dot com.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to get big and live your life out loud? Tune in to get Big out Loud radio exploring life through the lens of curiosity and compassion with me Carrie Knutson joining Doctor Pat live every second Monday at ten am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio dot com. I will offer ideas to transform what you are thinking into conscious action. If you want to get big and live your life out loud, visit me at nutsen Speaks dot com.
Speaker 6: Mystery School Ancient Wisdom for everyday life is your practical and inspiring gateway to spiritual awakening. Join me, Shatti Durga and Doctor Pat every first and third Monday at three pm Pacific time.
Speaker 2: Cut the shit stop, buddy, Welcome back. Before we go into this one more time, give out your website if you don't mind, Carrie, Sure, it's.
Speaker 3: Canutson speaks dot com, k n U T s o n speaks dot com. Found about training, coaching, presentations, keynotes, one woman show.
Speaker 1: The whole thing is on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in a couple of months, I'm going to be hooking up with Carrie because she's gonna help me with my unstuckable platform and speaking platform for that. Look, we were talking about what with patients. We're talking about the things we can't rush, you know, and so trust was one of them. Learning a new skill is another one. And then we're going to talk about some of the most most important growth put points that you especially have gone through recently. But I was I get coached, you know this, and I change clubs. Now I still play on Tuesday at my other club, but I wasn't feeling it. It wasn't a good environment. It's the culture good whatever, whatever. So I started up at Matchpoint and I love the people that love the coaches. I show up on Saturday. You're there from two to four, and I'm a pretty good player, so they don't have a lot of criticism. They do have a lot of coaching. But the one thing across the board that I heard over and over and over again on Saturday was don't rush. Slow down, don't rush. And one of the coaches that I love getting coach from says, you're rushing. Why are you rushing? Why are you rushing? Your forehad why are you rushing? We're going to be here from two to four. Rushing is not going to get you out of here any sooner. It's not going to get you I mean. So it showed up and it held a mirror in front of me, and when I left there, I had a new perspective that reflected on my life because I got to tell you there's some things I'm getting very impatient about. So walk us through because you're going to talk about one of them. Walk us through you and why this topic became so important to you?
Speaker 3: Yes, well, it so came up, like in my face this month as I had a back injury. I talked about this before on the show in February or my back really bad and months of recovery where and I like in bed recovery.
Speaker 1: For days kind of recovery, like a big embrace on my back, physical therapy appointments, chiropractical appointments, rest of like going to the doctor for like all the things, and then like only doing one thing in a day, which might have been to go to appointment, come home and that was enough, right like days and weeks and then now months of that, and so I finally got cleared to go back to the gym, and uh, now it's June, and so I went back to the gym, and I was feeling like happy about getting cleared by my doctor, and my physical is like I can go back to the gym, and we talk about the exercise I can do, and I'm I was feeling good in the moment. But then I go to this gym it's called Cocoa, and it has it's a digital gym asince you can put your fob and it keeps track of your workouts and all this stuff, and it said, welcome back. Your last session was on February sixth, and I just looked at the date and I'm like February six and I'm like February, March, April, May, June. I was June and I was like, oh my god, five months, it's June and it's been fine.
Speaker 3: And then I was like I was just in the weirdest place because I'm like part of me couldn't believe it it has been five months since I've been there, because it didn't feel that long, and other was like a century of like these five months have taken so long just to be able to go back to the gym.
Speaker 1: And it was such a weird juxtaposition moment.
Speaker 3: And then I felt all this sense of like why wasn't I here, Why couldn't I come back in March or April?
Speaker 1: And I'm like or May, because it's June. And then I played these games in my head.
Speaker 3: I was like, you got to stop wishing something different because you're here in June, because it took you till June.
Speaker 1: And even my physical therapist.
Speaker 3: She was like, you're doing really good for the injury you had. Yeah, I wouldn't have expected you to go back sooner. I think you're in a good point. Like her perspective was so like, you're doing great, and my perspective was like five months. And then and then what I started to realize was I can't I couldn't see my progress, but the progress to get me to the gym even was huge progress. And I didn't count all the days of like resting is progress, right, getting able to get off from the bed. And I had my husband even one day I was feeling said about my progress, and he's like you you couldn't even get out of bed by yourself, like or put your socks on. Let's go back to those days, right, Like you couldn't go down a step, Like do you want to remember that to see.
Speaker 1: How far you've come? And like, so sometimes it's the remembering the progress even if it's slow or you can't see it. And I thought my back healing. I couldn't see my back healing, and sometimes even feeling it changed from day to day, like that's healing, even though it's not all healed, it's in process. So the whole experience of going back to the gym just kind of shocked.
Speaker 3: Me into like the range of emotions I had about progress, success, timeliness.
Speaker 1: Was I was I succeeding and I ate even my first workout, I'm only clear to pick up so much weight now? And I had to laugh because the first time the gym was like, well, we'll just set up the machine and you'll just go back to the beginning, and she said, I was like, this is great, here's and I wanted to cry, like I don't want to go back to the beginning. I don't want to. I want to be where I was when I left off before the interview.
Speaker 3: Different Now I have a back injury and I am working on my full recovery, which everyone says you will be fully recovered, but I wanted to do it.
Speaker 1: I got hurt in February. By March, I should be ready ago. So it was the reason I wrote this podcast.
Speaker 3: Because I was surprised at myself and my wide range of reactions to simply the idea of going back to the gym and being that like on the screen and made me think probably in our lives, a lot of people have those moments where like we feel kind of I felt kind of gut it for a minute, like I was like, what are we doing five months?
Speaker 1: And then I have told themselves, yeah, five months, that's really good and.
Speaker 3: It's just important, you know, to And that's why I had to reflect on it, because without reflection, I could have stayed in that well, like I'm failing, I have to go back to the beginning.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's been five months. I haven't really done any and I'm hanything to show for it. And on the other hand, it be like, look what you did in five months, Yeah, look at the progress. And I kind of think about this analogy. Sometimes if you plant a seed, you literally don't see anything for a long time, and it's doing all this work but you can't see it. But we trust it because we know the journey of a seed into like say a flower. We know the journey is you got to go down and get rooted or out, you know, to get rooted and then you can go up. And but we wait. We even say like this is a time of germination. I gotta wait this many weeks. We don't yell at the seed, we don't bade the seed, we don't stop watering the seed. We know it's gonna happen, right, we know. And then when a little sprout comes up, we don't sqush it down and be like, oh damn, you're not you're only doing this much. We're like, yay, you're gonna start to bloom. We because we know what to expect it. And I'm like why can't we do that as human beings? Like, look at me, maybe this stuff nobody can see, but I'm working on stuff right, and maybe it's gonna take whatever time it takes, because that's what it takes. And also, when I see so a little bit of progress, why don't want to stomp it down? Like it's not good enough? Right? Little shoot right?
Speaker 3: Like and so good comparison because so much progress and it happens in things we cannot see, quantify or measure, and we love to live in a society.
Speaker 1: I can see it, I can quantify, I can measure it, and I can you know, prove it. And the things we can't prove, like am I building trust in my relationship with someone? How do you prove that over time you built you know, build trust. If I'm learning a new skill, am I supposed to be good at something?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: I had to know how to do the thing for a while and learn the new skill right to get better at it because I'm not doing it yet.
Speaker 3: But then that those are so important. It's important to consciously think of that because if we miss.
Speaker 1: The opportunity to consciously be like no, I'm doing okay, or like this is progress this counts, and that's what I can like this. Everything has to count towards the eventual goal, but the timing of it is not always up to me, right, So that's what the back. Thanks Coco Fit Club for that. I'm like, I had a real moment at Go Go Fit. But that's the lesson. You know.
Speaker 2: It's like me, I got two needs replace during COVID and people say, really, why did you do that? That's another story for another show. It's best decision I ever made. You could, you could. The hospitals were so clean you could literally eat off the floor during COVID for some of these things. But I went at the tail end of COVID. But but I went and I said to doctor Boone, Okay, let's get them both done. Let's literally cut open your knees, each of them by about twelve inches and get them done, is what I'm telling He said, Well, we don't really do that anymore. Why don't we do one at a time.
Speaker 1: We can't do both.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to do one at a time. Okay, okay, so how long does it take to do one then the other? Three months? I can do it in two. No you can't, No, you.
Speaker 1: Can't pat if you target that game. You know that game.
Speaker 2: I could guess to do one three, No, but I did do it well. My mindset was to get it done faster, but not compromise on quality. And sometimes that is what happens. We take a shortcut, especially on loss, we take a short cut. We don't mourn it. We don't. And then just happened to me the other day. I drive down the street and I get triggered by a street sign that I used to drive by forty years ago. I said it to Linda. I said, Linda, I'm telling you I drive down that route twenty two and every time I passed the street, I get triggered. She said why, I said, because this reminds me of being seventeen years old and my parents throwing me out, and I'm on the street and my car broke down on Tarot Road, and I say, clearly, I got to do healing. Have you had anything like that? Loss is a tough one. You cannot rush that.
Speaker 1: No, But we sometimes want aren't I done yet? And I call this, I call this for me. I want to skip the line. I want to be done. I want to just and you know the line is there. And you know what happens. If I was going to a bank and try to skip the line, people would give you the death stare and you would not. You can't just if I get a bank, or let's sayt the grocery store, there's no place life I know, I just gonna skip this line, right Like, but in life sometimes you're like, oh, man, grief again, or I thought I was done with this, or especially when we get triggered by things and I think the same thing happens to me, Like.
Speaker 3: When you think about different things like a number on the scale, a number in your bank account, uh oh wait, the things should have happened, a memory of a song that comes up, whatever, and then you think, oh, I thought it was done with this, but then here it comes right back.
Speaker 1: And that's an important message for us. Like, and I say this to myself as a as a thought pattern, Carrie, you can't skip the line. You can't step so you got to keep the line where you are. But sometimes it's helpful, especially people, Well I want to skip the line.
Speaker 3: You're saying I want to do in one month, and you're surgeon is like, well, typically the human body needs this much time.
Speaker 1: Right, And even if you your body doesn't know you about your timeline, it knows about it. It's it's timeline to you. Right.
Speaker 2: You know what doctor Boone said to me, But he's so smart because he knew better. He said, Okay, we'll see now. He knew, he knew he wasn't going to get done in a month. He know a month's time, I'm going to be balling my eyes out trying to move. But you know, sometimes, Carrie, we see it in other people like Annie, right, and it's going to start. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: So, like Annie is my oldest daughter, seventeen, getting ready to think about college. He's going to be a senior, and we are starting a college search and we're starting to look at and there's so many options, like too many options go anywhere in the whole world, basically, right, And what we're trying to think about is I'm trying to frame this and like the whole college search is just the journey to bring us closer to the answer. But it's hard when you go to a campus and you're looking around.
Speaker 3: Like like every school has great programming, good things that you want to do, beautiful campuses, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: So sometimes it comes down to like how do I feel here? Do I feel like we could spend some time here? But then also the idea of like, we're spending time to do this so we can rule out some things we don't want because it's getting closer to what we do want, even if it's not that particular school.
Speaker 3: It's important to like this is the journey to come to a decision, and it just takes time and we have to like again, the things you can't see, how do I feel about something?
Speaker 1: I can't see my feeling. I'm experiencing my feeling right like, or how do I know something resonates with me? I'm checking in with to be like how my connection to this place? I can't show it to you. I have to experience it.
Speaker 3: And so I also think at the same time, when we're looking for schools, we're also managing a.
Speaker 1: Life transition of like what's next for me? And some of the fear around like what will my life be like now? Like I'm going through a major growth stage, So like the process is almost like the journey of the college search is a little bit around having patients for like we're not making.
Speaker 3: We're not doing this to make a decision today. We're doing this to help us make a decision down the.
Speaker 1: Road, but we have to start now. We have to experience the things now because it's helping us forge a path. And I think that's a good metaphor in life sometimes when we're trying to make decisions, like sometimes I got to be on the path that will help me get to the eventual decision. But I can't be like I want to do this and now I've decided. Some things take time. They just take time or experience. And then the things you can't see are like how am I processing this? What ways is this stretching me? How are my emotions playing into this? Those are the intangible things that you can't touch but you can feel and you can process. But that's again the things prove it to me, measure, measure it, show it, prove it. What's the timeline? And when you don't have it for those things? To me the most important things like how do you measure when you think about like love, when you measure like relationships, when you when you measure your capacity to generously give of your heart right like when you're when you're.
Speaker 3: With somebody, and like you said, just listen like, how you feel about an experience is hard to measure, and so then again our.
Speaker 1: Other part of our brain is like, well prove it, measure it, quantify. And I also think like does this college have it for Annie? Does it have this program? Yes or no? Then is it worth visiting? Well we have Do you really know what you want to do with your whole life right now at seventeen? So is it maybe worth it to have a broader search? Then does this program have a cause of executive? It's programmed?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you know as a parent. Come on now, wait a minute, though, because you're bringing something up. It's not just about any parents have to show extraordinary Now for me, let's talk about this. I went back to the doctoral program very late in life, and I did it after the job loss thing. And I applied to thirty five thirty six schools and I had to wait and slowly the rejections came in and except for one, and the one school was actually my first choice. But it came in and it said are you ready for it? We're going to put you on a wait list for next year. So hello, And I I thought, what the is a wait list? I mean, the letter came to Linda. She's the one that's sent it back, and I had packed up and moved to Seattle because I thought, what the heck's a wait list?
Speaker 1: What am I?
Speaker 2: But I didn't read the small print. You're not in this year, you'll be in next year. But the waiting the way. Don't you imagine what Annie is doing right now.
Speaker 3: Right, and so many kids across America right now, right you're just way you're waiting, you're looking, you're thinking, and their thing is supposed to perfect a wait list.
Speaker 1: I know it's gonna happen, but now I have to wait, So I have to be patient because I wanted to do it now and you're telling me I have to do it later, which is such a good example of like I want minee fixed now, Well your body will let you know when it's ready, or like I want to be back for my back injury next week and my body's like, yeah, not going to happen right, Like but back? What does it mean to be back? And that's why my husband's like, well, you couldn't get off out of the bed before. Now you can't, Like is that progress? So like the idea of being things are gonna happen, and I like the artist because time March is on right. So you eventually the wait list will be over and you will be in that program. But you're at your own concept of wait list and I wait a year and you and even though I know that thing's going to happen, but your journey to get there right?
Speaker 3: And also almost would you look back and say, were there some good things about waiting?
Speaker 2: The best thing that ever happened to me? Because what I did is I packed up and I moved to Seattle and I just moved back to New Jersey. But I lived in the Pacific Northwest for thirty years, and I do not think I would have done that right. But this is whole part of the journey.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I was coaching a mom the other day and this is a short story. We can talk about it more. And she said, I don't know what to do. Like what happened, She said, my daughter will not apply to any of the school except the school that Caitlyn Clark went to. Caitlyn Clark is women's basketball icon. Almost everybody knows her. If you don't follow the sport. My daughter wants to go to Kitlin Clerk school. I said, Okay, I don't want my daughter to go to Caitlin Clark school. My daughter doesn't play basketball. I said, okay, did you find out why she wants to go to that school? Yeah, She's given me some This is mom's word, Kaka Maimie's story about the excellence and what Caitlin Clark accomplished at this school. And I want to be in that energy. Mom is not thinking energy. Mom's thinking you don't live in that state. How much is it going to cost? You don't play basketball, but you want to somehow go and stand on the court at Caitlin Clark. You know, we have to have a patience of the heart to our children, our bosses. They aren't always going to give us what we want when we wanted their universe. But I got to tell you now the key for me and I want to hear your closing message. You know what the difference in my life is. And I pulled this out and I read it to Linda this morning. What gives me a shift is my big book and reminds me that I have turned I turn over twenty to thirty things a day to the God of my understanding, and I say, God of my understanding that's in the big book. It doesn't matter who you pick. You can pick the goddess you can pick isis. Whoever you pick doesn't matter. You can call it the universe or the grass. But twenty to twenty five times a day I'm doing that and then I'm saying thank you, because we have to trust in something outside of ourselves. What a great topic. What do you think about that? What's your message for today?
Speaker 1: Carrie?
Speaker 3: Yes, that's so beautiful trusting in the process because it's a process, right, and the things we can't see, and but the process.
Speaker 1: Is life, right, and the progress isn't always measurable. So bringing that to light to be like, yes, in a world that says, here's the mom's financial considerations with her daughter wanting to go to school, and here's the daughter's dream, right, and then here's the like and where do we find the journey that's going to get us one place or another? Because that thought might lead her someone which might leader somewhere else. But it's a process. And that's why I think is like making sure we understand and remember. We can understand, but sometimes we forget. So that's why I would say, not only understand it. But then remember, especially in times like when I'm looking at my cocoa thing five months and they like, yes, five months, or you'd be like, I'll be done with my my surgery in the month, right, whatever we say.
Speaker 3: And then I wrote this out because I want to be able to say my closing message. I wanted to like the definition of patients. I wanted to change it a little bit from the first thing. What if it's the ability to trust that something is happening even when we can't see it. So what if we redefined patients to be like the ability to trust something is happening when we can't see it, or saying healing is occurring before my pain is even gone, but I'm healing, I'm in process, or like growth is happening before I feel confident that I've achieved my goal, but I'm still growing right like and don't forget the little seed is doing something right, including us as the scene metaphor. And then maybe too like trust in the fact that before I have evidence to prove something, I could also just know something like the evidence might.
Speaker 1: Be inside us.
Speaker 3: First, if we take the moment to think that I'm gonna get out of my hurry up, rush, get it done, goal achievement culture, and I'm gonna be like what my evidence might be how I feel about something.
Speaker 1: My evidence might be how I've shifted somehow, like what's the idea of that?
Speaker 3: And then I think to like, if we think about what's meaningful, really, a lot of those things happened before we can see them, Like we don't.
Speaker 1: Get we don't get married and then express our love. We fall in love and get married, right like, but it happened something, and that's why the things we rush like aren't really the things that matter the most. And we think what really matters the cultivate like your relationship with g Linda, friendship over years, right, my marriage to Joe twenty years of marriage and then sixteen years of day. All the things like that can't be rush. It just has to be what it is. Raising children. You're raised that it takes time to do that, right like things that I life, that we want to achieve, and even if I put it back to my back, thing like okay, it took five months, but here I am so like, don't be so sad all the time. Now, I'm kind of proud of myself, right like I switched from like that like oh no, it's like okay, right, and so like do that inner work so then motorwork can reflect it the inner work first and then the outer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Carrie, thank you for this. I want to say two things to people. First of all, Carrie's work is also the emotional side of it, and there is an emotional side. I mentioned my knee surgeries. I got two brand new knees. They were perfectly done six months after I was done. But it wasn't until last week did I stop playing with knee braces on. Why Because I didn't trust, I didn't believe. Now that's significant. I took them off and I haven't put them on since. See, it's also what you talked about, because there's emotional side to this, and Carrie Knutson is an expert. Go to canuteson speaks dot com. That's the part of this, the emotional side. That's where we all need help. Carrie. Thank you for a great show.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks doctor Patton. Thanks everyone for listening.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear where Andy actually goes all right, find out, Oh my god, I can't wait to find out. Thank you all for tuning us in turning us on We'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: You have been listening to Get Big Out Loud Radio, where we explore the complex, funny and beautiful ride of life with me Carrie Knutson, joining Doctor Pat live every second Monday at ten am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio dot com. I will help you to know which your thoughts are keeping you small in order for you to get big, Get big and live your life out loud. For more information, visit canutsand Speaks dot com