Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, Strange Science is going to come along the bottom the hour. They're great stories, and Shannon found some weird animal stories that we'll.
Speaker 1: Have to get to. Oh right, where did I put those?
Speaker 2: And then of course what would what do the would be popes eat?
Speaker 1: Oh? This is great? Did you know that there are strict rules on the popes or the cardinals, I should say the cardinals picking which one among them will be the next pope, rules about what they can eat because there's been fears for apparently seven hundred and fifty or so years that people would sneak messages via I don't know, ravioli to the popes. So there's a strict set of guidelines on how the food gets delivered, what the food can be, the whole bit. What else is going on? Time for what's happening? Well, of course, the big news out of Washington today is that we've got Mike Walls out as National Security Advisor. Marco Rubio, Secretary of State, will be taking over as the interim National Security Advisor. Mike Walls, for his part, has been nominated by Trump for United Nations Ambassador.
Speaker 2: This announcement came after multiple news reports this morning that Mike Waltz was going to leave his role because of the controversy of his creation of that signal messaging app chat thread. It was used by Pete Hegseth and others to talk about military plans for attacks on the Hoothy rebels in Yemen, and it was Mike Waltz or his assistant that inadvertently added to the chat. The editor of The Atlantic magazine blew this whole thing up. Now, if you remember, the President had previously nominated at least Stephonic, congresswoman out of New York for the UN ambassador slot, but then withdrew the nomination in March, if nothing else, because they said there was a very slim majority of report publicans hold in the House of Representatives and he didn't want to lose her vote. So in this case, he kind of gets to move Mike Waltz, but doesn't lose him from the administration and will keep him as part of the as part of that international team.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think your pressure cooker was going to blow up in your kitchen and burn the house down and kill you the way that I do. Every time I've used the pressure cooker. I look at it and I see the steam, and I see the little thing bobbing up and down, and I think, one of these days that thing is going to malfunction and boom, there goes the house.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Shark Ninja is recalling more than two million pressure cookers sold in the US and Canada. Consumers reported over one hundred burn injuries spanning from a hazard that can cause hot food to spew out of it. These are the foody Op three hundred series multifunction pressure cookers. They've got a lid that can be opened while the cooker is in use. That sounds like about it. That can cause the hot contents to escape from the product and burn the s out of you. More than fifty reports of second or third degree burns to the face or body. Oh what an awful story too. You know you got burns all over your face. Well what happened? Oh? I was using my pressure cooker to make chicken catgatory or whatever the hell it is. What a sad story that is. I mean, you have to make something up. You'd have to make it could be like the Bullshoy acid attack, Like a disgruntled ballet dancer threw acid on my face because I didn't give his wife the ballerina part something good. You pressure cooker accident. That's awful story to tell.
Speaker 2: That's a weird thing to think about. In the month of February, just over twenty two thousand California homes. Can I get sold.
Speaker 1: That tattooed on my wrist? What? That's a weird thing to think about. To remind myself stop thinking about stupid craft.
Speaker 2: Those twenty two thousand homes that were old was down one percent in a year. It's about the third lowest February on record, twenty four percent below the twenty year average for the month. So home sales in the Great State of California have tumbled below great recession low for twenty one months now.
Speaker 1: Starbucks new drive through is the first three D printed store in the US. Walk me through this.
Speaker 2: So you can build buildings now with these giant it almost looks like a it's a giant three D printer, but it probably looks a little bit more like a miniature crane, and it basically piles cement kind of forms on top of each other until it builds up into a wall.
Speaker 1: It's a new way of building things. Yeah. Well, three D printer thing is I think misleading.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be a great way to innovate, to build affordable houses quickly, cheaply.
Speaker 1: Interesting study. Does everything blow over with a thirty mile per hour wind?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's pretty sturdy. Yeah, that's part of the reason. And they said most of the homes that they've done, that, the smaller affordable homes they've done, are come in a giant circle shape. It's easier for them to put that crane thing right smack in the middle and do it that way.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see, I see that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Ronan, the sea lion, can keep a beat better than human beings can. Fifteen year old California sea lion is scene swaying her head in time to the tempo changes in music. The New College of Florida has spent a decade studying Ronan's rhythmic abilities. Not very many animals show the ability to identify and move to a beat, aside from humans, parrots, and some primates. But they're saying that this sea lion, bright eyed sea lion has Scientists rethinking the meaning of music and how others listen to music.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. What's on your What's going on in your mouth? You're right, I just swallow a bug. There's something happening with your face. But you had that face on before. Yeah, I don't know what that was. What do you think it was? I don't know what's in this room? Ah? What does it taste like?
Speaker 2: It didn't taste like anything, just felt like something flew.
Speaker 1: In my mouth. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's awful. M all right, we have a chance for you. Let's perk it up a little bit. We have a chance for you to win a thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Is there your chance to win one thousand dollars? Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website cash.
Speaker 1: That's cash c A. S. H.
Speaker 3: Edward Now at KFI AM six forty dot com slash cash powered by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, Winning is everything called the Winning Attorneys. It's James one eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or Sweet James dot com again.
Speaker 2: The keyword cash goes on the website. Email is the method by which we will let you know you won your money. Next hour, John Covelt's gonna give you a chance to win a thousand dollars also.
Speaker 4: Okay, Shannon, I've got a pressure cooker story for you. I was about ten years old and it was summertime. My mom was making corn beef and cabbage and the pressure cooker for a visiting uncle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I rode my bike by the window and heard.
Speaker 2: This giant whoom.
Speaker 4: Next thing I knew. I went inside and there were shreds of corn beef and cabbage all over the walls and the screen of the kitchen window. As a kid, I thought it was hysterical. We still found bits of it later.
Speaker 1: I bet now for years you'd be like, Ah, there's a little bit more cabbage dried to the wall over here. Yeah, that would definitely make it all. That would piss me off. That's a perfectly good piece of corn beef all over the place.
Speaker 2: Next week we'll begin conclave. Next week is when the cardinals get together and they decide who is going to be the next pope for the Catholic Church and a lot of them, have said. Travelers in Rome have even seen some of these cardinals out and about frequenting their favorite restaurants. Just before the last papal election twenty thirteen, the Italian TV stations would report that many of these cardinals are making time to visit a particular favorite, Al Pasetto di Borgo, which is a family run restaurant just about two hundred meters away from Saint Peter's Basilica.
Speaker 1: Well, the conclave brings with it a cloak of secrecy, a code if you will. It goes back to twelve seventy four, when Pope Gregory the Tenth established the regulations that still partly dictate how papal elections are run today. His was controversial, As with the coronation of many popes, it had this distinguished distinction excuse me of being by far the long took almost three years to get a majority consensus required to appoint a new pope. Local residents threatened to restrict the cardinal's food to hasten a resolution. You better pick a pope or we're cutting you off. We're not going to feed you anymore. Let's get this, Let's paint the wagon.
Speaker 2: Paint the wagon, Pope Gregory.
Speaker 1: The tense new rules included isolation of the conclave. That's a rule that's still in effect today, and rationing of the cardinal's food. After three days without consensus, the cardinals received only one daily meal and after eight days only bread and water. Now we talked about how the average is four days. It looks like the popes they go one day with only one meal and then they make a quick decision according to these rules. But by the mid nineteen excuse me, by the Bin thirteen hundreds, these rules were relaxed a little bit. They were relaxed by Clement the sixth, who permitted three course meals consisting of soup, a main dish of fish, meat or eggs, and dessert, which could include cheese or fruit. Tight control over the conclaves remains.
Speaker 2: The daily meals are prepared in a communal kitchen by cooks and Somlie's two of the domestic positions that keep a conclave running.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of wine that goes on with these meetings.
Speaker 2: Well why not?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if we were picking a new pope would we be drinking doing it? Um? And that's us that's two schmos and a padded room and burbank. Maybe true. We take it a little seriously, wouldn't we.
Speaker 2: They said that there is a concern that the kitchen might have been a space where illicit messages could be shared, notes that guards were stationed there specifically to prevent this. For twice a day, in an order determined by lottery, the stewards would ceremoniously bring the food to the ruota wheel or the turntable built into the wall that allowed the food and drink to be passed to the cardinals in their inner hall. But before being passed through the wall, it was checked by testers to make sure that they weren't hiding any illicit messages.
Speaker 1: Every step was closely watched by Italian and Swiss guards. Nothing was permitted that may obscure a secret message. So no closed pies. If there was a pie to be delivered, you'd have to open it up like an American pie, maybe a little bit different. No holed chickens. Sorry, well, everyone's thinking of the same thing, aren't they. When they see the term no closed pies. You're thinking of pie that's not closed. You're thinking of that movie, are you? No I'm thinking of a pumpkin pie. A pumpkin pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no crust on the top of it. There's no covering.
Speaker 1: Oh I see, so no like pastry on top. That's what they mean. Yeah, I thought they just meant like, no intact pie. You could still put a message inside a pumpkin pie. Yeah, you could.
Speaker 2: Maybe they don't have pumpkin pie no, or.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can make a mess of the pumpkin pie with just a spoon. No whole chickens, wine and water have to be offered in a clear glass, not an opaque. Vessels, cloth napkins were opened and carefully inspected as well.
Speaker 2: The arrangement, they said was part of it was to make sure that the cardinals were the only ones involved in the selection process, no outside influence, But they said also because they wanted to assuage any concerns about poisoning. Maybe not so much now, but a few hundred years ago, the pope was a very was just as politically important as he was faithfully important.
Speaker 1: Back to pies, go on, Your favorite pie is a key lime pie? Is that correct?
Speaker 2: If that would be at the very top of the list, Yes, I think a close second is a good tart lemon meringue.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think that's pretty common. What I think my husband's favorite is a key lime. And if I'm not mistaken, I think my brother's favorite pie is a key lime. Now I never saw I would say about men, oh men, like I am a I am a chocolate mouse pie. It's not really pie. It's like a cake that's masquerading as a pie. I'm just not a big pie. I'm not a fruit a fruit dessert person.
Speaker 2: Some berry pies are good, but again I go for the tart, even the apple pies, I want them to be made with a tart apple.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm not the big cinnamon ease. You don't like cinnamon on your apple pie? Maybe a little bit, but don't get crazy to get overwhelming. Don't let yourself go with that cinnamon.
Speaker 2: I like a little crunch in my apple pie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's got to be. Yeah, you gotta have a little bit of a crunchy crisp crust. Right, you don't have to. But do you make your pies? I haven't made a pie in a long time. Does your wife make pies?
Speaker 2: I guess I should say she has made the pies more often than I have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never made a pie. I don't think I made a lemon meringue pie.
Speaker 2: One time we had friends over and my buddy said, I don't really eat dessert.
Speaker 1: And you punched him in the face and then never made a pie again.
Speaker 2: I don't make pies for him anymore. I mean I didn't make it for him. It was just I made a pie.
Speaker 1: Was this going back to Dennis when he made you a cake? Is that why you made your friend the pie?
Speaker 2: Why would that have anything to do with this is a nice thing to do, completely different confection.
Speaker 1: It's a dessert. It's a dessert. I just have never known a man to make a cake or a pie.
Speaker 2: What, Yeah, you've never known a baker?
Speaker 1: No? Oh boy, I dontorrow a baker. What is this the renaissance fair? Like? What do you mean a baker? I don't have a baker, like, I don't have a You know any man who's made a cake or a pie? No? I find that. Well, my dad didn't, my brother didn't. My husband doesn't make desserts. He'll make cookies. He's made cookies. You know three men in your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tomorrow the dodge you're taking on the Braves in Atlanta. First pitch is at four fifteen year If I.
Speaker 1: Could meet the men that make cakes and pies.
Speaker 5: My husband does.
Speaker 1: Oh he does? What is he doing?
Speaker 5: He makes this vegan moose, These vegan moose maps. You would never know they're vegan. He makes, I mean he makes all kinds of things. He veganizes stuff for me all the time.
Speaker 1: Sweet. Yeah, and that is really sweet. Kind of make that. I made that word up, but he does. That's good. No, it's a good word. Yeah, that's fair. He makes things non vegan. The moose situation. What is that?
Speaker 5: Oh, it's so good? Whoa, I'll have to bring it in next time he makes. Yeah, he made me one time for my birthday. It was vegan and it was a big, huge chocolate peanut buttercup because Reese's peanut buttercups were my favorite growing up. And there's actually a vegan No, actually, hershe's has a vegan.
Speaker 1: Really, you made that for you? He made that for me. That is really sweet. Twice wow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Listen to all the Dodgers games on a five seventy LA Sports Live from the Galput Motors Broadcast booth and stream all the Dodgers games. N HD on the iHeartRadio app used the keyword AM five seventy la sports.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just thinking about dessert. I saw that in your face. Sorry, Gari and Shannon will continue how junk food is hiding inside our memories waiting to attack. It's I don't this one scares me. It's true.
Speaker 2: We're big dumb animals. We are can't fight it.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: First day of May. One of the big stories, of course, is that Mike Waltz is going to be out as National Security Advisor. Just a short time ago, President Trump took to truth Social to say that Mike Waltz is actually going to be nominated as the ambassador to the United Nations and that in the meantime, Marco Rubio is going to add to his Secretary of State duties acting National Security Advisor. So that's what's going on. Hey, Iheartradios. Wango Tango, presented by Fiji Airways, is coming up on Saturday, May tenth, a week from Saturday, at Huntington City Beach just south of the Pier. Great lineup including a two O May Katz Eye, Megan Trainer, Gwen Stefani, Doja Cat. You can also enjoy the pre show Wango Tango Village that starts at one o'clock on Saturday afternoon. Enjoy music, live, DJ's, food and fun, a bunch of additional performances, and you can make a weekend out of the whole thing because hotel packages are available at AXS dot com. And as a note, tickets go up tomorrow, so get your tickets for iHeartRadio's Wango Tango at AXS dot com.
Speaker 1: The way that National Geographic writes this up it is eerie and creepy. They say, the next time you remember a chocolate bar in your desk drawer, your brain may not just be remembering it. It could be actively pushing you to seek it out.
Speaker 2: That's where we begin strange science.
Speaker 4: The.
Speaker 1: Strange s.
Speaker 3: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 1: Neurons that trigger cravings that lead to overeating even when you're not hungry. That's right, your brain may be fighting against your desire to lose weight by forcing you into the focolate bar we all need to eat.
Speaker 2: This is where the addiction to food can be such an issue, because you still need to eat.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. That's different with other things. Right, you don't need any of the other addictions.
Speaker 2: You don't need a glass of wine or a beer, or a couple shots. You don't know thoseyl or fentyl or cigarettes or something you actually.
Speaker 1: Do need to eat. Interesting, I never thought about that.
Speaker 2: Scientists have distinguished between metabolic hunger, which is your body telling you you need food for energy, and hedonic hunger, which comes about when food looks good or it smells good. And they said that there's a third layer. This study has says there's a third layer called memory driven hunger. I mean, we're just talking about our favorite kind of foods, right, our favorite pies or whatever is driven by memory, the memories you have of eating good versions of those foods.
Speaker 1: This still happens to me where I think Totino's pizza, we're the ones you can get ten for a dollar at the market. I still have this memory that they're really good, and so once in a while I'll get one and it's disgusting, it's awful. I throw it out, it's so bad. But I have this such a strong memory of all those years when I ate those and just thought they were so delicious, same thing with like a grilled cheese with a craft single oh Man on sliced sour dough bread. Couldn't get better. I ate one of those week ago or something garbage? So what is this cheese?
Speaker 2: Early in human history when getting calories was an all day goal, we had to learn to use those cues like smell and site and location to identify those energy rich foods, and after eating, the brain stores that information along with how that food made us field. Did it give us the energy, did it make our mouth happy? Did taste good? Did it feel good? And essentially, when we eat, we're subliminally integrating the external and internal worlds, which is what memory is. And then those signals influence dopamine release and the brain's reward pathways, and the brain updates the value of food based on that kind of information, uses that information whenever you re encounter that flavor. So the next time you pass by a bakery, or you go to a movie theater and you smell the popcorn, or you go to downtown Disney Main Street, USA and you can smell the confectionery there, it sparks a craving, it activates it sparks this craving, and the study said that memories of fat and sugar are stored via separate pathways. Both of those lead to dopamine and certain obviously foods contain either fat or carbohydrates. The ultraprocessed foods that we've been eating contain both fat and carbohydrates.
Speaker 1: Now I want a funnel cake. See that sound good? Fat and sugar altogether. That's what it is. Making a baby now.
Speaker 2: Exposure therapy, they say, can help, but it doesn't generalize across flavors. Each one has to be addressed individually. Some medications like ozebic, the GLP one agonists, they actually work in this field. They can dampen your reward signals after eating. It can reduce that conditioning, reduce the dopamine release, reduce the cravings in your brain so that you don't have That's why it works. Also on those things like been reports that if you're on one of these golp ones, you don't have a craving to drink, you don't have a craving for drugs that you may have had before. But then, of course those medications can also help manage appetite in the short term.
Speaker 1: They don't address the root.
Speaker 2: Causes of overeating necessarily, but they say to train your brain to resist junk food is to do a little cognitive behavioral therapy. Mick, what, well, stick the Snickers bar in the middle of the table and then don't eat it.
Speaker 1: That's that's your that's your solution to me not eating the Snickers bar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just look at it. Yeah, for how long? A long time?
Speaker 1: I don't think your methods are going to work. Well, maybe you have a weak brain.
Speaker 2: I do not have a weak brain. Possible, it's possible.
Speaker 1: You want to know what my brain's saying to you right now. It's not weak.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We've talked to him before you. Yeah, I mean we share him. We do share you. Listen to ours.
Speaker 2: A couple of stories that we're following, of course, the big national story. President Trump announced that he's going to nominate Michael Waltz to be US Ambassador to the United Nations, while Secretary of State Mark Rubio is going to serve as interim National Security Advisor, while keeping, of course, his current title as Secretary of State. He wrote on Truth Social from his time in uniform, in the battlefield, in Congress, and as my National security advisor, Mike Waltz has worked to put our nation's interest first. I know he will do the same in this new role. Of course, this all was somewhat expected and took a lot longer than expected. After Mike Waltz got caught up in the Signal app chat from the middle of March, he accidentally added somehow the editor to the Atlantic magazine to this chat about military planning to go after the Hoothy rebels in Yemen.
Speaker 1: Former President Biden and Jill Biden are sitting down for their first interview together since leaving the White House. They will be appearing on The View next Thursday to discuss topics including life after the presidency, Biden's legacy demo, Kraft's election losses, current political landscape. They say Biden has slowly begun stepping back into the spotlight since exiting the White House. Hmmm, he's been slowly stepping for quite some time, guys. Not the right way to write that. He's been a frequent guest on The View. He's been on the View ten times over the years.
Speaker 2: Monday, we're supposed to see the beginning of the Sean Diddy Combs trial, and today he formally rejected the offer to plead guilty and spare himself the possibility of a prolonged prison sentence. So, of course, these jury selections, beginning Monday, charges of racketeering, conspiracy, sex trafficking and prostitution, alleging that he was coercing women and others into prolonged sexual encounters that he called freak off.
Speaker 1: The largest single breed dog walk has gone down. What kind of breed of dog? Do you think?
Speaker 2: This was not a big breed? I'm going to assume it's the smaller breed.
Speaker 1: The DaShan dot dockson docson. I know nothing about dog breeds and I yeah, I know that, but I don't. I just don't know the names. If you tell me a breed of dog, I'll recognize it as a breed of dog. I cannot tell you what that looks like. This was observed by the Hungarian Records Association. Happened in Budapest. About five hundred docsins descended, enough for a national record, but short of the Guinness World record of eight hundred and ninety seven set in Germany.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, there is speaking of animals, there is a woodpecker that has just invaded a neighborhood in Rockport, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: It's broken more than two dozen mirrors in at least one vehicle's side window in this neighborhood. But they say they don't want to do anything about it. They don't want to kill it. They're just laughing it off. No one wants to harm the woodpecker.
Speaker 2: They're putting trash bags and towels over the side mirrors of their cars. Now residents are taking the violence in stride. One guy says he and his neighbors are having a good laugh. No one wants to hurt the bird. An avian biologist with New Hampshire Audubon says smaller birds can be very aggressive against their own reflections because they are idiots.
Speaker 1: Or maybe she didn't say that. Maybe this woodpecker is just going through something. It's possible it doesn't like itself right now.
Speaker 2: I showed you the video of the animals, the birds that were doing that on my window. Yeah, two birds going at I think that that was a mating thing, Like one bird was trying to show off by beating the crap out of his reflection. Yeah, boy, I hope they mate.
Speaker 1: All right. So to the vulture and a hand puppet story. This is the one you've been waiting for. Yes, a zoo in New York is hand feeding a baby vulture with the York City with a realistic bird puppet. There's footage of a feeding session at the Bronx Zoo. This is one of those moments where I'm floating above my body as I say words, and I'm like, what the hell are you talking about? Ladies?
Speaker 2: Happened they do that here? Don't they do that with condors in callow idea?
Speaker 1: Is it? Because? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they're scared.
Speaker 1: The baby vultures are scared of what would be a real actual.
Speaker 2: Or if it's not there. I mean they maybe they got the chicks from somewhere else and they don't want the the chicks to imprint on.
Speaker 1: But remember they have a real king vulture at the zoo.
Speaker 2: Maybe she is not Maybe the mother bird is not a good caretaker.
Speaker 1: How dare you? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe she's going through something like that woodpecker going through something.
Speaker 1: You're right though. The zoo says it developed this technique when it raised three condor chicks forty years ago.
Speaker 2: So that they'll imprint on the puppet and not a human. You should have done this with your kids. Could you imagine your little babies looking up at you and being like, I'm supposed to take food from that creature?
Speaker 1: What is that guy? What does that guy know about food? Yeah? That's scary.
Speaker 2: The John Cobelt Show is coming up next tomorrow. By the way, Yeah, it's Friday. What does that mean? Is it a special edition of the show?
Speaker 1: Probably? Okay, Well, is he going to have special things? Probably? It's Friday. Oh my gosh, I'm super excited. We'll see what happens. Oh my gosh. It could be anything, could literally be anything.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll let us come back see you tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Stay drive everybody, blessings.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.