Speaker 1: Hey, it's Sandy. Thanks for checking out the podcast version of the radio show. Would you do me a favorite and go ahead and tap that subscribe button. That way you get notifications every time we put out a new episode and you won't miss anything. All right, Thanks enjoying the show. If we've got a new command for your smart speaker, and it's really easy, just ask it to play one O three to one Austin. It's the JV and Sandy Show on Austin's eighty station one O three point one. If you're just joining us Stephen Presley as our guest. He joins us every Friday to talk Hollywood. Follow him on Instagram at under pop tv, same thing on YouTube. Earlier, he told us Little House on the Prairie is getting a Netflix reboot and that the Minecraft movie runs the risk of killing the vibe, killing the street cred of the actual game. Now let's talk. Since we've talked about Netflix and Little House on the Prairie, let's talk a little bit about the price increases. I mean it's pretty significant increase in different tears. Have you seen this? JB.
Speaker 2: Yeah heard, No, I did, I did see Uh I got I think I got a money alert. What is that rocket money rocking money alert that that was going up? And then they'll let you know if you they can go dispute it for you, which is nice, but I was wondering what the deal was with that.
Speaker 1: What's the social media saying Steven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people are you know, there's some mixed reviews, but mostly people are upset. But one one woman said it's still cheaper than cable, so get a grip.
Speaker 4: She's telling people to. Also, this is the best one.
Speaker 3: Chai said, Cobra Kai never dies, but my subscription will after next month.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's tough. You can't look at it just as one thing. You're not replacing one thing. In this modern world, you have to have six subscriptions to get all the shows you want, and everyone's got subscription fatigue. It's you're not the main player. It's not it's not like you're the days of bidding making a decision between Direct TV and Time Warner Cable, right right, Yeah, it's not like that at all, all this oli cart stuff. You know, periodically I just go in and cancel it just to see what my wife and daughter are watching or not watching.
Speaker 1: That's smart.
Speaker 2: And then when they go Hey, what happened to HBO Max? I go, oh, let me, let me check and I go start sign it back up.
Speaker 1: You know, it's pretty good stuff and it's free, but it's full of ads. But tob have you guys watched to be a lot of good programming on that? I mean the programming, Uh, probably not. It's all old stuff that, yeah, but it's things I'm interested in.
Speaker 2: But it's the old model of get it for free and watch the ads.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's yeah, and some stuff I just like, I'm going to look at my phone during the ads anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No problem is that it's always a price hike. I feel like we've just had one six months ago. I feel like it's not like every year eighteen months, it's multiple times. And then when you have multiple streamers that you have a subscription to, it's just constant notification.
Speaker 6: That's your more.
Speaker 5: Eventually, if not already, you're paying more for all of your subscriptions.
Speaker 6: An you work for cable and start that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. And somehow some way Netflix manages to lose money at this.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean is that what they're saying is why they're hiking their subscriptions prices because they lose money.
Speaker 1: Got to be the reason. I mean a bit of a turnaround. But I'm just looking at something that searched real quick. You know.
Speaker 3: My hunch is is they're all trying to keep up with the Joneses, and there's you know, there's arms race, and now they all want in on the NFL and live sports. Well that's yeah, to compete with with you know things like you know, Time Warner, Cable or now Spectrum and you know cable that has that live sports component. So that's costing them money to get you know, that one that whether they broadcast two games on Christmas Day.
Speaker 4: Or one game, they paid beyond.
Speaker 3: They did that big Beyonce concert, which I'm sure costs a lot of money too. So they're spending on things like that to try to keep up with the Joneses. And that's why I think subscriptions right now are going on.
Speaker 2: Oh, in twenty twenty three, their CEO did take a pay dip to forty nine point eight million.
Speaker 1: He's all right, yeah, I'm gonna set up a go fund me for it.
Speaker 6: Were God, yeah got out.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, if the Mike Tyson fight his indiandication, I don't think Cable has anything to worry about. I think they're going to be able to keep the live events because that was a disaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was Yeah, it was uh Harrison Ford really yeah, I can says why. That's the perfect answer for what Harrison Ford's what Steven's going to tell you, Harrison Ford's going to do? Go ahead. Yeah.
Speaker 3: My first thought, you know, he's in his early eighties is eighty two.
Speaker 4: That's what I looked up this morning.
Speaker 3: I thought he was in his seventies. He's actually in the early eighties. It looks like, Yeah, I thought he was about done after he came back and did that one more Indiana Jones, one more Star Wars, not that he wasn't in great shape or anything and could could still keep going, but I felt like, you know, he kind of like, you know, it's kind of like done with it it. But my theory why he keeps working is to keep him out of trouble, because he kept getting in those plane crashes, his plane around and I think I think Alan mcbeil's wife was a Calissa Flockhart. I think his wife is like, you're going back out to work to keep you had trouble that.
Speaker 2: My theory was he just wants to keep working because he's marrying a young woman is just driving him crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like the old rock bands that go out on tour, like Bruce Springsteen and the East Street Band went back out on tour because they wanted to get away from their wife and family. That's why they wanted to hang out with their bros for a while and just be dudes instead of being told wipe the toilet seat when you're done, do you know what I mean? Yeah, that's what they wanted. So that problem. But he's going to be the Hulk, right, He's going.
Speaker 3: To be a verst He's going to be a version of the Hulk, which was in the comic books. Is the Red Hulk? He plays actually the President of the United States in this new Captain American movie that becomes the Red Hulk. But I'm thinking, like an eighty year old guy morphing metamorphosing into the Hulk is not can't be good on your heart?
Speaker 6: And is it an old Hulk? Is it an eighty year old Hulk too? What does he look like like?
Speaker 1: How's that that's what he looks like? Probably? Yeah, right, Steven? What does your shirt say your microphone's covering up your shirt? What's it say?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is the inside joke.
Speaker 6: Killers out Post, Miller's Outposts, Miller's Outpost.
Speaker 3: So we live so my neighborhood, my cul de Sac. We live behind a shopping center in the crispy neighborhood, and there's always new stuff going in this shopping center. The anchor is the Taco Deli and the T twenty two, but there's always new stuff going in there, and there's something, you know, there's something new coming in. We get on a text thread with me and the people in the cul de Second. We're all kind of speculating what's coming in next, like what do we get in the shopping center? And so I made a joke with my one of my neighbors, my neighbor Bob.
Speaker 4: It's a real funny guy. I said, maybe we're going to get a Mervyn's Miller's out Post.
Speaker 1: I hope.
Speaker 5: See.
Speaker 7: He didn't think it was.
Speaker 4: Funny, and I was like, that's funny.
Speaker 5: Come on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So now I'm trolling him and I found it a Miller's Outpost T shirt on Prime.
Speaker 1: So what is it? I don't I'm not familiar with the Miller's Outpost. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: Oh, it was great, did you know, JB. Just know Miller's Outpost.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I remember the name. It's like a department store kind of thing, right, my.
Speaker 3: Favorite store in the early nineties, late eighties. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Our local Austin historian here, Tricia okay.
Speaker 2: I.
Speaker 6: All right, yeah, yeah, it was like a Mervin's.
Speaker 3: They had it over near Anderson one eighty three, kind of near the uh that that area, and it was Now there's a Planet Fitness in there and I don't know what else, like a hobby lobby's in that shopping center now, but that was the Miller's Outpost Mervins, and that was the hot.
Speaker 4: Spot from back to school shopping for me.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, yeah, I think Murvins would have been a lot more successful if its name wasn't Mervin's. It's also like when the department store that was big that all the kids to shop out Wieners because it was embarrassing because of the name. Name is important for your place of business.
Speaker 1: Dick Sporting Goods has worked out for him. What about it?
Speaker 6: I know, but that's a little bit more man. You know what I mean, Wiers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Miller's Outposts is now known as Anchor Blue. The company filed for minkruptcy in two thousand and nine, closed all its stores in twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Wow, I don't remember a T shirt though. That's funny.
Speaker 5: Let's get a Mervin's T shirt.
Speaker 4: Pick it up another.
Speaker 1: Level, Steven, Thanks for joining us. We do appreciate it. Give him a follow on Instagram and on YouTube. It is at thunder Pop TB. It's the Jab and Sandy Show. Don't forget. If you're listening on my iHeartRadio app to go ahead and tap that save as preset button and make us your number one precept More coming up one.
Speaker 4: Three point one.
Speaker 6: Austin feels new fresh.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 1: I love my Precepts.
Speaker 7: Precepts are the best.
Speaker 6: To join the millions already on the new and improved iHeartRadio app. It's just like my car radio on my phone.
Speaker 4: Find your new favorite feature Columbi iHeart Radio app today, Hi Heart Radio.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's Sandy. You guys have heard about Blitz scratch tickets right from the Texas Lottery. Big prizes from five thousand dollars all the way up to one million dollars. That's the top prize. Better get yours while you can't. Plus, you can interwin some great vip iHeartRadio concert experiences by going to Texaslottery dot com. The Texas Lottery supports Texas education and veterans. When Texans play, Texans win. So play today. It could be your lucky day. Friends. The blitz is on. It's the JV and Sandy Show. It's Austin Davies Station, one of three point one. Breakups are harder on men than they are for women. But Tricia is just delighted to tell everybody why that is. Because I don't know. In my mind, I would just think, I guess they would be harder on girls. I don't know. But tell everybody why they're harder on men.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The reason that they're harder on men is not because if his girl leaves them, he's heartbroken and he's sad and he's emotional. It's because in most relationships, girls take care of all the details of everyday life.
Speaker 6: So it's harder for guys because.
Speaker 5: When she leaves, they don't know where anything is, or passwords to get into accounts or anything like that. It's more difficult like in reality, not difficult emotionally for them to to get over it.
Speaker 1: I kind of gotta agree.
Speaker 2: That, right, Yeah, it's the opposite at our house. Oh really, I handle everything I wish I didn't have to. Yeah really And yeah, and she's the one with with a major in economics. I kind of was hoping she'd take over all this crap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you this. If it wasn't or Tricia, I wouldn't have the faintest idea anything to do with health insurance, right nothing. Tricia just does it, and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Okay, it so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't know. I wouldn't know where to start with a health and try. I know. I get this low plastic card that Tricia gives me and tells and looks me in the eye every time and goes, put that in your wallet. I go, look at me, lose it?
Speaker 6: Take this? Do you watch you put it in your wallet right now?
Speaker 1: Gone, take a picture of it and put it in your phone too, because you're going to need this. It's funny somehow I always managed when I do go to the doctor, give him the wrong card yep.
Speaker 5: And then he calls me and says, will you take a picture of your card and send it to me, please.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, Nate Bergatsi and his stand up.
Speaker 5: He talks about how his wife's the gatekeeper, and he's like, I can't get any money without asking her. I don't know where anythings he goes. So some days I just walk around to local banks and go, is my money in here?
Speaker 6: Do you guys have my money?
Speaker 5: Like he's trying to find it his wife.
Speaker 1: I do, guys. I'm not gonna name names, but I know guys that still just get an allowance from their wife. This is how much they She pays all the bills, does all the things. But this is how much money you get to spend for two weeks. Is what I need?
Speaker 7: But actually both of us need that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So that's an interesting question, JB. At what point, what dollar amount or is there a dollar amount that you have to you feel obligated to let your wife know you're making a purchase, Like for me, if I'm going to spend more than five hundred dollars, I'm gonna plutricia in on it. Do you guys have anything like that? Are you just out there just wow?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 7: No, any big purchases are a dark deep secret.
Speaker 2: And then I go through all the accounts, so I'll see it and I'll go and she'll be like like she knows that tone, yeah, like what was this? And then she just gets all apologetic and squirrels away with his shoulders slumped out.
Speaker 1: It's funny, but sometimes you got to take the take the reins on things. Chris's pretty much handles money in our house now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, money and health insurance the worst.
Speaker 5: I do. Make Sandy deal with her taxes, though, I'll make health insurance over taxes any day, any.
Speaker 1: But taxes are only like for a short time in the year. Health insurance is all year long. The health insurance company, yeah, I mean just.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't mind picking up the phone and lighten somebody yet, because those health insurance companies are Yeah, I have to do it.
Speaker 6: All the time.
Speaker 5: I'm battling with them right now over one hundred dollars that they owe me. And it's just one hundred dollars in the amount of time I've spent on the phone with them. Probably I should let it go, but I'm digging in and I'm like, no, it's it's just the print of it. Now, you owe me one hundred dollars and I want it. It's like that guy give me my two dollars in that movie.
Speaker 1: You think it's in the training manual to tell them, make it hard, make it difficult, make them just tell them no the first time, and see if they call a ball.
Speaker 2: I fully think that's the policy of most health insurances. Just bill them and see if they'll pay it without say anything, because most people won't.
Speaker 5: One thing that I do. Sometimes, you know, at the beginning, they'll say this call will be recorded for accuracy, blah blah blah. So of course you never get it handled with the first customer service rep you talk to. You always end up talking to a second and a third different phone calls, different days, and I will go, nope, you guys told me that you were recording my last conversation, so I will hold while you pulled that conversation up my face. And they're like, well man, and I'm like, oh, no, no, no, it says what I'm saying. I meanwhile, they probably didn't record it at all. But that has worked a couple of times where they're just like, God, give this check her money and get her off the phone.
Speaker 2: Well, just tell them right back. I'm recording, Yeah, freaking out. Well, don't do that app. You can do it during your call. You can record your calls that app owl it's a no taking app. That's an AI note taking summary, but it'll record a call pretty easily.
Speaker 6: iPhone feature, that's true.
Speaker 7: I think it's filled under the iPhone now yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, but yours will write up a summary, right, yeah, yeah, that was funny, dude. We had a meeting last week and Jamie and I were chatting after the meeting and then I said to JB Sorr, I got to go because I have to have this exact same recap conversation with Tricia, and JB's like, oh man, I should have recorded the conversation. Then what does it do print out a summary? Yeah?
Speaker 7: I started doing that with my wife.
Speaker 2: She wants to know how every call I have went there a meeting, So I just go. I just email her the summary.
Speaker 5: Then let me get She still has questions, right, because yes I did.
Speaker 2: She goes through the summary with a red pen. I think she wants to as out I'm crazy.
Speaker 1: It's the JV and Sandy, So thanks for being with us. We appreciate it. Give us a follow on Facebook, just search the JV and Sandy Morning Show. This is Austin's eighties station what Oh three point one, streaming on iHeartRadio app, and we've made it easier for you to listen on your smart speaker. Just say play one O three one Austin. More coming up on Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Hey, thanks for listening to the podcast. We'll see you on the radio every morning from six until ten on Austin's eighty station what O three point one, streaming on the iHeartRadio app. You can also ask your smart speaker to play us. Just say play what oh three to one Austin