Speaker 1: Streaking. So there's a thing that dropped on Netflix yesterday. It's called the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor. It's a big event at the Kennedy Center in DC, and this year's honorey was Conan. We've seen Dave Chappelle get this, We've seen Will Ferrell get this Adam Sandler recently. But basically it ends up being just a big lineup of heavy hitters of comedy going up and doing five minutes and it's not really a roast, but it ends up kind of going that way a little bit, and it's no joke. Ninety minutes of almost perfection in my estimation. Let's start with Will Ferrell, who comes out to honor his buddy Conan O'Brien and uh Will Ferrell who won this thing back in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't even know how to get into this. Is Conan? Is he even here tonight?
Speaker 3: Do we know?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Look my therapist told me to not make tonight about myself, which I would generally agree with, but I'm sorry, I just have to address the elephant in the room for those of you who might not know this about me. I received the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in twenty eleven. No, no, no, it was a much more competitive feel back then. Conan gave some lovely remarks after the show. Conan said something to me, and I remember it like it was yesterday, And he said, hey, just so you know, if they ever offer me the Mark Twain Prize, I will say no, I will not accept it out of respect for you.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes you did, Yes you did.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, you totally said that.
Speaker 6: Really I did.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 5: Oh this is so are.
Speaker 2: You saying that I made this up?
Speaker 3: Look?
Speaker 2: I know this is your night, but you look like an idiot right now.
Speaker 1: Perfect his thing of just raising the voice, just start yelling a little bit. Conan's kind of miked up, but it's low. You kind of hear him saying. He shakes his head a little bit. He's just sitting with his his wife and his two kids. And old are his kids. They look to be I would say the late teens, early twenties. Right here, every O'Brien member looks the same. It's unbelievable. What channel is this on Netflix? I mean it usually airs on like C and N or something, but this dropped on Netflix yesterday. This happened a couple months ago. So so I've never seen his wife either. Is she pasty and redheaded? No, she's blonde. That's kind of pale. He's very attractive, you know, comparatively to him, Oh, comparatively to the charismatic rich guy. Yeah, well it's still Conan. Okay, Okay, John mulaney.
Speaker 5: Little did I know, oh, that being your biggest fan for thirty two years would be one of the most emotionally taxing experiences of my life. Being a Conan fan since the early days has been so stressful. There's always a god petition to sign or some kind of protests to save him. There's no argument for it, but we're like, don't take it away from us. I was a Cubs fan, so I knew how to root for people that lose constantly. But with Conan, it was like being a Cubs fan, but you think the way they lost was so brilliant that they won. It was like being a Cubs fan if after each game there was a serious discussion as to whether or not the Cubs should be allowed to be a team anymore. In July two thousand and eight, I was a dinner with my mom, and I got a call that I'd been hired to be a writer at Saturday Night Live. And I went back inside and I told my mom, and the waiter overheard me, and he said, do you know that's how Conan O'Brien started. I said, I've known that half my life. You moron.
Speaker 1: A really good what a distinctive style he's got. Okay, now you always have a how about another redhead though, Bill Burr.
Speaker 3: Great to see you and everything. Nice to be here at the Kennedy Center. Uh. Nothing says comedy like the free flowing, creative vibes of the District of Columbia.
Speaker 6: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: There's something about, you know, starting and prolonging wars while crushing the working man for your own self interest that really inspires all who gather on this spurl ground. So I always felt the kinship for Conan even before I met him, just as a fellow redhead. We are an unseen minority hiding in plain sight, under the shade of a tree, watching all you pigmented people basking in the sun.
Speaker 3: But I had it easier than him because I was, you know, I was regular size.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Conan cony couldn't hide just a six foot six abrasion.
Speaker 1: Am I still want to watch this tonight? No, it's so good, I'm telling you. Ninety minutes they break it up. But the git here and there, let's go with uh, Sarah Silverman.
Speaker 7: Experimental, singular, a revelation. These are just some of the words used to describe my appearances on Conan. Too easy a joke? Were you ahead of it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Maybe maybe? But what better way to celebrate our friend Conan O'Brien than without effort?
Speaker 1: Okay, one more a sneak ed before we go the next of it. Kumel, Nan Johnny and Nan Johnny. Y'all know him from Silicon Valley.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: I moved here for college on my own, no family, just this kid from Pakistan alone at eighteen in a strange land. I had no idea what America was going to be like. I turned on the TV in the lounge in my dorm in Iowa, and the first thing I saw on TV in America was a masturbating bear, and I remember thinking, I think I'm gonna like it here, my god.
Speaker 1: But there's a few others we have a guide to Adam Sandler, Conan taking the award from David Letterman, his hero, but also something that might have been wrong on our show for many years? Did we have the Walker told me, Aids told me I have Aid's clip wrong. Have we had it wrong all this time? Let's discuss next