Speaker 1: Ah, Yes, you're listening to the world famous Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle.
Speaker 2: Don't forget.
Speaker 1: All of our content is posted on the iHeart app. So if you want to listen to our show without music, you could do that little twelve minute single servings of Ben and Skin magical content for your ears waiting for you on the iHeart app. This segment's brought to you by Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen, only one location in Dallas Fort Worth. It's in Plano at Preston and Plano Parkway. But that one location was voted best pizzeria and all of DFW by readers of the Dallas Morning News skin Wire.
Speaker 2: Folks flocking to Andrews. Man.
Speaker 1: The reputation is deserved Israel, and people want to try it for themselves, and once they do, they become regulars. Five different styles that they've mastered. You gotta try the Dallas style. That's their own, that is proprietary not only to them, but our region.
Speaker 2: Man, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: They have great pasta dishes, an awesome bar including roller Town, Bear Works, the brewery. Ben and I are partners, and so don't miss out. Preston and Plano Parkway. It's Andrew's American Pizza Kitchen. All right, coming up Herelitarily, did I almost get into a brawl in our parking lot i walked in?
Speaker 2: And what?
Speaker 1: Did I almost get into a verbal altercation of my way home yesterday? Maybe there's just beef surrounding me at all times. That's next.
Speaker 2: But right now it's time for this.
Speaker 1: And now it's time for since week Day Up Day, featuring veteran news anchor Kat's on tweets.
Speaker 2: Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Hey Katy, hey man, time for the news.
Speaker 2: How y'all being Where have you been? Man?
Speaker 1: It's been coming out both ends from me. Really, that's the opposite of your normals. Yeah, I like you when it's reciprocated. Right, all, got to feel better, you gotta go. I'll take over Fort Kevin.
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 2: All right? Uh? Have you guys ever had liquid death? Yes?
Speaker 1: I know all about it. I think that some of the biggest investors in that live here. But it's essentially water that comes in a very cool looking can. The can is awesome, So I guess for people who want to be at a concert and want to fit in, like they're drinking or they want to carry a water bottle. It's water but with like a cool name, right cool can. Yeah, it's a punk rock can skull on it and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see it at a lot of concerts. I remember first seeing it and being highly confused. But it's awesome.
Speaker 1: But that's the point though, right, Absolutely, it's interesting too because it's you know, it's demographic oriented, like when you're my age, you don't care what anybody sees you drink or not drink, right, like the idea of oh man, if I drink this water, I'm not cool like you. Just so, it's definitely for teenagers and people in their twenties. Eventually you get to an age where you realize you're not cool and there's no hope. Yeah, you start really going out of your way to an extra not be cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's kind of your thing.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, the other night when my son was making all that noise outside and I went out there and I was still wearing my socks, my business socks earlier.
Speaker 2: It just like my dad used to business times is what it is. It is what it is.
Speaker 1: So I was always like, wait, what so what is the flavor of it? Whenever I would see it, is it like punk lemon? I don't know, and allow it's water. It's like okay, so it's just expensive water and a death metal can got it. And then I was like, I guess, man, and then I saw it's like worth one point four billion, yes, like, oh well, okay, I guess they knew what they were doing. I love marketing, so I love the whole concept behind it. It's like one of my favorite areas of marketing is vodka because it's odorless, tasteless, and colorless, and so really all it is is marketing. I mean there might be little tweaks to Vodki here and there that make one stand out or be different.
Speaker 2: But I love stuff like that.
Speaker 1: And so when you're talking about water, I mean that's basically the odorless, colorless, tasteless right absolutely. And obviously the water market is huge. Now do you guys drink much flavored water every day?
Speaker 2: What do you drink? It's all I drink.
Speaker 1: I drink some uh the doctor with soda. When I used to do soda, Hit me to some flavored water that I can drink, and so I mix it every day it's a powder.
Speaker 2: Oh you mix it. You don't go like it's thing.
Speaker 1: It's called doctor Berg's or something, Okay, but you never go by like the flavored over the counter waters like Topo Chico or Lacroix or any of those.
Speaker 2: Kinds of things. I think Waterloo is one.
Speaker 1: I got friends that drink tons of Topo Chico, like that's what they drink with tequila or just by itself.
Speaker 2: Really, yes, is it like club soda? Yes, yeah, it's just you know, sparkling water flavored waters. Yeah, it's nicely tough, even with it with flavor in it. I could see it. Club soda to me, just tastes like like burnt plastic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why I mix it with tequila. I don't drink it by well.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a different thing that you're doing normal people. Right, I'm not a normal person because like I'll you know, I've been at plays with him, and do you guys have some water? Because when I want water, I want water r And they're like, yeah, I got a Tobo Chico in there.
Speaker 2: I'm like, uh, do you have water? Because that's not water, it's carbonated.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like you're.
Speaker 1: Trying to tell me that mister Pib tastes like Doctor Pepper.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. It might be go ahead, take the floor as yours, Christina.
Speaker 3: No, I do not want the wrath of the Metroplex right now.
Speaker 1: I mean they're busy with something else. Now's the time to have a wrong, mister Pib opinion. If you want to, no one's gonna notice. So I could be wrong, Okay, So anyway, it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of like.
Speaker 1: I'd like a coke. Please, we have pepsi. That's not what I ordered. They don't taste the same. Okay, good, you don't have coke. Don't tell me to drink pepsi. They're not the same. Same thing with this. When I want water, I want water. Sometimes I want flavored water. But anyways, that is a massive market. I mean it's massive. Right. Well, there's a dude out of Saint Mark's locally. He's a college graduate, but he went to high school at Saint Mark's and he has got his eyes on the prize and he's getting into the flavored water market with a new product called not Beer. It's a Texas made drink that might just appeal to the Budweiser drinkers of the world without the hangover. That's according to an article written by our friend Sarah Blaskovich. So the sub headline is, look out liquid death, here comes not beer. And if you look, did you look at the can of this bend describe it? Well, I'm not looking at it right now, but it reminded me of a generic beer can.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of looks like a Pat's Pastwu women.
Speaker 2: It reminded me of Duff's beer.
Speaker 1: So to Christina's point, it looks like to me and I'm color blind guy, perhaps blue ribbon and Budweiser colors.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know.
Speaker 1: And so basically, not beer comes in an eye catching red can sixteen ouncers, like the big ears you'd grab from an ice down bucket at a party. Uh, it is a zero damn thing, came up. It's a zero calorie sparkling water out out. I don't like sparkling water.
Speaker 3: Sparkle Okay, hold on, I think this is for because you know, the younger generation, they keep or we keep seeing that they're drinking less. Yes, so this is kind of like what you would drink at the lake instead of a beer or oh god, what's the other things that kids usually drink. It's not Topo Chico. It's an alcoholic drink.
Speaker 2: Oh oh like uh yeah, no, but I know the high noon.
Speaker 3: Yes, like Hi noon and stuff like that. They could just drink this instead and no, yeah, you wouldn't be dehydrated at all and no hangover.
Speaker 1: It's uh, that's what people generally referred to as water. Yeah, and I think I think it's uh, it's it's not always I want subterfuge here. I want to trick somebody into thinking I'm drinking, and I worry about everyone thinks.
Speaker 2: Right, it's just fun and different.
Speaker 1: Also, it's not boring like a regular bottle of water, and so it might be a conversation starter as well.
Speaker 3: And I think it helps your habit too, Like you're used to reaching for a cold beer. This is kind of the same.
Speaker 2: Here's the guy who made it. Want to hear what he thinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's our mission to make drinking healthy beverages more fun. We do that by taking inspiration from the brands that have done the best job of associating their products with fun, which are beer brands. He goes on, and by the way, this is where it goes on to say, liquid death is like.
Speaker 2: One point four billion in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: This kid went to Vanderbilt, and people ages eighteen to thirty four are binge drinking alcohol less often. About forty percent in that age bracket don't drink at all. I wonder what that was ten years ago. I wish forty percent don't drink it all.
Speaker 2: I don't buy that. I don't believe that. Is that possible? Sure? I hope so? Really? Yeah, no, I think so.
Speaker 1: And I bet, like even when Ben drinking was at his peak, I bet it's only thirty percent that don't drink like. I mean, if you think about it, still half the population in that age group drinks alcohol. So you were saying thirty percent don't drink, right, That's what I was saying. Oh he is saying forty percent don't drink, right, don't drink at all. And I'm saying that's probably at an old time high. There's two reasons for that.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's just change in consumer habits happen in a lot of reasons ways. But also to the rise in THCHC yep THC. Oh absolutely, and so that's that's a big competitor. I mean the drinks THC drinks, but also people that can just legally smoke weed yeah yeah, or gummy like you run into it all the time. It's like we'll go out with a big group of people and oh, you're not drinking, are you good? And he's like, oh yeah, and they hold up of the gummies that they're enjoying. So it's like, you know, there's just more options where it used to be just alcohol for people that won't get lit.
Speaker 2: Here's another quote. Here's a story.
Speaker 1: He was at the Granada Theater at a show because you know, he rages and he needed another drink, but he didn't need another beer, so he didn't want to hold a plastic bottle of Ozarka. I felt like I had given up on having fun. It was really at that moment that I was like, man, what a difference in the consumer experience based on the psychology which is driven by the packaging, the ritual, the marketing, the branding. Thinking maybe it's the next million dollar idea. He raised two point four to five million from family and friends, started selling Not Beer in regional grocery stores on Amazon in twenty twenty four, and it's growing ever since. This brings up og Not beer as a sparkling water that is comparable to Topo Chico and Lacroix. It's unflavored water with an added electrolyte and mineral blend, and obviously dry.
Speaker 2: January was great for them.
Speaker 1: So that's the latest big thing that's happening out there on the market.
Speaker 2: Good for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's a Texas boy and local. Yeah.
Speaker 1: St Mark's right, So that's the thing that's exploding out there.
Speaker 2: I'll say this.
Speaker 1: I recently was working on music with some friends and we'd been drinking and I didn't want to drink anymore, but I wanted to keep drinking, and I drank a non alcoholic beer. It was a non alcoholic IPA.
Speaker 2: It was badass. Really, it was a great experience.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know those existed. I mean, I've heard of non alcoholic beer, but not an ipa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they had The place was down the hall of the bar. There had three different non alcoholic beers, and I was like, yeah, I'll try that. I'll try that non alcoholic ipa.
Speaker 2: And it was good.
Speaker 1: Now probably too, I'd been drinking already, so my taste buds were calibrated for beer. But it tasted good to me, and I felt like I was still vibing and we're doing our thing and it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: But I isn't putting more alcohol into my body.
Speaker 1: It's very much like after you've been drinking and the attractiveness of people is increased.
Speaker 2: It's a good really, you your taste.
Speaker 1: Of the non alcoholic IPA was enhanced by the fact that you were already properly supported by alcoholic IPAs.
Speaker 2: I think you're right.
Speaker 1: I think I was looped up already, and I think maybe if I'd started my night with a non alcoholic ip I'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, Man, this sucks or maybe not.
Speaker 1: I don't know who knows, but maybe I need to try that first and see how it happens. But anyways, shout out to a new drink called not beer.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Coming up next, did our friend Ben Rogers get into a confrontation in the parking lot outside iHeartMedia? Did he throw those beads? Does he have a black eye? We'll get to details next right here. On ninety some point one, The Eagle