Speaker 1: Hey everybody, and welcome to another deep dive with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So today we're diving into the world of networking with.
Speaker 2: The help of Hazene Gaber's Comtia Network Plus Exam and ten zero zero zero seven Study Guide.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This book is, uh, it's a great one, really great whether you're prepping for the Network Plus Exam or just want to like understand how networks. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just the fundamentals work at.
Speaker 1: A really basic level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a really good resource for that.
Speaker 1: And what's really neat about this book is that it takes a vendor neutral approach.
Speaker 2: Yes, very important. So it's kind of like you're learning how a car works before you decide whether you want a Ford or a Chevy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not learning about a specific brand of networking equipment. You're learning about the principles the concepts of networking that apply in general, regardless of the equipment you got it. So I was flipping through this book and there are some really fascinating little details.
Speaker 2: It's a big book.
Speaker 1: I mean, did you know that with IP there are enough unique IP addresses for every grain of sand on Earth?
Speaker 2: I did know that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's incredible. It's like, I mean, that's.
Speaker 2: Why they had to come up with IPv six right there, because we were running out, running out of addresses with IPv four.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: With the number of devices connecting to the Internet these days.
Speaker 1: It's only going to get worse or better depending on how you look at it.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, and this book covers so much more than just IP addresses. Oh yeah, I mean this really It goes into the five core areas of networking fundamentals, starting with just the fundamental building blocks of how networks work, and then going into the complexities of routing and switching, and then IP addressing and subnetting.
Speaker 1: And important concepts.
Speaker 2: We can't forget about network security.
Speaker 1: The most important one, argue, I mean, what.
Speaker 2: Good is a network if it's vulnerable to attack?
Speaker 1: This book really explores the essential tools and strategies for keeping networks safe.
Speaker 2: From all the bad actors, all sorts of bid digital mischief.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It even goes into advanced.
Speaker 2: Concepts like network virtualization.
Speaker 1: Network virtualization, and storage technologies. So where do we even begin. I think we start with the most basic question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is a network?
Speaker 1: What is a network?
Speaker 2: At its most basic A network is two or more devices that can talk to each other, okay, share information. So think about like your home Wi Fi network. You've got your laptop, your smartphone, your smart TV, maybe a gaming console. Right, they're all on the same network, right, They're all.
Speaker 1: Talking to each other, they're sharing data, and they're accessing the Internet through that through one connector through that one connection point.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: What about the devices themselves, Like, we hear these terms like routers and switches, sure, but I'm not always clear on what they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so those are essential pieces of networking hardware. So let's start with switches. Yeah, they act like traffic directors within a local network. Okay, So think of a switch as a central hub in your house, connecting all your devices and making sure data gets to the right destination.
Speaker 1: So if I'm streaming a movie on my smart TV, the switch is ensuring that the data from the Internet is going to here, is getting to my TV and not.
Speaker 2: TB and not your laptop ap top exactly. Switches use what's called a maxi address table, okay, to keep track of which device is connected to which port. All right, So it's kind of like a directory maps each device to its physical location on the network.
Speaker 1: So switches manage the flow of data within a single network within a single network. Yeah, okay, but what about routers okay.
Speaker 2: So routers are the bridge between different networks. They connect your home network to the wider internet, gotcha. So it directs traffic between your local devices okay, and the outside world.
Speaker 1: So the router is like the gateway to the Internet, to the Internet exactly.
Speaker 2: And it uses IP addresses, which are like global addresses okay for devices on the Internet, gotcha, to determine the best pass for data to travel.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to think about how all this happens behind the scenes every time we do anything online.
Speaker 2: Every time you send an email, yeah, every time you browse a website. There's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: Kind of But one thing that I've always found a bit mystifying is the concept of ports okay and protocols.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, think of ports as virtual doorways on your computer. Okay. Each port is assigned the specific number, and different services or applications use different ports to send and receive data.
Speaker 1: So each application has its own has its own designated entrance little interests on my computer exactly. And then there are protocols the.
Speaker 2: Protocols are like sets of rules or procedures that govern how data is exchanged between devices.
Speaker 1: So is ports are like doorways, protocols are like.
Speaker 2: The instructions on how to use the doorway.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: For example, when you browse the web, your computer uses a protocol called HTTP to communicate with web servers.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: HTTP defines how your browser requests web pages and how the server responds with the content.
Speaker 1: So HTTP is like the language.
Speaker 2: The language of the web. Every browser, every web server knows how to speak it. And there's tons of other protocols. Each one is designed for specific purposes, like sending email or transferring files.
Speaker 1: This is a lot of complexity to make this all work seamlessly. Is there a way to make sense of all these layers? There is a communication That's where the OSI model comes in.
Speaker 2: OSI OSI what is?
Speaker 1: It's a conceptual framework that divides network communication into seven distinct layers. Seven layers, seven layers, like a cake, like a case. A lot of people describe it as a seven layer cake.
Speaker 2: I love a cake analogy.
Speaker 1: Each layer represents a specific function in the communication process.
Speaker 2: So what are the different So the bottom layer is the physical layer, Okay, it deals with the physical transmission of data over cables or wireless signals. Okay, so the bits and bytes moving across the network, so.
Speaker 1: Like the foundation, the foundation of the cake of our cake.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay. Then we move up to the data link layer, which focuses on managing access to the physical medium and making sure that data transfer between devices on the same network is reliable. Okay, So things like MSc addressing and error detection.
Speaker 1: So make sure that the right data gets to the right device.
Speaker 2: Exactly, even if there's errors during transmission. Then you've got the network layer, which handles routing traffic between different networks. Ok So that's like the postal service of the Internet, making sure data packets get delivered to the correct destination, even if it involves crossing multiple networks.
Speaker 1: So the routers are coming in.
Speaker 2: That's where routers come in. They're like the post office sorting centers, gotcha, figuring out the best route for those data packets to get to their final destination. Then what above the network layer, You've got the transport layer make sure that data is delivered reliably and in order.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it's like a quality control check for data transmission.
Speaker 1: Make sure nothing gets lost exactly or jumbled up, jumbled up along the way. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The next three layers are the session, presentation, and application layers okay, and they deal with increasingly higher level functions okay. The session layer manages connections between devices, the presentation layer handles things like data formatting and encryption okay, And the application layer is where users interact with software like web browsers and email clients.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was a whirlwind tour of the OSI model seven layers. I can see how breaking it down into those layers makes it easier to understand this whole complex process of network communication.
Speaker 2: It's a very powerful tool for visualizing how data flows across a network.
Speaker 1: Well, we've covered a lot of ground in this first part of our deep dive. We have. We've explored the basic concepts of networks, delved into the rolls of switches and routers, and even tackled the OSI model.
Speaker 2: That the seven layer cake.
Speaker 1: I'm hungry, me too, But there's still so much more to discover. Oh yeah, welcome back to our deep dive into networking.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: Last time, we built a really solid foundation. Yeah, we did exploring, you know, just the core concepts of networks. And even like dissecting the OSI model that delicious seven layer cake.
Speaker 2: It is a good analogy.
Speaker 1: I love that analogy. But let's not get lost in the layers. I want to focus in on two key players, routers and switches.
Speaker 2: Very important.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people get these mixed up.
Speaker 2: It's easy to do.
Speaker 1: What is the difference between a router and a switch.
Speaker 2: So imagine you're sending a letter.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: A switch is like the mail room in an office building. Okay, make sure the letter gets to the right person on the same floor. A router is like the post office. It figures out how to send that letter across cities or states or countries.
Speaker 1: So a switch manages connections within a local network like a home or an all right, like a home earn office exactly, while a router connects different networks together.
Speaker 2: Yes, so your home network to the internet, right, that's your router's job.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Switches operate within a single broadcast domain and they forward data only to the intended recipient based on their MC address.
Speaker 1: Right. We talked about MC addresses before, those unique identifiers.
Speaker 2: Like a serial number for your device.
Speaker 1: So a switch uses a man a reutter address table they do to figure out where to send data.
Speaker 2: Packets like a detective building a case.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Every time a device connects to a switch, the switch learns its MS address and what port it's connected to. Okay, and then whenever data arrives for that device, the switch checks its little table and says, oh, I know where you go, and it sends it on its way. Very cool, very efficient.
Speaker 1: What about routers? How do they figure out the best path for data?
Speaker 2: So? Routers use IP addresses okay. Such are like global addresses for devices on the Internet, okay, and they determine the most efficient route okay. Contain something called routing tables, which are like maps of the network, and they're constantly being updated with information about the best paths to different destinations.
Speaker 1: So it's like a GPS for data packets.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy.
Speaker 1: It's constantly calculating the optimal.
Speaker 2: Route, yeah, based on traffic conditions and network congestion all that.
Speaker 1: And they don't just blindly forward data, No they don't. They're also playing a critical role in network security by filtering.
Speaker 2: Praffic based on predefined rules, so.
Speaker 1: They can block unwanted traffic.
Speaker 2: Like a digital bouncer at a club for entering the network exactly. Okay. Routers can also perform something called Network address translation MAT you got it, which allows multiple devices on a private network to share a single public IP address.
Speaker 1: Why is that necessary?
Speaker 2: So we're running out of public IP addresses. We have so many devices connecting to the Internet these days. That NAT helps conserve those precious addresses by allowing multiple devices within a private network like your home network, Yeah, to share a single public IP address that's provided by your Internet service provider.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a single phone number for your entire household. I like that yet, but each person has their own extension.
Speaker 2: To the outside world. It just looks like a single connection, okay, but internally you've got multiple devices sharing that connection, gotcha.
Speaker 1: So NAT addresses that IP address shortage. It does, but also adds a layer of security.
Speaker 2: Right because it masks the internal IP address of your devices in.
Speaker 1: The outside world.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Speaking of IP addresses, yes, you mentioned that with IPv six, there are enough addresses for every grain of sand on Earth.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of addresses.
Speaker 1: Well, we need so many.
Speaker 2: Because the world is becoming increasingly interconnected. Yeah, We've got billions of devices connecting to the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, smartphones, laptops, tablets.
Speaker 2: Smart refrigerators, smart coasters.
Speaker 1: Everything's getting smart.
Speaker 2: Everything is smart. Yeah, and they all need a unique IP address communicate IPv six. Make sure we're not going to run out anytime soon.
Speaker 1: It's like future proofing the Internet exactly. I'm sure there's enough room for everything, for all the devices it's coming online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the Internet of Things.
Speaker 1: So we were talking about routers and you mentioned that they use routing tables to figure out the best path for data. Yes, but what happens if there are multiple paths available.
Speaker 2: That's a great question within a network, So that can lead to some problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wouldn't that lead to confusion?
Speaker 2: Data could get lost or delivered.
Speaker 1: Out of order, right, like loop in around.
Speaker 2: Lukes are bad. Yeah, So that's where spanning tree protocol comes in. Spanning tree Spanning tree protocol, Okay, think about a city with multiple routes to a destination. Okay, if there's a traffic jam on one route, cars might start circling endlessly trying to find a way through. Spanning Tree protocol is like a traffic management system for the network. Okay. It intelligently disables redundant paths to prevent data I'm getting trapped in those loops.
Speaker 1: So it makes sure that everything flows.
Speaker 2: Smoothly, keeps that data flowing nice and efficiently. You're the network, yes, avoids any bottlenecks or traffic jams.
Speaker 1: This is all making a lot more sense.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear it.
Speaker 1: Routers and switches they seem like simple boxes. They do, but they're doing a lot of work.
Speaker 2: They're the unsung heroes of the networking world. They are, they really are.
Speaker 1: I have one more question before we move on. I've heard this term power over Ethernet POE POE.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a cool one.
Speaker 1: What is that and why is it useful?
Speaker 2: So traditionally, devices like security cameras or VIP phones require separate power and data connections. POE lets you deliver both power and data over a single Ethernet cable.
Speaker 1: So I could power a security camera you could just by plugging it into the network exactly. That's neat.
Speaker 2: It simplifies installation, it reduces clutter because you don't need all those power adapters, and it's especially useful for devices that are installed and hard to reach place like ceilings or walls.
Speaker 1: You're not running separate power cables.
Speaker 2: No, you don't have to.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about efficiency, it's about flexibility and.
Speaker 2: Ease of installation. Yeah, very cool technology.
Speaker 1: This has been really insightful. I feel like I'm starting to get how these devices work together and all ties together to make the internetwork.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 1: But speaking of complexity, I think it's time to tackle a topic that a lot of people find intimidating, a.
Speaker 2: Dreaded topicuetting subnetting. It's like the art of dividing a large kingdom.
Speaker 1: Into smaller, more manageable provinces. Right, a little bit of math involved.
Speaker 2: We're going to demystify this concept will and reveal the logic behind the curtain those IP address ranges. We're going there lead the way.
Speaker 1: I'm ready. Welcome back to the Deep Dive Part three. We've journeyed through the foundational layers of networking.
Speaker 2: We have explored the rolls of routers and switches and even dipped our toes into that vast ocean of IP addressing. We've covered a lot, but now it's time to fortify our digital kingdom. Yes it is today. We're talking about network security.
Speaker 1: Very important.
Speaker 2: The shields and safeguards that protect our data from the bad guys, those who would seek to exploit it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a network without security is like a cash hole with its drawbridge always down.
Speaker 2: Very vulnerable, very vulnerable. Security should be like woven into the fabric of any network from the very beginning, from the initial design to the ongoing maintenance.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: What are some of the most common network attacks? Oh, there's so many the security people worry about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a constant battle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you've got your brute force attacks like denial of service DOTS attacks yep.
Speaker 2: Which attempt to overwhelm a network.
Speaker 1: With traffic, just a flood of traffic.
Speaker 2: Causing a digital traffic.
Speaker 1: Jamp, basically making it unusable.
Speaker 2: That blocks legitimate users. Right. Then there are the sneakier attacks, right, Yeah, the ones that are harder to detect.
Speaker 1: Man in the middle attacks, unlus somebody's intercepting communication.
Speaker 2: Sitting right in the middle between.
Speaker 1: Two parties, eavesdropping or even injecting malicious code.
Speaker 2: It's like having a spy listening in on your phone.
Speaker 1: Calls, right, but this is our digital conversation exactly. And then malware, ah, malware, malicious software.
Speaker 2: Yes, the viruses and worms that can really ransomware, spyware, mess things, all sorts of nasty stuff out there.
Speaker 1: How do we defend our networks?
Speaker 2: Oh, you need multiple layers of protection, like an onion, Like an onion exactly. Okay, So the first line of defense is your firewall.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The firewall like a gatekeeper.
Speaker 1: It controls the flow of traffic in and out of the network. So it inspects h data packet coming in and out.
Speaker 2: It looks at every single.
Speaker 1: One, deciding whether to allow it through based on rules that you set. So it can filter traffic based on all sorts.
Speaker 2: Of things IP addresses, port numbers, protocols, wow, specific applications.
Speaker 1: That's reassurance.
Speaker 2: It's very powerful.
Speaker 1: But firewalls alone can't detecked against every threat.
Speaker 2: No, you need more.
Speaker 1: What else do we need?
Speaker 2: Intrusion Detection and Prevention systems IDPs? IDPs? That's right.
Speaker 1: What do they do?
Speaker 2: They're like vigilant guards. They're constantly monitoring network activity, looking for suspicious patterns, okay, and they take action to block or mitigate those threats.
Speaker 1: So they're like our security cameras, like.
Speaker 2: Security cameras and motion detectors, always watching and then.
Speaker 1: Encryption, scrambling data into unreadable formats.
Speaker 2: Like putting your secret documents in a lock box.
Speaker 1: That only you have the key to open, exactly. And encryption is used everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 2: These days, online transactions, email, protecting passwords.
Speaker 1: So much of our digital lives depend on it.
Speaker 2: It really does.
Speaker 1: But technology can only go so far, right, what about the human element?
Speaker 2: Oh, the human element the weakest link.
Speaker 1: So often the weakest link.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you need strong security policies, okay, and user education, things like strong password policies, multi factor authentication, regular secure already. Awareness training can make a huge difference.
Speaker 1: So creating a culture of security where everybody understands the importance of.
Speaker 2: These things exactly. Security is not just about technology, it's about people. Process is a commitment to protecting our data.
Speaker 1: Well, this deep dive into network security has been it's a constant evolution of threats and defenses.
Speaker 2: It's an arms race. Yeah, but knowledge is power, it is, and with knowledge and vigilance we can build strong defenses.
Speaker 1: This deep dive has been a really great foundation.
Speaker 2: We started from the beginning in networking and we've come a long way from.
Speaker 1: The basic principles to routing, switching, security.
Speaker 2: All important stuff.
Speaker 1: We've covered a lot of ground, but this is really just the beginning.
Speaker 2: It is there's always more to learn.
Speaker 1: Especially as technology continues to evolve.
Speaker 2: It never stops changing.
Speaker 1: Before we sign off, I have one final question for our listeners. Now that you have this deeper understanding of how networks work and the importance of security, what steps are you going to take to protect your own own digital footprint.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, think about it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us on this deep dive.
Speaker 2: It's been pleasure.
Speaker 1: Until next time, stay curious, stay informed, and stay safe.