Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 3: Get off our show, idiot. The kids are crying or trail off.
Speaker 2: The countries are.
Speaker 4: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Intermurals, Brother, Goldplay Intermurals.
Speaker 5: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 5: Here we go, Happy Tuesday. Everybody, welcome in. It is another edition of Coffee and Company fuel Beeth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 6: My name's Nick Coffee. Nice to meet you. I hope you knew that. If not, now you do, and I hope you remember it.
Speaker 5: We've got the one and only Austin Montgomery alongside the Tribal Chief, who's fresh off of his appearance last night at Monday Night Raw.
Speaker 2: We were in there.
Speaker 5: Rather than asking about the overall show itself, tell me about the Sweet the Sweet Life.
Speaker 2: How was that it was? It was? It was pretty awesome. We we uh uh the sweets.
Speaker 4: I think it's I forget what it's called it's named after some bourbon but it was really nice as decked out in all cards. The seats were nice. They were cushioned. Uh, they had like sort of like a backrest and everything. It was pretty awesome. Had some free uh, had some free glides.
Speaker 5: You got more room, you got more I mean it's you're more comfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So you know, you asked me this yesterday and I had a quick answer. But I never really thought about, like I wouldn't even know what to expect if I ever attended any event in any arena. That was a sweet I've been very fortunate to be able to get press credentials, you know, to get into games and stuff throughout my career, which is always great. They take good care of us and whatnot for the most part. But uh, you know, a suite, I mean that's where you got to go. I'm just imagining more room yep, more comfort, of course, and then like you don't have to go to the concession stand right right now.
Speaker 4: They were they the the cores and michelobe lights were mikeelob ultras. I'm sorry, we're flowing. And some chicken tenders up there, some uh, some sliders, some chips and cases, and it's all in the suite for you. Yeah, it was already in the suite.
Speaker 6: What about restrooms? Does that work?
Speaker 4: You walk you as soon as you walk out of your personal suite, it's like it's out there kind of in the hallway. It's it seemed like it took forever to get to though, because I mean, it's up there. You got to go to like a certain floor. There's like the usher on the elevate or on the escalator. So that's that's pretty cool. It was, like I said, it was all decked out and card stuff, So that was that was pretty neat to see. And of course it was like dark when you walk in, I guess because they don't know, but most of the show was dark. All the light is basically like on the ring.
Speaker 6: So I watched last night.
Speaker 5: I pulled it up on Netflix for the first time ever watching Raw on Netflix, and I watched a little bit of it. My son, who, of course we've talked about, he's really into wrestling right now. He doesn't like when they talk. He wants them to wrestle. But the guy who clearly seemed to be the most popular person in attendance last night.
Speaker 2: Uso Juso.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he didn't actually wrestle. He was he was doing you know, the talking and the promo stuff and whatnot. But it was energetic and he was moving his hands and yeah, exactly, whatever that is, that's what he was doing, and it got the crowd going. But yeah, we watched, and I wasn't really I guess honestly, I just I'm thinking of what Monday Night Raw looked like on television, you know, twenty years ago, which clearly it's come a long way. But I felt like the entire setup was I mean, it was really nice. It looked cool as hell. Again, the product value that you're getting in twenty twenty five for a company like Netflix that invested an insane amount of money to be able to exclusively air this television show, you're going to get the best of the best. It just was a little different. And what you just said was the first thing I noticed is that very much intimate lighting, dark kind of theater, like, I mean, it didn't I could tell it was the young sinner. And when the crowd would get really loud, like obviously you knew they were in a really really really big area, but at times I couldn't, Like, if you wouldn't have told me, If I knew nothing and I just turned it on, I wouldn't. You could have told me they were in a theater somewhere, and I believe you, I wouldn't have known that it was an arena. But you know, they do the pan shots to the crowd and clearly you can tell it's it's an arena full of thousands of people that were there ready for.
Speaker 4: The Actually they were hot last night too, everyone everyone was hot. The fiance enjoyed herself so nice, Entucky into it herself. But she's just kind of like moves. She doesn't like all she likes all the talking when they're like ish talking each other.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she was some action, no downtime right right, But.
Speaker 4: When the when the when the matches are happening, that's when she's kind of like not paying attention if you're like not like a nerd like me and just kind of like watching the story with that. She likes the story being told by like the announcers and stuff like that, and obviously you don't get that during a live show. You know, there's feedback and stuff like that. So when an actual wrestling match is happening. It's you're just hearing like the moves of the mat and you're kind of flowing along with the crowd, which she kind of gets lost in.
Speaker 2: But then the next sect it would come.
Speaker 6: I'm with you, Sidney, and then and then she and she she gets it.
Speaker 4: And I told her we've went to WrestleMania before, and I said, and she had that exact same thing. She said, wait, they're like not talking, you can't hear them. I'm like, no, this is all matches. And I tried telling her WrestleMania that's like the culmination of all the stories. There's hardly any backstage segments. There's gonna be some entertaining spots, but like that's all the storylines being wrapped up, where like this is like the episode that's being shown on TV. There's just gonna there's gonna be a lot of backstage shenanigans. There's gonna be like a lot of promos and stuff like that. And I think she is able to enjoy that a little bit more than just strictly match after match after match after match after match.
Speaker 5: I was gonna ask you this yesterday if it would have just been tickets, but good seats but not the suite. Would you still have asked her to go or do you feel like the suite made it to where it was the ultimate experience for her because she got, you know, whenever, whenever it was downtime, as you say, she could just you know, enjoy the the atmosphere that is being in a suite at the yum Cell.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and they even in the little the area that's where before you walk down to the actual seats of the suite, there was like like a couple of couches and stuff on the.
Speaker 6: Night chill and large.
Speaker 2: Babe.
Speaker 4: I like it. It felt nice. I feel like a regular at the KFCM center.
Speaker 6: Look at you again.
Speaker 5: I've it just dawned on me as you were describing this, the the the overall setup I've been into. We used to have a suite here at iHeart at the football stadium one Llen N Cardinals Stadium, and I remember I made my way in there briefly and then and then you know, didn't didn't stick around very long. I was I think, I think I had to head up to the press box. But yeah, I mean it's I would imagine if you end up in a situation where you can get to games and you can find yourself utilizing someone sweet or maybe you have one of your own. Right, it's probably tough to go back from that, right, I mean, yeah, I'm sure you get pretty spoiled up there.
Speaker 4: And of course, like to answer your question, no, it the only way that I would have like asked her and she would have been totally down to go is either like a unique experience like that we're in the suite or like front row seats if we're just like kind of I wouldn't say regular, but just had like general emission seating somewhere in.
Speaker 2: Like the lower bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some standard, Yeah, I would you know that's one of the boys would have went with me or something.
Speaker 2: But I figured you might enjoy this.
Speaker 4: It's sweet. They're gonna feed us up there. There's a you don't even have to watch the show from from your seat, Like there's like a little bar area you can stand up and watch it too. So shout out to my guy, Brian. He runs Brian, He runs at Brian's site. He's big wrestling fan, runs the events at rupp Arena, big fan of I heeart at everything. I heart Kentucky. iHeart Lexington, iHeart Louisville, and him and a couple other of the Rupp Arena fans were in attendance, and that's what they got, the doctor Mark and Sidney Lynn. Is that correct, sweet Cindy Sidney. Yes, that's doctor Mark and Cindy Lynn.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're in those suites.
Speaker 5: Oh nice you were you were at. I can tell you the suite you were in is probably a little nicer than some of the others because we're talking about doctor Mark and Cindy Lynn. So yeah, good spot for you, no doubt. And I'm glad you had yourself. It was awesome, good time. All right, We're gonna have an awesome time today. At least we're gonna try a lot to get into And I want to let you know right away you can take us with you wherever you go.
Speaker 6: If you're busy out and about.
Speaker 5: Doing whatever it is, just know you can listen on the radio app also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. And we'll let you guys be a part of the show today if you'd like. I'll let you know coming up here shortly how you can do that. We have our first opportunity to hear one of the two sides, Mark Pope or Pat Kelsey, discussed the schedule change, and there's not much to it, but we will let you hear what Mark Pope had to say about the game being moved from the typical December date to early early in the season.
Speaker 6: November. Is it November eleventh? I mean that just sounds too early, but I think that may actually be it.
Speaker 4: We thinks crazy twenty first, it's a week of Thanksgiving.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 5: No, No, the Louisville Kentucky game. Yeah, No, it's wait before that, no cause they're yeah, because they're because they're playing before they play in football, which just seems so weird. It's like three weeks before football, which again it's just odd.
Speaker 2: So uh.
Speaker 5: There was a little jab there for Mark Poe, but like it was playful and I wanted to. There's not a whole lot to really take from this, but I just I think we are going to be for a long time looking to see if there's any real, like genuine rivalry animosity between these two coaches. And obviously that could change, but I don't anticipate that. It Well, I think we're just gonna have to get used to the fact that these guys they might do the the very playful you know, acknowledgement of the rival and that people like don't want them to like each other, but I think they genuinely do like each other, which is, you know, kind of weird. I don't think that, you know, we're ever gonna get what we had with Caliperi and Patino that was a personal rivalry.
Speaker 6: But you know, it's just something we're gonna have to get.
Speaker 5: Used to, because I think today just hearing Pope and seeing Kentucky fans use it on social media as if he's talking crap about pat Kelsey and lit No, he's not like they like each other. And just you know, I'm not telling you you have to like it, but like, let's just not Let's not force something in a major way that is so clearly not there. Also, we have to talk about the results in last night's NBA Draft lottery, which we'll get to that coming up in just a moment, because I mean, for those that are of the belief that this is all set up, you got a result last night that certainly doesn't prove those people right, but it makes them I feel, I'd say it makes them feel more justified in thinking that the NBA is rigged, which which I mean, I don't believe that it is. I just can't quite ever think that it would be. But you know, last night, the way that played out with the Mavericks was kind of wild. And then in the NBA playoffs, you've got the Celtics now pretty much done as they lost last night. They're down three to one, and they lost Jason Tatum seemingly for a long time, maybe like next season. I haven't seen any confirmation about the injury, but just about everybody who loves to play doctor online is claiming that he's tore his achilles, which it did. I mean, it was a non contact I mean it certainly looked bad. And when you compare it to other injuries that you witnessed, where it looked as if somebody really, you know, probably ruptured their achilles, I mean, that's what it looked like.
Speaker 6: So that's tough.
Speaker 5: You know, Tatum is a very criticized athlete for reasons that I get, But I don't really know how he became him a punching bag like he's he's very awkward when it comes to kind of you know, charisma and really kind of you know, just I don't know's there's such a force there with Tatum when it comes to like, first of all, he wants to be Kobe Bryant so bad, which that's that's admirable. He looked up to Kobe, idolized Kobe and whatnot, But like there's things along with that that have been kind of cringe. I don't know, he just seems kind of awkward. But he's a really really good player and he has absolutely I mean, he's he's won a title, he's I mean, he's been one of the best players in the NBA for a long time. He's clearly a top tier a one NBA player, and yet you know, he still seems to just if you're a Celtics fan, you love him. Outside of that, I feel like he's not like this villain, like a Draymond Green that everybody just dislikes.
Speaker 6: But you know, he just kind of seems like a cornball in a way.
Speaker 5: And and with all that said, him getting hurt last night, I think there was like there were a lot of fans across the cut NBA fans that is, they were like, you know, I've been pretty hard on this guy. I've probably said some mean things about him. I've probably tweeted out some nonsense, and you know what, I really don't know why not to say. People are out there apologizing, but he's not an unlikable guy. He's just not real popular, which is kind of odd. But obviously nobody wants to see someone of that cam. Nobody wants to see anybody get hurt. But that's an injury that if it is what a lot of people are speculating, I mean, he won't play the rest of this postseason. Obviously they've only got probably one game left, but you got to think he's probably out for all the next year too. I mean, that's not good timing by any means. Also, the college football playoff conversation continues as far as what it will look like when it's expanded, and I keep hearing from the ACC side, which, by the way, the ACC spring meetings are currently going on. I don't have a clue where they are taking place, but you've got some ACC coaches that have been doing some different interviews and Bill Belichick talked today and there's something he said specifically that that tells me he's been told like, if you want to do you want to do this, like, do you want to be our coacher at North Carolina? Because if so, like you need to get out in front of this. You're going to go on ESPN from the ACC Spring meetings. You're gonna go on Good Morning America with Michael Strahan on Friday, and you were going to set the record straight that this is not a circus and your girlfriend is not running the show. And I mean, Belichick doesn't seem like a guy that I think would just fall in line and do whatever a superior tells him. But I do think, like even even he has to read the room here that if you're Carolina and you know, you invested in him and made him a very very you know, I mean, he's already wealthy and already well off. But I mean they paid a lot of money to get Bill Belichick, and clearly I guess you know he wants the job.
Speaker 6: He wouldn't have pursued it if he didn't.
Speaker 5: But like they they got to rain this thing in a little bit, and I think we're starting to this week. See more so here Belichick kind of put some stuff out there that really doesn't change a lot of people's opinion. Mine certainly has not changed. Like, I think this is pretty much what you see. I don't think there's it. I mean, I think this woman is running his life. I don't think she's you know, holding him hostage or holding a gun to his head. But none of this makes any sense. The only real person benefiting from this is her, and to me, that's that's that's how we ended up here.
Speaker 6: So there's that.
Speaker 5: But anyways, back to the ACC side of things. I keep hearing when it comes to the college Football Playoff expansion and the guaranteed slots for the ACC, I'm sorry for the SEC and the Big Ten and then two for the ACC. I mean, look, that's what it's probably gonna be. You have no real like like leverage, I mean, if you if you hold out against it. I mean, I mean, I the reality is this college football is going to do really whatever Greg Sankie wants to do. I mean, he's he's the guy who because he's leading, the biggest bully on the block.
Speaker 6: He's the big bully.
Speaker 5: And I don't know that the ACC in five six years will ever be will be able to say. Man, I can't believe we agreed to only guarantee two spots for our conference when now we're we're we're deep with programs that are really good right now, have a lot of momentum. It looks sustainable. We've got some championship caliber programs here. I can't believe we took that deal. Like I'm not telling anybody that that's what I expect to happen, and that the ACC is about to explode in a good way and really just take off and no longer be third at best when it comes to the conference hierarchy. But just agreeing to it, And again, I don't know what else you can do, but I don't know how. It's one of those It's one of the rare things in my time doing this where I just I can't quite understand why I am in the minority so much when it comes to why would you agree to guaranteed spots per conference like before any games are played? Again, I know, I keep hammering home on that, but like what if things change?
Speaker 6: Like what if?
Speaker 5: And by the way, has college sports ever changed as much in the last five years? I mean, college sports has existed a long time, a lot longer than I've been here. I feel like we've seen more changes in the sport in the last five years than we have at any point over the entire existence of the sports. So it'll again, I think what's been out there as far as each you know, this each conference getting a certain amount of auto bids and whatnot. I imagine that's what's gonna end up happening. I just I just nobody, nobody's considering the fact that you could, you know, let's just say the ACC crumbles and it's not about, hey, you only got like but they may have to they may have to put two ACC teams in when you get to a point where maybe there's like the best team in the league is borderline top thirty. I mean, again, these are hypotheticals that may not ever present themselves.
Speaker 2: But I just.
Speaker 5: I wish there was an easier way to determine a national champion in college football. And look, we've already made a lot of progress. It uhould just be a computer would tell us which two teams were deserving to play for it, Like that was really stupid, right, So we've made progress. I'm not being I don't want to be such a complainer. Whenever, again, now we actually have a bracket and you know, just the playoff race, especially with that expanded to twelve like it was last year. That has given us so much more throughout the season to really kind of you know, lock in on and there's more inclusion, way more programs can at least dream big realistically and say, hey, we're you know, we play in a power league.
Speaker 6: Therefore, if we take care of.
Speaker 5: Business and you know, do really really well in our conference, there's a good chance we get in.
Speaker 6: So you know, that's good, that's progress.
Speaker 5: But first year of a twelve team playoff and now we're fighting once again in the off season. Everybody's yelling at each other about what makes the most sense, and it's really just like there needs to be one either group or individual that has zero connections or ties to any specific school or conference they can actually you know, lead and rule the sport. We have that in college basketball with the NC DOUBLEA. I mean, I know, you know, the committee that decides who makes the tournament. I've oftentimes said that it really shouldn't be people who are you know, athletic directors or presidents at schools because or commissioners of conferences, because clearly there's a conflict of interest there. And also you know they've got like really important jobs where they're not watching college basketball around the clock like a lot of other people are. Like, I'm not saying this to make a bad joke. Joelenardi is as qualified to put together the bracket as anybody. He's not, you know, when I say he's not great at what he does, I mean he's not great at predicting the committee. But like a lot of times, if you look at his bracket on Selection Sunday and you look at what you get that night, I think those who watch college basketball really closely, if they were being objective, they might say that Leonardi did a better job at fielding it. So in college football, what we have is n STAA has nothing to do with it. NSABA has zero to do with the college football playoffs made for TV event. And you've got ESPN executives, and I guess now you've got other TV partners as well. But like TV executives, networks and commissioners like Phillips and Sank and I don't even know who the commissioner of the Big Ten is anymore. And like there's there's just never gonna be a point where those that are you know, involved in this process as far as what decisions are made, how the playoff looks. There's clearly a complict of interest. They're gonna, they're gonna. I mean, their job is to actively at all times advocate for whatever is best for their league, specifically, not for the product that is the college football Playoff and the sport. So like, I just to me, it seems like a bit waste of time because no matter what, each individual is going to just downright advocate for their league. And I don't blame them, like you know, Sankie, he he, He's clearly a very powerful powerful person being the commissioner of the SEC, which is right now the biggest and best conference in college sports, and it has been for a while in football, and now look at him in basketball and look at all the revenue they bring in from the SEC network and all that stuff. So you know, I guess he's looked at as like a bully in the eyes of some. But his job, like quite literally, is to do exactly what he's doing. He can't worry about if the Pac twelve dies like it did, or if the ACC gets poached. I mean, his job is to do whatever is best for the members of the Southeastern Conference. But you know, whatever is great for the Southeastern Conference might kill a conference. Like there needs to be somebody above it all that can can fairly assess it and decide what makes the most sense for everybody. And that doesn't mean that, you know, the ACC gets four teams automatically guaranteed like the SEC. But like there shouldn't be any guaranteed spots for any conference. It should be a committee of people that are objective, that follow it closely, that determine which teams have put together the best resumes in order to make it to the college football play. It's really not that complicated. Actually, I feel like I just had a you know, to be a that's pretty easy. But clearly, you know, when money's involved, TV, networks, all that kind of stuff, it's it becomes a mess. So anyways, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side again. Last night's NBA Draft lottery, the Dallas Mavericks after executing one of the worst trades maybe in the history of sports. As far as the initial reaction, I think we got a long way to go before we can determine if it was one of the worst trades ever. But man Nico Harrison. He's got to be feeling really good about the luck that came his way to where he could potentially salvage his situation in Dallas. Now, some won't call it luck, and they'll claim it was clearly just some type of a setup to where, you know, the small market teams that tank and usually suck, they weren't going to let Coop flag end up there. I've got a I've got a theory on the whole thing, which we'll talk about on the other side. Keep it locked right here. If you want to join us on the show, you can do it. Five O two five to seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. If you'd like to give us a call, you can text in on the Leenn Federal Credit Union text line five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. I'm Nick Coffee. He's Austin Montgomery, and this is Coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: That's right, it is coffee and Company. Well, fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven nine. Excuse me, I was about to uh to birth there, which would have been really unprofessional of me. And you guys know that's the last thing I'm ever. I'm professional. I'm a I'm a I'm a total pro, and I hope you can you can send sarcasm, so apologies.
Speaker 6: Now we're gonna go again.
Speaker 5: It is Coffee and Company, and you know we are field about Thornton's. And I know that if you've listened to this show one other time, hopefully you've listened to it a lot other than just today, you could listen to one show and get maybe fifteen minutes of us, and you have to have heard me talk about Thornton's and why you should be a member.
Speaker 6: So there's no excuse for you to claim that I didn't know. I didn't know.
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you every day. I'm going to tell you again. You can save money at the gas pump. You can take advantage of a lot of great perks they've got going. I have one right here, a white Monster energy drink that I stopped in. Got three of them, three of them for seven bucks. Still a great deal. So again, sign up. If you haven't yet, you can do it for free. Just download the app on your Android, your iPhone, and.
Speaker 6: You will be you'll be good to go, all right.
Speaker 5: So the Dallas Mavericks, they are the winners of the NBA Draft Lottery, which they had a one point eight percent chance of getting the number one pick, and they got it. It's the fourth lowest odds for a winner since nineteen eighty five. And teams that you know tanked because they, I mean probably felt like that was their best chance of getting into the top three or maybe even getting number one and then getting a franchise draft pick that could potentially turn things around for him. And you know, you've got teams like the Wizards, which, by the way, I mean they fell all the way to six. I mean you could have potentially, I mean you had you and three other teams had the best chances of landing the number one spot, and you didn't get it. You got number six. So instead of getting Cooper Flagg, you know, you're getting somebody like Ace Bailey or Jeremiah Fears or Trey Johnson, and maybe those players end up being really, really good. But I think the answer to my question that I asked yesterday, I think I now know the answer to that, and that is that those that cover the NBA and the draft and really would be best suited to evaluate is this a strong draft? Is it a week draft they've I mean at this draft it I don't know if it's terrible, but there's a humongous gap seemingly between Cooper Flag and everybody else. And I'm sure many will tell you that it's because Cooper Flag is just that good, and maybe that's the case, but I also happen to think that there's a big gap because outside of him, like, who do you feel like for sure is gonna even be like a good pro. There'll be plenty of guys that end up having careers that are successful, but as far as like a guy that you could envision being a All Star caliber player, I mean, maybe it's Edgecombe, maybe it's Canipple, I mean, maybe it's Dylan Harper, but I don't I mean, I didn't watch much of Rutgers last year because you.
Speaker 6: Know, why would I.
Speaker 5: So, I uh, and look Trey Johnson from Texas and even Jeremy Fears of Oklahoma. I don't mean to single those guys out, but again, if you're one of these teams that decided to tank, like the Jazz, the Spurs, the Hornets, Wizards, is mentioned the Pelicans. You weren't tanking so you could end up with Derek Queen of Maryland. I mean again, it might be a good player for you, but I don't think that's probably you know, probably who you had in mind, Carter Bryant, the swingman from Arizona. Like I doubt teams were tanking hoping that they would end up in a physician to draft him. So this has led to everyone claiming, and I shouldn't say everyone, but a lot of people claiming, well, the NBA, this is this is, this is rigged because the NBA they're they're helping out Dallas. That I don't understand that lot. Like I mean, if the NBA wanted to somehow cook this thing to where teams like Utah, teams like Charlotte, New Orleans, maybe even Toronto Portland, Like if if the NBA was trying to make it to where there was a really really, really really small percentage chance that those markets ended up with the number one pick, I guess maybe Dallas would make sense. Dallas is a huge market. You know, Luca being traded and then the pieces that they currently have in place, nearly all of them being on the back end of their career. I mean, Klay Thompson in NBA years old as hell, Anthony Davis in NBA years not old as hell, but old but banged up all the time. Kyrie Irving, he's not NBA old as hell, but he's NBA old. I mean, I don't know, Austin, what do you think, your ball knower.
Speaker 2: What would thank you?
Speaker 6: What would you say is old in the NBA? Like I think if you're thirty two year old.
Speaker 4: In the NBA, yeah, because I mean they play a lot of games too, so I got to take that in.
Speaker 5: And I think your position is a factor too, right, Like you know, depending on what position you.
Speaker 2: Play, Yeah, I would.
Speaker 4: I would probably kind of agree with you about thirty two to thirty three years old. And then once are like reaching thirty five, you're like, this guy's still in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And look, there's exceptions, like some guys just you know, for like, let me give you an example. Al Horford has to be one of the oldest guys in the NBA. I'm gonna guess that Al Horford is. Yeah, Al Horford's thirty eight years old, So wow.
Speaker 2: I thought he was older than that.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie, but if he's forty, like, there aren't many forty year old guys in the NBA. So like, if he was forty, I mean he would be not necessarily setting a record, but there aren't many forty year olds. I mean Lebron just turned forty, I believe, right, I think that's this year he celebrated his forty birthday. So so Horford to me, like the way he plays, he's a you know, he's he shoots threes, he's you know, not really necessarily using a whole lot of athleticism or like he's a good skilled big that is pretty good at about everything and really good at a couple of things. And he's got a specific role and he's had his best playing days in Boston, which is why he was in Boston for a while. And you know, then he left and now he's been back in Boston for many years and he's still a good player. So you know, like there's certain guys depending on what you do to where like you can, like Al Horford can do what he's doing for I think at least a couple more years, unless father time really comes and gets him right, So you know, like Dallas, not only did they get rid of a guy who is one of the faces of the NBA in Luca, the guy that they brought in to replace him is again you know, old in NBA standards, and also always injured and got injured as soon as he got there. So you know this actually, Like again, I'm not in any way claiming that I believe that the NBA made it to where the Mavericks got this and nobody else because they were trying to help a big market franchise who was really blossoming. Right, they just made the finals a year ago, and then they just gave it all away by getting rid of Luca. I mean, I'm not you know, I don't believe that, but if they were going to I do think that was the right move. Like when I was looking at all the teams in play for the lottery, I'd never even considered the Mavericks a legitimate option because they had a one point something percent chance, Like it just didn't seem in any way possible.
Speaker 6: But they got it.
Speaker 5: And again I don't think the NBA had anything to do with it, But if you want to run with that, I think Dallas is the type of franchise, not only with the market size, but you know, they were I mean, they were relevant for a while.
Speaker 6: I mean, look the Mavericks.
Speaker 5: I don't know where they rank all time as far as just like notoriety and buzz in the NBA, but they've been pretty relevant for the majority of the time I've watched NBA in the last twenty years. So again, I don't believe that they would ever conspire. But I'm also at tomes naive and would never think that certain things like that could happen in times where I've been proven wrong. But look at this, I mean this, The MAVs lineup next year will likely be this, Kyrie Irving and Klay Thompson, Anthony Davis and then Daniel Gafford.
Speaker 6: Who is that the guy who played for Did he play for Arkansas?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, have you heard of him?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, he's been in the league for a couple of years.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he played.
Speaker 5: He played at Arkansas and was a second was a second round pick, And like, I don't mean, there's not a whole lot here on his statistics that make him look like he's you know, a great player by any means. But you know he's he's a thirty I'm sorry, it's a twenty six year old, you know, I guess role player, role playing big. And then you've got now Cooper Flag, a guy who will be what nineteen years old and maybe one of the best young players to enter the NBA in a long time. So, like, if Cooper Flag is ready to go, which by all accounts he'll be effective from the jump, maybe he'll be really really good from the jump. Like that's actually kind of a perfect scenario. I mean, it's it's way too early to say this, but if you're the Mavericks, you went from hating everything about your franchise because of what Nico Harrison did to where now you have new life right away. And I don't have a clue just how good Cooper Flyave is going to be. I think it'd be a real shocker if he's a bust or something like that. But like, why can't it if this guy is even close to as good as people have claimed he is going to be when it's all said and done, based off his potential and all the skills that he has. I mean, he grew an inch and a half at Duke this past year, Like that's I mean, he's still young and very much still raw and developing, and even in the midst of this development, he's still a really effective player that at any given night in college could go out there and do whatever he wants. I mean, last year, before they took off of the Olympics, I mean, he was competing against Team USA and more than holding his own, he was actually out playing them at certain times. So like, if you're a Mavericks fan like this, this this might work out to where like in the end, you never wanted Luca to go, but if there's one player that might be able to just make you forget that you ever had a Luka Doncic because things are going so great because of what they're bringing to the table.
Speaker 3: Maybe it is.
Speaker 5: Cooper Flag who people think is, you know, gonna be the next best thing to ever happen to basketball. I think his personality and his real you know, he seems pretty mild mannered for the most part, not a whole lot of flair to him, which I don't say that to be critical by any means. It's actually kind of refreshing, But I think that is at times made people not realize just how much hype this guy has had, Like he has had more hype than Zion. He has been I think in the in the public eye as this up and coming phenom that could be one of the best that ever play this game for like three years. So you know, if you're a Mavericks fan, I'm sure you're feeling great. And again, you never know how good anybody is going to be, but I'd say this could work out, and it's a He's a young guy that you know is a great shot blocker. I mean really, there's not a whole lot that you look at Coop Flagg and say, yeah, here's a real big weakness. He's better at certain things than he is at others. But there's a reason why he's viewed as this guy who just has so much potential because there's really no flaws in his game that you know you'll be able to potentially expose at some point.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 5: So these guys I mentioned that are old in the NBA's eyes, which I know I hate saying somebody that's thirty two or thirty one is old, but like in the NBA, you are, You're on the older side for sure. So with all that said, this young phenom could be the perfect piece to kind of help you get through where these guys are getting older. But man, it's Cooper Flag's team already. And you know these guys they're not young anymore. They're not on their prime, their best days are behind them. But man, they're still really good players like Kyrie Ad Klay Thompson.
Speaker 1: They're old.
Speaker 5: And sometimes not available to play, especially Clay and Ad, but still like those are three of the better players to play.
Speaker 6: In the NBA in the last twenty years.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, Clay's a little tough because he was always with a good cast, but he did his own He had his own role in that too, right. Klay Thompson was instrumental for the Warriors run that they've been on. So anyways, not, I mean, my dad told me that we were at my son's baseball game yesterday. My dad told me that the Mavericks won the lottery and he just said it as a he looks like Dallas won the lottery, And I'm like, no.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they just got it. I'm like, what are you talking about, Like there's no way, Yeah, they got it. And like I'm like, there was a one point six percent chance that happens, and like you know, he didn't have any shock value, but sure enough you pop open Twitter. It's all anybody was talking about. Mostly you know, people complaining that it's rigged. But even if you believe that, just know you'll never be able to prove it. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to a coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 5: So tomorrow is my fourteen year wedding anniversary. So my wife and I were planning on next year to celebrate fifteen having a big like trip like where we go somewhere, you know, probably go to another country, just try to really have a special trip to celebrate fifteen years. We'll do something to celebrate this year as well, but nothing, you know, no big trip or anything like that. But anyways, the reason I bring this up is because you know, we're trying to figure out travel plans really over the next year and two years, just because you know, she's very good at preparing for things, and I'm somebody that waits till the last minute procrastinates. But Disney is a place that we I've never gone to. I've never been to Disney World as an adult. I think I went when I was a really little kid, but I don't remember, like I was too young.
Speaker 6: In fact, I know that I went.
Speaker 5: I just know that I don't remember because you know, I was probably I don't know, two, three years old, which, look, you can never operate as a parent with Okay, well I'm not going to do this because my kid's so young you won't remember it. Like, if that's the case, you might as well just lock them up in a cell until they're old enough to remember things, like, you know, so you can't you know, you can't just have that in mind. Well, yeah, I'm not going to have this cool experience with my kid who's three, because you know, when he's ten, he won't even remember it. But anyways, long story short, we've always said that, like we we just don't see us being a family that would like would go to Disney. And we've been able to avoid our kids like begging us and you know, being all into it for a long long time. And I kind of feel like at this point, I mean, maybe Moose gets older and he's really into it and he begs us to go. But Maya, she's cool, she's chilling, she's she's she's she's fine as far as you know, the trips we go on and whatnot. In fact, for a while we would take our kids to the Hillview Fair in Bullet County and they had they had, they had some rise. We told him that was Disney and they believe this for a little while, and you know, then we then they realized, you know, we were, we were we were playing a joke on it. But anyways, I'll bring all this up because I still don't see us ever going to Disney. But knowing what it costs just for a day at Disney now makes me more confident that like, there's no way we could, we would, we could justify going. It'd be one thing to spend this amount of money on something to where we feel like we would enjoy it too. And I know, I know there's people listening right now. No, you would love it, trust me, you would love it. You know, you'll never regret taking your kids because because you know they'll they'll have fun and uh, you know the look on their kids on your kid's face when they see Goofy walking down, you know whatever.
Speaker 6: So isn't Goofy one of the people that you'd see there.
Speaker 5: So anyways, there's a guy who's gone viral because he posted a video showing the cost of a family of five I have just for one day at Disney World.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: So this has over seven million views, and he breaks down all of the he breaks down everything.
Speaker 6: As far as you know, just the entire day.
Speaker 5: So it starts with, let's see, yeah, is the unnamed dad posted a video on social media revealing the price tag for the theme park adventures, starting with tickets to get in at nine hundred and seventy four dollars, which includes god which includes one for a kid that's under ten. So nine hundred and seventy four dollars just to get in, like for a day.
Speaker 6: That'll I mean.
Speaker 2: That's for the whole family, right, yeah, I mean just one person?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, of course, yeah, all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So.
Speaker 6: Let's just do a breakdown here.
Speaker 5: Thirty bucks just for all day parking before they get out of the car, he's thirty bucks.
Speaker 2: In the hole.
Speaker 5: And then the biggest expense is the tickets just to get into the theme park, which costs nine hundred and seventy four for the five of them, and that does include a Florida resident discount for a child that's under the age of ten.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank goodness for that.
Speaker 6: Fueling up for.
Speaker 5: All the waiting in line and riding rides means lots of snacks, which costs lots of money. At Disney, the first round of two bottles of water and three ice creams was twenty nine dollars and fifty cents, and then a pretzel and a beer cost another nineteen dollars. For lunch, the family got personal pizzas, a side and SODA's for a total of forty four dollars and thirty five cents. When they visited the Star Wars Galaxy Park, they spent six dollars and fifty cents on Star Wars themed coke, thirty six dollars on a margarita for Mom, a a chiro and a bottle of water, and another ten dollars in twenty nine. I guess the margarita, the thirty six bucks with the margarita, the chiro on the bottle of water, But then they paid ten dollars and twenty nine cents for a special blue milk for the movie, bringing a total of for the snacks at one hundred one dollar twenty nine cents. Dinner at Disney Springs, an outdoor shopping entertainment area was a was at a Mexican restaurant, and they spent two hundred and forty five dollars on carnitas, carne asada, and more. That brings the grand total UH to just under fourteen hundred dollars. One three hundred and ninety one dollars and ninety one cents is what this family paid for them to go to Disney. That's five two adults, two kids, and then one kid under the age of ten. And yes, I'm sure you're thinking, well, you could probably do it cheaper than that. You know, you can you cannot eat or not drink, but like you're gonna be there all day's yeah, I mean it just I just forty hundred dollars may not be a lot of money to some people, but like that's a full Like you, I could use that to go on vacation by oh yeah, like I could that that could go a long way for more than just one day at Disney, where I would imagine the majority of the time that I'm there, like I'm gonna want to leave and feel like, what did I get myself into?
Speaker 4: Like to me, Disney and you're not gonna do the whole Disney Park in just one day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like to me, I get it that there's there's there's some magic that comes with it, but there's also to me Austin, it kind of seems like hell on Earth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does, the Florida heat, the long lines, Well, that's what they want you to do is pay for the fast pass, and it just looks miserable. There's all I've never been. There's always been some like kid part of me that's like, yeah, that'd be cool to go, just to say that I've went, but I have no desire to go. I'd much rather go to like Universal Studio.
Speaker 5: Yeah you can do, and and again just consider the price point, like there's so much you could do. And again, let's say you are somebody that really does like you like Disney, you think it's cool. You're not looking at it from my perspective, which again, a lot of it as far as the experience seems like hell on Earth to me, But that's just me, Like just let's just say, I'm an old, crotchety curmudgeon who just doesn't like fun, even if you you enjoy the thought of it and you think it would be fun. If I tell you that that's what it called, and then you have a comparison of all the other things you could do with your family for fourteen hundred dollars, Like I think you'd be foolish to choose Disney.
Speaker 6: But again, you know, choose whatever you want. It's your money.
Speaker 5: But like I just I used to talk about this here and there, and there would be so many they would say, oh, look, trust me, you got to you got to do it. I was the same way, you gotta do it.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 5: You'll you'll, you'll never regret taking them, the look on their face when they see you know, min mouse, yeah, mini mouse. And you know, I hear you. I think you're coming from a good place. But talking about it here and there has led to others being like, yeah, we went never again, Yeah we went the biggest waste of money ever and then you know, hell on earth, like you said, Nick, So like I've had some people confirm that, you know, it's not for everybody, right, Like some people go and they love it. I know people who go all the time, and let's not talk about the people who go to Disney. You know, just adults with no kids all the time. Like to me, you got if you got the means to do it, do whatever. But that's weird.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 5: I'm sure I'm doing stuff I like to do, stuff that you all think is weird. So like everybody has some weird quirks about them, but like Disney, I'm out on it. Kids, if you're listening, I doubt you are. You're not going with me. Me and Mom aren't taking you. So you have to find another in the coffee, have to find another sucker, and you have to do some fundraising if you want to go.
Speaker 6: Deal with it.
Speaker 5: We got the Hillview Fair coming up in June, by the way, that'll be your Disney trip. All right, we got two hours left. Stick around right here. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety