Speaker 1: God Well.
Speaker 2: Channeling is dinner curk get them dives makes the cat backhand sign.
Speaker 3: Dustin off that gold globe said, you want my spot.
Speaker 1: Come and get it?
Speaker 4: Want to take your shot?
Speaker 1: We're waiting for you. Think you're looking real hot, Come and get it.
Speaker 5: We're here.
Speaker 1: The road comes through La.
Speaker 4: Come get it.
Speaker 5: If you won't it, I got it.
Speaker 1: Do you think you can beat this team in a series? It best overall?
Speaker 4: Bested in klass padres. Fans can line up to kiss our ring.
Speaker 5: You gotta do what I do if you want my spot. Welcome to Dodgers on Tech. Now your host walking you up to first pitch.
Speaker 6: Tim kass Hi, everybody, Welcome to Morongo Casino, Dodgers on It. I hope you're enjoying the start of your Memorial Day weekend. The Dodgers thirty one and nineteen finished their homestand on a winning note and now hit the road to start an East Coast road trip and first up a rematch oh last year's n LCS.
Speaker 1: It's the Dodgers and Mets.
Speaker 6: Clayton Kershaw on the mound for the blue first pitch and City Field in Queens, New York is coming up at four to ten between then and that. We got a lot to get to here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the Dodger manager Dave Roberts. You're gonna hear from Dodger general manager Brandon Gomes. Will dive deeper into this pitching matchup DV. Of course, we'll check in throughout the show. We got your Dodgers magical moment.
Speaker 4: Shortly.
Speaker 6: You're gonna hear from the two guys on the call tonight from the Galpamotors broadcast, both Steven Nelson and Rick Monday. Well, the Dodgers were off yesterday to the head East. Before that, on Wednesday night, the Dodgers wrapped up a long nine game homestand against the Arizona Diamondbacks. It was a pitchy match up between Corbyn Burns and Dustin May. As Corbyn Burns would go seven innings, striking out eight along the way Dustin May six innings. He would have eight strikeouts as well. It was back and forth, and it was a scoreless game the first three innings. However, in the top of the fourth inning, Dustin maybe it is only mistake two.
Speaker 7: And oh the count Dustin May facing Marte, the switch hitter batting left handed, pitch swung on and hammered to Wright. This ball is way back and gone and could tell Marte has hit his seventh home out of the season.
Speaker 8: He got all of.
Speaker 6: It four hundred and twenty five feet to right center field at Dodgers Stadium, and that gave the Snakes a one and nothing lead. Corbyn Burns retired the first eleven batters he faced before Freddie Freeman ripped a two out single to Write in the fourth inning. The Dodgers, though, got something going in the sixth inning. Finally, the offense got a little jump start in the bottom of the sixth against Corbyn Burns. It all started Miguel Rojas reaching on an infield single. Two batters later, Mookie be with a single to the left roasted second. Freddie Freeman struck out so two on, two out. Up came Taoscar Hernandez.
Speaker 7: One two pitch to Taoskar. He swims hits a high fly ball to center and team. This ball headed back toward the wall.
Speaker 9: It is done.
Speaker 2: A three run home run.
Speaker 7: Tioscar Hernandez and the Dodgers have jumped down in front.
Speaker 5: Three to one.
Speaker 8: Oh, he got a hold of it. It was a slider, but it hung over the heart of the plate and tay Oscar drilled at the dead center field four hundred and thirteen feet.
Speaker 6: Ta Oscar Hernana's home run number ten three RBIs on the home run.
Speaker 1: He's now got thirty eight on this season.
Speaker 6: Dodgers didn't have a lot of opportunities with runners in scoring position, just one for two. They only stranded three base runners, but with one swing of the bat, the Dodgers take a three to one lead. Dustin May would after six innings in line to get the win. Jack Drier two thirds of an inning. Trevino came in and inning in a third struck out of batter didn't give up any runs. The ninth inning belonged to Tanner Scott, who had blown his save earlier in the homestand he comes back out with a couple of punchouts. Game over, Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Three to one.
Speaker 6: Dustin May gets the victory, Corbyn Burns gets the l as Tanner Scott bounces back to pick up his tenth save of this season. Dodgers finished off this nine game homestand on a winning note, having beaten the Diamondbacks in the final two games of that three game series, as the Dodgers now headed east to start a six game road trip. First up, three games against Juan Soto and the Mets. First pitch from City Field and Queens, New York is coming up at four to ten, and with more we head out to the Galvin Motors broadcast booth as we welcome in on this Friday afternoon Steven Nelson and Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: Guys, All right, Tim, the Dodgers back in New York, and it's like they never left last October, based on the weather and the forecast. Tarp currently on the field ahead of the series opener for the Dodgers and Mets three game series, a rematch of the league championship series from a year ago. Rick Monday, what memory from that particular series do you still carry with you?
Speaker 4: I think it really comes down to the importance of a big series and playing in the Big Apple, and the attention obviously with the focus on baseball, and you know, Los Angeles versus New York, that in itself can be a very big story. I think overall, you know, this is a continuation and when you go into play a team that you were able to beat last year and then you go on to win the biggest trophy there is, the World Championship. Does that put even more emphasis for the Mets to try and right the ship and get even if you will, you know, if you keep a long laundry list, they have a different look. That being that the New York Mets this season, and you know, they come up on their second place in the Nation League Eastern Division and trailing the Phillies by just two games, and they're trying to make an impact and they would really like to make a statement against the Dodgers. There's no way off fans of.
Speaker 1: Buttes this matchup.
Speaker 3: It's one of those you know, unstoppable force and unmovable objects. You know, based on the season numbers as a whole, obviously, the Dodger offense very good. It has been feast or famine if you look more closely.
Speaker 1: And on the other side, you have.
Speaker 3: A Mets pitching staff which has really carried the load and it's been one of the best in baseball. You look at where the Mets staff stands two point eight two a team era that is the best in Major League baseball, So tonight they'll have Griffin Canning, the former Angels one of the worst pitchers in baseball season ago. He's really turned his career around his first year as a Met, and then Clayton Kershaw off for the Dodge.
Speaker 4: I think you bring up a good point too with the teams, because if you look at the Dodgers, they're number one in batting average team average, and that you mentioned the Mets, well, they're number one in pitching in the er, they're the middle of the pack, and the hitting standpoint, the Dodgers are down in the twenty second I think I think it is for overall in the earned rent average. The question is going to be now, I think in my own mind, yes, you have to get to the starting pitchers. But are the Mets thinking, look, we need to get into the Dodgers' bullpend because the bullpend, I mean, there's no question about it. The Dodgers' bullpen has worked more endings than anybody else. Yeah, that is not sustainable, and the starters need to stretch things out. The question is how much can Clayton Kershaw stretch things out tonight? And I think offensively, Dodgers need to really kind of get on the gas pedal in a hurry against Cannon.
Speaker 3: Clayton Kershaw in his career seventeen starts against the Mets, he has never lost to them, never lost the decision eleven and oh, he is coming off a really tough season debut, but I guess that was to be expected.
Speaker 4: In a way.
Speaker 3: And the Angels kind of caught lightning in a bottle with their offense and Clayton just coming back trying to get a feel for things. So we don't know what to expect from Clayton Kershaw tonight.
Speaker 1: We'll look forward to that.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to Rick Monday about his keys to the game the next time we.
Speaker 1: Visit with you.
Speaker 4: Until then, back to you TC.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you, Nelly, as we caunt you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor and join this Friday afternoon on your way home and join a little Dodgers baseball. Make sure you enjoy some Shaky's pizza. What are your Shaky's Pizza Chicken to Mojo's right now at Shakys dot com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck. You're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. You're gonna hear from Dodger GM Brandon Gomes, David Masse. We'll check in throughout the show.
Speaker 1: We'll dipe deeper into this pitching matchup. Up next you O Tani and renryane An.
Speaker 6: We'll hear from Kirsten Watson and tay Oscar Hernandez. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Mets on this Friday, the start of Memorial Day weekend. First pitch from Queens, New York is coming up at four ten. Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Katson.
Speaker 1: This is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Malrongo Cassino Dodgers game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: Rodgers and Mets starting a three game series in New York. Clayton Kershaw and Griffin Canny in the pitching matchup in the series opener from City Field. First pitch coming up at four ten. This is the Otani Rewinde Well Show. Hey, Otani had a quiet Wednesday night against the Snakes. The Dodgers would win three to one. Betts Freeman Taoscar Hernandez. They combined for four of the Dodgers five. His Taskar Hernandez had the three run home run. The difference in the game show Hey Otani zero for four with two strikeouts, But it's all right. Patty's three to zero four on the season, still slugging at his six fifty five average, And again the Dodgers got the win in the final game of the home stand, three to one over the Arizona Diamondbacks. The win for the Dodgers put them at thirty one and nineteen overall, nineteen and eight. At Dodgers Stadium, Dustin maywin toe to toe with Corbyn Burns. Burns seven eight strikeouts, Dustin May six innings, eight strikeouts. The only mistake Dustin May giving him five hits, was the solo home run to Caa tell Marte in the fourth inning. Everything else was limited. Damage to Oscar Hernandez tho. He provided the damage for the Dodgers against Corbyn Burns, a three run home run with two outs and a one to two count in the sixth inning, his tenth home run of this season RBI's thirty six, thirty seven, and thirty eight, and afterwards talk with Carsen Watson Ti Oscar.
Speaker 10: It's no secret that Corbin Burns was excellent tonight.
Speaker 1: But third time through.
Speaker 10: The order, you guys were finally able.
Speaker 5: To get to him. Just what were you, singer, what were you looking for.
Speaker 9: In that at that I mean right now and just trying to get good pitches, trank to get going again, try to get on base. He actually put on in some good pitches in my previous out by. I had an idea that he was going to finish with the same approach, and he hanged one and I broke good swing on it.
Speaker 10: What adjustments that you find just having to make because he did get you earlier with that breaking ball.
Speaker 9: I mean he was the tucking hitters. That was the key for all. Today he was great. He was throwing that scene care of the fastball at Carter and finishing everybody with a slider. So it was great today and.
Speaker 10: Justin May he pretty much matched carbon bird step first step. How important was it for you guys just to get him some run supports we could pick up the win today?
Speaker 1: Huge?
Speaker 9: You know, may give you this chance so we can put some score.
Speaker 1: On the score more.
Speaker 9: He was great today. I was at then air for today. Thank god, I got a good pitch and I put I go swing on with a guy some bass.
Speaker 10: It's one thing to be back and off the eyel you can see it in your face as the smiles you've been having as of late. But to be back and to contribute to the win, what does that mean?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 11: Is this huge?
Speaker 9: I'm a guy that likes to play. I don't like to be in the bench. I don't like to be hurt. So that's why I take care of my body really good, so I can be every day on the baseball fields helping this same win in any way that I can.
Speaker 10: Tay Oscar, welcome back and congratulations on this win.
Speaker 9: Appreciate it.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 6: All right, there's ty Oscar her Nadez after the win on Wednesday night. Doctor's Baseball is brought to you by Cars for Kids. Remember you can donate your gold car right now by calling eight seven seven Cars for Kids friendly agents standing by to take your donations. That's Cars with the K to donate your car today. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. We'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts we'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from Dodger GM Brandon Gomes when we come back, leading you up to Dodgers and Mets on this Friday Memorial Day weekend.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being with us. I'm Tim Kats.
Speaker 6: It's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 6: Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck intus on this Friday Memorial Day weekend, as we leap out to first bitch from New York Dodgers and Mets, Marongo Casino Resort and spop a grand Slam for good times.
Speaker 1: Clayton Kershaw the mount. First coming up at four ten.
Speaker 5: Is the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 6: Report, presented by UCLA Healthy Official medical partner, the Los Angeles Dodgers. Kirby Eights on the IL with the right hamstrings train, Evan Phillips on the IL with the sort right forearm. Tyler Glass now on the il's shoulder inflammations. Dave robertson earlier that Tyler Glass, now back here in LA, threw a bullpen session today, fewer than twenty pitches but said he felt good afterwards, so that is good news. Certainly, got to get him in. Blake Snell back on track. Blake trying it on the sixty Day IL, Michael Kopek, and Bruce dar Grauderol along with Emma Shean, all trying to work their way back from injuries.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: Earlier in the week, Brandon Gohme was a busy man at a Dodgers stadium serill in the news of Austin Barnes being released and Chris Taylor being released to longtime Dodgers but too young players in Dalton Rushing and Hayesan Kim have really taken the Dodgers by storm. Also some guy named show Hey o Tani, who have you yet to see pitch yet in a Dodger uniform. He's gonna throw a bullpen session to live hitters at Live VP tomorrow in New York, and Brandon Gomes was asked about Otani and possibly getting him out there on the mounds sooner than later.
Speaker 11: He looks really good and we'll look at Saturday to see what we want to do. He's been doing updown pins, which has been good to start to build the pitch count. And then you know, at some point here in the near future, we'll look to having him face hitters, and that's what we'll have for his build up. We're not going to send him out on a rehab and a lot of it's going to be based on how he's feeling and looking, and I think, you know, continuing to maintain a bigger picture outlook on this is smart because you know, having that type of talent and rushing it back and you know, risking the hitter as well, Like we've just never done this, and so this is a unique scenario. I don't even know how he does it in general to throw a pen and then come out.
Speaker 1: And just do what he does.
Speaker 11: So it amazes me every day, like the Arizona game last week where he hits the homer in the ninth and then I'm watching him throw a pen the next day, like this is the ads episode.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: Brandon Gubbs also talked about the emergence of Hayesan Kim, who they signed in the off season from South Korea. A lot of hope and expectation he would be the opening day second basement. Instead, he started the year in TRIPLEA Oklahoma City, got called up and has been taken off my storm here with the Dodgers, three seventy eight average, a home run five RBIs at eight ninety seven ops, and a contagious smile.
Speaker 11: He's a dynamic player. He was obviously he performed well in the KBO. There's some bats of ball there we knew coming in that we were there were some swing things we wanted to address, which we did in spring training and did something Okasee, and he's he's taken to them great, Like the work ethic is unbelievable, and I think he's the most likable person I've ever been around in my life.
Speaker 1: I don't. He just has this energy about him. He's like he's clapping.
Speaker 11: For Yama in between strikes last night.
Speaker 4: I don't though.
Speaker 1: You guys saw that, Like it's amazing.
Speaker 11: So he's he's been fun to watch, I think, bringing like real energy to the club. And you know, I do think for as well as he's played, there's another level in there for him to keep going in offensively. I think it's only going to get better.
Speaker 1: All Right.
Speaker 6: There's Dodger GM Brandon Gomes just a couple of days ago at Dodger Stadium talking about show. Hey Otani and I sunk him. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll check in with the Dodger insider David Bassey. Is we're leading you up to first betch from Cityfield in New York Dodgers and the Mets. I'm Tim Kates is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Oh do you never?
Speaker 5: As we were saying, is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: Dodgers in New York.
Speaker 6: Is they started a three game set with the Mets this one World Day weekend, and Clayton Kershaw goes for the blue first pitch coming up at four.
Speaker 5: Ten, Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 12: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 5: This is Dodger Insider David Basse.
Speaker 1: All right, DV.
Speaker 6: We just heard from Brandon Gomes talking about how excited they are about Showy Otani and getting on the mound, and Dave Roberts just a few minutes ago confirming that it looks like the next step for show hey pitching.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Like we've been reporting for the last week or so, and I found that out speaking to the Japanese media who are on the finger of the pulse of everything Otani. They actually spoke to the Dodgers head trainer Thomas Aalbert after Otani's last bullpen session at Dodger Stadium, and that's when they informed me what he relayed that, Yeah, he is going to throw a live BP tomorrow at City Field. So if you've been listening to us, you would have known that it's not really breaking news.
Speaker 8: And coming up.
Speaker 12: Later in the show, we have an exclusive one on one with manager Dave Roberts and he goes into the Dodgers resisting the temptation of really forcing the issue of Otani pitching with all the injuries they've had, not only to their starting staff but also to their bullpen. So you'll hear from the Dodger manager about that, and look, him throwing a bullpen session or a live BP tomorrow is not going to change the timeline that I've been reporting since spring training that the Dodgers care about Otani in October and are going to ramp him up. Back dating game one of the NLDS.
Speaker 6: David has driven by Ford, there's one thing we like, its choices fine yours with the four one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough. This mark can only be called the f one fifty David. The Dodgers are beginning a tough stretch of the schedule here, aren't they.
Speaker 12: They really are, tim and it's really going to put this pitching staff to the test, a pitching staff that is extremely thin, not only in the starting rotation, but also in the bullpen with so many injuries. And when you look at it last year at this time, there were a lot of different options for the Dodgers' depth for the Dodgers, but this year, because of guys like Emma Shehan, Gavin Stone, River, Ryan Stone, and Ryan out for the year. Shean not back until the second half of the year. With Bobby Miller not really taking the next step forward, with Justin Robleski kind of being a guy in a relief role, there's not a lot of options in the minor leagues for the Dodgers if another starter goes down. That's the concerning part here. And when you look at the Dodger bullpen without Evan Phillips, without Bruce star Graderol, without Blake Trining, without Michael Kopek on this road trip, he should be back on the next homestand they're extremely thin in their bullpen. And that's why on a night like tonight, Kershawn needs to give them at least five innings. Tony Gonsolin tomorrow landon Knack on Sunday. The Dodgers have got to get longer starts out of their starting pitchers, because it's not just so much how they may be on their last line of defense as far as depth goes in their rotation, but also in their bullpen. And if you can continue to tax this bullpen, which has thrown two hundred and fourteen, wow, that's not going to be sustainable, not only for winning, but also for long term health.
Speaker 6: That has a lot of innings already. And it's just now Memorial Day weekend, all right, David's time now for the Dodger Jervey brought to you by Santa Anita Park. We're gonna pick today's ninth race, six furlongs on the turf out at Santa Anita Park. Currently, an eight horse race is the ninth race later on this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Who do you like in this one?
Speaker 12: Oh, I'm going with a number four horse. I feel the need the need for speed, burning rubber all.
Speaker 6: Right, I'm gonna go with somebody. People always call you Dave, my hero, my hero. The number six horse is hard to live up to that, It is very hard. We'll celebrate ninety years of horse racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions of payouts every single race day. Get on track with the Belmont Day Wine Festival and Father's Day on closing day experiences at Santa Anita dot Com Slash event coming up here. I'm Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. You're still gonna hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. We'll dive deeper to this pitching match up, but up next You're Dodgers Magical Moment Lean you up to Dodgers and Mets to start off a Mortal Day weekend from New York. I'm Tim kats Is, the world champion Los Angeles Sagers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: It's the Dodgers and Mets.
Speaker 6: Clayton kurdishan Griffin cannyon the pitching matchup in the series opener from City Field. First pitch coming up at four ten.
Speaker 5: Who wants hot It's time for the Hawfey Magical moment. Bitch magical by Hawby Hot Jobs.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't have to go back too far.
Speaker 6: Last year's NLCS Dodgers taking on the Mets. They went to Game six and the Dodgers prevailed.
Speaker 3: Like Neil goes for second, Alviris swings bouncer the second Taylor has in the globe.
Speaker 2: It's over. It's over. The Dodgers win the pennant.
Speaker 1: Champions of the National League.
Speaker 2: In twenty twenty four, the Dodgers are going back to the World Series.
Speaker 6: Dodgers beat the New York Mets ten to five in Game six of the National League Championship Series to win the nl pennant at Dodgers Stadium in head to the World Series where they take off the other half of the New York Steams, the Yankees in the World Series for a championship. That is your Hofey Magical moment, brought to you by Hofey Hot Dogs, Haffey so Coow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years, Hoffey hot Dogs Local so Great. When we continue here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check back in with Rick Monday is we're lean you up to first pitch on this Friday from New York Dodgers and Mets. I'm Tim Kasi's the World Champion Los Angeles Sanders Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue All Season Law.
Speaker 6: Jason Dodgers and the Mets Clayton Kershawn Griffin Cannon. The pitching matchup First Pitching City Field set for four ten and.
Speaker 5: Now joined by David Bassey. Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 12: Rick Monday and the Dodgers in the Big Apple and Rick. This kicks off a big stretch of playoff type opponents the Dodgers are going to face between now and the middle of June.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's an excellent point that you bring up, David. You and I we're just talking off here about the fact that it's okay from here and then on to Cleveland as well. Is this a preview of what we may see the National League Championship Series Dodgers and Mets. That's a possibility. Although the Phillies currently have a two game lead over the Mets in the Eastern Division of the National League. A. Yes, they're going to be playing against the very good teams. The other part, too, is right now on this two city trip, the Dodgers need to start playing better on the road. There are only one game above five hundred on the road while they're at home. Incredibly good record, but just twelve and eleven away from Dodgers steady, and that needs to change. One thing that maybe is changing is that you and I were talking the other day, is it. Before Wednesday's game, Dave Roberts was saying to the media that he was going to make a statement to the starting pitchers and the Dodgers that they need to stretch things out a little bit longer. And for Yamamoto, he went seven and then you look at the Dustin May he wound up going six and two thirds. So that is a good sign because you and I both know, along with other people following the Dodgers, the bullpen cannot really maintain the pace that they're on right now with a number of innings that they're really called upon to pitch, no doubt about it.
Speaker 12: Rick and I know in today's baseball we hear all these numbers and everybody tries to make it sound a lot more complicated than it is. Doesn't It just come down to the starters giving the Dodgers a chance to win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, I think that's the goal. You know. We we make fun sometimes about the fact though we've got an opener, we've got a gutten this a run preventer. Well are they not all supposedly run preventers, whether they're starting or coming in relieving. So yeah, this is this is a point in time that you know, need to make a statement and for goodness sake, give the bullpen a rest, because you know they came in to that last series in Arizona, the Dodger bullpen having pitched more innings than any other team in Major League Baseball. That cannot sustain itself over the entirety of the season.
Speaker 12: And when you look at the two teams that are right behind in that category, behind the Dodgers in that category, they're two of the worst teams in baseball in the Marlins and White Sox. Obviously not a recipe for six sss.
Speaker 4: No, how did the Rockies escape that list? Because here's the deal with the Rockies. By the way, the Rockies are twenty three games behind the Dodgers in the Western Division of the National League?
Speaker 5: Is that all?
Speaker 4: And yeah, Well, as at the moment they're eight and forty two. You know, that is the worst fifty games start of any team in Major League Baseball history. I don't think it was all of Bud Black's fault, do you?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 12: Never thought it was, And I thought they had a say as a manager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we didn't think that as the beginning quite frankly, is that I've had the pleasure of knowing Bud Black for a long time, when he was a pitcher, for example, in Major League Baseball, and then as a coach and as a manager. You cannot find a nicer person, and I think a very good baseball person. And if you're looking at trying to put out nightmares in Denver with the pitching staff, he understands it better than I think anybody. So you know, the finger was pointed to him at least for right now. But my goodness, he has not had the greatest talent handed to him by the guy that fired him. Yeah.
Speaker 12: The good news for Bud Blackrick the timely firing for him allowed him to rejoin his eighty five Royals teammates for the World Series reunion in Kansas City last week. So I guess that was a good thing.
Speaker 4: See, David, you're always on the trail to try and find the story. I did not realize that, but yeah, it allows him a chance to maybe get a breather and kind of cleanse the mind, because that can that can be ear shatter you. You think back to Jim Leland, for example, if you go back in the number of years when he was managing the Rockies. First of all, he lived in the locker room when they were at home. He did not have another residence that did he rented or bought or anything else. He basically lived in the locker room. But he finally called uncle. He'd had enough. He said, that was not baseball. It was being played and or managed when you were playing at almost a mile altitude up in Denver.
Speaker 12: All right, Rick, hopefully the Dodgers and Mets get this started on time. Got word the Dodgers batting practice was canceled today, So hopefully there's no bumps in the air tonight for the Dodgers and Mets. We'll check back in with you a little bit later, and can't wait to do this again tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh, can't wait, David, Oh.
Speaker 12: He's giddy about it. Rick Monday, our guy, our world champion. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 6: Tim, all right, thanks a lot, DV. And that's the Dodger game plan. Dodger fans, you need a game plan. How about starting your future at California Community College. Financial aid to available to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so enroll today and I can go to college dot com. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, We'll get you a premium this pitching matchup. Rick will be back with Stephen Nelson gets you those keys to the game. With up Max, we go high in sight with the manager Dave Roberts. Leaning up to Dodgers and Mets on this Friday from Cityfield in Queens, New York.
Speaker 1: First pitch at four ten.
Speaker 6: I'm Tim Kasey's world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 6: It's a Dodgers and Mets Clayton Kershaw gripping canny to bitchy matcha. We'll dive deepen in the numbers, coming up, Get just a little bit. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by zen She Handcrafted Sushi. Enjoyed the game with quick, affordable meal that the whole family can enjoy. Zench Sushi made fresh onsite daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion and tradition.
Speaker 1: You can trust it and you can find it.
Speaker 6: It's inside participating Ralph's right next to the deli counter. It's the Zench hand Crafted Sushi counter. They got poke bowls, they got all the wraps you can enjoy against zen She hand crafted sushi, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 5: What will likely be vass a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 1: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 5: This is high and tight.
Speaker 12: It's Krushaw Day and the Big Apple. And we're joined right now by Dodger manager Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 13: Hey Dave, good to catch up and another exciting night.
Speaker 4: Yeah it is.
Speaker 12: It's always great to be in New York. And as far as coming back to city Field. I know we always talk about the World Series, but what stands out to you the most about the NLCS last year?
Speaker 13: You know what? I think the thing that stands out most is Walker striking out Lin d'Or with a three to two curveball. I think show hey hit a huge homer. Just the energy, there a lot of good memories. I'm sure they're going to be looking to get some redemption and payback, but it's going to be a great series.
Speaker 12: The NLCS was just an encapsulation of how much you leaned on your bullpen, and this year you're kind of feeling the residual effects of the way that you needed to use those guys to win the World Series. How are you right now with your bullpen now? And I guess that's a price that you're willing to pay, and they were willing to pay.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, I think if you look back at that series and even that Padre series, I think it was Game three that we sort of had to kind of hang in there and use the bullpen to kind of get to the next day. We did that obviously at Cityfield in the CS. Right now, it's certainly not ideal coming off and off day I feel much better about the state of our pen, the pitching. But I think that as we look out, and I think Clayton coming into his second one, I'm going to be a little bit more mindful as far as the usage. But I think the other guys who've gotten their feet wet, I'm going to push them because you know, obviously we need to win baseball games, but these guys have got to go deeper in games, and they've got to kind of take a little bit of the strain off the pen, who have certainly been tax in the first couple months.
Speaker 12: Kershaw talk about having a lack of command, but he was happy with his stuff. Do you feel like both will get better with time?
Speaker 13: I do, and I think and I even told Clayton this after this outing is I think I would be more concerned if the stuff wasn't there, that we don't have enough to work with. But the stuff was there, so I feel and I think he echoes that feels good about that. And command is something that he's always been able to navigate and manage and have, so yeah, after the first one, I do think that the command's going to continue to get better.
Speaker 12: Manager Dave Roberts two time manager, World champion is our guest. When you look at your bullpen and your pitching staff. I know it's hard to say who's the most valuable or who's the best, But would you say Ben Caspirius has been more valuable than anybody outside of these walls would have expected?
Speaker 13: Oh? Absolutely. I think that this is a guy that came on the scene last year and pitches some big ball games. But the leverage innings, the amount of innings that he's given us, the stability, which, to be quite frank, we haven't really had that in the pitching So for a guy that's got call it, three months of service to be a stabilizer has been huge for us.
Speaker 12: He seems to be very open to the different versatile spots that you have for him.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and I think that's a good thing. I think some of it is youthfulness, naivete, just happy to be in the big leagues where there's a complete buy in. But I do think that he is understanding that his openness and willingness to do different things allows for a lot of ability to plug some holes and to protect and help us win baseball games. And so I just kind of put him in that high leverage bucket and use him as a Swiss army knife.
Speaker 12: All right, Dave, I'm going to throw something at you that I get thrown at. And it's a valid question. With all those starting pitching injuries, has there been an urge among yourself and the group in the front office to maybe accelerate Otani coming back to pitch? And how do you resist that?
Speaker 13: You know? The short answers, No, I think that show hey, doctor Elatross a training staff for all driving this sort of ramp up progression. I think it's separate. It's a separate issue, and I think that you know one part of it, or that I guess the main part of it is his value to us as a hitter as it is, as it stands, is so valuable, right, and so to try to speed something up to take on some type of downside just doesn't make sense. So I do think that we are being very methodical about it. I can safely say he's probably not going to pitch for us until after the break. But I don't think that the injuries that we've had is going to speed up his process.
Speaker 12: You played against and with Barry Bonds. Did you ever think you would say what you said, as far as Otani being in the same sentence with him.
Speaker 13: No, I didn't know Barry was number one with a bullet as far as by far the best baseball player ever played with, ever seen. But now you laren what Showhy can do with foot, speed, with power, with average, but also the pitching. And I think that's something that you know, you're you're trying to grate out the whole player in totality, where I can't believe I'm saying that, But yeah, Showy in totally he is a better baseball player because you can pitch.
Speaker 12: Hey, you've seen a lot of baseball and you're not done. You've seen a lot of things and a lot of great players and looking forward to more of a great season. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 13: Thanks Dave, good having you and good being on with you, and let's have a great series there.
Speaker 1: He is the manager of the Dodgers.
Speaker 12: Dave Roberts, two time World Series champion, looking for another one. Dave will receive a gift card to Javiers. Yes, that Haveviers finest foods of Mexico. They have a new location in downtown. Check it out, Tim, we'll send it back to you.
Speaker 13: In the studio.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks a lot, DV.
Speaker 6: Yeah, lead you out to first pitch this Memorial Day weekend Dodgers in New York.
Speaker 1: Thank you to the manager. Dave Robbers.
Speaker 6: Lean up to first pitch as the Dodgers look to continue the winning streak after winning two straight to finish off that homestand Dodgers Baseball is brought to by Shaky's Pizza Parlor Order, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. Because when it's game night, it's group night and Shakys dot Com Lean, you have to first pitch from New York Dodgers and Mets' next I'm deeper into this pitching match up. Don't go anywhere. I'm Tim Kasey's World champion in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting Game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 1: It's a Dodgers and Mets.
Speaker 6: First pitch from Queens, New York is coming up at four ten.
Speaker 5: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 6: Presented by your Southern California and Toyota Dealers. Work hard, and play hard in a new Tocomo with an I Force Turbo charts engine. It's a truck built for the bull. See your Toyota dealer today. They make it easy. Griffin Cannon on the Mount five and one with the two forty seven era, twenty nine year old right hander out of Southern can California. Sixth season in the Big Leagues, first five with the Angels and last year brief time with the Braves. He's kind of fell off the maps with the Braves after last year released the Angels. Well, he didn't have very much luck with him last year. That's why he went to Atlanta. The Mets picked him up and they signed him to a one year deal and he's been really good for them since joining the rotation. Making his tenth starts this year in fact, shocked a lot of people how good he's been. Last time out five and at third innings to run seven hits, four strikeouts and a no decision against the Yankees at City Field. This year five starts two and oh A one to sixty one E. Clayton Kersh on the mound for the Dodgers, Oh and oh with an eleven twenty five er. The future Hall of Famer is looking for his first win this year after one start against the Angels last weekend, Dodgers Mets were fifteen minutes away from first pitch.
Speaker 1: Keys to the game are next.
Speaker 6: I'm Tim Kasis, World Champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 5: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the Blue All season.
Speaker 6: Low Dodgers in New York to take on the Mets. Series opener from Cityfield coming up. Clayton Kershaw, Griffin cannyon the pitching matchup. Le's head back out to the booth one final time before first pitch. Steven Nelson, Rick Monday. Guys, all right.
Speaker 3: T see some light rainfall here in Flushing, Queens as the Dodgers and Mets prepare to open up this three game series and kick off a clash over the next couple of weeks. They'll face seven times in total, these two clubs. A rematch of last year's National League Championship series. You have stars all over the place. Otani and Lindora, the top two finishers in the MVP voting. Juan Soto, his first year as a Met, off to an interesting start.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman, Clayton Kershaw. The list goes on and on, all the reasons why you want to lock in on these three games, but Rick Monday wants you to lock in on a few keys for this series opener for the Dodge.
Speaker 4: I say, for Clayton Kershaw, we don't know how long he's going to be able to pitch stays in the ball game. Eighty three pitches in his initial outing coming back. I mean, this is still early for Clayton Kershaw. But he understands how to pitch. He understands how to make adjustments. The other thing I've talked about Kershaw really through the entirety of his career, he reads hitters exceptions well. And by that I'm talking about the guy has a good swing and a certain pitch, or a bad swing and a certain pitch. He understands that, he recognizes it and hopefully that plays well for him in tonight's ball game. The other part, too, is the Dodgers need to figure out Griffin Canning, who has become a different pitcher, not only this year, He's become a different pitcher already this year, two different kind of guys because he started out the first three starts his era was well over four, but if you look at the last six starts, he has been lights out, four wins, no losses in those six games and an ERA barely above one and a half.
Speaker 3: It's really been a revelatory season for Griffin Canning here in Queens Are. Our previous segment, you talked about the Dodger bullpen, the relationship that it has with the starters not being able to go deep into games, and we've sort of, we've not sort of, we've definitely seen that kind of bubble to the surface in recent weeks with guys in Indiangelis and guys working exhausted and their numbers getting inflated out there. You know, if you're in that clubhouse, is that a conversation or is this just one of those things that happen for every team in the course of one sixty two? Like, are we making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is compared to you as a player actually going through.
Speaker 4: No, we talk about it because we have to. They play around it because they have to, and they understand full well. When all the dust is settled tonight, you know, we're gonna read in the paper tomorrow the matchups between Otani and Soto. Which one won that battle. The score of the game may be secondary as far as the headline.
Speaker 3: They're both winning the bank account battle, that is for sure. All Right, Tim Kates are going to get it back to The Dodgers continue this gauntlet, a four week stretch that is unmatched in their season and perhaps unmatched by any other team's regular season. The amount of quality teams above five hundred teams of the Dodgers are facing over the next four weeks, and they got to survive in advance despite being depleted on the pitching side.
Speaker 6: All Right, thank you, Nelly, coming up first pitch Dodgers and Mets on this Friday from City Field.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it.
Speaker 6: I'm Tim Katson. This is the world champion in Los Angeles. Dodgers Audio Nutwork