Speaker 1: You're listening to an air Wave Media podcast. In seventeen thirty five, my ancestor, mother Leaves, was pregnant with her thirteenth child, and it said under the pain of birth of labor, she cried out, let it be the devil, And so it was the creature. The baby was born normally at first, but then metamorphosed into this dragon like creature. In some accounts, you know, the creature sort of thrashes everyone in the room, and other accounts it kills the women who are attending the birth and then it flies around the room and output chimney into the night. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: A giant, hairy creature party part of mass in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland, gets a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 3: Monster Talk.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm your host, Blake Smith. As you can probably tell by that teaser from the television show Lost Tapes, today's topic is the Jersey Devil and we have a great interview for you with a scholarly fellow who, with memory serves as our first three peat guest from the History Department of Keen University in New Jersey. We once again welcome doctor Brian Riegel, who previously joined us on Monster Talk to discuss the demise of the Wherewolf at the hands of Charles Darwin and the history of cryptozoology and the relationships of credentialed scientists and amateur enthusiasts. Brian is an historian of science with a specialty in human evolution and his relationship to religion in politics and American national origin theories. He is the author of Searching for Sasquatch, Crackpots, Eggheads, and Cryptozoology, which just came out in a much more affordable paperback edition. Check the show notes for a link Moremsttle Welcome back, Brian.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 4: It's a pleasures. It's great to have you back. You've I think you are a fifth guest. I mean when we've very first, very first got started, and then you've been back to talk about your book, and I've kind of followed your work and you just out of the blue surprised me with this work you've done on the Jersey Devil. So when did you become interested in the Jersey Devil?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess I always was. You know, as growing up in New Jersey, you hear the story early on and it's you know, it's very fun and but about oh, I guess back in the winter, right after Hurricane Sandy came through and laid waste to most of the Garden State and we were we were out of out of power for over a week. And when it fun I came back on, I had a lot of TV watching to catch up on, and there was I think it was Monster Quest or one of those shows. They were doing an episode on the Jersey Devil. So if you were all sit and watch this, And as I watched it, it just made me angry because they were putting forward such such crap, you know, not research, just you know, like a like a televised version of Wikipedia. And I yelled at my TV a lot. And I started yelling at my TV, and I said, you know, I'm gonna have to look into this. And so I decided to what I needed to do was to do a complete reassessment of the entire Jersey Devil legend. And so as a historian, your first instinct always and this is how you get trained in graduate school, where are the documents. Look for the documents, look for the correspondence, Look for the lost papers, you know, look for the notebooks, look for the lost publications. And so I just started digging and doing what historians do, and very easily, very quickly, I came up with all those material and I said, no, why hasn't anybody done this? Why are there people running around the Pine Barrens thinking they're going to find this thing? There's nothing after to find?
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, hey, you can't just jump into conclusions like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I've already gotten some interesting correspondence over this, which is which is what I expected.
Speaker 4: Well, do you know, listen, I sometimes make the assumption that with some of the more well known monsters that everyone who listens to the show knows what these creatures are. Right, But let's talk about the monster legend for a minute before we go into the actual history. What is the legend of the Jersey Devil?
Speaker 5: Okay, the accepted standard legend is this. In seventeen thirty five, outside of Burlington, New Jersey, in a huge forest that is known as the Pine Barrens, a witch named Mother Leads gave birth to her thirteenth child, and as the child was breaching. She screams out, Oh, let this one be a devil. And what comes out is not a baby, but a sing with a horse like head, a bat like wings, a long tail, cloven hoofs, and claws. It yelps menacingly at the astonished, dim witted, dull witted family who's standing there watching, and then flies up the chimney and out and disappears, often to the forest, spending the next several centuries accosting any passers by that happened to encounter it. Just a basic story, right, and variations on it, But that's the basic story.
Speaker 4: It's a It's not like Bigfoot or a lot of the other cryptozoological creatures in that there's no population of these things. It's just one, right, right.
Speaker 5: It's it's not really it doesn't conform to the generally accepted definition of a cryptid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. So. So who is this Leeds family that that they're talking about.
Speaker 5: Well, in the legend, they are a kind of backwoods hillbilly family living a kind of detached life from the rest of civilization. When people think of New Jersey, they think of Bruce brings Me, they think of the sopranos. They think of the sort of last twenty miles of the Turnpike in the northeastern part of the state, which is very urban, very industrial, but the lower half of the state, it's essentially a separate state. South Jersey, it's very agrarian, very forested, very bucolic, and there's a huge swath of pine forest that extends from the Atlantic coast of from Atlantic City all the way over to Philadelphia. And it's quite an enormous tract of land and rather sick and as it's called the pine barrens, and it's not heavily populated. And so the Leeds family were denizens of the pine barrens, and the Pineys, as they're sometimes rather unfortunately referred to even to this day, are supposedly like backward people who live in kind of hovels and you know, not part of the mainstream. And this legend builds upon this kind of stereotype, and the Leads family was one of these of these backwards families who were vaguely thought of to be into the occult and father Leads or sometimes depicted as a drunk, sometimes as a ship a disgraced ship captain, and so they sort of in the legend, they conformed to every stereotype of kind of dull witted backwards people.
Speaker 4: But they're not. They're not as sophisticated as like your snookies.
Speaker 5: Well, because we could probably do a whole other thingment just on that that they might be the modern equivalent. But the reality is that when this whole story begins, the actually there really is a Leads family. There are still people in New Jersey, still people who live in the pine barrens who are descendants of the Leads family, So they never really went away. But what I found was that there's this transformation that takes place which is fairly common in folklore. Not only does the Jersey Devil itself transform from a normal child into the sort of hideous monster, but the legend transformed the Leads family from one form into another. The form they get transformed into again, like I said, this kind of dill witted backwoods people. But the really fascinating reality is that the Leeds family in the colonial era were civic leaders. They were aerodyite educated, They participants of the scientific revolution. They thought they were bringing astronomy and mathematics to the new world, and they were the complete opposite of the stereotype that they're that they're portrayed of as in the in the legend, and far from being sort of dark occultists, they're actually quite uh active Christians. They start off as Quakers and then they become Anglicans.
Speaker 4: Okay, So so here, so again wanting to kind of set the framework. I love the way you did this research is really good. So and it's going to be published very soon in Skeptical Choir.
Speaker 5: Looks like, Yeah, there's there's a kind of short popular version coming out in the next issue of Skeptical in Choir. That's what they tell me, the September October issue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, quite a good story.
Speaker 5: And then there's a much longer the peer review version will be coming out in a journal called New Jersey History, and that's supposed to be the October November issue.
Speaker 4: And I have to say, as peer review articles go, that was really an excellent read. I mean, it was it was completely accessible to someone as a d and as I am. So let's talk about the culture at the time. So, first of all, what time of American history are we talking about? Roughly when the real Leeds family lived there.
Speaker 5: We're talking about the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century.
Speaker 4: So that's the sixteen and seventeen hundreds. See I got it all right, It's always one ahead exactly. So who were the Quakers? Besides their delicious oatmeal? What else did they do well?
Speaker 5: The Quakers were They start off as British nonconformist religionists in the midst of the British Civil War. They sort of reject organized religion and organized authority and decides that Christianity, to their mind, as it was being practiced by the Anglican Church in England really wasn't doing justice to God and to Jesus, and so they just to break away and form their own sect. They're originally called the Friends, but because part of their theology is that each individual burns with an inner light the interlay of God, and this interlay causes people to behave in certain ecstatic ways, and they shake and they move around the meetinghouse, and detractors said, well, they're quaking with the Lord, and that was meant as an insult. But as often happens in these situations, people who are called something as an insult will adopt that phrase to take the insult out of it. So even they start to refer to themselves as Quakers, but they were always originally known as the Society of Friends, and so they were basically a Christian offshoot.
Speaker 4: And within that Quaker group there were other sects or groups that also practice mysticism.
Speaker 5: Not really the sort of star or the central character of this whole story is Daniel Leeds. He's the he'll become the patriarch of the Leeds family in America, and he's a bit of a mystic. He's very influenced by German Pietism, which was somebody which comes out around the same time that Quakerism begins to form, but it begins to form in Germany in Austria, and again these are people who are sort of breakaway, a breakaway group who wants to break with mainstream Lutheranism because they thought Lutheranism had become too corporate and too sort of formulaic and not emotional and mystical enough. And one of their one of their great philosophers, is this guy, Jakaboem, who writes a series of books, and Daniel Leeds gets a hold of this and reads his work and is very influenced by it and tries to bring a kind of a German Pietists religious flavor to southern New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania, and we'll run into all sorts of resistance from it. If you want to know the source of Jersey Devil legend, that's where That's where it is, this sort of clashing of German Pietism and Quakerism and Anglicanism in the New World.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I know that sounds really odd that somehow that could lead to the Monster, but yeah, you make the case very well. So let's let's move the story forward a little bit. So the first generation of leads Uh is basically at not war, but they're in conflict with the Quakers, so.
Speaker 5: Right, right, Well, Daniel Leeds is actually born in England in Leeds, England and his family around the mid sixteen seventies decide to leave England and they convert to becoming Quakers, and they decide to leave England come to America to sort of seek their fortune and find their futures, and they arrive in around sixteen seventy six seventy seven. They go first to New York, which was a fairly common thing people coming from England and Europe would wind up in New York for a little while and then sort of head off to wherever they were going. And so, because it's already an established Quaker community in southern New Jersey and the Pine Barns, the Leeds family decides, well, that's where we'll go because we'll be amongst friends, both figuratively and literally. And so daniel Leed's like twenty five when they come over, and so he wants to he's a devout Quaker and he wants to part of the religious life. And he does what everyone does, is you join the local meeting and you donate some money, and you become part of your society, and you buy some land, and you know, you become part of the world you're moving into.
Speaker 4: And then things go wrong.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, Because Leeds is an interesting character, I've been desperately digging for information, biographical information on him back in England, because, like I said, he doesn't come over as a child, and he becomes over as a young man. And I've been following some some strands strands over there, but I haven't really been able to put together his early life in England just yet. But by the time he comes here, he's already filled with this kind of ecstatic notion. He's already had several visions of Jesus, uh, you know, he's seen these kind of missedical images, and he's taking on this kind of mystical flavor of Quakerism, and that really doesn't sit well with his Quaker neighbors, who are very sort of black and white and right down the middle. And despite the fact that they're breaking away from the Anglican world, they're still fairly conservative. There's still fairly no nonsense in their Christianity. And along comes this guy Leads, who's talking about visions and Pietism, and Leads is a guy who is very interested in the mystical aspect of Christianity and coupling with that this kind of urge as people like this often have to tell people to tell others what he's up to. And so in sixteen eighty seven he decides to start publishing an almanac, which.
Speaker 4: No almanacs were that Centuri's version of Twitter. Right, Yeah, they.
Speaker 5: Were social medias. They were they were meant and at their core, an almanac was meant to be a handbook for farmers, because what you did was you calculate using astronomy and mathematics, you would calculate in astrology, you would calculate for a whole year, when the sun was going to come up, when the sun was going to go down, when winter would start, you know, all the sort of thing, because in the grarian community you need to know this stuff for sure survival. And when the almanacs start being published in England, very quickly they become more than just these lists of when the sun's going to go up and come down, and almanac publishers start including little stories and jokes and all sorts of information, and so Leeds builds his almanac around that model, and he starts putting into their things about medical astrology. And you know, it really quite came in the in the in the one article that that I that I said to the copy of I referred to him as a as a Christian occultist. And that's because he's not. But he's not a dark magician.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: There were quite a few people then and still to this day who see the occult as a way of gaining greater insight into Christianity. They don't see it as a kind of dark art at all. But if you if you are a straight forward, mainstream Christian. You hear the word of cult, you go crazy because you think, oh my god, they're devil worshipers are doing this or doing that. And so he gets into quite a bit of trouble with his neighbors over publishing this almanac because they think it's to a cult and astrological.
Speaker 4: And and and I believe you wrote that they actually had a problem with him trying to predict the weather.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because the prediction is thought of as this kind of negative thing to do that you shouldn't be doing this.
Speaker 4: It's like a prophet or right, gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Quaker's had some issues with prophecy.
Speaker 4: But when I think about American almanacs, Leeds family Almanac's not the one that comes to mind.
Speaker 5: No, it does not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so tell us about that, because the whole story of his son and the relationship we had with Ben Franklin I found fascinating.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, there's there's a whole thing that goes on. The Quakers actually buy up all the copies of his almanac, first issue of it and burn it because they think it's so bad. And he will not be deterred, and he just keeps on going. Leeds is very lucky because the sort of the cosmic gears turn in just the right way, because a few years after he arrives, William Bradford shows up, and William Bradford goes down in American history as one of the first major printers that comes to the New World. He brings a printing press with him from England and they hit it off, come friends, and so Bradford's like, well, I'll just I'll keep publishing this. I'm not going to stop. And so the Leads Almanac becomes rather popular despite the Quaker father's being upset with it. And then in sixty eighty eight, Leads publishes a book, in fact, the first book ever published in New Jersey. Now that's one of the things that is really so interesting about this that the Leads family are pioneers, not just in New Jersey history, but in colonial American history, pioneers as religious activists, as writers, as publishers. The Leeds Almanac is the first almanac ever published in New Jersey, not the first in America, but the first in New Jersey. And in sixty eighty eight he writes a book called The Temple of Wisdom, where he tries to explain all this Pietists and mystical thought to his neighbors, and that goes down even worse than the Almanac did. They banned his book. The Quaker fathers of New Jersey banned his book. They publicly refer to day Leads as evil for what he's doing, and this causes Leads to quit Quakerism and disgust, and rather than just walk away from them, he decides to become a Quaker critic and he starts publishing books sort of attack what we would say called attack literature, claiming that the Quakers are bad people, and they steal from merchants, and they're adulters and all these horrible things. And this goes on for some years, and it's it's so the first scandal mongering in American history to rival any of the stuff that goes on today in the media. And what happens this years go by and round, oh seventeen fourteen, Daniel Les decides to retire and he turns the Almanac over to his son, Titan Leeds. He's got a bunch of kids, Daniel Leeds does. His wives don't well. All of his wives die early except for one, Jane. She has like eight kids, and then drops dead after the After that, Vanie Leeds turns the almanac over to his youngest son, Titan Leads. This is around seventeen to fourteen, and Titan isn't quite the anti Quaker that his father is. He's just happy to keep publishing the almanac. Titan Leeds is an astronomer, he's a mathematician, and around about oh seventeen thirty three he gets into an almanac feud, and he gets into an almanac feud with none other than Ben Franklin. Because this is early on in Franklin's career, and the Leeds Almanac is the most popular one in New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania, and Franklin wants to start an almanac of his own because he knows it's lucrative. He can make money off of these things. They're very popular. They say they're they're cheap to me, and they sell very well. And so he is going to do Poor Richard's Almanac. He creates his character, which he actually steals from a from a London almanac, Richard Saunders, Poor Richard Saunders, and in the very first issue, Franklin says, in speaking through the voice of Richard Saunders, Poor Richard. He says, my friend Titan Leads, I have calculated according to astrology, and Titan Lee is going to die within the year, and he even gives a date. And of course the date comes and goes, and titanle doesn't die. And so Titan Leeds says, oh, this Franklin, he's a fool, he's a liar. And Franklin never misses a beat. He keeps straight face, and he says, no, Titan Leaves did die. And this person who is calling me all these horrible names is the ghost of Titan Leads. And this just makes Titan he's crazy, but there's nothing he can do about it. You know. He's fumes in public about this crazy Franklin, and Franklin just keeps a straight face and says, well, you know, my old friend Titan he's gone. But this this person running around isn't really a person. He's he's a sorcerer risen from the dead. And all Titan Leads can do is kind of fume and not react. Well, everybody gets a joke, he doesn't. But what happens is that Franklin's ploy works. Poor Richard's Olman act becomes the most famous in American history, and the Titan and the leads Omanact is completely forgotten.
Speaker 4: I think the story amuses me on a couple of levels. You know. Obviously, Franklin's reputation is one that you know, you learn about in elementary school, and then as you get older you learn whoa This was quite an interesting person on a lot of levels.
Speaker 5: And far more complex than most people give him credit for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll say so. I've read a lot of his writing, and some of it's quite body. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, you know, if you were I always tell my students, I said, you know, if I couldn't meet any of the family fathers, it's got to be Franklin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he would be great to me.
Speaker 5: First, you love to drink. He loved to, you know, pinch women's behind. He loved a good meal. You know, at a party, he'd be the first guy with a lamb sheet on his head saying I love you guys.
Speaker 4: You know, he was very modern. He was very modern. I think he'd fit right in for sure. The other thing that it means to me is Richard Saunders. The name itself is also the name of a very prominent Australian skeptic, Oh really, Yeah, he has a podcast called The Skeptic Zone. And so every time I would read that name while I was reading your work, I kept kept thinking about the Richard. I know. So that's just kind of amusing. But so that happens, and that sort of destroys leeds reputation in that time period.
Speaker 5: Right, well, by the time of the revolution, what you have is this situation. You have Daniel Lee to you know, prominent citizen publisher, was activists in the middle of lots of things being called evil and Satan's harbinger by the Quaker majority. Then his son comes along who is accused of being a ghost and a sorcerer resurrected from the grave. So by the time of the revolution, the leads devil is this figure. It's not a monster, it's a figure of political ridicule because the Lead's family has made the rather unfortunate choice of siding with the Empire. One of the political things that daniel Leed is involved with is in see up until seventeen hundred, what is today called New Jersey, originally called Novo says Areat, was actually two jerseys, East Jersey and West Jersey. And you'll still sometimes people will still refer to the Jerseys. That's because it was basically split into the East Jersey sort of centered wrapped around New York and West Jersey kind of wrapped around Philadelphia. But in seventeen oh one, the Queen of England decides to turn the Jerseys into a royal colony and to combine East and West Jersey into a single royal colony called New Jersey. And their first governor is this guy, Lord Cornberry Edward High, and he goes down in history as one of the most despised governors in New Jersey history. Now, if you know anything about New Jersey history, that's no mean feat still, and he's infamous for being a kind of spendthrift who, you know, would take raise taxes and use taxes for his own his own pleasures. And even more interesting, he was accused of being a cross dresser.
Speaker 4: That's a strange accusation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it was, But we now know that both of those accusations of him being politically corrupt in a cross dresser were Slanders told about him by anti government pundits at the time. There's a famous portrait which still to this day hangs in the New York historical society. This very strange portrait of a person in kind of flowery blue dress colonial your address, and your first thought when you look at it is that's either a really feminine guy or a really ugly woman. And it supposedly was a portrait of Lord Cornberry in drag, but we now know that it's not. It's not of him at all. It's in fact that Peyton has no connection to to hide whatsoever. Again, these were Slanders put up against him, and Leeds was one of Cornberry's counselors, so as far as and Corbet was an anti Quaker as well. And so you have all these things stacking up against the Leads family. They're anti Quakers, they're pro British, they're pro monarchy, you know. And the Revolution comes along. So the concept of the Leads devil is meant to be like a political insult.
Speaker 4: Wow, So how does it transform from being a political insult to a winged monster? How does that happen?
Speaker 5: Right? Well, that happens very subtly. By the early nineteenth century, you know, the Revolution's over and now we enter what historians American historians refer to as the early Republic early nineteenth century early eighteen hundreds. By then, the Leads Devil legend is all but extinct. The Leeds family is still there, but they're not really movers and shakers anymore, and it just becomes as kind of local curiosity that no one believes in and nobody even talks about or even knows about for the most part. Then at the end of the nineteenth century, something interesting starts happening in and around the sort of Burlington Atlantic City area and the Leeds Point. There's still a location in New Jersey called Leeds Point, which was owned by the Leeds family. Was actually a survey by Daniel Leeds, and he handed it down to his sons, his kind of family seat, and it's still called Leeds Point, and that's the spot that most people associate with the Jersey Devil. Most of these ghost hunter types when they want to go look for the Jersey Devil, they head down to Leeds Point and then stumble around in the woods for a while and find nothing AnyWho. So by the end of the nineteenth century, reports start coming out of strange footprints in the snow. And there is a dime museum in Philadelphia called the Ninth in Arch Street, Dye Museum, which was fairly popular. It would have weird animal acts and you know, two headed babies and jars. The then proprietor, guy named Charles Bradenbaw is actually sort of a pioneer. He's one of the first people to start showing movies publicly and charging people to come in and see movies. And he hears about this, and his press agent is a guy named Norman Jeffries, who when he hears these stories about the footprints and then he starts hearing these old legends about the Leads Devil, the light bulb goes off over his head and he thinks, jackpot, and he starts planting stories about a monster that wanders around in the woods called the Leads Devil, and it's the Leads Devil which is leaving all these footprints. And he even goes so far is to mount ghost hunting expedition. And at one point in the side, this is about nineteen oh five nineteen oh nine, they say, well, we have to have something to show people, because we can put something in a cage. In the cage in the museum, we can charge people to come in and look at it. So they get a guy from Albany, New York, who has a kangaroo. They rent the kangaroo. They paint stripes on the kangaroo and then attach little wings to the kangaroo's back, and they stick it in a cage and put it on stage, and then they charge people coming to look at it. And they have a little kid sitting behind the curtain with a long stick with a nail in it, and every time a group of rubes comes in, the little kid jabs the poor kangaroo with the nail, and that, of course makes the kangaroos start yelping and jumping around, and that scares people. And now you have an actual Leads devil, and so this becomes kind of popular. Stories about it are reprinted as far away as Michigan and Oregon. And what also is now beginning to happen is that while most people still using the old term Leads devil, what you're now starting to see is the term Jersey devil.
Speaker 4: Interesting and and it just goes from there.
Speaker 5: Now people start to saying, oh, yes, every time someone goes out to their barn in the backyard and the lawn mower has been moved, the door has been left open, Oh my God, it's Jersey Devil's been here.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: From there just sort of snowballs to the point today where you know, people think it's an actual monster running around the woods.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You know, I think your background in both studying cryptozoology and evolution, you probably are aware of the number of creationists based cryptozoological research groups.
Speaker 5: They are sure fascinating area.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I find interesting is if they wanted to find a monster that was going to actually be a problem for evolution, they devil is a fantastic one because it doesn't really conform to any of the known families of animals because it has you know, four lambs plus wings.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So well, I always tell people, you know, if you if you want to know what the Jersey Devil looks like, just just imagine if Pegasus went over to the dark side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, right, right, exactly, very skinny. There's some great pictures out there or drawings of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But but people have have turned what is essentially, uh, I guess, a propaganda creature into a folklore creature, and now into a I guess some people actually think is a real animal. And I've seen a lot of stories about different animals that might have caused the Jersey Devil. But that's kind of trying to fit a plausible natural world expert nice for something that really doesn't need one, right, Right, So.
Speaker 5: It begins as a political scapegoat and then it turns into a monster.
Speaker 4: Yeah. In fact, I like the way in your article you talked about, well, you know what could have been the basis for this. Did the Leeds family actually have a lot of kids? Did they have a a birth that was a deformity of birth?
Speaker 5: Well, that's a that's a legitimate question to ask. And I asked the same thing because I've done work on I've researched and I've written on on human monsters in the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, and a lot of these were genuine what then were being called monstrous births. That's considered politically incorrect. Now we say, you know, birth defects. So what I did was and again this is this is one of the things that to all my cryptosology friends out there and future cryptosoologists who were listening to this, or we'll listen to this in the future, you need to learn how to do research. Most of these monsters you will find in libraries, not out in the woods. And one of the things that, as I said before, when the first things a historian does when they research a topic like this is we go look for the paperworkf we go look for the documentation, we go look for the text. So I said, well, if this thing is based on some actual monstrous birth that occurred in the pine barren, there would have to be some sort of record of it somewhere. So I began skimming through the collections of doctor records, some of which go back to the colonial era, and I didn't find anything about a monstrous bird. Now that doesn't mean nothing happened. Those records may have been lost. But what I found, the more convincing evidence I found was this political angle rather than an actual biological angle.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly. And it's one of those things where there may be a plausible natural explanation, but she actually had to go back and say, wait a minute, did it really even happen?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: And I think that's a really important lesson to learn when you're going to be a researcher or you know. And so, as you were researching the case, did you go through some of the paranormal and cryptozoological literature and was any of that helpful.
Speaker 5: No, it really wasn't. There's a there's tons of stuff out there online and in print about the Jersey Devil, and most of it is it's really not good. It's most of it is just rehashing stuff that's been said a million times without ever checking, including some people who should know better. I'm always disappointed by the quality of most writing on monster legends that's out there, because I think part of the problem is monster hunters, like ghost hunters. I have a lot of respect for cryptozoologists. I know some. I know a lot of cryptosiologists. Some of them are really just fantastic, and they don't deserve the bad reputation that they're that they're less skillful peers, uh, get them to be tarred with. But most cryptos wologists don't really know how to do research. They are attracted to the notion of running around the woods, finding a biological entity and throwing a net over it. But that hasn't worked ever. Yeah, it really hasn't. These things are these things are so interesting and they should be I've said this before in my writings and otbed pieces and things that I think it's important that people do go out there looking for things, because that's how you find stuff. But they need to go out there with some kind of training, you know, learn how to do research, learn what historian does, learn what an anthropologist does, and you'll you'll get much better results.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's an excellent point. In the we talked a Munstruck a lot about going back to case zero and trying to find out where the first claims come from, and that's a part of the same process. And and again I agree with you as well. There are some really solid researchers out there working on cryptozoology, and then there's unfortunately, because of the nature of there's no certification. There's no really you don't have to have any qualifications become evolved. There's a lot of people who fancy themselves and call themselves cryptozoologists and sort of sully the name and cause it to become, you know, a pseudoscience, right which you know, any science. And I think that's probably why there are other terms that scientists like to use because they don't want to call themselves that eth nobiogy.
Speaker 5: I don't really see this is going to sound funny coming from someone like me, but I don't really see cryptusiology as a pseudoscience. Go on, well, you know you're what what is what is the at the at its core, what is the meaning of science is to pursue the unknown, is to look forth figure out how the universe works.
Speaker 4: Isn't isn't the issue of whether or not they're using plausible scientific methodology to.
Speaker 5: Pursue Yeah, well that's where it becomes a little icy. You know, a temperature gauge is absolutely no help in finding.
Speaker 4: Ghosts, I would agree.
Speaker 5: You know, all the infrared cameras in the world have not have yet to show us Bigfoot it. At this point, it just seems a useless exercise. And there is so much potential in cryptozoology, and I think that's what frustrates me about it. If you're out there in the woods running around chasing something like the Jersey devil, even if you have some scientific training, if you have some historical training, you're out there in the field. You could be learning things about the ecology of the pine barrens, for example, which could be really useful. You could learn about the the migration habits of animals in the Pacific Northwest while you're looking for big Foot, and you could actually make contributions in the in the in the book that I wrote recently, which is now this month, is out in paperback.
Speaker 4: Does that have a lower cover price, Yes, it does, fantastic. We'll put a link to the show notes.
Speaker 5: One of the things I talk about is how you know this relationship between professionals and amateurs, which has a long tradition along and healthy and revered tradition science and in history of amateurs doing things. It's being an amateur is not in and of itself the problem. A lot of a lot of the greatest discoveries in science and history have been done by amateurs. I mean, Charles Darwin was an amateur. He was not a professional scientist, you know, to show just one example, but the early biologists, early geologists, early ornithologists, while they were running around searching for various things, they created sciences, they created techniques, they created philosophies of how you do science. And the cryptosoologists really have not contributed anything to the scientific message.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's saba true.
Speaker 5: But you know which is unfortunate.
Speaker 4: Well, and I think, I mean, I think criticisology as a field can have a really positive impact, right as far as fostering a sense of wonder, But then you have to I think, and I don't want to see. This is not meant as an insult, but you need to eventually get the maturity to realize there are better methodologies for doing investigations and perhaps better topics to work on.
Speaker 5: Right and running around the woods with infrared camera saying there are squatches about every time you hear a twig snap? Is this not helping?
Speaker 4: Now? No, I would agree, Although you know there's the U. Those guys are on TV and they're stars, so that's it has some cultural place, you know, But I don't think it has a place in science.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: So well, they'll laughing all the way the banks, So who am I? Right?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 4: So, So, now that you've killed the Jersey Devil, thanks a lot. What are you working on next?
Speaker 5: Well, the project I've been working on which I sort of put aside to do this Jersey Devil thing, because I'm working on a booklen version of it with a colleague of mine Atane, doctor Frank Chazposito. And but the but the thing I was working on before that, in which I'm hoping to get back to, is tentatively titled Darwin and the Monsters and it's a kind of wide ranging synthetic study of the engagement with monstrous creatures, both real and imagine that's been going on since Aristotle and how that you know, up until recently. You know, when we think about cryptozoology today, most people immediate think, oh, that's just fringe crackpot stuff. But up until the mid nineteenth century, monster studies was a part of mainstream science. Everyone thought this was important. Everyone from Darwin back to Aristotle thought that monstrous creatures were real and that if you studied them you could learn a lot about generation, you could learn about heredity, and eventually you could learn about the mechanics of evolution. And so that's what I'm working on, the study of the story of how the search for monsters by these all these people down for the ages are contributed to modern evolution theory.
Speaker 4: Neat that sounds really interesting. I look forward to seeing whatever fruit comes from that research.
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully it'll be done sooner rise than later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know that feels well. You know, we always like to ask what's your favorite monster? Has yours changed? Or what? These days? What is your favorite monster?
Speaker 5: I shouldn't have this. I'm gonna have to stay with werewolves.
Speaker 4: I don't blame you. I can't stop studying them. I really need to finish up my research. So after I talked to Jay Smith, I had this question, which was, why is it why is it that modern legends of the Beast or tabled on have a character hunting down the beast with a silver bullet? It doesn't really it's just unusual because there's actually nothing about that in the original, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: That's a product of twentieth century cinema exactly.
Speaker 4: So I decided to see if I could find out because he had not actually tracked it down to its point of origin. And I believe I've nailed it, but I haven't actually written it up into an article yet. So but it was a fascinating bit of research because all the way back to you have to consider, well, if the stories of where wolves go back to Greek mythology, well then you can't really have silver bullets before you have guns, right, so, and silver really doesn't come into play until much much later. But the origin of the magic silver bullet I found to be just as fascinating as trying to track down where it came into play in the Javidon legion and.
Speaker 5: Well, within medical astrology, silver was seen as an elixir. It was, it was, it may have come from that. That may be the origins of it.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't want to spoil it.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll shut up.
Speaker 4: Well, you know it's that historians. Well, you know what's going to happen is is it's going to end up having to be two different articles because I found so much research on the magical properties of silver. Uh, and then I was trying to just from my personal interest that you know, there's this whole pseudoscience around silver as a medicinal agent, and people take colloidal silver, which doesn't seem to have any real medical benefits except that if you overdose on it, or a dose over time, you'll turn your skin permanently blue and look like a smurf. Right, it's toxic, it is, it is. And so you have to like differentiate between the real world antibacterial properties of silver and the sort of mystical magical properties of silver. And that's tricky stuff because silver does actually have antimicrobial properties in certain forms, if it's like if it's like they use it in nanoparticles with an ionic charge and then it can actually kill bacteria. But that's not what the mystics and new agers are saying it does, and that's not the way they're applying it, right, And so that really has enough material to be its own whole research project in its own article as well.
Speaker 5: Well, we could do a whole show on alchemy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, I love alchemy. We did one on the homunculus and touched on that a good bit.
Speaker 5: I should teach a course on the history of alchemy. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think you may have actually helped me get in touch with the right person for the homunculus, so that that turned out to be just fantastic. And I do I'm fascinated by alchemy and the medieval ages, and I just did it finish up an interview with a guy named Asa Mittman, who is, for all practical purposes, a monster ologist. It's really fascinating. He does a lot of research on the the cultural history of he's an art historian, but he really loves monsters and has written and collected a lot of essays on the role of monsters and culture. And yeah, but this is such a fun topic and the silver in the Werewolves good stuff. Thanks for visiting with me, Brian. It was really fun to have you on monster Thanks for listening to another episode of Monster Talk. I'm your host, Blake Smith, and you've been listening to Keen University history professor Brian Regal discuss his new research on the true history of the Jersey Devil. A version of Brian's research will be in an upcoming issue of Skeptical Inquirer magazine, and the longer but very enjoyable, peer reviewed full version of his research will be appearing in an upcoming issue of the journal New Jersey History. I would encourage you to seek out both. They're both easier to find than the Jersey Devil. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The opinions expressed on this show are those of myself, my guests, and of course my alien overlords. These opinions are not necessarily those of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. And remember you can't have an opinion without an onion and pie. If you enjoy Monster Talk, please take the time to go door to door in your city and tell everyone that they should subscribe. It only takes a few weeks and you'll meet new friends and catch new diseases. But if you don't have time for that. Please give us a review on iTunes and share links to the show via social media. And if you hate Monster Talk, please send me a really long letter with your suggested changes and some Powerball tickets you never know. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Hungry for more skepticism Want to learn the truth about the scientific country verses of our time, then subscribe to Skeptic, the quarterly magazine Stephen J. Gould called the best journal in the field. To subscribe visit skeptic dot com today.
Speaker 4: You know that. Okay, that's so funny that you said that. I was reading a book the other day and they said that the real phrase Liberaci used to say was I'm crying all the way to the bank, which makes more sense. But I always say laughing all the way to the bank too. I don't know why