Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, he's got his Eye on the Ball on Tucson Sports Station yet Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Iron the Ball Here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Dave Silver, your ray. Now you have breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 3: All right, I mean obviously big one tomorrow is that Arizona is going to be playing in the UH Men's College World Series.
Speaker 2: Do we have, Dave, anything that you've seen so far, like eazy dosers one or whatever?
Speaker 4: Where the starters? Yes, just the starters you have to start?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, shout out to a friend of the show, Brian Peterson for posting these on Twitter. But Arizona's going to be starting Kremkowski, which makes sense.
Speaker 4: They're number one righte and.
Speaker 3: Coastal Carolina is actually I don't know if it's not their number one. I saw a guy that had it looked like he had better SATs on D one baseball. But they will be starting a right handed Riley Acoff. He's six six and two two point ninety a r A the guy I thought that they would be starting, though it was Jacob Morrison.
Speaker 5: He's a sophomore eleven to zero two fifteen e r A. Oh, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're just he's not starting. No, the sophomore is not starting. It's gonna be Riley Acoff. I don't know if that's how you're saying his name. I hope so.
Speaker 5: But it's weird because a call it says he last pitched versus East Carolina on the first of June, so it's been a little bit.
Speaker 2: So maybe he's not their best guy. Maybe just has good stuff against you know, the other guys.
Speaker 6: I may have won twenty three straight games, the hottest team coming in. You know they're gonna go into the Wildcats tomorrow. Well, in the land of momento, haven't lost since April twenty seconds, so it's been a while.
Speaker 4: You know, they pretty good.
Speaker 2: With me or against me on the land of momentum to do for a loss so that it goes your momentum.
Speaker 4: Wild Cats have some moment I'm going to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you okay, So now it's the doing momentum. I know.
Speaker 3: It's just I don't know, like when it cut like when it I think there's a good thing and a bad thing when the team comes in too hot to something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: No, it's always at one time. That's what we always think about.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like you play poker at all of a little bit when people go all in, and it's rare that then many times they win until because what the last time they do that?
Speaker 4: Because then thes no.
Speaker 6: I mean, the key here is if the U can get ahead, they are thirty eight and oh when they're headed in the eight, they're head in the eighth inning.
Speaker 4: They've got they got a great closer.
Speaker 6: And so if that can get to that point, they're twelve and one in one run games all season. So they get the lead, get the lead and hang on.
Speaker 2: And that was so crazy last week because they had the lead. They didn't have the lead.
Speaker 4: That was on Saturday in the middle game was wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, and it yeah, they've just been playing the Yeah they come from Okay.
Speaker 4: I don't believe.
Speaker 2: I don't believe in I don't believe in momentum, but I do believe in destiny. There's a part where you know, things just happen to get you a certain places, like dude, dude, second basement, nine out of ten, gets out, ten out of ten, gets there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he didn't get it.
Speaker 2: Some god some baseball got up there said okay, let's get him through.
Speaker 6: And that's baseball, and that really is baseball. You hear those stories. I mean it goes back just legendary stories through the years in the history of the sport. Some guy makes some crazy ara that you never expect and that just happens. But there you go. That's probably the number one in our lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you can we can probably go through a number of them. But you know, these things that happened that never happened, and.
Speaker 6: Especially in baseball, like like Rick was saying in the call, just it's one of those sports you just from game to game, you go, you lose eighteen to two, and you come back and you win the next day.
Speaker 4: Well, the coach still brought it up. War is it?
Speaker 7: War?
Speaker 4: Kevin? Kevin one?
Speaker 2: I mean your best your best hitter at the time he gets it dies back to Ken Kevin, I'm sorry, and he gets hurt and you don't. Okay, that's just a normal plane all of a sudden turns the trajectory of the other seasons at the most important time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean sports, God's given you take it the Yeah, keeping it going on the track and field right now, Zach Eckstein advances to one hundred and ten meter hurdles finals or one hundred and ten meter hurdle finals, and he advanced on the on day one of the NCAA Championship.
Speaker 6: So another event in Eugene, right. I was watching some of that last night. It's amazing how they can host everything. They got the best track in the country.
Speaker 3: Man Man Nike money, mister Knight. Oh, this is kind of a funny one. Uh so it says to this from the Arizona Border Regions. Today the board officially approved coach Burke's contract to be the head coach.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it was did they did they up it?
Speaker 2: I thought they were trying to approve it even more, improve it a little bit more. But yeah, I saw that that was on the agenda of.
Speaker 4: The Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It just reminds me of like, that's such a summer thing five year now.
Speaker 8: I mean it's like, uh, does it say how much? Six seventy five six? I think that was the original. Yeah, that's half of what she was making. Idea, they'll be fine they'll be fine.
Speaker 4: She'll survive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, three hundred and twenty five thousand dollars base salary, three hundred and fifty for additional duties. That makes total sense for twenty five thousand dollars signing bonus, twenty five thousand dollars annual salary escalators through twenty twenty nine to thirty. You signed one of these contracts. Yeah, My deals were just like that. What's an escalator?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 4: My escalator took me out the door.
Speaker 2: Mine were like that, just minus a couple of decimal points.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That's good though.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think we're all kind of waiting for the pale extension and and and Caitlin Low if that's gonna happen. I mean, you know, maybe here in the next week.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Desiree keeps saying, well, when we have the news, we'll let you out. Yeah, which is a nice way of saying, you know, leave me alone.
Speaker 4: She was on Channel Night last night. I did a story on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was watching and I really watched Channel Line just because I come on, I'm used to it.
Speaker 4: Used to in the old days.
Speaker 2: I used to.
Speaker 4: I used to. I'm sleep.
Speaker 2: Talking about the the shared revenue story.
Speaker 4: You put it all and stuff. You know the same story.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take care of our you know, our Olympic sports people. We're concerned for them. We're not gonna lose any sports things like that.
Speaker 3: All right, keep it going, uh man. I was gonna try to find how how Howard boy Zachary Puyo is doing, but he lost them on the leaderboard. Keep it moving on the links though, that's a tough name. Sarah Beata sec is competing in the Florida Women's Amateur in today.
Speaker 4: So got some Shia Yue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, women's golf player for the Kaud of the University.
Speaker 6: He had a good year, no satin So Zachary the golfer is at plus two through thirteen holes. So that's that's respectable, at least tied for thirty sevenths. He's ahead of guys like Rory and Scheffler.
Speaker 2: So so if you were to ask me the same question about you know, big moments and things like that, I think in this situation it would be kind of like here I am, I'm a you know, sophomore or whatever you say, I'm among these guys and I pinched myself.
Speaker 4: And say, damn, this is fantastic. Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Well, that's kind of one of the beauties of of like golf and tennis, when you can get into an event like this in areas in the US Open, he qualified, he's an amateur. Still, he's still on a student and I think it's in these moments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, these moments you cannot.
Speaker 6: Say, oh yeah, I mean I would think, you know, he's showing quite a lot of poise to go out there and play alongside these guys in a championship like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like you see it a lot too, And well maybe not a lot, but you see it every maybe like half decade or decade or so. In soccer, I mean this is yeah, I mean you see Lemina mal right now he's seventeen. It's like, dude, you can't even buy a beer in Europe, you know, like playing for like millions of euros like.
Speaker 4: That happens a lot in soccer though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was the dude from DC sixteen? Freddy ad ready a dude, great pick up with that name, Yeah sixteen. This is twenty one older, longer than older than you, oh, twenty three.
Speaker 4: Years ago too. Yeah, and it's just like, man, are you a big soccer fan?
Speaker 5: H I keep up with it.
Speaker 3: I don't say I'll watch all of it, but I tried my best to keep up with it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because isn't there some controversy because like a lot of the top players are not playing for our US team right now. Yeah, and we just got smoked by was it Switzerland?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Switzerland kind of did all of North America dirty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they'd be in Mexico too, But.
Speaker 6: I mean we're a year away from the World Cup and everyone's saying, oh, wait a second, why are.
Speaker 4: Our top players playing for our team? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's one because it's a friendly two Gold Cups starts on Saturday.
Speaker 5: I know it starts the fourteenth. I'm pretty sure that's.
Speaker 4: They'll play there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that's like the it's the real like kind of last preparation, because the way soccer goes is for everybody who doesn't know, it's uh the summer is the international break. So that's when you see like the team, like the countries play against each other, compared to uh, spring and summer, where it's the club's like Madrid, Barcelona all that stuff, and yeah, so it's kind of like one of the last tune ups. I'd say before the World Cup, maybe like like maybe two games before the actual Cup starts.
Speaker 5: But yeah, there's well it's really just because ballistic, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like Captain American, Hey, captain's missing right now?
Speaker 4: Where is he?
Speaker 5: Oh? Here's another one.
Speaker 3: Uh Jesse Alvina who finished nineteenth in the men's javelin, earned honorable mention for All America and a lot of track stuff going on, but I want to give him credit.
Speaker 5: I mean, they're in that stuff, you know what I mean. It's not easy.
Speaker 2: Got a new coach. Yeah yeah, yeah, mister w did you come over that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, dubs getting dubs anyways, Meat and potatoes here. Uh, Indiana Pacers beat the oh the city?
Speaker 4: Did you get your job?
Speaker 5: I just smiled.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the Pacers beat the Thunder yesterday in game three, so they're leading now two to one. The better that we have been talking about, who at one point had one hundred and twenty three thousand dollars payout.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, he has now.
Speaker 5: Dropped to sixty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Which you would have catched one tenth. I would have catched that one. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now it's like didn't jay Z have a huge bet going? Did I read that? Was it last night?
Speaker 4: I don't know? Let me, I'm sorry, we look that one up. Could have been, but.
Speaker 2: That did He might make it out of whatever. They want to make sure that clarify.
Speaker 4: The bet.
Speaker 6: He launched a million dollars? Well was the bet with the he bet on the thunder?
Speaker 4: Oh last night? Uh? Yeah, jeez, like you're going, I'll find it. Okay.
Speaker 6: He's living a hard knock life. Yeah, that's like twin Bucks married to Beyonce. Yeah, how hard off.
Speaker 3: Benedic Mathm, though, led the entire game for scoring twenty seven points. I thought he had twenty eight, but ESPN says he has twenty seven. T J McConnell had a very special stats line. They said it was the first time someone has gone ten points, ten assists, I believe in five, five assists and five steals.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So since since Jason Terry I think.
Speaker 5: Has been a dick Mathm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well since these two dudes. These two dudes were fantastic and and it was it was TJ McConnell doing exactly what he does. Yeah, it was great. It was a great name that he's not mister energy. But you know, kaok, Captain Chaos or whatever it was, because he was all over that court just creating problems.
Speaker 6: With Oh yeah, and his dad was there, and his grandfather was there, and his sister's playing for the Phoenix Mercury.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw that, which is pretty wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sometimes you're the star shines on you.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Jay Z did bet a million for the Thunder to win less.
Speaker 4: Y, Yes did he. I guess he had. That's ten dollars to.
Speaker 10: You and me.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 3: Interesting point though, that our interesting kind of clip of a quote that came out from this that's on ESPN as well, is that SGA says they got to suck it up when it comes to the late game fatigue, which is interesting. I mean Pacers, you know, that's kind of been like their whole mo o, like, you know, running up and down the floor, and I thought it would kind of work against him just because okay, okay, see you get there, they get their arms in the lanes a lot and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So I think, Okay, she's still gonna win it all. Really Okay, So his defense has been good.
Speaker 6: But not not last night and fourteen whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I still like I say, and then I have Chris come come on, give me a break. Chris comes in and harasses me. I'm gonna call the cops next time he does this. You see it, He's like harassing.
Speaker 4: A hold of a hold of what I was gonna say.
Speaker 5: You're gonna laugh. We got a minute, all right, quick?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 3: Uh five pm. Oilers Panthers Game four. Last game wasn't great. Last two games before that were though, So last.
Speaker 6: Game got a little out of hand and a little how many fights there were like five?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah it was it was chrety. It's pretty wild.
Speaker 6: So yeah, the hockey games have been okay up until that that game.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean they're both overtimes, right, yeah, there's two. Yeah, they're both on endot. Okay, yep. That's that's it for this Thursday afternoon. Let's take a breaking coming.
Speaker 12: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 4: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 12: Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, The Soul of Tucson are you ready enterprise so Fasca Yuki try.
Speaker 13: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchener bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 13: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 5: We can help you select the perfect.
Speaker 13: Wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorotle Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Toronto Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Given well, call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 14: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete.
Speaker 4: Creative Awards with.
Speaker 14: Fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards idea center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from Pima College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 7: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership, Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BK nine two nine to four two Equal housing Opportunity, got to commitment to Lyndrix, syncredit rates and available loan programs of subjects change with don't notice?
Speaker 4: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at this chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best.
Speaker 4: In sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 14: Richard Bacall Law Office defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, called Richard riccall five to two oh seven to four to h twelve thirteen, broad sponsor of Eye on the Ball, Go Cats.
Speaker 10: Got Bugs, termiteespees or rodents Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 4: Arizona Pest Control is your complete.
Speaker 10: Desert pest management specialist. That's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 5: Why is mining so important?
Speaker 9: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the minerals eighteen process.
Speaker 4: That's wilname is so.
Speaker 2: GONYBITYVM dot com.
Speaker 13: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill Guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement.
Speaker 6: We'll help you order the perfect mill.
Speaker 13: Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor. The Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill guard window experts.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio AP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to I on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is Dave Silver. Now on the phone. We have a ROADI former. You have a baseball Star two soon total Houston, Ashville.
Speaker 4: How are you doing, David? Great?
Speaker 16: Great, Great to be on with you.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: We've had some great people. Thanks for joining us. Talking about this year's baseball team. We'll also go back in the day. I read in your MLB you played three years and you only had one error.
Speaker 4: How in the world does that happen? Well, first of all.
Speaker 16: I mean I didn't play every day like most most for those three years, but I was I was kind of the utility player mostly, but I played all over and I guess that that was probably my strength for sure. And you know, I think I took I took a lot of pride in my defense, as I always did even in college and pro ball. So but you know, that's that was probably the strength of my game.
Speaker 4: Let's go back to eighty six.
Speaker 6: You know, it was a big year for the for the baseball program, and it was just a big moment for the team and so many great players on that team. What are your your memories of Omaha especially, but maybe each just that season in general, and how you got to that point where you were playing for the national Championship.
Speaker 16: Well, I mean, I just remember because I wasn't really part of the eighty five's on the eighty five team, but I wasn't really playing because I was hurt, And you know, I just remember the team doing well enough to get to the World Series and just my strong desire to come back and participate in that and be a part of that in eighty six, which I kind of slid in it shortstop, and then they moved Tommy to Hens out to second and Chip over to third and and kind of solidified the infield a little bit. But I just remember us starting out hot, hitting a little cold spell, and then getting hot. And one of the things I remember most is right before the World Series. The regional started, was was coach Kendle coming in and saying we had four games left, one with Grand Canyon and three with Arizona State. And I just remember him saying that we need to win three out of these four games to get original bid. And I remember beating Grand Canyon and then absolutely destroying Arizona State, uh, three straight games at home, and and we were just on absolute fire. And that's why I told Chip Or I texted Chip and and tripped the coach there.
Speaker 4: I just said that this.
Speaker 16: This team right now that they have seems to remind me of the momentum we had when they went in that regional and absolutely, uh you know about thirteen fourteen bombs and and and two games or three games was was pretty much a pretty good spark to indicate that they're they're ready to go. So uh took the blast. I just, you know, the big the biggest thing about that I told I was talking to someone the other day, The biggest thing about any team I've ever played on is just just that you spend all year playing together, going through ups and downs, and and to be able to just dogpile everybody at the end of the season. Is the absolute best feeling in sports, and it's worth it more than anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll go back to that in a second.
Speaker 2: But you're twenty one, twenty two maybe at this time, and and you're a ballplayer among a lot of good ballplayers. Did you think this Chip guy pretty good could be a pretty good coach one day?
Speaker 16: Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 16: Chip was always kind of a coach Kendall's right hand man in terms of they were they were in sync all the time, and and and honestly, the one thing about Chip is that back then when you didn't have online school and and any of these things. I mean, he's a great ballplayer, smart ball player, but he's the one kid that went out there and got the got the grades done and got the school work done. And I think he graduated in four years. And and you know, I had a lot of respect for him in that in that regard as well, but it definitely heads up, smart ball player, got the most out of his ability. And and you know he is Coach Kendle's clone.
Speaker 6: Did you ever cross pass with him professionally? Did you ever play for him or around him?
Speaker 16: We we kind of, you know, I think we ran into each other and trip Awa he was playing in Portland and I was probably playing in Tucson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we we.
Speaker 16: Came across, not not too frequently, because I think the Twins are outside of Triple A. They were always kind of on the in some other league. So that was about the only time we really crossed paths. And he was in the American League and I was in the National League for the most part, so but but a couple of times.
Speaker 2: So I'm sure you've will followed him at least recently pretty closely. And what do you think about this team? Although you kind of already compared them to the eighty sixteen, I I, you know.
Speaker 16: I just like their you know, especially way they're playing now, their resiliency, you know, even watching I spent a lot of time watching them when I can. I've come down to My daughter just graduated from Arizona, so we would go down to watch them play here and there. We actually went to Houston and watched them really kind of get going in that tournament. But you know, I just like their the way they're playing, resilient wise in terms of the last renal, even in North Carolina when they were down two to one, down for to two and just kept coming back, even you know, on the road. So I see a lot of talented players. Summer Hill Aaron, I call him, uh Mason White. So they've got some talented players too that are fun to watch. And it just seems like everybody kind of picks their moment to contribute, so real excited about what they've done and hopefully what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: It's funny, you've been on countless of teams through your career. I think some of the special ones are the ones that have that chemistry and and you were on a number of those. To me, and having never covered this baseball team, uh that you can kind of see it even through the TV that there's that chemistry and and good teams have that some confidence.
Speaker 16: Absolutely, you know, and I don't think I think it's just kind of a mixture.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 16: It seems like even when I look back at our team, you know, you had your kind of guys that were a little wild, You had your uh good good goodie two shoe guys and out of your middle roads, and it seems like you need to have that little bit of friction out there to kind of really bond and get you know, moving forward. So you know, I don't know this team on that level, but I'm assuming there's a little bit of everything in there as well. So but it does seem to some of the best teams I've played on have a nice kind of blend of different personalities.
Speaker 6: I was just looking at the you know, the results of the of the eighty six season, and you guys scored like over twenty runs I don't know, like ten times that season. So you had some offense and you took that with you all the way to Omaha. But maybe the biggest moment was the was the Dave shechrmatt home run?
Speaker 4: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 6: And where were you standing or sitting when that all happened.
Speaker 16: I was in the dugout. It was kind of it was kind of funny because we were in such a hot roll all the way up into the World Series and that was just kind of a for whatever reason, that was just a flat game for us, and it was just like things just weren't kind of clicking that day and it didn't seem like, you know, we were there and I think there was you know, this was funny thing was there was some you could tell there was people a little down in the dug aff when it happened, and it was just to me, it was just amazing that he came off the bench because I pinch hit a lot when I was in the major leagues and know how difficult that is, and to see him he literally took five straight pitches. He didn't swing once. You know, you took three balls and two strikes, and you're just like, you better swing something, and you know, sure enough when he did. It was I think that just reinvigorated us to get back on track, which we did in the next game too, But it was certainly a shot in the arm to get us back on track. But we were on fire up until that game.
Speaker 6: If I remember too, it was was it close to midnight? I mean, it was really late. If I recall, it have been a long day of baseball.
Speaker 16: I couldn't couldn't remember. I couldn't even remember that.
Speaker 4: But when you're playing baseball, the time.
Speaker 16: Day, at night or whatever doesn't seem to matter because you're probably usually sleeping in pretty good. But I don't recall, But no, it was. It really was a trigger to kind of get us back on track.
Speaker 2: So I asked Coach did earlier just about Jerry coach Kendall a couple of things, just personality and stuff. He probably didn't have those raw, raw speeches for you guys, But what do you think And you saw it when you guys when he won the title.
Speaker 4: Did it? What did it mean to him?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm sure he didn't go crazy. He's a lot like Luke just ah shucks, we went again kind of thing.
Speaker 4: How was it? I don't know.
Speaker 16: He just had a he had a quiet confidence. He was always steady, Like you said, he would never never get too emotional. But I think, you know, it was almost as if and even while I was there, because you know, they won in seventy six and we won an eighty. It it's you know, and thinking about how long it took for the next team in twenty twelve from eighty six.
Speaker 4: But it was almost like this.
Speaker 16: You know, he expected us to perform and play at that level. And but you know, he was just always a very steady, calming, uh individual, didn't get too emotional, which I think helps, you know, I think that's important as a coach, is that your players don't see panic in you. And he was just you know, very you know, always instructive and guiding, but I think that's the biggest thing about him. He was you know, there was an expectation that we were going to perform at a high level, and he wasn't going to get emotional up or down. But you could tell, you know, you certainly didn't want to cross him either. He had a he had a sternness to him when it was necessary.
Speaker 2: Right. No that with saying that, let me say this. I say covered loot for a long time. Everybody knows this and in the books I've written in very really the guys loved playing for him, respected the hell out of him.
Speaker 4: And one of the.
Speaker 2: Things that Loop brought was that you didn't want the guys to say, you don't want to disappoint your your grandfather, and it was like playing for your grandfather and he's the last guy you don't want to disappoint. How was it planning for him because you probably respected him like crazy and just didn't want to disappoint him.
Speaker 16: I think that's I think that's an important part of any being a great manager, is that you don't have to force it on on.
Speaker 4: Your your players. But you're You're right.
Speaker 16: I think there's this maybe not just your grandfather, but your father you don't want to let him down. You know, he believes in you and and he's encouraging you, and I think that just shows a lot of respect for the players, you know, is that you know you're if if the team loses or if you perform poorly, you feel bad for the coach because he's you know, put so much into you and trust you and leaves in you and so. But yeah, he's certainly one of those managers that you know, he brings that out in the players.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: I guess we're all getting old, but next year will be your fortieth anniversary of that championship. Are there any plans do you know, if there's anything planned reunion wise.
Speaker 16: It's got changed so much. I remember going out there and having to play games when it is probably only ten twelve years ago. For each year we had alumni a weekend. So hopefully we'll do something special. You know, I've kept in touch with Steve Strong, and I see Joe asked this, and it's always nice to be able to have those guys in Tucssan so I can reconnect with them. But certainly, you know, I would love to go back, play some golf and celebrate with those guys for sure, and most likely we'll have something. I know the coach, he seems to have an interest in that I was sixteen, I would think.
Speaker 2: So, So let me say this if I can compare a Chip and Coach Kendall. Although it's hard because it's generational, right, Chip is going to be what's hold?
Speaker 4: Are you sixty something?
Speaker 16: Sixty one?
Speaker 4: Ship?
Speaker 16: I think might be a year younger than me.
Speaker 2: You're younger, so my age two sixty so my age. And I'm thinking, do you think the kids today feel the same way that I just said with you? You don't want to disappoint your dad, your grandfather, even though that I guess today's sixty is not you know, tomorrow's eighty.
Speaker 4: You don't know, say, I.
Speaker 16: Would hope so, but gosh, you know, I hats off the Chip because I think this generation, although probably more talented physically than than we were, but completely different animal that I don't know that I can speak to in terms of that. And there's always gonna be guys like that, and uh, but there's there's just a probably a wide range. In a way, it's probably all the same, but uh, I think you'll find that a lot of them probably feel the same way. But hats off the chip. It's it's uh, it's probably a hard thing to manage now that it's become with Ni l and and you know, it just was just kind of a probably a more level playing field field in terms of players and and you know, but with this stuff, it's a whole new animal that I don't even know how, you know, how to how to manage at And that's something I'm sure that's a big challenge for him and his staff. But you know, deep down, I think the kids are probably the same.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean really, they had to basically turn over the entire pitching staff. I think this group from last year's is gone, and you know, it's a new group and here they are in a World Series, so pretty amazing.
Speaker 16: So yeah, that's that's a big challenge, Dave.
Speaker 4: So I could be wrong. Do you have a stud kid playing too? My son?
Speaker 16: I would I would say he was a stud in my eyes.
Speaker 4: But he did play.
Speaker 16: He did play D one baseball, but at North Dakota State with coach Brown, who used to he pitched at Arizona. And you know, like I said, I if anyone was listening out there, it was he wasn't kind of a you know, Arizona type player, but it was probably the perfect place for him. He's he went out there and the team actually won forty two games in his last year. They went and played in the regional against Stanford. But absolute great experience for him and Fargo loved the people there, loved his experience.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, there's a place for.
Speaker 16: Everyone to play and and you know, but it.
Speaker 4: Was good for him.
Speaker 16: I think the whole baseball experience just in and of itself and teaching you about hard work and overcoming challenges. So it wasn't wasn't a you know, super superstar, but loved you know, being a part of his development. And now he's doing great. He's in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and he's a financial advisor out there. So real proud of him too.
Speaker 2: Well, come on, he's living dreams of kids who wanted to play ball right somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Oh yeah, yeah, No, that's I'm saying. It's it's uh, it's just the experience itself is is you know, very meaningful?
Speaker 4: Did you say what you're up to?
Speaker 16: I'm a I've been a CPA for probably thirty years. I'm a CFO for a real estate company out here in Scottsdale. And you know, still love watching the Cats. Following the Cats, I love baseball. I'll watch as many games I can, and uh, you know, just kind of enjoying getting the point phasing our lives where kids are kind of growing up and getting looking to retire here on the horizon and playing some pickleball, and you know, just starting to try to enjoy things.
Speaker 2: Very nice, very nice. The guy with the glove, Thank you, Dave. Yeah, appreciate your time. Appreciate you the insight.
Speaker 16: Sure, let's go, let's go Cats. Hope they can get it, get it done this weekend, all right.
Speaker 4: Than Dave.
Speaker 2: Rody yep, hey, roady, thank you very much, appreciate it. We're gonna take a break down and come back. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Loudelson era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Nut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who.
Speaker 5: Know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 18: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. FEMA Community College can help you make some day today day and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreeer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen note tampble or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 10: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 18: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the lead in an exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 19: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 6: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 20: We believe less is More. Let's be need more money in your pocket, Liz Hassle means more more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sound Spectrum Pairmid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA. An equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera He's got his eye on the ball. On Tucson's sports station, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to ing about here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Dave Silver. Yep, you're Ray.
Speaker 4: Got about fifteen minutes maybe at the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, if you want to call perfect time five two zero four one, six seventy four forty, let us know how we're doing. And an he calls, did you see Dave playing Dave? When I covered the Toros? He was on the team, and he was like this sure thing went his way. There's no way he's not gonna get it.
Speaker 6: He was the fifth round draft pick. I mean, he was drafted pretty he was the highest draft pick of that eighty.
Speaker 4: Sixteen and then we really, yes, wow, let me tay.
Speaker 6: His career didn't you know, last very long, but he.
Speaker 4: Was he was picked.
Speaker 2: I was surprised that that only in a sense that he was not a great hitter, right, and typically well nowadays that's all they go for it and hit the ball because defenders, How can I say this? Defenders don't drive the Cadillacs. It's the offensive players that drive the cadillact. Yeah, but you know, obviously he got his degree.
Speaker 6: He says he's been a CPA for thirty years, so I think life has turned out, you know, just how he liked it.
Speaker 4: You know, he's always his good family.
Speaker 6: You know, his son played Division one baseball, so sounds good. And those guys, you know, many of them had you know, successful careers. Gil Heredia that one of the starting pitchers on that team is still in baseball still.
Speaker 2: You have the roster up there, I could grab it here, you said, right, Chia.
Speaker 6: Tommy Hinzo made the Major Leagues. Chip of course played. You know, the outfield was was good. Garmalat, Mike Senny, guys who had I think they each had you know, cups of coffee. Maybe got to the majors as well. So it was a good groups. You strong you know, has been in Tucson forever. He never left high school, you know, went to high school here and he's done well.
Speaker 2: You were here for how many of his titles coaches? Just the one? Yeah, just the eighty six, so he had four, right or no, three?
Speaker 4: Three they're going for five now, so he had yeah, three eighties.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so they made it in seven, they made it in seventy nine, but didn't worry.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you because you were here for some of that, what do you think at the end of the day, And maybe I'll ask you what Kendall's legacy was or ish boy, And I asked for a reason because I want to follow it up.
Speaker 4: Take your time.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I mean, how much time I can I pause? No, I mean I think just being a great leader and setting some of these guys up for success, you know, either professionally in the sport or as professionals outside of the sport. I mean some you here again, some of the guys at have stayed in Tucson that we've know. Joe Askedes of the Estes family of the homes, you know, he was kind of the next generation of that business. He's had great success. Steve Strong has had great success. I'm sure the guys themselves could tell you. You know, here they are. They're gonna have a fortieth re union next year. They're gonna get together and look at each other and go, wow, we've had quite a run. And maybe that all kind of began under the leadership of their coach, much like Lute.
Speaker 4: They were side by side for it. And that was my next question.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you have this, if he has this legacy with three what is Lut's legacy, and we kind of it kind of changes because he you know, he brought basketball here or inflated it a little yeah, uh a little a lot, and he had one title. Jerry had three, right, So you know, we know what Loot's legacy is kind of like established Tucson.
Speaker 6: Established Tucson and you know established, you know, just a slew of players going off and making a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: And that's what that's my point. He did that for basketball, but kindall do this for baseball? Do that for baseball too?
Speaker 4: Yeah a lot.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, the money situation is not the same obviously, Like you know, look at the Terry Francon as the world still in baseball, you know, probably considered still the best player of all time in Arizona and he was right here in the heart of Jerry Kendall world.
Speaker 2: Right right, So let me ask you again, who's what's Ken Drean's legacy.
Speaker 6: Well, the championships doesn't doesn't hurt little with the leadership and plus growing the sport of softball, college softball, I mean back in the day, I mean girls played and they you know, they played Bobby socks and maybe high school and maybe there were some college teams around, but that wasn't even happening until really the eighties, and Can Dre was right in the heart of that, and you know, it struck it rich here in Tucson.
Speaker 4: And he's if you're going to give a goat, I mean, the dude's a goat. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe even at Arizona, you know, yeah, I mean he's comparently old Mount Rushmore whatever.
Speaker 4: We've talked about that all the time.
Speaker 6: But I mean, you know again, remember too, I don't know, we didn't really touch on it this week, but you know, Chip and Steve Kerr were kind of side by side at the same period of you know, eighty six seven, Steve is done, you know, eighty eight. I mean there was there was some I don't know if it was compares the right word, but they were similar.
Speaker 4: They were kind of leaders on the court.
Speaker 2: I don't know much about I didn't cover either of them back in the day, but as you talk and listening to the guys, very similar, yeah, demeanor, the self effacing, doesn't take their self serious. Yep, very bright, very bright. I mean that's not lost and just almost not the same guy, but the same.
Speaker 4: Guy, right, I mean, you should.
Speaker 6: We should look it up if we have a chance again, just side by side, because I mean Chip was done I think in eighty seven, so I mean Steve still had like one more year. I mean they were here together at the same time, and that was you know, interesting that that was all going on.
Speaker 4: And look what they both.
Speaker 2: Became, right, No, no, very successful. And don't take what I noticed is is Steve doesn't take himself seriously.
Speaker 4: He's just a dude. Uh.
Speaker 2: And I've said this a number of times on people who don't agree with his politics or whatever. To me, the smartest guy I've ever met, and I've known a lot of people in politics and in sports, just because he's so eclectic.
Speaker 6: I bet too, just the way Michael Center was set up in those years too, they probably were buddies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they knew each other.
Speaker 6: I don't know, you know, if that happens anymore because baseball is off off campus and you know, they're kind of on their own now, but in those years, you know they were. They're probably in the weight room together. Again, they were the same same time.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you.
Speaker 2: You you were saying or inferring that maybe there was a story or two back in the day. Uh kind of mirror images type of thing. Maybe even by you.
Speaker 6: Could be I don't really remember, but because there could have been some stories we did. You know, they were rooting for each other. I mean there's seasons kind of you know, crossed over with basketball and baseball, you know, hitting in in the winter.
Speaker 2: Well to your point again, even Kindle Kendall's stid said, uh, there was one dude who could go to and he didn't say dude, one player that could go to coach Kendall and kind of.
Speaker 4: Talk to him about stuff. Guess back in the day, guess.
Speaker 2: Who could do that, right, Steve Kerr Wait, oh to loose Yeah, yeah, you know, later there was Miles you know, maybe a couple others, but Steve back then, I'm sure was that guy.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Steve, what do you have for me? I'm sure? I mean.
Speaker 6: And then you know the Cole Kenny Lofton crossover thing that was all kind of going on around that same time too.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean I know that.
Speaker 6: Well obviously just look at look at the years they were they were there on campus together and you're having great success as coaches.
Speaker 2: Now, well, look at that campus. You had you had football, you had.
Speaker 4: Chuck.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Chuck, you had Steve exactly. Yeah, I mean Shuck was that whole group. I mean, you're right, and I don't know who was there for basketball, but Sean was there.
Speaker 2: Well, but Steve's coming, Steve, Chuck, you had Chip with all that eighty six group right there. Yep, God, I'm sure that it was. But there was a little there was a little sports was like holy crap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but again they were kids. We weren't sure just.
Speaker 6: Then, but like, hey, now that as we look back, we go, yeah, you know, he was a pretty good leader on the field. And I remember Chip even then. You know, you could you could just tell that, you know, he was the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well the good old days. You were here for that.
Speaker 4: Man. I just come a year later.
Speaker 6: Okay, now he can he win a national championship and talk about his legacy.
Speaker 2: Now, kids, that Gray or is gonna I go to u A. I don't know any about anybo all those days.
Speaker 6: You gotta look up the history. I was always a history fan, and especially sports. Yeah, I mean that's always kind of been my go to thing, and it's always exciting. I love watching old films and seeing highlights and stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, those Laurel and Hardy movies. I like to think.
Speaker 3: I like to think that I am too, Like I'll go back and watch old games. Read the book obviously, but it's just.
Speaker 4: What book you got it for me?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: What book? Uh? Lessons from it? How did you get it? They were selling out a Barnes and Nobles. Oh really? Yeah? Did you get it from me? What the hell? I didn't know?
Speaker 6: Did you get You get a percentage if you sell it yourself.
Speaker 2: That's the only way I make money. How you think I don't have a royalty royalty deal is a bunch of crap.
Speaker 3: Sorry, but I read what struck you the most?
Speaker 4: I didn't know this well.
Speaker 5: I mean it was just like it was different because you read like I like to read.
Speaker 3: I like to read a lot of baseball books and like mostly about the giants and stuff like that, or about like just like figures in sports that I like, like I read.
Speaker 4: I read the John Madden. You're not telling me what did you think about it? I want to bring a touch on my It was good. It was good.
Speaker 5: I thought it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was it was cool.
Speaker 3: How you kept the lighthearted and then like would like I would still like have like you know, the underlying lessons from the like from the players and the stories.
Speaker 5: My favorite chapter is always I forget who was I.
Speaker 4: Was going to ask you what was your favorit chapter?
Speaker 5: It was it was the guy that would whenever they had run on the.
Speaker 4: Mall, oh Tom Tolbert, when he yeah, yeah, they run. You didn't hear the story. Now, Oh, so this is the legendary story.
Speaker 2: So they'd make him run right laps, two miles whatever, and they had to be around the what do you call it the fountain but down you know, too much.
Speaker 5: Down the mall?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, yeah, behind me. Yeah, so you know he's running. He's running, and the guys were sweating, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Says I'm just gonna stand, get in the fountain, get wet, and they're gonna run. They're gonna run and then get out and then run. By the time I get there, I'm gonna be less wet.
Speaker 4: Right uh. And they'll think it sweat, they'll think get sweat.
Speaker 2: And he did it a couple of times and then I guess one of the managers went and looked and saw him in there, but he didn't run him out.
Speaker 6: Yeah that that fountain is pretty famous too. I think many people have had a dip in there through the years. But yeah, I can see Tolbert taking advantage of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I like the one did you The last chapter was your guy radio guy.
Speaker 4: Phoenix got why am I so?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 10: He?
Speaker 2: You know, he's famous for being radio and was let go and he was looking for a job and he put Loot on the resume and some dude, some guy that he was trying to get a job for Todd, could you tell this guy who keeps calling me every day Loot or something, I know who you are. He doesn't have to keep calling me. The kid didn't know who Loot was, right, this guy keeps calling me, you know, tell him I know who daughter is.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So funny, and I know it's a good book. Small World.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, like I said, like, I don't know, it's just, uh, it feels like a little tougher to find stuff on baseball.
Speaker 5: But like I don't know, like you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 4: They actually that's not about you're giving me some ideas.
Speaker 3: Now, there's a because like you can watch old football games, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Sure on YouTube and stuff, and it's just like do that all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's like it's the nineteen fifty nine NFL championship. Yeah, exactly right. Yeah, So but you're.
Speaker 2: Actually give me an idea because the baseball, if they do really well, his history has been very kind to you a baseball not a lot a lot of kind, but it's been very kind going back to the eighty six, going back to the seventy six.
Speaker 6: I mean definitely the guys from eighty I'm the Francona team.
Speaker 2: Some of those guys are. I'll have to still playing. I'll have to do exactly what you said for when we had lunch.
Speaker 4: How do you get hold of this guy? Take it out? Where do you find? Is he still alive? Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, okay, well thanks, I didn't know who bought that as your next book. There's so many options. So I got Kenny, I got people on the leak.
Speaker 4: Yeah you know.
Speaker 6: Now, I think definitely you should look at that, look into the Steve Kerr Chip Hale timeline and see what was going on in those hums.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, like you're saying, Chip and who else in eighty six football?
Speaker 2: Chuck another another bright dude, right, yeah, very smart guy.
Speaker 6: And also got into coaching. So the similarities there for sure. Oh yeah, there is a lot of similar day. It's like a trifecta right there. Man, Yeah, there's that's a story. It is the story. Yeah, and then being and we're coming up to, like, you know, the fortieth anniversary of these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And I'm sure, like you said, he probably hung out together and you know, saw each other on campus and things. Okay, cool, Yeah, what a time to be alive during that time. You were here and I didn't even realize it You're too busy.
Speaker 4: But it was fun.
Speaker 6: I mean, those are like some of the highlights of my career. Where those your partner Brad.
Speaker 4: Who was okay, who was the news people? The news was guy? Ashley was here by then beck to you guys?
Speaker 10: Guy?
Speaker 17: You guy? He and I he and rinked on high school. He did he come to Oklahoma City? I think he may have come to Oklahoma City where he loved shooting still photography.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what he does. Somehow he finagled his way. I'm pretty sure he made it. Well, you know, he's from Oklahoma, the Birds of Omaha. Yeah, no, no, this is Oklahoma when the with the softball team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and next thing you know, we're we're out there covering the games and the guys on the field.
Speaker 4: So he came. He loved doing that stuff. Okay, we got to go. Good day. Thank you Dave for coming in. Thank you Ray.
Speaker 5: I shoot, tomorrow, I will be here tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I'm excited. I'm excited for tomorrow. All right, guys, thanks for listening.