Speaker 1: From the front lines of the mom Wars. Here's Bethany Mandel and Kara Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of your favorite podcast. My name is Bethany Mandel, and I had to go through the editorial pages of The Free Press to find a replacement for my friend Kara Kennedy, who is still on maternity leave and just left me to podcast all alone. And I picked up one of my favorite columnists ever anywhere, and then I just suckered her into coming on, and for some silly reason she said, yeah, so here we are. I am joined by kat Rosenfield. She is a calumnist for The Free Press and the author of several novels, which I was admitting. I never have someone on the podcast that I haven't read their book, but I have not you read your book, but my husband has read all of your books, and so I feel like there's like an osmosis thing that happened.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I don't know, it's no, that's how that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no. But he's a big fan. He I I the first one he bought. I was like, oh, that was nice of you, and he was like, yeah, it's actually good. And I was like, oh, that's so nice. And then he just kept reading your books and I was like, oh, it must actually be if you are going back again and again to the same Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is how I get people, you know. I write one thing they like and then they get hooked and you know, and then I get your whole family the same way.
Speaker 2: There you go. So how did you start writing like, what like novels?
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, I kind of fell backwards into it. It was two thousand and eight. The economy had imploded. I had been trying to move into being a copywriter and instead I ended up unemployed. And my husband knew that I had had a novel and a drawer, and he was like, why don't you finish that since you're not going to really have an opportunity to just work on something like that and be unemployed long term, you know, like this again, And so I did and that ended up being my first book.
Speaker 2: Amazing, amazing. And so how you've written three now or four? Shut up? Seriously? And I don't know if we own all of them, because I think we own three or four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would guess that, don't. You don't own the early work because I was a young adult fiction writer. That was where I got my start, which meant that I was a fly on the wall when everybody in that community started to lose their minds, and I ended up starting to write about that a little bit. And I don't write young adult fiction anymore for that reason, but I do have an interesting career as a culture writer also for that reason.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that is actually why. That was the intended purpose of why I had you on, because I wanted to talk about your more recent culture writings. So but now I'm remembering all of this, so rewind back to being a young adult writer and having this all on float, Like what what happened? Because I've written so much about how the literature world for kids is just like insane. Someone posted today, actually my actually she was my nears just she was my book assistant, she was my research assistant, and she posted that. In Massachusetts, there's a website for the health classes and for fourth graders. There's a graphic photo of a man enjoying what the internet has to offer in his bed. Oh this and it's like full, it's very graphic, and it's for fourth graders.
Speaker 1: I assume you mean he's watching like cooking videos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, Yeah, I try to keep this show like okay enough to keep in the background when kids are around. I don't know, I don't I mean, maybe it's just my kids. My kids have heard everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cooking videos, yeah, enjoying them in bed as one does. What happened to this? So okay? The sort of TLDR is. Around twenty fourteen, people in One's publishing and young adult fiction got very obsessed with the kind of proto ideology of what would eventually become known as woke. And it was I think initially well intentioned. You know, they wanted to see a greater diversity of stories being told by a greater diversity of people. Ultimately, though, as you know so often happens with well intentioned social justice oriented movements, this became primarily a tool for extremely grasping, opportunistic people to try to eliminate the competition in order to promote themselves professionally. And this sort of crazy orthodoxy took over in the young adult fiction space around twenty sixteen and just became very all consuming. It was very conformist. I think there are a few different reasons for this, but one of the things that really spurned the kind of changed. The change in the content of the books was partly this desire to see very certain kind of political or politically correct, progressively pious ideas being promoted. The idea was that, like we were educators, we needed to be instructing kids properly morally, we needed to like get everyone on the right side of history. This was partly about politics, but it was also, in my opinion at least partly about the fact that a lot of the people working and especially writing in children's publishing were sort of maladjusted adults who wanted to write books for the unhappy kid they had been. They had this idea that, like, you know, when I was like a gay thirteen year old or you know, or confused or awkward, if I had just had a book, you know, that showed me what I you know, what I want, what I want as an adult, that I would have been less unhappy. I think that they projected a lot of their kind of like adult anxieties and issues onto children's literature, and the books got a little weird as a result.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and that's not conjecture. I have read so many interviews with child authors and young adult authors where they say that explicitly that this is written for twelve year old me, ten year old me, eight year old me. And I see a lot of this kind of theme in I mean across the spectrum. And I noticed it when I was first in college. It was like a physician healed myself. And so everyone in a nutrition class had an eating disorder. Everyone in a psych class had their own mental struggles that they were dealing with and they were trying to fix themselves. Everyone in a communications class was autistic and could not communicate to save their lives, and that's why they were a communications major. And so I definitely have observed this in the children's literature space that it decentered the story and you know, the beauty of literature and instead became like, this is my agenda, and I'm very open about it. And not only is that annoying from you know, if you don't share that agenda, but it also just makes for bad literature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. I mean, to be a successful young adult fiction writer, you do have to have certain proximity, like emotionally and intellectually to the experience of being a teenager. But it is possible for that proximity to be healthy and that it is possible for that proximity to be unhealthy. And I think that you know a certain you don't really get to decide who gravitates towards literature for the unhealthy reason, but then their books end up getting produced, and that, yeah, is what it is.
Speaker 2: I have read, unfortunately, so much of this literature. It was funny. Actually, we were talking before we started about my cleaning lady. She's like cleaning out my counters right now and everything because it's very per past over. And she found a stack of children's books that I've used for work that I would never let my children read, and so it's funny. She found like Pride Puppy George, which was a young adult story about an individual who went from Melissa to George, or maybe it was George to Melissa, I don't remember which one. One of them. They had to change the name of the book because they dead named, and so the author apologized for dead naming her own character and making it the title of her book. Yeah, it's really painful, but I've read a lot of these books and I'm always struck by it doesn't seem like they've met a kid this age. Because George or Melissa whatever it was I can't remember was written for a kid my older two children's ages. I have my kids run the gamut from twelve down to three, and so I was reading George like, my kids would never get into this, Like has she ever read a children's book for this age? Rage Let alone met a twelve year old. I can't see my kids getting sucked in the same way they're sucked into JK. Rowling or Rick ryed In or like any of those kinds of books, because it's there's just it's flat, like it feels very prescriptive and preachy and annoying, and I wanted to shoot myself when I was reading it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is interesting how much those books tend to just not resonate with the children for whom they're supposedly intended. This was something that I thought was very interesting during the controversy surrounding gender queer Do you remember that it was like a big deal just a few years back, And that book is of course, I mean, objectively, it's pretty graphic, it's pretty inappropriate. It depicts cartoon sex acts involving a dildo. I'm sorry, we're trying to keep this family friendly and never it depicts really graphic cooking videos. It is something that was brought into libraries by adults, you know, saying, well, you know, we think it's important for kids to have access to this book. And that was really about the political anxieties of the adults who were in charge of deciding what was in the library. I mean, a big thing about so many of these books that were the subject of so much controversy, including gender Queer, is that not a single child had ever checked them out. They were just there, you know, and they were not interesting to their intended audience, and so they just became instead these kind of cultural flashpoints to do battle over, but nobody was actually reading them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just wrote a piece for the Washington Examiner this week about like an alternative library association, like who who could not get more exciting than that? But they in their mission statement they say, very plainly, like the America. I don't they don't call out the American Library Association, but effectively, this is what they're doing. They're saying, we believe unlike the other folks. They don't say that, but we believe that children childhood is a separate stage of maturity that needs to be treated as separate because one of the things that really disturbs me about, you know, the progressive takeover of libraries and the window that it gives us into this ideology is that like, they don't think that childhood is a thing. They don't think it exists. And so that line from like there to minor attracted persons is a straight through line, like there's just there's no do not pass, go, do not collect two hundred dollars. And I find it one of the most disturbing aspects of like this woke progressive ideology, that the total erasure of childhood as a distinct unit of maturity in life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a thought about that angle on things, so I can't really speak to it. But when I was writing about the sort of soft censorship that takes place in libraries through this process called weading, which is very like unilateral, you have a librarian who's just deciding what to remove from their collections or what to like remove from the display cases. And it was such an interesting thing because it had become this flashpoint. You know, we're always talking about book banning, like we're against banned books, we're for free speech, but so often the books that are being described as banned, I've never you know, there's never been any problem accessing them. They're just books that conservatives conservatives object to, whereas the books that you have trouble accessing are the ones that librarians object to. Librarians do tend to be liberal, and so there's this question of like what actually does it mean to ban a book, especially in the digital age where everything is infinitely replicable, And it's really about two things. One is, you know what is front and center at your library, which, of course you know, there's also this question like the battle for the soul of the library? Right you go in and if all you see is, you know, everything like Rainbow Pride for children in the kids section, you understand if you're a more conservative parent, more conservative person, that like, this space is not for you, which is an interesting development I don't think is great. But the other question is like, you know, what does it mean to censor? Who really has the power to censor? And my argument was that the people who are able to quietly remove books from shelves, you know, from library collections, to do so on an ideological basis, who aren't really accountable to anybody except for themselves, and who also increasingly are able to have a chilling effect on books like Back at the Source, to basically persuade authors to write differently or not write at all because they don't think that it's serving the proper political purpose. That's really where the power to censor lies in our contemporary era.
Speaker 2: I had that experience when we so Carol Markoitz and I wrote a book, Stolen Youth. It came out exactly three years ago, and so we were shopping at like four and a half years ago, like the book Proposal, And this was at that moment in time, like that snapshot where Abigail Schreyer's book was taken out of target, Ryan Anderson's book was taken off of Amazon, and then like Abigail wasn't able to advertise on Amazon as well, And we got knows from publishers that were completely understandable, like we don't think we will actually be able to have a storefront to sell your book, like your book is way more offensive than Abigail Shryer's book, and that I mean, that's the only way it will be good is if it's really offensive. It has to be a barn Burner and Abigail Schreyer's book was not a barn Burner. Neither was Ryan Anderson's. And so eventually the Daily Wire acquired it and we wrote it for the Daily Wire. And in my conversations with editors, writers, agents, everyone across the board, they said exactly what you just said, that chilling effect of like you have to fit the narrative, you have to fit the quota. One of the editors I spoke with at a major children's publishing how said, I cannot I have a literal quota system. I cannot publish a white straight man. I don't. I'm not allowed. And I think about like C. S. Lewis and all these like that, quality literature just would not exist. And so I wonder how many people just don't what we're missing in the literature world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, at this point, the question of where are the straight, white male writers is an interesting one, and I hope it's you know, somebody addresses it. I mean, it's being addressed somewhat. Jacob Savage wrote that good piece for Compact that kind of looked at some of the numbers, you know, the statistics who's being published. That's sort of outside the children's space. But it is interesting to think about how the landscape of who is being published now has changed, because there was back in twenty fourteen, which you know, it's like that was more than ten years ago. There was this sense of like, oh, well, white men had their day. You know, they they've dominated literature. It's somebody else's turn. And you know, I suppose if you go back to certain length of time you look at the American literatyah, sorry, literary landscape, you say, okay, who was being published at that time? Yeah, you're going to find a lot of straight white men. But that was like the sixties or the seventies, And at this point, the sins of the boomer literati are being visited on a generation of men who have never known, like, you know, a day in the sun. They've never experienced this sort of boogeyman of white male privilege. And I think that we're doing a little bit too much of punishing gen Z for the at this point probably like imagined sins of what men have came before them.
Speaker 2: We also don't even have to imagine that, like people are not writing these children's books anymore, because you're not writing young adult fiction anymore, would you I'll be writing this stuff if this was not the landscape, probably not.
Speaker 1: I got into Ya at a moment that I referred to as peak YA. It was right after Twilight broke out big, and there was just so much money and so much room in young adult fiction to do a lot of different stuff. And I was writing very literary fiction for young adults. So it was like basically, you know, in terms of like the prose quality and the themes, it was relatively dark, it was relatively adult. I just had teenage characters basically, and you know, it was great at that moment to be able to do that, to have the room to do that. But the landscape started contracting at that point in a way that I I don't know, I think that like because of the way things were moving, and also because of the way my interests were shifting. You know, I was already writing like basically like adult stuff fourteens, so it made more sense for me to just write for adults, even if I hadn't been pushed out, which of course I was.
Speaker 2: Hi. I'm Ben Sas and I'm Chris Steierwalt, and this is not dead yet.
Speaker 1: We're all dying, but some of us have been brought face to face with that reality.
Speaker 2: However long each of us have to do it though. We all want to live a good life, one with meaning, love and joy, and our guests are here.
Speaker 1: To help us do exactly that.
Speaker 2: Now available for download and streaming at ricochet dot com.
Speaker 1: Ricochet Yeah, join the conversation.
Speaker 2: So this podcast was basically a bait and switch because I asked you to come on to talk about Lindy West, and then we just spent half an hour not talking about Lindy West.
Speaker 1: That's okay, we can still talk about Lindy West. That's literature.
Speaker 2: Also, I know. So I think there's actually a through line here from the conversation we just had to the conversation that I intended to have, which is on Lindy West. I think it's the same Brooklyn Park Slope intellectuals who led the censorship regime NYA, who are the ones who are like I think Palliamory is great? Before we start talking about Lindy West, can you just give everyone a like cliff Notes explanation of who she is who hasn't been down the rabbit hole that you and I have been down.
Speaker 1: For the last Yeah, absolutely. You know, it's funny because for me, you know, like free speech liberal feminists who grew up in the nineties, Lindy West and I are about the same age, and so I have been familiar with her all my adult life. I've read her stuff. I used to really enjoy her work, I would, you know, makes it a little bit sad to see what's happened to her. She started out as a blogger at The Stranger, the Seattle All Weekly. She then published a memoir called Shrill that was made into a Hulu series. She was a writer at Jezebel. I just transposed those in the timeline. She was a writer at jezbel first, then she published her memoir, then the Hulu series. And she has always been like a fat activist. She's very fat. She's also very pretty. She's very unapologetic about, you know, saying that she deserves to have a good life. The end of her memoir Shrill was basically kind of the bringing that to fruition. She meets a very nice guy, you know, conventionally attractive, who marries her, and that's like her happy ending. Then she recently released this new memoir called Adult Braces, which kind of complicates that narrative, and it is all about this road trip she took in twenty twenty one after or her husband. Well we'll, you know, we'll debate did he, you know, like emotionally blackmail her into polyamory or in opening up their marriage? You know, was had? She always agreed to this and she was just being a brat about it. Who's to say, I think we're going to say. But so it's all about, you know, how she she did this cross country road trip to try to make peace with the fact that her husband wanted an open marriage. And then when she went back home, she and he and his girlfriend, who I think not coincidentally is thin moved into a cabin that her family owns, and they have been a three person marriage ever since.
Speaker 2: So I think the most important part of that part of it, the cabin, is that she sleeps in the guest.
Speaker 1: Rooms for the most part.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So, I first of all, I can't get enough of the story for several reasons. One, it's pure voyeurism. I just I can't get enough of how bizarre and weird this is. And I own the fact that I'm just being a gossipy, catty person. Number two. I think that it really speaks to something that progressive activists are trying to do in our society. I was first. I don't think I was really that familiar with her, but I was first, sort of. I got on the train of Lindy West because there was a Modern Love column about her. It came out about a week ago on the fourteenth. I want to read how the author introduces her interview with Lindy West, because I think it is very instructive of what they're trying to do here. And So this is a staff writer. Her name is Anna Martin, and she writes whenever non monogamy comes up in conversation with my friends. And we are thirty somethings in Brooklyn, so this is not infrequent. I always say, I always say some version of the same thing. I deeply admire the people who make it work, but I don't think I could ever do it myself. The truth is, I worry that I'm too insecure. Really, that's the lesson.
Speaker 1: I don't know why polyamory is the fetch that everyone is trying to make happen right now. This actually may be a good place to debut my conspiracy theory, which is that there is some guy just who has a lot of money and wants a harem and doesn't want to have to feel bad about it, and he's like, I'm just going to throw everything I've got at making harems socially acceptable even politically correct to have, and you know, and he's astroturfing this massive campaign, like in every mainstream legacy outlet, to make polyamory happen.
Speaker 2: So I think it's I think it's liberal kink. It's it's and it's to me because they would not be okay with it. Like if we were talking about Mormons and not not like the extremist Mormons, not LDS, but I think it's FLDS fundamentalist LDS, they would they would think that that's kooky religion. But this is, this is like their weird, kinky religion that they've decided, and it's weird because it's very biblical, like they're they're just stepping into a time machine and going back to when we had to have polygamy in order to repopulate the earth because there was one man and thirty women because all the other men died in a war. I think that it's part of just this overall effort to destroy the building blocks of civilization, the foundational aspects of it. And they're doing it with gender as well, like there's no such thing as a man or a woman. It's all you know, what you decide to be. And monogamy is another, you know, basic building block, and they've decided let's let's try to do away with that too, and childhood as well.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting theory. I'm not sure I agree with you, but that's really it is your podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes, No, disagree with me.
Speaker 1: I mean I I like well, I mean I obviously I like my conspiracy theory about the guy like maybe it's maybe it's maybe it's several men sitting in like a room smoking cigars, being like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not your scene. So we've got it. We've got to figure out who it.
Speaker 1: Is, you know, it could it could be whoever killed him. No, I'm just kidding. I think he'd probably kill himself.
Speaker 2: No, I don't know. I disagree with you. There's not a conspiracy theory that I have not actually brought into.
Speaker 1: Oh I love this. I want maybe later to hear about what your favorite one is. But just to return to the topic of polyamory. What is interesting about this to me is that the way that it's spun, especially by West in her book, is that it is like the most politically progressive, perhaps even feminist thing, to have this open marriage. And that is specifically because she's a straight white woman, but her husband is is a person of color and now who now, I guess sometime within the past couple of years, decided to go by they them pronouns, you know, announced announced he was non binary. I don't do they them as a matter of like principle, so I'm just gonna keep calling him him. But and then the girlfriend, whose name is Roya, is like, in addition to being thin, I think she is Persian and also queer. And so the idea is that I mean, she says this in her book that basically the husband, when he initially talked to her about the polyamory conversation, persuaded her that her desire for monogamy was sort of somehow connected to like a desire to own him like a sleeve, Like she's a white woman who wants to own a black man. And she was like, oh, I never thought about it that way. Now I understand how it's actually really problematic that I don't want you to have sex with other people, and it's just I mean, I don't know, Like, on the one hand, I guess I have a grudging respect for this guy that he's managed to worm his way into a place where he can be the cad to end all cads and people are going to act like he's actually doing something amazing and progressive, but at the same time he's awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an odd dude. I get a lot of the same vibes from not the man that Lena Dunnam married, but her boyfriend before that, where he kept telling her we can't get married until gay marriage is legal, and then gay marriage was legal and he was like, I just don't want to marry you. And I feel like both men really victimized these young women because of their deep, deep seated insecurities about their weight. She wrote a piece Somebody found, an old piece that she wrote and about her wedding, and she said, as a body positive activist, she wanted to make a bold political statement at her way, and so she says, thin girls were chosen, treasured and treated like a prize. Fat girls were settled for at best, and we settled in turn for whomever would take us. And then she talks about, you know, marrying this guy who did that for her, and it is so sad now knowing that he's just cheating right in front of her face, with a thin woman in her bedroom, Like does she not have friends?
Speaker 1: It is so tragic. I mean, the fact that what you just brought up that article is actually, I think such an important piece of this puzzle, which is Lindy West really created both a brand and an identity around the idea of being a fat woman who married a conventionally attractive man and got her happy ending. Yeah, and that was so important to not just like her professional persona, but I think to the story that she had been telling herself about herself. To admit that actually he's a bad man and a cheater who doesn't respect her, who doesn't love her the way that a man should love his wife, that has to be devastating in so many ways, I mean, And for that reason, even though like this, within this book Lindy West reveals herself to be a kind of a cruel person, I still really feel for her, Like I just I think that it's such a horrible thing that she ended up not just experiencing an objectively heartbreaking situation, but painting herself into a corner where she couldn't even say that it's heartbreaking. She can't call it what it is.
Speaker 2: And he did a bait and switch. He got married and and you know, they had their happy ending, and she wrote about it and she put it out there, and then he pulled it out from under her and said, if you want to stay with me, you have to be okay with me having sex with another woman in the room next door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so supposedly this was something that he told her about, like he was like, I, you know, I'm not good at monogamy. I think, you know, I think monogamy is unreasonable and bad. Then the whole conversation about monogamy maybe being racist, like all of this supposedly took place before they actually got married. Oh but but there, but he also wasn't dating other people then, right, right, It's the timeline is a little bit hard to parse. The other thing that's hard to pars is they allegedly had like an agreement, but she didn't really want it. She never wanted it. She never wanted to be with other people. You know, she didn't want him to be with other people, but she like said okay to this because she also didn't want to lose him. I guess tell as old as time, right, But even within the con finds of this agreement they supposedly had, he still violated it. One of the things that you learn in the course of reading this book is he had not just the one thin girlfriend. He was also having an affair with a second thin girlfriend who lived like next door to them.
Speaker 2: And she's of course not dating anyone, right, Like, she's not taking advantage of this open marriage.
Speaker 1: No, no, I mean, except that she supposedly sometimes has threesomes with her husband and the other woman. But you do not get the sense reading the book that this is something that happens very often. I definitely do not think that she and the other woman are engaging with each other sexually when the husband is not around, right, So it really is kind of a harem situation.
Speaker 2: So what bothers me about this whole situation? My mother was an uber, uber feminist. She would my mother dad when I was sixteen, but she would be horrified at how I turned out like pro life conservative, like what did I do wrong? But I have the ability to like code switch and think as my mother as like the super duper progressive woman. And but my mom would be of the like JK. Rowling version of feminists, where she would be like, I'm sorry, you want a man who's convicted of rape to have access to a woman's locker room. I'm sorry? What she would feel the same about this because feminists have twisted themselves into a circle, into a pretzel rather to say like this is somehow acceptable for a woman to be treated like this. This is the epitome of abuse, and it is so disrespectful and sets us back, as you know, half of humanity, back to the bad things of biblical times. We got rid of the polygamy. It was bad, and now they're like, let's let's have let's take another look.
Speaker 1: I mean, what's interesting about this book to me also is I mean, I've actually not seen anybody saying that it's good feminist, just non feminist, liberal conservative. This is an astonishing achievement at a moment which we are more polarized than we've ever been. This is a cultural artifact that everybody agrees is bad and everybody has a different lens on it. I've seen oh God, like ten different pieces written from different angles, which I think is it's astonishing what a rich vein to mind this one book is. And you know, for that we should be grateful to Lindy West forgiving it to us. But it is amazing to me that everybody you know is reading this and getting angry about it for different reasons, but ultimately reaching the consensus that no, like this is bad. This is a bad book, this is a bad situation. It just feels so really sorry for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean maybe this is like a watershed moment.
Speaker 1: Hi, this is a young Culter. Welcome to my Ricochet podcast and Coulter every week on Ricochet.
Speaker 2: You're home to Center Right conversation. Hey, that was pretty good. I just saw some interesting Pew research just a couple of hours ago that infidelity is the lone issue polled that a majority of both Republicans and Democrats believe is wrong, and it pulls very closely. Eighty eight percent of Democrats think it's wrong and ninety three percent of Republicans say married people having an affair is wrong. And that's essentially what this is. And it's just like a much more warped version because at least when you're having an affair, you have the respect for me to hide it. Yes, in this situation, you're just flaunting it in the bedroom that I own.
Speaker 1: That is the thing about it, that kind of I don't know that I guess maybe grinds my gears the most is you know, men have been cheating on their wives since time immemoriam, and I guess you know vice versa, the idea that like, you want to do that, and you also want to make it so that like she you can rub her face it and she's not allowed to be upset, and if she's upset, that makes her like a bad progressive and maybe a racist. That's the part of it.
Speaker 2: It's just like, oh, come on, it's really it's deeply cruel, Like he's not he's not just hurting her, he's trying to hurt her. What So you said in the book, which I'm wondering if you recommend actually reading the book. I was tempted.
Speaker 1: Everybody needs to read this book. Everybody in America needs to read this book just so they can talk about it with me personally.
Speaker 2: I would like to read one of your books before I read this book, so I'll faund it on my Yeah, I'll put it on my giant to read Pyle. But is there did she did she deserve it? Did she earn being so hated that he's just trying to hurt her like this?
Speaker 1: Oh God, I don't. I mean, who deserves this? It's, like you said, incredibly cruel. And I mean there is an argument to be made that this is a mess, very much of her own creation, and you know, especially since she has chosen in the wake of releasing this memoir to just double down and insist that everybody's misunderstanding it. But to me, that just is like, that's just sad on top of sad. You know, it just makes me feel worse for her.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of Eat Pray Love. Do you do you get that vibe at all from it?
Speaker 1: You know, I think that the hope was that it would be received is Eat Pray Love. But the thing about Eat Pray Love is that and about Elizabeth Gilbert in general, you know, you get the sense that she's not lying to herself about herself. You know, she's I think she's a very impulsive person and I have a theory she know, she recently wrote this book we're talking about Elizabeth Gilbert. Now, she wrote this addiction memoir called All the Way to the River, and my theory, having read that book, is that her actual addiction is to telling stories about her life, and she will just continue to do things to make content of her life, you know, so that she'll have a new story to tell, which is a kind of an interesting compulsion and of itself. But I think that she is truthful about all of this. I think that she's you know, and she's messy, and she's a hell of a storyteller. I mean it's her books are like being cornered at a party by somebody who's like had the most insane life experience you've ever heard of, and they've got you by the wrist and they're going to tell you and they're not going to let you go, and you're like, I'm here for it. Lindy West's book feels more like an attempt to persuade the reader, but really persuade herself that she's not unhappy, and I don't think she succeeds in doing either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. When I read the interview in Modern Love, I thought to myself, Oh you are this is a You've put a lot of effort into trying to convince yourself you're okay and that you're happy. And it's that meme of the girl just sobbing and Messcara going down her face and she's like, I'm fine, I'm fine.
Speaker 1: That is literally the book's cover. Wait, seriously, yes, it is a are you kidding? It's a cartoon porter of Lindy West grinning through tears with mess Scara running down her face.
Speaker 2: I had no idea. Yeah, oh my god, oh my god, how did okay? So? I asked this as a rhetorical question. Does she talk about how she has friends? Like? Does she have friends? Because I have a group chat. We used to have a podcast. It was called Lady Brains, and a lot of the listeners to the show used to listen to Lady Brains, And so I have a group chat of my best friends who we've all been very close for like fifteen years. If I said that my husband had said a fraction of this, they would be on my front door. They would be like ready to go, like, yeah, a few cases packed, we're getting you out of here. Does she talk about friends?
Speaker 1: She does have friends, and I wonder, I don't know, it's it's hard to say, you know, is she in a position where she can be told what other people see about her life. I understand that, Like she certainly has spent a lot of time dismissing everybody who criticized her book thus far as being you know, a hater who doesn't understand, or maybe like, oh, these people are conservatives, so who cares what they think that kind of thing. I don't know if anybody close to her has has tried to step in, or if she's in a place where she could receive that information and without just shutting down.
Speaker 2: I just want to say to her, you deserve better than this. Like it's not because I'm conservative, it's like, as a woman, like woman to woman, you deserve better. No one deserves being treated this way. And I feel the same about what Elizabeth Gilbert did to her husband, like she was the villain of E Pray Love. No one deserves what she did to him. But I that used to be like the feminist thing to do is to hype another woman and say you deserve so much better. I I mean, those people are not her friends. If they haven't said this, well.
Speaker 1: Everybody, I think this is what I will say my sense from the book is that she's very much in a bubble with people who are also on team polyamory as woke basically. And it's what is interesting to me about that is that so much of the story that Lindy West tells about her life is really only applicable to somebody who lives inside that bubble. Even this whole thing of like I'm a fat woman and I found love, you know, can you believe it? You go to like any rural area and like there's tons of fat people falling in love and getting married, Like it's we're a very fat country and we are coupling up, and you know that is it's just not strange for a fat woman to find love and to get married to a guy who values her. I think it is strange if you live in one of these kind of like coastal liberal enclaves where people tend not to be fat, and where you know, although nobody wants to talk about it, there's quite a lot of stigma around being fat, and people don't consider being fat to be attractive. And I don't know, I guess maybe that's a little bit of a tragedy. And she even actually writes in the book about being approached by men while she's on this solo road trip. I mean, she's got a very pretty face, and I think that she's not you know, she's not repulsive to men in general, but she's so grossed out when this happens because she reads the guys approaching her as likely conservatives or you know, or maga people, and so it's like, ew, how dare you? Which is I don't know, it's I guess maybe ironic is the right word to describe that.
Speaker 2: I think that one of the most one of the least conservative things about me is my soft spot for Lena Dunham. And this is this just reminds me so much. It's it's the it's the whole. It's the same ethos of like I accept myself but then I surround myself with Blake Lively and Taylor Swift and it makes me feel like crap about myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The thing is, Lena Dunham seems overall to me just as a casual observer, more well adjusted.
Speaker 2: I think she is at this point, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean this is the thing is like, this is a very this feels this memoir feels like something that Lena Dunham would have written in her twenties as auto fiction. You know, it feels like girls, except its real life. It's real people, and it's middle age, which makes it I mean, it's certainly not cute. It also feels tragic for that reason.
Speaker 2: Didn't she write about how she when they got married. I'm almost certain I remember this correctly. When when they got married she pictured them having like a white pick offence and having a kid or two, like she had pictured a traditional quote unquote life of you know, being monogamous and having a child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I wanted that she did. And I mean, whether it was reasonable to think that that would happen with this man who, at the age of I think twenty eight, was twice divorced with two children from his previous marriages.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: You know, we can debate whether that was a naive thing to imagine that would happen with him specifically or not. But but yeah, I think that is what she wanted. She's now convinced herself that it's not what she wants. She wants to be in a threttle where she sleeps in the guest room while her husband has sex with somebody else. Down the hall.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's so tragic. It's really very sad. I think it's comforting that you, at least in your observation of like reading everything that there is out there that there is it sounds like universal condemnation, because that was not what I would have expected, like, you know, living in my priors of like, oh, of course progressives love this. It's nice to hear that that's not the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think everybody just finds it sad, you know, again for different reasons. But there's really very little too like about this story unless you are a character in it.
Speaker 2: Right. I wonder what her what her family and you know, Roya's family think about, Like that's the that's the picture that I always want when you get these stories. I follow, and it's weird that I do because both my parents are dead. But one of my cultural things that I enjoy following is people who are estranged from their parents, And so I follow accounts of people from both sides, people who are estranged and who did the estranging, and I always want to hear the other side whenever, some whenever, like the doormat mom. This is like one of the Instagram accounts I follow whenever she posts I would like to see a tet. I'd like to see her daughter respond. Yeah, and I really want to see what the other people in Linda Linda West's life think about this from their perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there was So this was a very weird deep cut of short lived substack drama. The writer Meg Keen on her substack posted a review of the book. She wrote about how it was, you know, not feminist, and you know it was basically a depiction of abuse. And the husband showed up the comments and argued with a bunch of people for a while, and then I guess maybe came to his senses and deleted everything that he had said. Who But yes, I wild times out here on the internet.
Speaker 2: I love substack. I love it. I once had an ex boyfriend when I was working at Commentary Magazine. I ran the back end of the website, and I had an ex boyfriend who used to white night me in the comments section, and he signed up with his real email, but he would use a burner account as his user name, and he had no way of knowing that I was the person who ran the back end, and so I was like, dude, I know that it's you. It's kind of weird. We broke up a long time ago. I'm married now, Like, you don't have to white night me in the comments.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, but were you right?
Speaker 2: Like yes, I was right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, maybe he's just on the side of truth.
Speaker 2: No, but him and I disagreed deeply about everything, and that was part of why we broke up. Also, he was a cheater and terrible guy.
Speaker 1: But I maybe this was his way of saying he was sorry.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But I'm I'm always interested, you know, as I'm interested in like the other side, hearing the other side. What frustrates me is when people are not as like transparent as you and I are, Like we are the most stalkable people on in America. Like you wonder what we think, Like, just log onto my Twitter and you'll find out. I'm my Instagram. Also, I'm updating my story several times a day. I think it's deeply unjust when people are not as stalkable, and I think it's I think it's not fair, And well that's what I have to say about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'll go ahead and agree with you there. Although what's funny is also that you know, being an open book just seems to convince people that there's all of this secret, sinister like insane stuff that you believe and are not saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I want to end on this note. Actually, Okay, what is your favorite conspiracy theory that you believe? And then I'll tell you mine.
Speaker 1: Okay, My favorite conspiracy theory that I believe is that the Titanic that sank was not actually the Titanic. It was it was another ship called Oh, I can't remember the Oh sorry, my husband would know, but I'm not going to yell for him right now the phone. Yes, what was it called? The ship that sank that wasn't the Titanic. You don't remember, You're useless to me. I'm getting another boyfriend who would remember this. But anyway, so, the but the story is that there was this other ship that was going to be decommissioned after this voyage and they wanted, you know, for insurance purposes, to send it out, you know, tend that it was the Titanic, and the tragedy was not supposed to unfold the way that it did. But the reason that the ship sank had to do with it being this other older ship that was in a state of like disrepair.
Speaker 2: Got it? How mainstream is this conspiracy theory?
Speaker 1: I read about it in Popular Mechanics, so I think it's pretty mainstream. Okay, what's okay? What's yours?
Speaker 2: Dinosaurs?
Speaker 1: I think they were real?
Speaker 2: No, I think that there's something like a dinosaur. But the hubris, it's the hubris that really does it for me. We own a lot of dinosaur books because I have four boys, and the humors that they have when they're like they were this tall, this is what they look like, this is how fast they ran, this is what they ate, and all of that certainty, it sets off my alarm bells. I'm like, I don't I don't think. I don't think you know that much because you've got like four bones of that dinosaur, and you've constructed this whole pretense skeleton, and you think you know what it looks like and what it sounded like. And I just I think that there were like weird creatures that existed a long, long, long time ago, and we have we have no idea, we don't know anything about them, and I think I don't know why. I mean, I think that it's a lie that has spun out of control in big paleontology. But I don't know. I don't know of the I mean, your your conspiracy theory has like real actual validity when it goes to like the reasoning. I don't have the reasoning for my dinosaur conspiracy yet, other than it's just the hubris of the scientists. And I mean we kind of saw it with Are you familiar with what happened with Alzheimer's research?
Speaker 1: I did hear about this. It's yeah, I mean devastating really yeah.
Speaker 2: And so it was just everyone was lying, and everyone thought that everyone else wasn't lying, and so they would sort of push the ball forward with the lies about the research they were doing and you know, change the data and whatever based on this app this thesis that turned out to not be true, and everyone was lying and didn't know everyone else was lying. That's what I think about dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, that doesn't not make sense to me. I'm not necessarily sure that it applies to dinosaurs, but it does apply to science in general. If you don't mind, I will tell you my favorite story out of medical history before I let you go. In the early nineteen hundreds, at an asylum in New Jersey. There was a man who ran the asylum, a doctor. His name was Henry Cotton. I love where this is going. He was convinced that he had found the cure for insanity. Then the source of insanity. This source was your teeth. Your teeth make you crazy, and so he would take people's teeth out to cure them of insanity. When that didn't work, he'd be like, maybe it's not your teeth, Maybe it's something else in the body, and he would start removing organs. He had this theory. It was called focal infection. There was an infection somewhere in the body that was causing insanity, and he would just remove things from people, things they needed. He killed dozens, if not hundreds of people at this asylum. And at the time, the New York Times covered this man and his practices, and they said the only tragedy was that he hadn't discovered the cure for insanity sooner, and then eventually they were like, never mind, and.
Speaker 2: Maybe all the dead people, who was also kind of tragic.
Speaker 1: By then he was dead, but not before he pulled out a whole bunch of his own teeth and also his wife's teeth and his children's teeth. Oh my god, so Cubris not even once.
Speaker 2: I love it. So this is what I love, and I think this is why I'm so drawn to Lindy West. I love just how crazy humanity is, every every form of it. I I love watching it as an observer who is not crazy, who has like a very conventional normal life that I've created because I grew up in a crazy house. But I just love I love looking at the just shit show. I mean, we we this. I'm going to just mark this as e explicit like we've talked about dildos, like the ship has sailed. It is such a shit show other people's lives, and I I have some enjoyment looking at it from afar.
Speaker 1: You know, good stories, true stories always always beat the you know, instructive graphic novel about dildos.
Speaker 2: There you go, thank you for bringing There you go. There you go. Where can people find you? Not that? I mean, like I You're everywhere and you're amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, just don't don't come to my house. I am on Twitter slash x as kat Rosenfield. I am writing for the Free Press. I am right now in a bookstore near you with my new novel How to Survive in the Woods. You can find it in the thriller section. It's got a big old bloody knife on the cover and that's about it.
Speaker 2: I love it. And because we are the mom Wars, where can What are the names of your young adult books? Because I feel like, especially my older daughter would appreciate them.
Speaker 1: I thought you were about to be like, what are the names of your children? I was like, don't have any I'm wrapping the childless cat Lady continuent.
Speaker 2: And I didn't say it. I didn't say it. That was not the focus of our of our conversation.
Speaker 1: No, no, And I appreciate that because I don't really have a whole lot to say about being childless that is worth hearing. My young adult books are called Amelia and is Dead and Gone and Inland, and I will say they have mature themes in them. But if you have like a literary minded kid, I think they will enjoy them.
Speaker 2: Amazing. All right, Well, I can't wait. Thank you for joining us, folks. Don't forget to subscribe to the substack where you can watch us have this conversation. Cat looks at me. I have a cold. It's not as great and subscribe on on your favorite podcast services of choice. Amazing. All right, until next time. What do I say at the end of this satellite? There we go Satellite Ricochet join the conversation.