Speaker 1: And it is time for the wonder that is the Minnesota Goodbye. Hillary writes in and says I'm looking for any feedback or advice for a parent with a girl starting Scouts. We went to her first pack meeting. She had a great time. I was pleased to see several older girls there. One of the older girls was very sweet and came over to talk to both of my girls a few times. Cheers from Hillary. I'm going to guess you're talking about Scouts, not girl Scouts. They don't call them boy scouts anymore. I think they just call them scouts because there were boy Scouts for years, and then about ten years ago or so, they started admitting girls. And I don't have any experience with girl Scouts. I don't really know. I know that some people love girl Scouts and some people love boy Scouts, and I'm going to call it boy Scouts just for clarity. I got out of Scouts with my I was a pack liter troop leader. I got out about the time they started allowing girls in. But girls love it, and girls have been actually a member of Scouting for a long time. But you had to be a little bit. I can only say it is a great thing. It is an activity that welcomes everybody, whether you're you know, I think thing about sports is you have to be strong or fast, or tall or whatever, and in Scouts everybody can succeed. Sure, And there's so many things to love. If you like camping, you'll love it. If you like canoeing, if you like adventure, if you like going on like hikes and sailing trips and adventure, there's a lot of that in Scouts. It doesn't really start until it's mostly field trips and a little mild camp out. When you're a little kid, you go to a field trip to the arboretum or the fire station or the airport or whatever. But yeah, it was such a great I love it. And I think one of the great things about kids in Scouts is you get to participate just as much as they do. And by that I mean if your kid plays lacrosse, you don't get to suit up and go play. You can coach, you can watch your coach, or play gatorade, bring gatorade. But with Scouts you can go on the campouts. You're encouraged to come along on the field trips and the canoeing trips and whatever. So yeah, I definitely think that you should give it a shot, but other people might have a different opinion. I'm biased because I mean, yeah, I grew up.
Speaker 2: I feel like, if it's a new experience and it could be fun, try it, and if it's not for you, then don't do it long term. Like I'm I'm all for like trying things out. I don't know. I don't have any experience with scouting period.
Speaker 1: It's not really your thing.
Speaker 2: But if somebody was like, Bailey, do you want to try scouting for a week and we'll pay for it, I'll be like, Yeah, I want to try scouting for a week. Heck yeah.
Speaker 1: It was some of my best memories when I was a kid, and some of Carson's favorite memories too. Next one, good morning everyone, and my little bitch Dave. Okay, this is from Carmon. This is the way she talks to me. We've been friends for twenty years. Really for Bailey, Bailey, let's talk the facial hair and getting older, and you will start getting hair all over your face and you won't even know till you rub your face and squeal out what the fuck is that? You'll grab the tweezers that little bitch won't come out when you finally get out at the room, and all that shitthead grows back in a week. Jesus, don't forget your little neck. Those things pop up out of nowhere and if you don't catch them, they're gonna You're gonna be an inch long. Getting older is not graceful, and once you hit menopause you start drinking heavily because of all the hot flashes and no sleep, you might end up going bat shit crazy. See all the wonderful stuff you got to look forward to anyway, Love you guys from Carmen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Carmen. I really can't wait, except that's me now though I feel like that's already where I'm at, where it's not even like, Oh, I touch my face and i feel a hair coming out of it, and I'm like, oh my god, what is that. I know exactly what that is because I have been dealing with it for the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's awful. If you have any input on that, then let me know. As always, here comes Juanita. Now, I have not previewed Juananita's rant, but if you give me a second, I will click all the proper things here. Okay, hold on, this is not a rant. This is a and it's long, so I won't. I'm not gonna play the whole thing, okay, but I'm going to play part of this that one Nita sent in. Okay, you ready, I'm ready. Okay, Here we go to about field trips.
Speaker 3: This this field trip I have ever been on in my fucking life. They took us to a fucking cotton processing blaze. And there was a big ass cotton field out in the middle of fucking Raymond, Alabama, in the south of Montgomery County. We went there, and me and twenty eight other little nigglas in Miss Harfer's third grade classroom. They took our asses out there in the middle of the fucking August heat and said, hey, y'all. They gave us bags and shit like little cute, little plastic gangs with a cute with a cotton puff person with a smile on his face, and they're like, hey, y'all, got y'all go out there, half punk, pick as much cotton as you want. And so I'm my stupid ass went, you know, I went. My mama signed off on it, and then think about it, and I went to the fucking field trip. My d the fields is having a good old time. We were singing songs and shit and remember the most good field pick and got there in cotton in the middle of the fucking heat. And then you know, I'm thinking, because it's a field trip, they told us you can pick as much as you won't. Hey, you get to keep the fuck got you can keep it. So I was like, yeah, I'm gonna keep it. And we can't go to get back on the bus. They're like, all right, kids, turn you bags man, then take our answers inside and took all the damn cotton that we had.
Speaker 1: Okay, it goes on for another minute or so.
Speaker 2: Okay, wild they went on a field trip to a cotton picking plan.
Speaker 1: That's funny, Wanita. It is funny and it's awful. And if you want to watch the entire clip, go on YouTube and search picking cotton on a racist field trip. So thank you, Wanita. Always count on one Eeda for a laugh. Okay, I'm gonna skip on that one. This one might be a little bit. I'm gonna ahead and read it and see what happens. Okay, here we go, Morning show crew. I want to follow up on the conversation about feminism. Did we talk about that a lot on the Minnesota Goodbye Yesterday?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, I mean not a lot, but like, yeah, part of it.
Speaker 1: To be clear, the definition of feminism is a collection of political, social, and moral philosophies that aim at gender equality. I hate to break it to you, but if you want equal rights for men and women, you, my friend, are a feminist, Dave. The man haters you're referring to are actually called misandrius. You ever heard of that, miss and Yeah, Miss Andrews. It is unfortunately a small radical group of people that give feminism such a bad image. Although there are laws that protect women's rights, that doesn't mean things that things from the patriarchy, you don't negatively affect women. For example, on average, women make eighty three point six cents for every dollar a man makes. That number is even less if you are a woman of color. Pink tax exists. Historically, medical studies and car safety studies were only conducted on men, so like crash test dummies were men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a man's world, That's what I said.
Speaker 1: Well, women shouldn't drive. I mean, I think we all agree that women Because you're busy. You're hanging your nails out the window to drive now trying to get a laugh. I got a little bit of a laugh. Oh you know, I will tell you. Bailey and I and Fallon and I started this, and maybe Lena started and I'm not sure, but we have a TV in the studio and we'll look up at the TV once in a while, and one of our running gags was if there's a woman astronaut on TV. Lena would say like, oh my god, look at her. She must be wearing her husband's astronaut suit. And we would laugh. Or we'd look up at a female cop on TV and Fallon would say, Uh, look at that girl. It must be Halloween. She's dressed up as a cop. Because I think sometimes humor is so stupid and so offensive that it makes you laugh. And so would you laugh if I looked up at the screen and there's a woman a firefighter, ah, and I said, oh my god, look at that. She must be dressed up for Halloween.
Speaker 2: I mean I would probably go like, a lady firefighter, what's happening? But then be like, yeah, go off, queen, you're doing it. You made it happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, so they say. To think our society doesn't have some deep misogynistic roots seems naive to me. Women have only had to write to vote since nineteen twenty. It was only in nineteen sixty that women could open up their bank account their own bank account, and not until nineteen seventy four when most women could do so without their husband's signature. These things affected the generations right before us. That was not that long ago. We've come a long way, but there is still room for improvement. I hope this email is received well, as I truly think people have a negative view on feminism when it's meant to benefit all of us. Yes, I too once thought that if feminists were a bunch of radical women who never shaved their armpits and despise men. That is from our local feminist friend Mary.
Speaker 2: Thanks Mary. Yeah, you put everything that I was feeling into words, so I appreciate that. Thank you. Well.
Speaker 1: I think it's like any political group. I think if you look at this political group, it's the ones that are fucking crazy that ruin it for everybody who is normal. Like, if you look at any political group, you go you want to do what or you look at Christianity. Okay, now, to me, Christianity is a wonderful benign really, yeah, I would consider myself if I'm anything, I'm a Christian. But I don't think that all well, there shouldn't be gay, and you shouldn't have a pink like I don't know, you shouldn't have a rainbow flag, and you shouldn't be trans or whatever. But I think that there are Christians who think that, just as there are probably many other faces that have these raddical views. But I think that's what fucks it up for the rest of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you could say the same thing, like the guys who are like, well, women are the problem because they have high expectations and blah blah blah. They're also like a radical viewpoint of why women are making the world a worst place. And same with like Missandress, who are the same way with like men are ruining everything. I don't think necessarily men are ruining everything. I think it's a man's world and it was created for the patriarchy blah blah blah blah blah. So that's why I am a feminist. I would love it if all women had the same rights as well.
Speaker 1: I think it goes back. I mean, I've done a little bit of thinking about this. When historically men were more powerful because they were more powerfully built. So in the caveman days, men probably ruled the roost because they were more powerfully built and stronger. And as time went by, a man didn't need to be strong, and you didn't need a strong person in the household because you got shit that does the work for you, you know what I mean, Yeah, you don't need a man to like, I don't know, pull a plow or break the horses because we don't need plows and horses anymore. Yeah you get a tractor. Yeah you got a Honda. So we are now recovering from the past where you needed a strong man around the house because I ain't strong. I can't fix shit. I can't even fucking hardly lift things because I got a bad back, right, And also like, well my back is fine.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of stupid what like Mary was saying, like even historically, like women weren't allowed to vote until nineteen twenty, which honestly not that long ago, and like they couldn't own a house or like they couldn't have a bank account unless their husband signed off on it. So like when people say, like, oh, let's go back to the good old days when no one ever got divorced from like, they couldn't get divorced if they wanted any kind of rights. So like, even though maybe over time, like we didn't need men for being strong, like, we still needed them in order to have any kind of independence at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that also men back in the forties or sixties or whenever, they were taught to believe that they were maybe intellectually superior to women, right, which you know, is the craziest thing ever because clearly half of the population is just as smart as the other half, and there were a lot of I mean, I will say that we're catching up. It's taking time, and there is resistance, but we're catching up, yes, And I will use the example when I go to my dentist office. Every picture of women of dentists on the dentist wall is a woman of queen, I mean, and all of them. And it's not because you know, like they didn't say, hey, we need more women dentists. They probably said, well, who's smart enough to graduate from dental school? Women you are, And I will tell you this one the doctor who say my wife's life when she had this almost inoperable cancer was a woman named Kathy, And Kathy said, I'm really glad I got Susan. I'm glad that I drew the Susan card because I don't think anybody else would have been able to save Susan's life. And she was not patting herself on the back. She was staying, in fact like it with such a difficult surgery. And I'm glad that Kathy got Susan, drew the Susan card, or I'd be an Adult friend Finder, right, Yeah, well, actually, you know.
Speaker 2: What, that doesn't sound that now that you would be on Adult friend r Yeah, I'd like to call Kathy and be like, anyway that this could be reversed.
Speaker 1: That's terrible. I love your dark humor. Okay, anyway, here's laurel ah Bailey.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I want to scream when that woman called in saying what rights do men have that women don't? But you handled it very well, so bravo. I imagine it's hard and frustrating to come up with an attackfule response on the spot to answer her question. For one, there are no laws governing in men's bodies, and don't even get me start on medical misogyny. Everything we encounter, from the workday to our last names is centered around men, and it's ingrained in our daily lives so deeply that we are blind to it. I also think it's funny when people say they aren't a feminist. Every decent person on earth should consider themselves a feminist because by nefinition, it simply means equal rights for men and women. Yes, that's it. They're bra burning, man hating feminists, but that isn't and shouldn't be the standard. Okay, I'm done, thank you, Laurel.
Speaker 2: Yes, Laurel, Yes, I was so glad that. Honestly, I was so happy that people were texting in but also messaging me on like Instagram and Facebook being like, oh, I totally got where you were coming from. Because then some people were messaging me being like, your boobs are fine. I'm like, it wasn't about the boobs, It's not about the boobs, but it is. It was hard to like try and put my thoughts into words on the spot and be like a spokeswoman for all a spokesperson for all women. No, totally in that moment. So I was like, oh crap.
Speaker 1: Well, you can barely even vocalize what you want for lunch exactly.
Speaker 2: Probably read lfebster because you mentioned it earlier.
Speaker 1: I'm bummed that red Lobster is struggling because they were such a fixture of my childhood because we didn't have a lot of money, nor did we have expensive taste, so red Lobster to me, was like the height of fine dining.
Speaker 2: Oh I've never been you've never been to a red lost one.
Speaker 1: Now here's the difference. Red Lobster when I was a kid was a little bit darker, more luxurious experience, and now it's as bright as an Applebee's because they've decided to just like you know, hey, we don't want to be dark and mysterious and exotic. We want to be bright and lively like an Applebee's. But the food is still really good. No, it's not really good.
Speaker 2: It's decent.
Speaker 1: Red lobster food is decent and good, but it's not really You want really good seafood, Yeah, tell me where?
Speaker 2: Because I don't ever go to fancy places.
Speaker 1: Let me think, where would you go for really good seafood? Okay, I'm still thinking Okay, wildfire, Okay, wildfire, really good seafood, ocean air. I think I've been there one time. There might be some other places. Are you a food kind of a person? I love food? Okay, yeah I do too. The fishier, the better, the more disgusting, the more eai, the more suction cups that are on the fish, the more I like.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe not me for suction cups. Gross.
Speaker 1: The only seafood that I don't like is klamari. Yeah, calamari tastes like rubber bands fried.
Speaker 2: It does taste like rubber bands fried.
Speaker 1: Like it.
Speaker 2: Mahi mahi is such a good fish. Tilapia is so good. Me and my mom when I used to live at home still, we would do a tradition of New Year's Eve. We would get scallops and shrimp and we would eat scallops and shrimp on New Year's Eve and it's so delicious.
Speaker 1: Now that's funny. On Christmas Eve, we have a tradition we do crab legs, giant crab legs, and oyster stew. Yeah, it's a weird combination of a lot of seafood, but it's our Christmas Eve tradition. So we go to church and we do the thing where you like shake hands and like you know, past the candle flame back and forth, and you sing songs off the big screen and you listen to the Christmas message. But the whole time you're going and get it over with because I want to go home.
Speaker 2: Seafood, my crab legs, my king krab legs, so good, dipped in butter, Oh so good.
Speaker 1: Ashley writes in thank you for giving my daily dose of Minnesota news and culture. I left Minnesota a decade ago, and I listen every day not to get homesick. I am in the club of Dave never retire. Thank you. Bailey and Vont have are such amazing additions. The show has a new energy and it's so fun. I really believe that's true. And I hear that so often that I am convinced that the show is better now. I mean, I mean I always convinced it. I'm convinced that that people like the show much better with Bailey and Vont because you just bring a different energy, you know you do. You're fun and funny and quirky, and you kind of have a say anything kind of a vibe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of wonder because, like I've listened to the show for forever. So what I want to know because I don't have any like thought about me being on the show, and because I know Vant, I don't have a thought about him being on the show, but like comparatively to like when it was you Jenny Fallon Steve, like, how is it different? Or when it was you Lee Jackson and the other guy? Who is that guy? But I always I've always liked it best when there's four people, Okay, in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that sometimes the more people there are is just more chances of somebody relating to you. Like I talked about yesterday. Yeah, you know, friends, if there'd only been three friends, it would have been as good as if there were six friends. Yeah, And so I do think, And everybody's a different flavor. It's like everybody's a different spice. You're a little bit of Cuman.
Speaker 2: I'm Cuman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm probably onion powder.
Speaker 2: Yeah that checks out. You are onion powered.
Speaker 1: I would say. Jenny's like t no, she's cellery salty, sellery salt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that checks out.
Speaker 1: And Vant would be all spice, all spice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Why am I Cuman of all of them? Because not everybody likes you I want to be turneric because I stay in your clothes. What turmeric? You say, stain your clothes? What is that orange powder? It's sometimes, I mean you use it in cooking. Sometimes it's like kind of it's orange. It's like super stainy. Once I got yeah, once I got turmeric on a dress and I ruined it. It's t U R M E R I ce turmeric turmeric Okay, delicious, Okay.
Speaker 1: Continuing on with the same email, let me see if I can find it. I'm in your target demo of about thirty four about be thirty five ed twins in May and recently have gone back to work one. They give a lot of topics, so thank you, Ashley. Jenny and Bailey should consider when and if they want to have kids. Is two things energy and finance is like Jenny, Before I had kids, I was a huge biker, swimmer, hiker and smoothieal. I'm truly exhausted now. I can't imagine being forty and starting this journey. I was in great shape then, but now post emergency C section, my back and abs are so weak. I now make the sounds of an eighty year old man when I get off the floor, finances be ready, how expensive shit is. When making the baby registry, I was shocked at how much was needed and how expensive everything was, knowing it would be used for only a few months for certain life stages. I hated Amazon before, but now out of convenience, it's like every other week some new baby product is ordered and delivered. You're probably you. I mean, you would have a baby with the right circumstances, but it's not like you're going, oh, I gotta have a baby, like anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I feel like with Jenny it's a little bit more plausible. With me, I would have to meet someone, fall in love, get married, and then have a baby, and that takes a while. So I'm not really crossing my fingers for it, especially because I know I'm not old. But I'm getting to the point where if I met someone today, it would still be like a two year process, if not more. Yeah, in order to like, actually, you know, successfully get into a spot where I would have a child and then I'm geriatric at that point.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I was going to say. Is that what they call a jeriatric president to see if you're like thirty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty six and over is geriatric, and I always thought like, because I mean, I've I'd love to fall in love. That'd be great. I'd love to have a child, that would be great. Right now, it does not seem like it's in the cards for me. I wouldn't mind adopting a kid at age like forty forty five, I would adopt. I would adopt a kid, for sure, especially if it's a kid that's not like a baby, because realty, I don't like babies. I don't care for babies. I like children who are over four. Okay, I do not like babies. Okay, you can't communicate with them, you have to change their diapers. I don't like that. That's not something that sparks joy for.
Speaker 1: I don't know if anybody loves babies. Loves babies, okay, I mean I love babies. I tolerate babies well, but I really love like toddlers. Like right now, Ava is four, and she is so much fun. Yes, she is just so full of joy and at that age that you are their favorite person if they love you. They I mean, Ava comes over and show like, climb right up on my lap and show me her paw patrol motorcycle. She said, I brought this because I know you like motorcycles, and so she was showing me this paw Patrol motorcycle with a dog named Mercury.
Speaker 3: That sound right?
Speaker 2: How the hell am I don't think a freaking no paw patrol?
Speaker 1: What is another one from the same staff rider too? What is the most ridiculous thing you've seen in an airport? I was traveling for work this week and in the baggage area I saw twelve to fifteen people holding up signs and say welcome home from rehab.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Personally, I would be mortified. I don't know that I've ever seen anything ridiculous at an airport other than a dude or a woman talking really loudly on their cell phone. Yeah, And I'm like, you know, I think it's really high, like the height of living. If you go to the Delta sky Lounge. So you pay a little bit extra and you go in the Delta sky Lounge and it's all paid for. You get to eat and drink for free. Oh and it's super cool and you get to hang out and there's Wi Fi. But there's always business peace traveling.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's me Roger, uh huh. And they're walking up and down, or they're sitting there in their chair. Yeah it's Roger. Yeah, I'm in the Twin Cities right now. Yeah, it looks like we're about a three point zero on the Jefferson Project. Yeah ah ah, shut the fuck up. And I give them dirty looks and I hope they'll make eye contact, but they never do because they're so lost in their worlds. They have no Jefferson.
Speaker 2: Project where with all of what's happening around them.
Speaker 1: But I don't really do you see anything. We're in an airport, Bailey.
Speaker 2: Jane, Not really. I mean, I would have to really think about it, but I know that there's one thing in the Orlando airport that's actually an art piece, and it's this man who is sitting on the ground and napping and he's in a glass box. And the first time I saw it, I thought it was a real person, but it's like a piece of art. And it's called like Tired Tourist or something like that, and he's dressed up like a tourist and he's got his hand in his or his head in his hand, and he's sitting on the floor and he looks like he's napping and it looks like real life scares the shit out of me. Every time I walk around. I'm like that man's an old glass box.
Speaker 1: No, no, anyway, what's your take on hotel bathroom pro bath or pro shower stall. I've never really thought about it, Bailey anything.
Speaker 2: No, I've never thought about it. I just know that I steal the uh shampoo and conditioner and soap.
Speaker 1: More and more hotels are going to dispensers.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll notice that. Yeah, which, Hey, you know what do what you got to do? It saves money.
Speaker 1: I used to hoard little bars of soap until I realize I've got fifty seven of them and I never use them.
Speaker 2: It's the only so my mom uses is hotel soaps that she's stolen overly gears.
Speaker 1: I mean, why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, next one. Oh that she goes on to say, I'm gonna go ahead and saying a thing, say pro bath. If I want to take a bath, it's available, But I rarely want to sit in a bathtub at a hotel where somebody else was the night before.
Speaker 2: If it's jacuzzi bath, one percent, I'll take a bath.
Speaker 1: Okay. Now, some people would say, like jacuzzie bath in a hotel room. That's disgusting because there's semen and pubic hair in there.
Speaker 2: There, but it's less disgusting than the actual jacuzzie in the hotel. Okay, yeah, yeah, okay, Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: She goes on to say, I am pro bath. I've lately noticed new or recently renovated hotels are replacing their tubs with shower stalls, but part of the stall is either a half wall or super shallow step, so water goes everywhere. And now I'm using the precious limited amount of towels to clean up a mess that would not have been made for a tub. I love how you've overthought this, but I love your experience. And finally, ps Vaunt is great, but I'm so glad you hired a fellow crazy cat lady. I laughed my ass off harder than I should at Bailey's Cat shout Out Day. Here is a picture of my eight percent Asian babies.
Speaker 2: Can't wait. I'm putting on my glasses.
Speaker 1: Okay, because she earlier in the email, and I missed it somewhere and I forget exactly where it was.
Speaker 2: Oh real, babies, I thought she was gonna talk about cats.
Speaker 1: No, they are, and I miss this because, oh, okay, I love the day brings up that he is part Asian occasionally. I'm twenty percent Asian. My husband is Filipino but looks racially ambiguous. So she send pictures of her eight percent Asian babies.
Speaker 2: They're so cute. Are they twins?
Speaker 1: They must be twins there, because they're too close in age not to be twins.
Speaker 2: They're cute babies from what I can see. We're going to send pictures of cats, though, and I was more excited about it.
Speaker 1: I know, Oh, I know my cat. All right, Okay, what else do you want to talk about? Send an email to Ryan Show at katiewb dot com. For some reason, right now, emails are not loading. I don't know if we lost our internet connection or what, but I think we're about the end of the Minnesota goodbye anyway, So thank you for all the emails. We live on your emails. So whatever you want to bring up, I don't care if you want to bring up eight percent Asian babies or cat shout outs or whatever you want to bring up brand new topics something we talked about before. Question that's been bothering you a problem you have, send it in to Ryan Show at KDWB dot com.