Speaker 1: Every door has a key.
Speaker 2: There's a key to every situation. Behind every unopened door, there is a miss.
Speaker 3: And the opening of this door introduces us to another in the series.
Speaker 2: The key, You got the keys? Look, sure here, your old man know you're using a card.
Speaker 4: Night, No rape, he's in next door watching the TV.
Speaker 2: Come on, then let's go. Where are we meet in the rest of the game.
Speaker 5: That line straight near the quarry?
Speaker 4: Hey, take an easy rape.
Speaker 2: You want Pop to hear? Relax, we'll just back. But the drive nice and slow. Sure, hope, Pop don't hear us, That's all he said. I wasn't used to Carlos, I asked him first.
Speaker 6: My old man says that all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh tight, Look, here we go. It's just as when I left the gate open.
Speaker 4: We'd have taken a business.
Speaker 5: You wanna play chicken? Look, you gotta learn to drive real smooth. Don't know why you're wiring anyhow well? Your Pop watches TV.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't hear anything even if the house followed him.
Speaker 4: He sure does go for those thriller stories.
Speaker 6: He watches them all the time.
Speaker 2: Any kind of old driver souped up buggy like this, The.
Speaker 4: Way Pop drives this buggy strictly a slow old oil burner.
Speaker 5: Well, let's see what she can do.
Speaker 2: Look, hey, looks she's sweet. Let's not way do we meet up with the boys? Uh? Us carry see what's coming now? Right? Okay, hold tight first time you play. Chickens are worse after that.
Speaker 4: He put these lights like watching a man hold down his flag.
Speaker 2: Were you go? Look at him? Look just to pare her headlights and his scared stiff. Now let's pull right over. Look at the hitting room. You back down. He's chicken, love keeps chicken. We hit him, looked, let's get out of here fast. The cows turned over him.
Speaker 4: We hit him a pup sake. Wait if we wanted to join the gang.
Speaker 5: Look now you're in.
Speaker 2: Sun you're in a seven? H he know five? Seven? Alight you up? Quick? Hand give me a hand to get him out of there. Come on, po's door, open him.
Speaker 7: But my wife, August, she's boys in the pack too.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, loft him out gently, hand, Yeah, okay, I I got him.
Speaker 7: Just as well as out to what hand.
Speaker 6: To see his wife?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we'd better get them out. Looks like another guy and too much of a hurry to get home. Say you figured there's any hope for the other two. Let's wait for the ambulance. M A doctor can help those two. I'll give you a month's paid over here doctor two of 'em one and boy? What oh yeah?
Speaker 3: Still in the car they get you wanna look at him before we try to move him?
Speaker 2: No chance of fires. He alright, painters, I.
Speaker 6: Guess alright, we look at him afterwards. It yeah, I can see why you didn't move 'em.
Speaker 2: And I say, two stretchers fast. Tell me about doctors done the good doctors good.
Speaker 6: Don't go to the hospital officers, but from live I'll just straight to the morgue.
Speaker 8: You do no matter, okay, shoot gun give him make yees she gets this open head back to that poking game.
Speaker 6: Uh uh see you man?
Speaker 2: Uh huh uh come ahead of a dodt. Yeah right, hell of 'em. I she she's all right, don't and the boy Harold, he just take it easy?
Speaker 1: How okay?
Speaker 2: Well enough to talk? Sure?
Speaker 1: How did that happen?
Speaker 6: It's pretty badly shock cellars.
Speaker 7: The number of players. Chicken, that's what it was. You know, Why the chicken cross the road? Why that chicken you had to get to the other side.
Speaker 2: That's you. You're sure my wife's now, Doc, don't lie to me. Don't don't playing chicken, as that is my wife.
Speaker 7: She eh brought up his sleep.
Speaker 9: Officer put some doct If he can't, don't play him. Could we catch the driver? Could be he's in no condition to talk. Well, what he's got to face. That's better he doesn't do.
Speaker 8: You know what this is, he said, look at his license front in the glove box. Pete Morgan, the racing driver. You know Indianapolis, Napolis.
Speaker 2: Crash, the last man. I had a race that last.
Speaker 6: Barly okay, okay, nicer, it's really shut down. He'll be all right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna be the one to tell him dark.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess so when he wakes up. That's how you get to be real successful in the medical profession. Officer telling guys like Pete Morgan, what's happened to their wife and kid? Better youth than mean to her chicken, that's what he said. Telling him is one road I sure don't want to cross.
Speaker 2: I was sorry, keep you waiting, Morgan. It's a out of trouble with the driver trying to bribe the copper booked him I'm in a hurry of a chance. No, I guess uh my saying I'm sorry about your agree.
Speaker 6: Well, I I don't suppose it helps much.
Speaker 10: Yeah, well I am.
Speaker 3: I asked you to come down to the station house, Morgan for one reason. I mean, all through this statement of yours, and I figured you might want to add to it.
Speaker 2: Such as well. All the traffic Coppo found you claimed you was muttering something about uh.
Speaker 1: Chicken when they pulled you out on a number plate.
Speaker 3: So so this statement of yours doesn't mention that at all.
Speaker 2: Now, I know what's going back over something you'd rather forget. But if you can help us in any way, I'm sorry, Lieutenant.
Speaker 7: I was just delirious at the time. I guess I didn't know what I was saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I supposing you tell me just what happened.
Speaker 2: Once again, car skidded, that's all.
Speaker 3: And you expect me to believe that a racing driver of your experience couldn't control that, That's right. And there was no question in another car being involved, That's right, Lieutenant. If there had been, Morgan, you're giving the driver the chance to play chicken again by covering up for him.
Speaker 7: Well, let it go, Lieutenant, you figure i'd cover up with the guy who killed my wife and boy.
Speaker 2: No, but I can't see. Suppose there had been a fellow coming at me.
Speaker 7: Well, you say, some kid in the hot ride, and I'd been able to get his plight numberable.
Speaker 2: What would happened to him? Hm?
Speaker 3: Well, if we'd pull him in, he'd go up on a traffic homicide charge, and then the jail sentence a stiff one or reform school. Oh that's the theory, but not always the practice, Lieutenant, Listen, Morgan.
Speaker 2: The law can be twisted, Lieutenant, it can be beaten. Yeah, this is just a theory. Then sure worked up about it?
Speaker 7: Listen, Lieutenant, A man who earns is living the way I do, driving fast cars and taking risks on a track always gets wound up about a thing like this game of chicken, and why not?
Speaker 2: The practice ought to be wiped out.
Speaker 7: But because teenagers are the main participants, they get warnings and fine.
Speaker 2: What would you do.
Speaker 6: Me?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a it's a good question, lieutenant. What what would I do? Uh, I'd give it some foot, let you know, and I've got the answer. Do that you want the statement of yours to stand? Yeah? Anything else, Lieutenant, No, thanks for stopping by. Basically any Lieutenant oh o Morgan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on the left hand door of your car, there was a long dan right along the smear of light blue paint.
Speaker 2: It couldn't have happened in the accident as you describe it. Now, how did it happen? I can't remember, Lieutenant. Uh light blue paint? Yeah? Thanks? Hey Morgan?
Speaker 1: Yuh oh, that's who callah A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's leaving now. I keep telling, will you.
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I wanna know.
Speaker 2: Every place he goes? What's that?
Speaker 6: Of course?
Speaker 3: I'm sure and for some reason of his own, Pete Morgan is covering up for the driver.
Speaker 2: That's why I want you to keep following.
Speaker 1: He just might try to handle this himself.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, well s, I gotta tell my pup about this.
Speaker 5: It's a whole month.
Speaker 4: Now it gets worse.
Speaker 2: I keep thinking about them, about that woman. You know, I'm gonna get through it. When this hrcer would look, it's going up pretty you see what it's gonna be.
Speaker 5: How many times have I got to tell you, Luke, we're in the clear. Didn't I get the bent and the car fixed on?
Speaker 11: Here?
Speaker 2: I could have been anything to clients in with what happened. The police would have been a round here to your house, passed the way. I see if we want to blame anyway, it's a beat. Morgan's a racing driver.
Speaker 5: Just should have pulled over quicker and some But ah, are you right?
Speaker 2: It's finished? You ruh? You wanna look ye a racing car? Yeah, that's right, just like the one peat Morgan drive go and y you keep it bit you look? What why? Well? Sort?
Speaker 5: Whenever you feel like talking about what happened that night, you won't not if you've gotten sins caif make maybe it's the police now I'll nebab be your parents back them time.
Speaker 6: They not do to lights.
Speaker 2: Don't answer? Yeah, alright, I'm coming, But what do you want? Mister? Do you mind if I come in? Son? My papa isn't home, mister, just come own white mister.
Speaker 4: I don't think my papa like you bodging in this way.
Speaker 2: But it's my famous Pete Morgan. What seen your picture in the papers? Lots of times? It's Morgan. What do you want to see my papa? Pap mister Morgan?
Speaker 7: The plate number in this current son? You tell me if I'm wrong. But isn't it ot N seven?
Speaker 2: Is that right? Oh? OT nine five seven? I don't remember. Why do you want to know, mister Morgan? You live here too? Me? No, I'm ray for Corbett.
Speaker 10: Me and Luke are just thinking about going down take a look at the ball game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right. So if you could come back later. Maybe where's your pop's car?
Speaker 10: Luke?
Speaker 2: He said, he's out right now. I It isn't any of my business, mister Morgan. But why are you asking all these questions? Is it a light bluesidan? Luke? Yeah, you don't have to answer him, Luke.
Speaker 5: Come on, let's go see.
Speaker 2: That ball game. You carved this, Luke, Mia, I carved it, mister? Why well, it's pretty good.
Speaker 7: Seems funny though you're carving a model of the car I drive.
Speaker 2: Doesn't Maybe you can remember that number plate. I can't even remember my dad's let alone, Lukes. W W Why do you want another number? Mister Morgan? You ever drive your pops car? Luke? Sometimes? You like driving? Sure? I do. Listen, mister Morgan. You drive it at night too? Why not?
Speaker 4: It is the law against it?
Speaker 2: No, none that I know? Were you driving that car at night?
Speaker 7: A month ago, on the twenty third of July. That's a month ago, exactly, Louc.
Speaker 2: You're bet to get out of here.
Speaker 4: Mister Morgan, you haven't any right to be here.
Speaker 7: I'll come down and watch the ball game with you until your pop gets home.
Speaker 2: Look, why do you want to see? Don't you know? You haven't got a thing? And asked mister Thing. You were in that car as well?
Speaker 7: Corbett?
Speaker 2: Is that it? Now? Listen you don't you pull a knife on me?
Speaker 7: Corbettarm Rob, Now sit down and be quiet.
Speaker 2: All right? Which one of you was driving? My poems?
Speaker 4: I wanted to join the gang? Come up something right?
Speaker 2: If I shut up? You're quite a boy, aren't your Corbin? You can't prove a thing. I saw the number plate of the car that forced me off the road. Corbett? Why have you waited all this time? Who was driving? Luke? If you tell him Luke, no need to I know? All right? So it was me? What are you gonna do about it? Hand me over to the police. I could.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you know, mister Morgan, I've been wanting to tell someone to talk about it.
Speaker 2: We didn't mean didn't mean to. Is that all you've got to say, I don't want to hear you talk about it. Luke.
Speaker 7: You're not gonna ease your conscience by telling me how I have felt all this time.
Speaker 4: But it's the only time I ever played Chicken. I haven't ever been in the car since. Every time I look up, I can see what.
Speaker 2: My wife was twenty eight years old, Luke.
Speaker 7: Her name was Helen. Maybe you saw that in the paper. Harold his age. He was husky, is a football player. He just started to talk, but most of the time he still used his own language, which he understood. Mighty well, I take back that one night when you saw me crash to the gym. Yeah, and he didn't even bother to come back and see if you can help. You think you're sniffling now helps?
Speaker 2: Just what are you gonna do? Morgan? Sit here and talk? How old are you? Rafe? You have a name if it's anything too Luke sixteen.
Speaker 7: Lieutenant doves down at the station and asks me what i'd do to a Chicken player?
Speaker 2: I said, then, I didn't know. When I came through that door, I figured I had the answer that was wrong. I was going to use this again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I came here to kill whoever was driving that car.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, I ain't chicken.
Speaker 7: No, no lying back in that chair.
Speaker 2: You're telling yourself you're a big man. I might book a hero. Tough guys shoot up.
Speaker 4: The only guys have played chicken at some time or nothing happened to them.
Speaker 2: Concentrated on killing yourselves. I wouldn't give a nick. Don't do anything, mister Morgan, anything here. It wasn't my fault. It was right from the gang. They all said.
Speaker 7: I was yelling, yeah, get him. Have enough backbone to let the gang call your chicken. Now you want to try and forget the whole thing by unloading the memory of that night, Well, that's why I'm leaving you here, Luke, to wait for the police.
Speaker 2: They don't want to hear you talk. They'll they will want you to repeat.
Speaker 7: It over and over, the whole story until it's set in your mind in a way nothing will ever shift. You weren't driving the car, Luke, so you'll have an easier time in one way.
Speaker 2: I wanted to go back, mister, you.
Speaker 7: Didn't even have the nerve for that.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm leaving you here, Luke, to wait.
Speaker 7: I want you to be able to remember it. All I wanted to keep you awake nights. I want you to see the look in your father's face when they sentence you up.
Speaker 2: You ain't gonna use that, guest, Why don't you put it away?
Speaker 7: I'm not using it right? But you I still haven't found the answer. Than come on get up here, lieutenant.
Speaker 2: God's just right. The law can take care of you.
Speaker 10: Bigger local will still be there in his house when the cuffs come, Morgan.
Speaker 7: If he runs, they'll find him.
Speaker 10: You sure ain't taking any chances, are you?
Speaker 2: You know it wasn't for my hands being tired. I'd jump you, Morgan.
Speaker 7: When God sees you, and he will take that rope off and replace it with handcuffs.
Speaker 2: One thing won't worry me. Then work on.
Speaker 10: My old man's face when the sentence me. I guess he'll be too drunk to hear anywhere. You know something, Morgan, I got a big kick out of driving thes car that night.
Speaker 6: Yet they glift.
Speaker 10: Performs. Go huh, maybe jail. Guess I might get ten years, but I'll be out on parole before.
Speaker 2: You can spit.
Speaker 7: If you want to get down to that precinct station in one Peace Corps. But just stop talking.
Speaker 2: I ain't scarning you. No Logan's talking, is he? You know? Maybe I'll stand up and court and say I'm sorry, it's all a mistaken.
Speaker 10: Could be.
Speaker 2: I'll cry a little, poor misunderstood teenager. You're a murderer rape as surely as I could pull the trigger. How are you gonna prove that all I need is a mouth piece like the ane? Shut up? Shut up, shut up? You know they told me the forms go pretty swell these days. Get me away from my own man.
Speaker 5: Anyhow, Maybe I'll get to learn a trade, and then a couple of years i'll be out.
Speaker 2: Morgan. I won't help you any I won't what won't finish what you were gonna say? Rafe? You mean about not helping you any Oh?
Speaker 5: Sure I'll be looking help Morgan, might even toil you a couple of times, but that won't bring back your wife and kid.
Speaker 2: Get out of the car, raf what l right like this?
Speaker 7: You don't need your hands untied to run. There's a sheer drop on one side of the road, Rafe, and steep bank and the other. Listen what you got The kind of brute stupidity that shouldn't be allowed to live.
Speaker 2: Rafe not even a reform school.
Speaker 7: What happened to my wife and son could happen again. While you can think and feel and drive a car. Let's said, get out, let's start running, Ray, Let's play my.
Speaker 2: God, start running? You are you won't see me?
Speaker 4: Pat Morgan, I ain't afraid.
Speaker 2: Of you, all right? I wonder m.
Speaker 11: No, no Morgan, No no, no.
Speaker 2: Lieutenant Dad speaking. It's Callahan, Lute. What is it? I lost? How I guess he gotten down that I was tailing him? Listen, Callahan. If my hunch about Morgan is right, he's dangerous. Now pick up his trailer. Shut that door with you. It's all right.
Speaker 1: Callahan is here. Beat Morgan, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Still about the door shut? Will tell him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mine, if I said down, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 7: Remember the question you asked me, Lieutenant, about what I'd do to a chicken player? Yeah, I found the answer.
Speaker 2: A closing door finishes a story.
Speaker 1: Next week, another key will open another door to another story.
Speaker 2: Mister, romance or adventure all start when a door is unlocked by
Speaker 1: The keys.