Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: We're in the Dodger Clubhouse right now in the High Rent district. Whenever you're next to Blake Trinon's locker you know it's High Rent district. And we're joined right now by the man Whiskey Sour Sweden Sour, Matt Sour. Thanks a lot for.
Speaker 1: The time, Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: So what is it like being the locker mates with Blake Trnon? You know, he has a lot of rules, he wants, he wants a lot of structure. So what's it like.
Speaker 1: It's awesome. But Blake's man, obviously having a sender right next to a vet is always good. And get to pick his mind and see how he goes about his day every day.
Speaker 2: Don't be concerned. He's playing that little Finger soccer game over there. He can't hear what you're gonna say. So full disclosure here about Blake Trinon as a locker mate, because as you could see, the gloves perfectly placed, the hats perfectly placed, while yours same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah No, I mean I'd say we got a pretty clean corner over here. I'm not gonna bad man his side. Neither of us crossed the center line, so we're doing good.
Speaker 2: Is there a delineation here? I mean, we all want to know the dynamics of being this close to another teammate. What is the line here?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think his line goes a little onto my side, but he's over on his side.
Speaker 2: So you feel like he can encroach on your side of the locker. But because of him being the decorated reliever and veteran that he is, you know, you have to respect the wall. So you're kind of hugging the wall.
Speaker 1: That's okay.
Speaker 2: Matt Sour is our guest. What a ride it's been for you since the beginning of spring training. Have you been able to take inventory of where you started and how much the Dodgers have relied upon you early on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For sure. I mean obviously signed here because I thought the pitching development was, you know, the top of the top, and you know, I think it's shown in the brief stint that I've been up here so far, and I think just within the last you know, three months of being with this Horde, my pitching has gone to away new heights and I really enjoy being here.
Speaker 2: You developed a cut fastball. Where did you start to develop that cut fastball?
Speaker 1: It was actually Ryan Dennick down during spring training came up with the idea because I already h I mean, my fourth seam, I already cut a little bit. So he said, why don't we just lean into you know, actually cutting it, throwing a cutter with it, and the first a through it in a bullpen. I was like, yeah, I love this pitch and just took off from there. It was a real easy pitch for me to learn and just been writing it.
Speaker 2: A lot of right handers use that pitch to be effective against lefties? Is that the thought behind yours?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Throughout my whole career, I've always been, you know, good splits against rieties. I'm always had a little more issues getting lefties out. So I think this cutter has opened up where, you know, I can get both sides of the plate out with these.
Speaker 2: Matt Sour is our guest. Can you tell us and explain the life of a pitcher like Matt Sour where you're not Clayton Kershaw, You're not Blake Snell. The Dodgers use your versatility. How do you adapt so well?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, you know, I once I got called up. I kind of understood that I'd be more of like a Swiss army guy here, you know, might make some spot starts, do some long relief appearances. But you know, whatever opportunities to give to me, I love pitching into him. I just want the ball, and whatever opportunity that is, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: So you've this year been able to record your first major league win in your first major league save. Did you ever believe that would happen? Yeah, I mean I hope so I always win, yes, but not the same.
Speaker 1: The save was a little surprising. It was honestly immediately after the game. I didn't even realize it because you know, I came in and it was at the sixth inning. Came in the sixth and get through and finish the game out, and then they all congratulated after the game, and I was like a little confused, like, wait, did I really get the save there? But yeah, so it was awesome.
Speaker 2: I remember being on the field with you and James Outman. Were you concerned that he was going to throw the ball into the stands.
Speaker 1: No, I never was concerned. I saw him catch the ball and spin straight in and he put a right in my glove as soon as he got to the dugout, so it was all good.
Speaker 2: Hey, you can never put anything by out man. The other day I had to remind him it was his birthday.
Speaker 1: That sounds about right, that's funny.
Speaker 2: Matt sour is our guest just in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks. Pretty tough lineup over there, Matt. What did you learn from that four game series in the desert?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I got to, you know, watch. It's kind of cool the situation where I'm in because I'll watch the starters and see how they can get through a lineup more than one time, and then also getting to pick the reliever's brains where if I do go in for you know, one or two innings, I gotta be able to come in and throw my best stuff immediately and get out immediately. So I get to watch a little more of both sides of the pitching aspect of it, understanding that for when I come into games, I need to be efficient. So watch the starters a little bit what they're doing in the lineup where they're trying to throw guys, and then you know, relievers you might need a big strikeout in this situation. So you know, talking to borrow Bart always gets us ready as soon as we get into the game. You know, he always got us right. So yeah, it's been great.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I wonder if being a reliever coming out of the bullpens certain games has helped you throw more strikes as a starter because of what you said, it's so important to throw strikes and be aggressive early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I mean as a reliever, always you're coming into the game, you gotta get out immediately, so you start with strike one. And so far this year, I mean, I feel like I've been pretty good at pounding the zone. And once you get strike one, then you're in a picture advantage count and then you can go from there.
Speaker 2: Hey, you never know, we might see Matt sour tonight.
Speaker 1: Never know, never know.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time we got out of this clean Tryina never came to his locker.
Speaker 1: He did it. We're all good. We're safe over here.
Speaker 2: Thanks Matt.
Speaker 1: Thank you,