Speaker 1: And now your host for Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, Tam Case.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. Hope you're doing well on this Friday afternoon. Your Los Angeles Dodgers are hitting the road at eighty seven and fifty nine on this season, first place atop the NL West. After a day off yesterday, to travel to the South or in Atlanta this afternoon to start a four game wrap around series, landing Knack on the Mounta in the series opener, first pitch coming up at four twenty. Coming up over the next hour plus here on Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, we got a lot to get to. We're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts, who's gonna give us the very latest on the Dodgers injuries. We'll have an injury report, including update on Tyler Glass now who is scheduled to throw a sim game today. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David vas Sego's one on one with former Dodger Carl Crawford, who is there in Atlanta for the weekend. We'll check in with DV throughout the show. Of course, shortly we will check in with Kirsten Watson and Tommy Edmund. We got a chance for you to win the sweet tickets to an upcoming Dodger game at Dodgers Stadium in our Zency Sweet Life Challenge that's coming up in just over thirty minutes, And in just a few minutes we'll head out to the gallupin Motors broadcast with it here from Tim Nevert and Rick monday Well. On Wednesday at the Ravine, it was home run derby for the Dodgers. Is a bailed out Bobby Miller who went four to third innings. He gave up six runs on five hits while walking four. He got into trouble with two outs in the first, giving up an RBI single and then Michael Bush and RBI double in the Chicago Cubs led two to nothing, but in the bottom of the first inning, the leadoff batter Show Hey Otani.
Speaker 3: Here's a one too, and o'tani belts this one to right center field in date this one.
Speaker 4: Heading back, it's gone a line time out of here.
Speaker 5: In the home run seats.
Speaker 4: An absolute laser beam for show Tony and it's home run number forty seven. For the big show show hal Tony, Oh, he lights up this crowd.
Speaker 5: It is a two to one score.
Speaker 3: Now o' tony is at forty seven home runs, at forty seven stolen bases in the hunt for fifty to fifty show.
Speaker 2: Hey Otani leads off the first with a home run his forty seven. Dodgers cut the deficit in half, down two to one. Still in the bottom of the first, Tommy Edmond a two run home run, Dodgers a three to two lead. Will Smith the very next batter, a solo home run, Dodgers up forty two. Max Mounsey then came up with the breath of fresh air moment of the game.
Speaker 5: Two picks swung on, hit high in the air and the right. This ball's back and the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: For the second time this year, gone pack to pack to pack.
Speaker 3: In the first sitting, the home run hat trick Max Monthly home run number four.
Speaker 4: It is five to two Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Can you believe this.
Speaker 3: Dodger Stadium going crazy?
Speaker 1: Right now here? In at first inning?
Speaker 2: Max Mounsey makes it back to back to back home runs for the Dodgers. In the bottom half of the first inning, they set a franchise record with four home runs in the first inning to take a five to two lead. That's the breath of fresh Air moment of the game, presented by a Tara Mechanical. Looking for reliabel heating and air conditioning services in southern California. A Tar Mechanical is your trusted partner. Say hi to Omar and Brittany, the founders. Their service is more than just a solution. It's a breath of fresh air. From the moment you call to the completion of your project. A Tar Mechanical delivers friendly, honest service at a fair price. Dodgers were on their way to a big win on Wednesday night. They were up five to three going to the bottom half of the third inning with Show Ayotani in a two run single. Dodgers up seven to three when the duels fell off for Bobby Miller. In the top half of the fifth inning, Cody Bellinger, a three run home run made it a seven to six game, and then Peter crow Armstrong out of Harvard Westlake High School touched up Daniel Hudson and RBI single and we were tied at seven after five. Fast forward to the seventh inning, Dodgers with the runners on tye ballgame, Gavin Lux an RBI single that gave the Dodgers an eight to seven lead, Tommy Edmond a two run home run. Yet the same Tommy Edmon who had a two run home run in the first, It's another one in the eighth that was huge to give the Dodgers a ten to seven lead. In the ninth inning, Michael Kopek walked the bases loaded. Two batters later, a run scores with a sack fly a ten to eight Dodgers lead, and that's how it would end. Dodgers hang on for a ten to eight win over the Cubs. On Wednesday, they win the final game of the series. Now eighty seven and fifty nine the Dodgers with the lead in the NL West. The Dodgers looking to get that magical number down yet again. Is there at Atlanta tonight for the start of a four game rap around series in the south Land and Knack on the mount of the series opener, first bitch coming up at four to twenty and with more we head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth as we say hello and welcome in Rick Monday, Tim Never Guys, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Tim.
Speaker 3: Overcast here in Atlanta did rain when the Dodgers arrived here last night, and some scattered rain around the area today right now looking okay, just to overcast skies as we get ready for Game one of this four game wrap around series the Dodgers and the Atlanta Braves. The Dodgers come into this series with a record of eighty seven and fifty nine. They swept the Braves in May, so if they win this one tonight, they will win the season series and on the tiebreaker over Atlanta. If that would come into play, it would also shrink the magic number for a postseason berth from nine all the way down to six. The magic number to win the division stands at eleven. As we get set to start this one tonight, the Dodgers five games up on Arizona, five and a half of San Diego. Meantime, the Braves are fighting for their postseason lives. They're one game out of the wild card right now, nine games back in the National League East behind the Phillies, one game behind the match Mets or eight out. Braves are nine out, seventy nine and sixty seven. For the Braves, who have lost seven of their last thirteen ball games, and well, when we look at this ball game tonight coming here to Atlanta, the Dodgers have some business.
Speaker 5: To take care of. It's a huge series for the Braves. If they have any hope really.
Speaker 3: Of trying to make the postseason, they've got to make some hay in this series. But the Dodgers need to keep on putting some wins together to keep that distance between them and the Diamondbacks and the Padres.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think being able to change a couple of things. They've had a couple of clucker games in the last homestand fank you starting to look at the last ten they're just a five and five team, And while they've hit well in that period of time, almost two seventy is a team they're eer in those ten games is just under five five and a half. So that's one area that needs to be tightened up. But that burden has really been on the starting staff, not so much of the bullpen. The bullpen has not only had a heavy workload, they have done just an absolutely outstanding John And the question is going to be in this four game series, what's the workload for the bullpen? Landon Knack will get the start tonight, his tenth start plus a couple of relief appearances for this Dodger Bulkleum. The hitting needs to continue and also the improvement to take really advantage of opportunities.
Speaker 3: Interesting comment that Dave Roberts made today on the radio and then talked about it in the Dugout just a little while ago. Regarding Sho hal Tani and pitching this year, he said that the chances are slim. His quote was, the chances are really slim, but they're not zero.
Speaker 6: Well, we don't know. Again, I think that's a broad statement, but let's look at it. He's not pitched competitively for how long. He is not thrown a simulated game this year at all. He is thrown in the outfield, and he's thrown in the bullpen. There's not been any hitters there in there. On top of it, the other biggest question is are you going to expose him even if it came around? And if it did, they would make sure that there's one hundred percent reduction in the exposure of an injury. But are you counting upon an injury free existence in the Why increase the workload when you have a guy that is just off the charts and what he has done from an offensive standpoint. But it was indeed interesting comments with the door being left open. But how wide is the door open?
Speaker 5: We don't know.
Speaker 3: We'll see that's the answer, will steek. But we will also see history perhaps on this road trip. Shoe Heytowny with forty seven home runs, forty eighth stolen bases, every time he steals a base and hits a home run, it's history. But nobody has ever had that, even fifty to fifty mark and show Heyo Towny has it within his sights?
Speaker 6: Is kind it with his sights? And speaking of sites, everybody has show Hey o'tani in their sights whenever it comes to home plate. I mean we just we marvel and we see him each and every day, but you start to look at what he has done overall. It has been absolutely incredible and interesting numbers that I saw today. If the forty seven home runs, you know, twenty of those that come on breaking pitches. The reason I bring that up, how many breaking pitches are the Atlanta Braves going to be throwing to show Hey o'tani, including tonight, that the guy that they're going to be facing throws six different pitches, and he relies upon a lot of chases of breaking pitches.
Speaker 3: Spencer Schwellenbach, the right hander at five and seven going for the Braves, land and neck pitching for the Dodgers. He is two and three game one of those four game set in Atlanta at Truest Park between the Dodgers and the Braves.
Speaker 2: Coming up, Tim, all right, thank you very much, guys, Dodger fans, cunt you down the first pitch game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza chick and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, We're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We will check in with David Vaz say your chance to play the zench sweet life challenges coming up. Will dive deeper to this pitching matchup. But up next you're o Tawi rewine An. We'll hear from Tommy Edmond. Oh, just two home runs and Wednesday's win over the comes. That's it.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 2: We're leading you up to first pitch from Atlanta. It's a Dodgers and Braves. Thanks for being with us on this Friday afternoon. I'm Tim Kasi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It is Lorongo Casino Dodgers on the Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Braves from Atlanta, the start of a four game series landon Nack Spencer Schwellenbach. The pitching match up. First pitch from the South coming up in four twenty is.
Speaker 1: The Otani ree.
Speaker 3: Why there's a one two and O'tani belts this one the right center field in DP. This one heading back, it's gone a line drive on a here into the home run seats, an absolute laser beam for show Hail Tony, and it's home run number forty.
Speaker 4: Seven for the Big Show Show hal Tony.
Speaker 3: The Clemente family usually Luis and Bobby Junior.
Speaker 5: There goes Otani down to second and he's.
Speaker 3: Say, show Hey, one for one walk last time up Homer to the first time and.
Speaker 5: He bangs one up the middle for a basic.
Speaker 3: Here comes Monthly in the score Rojas right behind him.
Speaker 4: It is a two out, two run single for show Hey, O'tani and the Dodgers lead at seven to three.
Speaker 2: Show Hey Otani goes two for four the home run the three ribis on base three times, including a walk home run number forty seven now stolen based number forty eights for show Hey Otani and the Otani Rewind brought to you by Eto ans Oyo jud Japan's number one Green Tea and the Tea that Showyotani loves and drinks available our local Diso stores, Amazon at etowin dot com. That's I t O e n dot com. Showey Otani had himself a night on Wednesday as the Dodgers as a group hit five home runs, four in the first inning. Tommy Edmund hit two home runs on Tuesday Night, comes back on Wednesday against the Cubs, hits a two run home run of the first then hits a two run home run in the eighth inning to help out the Dodgers with some insurance runs as they go on and win at ten to eight. And afterwards, Tommy Edmund talked to the media, I think this.
Speaker 7: Past homestand like, we've had some crazy games, so you know, getting some rest is always nice, but it's not really an optics. We're traveling out to Atlanta, but yeah, I know, it has been nice to have a string of a couple of good games in a row, just you.
Speaker 3: Know, hitting wise, what you have four homers in twenty four hours, what's really working for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know if I've ever done that before in my life, but you know, I feel like I've kind of gotten locked into a pretty good routine in the cage, you know, really working on uh the mechanics and and having consistent movements in my swing, and I think the results are paying off.
Speaker 8: And we did it from both sides, right mm hmm, yep, yep, both sides.
Speaker 7: Kind of working on a couple of different things from from each side of the plate, but I think I'm doing a good job.
Speaker 8: Of becoming more consistent from each side. Do you ever work from both sides of the plate in one game? No, that was my first one. First time.
Speaker 7: I'd had a few where it was either too righty or two lefty, but that was the first right and left. That same part when you're kind of locked in from one side, like your three or three home runs righty and then but you're you're maybe struggling a little bit left handed, like to just keep that consistency, Yeah, I think being a switch hitter is is definitely tough because it's it's kind of rare to be completely locked in both right handed and left handed at the same time. So that's kind of why it's it's tough to have those games where you home, we're both righty and lefty, but you know, hopefully I can uh become locked in from both sides of the play.
Speaker 5: Now, how incredible is it to watch show?
Speaker 6: Hey, you've been able to do it here for the last.
Speaker 7: Month or so, but but yeah, pretty much it Yeah, I mean each day he does something, you're like, I've never seen anyone do that before.
Speaker 8: You know, the the day game on.
Speaker 7: Sunday, the ball you hit off like the glass and right field and then that was one of the lowest home runs I think I've seen it. I think it's like nineteen degrees off the bat.
Speaker 8: He just he crushes the ball. And to do that and steal as.
Speaker 7: Many bases as he as he is too is pretty incredible.
Speaker 5: Are you excited for him? Fifteen fifty?
Speaker 9: I mean, obviously it helps the team, so you're probably excited, night sense, But for a guy to do that.
Speaker 8: And for you to be on the team and watch it Yeah, Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 7: I mean, never been done before, and I mean he does things that you know, nobody's ever done before on a on a daily basis, and you.
Speaker 8: Know, to get to see it is up close is really special.
Speaker 7: Time. No, I've if I could hit a ball one hundred and eighteen miles an hour, I'd I don't know, that'd be crazy. But yeah, I'm just I'm honestly kind of trying to learn from him, just just seeing the way he goes about it day to day business.
Speaker 8: And yeah, it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 7: You know, he's very consistent and same demeanor throughout, and I think that's why there's a good players.
Speaker 8: At this point of the season with the new team.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I mean it's it's I think it's just a huge blessing to be back on the field.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: I obviously I had the surgery in the off season and I didn't really know what my season would look like. And to get traded here and the think of a playoff race and and to be able to contribute like this is is a huge blessing. And you know, if I looked back a couple of months ago, I would have had no idea what my season would have looked like So I'm just glad, glad to be here and part of.
Speaker 8: Such a great team.
Speaker 2: Glad to have Tommy had been in a Dodger uniform, no doubt about that. Brought to you by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car, Dodger fans. Donate it today in your car could be picked up tomorrow. Donate now Cars for Kids dot Org decks cars with a K still to come here on Dodgers on Deck. We're gonna preview this pitching matchup with Landed Neck on the mound, David vat Seg goes one on one with Carl Crawford. We'll check in with DV coming up. It just a little bit, got your magical moment coming up. You got your chance to win sweet tickets, but also next your injury report and we'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts lead. You have to Dodgers and Braves on this Friday afternoon, first pitch at four twenty from Tim Katson's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Cassino Dodgers Hunts on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck continues on this Friday afternoon Marongo Casino Resort and Spa, a Grand Slam for good times, Dodgers and Braids from Atlanta. First pitch coming up at four twenty.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Clayton Kershaw on the IL with the turf toe and his big left toe, Joe Kelly on the IL with the right shoulder inflammation, Gavin Stone on the IL with the elbow inflammation. Tyler Glassteal. More on him coming up, but just a moment. He was supposed to throw a sim game today with the right elbow tend Tonight is Dave Roberts kind of an update and more on that also with David Vasse coming up in just a little bit, Let's head back to Atlanta and here from the Dodgers Getbird.
Speaker 1: Questions for Dave, Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 5: Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 1: In the dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 9: We heard that Tyler did not participate in his simulated game. Can you give us any details on why he.
Speaker 10: Just felt some discomfort in his arm and felt that we had to cut it short and couldn't go through with the sim game. So obviously it's a setback. I don't know what that means as far as the coming days. I do know that we're just going to kind of reassess and CEI feels over the next couple of days and see when we can pick up the throne again.
Speaker 9: Is that the first time you've experienced a picture warming up and you guys have everything set up and at that point he can't.
Speaker 10: Go no, no, That's happened numerous times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was when he was warming up, like in a pen, he started to feel it.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep.
Speaker 10: He was warming up throwing the pen and and honestly from the outset he felt good, and then I was I was there.
Speaker 11: It looked good.
Speaker 10: And then when he got to kind of throw, you know, twenty three, twenty four, it just started to not feel good. And then he was smart in the sense of, you know, cutting it short so he didn't put himself in harm's way.
Speaker 12: Is he gonna go adminish your guys office waving me back this season?
Speaker 10: It's certainly not helpful and positive, but you know again, we'll see how he comes in tomorrow, and it's certainly not dead. But just today I thought we made the right decision. If he didn't feel well enough to continue, there's no sense in pushing it today. I know he's in with the training staff, so I don't know. I'm sure there's gonna be some testing gonna be done.
Speaker 8: And it was like twenty pitches in.
Speaker 10: The whole I think it was, so I think right around he probably end up throwing about twenty five picks something like that, right, and is kind of somewhere in his arm or mean more, yeah, somewhere in his arm, not shoulder, But I don't know if it's.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the same.
Speaker 5: It's going pretty head to begin with it.
Speaker 12: Yes, you can get it said, you're going to reassess everything, but given you know his past stuff with the forum and out going out of this stuff, like how much do you weigh that into you know, his ability the rest of the way.
Speaker 10: It's a big part of the equation, and so obviously where we're at the calendar and all that stuff, but his health is most important. How we build him up, how we get them pain free. All those are conversations that he's got to have with the training staff and see where we're at. So all I know right now is that we just couldn't finish the simulated game today. So that's telling in a lot of senses.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Dave Roberts with the latest so not good news about Tyler Glass now discomfort still in his right arm and who was supposed to throw the same game. More on that from David Veasse and what this means moving forward with dv Coming up in just a little bit, Dave Roberts down the dugout brought to you by Service Titan. Dave Roberts is a Titan in his own right, and he's got a plan before his team hits the field. You need one too for your growing contracting business. Let Service Titan help you implement it. Learn more at Service Titan dot com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll hear from David VESSI don't forget coming up at about ten minutes your Zinchet Sweet Life Challenge to lead you out to first pitch from Atlanta Dodgers and Braves of Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino, Dodgers on deck on your home for the blue all Season Law.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Braves on this Friday afternoon. Landing Neck and Spencer Schwellenbach. You're pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at four twenty. This umpiring crew for today's game is brought to you by Fred Loyer Insurance, celebrating fifty year of providing reliable and affordable car insurance for you and your family.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 5: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David Bassi.
Speaker 2: All right, DV lots to get to here. Let's start off with Showy O'tani. A lot of buzz in the last forty eight hours about a possible return to the mound this season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, all season long.
Speaker 9: Tim Dave Roberts says shut down any suggestions that o'tani would pitch at any point in time during the regular season or even in the postseason. Then today he went on his weekly national radio appearance and left the door open that he would not put anything past o'tani, including pitching in the postseason.
Speaker 5: So we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 9: But obviously the Dodgers are a lot thinner today than they were two months ago with their pitching staff, and it feels like to be able to get through October, they're not going to be able to lean on just one or two guys. They're going to have to use a whole staff to cover the innings that it will take to be able to get to.
Speaker 5: The World Series and win the World Series. And who knows.
Speaker 9: I guess Otani now is possibly in those plants. I wouldn't consider him a starting pitcher. If he does come back to pitch, I could see him pitching one, maybe two innings max in a postseason game if they desperately needed it. And I don't believe we'll know until we get there. I feel like it's going to be one of those situations similar to when Clayton Kershaw would leave the Dodger dugout and walk to the bullpen in a playoff game and all of a sudden, the antennas go up all right, here we go, Kershaw's available out of the bullpen. It feels like that would be the type of scenario and we wouldn't find out until it was happening.
Speaker 2: David has driven by Ford it there's one thing we like its choices, find yours with the Ford one fifty gas hybrid all electric tough, this mark can only be called F one fifty. We heard Dave Roberts talk about Tyler Glass now in the same game that never happened. Dave, how much of a setback is this? And what else do we know?
Speaker 5: Huge setback?
Speaker 9: And I remember Dave Roberts was asked who he thought had a better chance of pitching for the Dodgers in October and he said, back then two weeks ago, it would be Yamamoto. Well, he obviously knew something because Yamamoto looked fantastic in his first game back last week at Dodgers Stadium. And here we are with Tyler Glass now having a huge setback.
Speaker 5: I feel like if.
Speaker 9: He does not get on the mound again on this road trip to throw a simulated game, the chances of him being available for the NLDS are considerably lower than they were yesterday. And I would I would definitely put it in doubt that he would be available to pitch the rest of the year if he does not throw a simulated game on this road trip.
Speaker 2: All right, Dave switching gears. Freddie Freeman celebrated on a birthday yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he did.
Speaker 9: And he's back in Atlanta, where he called home for a number of years. He still has a home here in Atlanta, and he did celebrate with eighteen members of his family who flew out from Los Angeles to be able to celebrate with him and his oldest son. Charlie's birthday is on Sunday, so they're going to have a birthday party for Charlie at the house tomorrow. And Freddie was still lamenting the fact that he's in a little bit of a slump, and he said, you know what's great about a slump, You've got to get a hit at some point. So he's looking to feel right back at home in a place he won the twenty one World Series with the Braves.
Speaker 2: All Right, Dave, you've done a little snooping around and you found out exactly what Clayton Kershaw told Yamamoto a couple days ago in that meeting in the bullpen.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, I guess I wish it was a little bit more dramatic than the way Kerr told.
Speaker 5: It to me.
Speaker 9: He said, all I told him to do was release the curveball a little further out in front of him and talking to Japanese reporters that wanted to know what Kershaw said. They told me, Yes, not a big deal for Kershaw, but it meant the world to Yamamoto. So it's how you look at it. And for Yamamoto, he certainly appreciates the suggestion and the tip because he believes that really made his curveball effective in his first start back since June fifteenth.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. He looked good. Hopefully more of that coming here in the rest of September and October. DV We appreciate it. We'll check back in with you in just a couple of minutes. Dodger fans and hands, you're listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening in HD. It's all powered by la Care Health Plans serving all Angelinos Lacare dot org. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from Carl Crawford. We'll dive deeper into this bitching matchup. What I'm next your Dodgers Magical Moment Dodgers and Braves from Atlanta. First pitch on this Friday's at four twenty. I'm Tim Katsi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, it's Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: He's the Dodgers and Braves from Atlanta, the start of a four game series landed neck on the mound. We'll have deep end of the pitching matchup coming up. First pitch set for four twenty dog who wants.
Speaker 1: To It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment Ditch Magical Dodget Phone presented by Hawfy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: We go back two years ago today, September thirteenth, twenty twenty two. While they didn't take a dip in the pool in Arizona, this time around, the Dodgers, taking on the Diamondbacks, win the game and clench the division in the desert.
Speaker 13: Here's two to one line drive cough Baseman Taylor. The Dodgers shutout Arizona and the Dodgers win their ninth Division title in the past ten years.
Speaker 2: For nothing, they beat Arizona.
Speaker 13: The Dodgers now fifty five games over five hundred.
Speaker 5: This is the season that simply has.
Speaker 13: Been one of Dodger domination. They scored more runs than any other team in baseball, giving up fewer runs than any.
Speaker 5: Other team in baseball.
Speaker 13: The lowest er, the lowest batting average against, and wouldn't you know it, tonight, the Dodgers recorded their thirteenth shutout of the year, Dodger pitching ending the season with twenty five consecutive shutout innings. The Dodgers fifty five games over five hundred, and the champions of the National League Western Division.
Speaker 2: On this date two years ago, the Dodgers clinched the division in Arizona, the ninth time in ten years they win the West. This Hofeyical moment brought to by Hofey hot Dogs, a So Cal treasurer for over one hundred years. Visit hofeybrand dot com to find out where you can purchase crazy, delicious Hoffey hot Dogs. All right, who wants to live this sweet life at a Dodger game? Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. I need three contestant right now for these en sheet Sweet Live Challenge. All you do is tell me who the fresh player of the game is gonna be, and if you're correct, you're gonna win two sweet tickets to an upcoming Dodgers game. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven two five seventy lead you up to Dodgers and Braves. We'll also check in with Rick Monday when we come back. I'm Tim Kasis, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Is Lorongo Casino, Dodgers On, Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Braves going at it in Atlanta tonight, the start of a four game wrap around series that'll end on Monday. Landing Neck and Spencer Schwellenbox to pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at four one.
Speaker 1: This is the Zenchi Sweet Live Challenge. One lucky winner and a guest get to watch the Dodgers from the Zenschi Sweet all made possible by Zenchi Sushi, Fast, Fresh and easy.
Speaker 2: All right, we have our three contestants. Tell me the fresh player of the game tonight and if you're correct, you're gonna win two tickets to watch the Dodgers in the AM five seventy LA Sports Suite. Kirk is first up. Kirk, what is your guests?
Speaker 1: Uh, Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 2: Freddy Freeman. Good luck to you, Kirk. Rob is our next contestant, Rob, what is your guess.
Speaker 1: I'm going with rookie Mookie Betts.
Speaker 2: Good luck to you.
Speaker 5: Rob.
Speaker 2: Frank is our third and final contestant on this Friday. Frank, what's your guests? I'm with Max Monkey, Max Monsey, all right, good luck to you Frank, goodluck to Rob and Kirk. Are three contestants today, none of them picked. Showy Otani Okay in the Zenchy Sweet Live Challenge presented by zen she handcrafted sushi made fresh daily on site. Pick up delicious sushi before the game at Ralph's or other local suit mats near the deli counter. Still the com We'll get to the keys of the game, and we'll dive deeper to this bitch match up. Carl Crawford still to come, but first and now.
Speaker 1: Joined by David Basseying, Here's La Dodgers broadcast and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 9: Rick, the Dodgers kick off this seven game road trip here in Atlanta, and you had a good time catching up with a former Dodger and now Braves broadcaster Joe Simpson.
Speaker 6: Now one of the really good guys who understood exceptionally well. He was one of the better outfielders that you could have found. And we were talking about fundamentals of outfield play, fundamentals of throwing the ball, which sounds somewhat elementary, but it is not elementary when you're throwing from a long distance, in that being from the outfield itself, you know if the ball is tailing mechanically, not only the way you're holding the ball, you want to have a cross seams that released the ball too, but also your footwork. And Joe understood that very well and he was kind of demonstrating. But it's nice to talk to some baseball people about what appears to be things that are taken for granted, somewhat simplistic, but it means a big difference for a runners safe a out rick.
Speaker 9: You're so right about that, because a lot of people around the game believe in the minor leagues there's too much focus on only hitting and pitching. There's a lot of other parts that go into being a good baseball player.
Speaker 6: There's a reason that one team is on offense and the other is on defense, and the guy's on the defensive end of it. There's a reason they have gloves, but it's not just the gloms. What about the footwork? You can run, you can catch the ball. What do you do with it? Once you catch the ball? You have to be able to set up, understand fundamentally how you set up to make a throw and make a very good throw, and understand is that every throw that you make, you want to hit the cutoff man. Can't tag anybody out when no one has the ball, and if you miss a cutoff man, no one has the baseball.
Speaker 9: Rick I was asked earlier today what would be considered a successful road trip for the Dodgers. Isn't it just about being able to keep the parts healthy and play better and clean baseball?
Speaker 6: Yep, yeah, I think we get focused on what's the clinch state, what's the clinch date? Dave robertson the other day he said, we haven't clenched anything so far. So to get there, what do you do? You have to play good baseball. And if we look over this last homestand Dodgers did not play on a consistent basis up to the ability that they had. If they didn't have the ability, we wouldn't even be talking about it. But they had the ability in the one game. I mean it was a terrible game. Three physical errors there were some mental errors also that went to the wayside. Again. I thought it was interesting to Dave Roberts when asked in the postgame, are you going to talk to your ball club that night? And he said no, they understand what we did and did not do. He said, we'll have a couple of private conversations or just at ease conversations with players the following day. They know exactly what they have to do. As far as clinching things. Here's a possibility that they could do it on this particular road trip. But even if you clinch, where do you go from there? There are bigger issues I think than clinching Dodgers will be in postseason play. Who are they going to have on the active roster? I think those are the bigger questions than are they going to do this and are they going to clinch? Because there's some big question marks really on this ball club as to who in the pitching end of it is going to be on the twenty six man roster for postseason playing.
Speaker 9: And just being around Kershawn and Walker Buehler earlier today in the clubhouse, Rick, I get the sense they are searching, searching for different things. Kershaw's searching to get his toe healthy, and Bueller's just searching to pitch better.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, there's two other names you have to include. Bobby Miller has made two starts. I've been surprised by both the post game comments and Bobby Miller. He thinks he's pitched well and it's just good swings. Well, I think there's a correlation between bad pitches and good swings, and then we see a lot of good swings coming against bad pitches.
Speaker 8: The consistency is.
Speaker 6: Not been there. There's another big question. We may find out more about it today. Tyler glasnow was scheduled to have a bullpen session a live SIM game today. My sources say he warmed up in the bullpen, hitters were ready with helmets in hand, and then the sim game was canceled. More to come on that one, evidently, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Dave Roberts said it's a setback.
Speaker 9: He did feel pain in the same area that put him on the il, So no ways around it.
Speaker 5: This is a setback for Tyler glass.
Speaker 6: Here's my question, how do you have a sim game schedule and you understand that there's still pain was there? How did it get to that point where you go, Hey, oh, we found out today and there's still some discomfort.
Speaker 5: Feels like one day there's pain, one day there's not.
Speaker 9: It could be I'm not sure, and I'm not sure the Dodgers are quite sure how to wrap their heads around Tyler Glassnow's right elbow and his six eight body frame.
Speaker 6: At this point in time, hopefully everybody's going to be healthy, because right now it's kind of the shock.
Speaker 8: Troops are in there for.
Speaker 6: The pitching, and the bullpen has been sensation the workload that they've had.
Speaker 5: Hey, how about the guy tonight? Rick? I feel like he's the most overlooked starter.
Speaker 6: And I'm glad you brought that up because he does not pitch scared and he has answered the bell. You start to look, who's the most consistent really right now in this book? Love, you really have to like what Landon Neck has done, and especially you start to look, Okay, this is his tenth start, a couple of relief appearances. You know, he's only given up a one ninety five banning average.
Speaker 5: Against That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 9: We're focused on Bobby Miller and Tyler glassnew and Walker Buehler, while this guy who's not been on a five day routine has been pretty solid for the Dodger.
Speaker 6: You got to play with those that you got.
Speaker 9: That's right, and maybe you're not the flashiest guy, but I get the job done.
Speaker 6: Here's the question, are you done?
Speaker 5: I'm done right now.
Speaker 9: Okay, we'll be back a little bit later on the show, but for now, Tim.
Speaker 5: We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks a lot, DV Dodger fans. Start your future at a California community college. Financial aids available to help you with tuition, in the books, and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so enrolled today and I can go to college dot com. Still to come. Here on Dodgers on Deck, we got to preview this pitching matchup Rick and Timmel of the Keys to the Game. But up next we go high and tight Carl Crawford for Dodger from leading up to first pitch of Atlanta on this Friday Dodgers and Braves. I'm Tim Kasi's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunters game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Braves on this Friday afternoon, landing at Spencer Schwellenbach. The pitching matchup, first pitch coming up at four twenty. Dodgers Baseball is presented by Children's Hospital Los Angeles. When you need the very best care for your child, go to Children's Hospital LA, rank number one in California for pediatric care by the right doctor. It's c h LA dot org.
Speaker 1: David and now what will likely be vassy fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 2: It's an engagement of endearments.
Speaker 1: Its high end tight.
Speaker 9: You never know who you're gonna see at the ballpark, especially in Atlanta where the players play. And we're with one of the players right here, former Dodger, one of the great players of his generation, the one and only Carl Crawford here visiting the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: See see great to see you again.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 11: I'm glad to see you guys. You know what I'm saying. I'm glad they called me and told me to come up see see you guys. I haven't seen you guys seen what twenty sixteen. So you know, it's good to get around the game and getting the ballpark, you know it feels good.
Speaker 9: What was it like going into the clubhouse to see some of the guys that you played with. There's not too many, but there's still a few familiar faces.
Speaker 11: But the funny thing is a lot of you guys were so young when I was, when I was when I retired, that they like, oh like little grown little men into they prims now. So it was cool to see them. Man, I'm glad to see that. You know, guys that I worked with when they was young or you know, doing doing excelling and doing real well in the big league right now.
Speaker 9: Did you remember the little guy Austin Barnes. He is a second basement night as a cat.
Speaker 11: One of the we was one of the cool little ones.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 11: Him and Jack Peterson used to be side by side, you know what I'm saying. So, yeah, man, well those guys, yeah, man, Like I said, it's nice to see him and see him actually doing well.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 11: Those were some good players and I always thought they was gonna be really good players. And to see how they how they turn out, is great.
Speaker 9: Carl. You brought back some great memories, like do you remember in the clubhouse Jack Peterson looking up to you just want to leave your side the player that he's become.
Speaker 5: Did you see that when he was a rookie?
Speaker 11: Ye, I saw it, you know what I'm saying with rookie And then you know, like I said, I had to go down for a couple of thinks in the minor league. So I saw him when he was going thirty thirty in the minors, So I already knew he he had the talent to do what he's doing. Now you know he's I'm glad his personality is still the same. He still has fun to go about the game in a great way. So, uh, you know, it's good to see that he's doing well. One of my little what they say, protezades and whatnot, little brothers. Yeah, yeah, man, little bro real though, So now I'm glad to see you're doing well.
Speaker 9: When you look back your ear back at your career, what do you think about the most.
Speaker 11: I just think about just always playing and just being in different cities, meeting new people, being around the gods, and just competing. You know, that's one of the toughest things that when you've done playing, you gotta find someone else to you to take that competitive nature too. You know what I'm saying, and use those are some of the things you missed when you leave the game.
Speaker 9: When you retired from baseball, where did you channel all of that competitive design.
Speaker 11: Talented, ho talented, I can said to the music business. You know, I took I took my craft really really serious. I understood that nobody was gonna take me serious in it, and that you know, if I put together, if I put the effort like I did into baseball, like I did into any other type of enterprise, that I'll be successful. And that's that's kind of an approach I took.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you got your own record label. You're very successful, Carl Crawford.
Speaker 11: You know, it took me a lot of how to go through a lot, just like anybody starting a new business. At the end of the day, Uh, we here and I'm I got new artists that I want to put out there, and you know, I just want to watch my son play and promote new promote new new artists and do stuff like that.
Speaker 9: Your son, Justin Crawford, is rising through the Phillies minor leagues. He was one of the top picks in the Nature League draft a few years ago.
Speaker 5: How proud are you of Justin?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm I'm so proud of him because he said goes to to you know, to to beat my goals and to actually see him a compass though it was great. You know, I have a story here with one of the clubhouse here, Chico. Yeah, yeah, Chico used to be in a dugout with him when he was a kid. And I tell my I tell Justin, hey, don't you talk about money, contracts, nothing. And as soon as I leave, Chico say, he talking about me everything you told him not to. He say he gonna get that contract one day. He don't care what did Daddy say?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 11: And he did so, you know, stuff like that. You know what I'm saying, beat my time in the sixties and uh, you know what I'm saying, just just just being an all around polished player already at where he's at his career.
Speaker 9: How much do you think you bringing him to the ballpark when you were playing for the Dodgers really get gave him a couple of legs up on the rest of the kids.
Speaker 11: Always give him advantage because you know that the wild factor is gone. They come in and they like, oh well, I mean, you know, they people gonna always get excited because it's the big leagues. But you know, it makes it a little easier when you can come see a guy that you was chilling with, you know what I'm saying when you were about seven or eight, you know, and just talk to him and kind of get comfortable and uh, you know that way you can go about your business. And then he has a real business like approach. So whether whether he was in the clubhouse or now, he's gonna come in and focus. He laysers show focus.
Speaker 9: And Carl Crawford still got that signature smile. Justin looks almost exactly like you. When I see him smile, I think of you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Nah, that's cool. That's the way it's supposed to be. Man, that's my son. Even though he you know, he's like we look you know, we look more like brothers, like brothers together. So he don't like to tell people on his dad.
Speaker 9: You know, speaking of family, what about your brothers. Do you still got the barbecue going in Houston?
Speaker 11: We still got the barbecue restaurant and burn Barbecue. My brother still aroun dad. We still do all the family stuff. Yeah, and I got other kids coming up, you know, Justin didn't gonna be the only one in the big leagues. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, and then I got nephews.
Speaker 11: You know what I'm saying, Like we still have a whole feminine fellow major leagues.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's so awesome. Carl Crawford is our guest. All right, Carl, before I let you go, that's John Sue.
Speaker 5: Who John So?
Speaker 8: Who?
Speaker 5: What's up? Baby's man? Right? Your kids like thirty years old? What's going on? Man?
Speaker 11: Making me feel oh man, like Jesus So Yeah, man, it's all good.
Speaker 9: You were with the Dodgers for a short time, but it seems like you left such a great impression with everybody that came in contact. You had so much joy, and guys would tell me you were the funniest guy in the clubhouse.
Speaker 11: Oh no, you know, you gotta try to stay loose, so like I stay mare it's a long season and enjoy everything. When I got to La, you know, it was it was just one of those things where I was able to smile again because you know, I had just came off the stuff from Boston, so La was just like it was just the hend of note I needed at the moment. Yeah.
Speaker 9: You people ask me what you were, Like, I always tell him, I said, I would read Carl the schedule for next year and I would tell him whether or not we were going to Boston.
Speaker 11: Hey, I was able to I was able to avoid it for three years.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: So you know, hey man, I gotta looky man. But you know, like I said, I enjoyed my time in La. I wish I could have played longer, but at the end of the day, I took it for what it is worth. And uh, like I said, I really appreciate the fans in La the people, the city to town, everything. So I really enjoyed my time I stayed in La.
Speaker 9: You were at the beginning of this run of winning for the Dodgers. You were part of that when they made the trade for you and Gonzo and those guys that really started it. What have you seen from the team and what do you think they need to do to get over that hump to win it again?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 11: I think they just got to keep doing what they're doing. I ain't gonna lie, you know, since I haven't been arrived and watching it as much, but I know they've.
Speaker 5: Been seeing the old tiny show though I've been seeing that.
Speaker 11: You know what I'm saying, I want to meet that guy because he's awesome. But at the end of the day, they're gonna always win the same way we're pitching defense and timely hitting. So uh, you know, I don't see why they shouldn't take it all this year. You know what I'm saying. All right, and I'm in Houston, you know what I'm saying. I'm you know, but I know that I know what the Dodgers. I know what the Dodgers are capable of.
Speaker 9: Yo, and Carl great, seeing you great, sharing you with the fans again. Come around more often.
Speaker 11: We miss you, I do, man, just you know you finelis see me with Justin. It's just when you're starting to when you're starting any type of business and you know you want it done right, you have to be hands on with it, you know, and it takes you to kind of get stuff the way you want it. You know what I'm saying, because, like I say, you know, you gotta be a deal with the ups and downs of learning something new. And but once I get it, well, you know, selling smooth exactly how I want it, I'll be back all the way.
Speaker 9: You know, man, with all that blink it feels like things are going good for Carl Crawford.
Speaker 11: Man, I can't complain at the moment, that's all I know. I can't complain.
Speaker 9: Yes, Hey, great to see you, Carl. Thanks a lot for the time. All right, man, thanks for having me there. He is one of the greatest of his generation, the great Carl Crawford. We'll send it back to you in the studio, Tim.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks a lot, DV. Great to hear from Carl Crawford. Still doing big things out there. And keep an eye on his son Justin as he makes his way to the Major League. Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shakey's Pizza Parlor, official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game night, it's group night at shakeys dot Com. Lean you up to first pitch on this Friday, Dodgers in Atlanta to take on the Braves. Up next, we'll type deeper to this pitching matchup. Don't go anywhere. Two cases, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Tap on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 2: Dodgers hit the road to the start of a seven game road trip for stop Atlanta for a four game weekend wrap around. He starts today, ends on Monday, first pitch coming up at four twenty.
Speaker 1: And Now before the Dodgers hit the dynam we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchup presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Turning your trail dominating off roading dreams into a reality in the all new twenty twenty four Tacomas Year Toyota Dealers. Today they make it easy. Spencer Schwellenbach on the mound for the Braves five and seven with the three seventy eight Eroray, twenty four year old right hander, second round pick of the Braves out of Nebraska in twenty twenty one, where he was a two way player. He pitched and played shortstop for the Huskers. He missed twenty twenty two recovering from Tommy John surgery. He is one of their young right pitching prospects. They got a lot of them. Making his eighteen start of the season after making a major league debut back on May twenty ninthies four and three with a two to eighty six r ray over six innings per pitch in his last ten starts so He's been pretty durable since the beginning of July. Is era is ninth lowest in the National League. Last time out, a rough one six innings, ten hits, five runs in a loss to the Blue Jays. Facing the Dodgers for the first time in his career, Landed Nack on the mound for the Dodgers. The twenty seven year old right hander two and three with a three R ray, a second round pick of the Dodgers back in twenty twenty out of East Tennessee, States, making his tenth start of this season. His twelfth appearance. He's been an opener, he has been in relief. He has now been a starter for his last couple of starts, and the Dodgers want to see what they can get out of him moving down the stretch here, possibly into the postseason with all these injuries. Last time out, six innings, two runs, three hits, eight strikeouts in a losing effort to the Guardians. This is his first time ever facing the Braves. Landon Nack Spencer Schwellenbox the pitching matchup in this series. Opener Dodgers fans and Enhansherd listening experience by downloading the iHeartRadio app and listening to Dodger games.
Speaker 1: For free n HD.
Speaker 2: It's a great way to take it with you on the go on your mole device or tablet in your car. It's all powered by LA Care Health Plans serving all Angelinos Lacare dot Org. Dodgers Braves were fifteen minutes away for first pitch. Keys to the game. Our next, I'm Tim Kats's Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Braves from Atlanta, both teams fighting it out for the playoffs. Dodgers atop the NL West, the Braves fighting for a wild card spot is a trail both the Phillies and the Mets in the NL E Spencer Schwellenbach and Landon Knack. The pitching matchup Dodgers Baseball is presided brought to you by Speedy Cash, official sponsor of every l A Weekend. Find out more at Speedy Cash dot Commerce. Stopping in LA Area Speedy Cash Store. All right, let's head back out to Atlanta's head of the booth. The guys on the call tonight, Rick Monday and Tim Neveretts.
Speaker 1: Tam thanks again.
Speaker 5: We're counting it down to the first pitch.
Speaker 3: You're a truest park on an overcast evening when going out toward right field, temperatures are just fine for a baseball game. As the Dodgers and the Braves play game one of those four game set the pitching matchup. Landon Nack going for the Dodgers, he's two and three. Spencer schwellenback going for the Braves. But for Landon Knack, he pitched a week ago today, and he really has been pretty consistent. He suffered a tough loss against Cleveland, pitched well enough to get a win. The Dodgers just couldn't muster more than one run against the Guardians in that ball game. But Knack has been very consistent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he had a career high eight strikeouts in going the six innings, allow just the two runs, only three hints he gave up in that area. Here's the other thing about Landon Neck again his tenth start. He has made a couple of relief appearances this year. Overall, just a one ninety five batting average against with runners in scoring position. It's even lower than that one fifty four. He doesn't flinch when someone comes go home plate with an opportunity to knock in a run.
Speaker 3: And his the mound opponent.
Speaker 5: Eighteenth start for him.
Speaker 3: He's out of the University of Nebraska, had a rough start last time out against Toronto, allowed six runs in five innes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which pitch do you looked for? I mentioned earlier. He gets a lot of chases on breaking balls out of the strike zone, but he throws the following pitches fasketball, slider, cutter, hook, splitter, and sinker. It's also giving up twelve home runs and he's handled right handers very very well. In fact, a right hander has not walked against him since the twelfth of July. That's one hundred and nine plate appearances.
Speaker 3: He throws strikes the land and neck against Spencer Schwellenbach. It's the Dodgers and the Braves, game one of this four game series at Truest Park in Atlanta.
Speaker 5: On the way, tim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dodger's going to play tonight, first place atop the NL West. Looking to keep that pace and more with the Padres in action tonight, and of course the Dodgers keeping an eye on what they're doing in San Francisco and the Diebacks home to the Milwaukee Brewers. David Vassi's got your cover with all the postgame now. His first pitch, I'm Tim Kates, has been rong with casino doctors on deck on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network