Speaker 1: Hey, what's going on? Welcome to Cleave to Antiquity Today. I'm joined by the one, the only, Jayder what's going on? Brother?
Speaker 2: Hey? Do what's up? Glad to be chatting again. We had a good zoom call well back, and I'm glad to reconnect. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I've been excited for this one. I think this will be cool. So for those that are tuning in, kind of what I've been doing lately since I made the announcement I'm seeking an enter into the Orthodox Church is I've been inviting guests on to do a Q and A. So we'll be doing that this live stream. So the way this is going to work for y'all, if you want to ask a question, put a queue in front of your question in the chat. I will start it. I'll be pulling them up in the order that they're received. Jay. If there's one you don't want to mess with, let me know when I'll skip past that one. And then also if you want to skip the line, you can send in a super chat. I'll pull those up first just as a thank you for supporting the stream, but go ahead and start sending those in. Put a queue in front of your question. If you don't put a queue. I'm not going to see it. I'm not gonna be able to start, So I'll go ahead and I'll start diving into this first one. Super chat, Jay, unmute dude. All right, let's see here's a question that.
Speaker 2: I could unmute myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does the church teach about regular Orthodox Christians having a having spiritual experiences with God like the monks? Is that just reserved for monks? No?
Speaker 2: I think if you look at Saint Simmy and the New Theologian, the whole story of that is that he was combating what was called a form of massallionism, which is the idea that really only some tiny spiritual elite have access to the kind of grace that is offered in terms of seeing the divine light and so forth, and he was thrown out of his monastery. Has he had a really wild experience over all that, but he ended up being vindicated because all the grace is present in the sacraments are there for the potential for everybody having that experience.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. All right, let me see this next one here. Thanks for the superchat. Let's see, and thank you for the super chat. I appreciate it, all right, let's look at the inquirer questions here. Question inquirer, can you hold to annihilationism in Eachian orthodoxy? And what exactly is the doctrine of hell in Easian orthodoxy?
Speaker 2: Annihilationism is not possible because we believe that Christ assumed universal human nature in a single divine hypostasis. So what that means is that the only basis for everybody being resurrected is the death or own resurrection of Christ. So all men are going to be resurrected universally, the same way that the scope of Adam's fall is universal. So first green Is fifteen makes the scope of both universal. But that is mean we're all saved, because our own individual existential experience of the esk will be contingent upon how we recapitulate it or fail to recapitulate the virtues. So the river of fire, that is the torment of the wicked, is the state that they put themselves in to be actually negatively experiencing or ever ill being. As sat Maximus says, the same divine energy is the same divine fire that purges and deifies the righteous. So the righteous, because of thiosis, experience ever well being, and the wicked because of their choice of vice experiences ever ill being. So there's no possibility in that scheme of annihilationism, because everybody has an eternal nature that's given to them through the work of Christ. So also I think that helps explain the difference between the Orthodox view and the Latin view or the typical Protestant view of the escaton.
Speaker 1: Awesome templar five dollars shears. Guys, Hey, this is this was an Anglican gentleman that just decided to become Orthodox. So he's entering into his Uh, he just became a catechumen. Actually, so good to see you man. Hey, j great work you're doing. What do you think about the New American Orthodox film? It's available free for parishes to screen.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about it. Do you know about it? You can tell me about it. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: If you want to. If you want to clarify, man, send a clarification question and or just some some additional contexts. Oh yeah, do you wanna Do you want to plug the conference that's coming up in November?
Speaker 2: Sure? Yeah, it was a number twenty to twenty. First is our Orthodox conference in Home Coast. It's a two day conference with me, Father Vladimir, my priest Kadanov, father Diagan, doctor Narnias met Boalt and Jonah, doctor David Patrick Carey, a couple other friends of Father Vladimir's. I think we'll also have some smaller vignettes and things that they want to touch on. There's a book that's coming out by a priest that's a friend of Father Vladimir's that will be translated into English, so he'll have a little message there. And you can get the tickets at my website or on my profile or anybody else's profiles that are involved. Two days and yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun. I know you're going to be there, and Christian Mario is going to be there, Luigi is going to be there. Basically all everybody but Bowser Yoshi, all of the Mario world will be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They were saying that in that picture that we took together. They were like, oh, you're Yoshi. Now, I don't want to be Yoshi.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, you don't Bowser Yoshi Warrio, like I don't know who you want to you could do, like if you put a hat on you could kind of be a Warrio character there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I think there is already like an Orthodox Warrio on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Really, you're right, I forgot about that. You could be Princess Peach. It's over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd rather I'd rather delete all of my social media than become Peach. All right, let's see here, all right? So, yeah, attend that attend that conference if y'all, If y'all are in the Florida in Florida, go and attend that conference. A lot of people are gonna be there, basically, all of all of Ortho Twitter. Basically, it will be the place to be, all right, Cookie Destroyer says, who's the next Protestant YouTuber to take the Orthop pill in cleeve? Have you taken down your non to non church on redeem Zoomer's Minecraft server and built an Orthodox one. I was never on that thing. I will say this, though I was on. I was on his discord server. I got banned twice for for debating. So but I like I like I like redem Zoomer. He's a he's a he's a nice guy.
Speaker 2: Who's neck.
Speaker 1: Would who would be your who would you be your bet for the next Protestant tuber.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. Who's to even like open to other possibilities like that. There's probably quite a few Anglican you know, YouTubers or Lutheran YouTubers that are probably unhappy with Protestantism that I'm it's not even aware of. So I understand honestly have no idea because I don't I mean outside of you and maybe a couple of other people, Like I haven't really interacted with a whole lot of you know, Adamant Protestant YouTubers. I mean, it's you redeem Zoomer like that's it's about the only two that come to mind, like within the last year and a half.
Speaker 1: So yeah, maybe I've got I've got some ideas, but I don't really want to say those live.
Speaker 2: Okay, there might be somebody you would know about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's that's that's about it. I mean, I I would say I'll say this, I think in the you know, I'm I'm still friends with a lot of the Protestant guys, you know, those that those that still speak to me after this. Some of some of them are like, oh, you're like a different You're you're basically like, you know, an alien now or something. Yeah, but uh, to the guys that I still I still speak to, I think my spending my time in that camp, you realize that the ground is a lot shakier and the people's confidence in their own positions are a lot shakier than they put on online. Which was kind of why I filled that space on YouTube, was because a lot of these guys won't won't do debates for that specific reason. They don't they're not confident enough in their own positions. They don't want to have their world view shaken like that. So the the guys that are mean.
Speaker 2: Same in the room calt world too, man. I mean, I know several Roman Catholics who have kind of confided to me that what they're putting forward isn't the real position. Like I'm not saying that they don't believe Catholicism, but they're a lot less confident versus what they're kind of putting forward. But I'm not going to say who that is.
Speaker 1: But yeah, right right, yeah, keep them keep them in prayer for sure, hij I'm having trouble with KESSI castidy prayer. My mind wanders constantly, any tips.
Speaker 2: So this is something that you should just take up with your spiritual father, because that's I have the same difficulty, and I usually I think in the Orthodox world, we don't really try to get people to practice in that way until they're pretty advanced. So I wouldn't worry about that right now unless you're very advanced. And if you're very advanced, I'm not the person that you should ask about. So take that up with your spiritual father. But yeah, I think a lot of the things that kind of attend that kind of prayer are the things that people get all caught up on, right, like bodily posture or something like that, And none of that stuff is essential to Orthodox prayer, so I wouldn't get too caught up in that stuff. But somebody had an interesting point, which was that a lot of times people like in the middle of the liturgy, like I saw, have a tendency to close my eyes. And then I know, because that's kind of a Protestant thing when you're praying, like you close your eyes, and that's not always wrong, because you know, you have in the liturgy value your heads and so forth, but it sometimes helps to focus on the icons to actually not be distracted because if I close my eyes, I start my mind starts wondering. So if you get in the habit maybe of not closing your eyes, but I mean that's that's up to you and your spiritual father. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting, my uh my daughter, she's nine, and she's always prayed with her eyes open. So we when we started going to the orthox Or, She's unlike, I'm like, hey, these people pray with their eyes open, just like you. She's like, whoa, this is like my church.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm still not even used to it, even after being orgone for a while, Like, I'm still like it. This is the Protestant mindset, I guess. So, I mean I was Roman Catholic, and I guess when I was Catholic, I would still you know, well, they have imaginative prayer, which when I'm Orthodox, I'm not doing imaginative prayer. But your mind does still have a tendency to wander. So I definitely feel that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see here, what is the relationship of culture to Orthodoxy. How are cultural expressions and their incumbent industries sanctified, Oh, movies, music, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I don't think it differs too much from the attitude that most serious Roman Catholics or Protestants have, except that I think Orthodoxy is done a better job of maintaining the distinction between the sacred and the secular. So, you know, like in the Protestant world, you have this idea of, oh, we got to come up with like Christian rock and roll. This sounds just like Coldplay or just like you two. I an Orthodox, you don't really have to do that. There's no necessity to water down and kind of push the theology into the secular sphere because really there's not a secular sphere. I mean, everything is kind of in the domain of the kingdom, the basilaeis or whatever. So maybe it's less challenging. But I think you know, the history of the Orthodox world overlaps with the Latin Church of verse thousand years, so you've got a lot of esthetics, artwork, et cetera that has to be made within the confines of virtue. I think in the Protestant world you have this attitude that everything has to be explicitly kind of like Jesus, Jesus, Jesus worship service, worship service, And it doesn't have to be that way because the virtues themselves are kind of necessarily connected to God. So if you have a film that's not explicitly Christian, but it's still promoting virtue, it's that's fine, that's good. You don't not everything has to be explicitly a worship service, because the liturgy is the worship service, So you don't have to constantly like make everything diluted, like I think it's sort of evangelical rock and roll. Does you know think about Dustievsky, right, he wrote philosophical, psychological novels that are breathe. They breathe the Orthodox wild view, but they're not all about Orthodoxy per se. You know, you have some characters or whatever, but you know, Crime and Punishment has redemption, it has virtue, but it's not it's not in your face necessarily.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I mean, honestly, that's part of my I guess conversion story was reading a brother's chromosome, you know, and seeing some of the themes there kind of woven there. Shortly after that I did read Crime and Punishment. I like the I actually like Crime and Punishment a lot better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like Crime Crime Pashment a lot. Yeah, it's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a. It's a more fluid fluid read. I feel like I had to to try to pay attention more in Brother's Chromozol. Maybe that's just my brain. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I read Crime and Punishment pretty quick, like I had a grad class on it, and I read it like within a few days. Yeah, but then I found and I'm still not finished Brother's kramatso because it's very difficult read. So yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a look at this one inquirer questions can a male have a female patron saint? Also? Can you have more than one patron saint? Thanks God bless.
Speaker 2: I don't even know that, but my first thought would be no, I've never even heard of anybody think about that.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't think it's an interesting question.
Speaker 2: And more than one saint. I think in the Serbian tradition you have patron saints for families. Uh, but that might be unique to the Serbs. But that's the only case I've heard of having more than one patron saint. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I was gonna say about that, like making the mew, you were talking about making the music kind of Jesus or whatever. Well, if I if I don't make my gospel rock band, how am I going to get the CIA dollars? Man?
Speaker 2: How's it gonna happen? Yeah? Right? Well the other thing too, is I forget who said this. Somebody said this, maybe at a conference a few years ago. But it's like, if you think about it, the if you're in the Protestant world, the music, the worship is all Jesus, Jesus Jesus. If you're in the Charismatic world, it's holy Spirit, Holy Spirit, Holy Spirit. Right, But it's like, why why not just be trinitarian? Right? Like, and the Orthodox Liturgy is super super trinitarian. So I think those shortcomings kind of come through in those points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nobody says y'all got to do a tag team on Mormonism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm open to that. I didn't know. Have you spent a good bit of time interacting with the Mormons.
Speaker 1: I probably wouldn't be the guy man. That might be more Jim Bob's specialty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim Bob and I've done a few you know, Mormons dreams and whatnot. So, but yeah, anybody who wants to, we can do a tag team on Islam or Mormon or anything like that. I'm always down for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, Mormond.
Speaker 2: It seems to be really popping off lately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Mormonism debates have been coming back into the It seems like apologetics takes a like a cycle. There's like a schedule of what gets popular. Every now and then Vatican two will pop up, or like it'll be uh, you know, oh, now it's papal supremacy. Now we're gonna talk about this, or oh we're gonna talk about you know whatever.
Speaker 2: But even aside from the topics, it seems like the Mormons have done a big push, like in terms of like ads and propaganda in the last few years to kind of really make Mormonism this, you know, topic of discussion, I think on purpose.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I can see that. I've seen a lot of Again, all the ads always has like a hot chick.
Speaker 2: On front exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Become Mormon. You know, you're gonna get You're gonna get a girlfriend finally, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean we had that recent pretty good in Hollywood movie with the Hugh Grant Heretic. Did you see Heretic? No?
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: You should watch It's pretty good movie, and that the two lead carearacters are you know, Mormon missionaries.
Speaker 1: So that's pretty wild interesting. Yeah, that's weird. I'll have to check that out, all right, cap uh cab Bob the Great, Can you guys explain the origin of the doctrine of Mary's ever virginity and sinless life? Why isn't it present in Protestantism?
Speaker 2: It was present in early luther and Calvin Uh, I mean, early Protestantism did have it. So I think the further you get away from you know, the Magisterial Reformation or the Classical Reformation, the more you get into radical Reformation, which seems like today's Protestant world and Evangelical world is pretty much Radical Reformation dominant, whether it's charismaticism or whether it's kind of these you know, anti state tendencies or anti Old Testament tendencies of the Campbell Lights.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: It seems like Classical Reformation theology is pretty restricted to some Presbyterians and Lutherans here and there, and that's about it. So the origin of it, I think is more of a typological approach. If you read, for example, Ezekiel forty four, that temple, that mysterious temple that when I was a Protestant, I can never really forget what that's about. But in the Orthodox view, we think that's also a type not just of the church, but a merit. And so there's a specific text that says that the prince exits through a door and the door remains shut. It's never opened, it's always sealed. So that is the entrance of Messiah, the Prince of Daniel nine, into this world, and yet the door by which he came remains ever virgin. So that's one basis. But also I think being the New Eve all the typology of Psalm forty five. I have a whole video, by the way, Protestants are interested on where I go through all the biblical typology of Mary, and although it's not explicitly about of a virginity, I think the conclusion logically is that, well, she would have been also preserved to be the new Eve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've done a video that's something along the lines of every Reformer held to the perpetual virginity. If you want to check that out. I go into detail on that. That was when I was a Protestant. People got mad at that they were saying. They were saying I was a Jesuit spy because I held the perpetual virginities.
Speaker 2: We'll get used to it because you're it's only going to increase. Like I've been hearing that crazy stuff for a long time, so.
Speaker 1: It's it's hilarious.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I kind of I kind of like that. I don't know, I think that's funny.
Speaker 2: Like you'll be Masade, you'll be KGB, you'll be a you'll be Jesuit. Like you're working for all of them.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there you go all at once. Last, I'm a KGB sorcerer.
Speaker 2: You got me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there he goes KGB sorcerer. What's funny is the guy that said that he did a video after my like announcement video where he he took my thumbnail with like the big redhead and like stretched out my neck and put it on like a cassock. It's actually hilarious. I was like, Okay, that's actually pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember, uh I did. I interviewed Dugan like ten years ago and it was just like an hour long podcast and I talked about a couple of his books. And then ever since then, like they've like all these people, a lot of Roman Catholics have insisted that I'm a KGB operative. It's still stupid because it's like, it doesn't matter how many times I explain that I disagree with Dugan's gnosticism. It's like, no, but you interviewed him. So the only way you could have interviewed him is if you're working with him. Like it's just kind of crazy, Like even if I say where I disagree, doesn't mean I'm working with him.
Speaker 1: That was like guys were saying, how much did how much did.
Speaker 2: Jay pay you to convert?
Speaker 1: I said, I got paid in dugan coin.
Speaker 2: You got you got one full dougan coin, which translations to the twenty five bitcoin, So there.
Speaker 1: You go, very nice, all right. How should I speak to those who think it's a cult? I think they were talking about orthodoxy.
Speaker 2: I mean, one thing I've learned about this kind of stuff is how you speak to the person depends upon that person. So you know, it really depends on who that person is in your life. If you're talking about your parents, don't approach them in the same way that you would your brother, or you know, your comrades at work or whatever. Because people that are your equals, you can speak to them in a more forthright, sardonic way. If it's your parents, be more respectful, don't debate with them, let them see a change in your life. You will never convince your parents through argumentation. They're only going to be convinced when they see you, first of all, having like you know, a solid life, wife, kids, et cetera. Then they might listen to you. They're not going to listen to you when you're still living at home and you don't have a job and you're over here debating theology. I know because I did that. I made the mistake when I was young, so you know, I would say it could be you know, if it's if it's somebody who's your equal, you could kind of question them about, well, what do you think a cult is? Because if it's a broad definition, then any religion could be a cult. You could say the papacy's a cult if you have to follow the papacy, right, is that a cult? Is every religion a cult? Or is it specifically like you only have to follow a single leader, which Orthodoxy is very decentralized, so it's kind of anti cult.
Speaker 1: I would say, yeah, absolutely. And this is something that comes up quite a bit, like how do I ask my family, or how do I talk to my family or convince them of orthodox or my spouse. That sucks when that comes up, because I've gotten a lot of I've got a lot of emails, a lot of d ms and stuff from Protestants that are talking about, oh, I want to become Orthodox or you know, et cetera. I'm like, well, first off, you know, go ask a priest. I'm just a guy on the internet, or like, you know, ask somebody who has been in it for a while. But so the stuff that I get a lot will be something along the lines of I'm convinced my wife's not convinced, or I'm convinced my parents aren't convinced, or like, maybe my parents are going to disown me if I become Orthodox because they're like jimbab evangelical types. The answer and I just posted a video with an author earlier today talking about this exact topic. So if you want to go look at that, it's kind of like some quick run through tips of what you can do if you're in any of those situations there, So that might be helpful. There, he says, do you hear Ibara telling me leaving? I guess Rome would be easy. No, I didn't see that.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming that's what our means. No, Lura told you that leaving Rome would be easy. I don't know what that means, but I mean, it's not hard to leave Rome. I did it. Yeah, you just leave like you don't have to like send in a letter to the Pope and like you know, I want Leo Leo. You need to sign off on me like no longer being a member anymore. I'm not gonna tie like you just I don't care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Plank some pieces is a recent convert to Orthodoxy. You posted a video about this little while ago. Could you give me some insight on the contra around depicting the Father or ancient of days and what positions should we hold on this? Have seen people argue both since coming to Orthodoxy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the best book on this is Volume two of the Theology the icon by Loski and Alspensky, And there's about three chapters in the In the later part of that book, I mean, the first few chapter is really good about palam aus and icons and how you really can't divorce the energy's doctrine from iconography. Uh, those are really strong chapters and there there's actually quite a bit of probably apologetic meat that we could get from that we haven't even really dived into yet. But after that comes several chapters talking about the God the Father issue. And although the Moscow icon synodes aren't dogmatic per se, they still have a lot of influence and they still have a lot of good points, and they do make the allowance for you know, the Ancient of Day's icon. But even in the Ancient of Day's icon, really it's Christ as the only image of God the Father. So if you notice that image, Christ has kind of the appearance of an older Christ, but that matches with what you read in Ezekiel and Revelation one and two, where when He appears, he appears as a whiteheaded, you know, kind of glistening, shining person. His appearances like you know, bronze and gold and all this, So that I think is the only via the Moscow Icons in a sort of approved image. Now, people have not always followed this, or they've not always necessarily even known this. So you do have a lot of architects and artists who have built churches and they kind of put you know, the Roman Catholicish influenced God the Father up there in a triangle or something like that. So even though it's technically not canonical, I don't think it's the end of the world. We don't have to be spergs about it. But ultimately it's not really canonical, and ultimately it should probably just be the allowance for the ancient of day is maybe a couple other examples. And the other reason for this is not just to be persnickety and annoying about it. It's because if you read that Lawsky Ospenskey book, they talk about how the Jesuits it actually designed certain icons to use philly oquay, and so they would push those icons in Russian areas, especially in places like Kiev, and it was actually duping a lot of the peasants to adopt not even philly okuad but like really weird theology, right, because sometimes it's almost like you have God the Father as an old man sitting next to Jesus and then they're sending the Holy Spirit. So some of these heterdox icons have names, like it was one called the New Testament icon or something like that, but they're known sort of Jesuit syops that I mean, I'm being serious. If you read the book I talk about it to really kind of sway them towards Romanism. And Rome never really adopted the theology of the Seventh Council. They they believe it in name, but all the theology behind it, the canon and then the eight forty three triumph of Orthodoxy. They don't care anything about that unless they're uniate. But who cares what units it?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So Rome doesn't see icons as bound up with the theology, because if they did, they would believe in the energies, because the energies are really essential to iconography. But uh, yeah, so that's that's uh. I think that because I struggle with that issue at one point too, because there are some places where you can have, for example, this it's the same principle with the Holy Spirit. You can't portray the hypostasis of the Holy Spirit because he's never incarnate, and we only portray really what's incarnate in the sense of the Son. But there are a few instances where you have what's called energetic manifestations of the Spirit, and that's dove and tongues of fire. Right, that's it. You could say there's an ergect manifestation perhaps of the voice of the Father, so it's like, you know, this my beloved son. So that's obviously an inerject manifestation proper to the Father. Even though every action is triadics, still there are unique roles in that way. So I think that's the solution to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you see you're talking about the Roman Catholics not really holding to Nicia too. Yeah, I've noticed that quite a bit. I mean, if you were to look at there's a guy out there, Kevin since thirty three AD. He posted on x not that long ago saying that icon veneration was not Apostolic, it was like an innovation later on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't believe they concede this to Protestants because you know, this is what Ibarro has been arguing for years. He would say, my argument against Orthodoxy is that the Seventh Council is a development. But apparently Eric didn't read the actual Council because it says this is not a development. This goes back to the Apostolic period again, sort of based on the principle of the notion that matter can be you know, sanctified relics or there you've got real presence. So that kind of necessarily leads to the iconography that comes out of the temple iconography.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, absolutely, I think I think it's a silly it's a silly argument. But you said this in one of your previous streams. It is kind of like a coal to the magisterium, right, like sacrifice the other doctrines just to prop up the one. And in this case it would be uh doctrinal development, which is a big deal for them now, especially since Newman's a doctor now.
Speaker 2: So exactly, and that's exactly what Ruslan and Michael Knowles were just chatting about. Right, So this tubby came up and Rouselan said, I figured how you phrased it with something like I appreciate the romancalolic doctrinal development. I'm like, but what's what's to appreciate it? But that's a double edged sword. And I can say this as a who was a former trad because a lot of the trads think and I thought this at one time too, It's like, well, the papacy will protect us from the developments because you can have this nailed down, solidified statement that's unchanging. Right. Doesn't that seem like it would solve a lot of these problems of when a new issue arises. But the problem is that if the papacy is not true, then what happens is you've got this Saint Justin Papovitch said a kind of a European humanist institution of man in his primary position. And then if the papers he can evolve. There's no necessity to it evolving in a traditional way. It can evolve in a progressive liberal way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we see that today exactly. All right, what are your guys, This is a weird question. What do you guys favorite fragrance? Fragrances? So what's your what's your cologne choice? They want to they want to cocken nineties.
Speaker 2: I used to love coloonna I wore Ralph Lauren, Polo Sport I wore. I remember one time when I was like in eighth grade, I went to about my first bottle of cologne. It was Dr card Noir, and I was at a football game and I was about to mac on these chicks and I spilled the whole bottle on my pants. So I like the whole stadium like cleared out because it was all was it?
Speaker 1: Is it like musky? That?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like the most musky? Yeah, Card Noir I was like the classic like eighties and nineties, like I don't know, like like a like a swarthy European pimp would wear anyway. But I liked raf Lauren Polo sport back in the day. I like the cool water back in the nineties. Those are those are popular, but a lot of those are toxic. Yeah, I don't really I don't really wear those anymore, and I have allergies. So I just smell like a dude.
Speaker 1: I use I use a Calvin Klein Shock. That's my that's my go to cologne right there, or guess blue whatever my wife buys me. That's all. Yeah, I just say, look for cologne that's blue. It all just about smells the same. It seems like, Yeah, I like the blue smell. Yeah, exactly, very the blue flavored colone. How does uh, how does Eastern Orthodox view the all I don't even know what this is? All of it discourse.
Speaker 2: Oh that's Matthew twenty four and Luke twenty one. Right, So I'm glad. You'm glad you asked that because I just posted on Twitter one of my old talks about uh, pred ad the beasts and all that. So, yeah, most of the Eastern Church fathers, whether it's Saint Cyril, Halthanasius, Saint John Christism in his commentary on Matthew twenty four. We believe in a partial preadorist view is very important to making sense of the New Testament, that there was a coming in judgment in seventy eight D. That particularly Luke twenty one is really clear about this, and it's written for a gentle audience, so you can kind of see clearly that it's talking about a first century judgment upon Israel. And although we don't have like an official patristic you know, dogmatic statement on like what the Book of Revelation is about, I've never I've never not been convinced still of the gentry bonds and you know David Chilton Days of Vengeance position that the Book of Revelation is in its historical context about seventy Nero is the Beast, but there is a future fulfillment that kind of mirrors those things too. So you can find a lot of those videos on my channel. I don't want to ramble too much about into the world, but just well, probably the most clear references that in Luke twenty one, Jesus says there are some of you standing here who will not die. You will see Jerusalem surrounded by enemies. You will see it raised to the ground. And he says, don't try to flee on the sabbath, or pray that it's you don't have to flee on the Sabbath. Well, that's not relevant to us post seventy eight D or after the Book of Hebrews is written. We're not sitting around worrying about traveling on the Sabbath. So it has to be relevant to the immediate hearers of Jesus' message. And I have a I wrote a grad paper on this about seventy a d. And Josephus's eyewitness account of the destruction of Jerusalem. So I think that partial preadterism is one of percent true men. Most of the Eastern fathers agree.
Speaker 1: There was a who's that Protestant guy? The conservative he've retweeted your your posts on that.
Speaker 2: I have to Oh, yeah, I'm not super super familiar with this guy. Nope. Father Moses kind of asked him, challenged him on some things.
Speaker 1: But Joel or whatever, Oh yeah, Joel web that might be interesting to have a chat with with him. He's kind of like popping off right now.
Speaker 2: I think he did reply a while back somebody said, do you want to have a debate or discussion, because remember they did that podcast about orthodoxy maybe six months ago, and I think somebody asked him and he was like, I'm not really confident to debate or he said something like that, but yeah, I'm always open. I'm always open to chatting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean you guys both agree on that, so that might be a good Uh. I don't know something interesting. Uh film Lincoln trailer is American orthodox film dot com. Okay, cool, thanks for thanks for letting me know. Man, I'll have to check that out later. I haven't I haven't seen anything about it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Lots of people are talking about the Folks publication book that spends a long time discussing your article about analogy. Any plan on doing a response?
Speaker 2: Lots of people? Yeah, I mean that following. That's a guy who started his own publishing out of his own basement, and I think he has like a handful of followers. So I don't think there's a lot of people, I mean can simply address the issues themselves. That Romanites is a open nominalist. It's really not possible to have a Christological approach where Christ assumes universal human nature. If you're a nominalist, how could you believe in universe human nature being assumed if you're a radical nominalist. I mean there's many other mistakes as well. I think Romanites is a he's a controversial, conflicted figure, but I mean that's one of the biggest problems. I mean, the Cappadocians use analogia all the time, so it would be fundamentally opposed to Capitocian theology to say that there is no analogia, and that, as Rumani says, all he says, all the sickness of religion is based on analogy or analogia. I just think that's preposterous.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a look at this one. A lot of Protestants like Gavin Ortland are really leveraging ecclesiological anxiety. I guess he calls he calls it acclesial anxiety against inquirers. Feels like emotional blackmail. I mean I can kind of speak to that, if that's all right.
Speaker 2: Go ahead. I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, Gavin, Gavin's a friend of mine. He was actually one of the He was actually one of the only Protestants that were kind of cool after I, uh, after I made the announcement. So I don't want to be rude to him or anything, but to be fair to his brand, his brand is very You have these claims, these exclusivity claims are Roman Catholics and Eastian orthodox make right. So that causes people anxiety. His brand serves to ease that anxiety. They call that ecclesial anxiety. Oh yeah, I mean I would I would agree a lot of the Protestants do have this anxiety. I was never really one of them. The exclusivity claims it was either true or it wasn't. You know what I mean, The Orthodoxy was ever either true or it wasn't. So it really had nothing for me to do with anxiety. But I will say one of the ways that I had gotten kind of in contact with him for networking was I used to run a discord server back in the day called the Scripture Alone Discord. It was the largest Protestant discord back then. It's probably not anymore, but back then when I helped run it, I had reached out to Gavin. He had done some events with me, I joined his server, and his server was for people with ecclesial anxiety. So it was like the whole brand is to kind of we're going to present arguments that you can kind of, in my opinion looking back at it now, is more like, so you can compartmentalize this information because we're gonna cast just a little bit of doubt on this particular claim, this particular claim just enough to kind of stall your decision into moving into one of these traditions, whether it's Roman hoolicism or orthox, which is why you'll see in the videos. In my opinion, it's always like very minor objections. It's like, okay, well here's a very specific, nuanced claim about icon veneration. I'm going to attack this very specific argument. So that way, if you know objections are brought from maybe an earlier date or another icon or whatever, I can say, well, that wasn't what I was addressing in the video. I'm just addressing this thing to debunk this one argument that's causing people anxiety. So that's kind of the brand there. But I mean a lot of people that's true. That is kind of the motivation for why he does what he does, and feels like emotional blackmail. I mean, I don't want to speak to intentions. I don't think that is his intention. I think he sees a lot of people with this anxiety, and from his perspective, he's trying to ease it. Whether or not that's you know, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, only thing I'll say to that is that one thing we do plan to do is to kind of resurrect discord. So I kind of handed that off about three years ago just because I was too busy. I've seen now that there is a kind of a need for maybe weekly Q and A because so many people are interested in Orthodoxy and a lot of people don't have due to their location necessarily like an immediate parish. So I think we do need to step up and try to offer you know, maybe not full on katechisis per se, but like at least answering a lot of those kind of basic questions that a lot of people are having. So we will be reviving my discord in the next week or two. We're going to start doing the weekly Q and A.
Speaker 1: So right on I might need to make a discord account again. I haven't been on that thing in years. Let's see.
Speaker 2: I mean it can be a lot of work, Like I mean, you as you know, right, Like yeah, I would say from like twenty eighteen to twenty twenty two, like I was in discord a lot, right, it got to be almost too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think that was probably about the same same time period, you know that I I was active there. You know, I did the I did the one. I did a lot of debates on there back in the day. That's kind of where I started off. And then Redeem Zuomer was like, hey, you need to make in a well I guess maybe I haven't been on it in like over a year then justly probably just about a year, because why I started my YouTube was Redeem Zoomer was like, hey, nobody's doing the Protestant apologetic stuff. Why don't you go make a YouTube and hop in these debates. So I did it maybe six months after he told me that, But uh, you know that was eventual. That was originally where that was, And I told you in a in a conversation we had before that. Uh, that Cannon's argument that I gave I gave him he used in the debate with Luigi. That was where he got that Trullo PiZZ because he was like, how do I you know, what do I do here? I'm like, all right, try this one out. I'll give you. I'll give you a couple a couple of tools. Yeah, kind of interesting. All right, let's see, Uh, Jay, Jay, how does it feel that you're conversing side by side with someone, okay who not even six six months ago called you into debate orthodoxy? Do you see fast conversions on the horizon?
Speaker 2: I mean it feels great. I'm really happy for Cleve. I think I want him to know, as everybody else, that is not about winning the debate. I know people might think that how could die or say that that's so disingen. No, it really isn't about winning some debate or winning some arguments. Really, all that matters is was true and everybody, at the end of the day is bound by what's true. And most of the people, I think in our space, people who are out there vocally talking, I want to hope that they have the right motives. And so I think it's an amazing testament to you know, his search for truth and his putting truth first over what he wants to be true or what I want to be true anybody, and that's that's just how we ought to be. So that's great, thank God for that. I don't know about how fast, but I mean, I don't even I can't even believe, Like from what's happened from twenty seventeen till now, this kind of blows me away, Like so many churches are tripled in size, they have one hundred two hundred CD of humans, and I keep hearing that, like they don't even have enough priests to deal with people wanting to inquire and be kind of humans. So that's why I'm saying, like another reason to kind of get the discord going again. But I would guess probably, and I will say this, it seems like back in twenty seventeen to twenty twenty, the ripe ground for conversion was Catholic because I was dealing with a lot of Catholics and a lot of trad Cats that were converting. But from twenty twenty till now, it seems like it's dominated by Protestants converting. So I think we kind of got most of the Roman Catholic which is not to say that in the next several years there won't be more Roman Catholics. It's just that a lot of them are so dug in, they're so like just like there's there's some hole that you know, the papers he has as kind of you know, unique. I guess you could say I think the fertile ground now is Protestant in my view. But I mean again, I think God's grace is going to work with a lot of people. I mean, hopefully Tim Gordon will come around one day. I've been working on Tim for.
Speaker 1: So long, but it'd be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think, uh, yeah, I don't know what your experience is or what you've noticed, but it seems to me that just the last few years there's a lot more Protestants are open than Romancolics are. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I just if I were to go off, I mean, obviously my audience was mostly Protestant, but you know, all the emails like I've gotten from people who were Protestant watching my staff that are now saying, well, you know, I'm going to try to become a catechumen, or I've started attending Divine Liturgy. They've all been Protestants, And I thought I thought those emails would slow down. They have it Like I'm still getting them almost every day, so people are it's ripe that there's a lot of people that are that are interested right now.
Speaker 2: So and Roman Caolic churches are really helping us by pushing all the woke shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I just got a message today from a Roman Catholic said he was becoming Orthodox. So you know, I think I think it's both. I think you're right though. The Protestant camp right now is experienced a lot, like a lot of a lot of various losses recently, and people are expecting, I mean, really the only viable options for people if they want it to be anything other than maybe like a non denominational evangelical kind of like low church. Guy, what are your options? You look at the lcms, you look at Anglicanism, or people really going to go the Anglicanism route now after all the stuff that's happened in the media. I mean, I don't know. To me, it doesn't seem like a very easy decision to make when part of you joining that denomination is you having to preface no, we're actually not the gay ones. We're not those you know. I mean, you have the same problem in Lutheranism. But I mean, look at what was just what people were talking about very recently. If you're if you're any kind of like I mean, I know people don't like the title, but if you're interested in like Christian now rationalism or anything like that, they posted a whole uh this has been kind of resurrected. There's a whole uh confession about their doctrinal values and basically it says you can't be a Christian nationalist. It's it's condemned.
Speaker 2: So a thing that like James White and people to sign on too.
Speaker 1: No, this was this is an older document that's kind of resurfaced, but it was one of the foundational documents in the l CMS. So like guys like, I mean, I don't I don't take this guy seriously. But guys like Corey Maler or whatever, they're like, oh, you need to be l CMS because we're based you know. It's like okay, well.
Speaker 2: But there the their synod is saying you can't be a Christian nationalist.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, gotcha? All right? Uh do you still listen to any Protestant warship? No?
Speaker 2: I mean I might maybe around Christmas time we hear like Handell's Messiah and it doesn't bother me, but really most of the Protestant stuff ever since. I mean, I haven't been Protestant since two thousand and three, so I think I've only stepped foot into Protestant church a couple of times since two thousand and three. So you got to you gotta understand, that's like a world that's like twenty two years removed from my life. So now I don't I don't recall. I mean maybe every now and then I hear like an evangelical like Toby Mack or something that you know what I mean, Like when I was in the a kid in the nineties, I've listened to DC Talk or something like. I think it's funny. But no, I don't. I don't listen to any Protestant work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a big deal. Like I'm not knocking you if you do. I just it's just so far removed from like, you know, I think the last time I was in a Protestant church other than I think one went to somebody's wedding back in the two thousands, was probably two thousand and three, and I was at like a Doug Wilson Herry c Church. So it's been since two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never really been a huge fan of evangelical worship music to begin with. Now there's like, I mean we're kind of joking about the like Christian rock bands or whatever, but there is one I actually do like. It's called Dogwood. They're actually pretty good. They're like a punk war.
Speaker 2: There are a couple of Christian rock bands that I could probably still listen to, like I would, I like, let me turn this line back on here. Yeah, I mean I always like Skillett. I saw Skullet back in the day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I saw them live.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, I've seen them live I think twice.
Speaker 1: But yeah, how does Eastern Orthodox approach global missions?
Speaker 2: I mean missions are always handled by the bishops sending out missionaries. So you know when you we have a friend that just went to a church in Korea and even I didn't know there was a Korean Orthodox bishop, So I mean usually, you know, prior to the modern era, it would be also in Tannem with the state, right, so like Zar Nicholas would send you know, missionaries out to Alaska or whatever. So if you want more of a detailed history of that. Ubi Petris actually made I think a three part documentary on the history of Orthodox missions. So I highly recommend his three part series. It's really good, but it's usually handled like at the bishopric level. I mean, America is kind of unique because we're going to have this organic and actually genuinely organic kind of interest in Orthodoxy in the last few decades. It's really kind of kind of coming to a head and kind of exploding in the last five years. Yeah, but I would say that's outside the norm of history.
Speaker 1: Quick question for Jay can inquire to the Orthodox faith prayer that Jesus prayer before they're a catechumen.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean everything I've ever heard would say absolutely, anybody can.
Speaker 1: Can you explain why absolute divine simplicity does not allow for Theophanes?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think the way that the Roman Catholics themselves define it. They themselves say that the Theophanes have to be created in stantiations, iterationss angels. However you want to frame it or they want to frame it. And it is true that some Roman Catholics want to say, no, it's really Christ, it's really Christ, right, but I think they're not really on board with the trek that their church went down, because the actual theology doesn't say that, particularly if you read doctor Bradshaw's article on essence synergy, what kind of distinction? The longer version he gets into the fourth ladder in Council, which has a definition of divine simplicity that you could call in the literature, it's called identity thesis. So basically, any predicate of the divinity is identical. It's isomorphically identical with the divine essence. So if you say divine knowledge, divine mercy, divine justice, they are the divine essence. And this becomes even more problematic when Roman Catholics want to say that God is pure act or act as purists, Well, is that also a predicate of the essence? So God's essence is pure act? Well, if God is eternally pure act, then you're now in these weird ari Resitilian categy glories of does he eternally then move? What to be first act means that you're always actualizing something else, and that would require an eternal world to eternally actualize, and so that's why, for example Basil and the Hexameron. He criticizes Aristotle as a bitheist he says, Aristotle believes in a diad because you have the eternal actualizer and what he actualizes eternally. So that's also a problem for the incarnation, because if you really canosis Passage of Philippians too clearly, there's a willful self limiting that the son did to step in the time and space. It's not the Father, it's not the spirit. It's one of the hypostases entering into a motive being that the other two do not. And if you have this really radical metaphysical commitment to an absolute neo platonic simplicity, you have to understand, as Dock Bradshaw shows in his works, there's not just one model of divine simplicity in the Patricia era. The Capodocean model is not the neoplatonic model. Origin and first principles, and Platinis and Augustine have the same idea of what simplicity has to be. It's not the same thing is that what the Cavedocians think simplicity has to be. So the Cavedocean model is first and foremost concerned with defending the triad. The Western Augustinian or Originist model is first and foremost concerned with the metaphysics of absolute simplicity and no distinctions. Right, so you can see which model, obviously is more trinitarian. It's the cabin doocean model. That's what's that. Constantinople One and the Eastern Church fathers, as far as I'm aware, none of them have the Augustinian speculation that Theophanes could be created things. Every Orthodox Church father all the way back to Justin Marner, all the way up to Whenever that Theophanes are really the logos in time and space. That requires the distinction, and it requires this not often talked about idea of mode. Mode is very important for theology because it's the way a thing is, it's how a thing is, and so it's the second person that God had entering into a mode of being incarnate that the other two do not. Now, think about it, if God is an absolutely simple ball, you can't have one of the ball be in a mode of being that the other two aren't, because you're basically moving in the direction of modalism. And so the main problem with absolutely my simplicity, especially if you read even the Catholic just go to the cathlic and Psychopedia and read the entry on Eunomius.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Aquinas, Yeah, on that same kind of Actually, I saw that in the Tim Gordon debate where he was saying the uh, Theophanes were created.
Speaker 2: Tim was just expressing the standard Tomas Cathy decision.
Speaker 1: Right, it does. I think you were You were right to harp on it a bit though, because that it does sound ridiculous outloud. Absolutely, and you you had made an argument a while ago that I thought was really interesting to think about that essence energy distinction is necessary to have any kind of coherent Eucharistic theology, because otherwise you're saying what you're eating the essence of God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is an argument that I noticed reading St. Cyril of Alexandria's two Letters to six Census. So they're not very long. I recommend everybody read it. You'll notice that in those letters Cyril says, clearly we are partaking of the deified flesh the god man that deified flesh is deified because he communicates his uncreated immortality to it to raise it, to deify it. And he says, we all know we're not eating or particular of the divine usia fusis or essence. Yeah, what's the only other option. And by the way, if you read Cyril in many other places, he is very clear about the energies. Saint Cerril explicitly teaches the essence and interestinction. So we know that Cyril is arguing that the uncreated energy gees are what deify and permeate and penetrate the Eucharist, because that is the deified flesh. And so the principal christology is the same for the principle of the Eucharist. That's only possible if you have the essenceentary distinction. And in the Tomistic or the Roman Catholic scheme, I mean, who knows, Like I've never really gotten a good answer. There is a really long discussion in uh, who's the who's the tomast Lagron Labron, excuse me about this? And he doesn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean, why would't we just say what Cyril and the fourth councils and the third Council office to say, you're eating the defied flesh the gone man. Okay, well, deified isn't a creative thing. And if you read Paula MOS's debate with the Barlem, the whole debate shifts towards what we partake of, what we're participating in. And if the argument holds that you're partaking of uncreated raise, uncreated glory, then what's in the eu charus can't be just another creature.
Speaker 1: How much? How much time do you have? By the way, I didn't ask before we started.
Speaker 2: Let's see what I've got? Some more time?
Speaker 1: Okay, like thirty or an hour?
Speaker 2: Well, what do you How long do you usually go?
Speaker 1: I usually go two hours?
Speaker 2: Okay, how long we've been going?
Speaker 1: Uh, we probably have an hour left if you let's see, Uh we did that one. I'm an inquirer of my nearest. My nearest parish has pews in an organ deal breaker seems like a small thing indicative of a larger attitude of modernists. Has an organ?
Speaker 2: I mean it could be. I don't about modernism, except that a lot of times those kinds of it sounds like a Greek Orthodox church. Like a lot of times those churches are more so. I mean, they may be modernists, but they a lot of times have like Roman Catholic influence. So I would just say, judge it. I'm not saying those things don't ma matter, but judge it. More so on like, does the priests say heretical stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wi Fi gospel. Good to see you man, Praise God for this collab. God bless you both. Hey, dude, become Orthodox. Dude, it's ending an Antiochian parish, but I'm thinking about moving given the current EP Should I consider a Greek parish? Why or why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Again, I wouldn't judge the parishes on the basis of what's happening at that level, because again, there's many, many great parishes everywhere, So don't worry about the big I mean, it matters what's happening at the big geopolitical level, but that doesn't matter so much for like your own parish unless you begin to notice specific In other words, don't judge it on that. Just go and just see for yourself. That's that's the main issue. Yeah. We have had people though that have left some Greek churches for Russian churches eventually, so just be prepared that you might have.
Speaker 1: To, right you. I mean, I can speak about this without being too scandalizing. Some of the advice that I got was ask if there's if there's a particular scandal that you're concerned about. I mean, ask the priest how he feels about it without giving your opinion, and then that'll basically tell you what you need to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good way to put.
Speaker 1: Uh, howdy, I'm an inquirer and a jeweler. Would it be okay for a non Orthodox to make and produce Eastern Orthodox style jewelry?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're an inquirer, it sounds like you're moving that direction. But I mean I would I would maybe wait till you're you are Orthodox before trying to cash in on it. Yeah, I mean, I'm not sure. I'm just taking a joke, but I mean I think it might come off as like grifty if you're like because I think there was a dude a while back who, like, he wasn't Orthodox, but he started selling Orthodox prayer rugs and prayer ropes and it's like, but you're not Orthodox, so he's just you know, I mean, I'm not judging you forever wins, but you know, maybe just give it some time before you do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just become Orthodox, right now, dude, That'll be that would be the answer. Can you tell my mother in law that pigeon shouldn't have blue hair?
Speaker 2: Yes, mother in law, they do not have blue hair. How's that there?
Speaker 1: You go go ahead and click that, man, Jay, can you get cleave his own CGI bookshelf?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: Actually I want to move Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: It'll only have comment, It'll only have mango on it.
Speaker 1: That'd be terrible, dude. Yeah, I have I have a couple of overflowing bookshelves in the living room. I want to move them into this office space. I just got to, like, I have a bunch of boxes right behind this desk, So I got to move them all out and then move the stuff around. So it's coming along. It's coming along, man. So eventually I'll have the bookshelves behind me and I can look smart and I can like my Scooby Doo book and say like.
Speaker 2: They're all cardboard, they're not real books. It's just it's not they think it's that's actually just a set piece from a movie.
Speaker 1: It's just a bunch of cereal boxes in there. That'd be funny. As an ex Baptist, Jay, how are you able to get comfortable with the marriology and icon veneration of Eastern Orthodoxy? This keeps me from trying Orthodoxy.
Speaker 2: I mean, well I wasn't really I didn't go from Baptist to Roman Catholic. I went from Baptist to Calvinists, so I had kind of a phases of you know, I mean, I think for a lot of Baptists, especially when I was a Reform Baptist, he's like James White. And then the thing that kind of clicked was Covenant theology, and then you get into infant baptism. So once you've accepted infant baptism, you're kind of moving in the direction of Sacramentoism, even if you don't want to admit it. And so I remember the first time that I saw a relic when I visited my local Roman Colloy church. We had a relic of Saint Jerome and they took me in there, and it did weird me out. The first time I'd ever seen one. I was like, I don't know about this. I mean, but I think over time, like you get really comfortable with you know, if you you know, go watch the documentary that my buddy Lewis made Christian Worshman the Old Testament, because you really see the continuity with the way that you know, the ancient hebrew people who were the proto Christians, the way that they viewed Holy things and objects. I really I just came to realize that my Calvinist anti matter, anti image position was gnostic. It really wasn't even an ancient Hebrew position because they weren't iconoclass. So I guess the more that I was around it, the more it kind of made sense. I also remember, I mean, I would recommend this book even though he's a Roman Catholic, because you kind of get the idea that, like if you remarriage supper with a lamb by Scott Hahn, I mean, he has a good point about preterism at the beginning too. The Book of Revelation is a liturgy, and once I understood the Book of Revelation as a liturgical service, it's full of imagery. It's full of vestiments and elders and incense and you know, angels and all this imagery that it just made no sense that God's using all this imagery but he's against imagery. It's just silly, right.
Speaker 1: Millstash, Hey, fellas, I've been waiting for the both of you to speak with each other. There's a couple of questions I wanted to ask, but I felt it necessary to accompany the questions with my story a conversion is that. Okay, he sent me like a couple of things. I saved them. But your comments are like broken up into like a million pieces. So I'm gonna pull up what I saw. There's one one big question here you said, hold on, give me one second. Sorry dude, Okay, I'm gonna pull up here. I'm gonna pull up the other thing because you sent like a million questions in here, I'll pull up the one I was. I was raised in a Calvary chapel in southern California. Like many others, I joined Marine Corps. I joined the Marine Corps and ended up falling away from the Lord. I never became an atheist, however, so I guess you're agnostic. I met my wife overseas in Kazakhstan, so she's Muslim. So my first question as a Catechuman, how can I show her Christ? How can I show her orthodoxy? Understand it may be detrimental to my marriage if I quote unquote debate with her. So what do I do?
Speaker 2: Well? I mean, you know, women don't respond to theological argumentation the same as dudes, so you might not have the most success by kind of arguing, but it can be helpful to raise issues that are pretty big, like the Islamic dilemma or you know, Mohammed having child brides. I mean, that's that's actually the thing that most Muslims leave Islam over, is actually the Mohammed child bride issue. When you know, I'm always over here trying to think about Allah's attributes and all that. Like, they don't really leave Islam because of that kind of stuff. Usually sometimes they do, but so you might want to focus on kind of those more glaring problems. Fart Hadith's I mean, this kind of silly stuff like that, as of Satan farts, which he doesn't have gut. He doesn't have a human gut, so I don't know how you would fart. But I mean it's just kind of like there's these really weird things that could probably plant maybe some seeds of doubt. But you know, it just depends on whether she's interested in that kind of stuff or not. So you might want to just kind of invite her to church, get her to watch the Icon documentary something like that.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Something that Father John Whiteford said, with women oftentimes it's community.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna say people at church, right, community.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're able. If you know, like people who I don't know their wives go to the church you're looking into attending, maybe get together with them. Because what I did, you know, because from my background, I was an associate pastor at a Protestant church. So you know, we were super well connected. We had good friends. My wife had all their girlfriends there. She was attended women's groups, and you know, we're super plugged in. So the idea of moving from you know, one place to another one she knows nobody is daunting for anyone, you know. So I was very I was very lucky. I met up with Christian Mario actually, and you know, we got to hang out and chat and had lunch after service, you know, with him and his girlfriend. So it was like, oh, these are like normal people, like, oh I've got friends here, you know, Oh cool, I want to gohea and hang out with them kind of deals. So that might be helpful about.
Speaker 2: Your wife as saying like, how does she respond to your orthodox.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I mean on board now at first obviously some pushback for sure, Uh, you know, a couple not not for very long though. The way that I'm very blessed to have the wife that I have because she just kind of trusts me, you know what I mean, Like I've I've I've guided us through you know, crazy waters in the past, so she just kind of trusts my judgment. Uh. But also I think the key is I've got a good kind of sense of when not to push an issue. So the days she's maybe a little more in her feelings or something, I'm not going to push the issue. I'm just gonna go do the dishes or something.
Speaker 2: No, when I said your transition, I meant your gender transition. Oh how does she handle that?
Speaker 1: And I'm just sure that's funny? Uh No, but she's uh in all, in all seriousness, now she's us she's awesome with that. Let's see, Oh you sent in hold On, you sent them something else. Let me get to your thing real quick. Oh you were saying, gosh, I can't find your other comment. But this guy said his uh, his daughter had passed away, so I guess he was saying. What I found very comforting was that the Orthodox celebrate the Martyr Paris on my birthday, patron saint of unbaptized babies. My second question directed at Jay, can I hold on to that comfort that my daughter may be in heaven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean in the Orthoury Church, we don't know anybody's destiny, and there's prayers for commending the non orthodox to God, so you know, we leave that up to God.
Speaker 1: All right, let me get back up these questions here. What's the date for when you'll be on Ruslan show? Are you going back on Ruslan show?
Speaker 2: Now that I'm where? I mean, I was on Ruslan's show a few months ago. Maybe they didn't know I was on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Could the burning bush be an energetic manifestation of the Father?
Speaker 2: I know, I think all the church fathers are in the scripture is very clear that that's the Son. You know, I think Jesus identifies himself as the one speaking. If you read Exos three and then twenty three, the voice that's speaking out of the bush is identified as the same angel presence in chapter twenty three, and that's where God says, I will put my name in this angel that will go before you. So it's the same voice speaking out of the burning bush. And when I mentioned an energetic menifestation proper to the Father, I just referenced the case of where you know, the Father says this is my beloved son, you know, clearly, that's at the Baptism of Christ, at Theophany, that's the Father speaking clearly in the tongues of fire. At Pentecost, that's the Holy Spirit. But we don't have any incarnation of the Father or the Holy Spirit. We have these manifestations, which the Icon Council, the Moscow Icon councils say are the energetic manifestations proper to those persons, but they are not the hypostaces themselves incarnate. And really they're just trying to guard against the idea that the Roman Catholics were pushing that you could have this old man Jesus next to an old man God, the Father next to Jesus, and the Holy Spirit kind of shooting out between them, which is philly oquay. So they're really just trying to guard again, it's that stuff with weird kind of you know, and they kind of call it pagan too, right, Like God, the Father isn't an old man, he didn't become incarnate, he doesn't have a body. Jesus says, no one has seen the Father at any time, so it's really not proper to have that kind of imagery. But I think that pretty clearly. No, the all, all of the Theophanic manifestations in the Old Testament, even though they're trinitarian, because anytime one person of the trinities there the other the other two are as well, but they have unique roles and it is not the Father's role to be incarnate, hence it is the son.
Speaker 1: Can you quickly define personhood? I can't conceptualize the Holy Spirit as a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Orthodox theology usually with it, whether it's singular or polemis or any earlier church fathers. Hypostasis is persona or subject or agent, so it refers to the one who does the action. So if you think about the question of what what refers to the nature, then the question of who who refers to the person. So in orthodoxeology, the fundamental number one thing is the distinction between nature and person. So all Trinitarian theology is based on this nature person distinction. We Lossie, My allergies are going crazy in Texas, Dude, it's awful. So you've got this thinction between nature and person. That's also necessary for human anthropology, distinguish between I'm the person, Jay, You're the person, Bob, we're unique instantiated individual persons, subjects, or agents. But we have the same nature. We both share human nature. So nature is human. Nature is universal, but it's instantiated in the specific subjects or agents that have that nature. And so, but a person is more than just an instance of a nature. It's the actual subject, the who, the doer. And so in terms of the trend, there are three Who's right, there are three subjects or agents with one nature. So the Holy Spirit is a person because if you read John fourteen fifteen sixteen, you'll notice that he is doing the same things that the Father and the Sun are doing. That tells you he's a person.
Speaker 1: When you when you talk about something serious and I just read the chat and I see something funny, I try not to bust out laughing in the middle.
Speaker 2: I know I do the same thing. Dude.
Speaker 1: Why is the channel called antique cleavage?
Speaker 2: I don't know what it's because I got it right here. Don't go on a little bit of this right here. That's what this is all about.
Speaker 1: This is that's what that's actually what the channel's about. This isn't a Q and A.
Speaker 2: It's just now this is I'm actually in the process of transitioning. Like I mentioned, earlier, and so here's cleavage to antiquity. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks, I got to ask my wife what she thinks about your transition.
Speaker 2: Your wife might get guilty, guilty of these double d's over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go, man, Hey, J and Ben, what are the best arguments for the invocation of the Saints being biblical and not necromancy, idolatry, etc.
Speaker 2: Etc. There's a Protestant dude. What's that guy's name? He always calls in. We had some kind of debate a while back. He's the Hispanic dude that's always arguing with Sam Schuman. I can't remember that guy's name, but we ended up having like a really good, like ten or fifteen minute discussion on this, and it got clipped. I just can't think of that guy's name. But the best argument is that I think Revelation five through nine, as we said earlier, if you come to that text with the understanding that it is kind of a heavenly liturgical worship service, you'll come away with the idea that John is interacting with and communicating with the saints in heaven, the saints in heaven under the altar, the martyrs, et cetera. They're praying for and they're praying for also in pregatory vengeance on earth. They're praying for the saints on the earth. You have angels offering the prayers of the saints on earth in you know, as the as as if it was incense. And so no, it's not contradictory. In fact, some of the Jewish sects believe that there are intercess free prayers. The Book of Amos, Amos intercedes for Israel, and God listens to Amos's prayer and he says, if you had not prayed, Amos, I would have destroyed Israel. But you prayed, you interceded. And so the argument is just simply, well, if Amos is interceding as a living sinful man on earth, then the saints who have been purified in heaven praying, how much more effective are their prayers? And David in the Psalms as well, speaks to the angels. And remember the psalms are liturgical. I think a lot of Protestants and when I was just sweat, when I was Protestant, I didn't think about these texts as liturgical text. That was just foreign to me. I just thought, oh, the Bible is this you know Holy guide Book and David's psalms are meant to be temple liturgy songs, right, and in that context, he's speaking to angels in the liturgy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I talked about it briefly too in the in the video I did with Orthodox Ethos when I was on that show. And one of the things that kind of convinced me was I had a conversation with an Anglican priest we're talking about where we were talking about where Protestants and Orthodox and Roman Catholics agree as far as intercession of the saints. We're trying to get to like the roots the root disagreement, and it's okay, Well, we agree that they're alive. The Saints are alive in heaven because God has got living, not the dead. They're praying for us. That's, you know, Revelation. I believe Revelation eight is the prayers of the saints report out so on and so forth, so we know they're alive and they're praying in heaven. That the contention is that we feel, or we felt I guess I felt as a Protestant at that time, the disagreement would be that we shouldn't ask the saints to pray for us because prayer should be directed to God only. The way that I kind of got around that and this is like a people people misunderstood this when I said this in the in the video. This isn't normative. This is kind of a loophole if you are on the fence and maybe you don't know, like you're you're uncomfortable with it is just to get you to try at one time, which is what I did. And look at me now, but ask God to ask the theotokos to pray for you, Like if you're uncomfortable, you could do that. I mean that's what the Anglican priest said to me. He was like, that's what That's why I asked God to ask the theotokos to pray. And I'm thinking about that in the moment. I'm like, that sounds kind of dumb. But you know what, I couldn't think of anything wrong with that at all. Uh So I did. And uh I mean it's kind of like a little little gateway there for you to, I guess, open yourself up to that practice. Because no Protestant could point me out anything wrong with asking God did do that. They might say it's silly, right, But look at James. The Book of James says that the prayers of the righteous avail off much. So why wouldn't you want the Mother of God to be interceding on your behalf before God?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think Also, let's keep in mind what necromancy and all that is. That is you trying to get forbidden information, secret information from a spirit that is not what's happening in terms of liturgical prayer and asking for other people to pray for you. There is no special gnosis that the Saint comes and gives you some divination or something like that. So it's not necromancy. When they ask Jesus, you know, the Pharisees asked, Jesus says, and John he says, God is not the God of the dead. He's got a living So they live to God, and so they are not the dead, they are alive to God.
Speaker 1: I just want to say thanks for the content recently found both of you and have been so impressed and grateful. Hey, thanks man, appreciate it. Hey guys, big fan for Jay. Do you think there are other philosophical arguments for God that rank like tag such as contingency argument argument God bless you.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think any of them are very good. I mean, you can reformulate most of the cloud arguments to be a kind of transcendental argument to make them better. But the problem is not whether there's causation or whether there's t lo's or something like that. It's just that depending upon the atheists or the how cunning or smart the atheist is that you're talking to, they're going to just question the things that the contingency argument assumes. So, I mean it might be it might work to argue that way with like your coworker or something like that. But if you encounter an intelligent atheist professor and you try to use a contingency argument, he's going to shoot it down right away. So you need be prepared for the types of critiques that skeptical atheists professors are going to use for those kinds of arguments. Even if they work pragmatically to convert a coworker or something like that, he's not a sophisticated philosophy dork. I still think we should strive to have, you know, the stronger arguments. So no, I would not use the contingency argument unless I've reformulated it. As a transcendental version of that kind of an argument, where like like I like, let's say causation, right, Like, I'm not going to make a cosmological argument, but I'll say, if you don't have the principle of causation as a presupposition, then knowledge and the world is impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We were just using tag today, me, Mario and Luigi when an atheist called into Mario's livestream. I was sitting there. I was I was multitasking, I was lifting weights and and talking to atheists. That's kind of cool actually fun fact, my my sister, who was an atheist, became a Christian after hearing me run TAG, which I learned from your channel. By the way, Jay On her now husband, who's her boyfriend at the time. So she overheard that argument and I was running tag. I got him to get to the point where I was like, dude, can you even tell me if the watermelon on the table exists through your paradigm? And he's like no, okay. MYS was like, all right, this is stupid. I can't be an atheist anymore. So it's just kind of to point out the ridiculousness of that it is.
Speaker 2: And I mean When you say that, people be like, what do you mean is does the watermelon exist? It's so ridiculous. It's not because if you read somebody like Bertrand Russell, I mean in Scientific Outlook, he admits in the first several chapters, he's like, modern science and skepticism has gotten us to this point where we can't even know or prove that there is an external world. Yeah, he says, there is no proof for it. We don't know. We just have to act like there is one. You can't prove it though. So in other words, the top atheist admit that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did the guy that called in in that livestream. He was like, oh yeah, I'm a radical skeptic. I don't know anything. Okay, great words the debate.
Speaker 2: Exactly how are we going to use logic to debate when you don't know that there is such a thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You guys should tag team Islam, Jay and Cleeve to Antiquity versus Jake the Muscle Metaphysician and Trent Direrty. Trent's Trent's Trench is retired. You won't see any more videos from Trent, So no Trent Trent Doherty, the Roman Catholic guy. Yeah, he's done. He's not he's not doing any more stuff after after the debate that you had, and then I debated him shortly after that, he's not coming back. I mean unless he changes his mind. But that was the last word, was he's done.
Speaker 2: Well. He didn't do too well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't I don't blame him. Pray for that guy, Pray that he becomes Orthodox. There about that serious question, if did I get he he wants to know if you're willing to debate the true Orthodox guy, nft.
Speaker 2: I've been. They've been pushing that for years. I'm not issued.
Speaker 1: Temple art. My dad went to high school with Mike Tate from DC Talk, was friends with those guys before and during their blow up. Cool tuning in from Jordanville, curious to hear Ben's current take on the Biblical canons affirmed at Trulla from y'all's origin. I wasn't talking about the Bible canon at the end that debate. We were talking about Yeah, so I don't know what you're what you mean, I will be doing so for those of you that are interested, I will be doing like debunk myself streams so I'm gonna go back and pull up my my old arguments, and I'll be watching through my videos and critiquing my arguments. I'm gonna have I forget the name of that Lutheran pastor I've had on my show a couple of times, Josh Shuoping, the guy that was he was a former Orthodox priest. I had him on my show twice, and some of those arguments really didn't sit well with me even then, So I was like, I think that's probably gonna be the first one I go back and debunk, because I get a lot of people that will message me and say they were actually convinced by some of those and I don't know. For me, I think they're like, there's glaring holes in a lot of those arguments, so those need to be addressed. First, not to brag. I open for skillet at Pillar at two fests. Awesome, dude, nice question, Cleeve. If you adopted a prayer rule, Jay, what does your prayer rule look like? And how often do you confess? Also, what's your Social Security number? What's your last one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I'm not going to answer that. Because I do have a spiritual father. You can come meet him if you come to the conference, but I'm not going to tell you all my personal stuff.
Speaker 1: For one, I'm willing to become Orthodox, But what if your parents won't allow you to become one and you live far from the church.
Speaker 2: Usually priests will counsel you that you can kind of privately in an interior way of the Orthodox because you are under your parents. And then once you're eighteen, you can make your own decision and you can move near one or you know, do what you want. So that's usually what priest wills say.
Speaker 1: Apostolic Christianity is fake. What does the church say about the Church of the East and Rome evangelizing a good chunk of the world.
Speaker 2: First, I guess you could say that they prepare the way for the Orthodox Church. I mean, we're not going to make a blanket condemnation that everybody's automatically damned because it was heterodox you know, evangelization. But also we will just be honest and forth right about what's very lacking and a lot of that catechisis and approach. For example, think about you know, Roman Catholics love to tell the numbers, the numbers, the numbers, but a lot of those converts in Latin and South America. I mean they practice condomble a, they practice santaria. The notion of conversion is very very loose. It's it's very tied up with the you know, the indigenous pagan traditions. And I don't mean picking in a baptizing Christianity type of way, but no like actual you know, forbidden practices type of stuff. So it's like you can say that, yeah, we got all the numbers, but the numbers don't matter if people aren't getting good catechises. In fact, it might even make it worse. I'm not saying that Mexican human sacrifice should should have remained and that the Spanish shouldn't have you know, Christianized you know Mexico or whatever. But I'm saying when you have bad catechises a lot of times that can be even worse than no catequiss So you know, there's no easy answers to that. But I think this even if you're a Roman Catholic or you were an Apostolic Christianity person, I mean, the tables could be turned. The same question could be asked, like what why why did Rome have a problem with the yeast splitting for a thousand years, but now after Vatican Two where two lungs of the same church, and rat Singer says that the East maintained the faith without the papacy. So it's a it's just really kind of a a difficult question for anybody.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, I was talking about this with dph on his show, and he was he was telling me some of the uh, I guess into the world claims have to do with the Orthodox the actual Gospel getting out to all these nations. So I guess there was some saint prophecy that was talking about the Orthodox Gospel has to reach all of the nations because of the true Gospel, and then then you'll see, h.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see that being the case. I don't have any hard commitments on that. I would probably tend towards that position. I've always still favored an optimistic awmill or post millennial type position, so I've never I've never been like this sort of pessimistic type of mind, but that could be the case. I'm also not really super deep into the Elder Saint prophet to see stuff. I'm not opposed to it, it's just I don't really get into that too much.
Speaker 1: Clarification on that super chat there. I thought you had made an argument at one point Trulau accepted multiple biblical canons. Yeah, yeah, I did. I mean it's it does you read the Council of Trula, It accepts multiple different regional councils, so that wasn't in our debate though.
Speaker 2: I think the canon, though it specified the specification is that it's Carthage, and Carthage has basically the same canon as what the Roman decision that the Council of Rome under Damasis has, so Carthage and around the same time as Council Rome around the year four hundred. I think it's Trelo Mensche specifically, which Carthage they're referring to. I don't remember which one it is. I'll talk there's a bunch of Carthage, but the one that's about the canon is pretty much the same as the Latin canon. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was talking about a video I did a while back that was talking about the orth Cannon, and I was mentioning that it that exact point, it matches the Latin canon, not necessarily what the Orthodox have, but you can look at the the Confession of Dycytheus, which will clarify as well. I guess the only asterisk there would be it doesn't specify the number of Maccabees. It just says the Maccabees. So uh, but you can you can point to that which which kind of works in our favor too, with the with the additional Maccabees and the Georgian cannon too. So let's see. Good question, dude. But I'll be again. I'll be doing videos going back at debunking my old arguments, so stay tuned for that. I'm not asking this to be a smart ass. I'm an inquirer to Eastern Orthodox and I'm struggling with a letter from Ucbius to Constantine's sister. What bothers me? He doesn't clarify the difference between the statues he took from it took and from icon I don't understand that last part of your question, dude.
Speaker 2: I think some of those people will refer to this and they think that I mean, I could be wrong. Maybe the it's not what he means. But sometimes this argument is brought up if I recall as an argument against icons, but I think he's talking about like pagan statues, and so sometimes iconoclass take those comments where like Origin or Eusebius is saying, and we remove the unholy images and with this so that but in the context they're actually talking about like pagan gods and you know, like statues, if heroes being worshiped. They're not actually talking about the types of things using the liturgy. But that may not be what he's talking about.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Tyler big super chatty, thank you so much. I converted last year. I noticed clergy off and highlight seminary credentials, yet the fathers and saints emphasized monastic hes, hechasm and illumination of the news. A theologist one who praise has orthodoxy drifted towards scholasticism today.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could probably lodge that criticism with areas of the West, but I don't think it's necessarily wrong to have the qualification of the criteria. For example, Saint Photius was widely known as the most learned man of Bysantheum. I mean, he probably wasn't touting that, But it's also part of just the culture today that people list their qualifications for speaking on subjects. So I wouldn't necessarily link having your PhD and your title or something as necessarily meaning that they're not spiritual. I think that would be a false either or but I think separate from the titles, Yeah, I think everybody in the West has been infected with enlightenment and scholastic tendencies. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They were just talking about this on I guess the Ancient Faith Radio thing. I popped in for like a second. I normally not a huge fan or I haven't really watched it too much, but they were saying there was a crisis with the convert surge and what they were thinking about. They were kind of brainstorming solutions to it, and they were saying in the in the American context, it's very unique because they will force people want to become priests, to travel and go to seminary at specific locations, a lot them move. So you're saying maybe adopting the model that is present already in the East, which is like more of an apprenticeship, like you're you're kind of learning. Yeah, so that's what they were talking about on that show. I saw it pop back up. That's what I was looking at here on my phone here Ortho Christian Orthodox Christianity, that news outlet or whatever they were talking about. It's like huge crisis Orthodox Church, like, you know, they don't have enough priests, so maybe that might be one model they moved to. Ye who knows. Question inquirer, why do Orthodox give incense to saints and not just God? And why is a sceticism like someone in the desert who dies in a couple of years considered a positive.
Speaker 2: What the earth one? I would say again, read Revelation five or nine, and you'll see the significance of the incense. And even though the incense is in front of an icon of the saint, the significance is that the saint is praying and the prayers are going up to God, because that's what's in the Book of Revelation, particularly chapters five or nine. But I don't know what you're talking about. A person who is going to intentionally die in two years. Most people are not called to a aramatic, radical ascetic existence. Some people are called to that. And you know, you have this tradition of the fools for God. So but I mean that's again, you know, in the Orthodox world, you're not going into this to do I'm going into this because I'm going to be the desert ascetic. You're going into it with a spiritual father who's going to counsel you. And how many people end up being hermits? Not many? Okay, so not everyone is called to that or nor is that the appropriate thing for them. So God will put you in the situation that you need to be in at the right time if you obey God, so you don't have to worry about Oh, you know, I'm joining a cult where they're gonna like brainwash me and I'll be dying in a desert in two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah that, yeah, you're thinking of You're thinking of the Roman Catholic saints like Saint Catherine of Siana who basically starved herself to death, you know that kind of thing. I was talking about this with a body of mine and he was saying, the modern like the ones that were canonized post Vatican two, are always have the craziest backstories. You're saying, they're like ripoffs of Orthodox saints, but like full of prelst. It's like that the early life or whatever their life story is kind of like was, you know, received a vision, was given a foreskin ring or something, and then starving stars to death was considered a heretic and then guess what they were they're canonized, you know, woo because somebody was like a fan of them because they were Yeah, it's crazy that my.
Speaker 2: Video on histrionic women's Saints is it's exactly what you're talking about. But I think it's very different the Orthodox shirts. You don't have this sort of like the asceticism is not an end in itself. Right in Roman Catholic world penance you're doing these things for penance, so you're trying to like pay off the temp world debt for the sins through these excruciating things. And you know, they had the mistranslation from Jerome that you mortify the body, which actually was talking about repentance changing the mind. It's not saying you like literally punish yourself as if that sort of pays off God. So I think certain things contributed to this extreme in the Romancalolic world. A lot of that's taking place in the Middle Ages. That's too deep to go into right now, But they really just lost the goodness of the body. In the Roman Catholic world, the wholeness of man, focusing on the intellect, and because they don't have the notion of the news. So in Orthodoxy there's body, mind, spirit or heart and remo. Catholic Church doesn't have that. It just has soul body, and the soul is really the intellect.
Speaker 1: How familiar is j with Metropolitan Saba? What are his thoughts? I admire what I know, but I don't know much.
Speaker 2: I don't know. People ask me all the time, what do you think about Bishop so and so? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Yeah, maybe he'll come to the conference where we can hang out and get to know. Uh. You speak often of the Office of the Keys and how the Catholics interpret them as a jurisdiction, preaching, et cetera. What's the Catholic source for this?
Speaker 2: I guess I mean that's pretty I mean, off the top of my head, I'm not sure, but I don't think that's too controversial. If you look up just probably the Catholic Encyclopedia or any any standard Roman Catholic theological theology manual will tell you that the office of the Keys is the those three things.
Speaker 1: It is. It is in the Catholic Encyclopedia. I had the same question after your debate, and I looked it up.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, it's something I learned like a long time ago, when I was a realman. Catholic, and I don't remember the exact sort, but it's pretty easy to find topics like that. Yeah, what's up.
Speaker 1: Mario, Thanks for thanks, Thanks for the two bucks man, appreciate you. Uh, Alex, he's got a good Orthodox channel there. He's an Orthodox lawyer and he does apologetics. Now, Uh, Jay is the star of rim Fan in Act seven? The modern Star of David. Seems like Saint Stephen accuses the Sanhedrin of literally practicing occultism. How is this connected, if at all, the demonic influence in geopolitics. Thanks?
Speaker 2: This is a good question. I don't exactly know the answer to. I've heard this. Uh yeah, I think it's specifically in the septuagen I think the Maserati text doesn't say star rem Fan. I don't know if we exactly know what the star room Fan is. Uh. It could be the six pointed hexagonal, you know star, And there could be this sort of you know, tumeltic tradition that resurfaces at the time of whenever, you know, the rabbi has decided to use that symbol. I honestly, I mean familiar with these theories, I just honestly don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same significance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the people in chat to laugh, but carey thirty eight forty nine, So if you want to laugh, go look.
Speaker 2: At that for hoodie. So those are awesome.
Speaker 1: Did you see Tim Gordon crash out over annulments on X.
Speaker 2: I did not. In fact, I kind of had to not pay attention to I don't want to get too triggered and constantly argue with him. So, I mean we chat on we chat on d MS and and like on cell text more than anything on Twitter, because I don't want to get I'll just argue. I'm too spurgy about that. I'll just keep arguing. So I just try to avoid it. But I don't know what he said.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I try not to argue in text on like ever because it's just annoying. I take too much of my time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna have to go pretty soon. I've got something I gotta get to pretty.
Speaker 1: Quick here, sure, no worry. How much time you got like five minutes, A couple minutes, okay, all right, let me get to a couple So, no, don't send any more super chats. I'm gonna get to a couple that are that are good questions.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Um, okay, hold on, let's see whatever.
Speaker 1: Prog bull can a liberal be Christian? That's an easy question.
Speaker 2: No, I mean I assume you mean like pro abortion and like obviously those things are fundamentally incompatible with basic Christian principles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm almost done with Saint Maximus. Two hundred chapters on theology, not well formed on Eastern philosophy.
Speaker 2: Take this phone call. Can you hold on a second?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Let's see if there's anything in here that I can answer. Okay, this is this guy's This guy's a Luther and he always pops up in my chat. He's fun. Dude. Uh Jay, what's your workout regimen? Why has been lifting weights but still fat?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: It's over. It's over, man. I gotta, I gotta, I gotta enter into my cut season. You know, I got the I got the gains. I do have to trim down a little bit though. I started intermittent fasting. I was doing keto for a while, and you know, I did jiu jitsu and stuff for cardio. But uh, I'm hoping I'm hoping that intermittent fasting plus keto combo. It's gonna really shred down, shred down the uh shred down the weight there. But I want to keep I don't want to like, I don't want to diet and like lose my gains though you know I have like noodle alarms or something that'd be anoint Uh. You said arguments from the Biblical canon against Protestants aren't convincing to you. Why, Jay, do you think Cleaves reasoning is fair? Well, we kind of talked about it earlier where I was talking about the Now people get upset when I talk about this because they're like, oh, no, the canon conundrum converted me. So this makes retarded or something. You know, I don't think that's the case. If you think it's a good argument, go ahead.
Speaker 2: And use it.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying there are holes in the argument that you could poke, and I have poked holes in the argument when I did debates with Granted he's not the best debater, but he's a nice enough guy. What was his name, Cameron Riiker, that Catholic guy. If you want to go look at some of the arguments I put forth on that, it was there. But I mean I always held to a two tier view so some people get confused and they think the argument is for a strict sixty six canon. That wasn't really the argument. The argument is for a two tier view and that the Roman Catholic modern view is incorrect because they hold them all to the same level. They don't have any They call them Dutero canonical, but it's because the Deutero canon second in acceptance, not because they hold any kind of distinction. There a good question. Let's see what else is there? What rolls be Christians? No? Uh?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Is that? The is that? The is that the stoning the monkey's hidith? Where there is like I saw a she monkey committing adultery, so I joined in and stoning stoning the she monkey. Yeah, that's funny. I sent that to a buddy of mine when he first became a Christian. Let's see any other any other ones that I could possibly answer? Probably not well, if you guys, I guess while we're waiting on Jada comeback, because the rest of these questions are for j specifically, If you guys want to, uh, please re ask my question when Jada's back. What's your oh? Because he left mid Yeah? Sure, no worries, dude, okay, welcome, welcome, all right. Uh do you want to do you want to do like two more questions and wrap up here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we can do that. So big day tomorrow, guys. No pray for what'll be going on with Gerald from Crowder, So he's interested in orthodoxy. We'll be talking about all that tomorrow. So I'm just trying to get all that situated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be cool man. Yeah we can. Well, if you want to just finish answering this one, we can wrap up after that, all right. He says this was the Saint Maximus two hundred chapters on theology. Doesn't understand the term gnosissism in.
Speaker 2: There, Well, yeah, I mean the a gnostic is just one who has knowledge, right, So he's not using it in the sense of the heresy of the early Church. He's just talking about the person who has true knowledge or the saint. That's all he means.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right. Cool. Well, hey man, thank you so much for coming on the show. This has been awesome. You know, I'd love to do something again in the future. These are these are super helpful not only for me, but also for the inquirers that watch the stream and stuff like that is anything, Well, you just plugged the one thing coming up, but what else would you like to plug before we.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're doing that tomorrow. I don't know when they're gonna air it. I don't know if it airs the same day it records or if they have a delay so that I don't know. But yeah, we'll have the conference as you guys know, November twenty twenty. First, you can find those links on my wall or my website. You can get my books in the shop at Jasonilsons dot com. We'll be having events in the future. I'm sure you'll be with us. So glad you're on board, and glad to look forward to meeting you in a few weeks. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be awesome. Thanks so much for swinging by, and thank you all so much for watching. You'll have a good night, all right later