Speaker 1: An Englishman, an Irishman, and an American walk into a comic shop to buy the latest issue of the Twilight Zone comic by id W. Now that might sound like the start of a joke, but tonight it is a cold hard fact, because I'm joined by not one, but two guests to discuss issue three of the new Twilight Zone comics run. So, first of all, let me welcome back my old friend and host I've always hold on to small mister Zach Moore. Zach, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, they're happy to be back from the comic shop. At you, Tom.
Speaker 1: It was a good trip, good trip, very fruitful. But we were joined by a first time guest on the twilight Zone Podcast, but a gentlemen who I've had many chats with behind the scenes, and I'm glad to finally get him on. He's the host of the All Star super Fan podcast, one of the hosts of that, and it is my friend Alan Beck. Alan, Welcome to the Twilight Zone Podcast.
Speaker 3: Hi Tom, it's such a privilege to be here. I am over the moon. Thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 1: So before we get into the comic tonight, let's speak a bit about you and your podcast, Alan tell tell us a bit about it, because it's one that I've come to really quite enjoy over the past couple of years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we myself and Rab, Rob and I have the All Star super Fan podcast, which is a podcast that explores the full tapestry, if you will, of the Man of Steel's history and legacy. So we speak to everything from the comic books to the movies, to the old time serials, current TV shows, past TV shows. We interview actors from the movies, directors, animators, comic book writers, and we've been going there for just touching on five years now and we're having an absolute blast with absolutely loved run a little bit of a high. Issis at the moment. I'm quite busy with work and Rob is headlining a musical Believe it or Not, Wow, and he's getting married shortly, so we're taking a little bit of a break, but we have quite an extensive catalog there and we'll be back recording pretty soon, so I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: I can sympathize completely, you know, listening to the Twilight Zone podcast. Now, how spotty my schedule is on this, but you know, you've got to live your life having you allegedly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would just like to point out that all my favorite episodes of the All Star super Fan podcast I'm on, so make sure that you go check those out first.
Speaker 3: Do you have to check out our Twilight On special in which Tom featured there last October? That was That was That was a lot of fun. It was definitely my book list for a long time to do a Serling esque intro.
Speaker 1: So that was great, Greg, Yeah, it was good fun. Before we carry on, let's just name drop a couple of names that you've had on there, because I've really been impressed by the roster of Superman guests that you've had on over the years. So just tell us a couple of people.
Speaker 4: Oh, we've had who have we had?
Speaker 5: Zach?
Speaker 3: We've had iliasal Kind, the producer of the original Superman movies. We've had Jack O'Halleran, who played non and Superman the Movie and Superman two. We've had Mark Millow who played nuclear Man, Gerard Christopher and John Newton, both who played super Boys in the old Superboy TV series. We've had writers like Dan Jurgens, Mark Wade. We've had Marv Wolfman was a great one we got on a few years ago to talk about the Ruby Spears Superman. So, yeah, we've we have some heavy hitters there, and it's it's to be honest, it was really surreal. I appeared many years ago on Zach and Night's mutual Friend Matt Truix's Lois and Clark podcast, and I enjoyed the experience so much that I contacted Robin said maybe we should give this a shot. I was primarily a kind of a fan of the movies and the TV shows. Rob had had much more extensive comic book knowledge than I did, and I thought that would be a great kind of a balance on the show. And I had met Rob previously through the convention scene and stuff, the Dublin Comic con convention and that, and it was just a great way to be honest, from a selfish point of view, it was a great way to fill in those kind of fandom blanks that I had. I was always kind of a may A fair Weather Superman fan, as you said, like I had read the old kind of John Byrne post crisis Superman comics from the late ladies and early nineties, but I had more so read a lot of the Batman comics through throughout the decades, I hadn't really kept up with any of the Sinkle issues or the monthly releases of Superman and stuff, so I wanted to fill in in those blanks. And it's just it's been. It's just been fantastic. It's it really has been. It's been a really fun adventure. Met great friends like Zach and Matt and so many other people in the community, and we do lots of crossovers with other people and stuff, and the community is so supportive and it really has been an absolute glass I have to say.
Speaker 1: So let's pivot to the Twilight Zone because I know, Zach over there you are a wash with Twilight Zone in America. You know, every public holiday you got a marathon going on. Yeah, it is, It's the Promised Land. But alan, I know over here in England it's it's very hard for people to discover the Twilight Zone by accident. What's it like over there in Ireland and how did you discover it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's pretty much the same here. It's pretty much the same here in Ireland. It's it's kind of of a non entity really. I think most people here would probably remember the eighties show more than the original Rod Serling show Wow, because that was repeated for years on different British channels and stuff that you could watch, you know, the Horror Channel and all Sci Fi Time and all that kind of stuff, and that we that we'd get here if you had cable and sky and that kind of thing. I actually discovered it years ago as a child, back in maybe ninety five ninety six. I was on holiday with my parents. We were staying with some family friends in France, and I remember staying up one night. They were all drinking wine and having fun and having you know that the French have these late night kind of meals that go on for six and seven hours, and I got bored and I went inside and they were showing it on the TV. And I wasn't really playing attention straight away, but I to this day, I guess, thirty years later, I still remember the episode. And it was season three's The Hunt, the one with the old man and the dog and he passes away and he tried to get the dog into heaven and there's a big twist at the end, and I had never encountered a twist before, and I was hooked. And while we stayed there on vacation on holiday. I watched it every single night, and my parents were like, why is like this old black and white TV show?
Speaker 5: What you know? Why is he so fascinated with it?
Speaker 3: And I just absolutely loved it and it stuck with me for years. And then years later I caught one night, late at night, I caught the Twilight Zone movie and that kind of look, we can all debate about how good or bad the movie is. I love the book ends to the film. I love that opening scene with dan Aykroyd, and that stuck with me in a similar way. I was like, jeez, that's that was really great, and that kind of those were that was in the era of eBay and stuff and Amazon back say maybe twenty ten, twenty eleven, when they were really kicking off, and I ordered the DVDs and then I just I watched the show and I've I've stuck with it ever since. Absolutely absolutely love it. I think it's one of the greatest TV shows ever made. I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's pivot to the reason why we here tonight. The new IDW Twilight Zone comic joining us here on issue three, which is called The Relic, and Zach and I were talking in the last episode about how this one, well, the last issue and this issue, same artist, same writer, and you know, we both kind of liked this idea of someone just taking the Twilight Zone and doing their thing with it. So you know, I'm quite looking forward to hearing what you guys think of this one as well, so if we get into it. I mentioned at the end of the last episode that I wasn't sure about this one from the first image that we saw of it, and the first image was like a night. Now we did have an American flag on them, so it's like, okay, what's that about. But I think even before that, I'd seen sort of promo images of nights and things, and I don't know. To me, the Twilight Zone is it's American, you know what I mean, And I wouldn't want it to be very far from that. You know, I love Australia, but I wouldn't want to see the Twilight doing in Australia, you know what I mean. It's kind of American folklore to me, and I don't like to see it via too far from that. That said, the way this story goes it sort of circles back, so it's like, oh, okay, yeah, fine then so it kind of works. But I mean, going into this, what were your gentlemen's YouTube gentlemen's thoughts on what we're presented with for these first few pages.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll just mention the intro real quick and then i'll toss to you out out of that's all right. I did like specifically on this issue an issue three. Uh, there's the again presumably the Rod Sterling narrator giving us the introduction, and then we see a little cigarette in a little last tray at the bottom, like a little hint of Sterling. Because we had that an issue one, we didn't have it an issue too. Now it's back an issue three, and I've just responded well to that, so I already were off to a good start there for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And think that's a really nice way to handle it. I think it's really kind of an artistic way to do it. If you can't maybe put his likely Obviously we'd all like to see Rod in it, or we'd like to see his his likeness and that, but if that's not something that's achievable, I think this kind of subtle nod to.
Speaker 5: His presence in the book. Is it is just really nice. I really enjoyed it. I really like that.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at these first few pages now and I've got to say, and I've got to say, of the issues that we've done so far, I think this is the best art work we've had so far. There's some very kind of detailed line work here, still very stylized in terms of the people it depicts. Yes, even slightly reminiscent of that first issue in a way, isn't it, Zach?
Speaker 2: It is? It is so I was like, oh, we drifted into that territory. But I agree with you. I think of the three so far, this is the best artwork. And you know, we get some great like just these opening pages, A hold, this whole battle going on, and then and then you know, to mention the intro again, it ends with because today the siege Lions pass through the twilight Zone. Thank you. This is this is how all these intros are done. You say, you say the twilight Zone and the intros. I understand, like for a dozen episodes of the geinning of the show, before they figured it out, they didn't say that. It's totally fine, right, but like, this is what we do now. If we don't do this, then why do a twilight Zone intro and out shro If you don't say the twilight Zone in the name, so I will die on the hill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I have to say I was very impressed with the artwork. I did read Blanks issue one for this, and I didn't like that artwork as.
Speaker 5: Much as I like this.
Speaker 3: But I thought this was, like you said, very stylized. The artist like he has he has a great he has a great talent for depicting the crowd scenes, the battle like that's that's not an easy thing to draw. It's very clean, the lines, very clean, and I loved the fact that they're continuing in the black and white. I really thought I think that really suits this art especially. I think it really works well for.
Speaker 1: So as our story begins, we've got two warring factions. I don't think we really know who they are or why they're fighting that much, but I don't think we really need to. But we we find that one of the factions have captured a member of the other one, and this guy says this captured one says okay, sorry, So the one who has captured them, because again, not one for names in these these nuds.
Speaker 2: You don't know when this is or who this is or anything really which which will become a reveal at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I was going to ask you that when you when you when you first kind of opened the first page, the first two pages, what you think it's like medieval times even pre medieval times?
Speaker 4: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like did the Knights go try to invade China or something like, Yeah, it's some kind of culture clash. You're not really sure.
Speaker 4: It's kind of gang as can area in something. Yeah, that kind of era.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, that that was it. That was exactly why I was like, I don't know, this is an American enough form, you know, because that you know, like I've mentioned that many times, but that is really part of the twilight zone for me, and I'm not sure it really works when you take it out. But we have this meeting where you know, this guy is captured from one side, it's really difficult to talk about it when you're saying this guy has captured this guy and he says to the prisoners, so long as you have high walls to do all of the fighting for you, that is and the prisoner says, it isn't our walls that give us strength, but what we hold within them. We are the keepers of the Word. We hold the voice of God. So again things are kind of ramped up here a little bit.
Speaker 4: I like the fact that the I'll call him the Gingers can.
Speaker 5: Character the capital.
Speaker 3: This guy, he seems very jealous or very put out by the fact that the opposing faction live in storm buildings behind stone walls and that they're almost looked down upon because they don't. But he's determined to to breach those walls and find out what they have. And he makes this he makes this fantastic point about you know, I think he says, there's eighty tribes or eighty factions across the land, and they all have their individual gods, so what's one more?
Speaker 5: And I really, I really thought that was great.
Speaker 2: Coming off Issue Too, I was like, Oh, finally, something is not completely a Star Trek episode that I've seen before. We're kind of unscharted territory, Like it's even it's even less fiamiliar two because Issue Too was like, hey, the astronauts they go over to a place and land on a planet, like we've seen that a lot. This is a very wide scale thing that you haven't seen in a Twilid Zone episode. And I guess getting back to the point I'll make on all these when we cover them, like, could this have been an episode of the original twild Zone Maybe, I mean, but the only like they would have to show like stock footage for some old movie. And then yeah, did two guys talking at a tent? You know, like they could? I think they could have achieved It wouldn't have looked anything like this, right, but they could have maybe done the same points they were trying to make, just on a very extreme budget.
Speaker 3: That was something that I was hung up on because going into this, I hadn't read besides blanks, I haven't read any of the old Twilight Zone comics or anything. And I went look walking into this, I'm looking for from a Twilight Zone comic, a comic that could be a continuation of the show, or could have been an episode of the show. It's like when say, Zach and Mass do a hypothetical second season of Flash ninety on their show, or of the Aquaman show. You know, we could all write stories where John Wesley Ship meets Christopher Reeve, but you know that, but can that couldn't have happened in the show. But so that kind of pulled me out of it initially. But then when I read it a second time and I kind of stopped and I kind of thought about it, and I think, if you were smart, you really could almost almost stage this like a play where you have the two guys in the tent, you hear the fighting outside maybe, and then you switch to you know, the battle is over, you have some smoke and some dead guys on the ground, and you're walking into the temple. I think, if you really wanted to get it across, you could, And that kind of saved it for me when I when when when that realization came to me, I think.
Speaker 2: No, same exact thought, alan, same exact thought here.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did not have that sauce, but you've both convinced me.
Speaker 2: They did, like Civil war battles and stuff, just like off screen or just again like stock footage from some all the movie they could have afforded like thirty seconds of it, wouldn't have it would have been green all over, It wouldn't fit it all the rest of the footage.
Speaker 4: But they're great at that, even even in episodes like the Passerby, where you know, you have that that line of soldiers coming back.
Speaker 3: It feels like there's a whole army back there, when really there's just another ten guys. So I think they could have done this.
Speaker 1: That said though, and we've we've all alluded to it so far. This artist does scale beautifully. Yeah, and there's a shot here. It's at the White House. Sac I don't know the page number because I'm looking at it digitally. He's got sort of like walls and like fortress built around it, but there's a very I don't know.
Speaker 2: Pillars and stuff, and I well, because because of what we're about to get into, uh, it's just a it's a museum, right, so this is like the you know, American Museum of Natural History, Yeah, for example.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not the White House itself. So the Genghis Khan guy, thank you, Alan has is now doing a full on assault of this building, this museum type building, which again just really nicely rendered scenes here of the battles.
Speaker 2: You think, beat the heat, he says, and you're like, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: So they get in and they breach the walls and then all of a sudden, they are confronted by this really kind of badass looking night.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's the guy that says, yeah, excuse me, yeah yeah, stay.
Speaker 1: Cool this summer, and when the night turns round, he has the American flag on his back. He was also all thinking within you know, Genghis Khan times or whatever, but there's an American flag there, So what is going on here?
Speaker 3: I didn't actually notice the American flag on the night on the on the cover image, so this was the first time that I noticed the American flag and I stopped my tracks that point. I was like, where is this going?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: What is the lesson of this episode going to be, of this issue going to be? So I thought it was I thought it was a cool kind of mid episode, mid issue twist.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, they do these covers right in their styleized sometimes they could mean anything, right, and I didn't. I didn't expect to see this actual guy in a night cossume with an American flag cape, but that's what he ended up having.
Speaker 1: And then story, so they breach the walls and as they go in, they follow this night in and there's another bunch of knights there and they are all armed with automatic weapons, and they kind of just wipe out the sea of invading soldiers. But as this doing it, there's saying, all of these strange lines open their souls to refreshment. Let me see if you can find another one. Like you mentioned there was beat the heat and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: My long summer has ended. My thirst is quenched, so.
Speaker 4: Speaks the word of God.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a bit of an odd turnaround, really, because you have all of these Nights armed to the teeth with automatic weapons, just mowing down these soldiers. But Genghis Khan manages to pick up like a gun. He kills the main Night with the gun, and all of a sudden, the battle is won. I was that a bit of a strange turnaround for you guys.
Speaker 2: I was a little confused about exactly kind of what occurred here, because because then it becomes the two guys again, Genghis Khan, and then they they're gonna keep calling you that.
Speaker 4: Where all the guys with the automatic weapons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they all kind of dispersed. But you know, we're on a budget here, you know, we can't afford all these extras. So this is an episode of the Twilight, so we got to get it back down. But it's basically like I guess he went in to explore, like, go ahead and explore the inner you know, rooms and chambers of this fortress.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So he ends up with the other guy again and he's transfixed. Genghis Khan is then transfixed. He wants to know because you know, this this captured prisoner has been alluding to the fact that they have this power, that they have the word of God, and Genghis Khan acts like, and I keep calling him Genghis Kan, but the Genghis Khan character acts like, well, this is something he's heard a million times. He's heard about all these false idols. But then he actually sees this real power and he becomes fixated with it and he wants to know, you know, teach me, teach me where this power came from, Teach me how to yield his power. And I thought that was really, really, really strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's when they break off from the group because the other guy's like, let me lead you to the true power to God, and he's like, okay, so he's gonna follow him. And I think that's how they split off at the end. But then I got as you know, Alan, I don't know how big of a Planet of the Apes fan you are.
Speaker 4: I'd be a die.
Speaker 3: Like I've seen the original two or three movies. I haven't seen every one of them.
Speaker 2: Have the original two or three movies? Incredible, there's five original movies.
Speaker 4: I've seen the first three of the original movies.
Speaker 5: I'm aware there's more.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, obviously that's the end because they blow the earth and the killer about it, So there's obviously nothing else after that. Okay, But but even more specific, even more granular here, even more in the weeds, Tom, you remember that like Tales from the Forbidden's Own book, they came out a few years back with all these short stories. There is a short story in there where like doctor Zayas and some other people they they they discover the Museum of American Natural History or something with all these dinosaur bones and stuff. I was like, Oh, that's really cool. And I'm not saying that saying this ripped that off. I'm saying like, I really like that concept of like post apocalypse just wandering into these museums and they're like yeah, and the knowledge is lost and they're like what even is this? You know, like I find that's so interesting. Yeah, because the guy's like, what is this, Like it's a dragon, you know, because it's a t Rex skeleton, And I don't know that that's such a cool just environment to have in the post apocalypse.
Speaker 1: I couldn't remember that story, but once we got to this point, I was thinking, beneath the Planets of the Apes, where.
Speaker 2: It's the subway, it's the library.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to kind of reveal the ends of this comic book story. Basically, the guy who is captured by Genghis Khan says, Okay, look, you know, we guard this place and it's sort of like a museum, it's a chamber of the Holy. He's using all this kind of language. There's weapons there, there's tanks there, even planes, And so I am getting strong beneath the Planet of the Apes vibes where something that was, you know, not like we all have nuclear bombs in our back guards, but we all know what a clear missile is.
Speaker 2: No, but no, as we get to the actual reveal, one hundred percent beneath the Planet of the Apes, but even like more absurd, which honestly makes it even better, I think, and that's how I feel about it. But yeah, take it away.
Speaker 1: But it is that thing that you talked about where if you take things slightly out of context, where it's like you haven't grown up knowing what this thing is. So there's been this break in society for whatever reason, and then when you go back to it, you're like, wow, what is this thing?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: So they end up worshiping the bomb in planets of the Apes, and these guys just come across this thing, and there's power here, there's weapons here, there is what should we call this a kind of I.
Speaker 3: Think it's a drive through speaker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it kind of looks like that, and it gives them, I suppose, a scripture of sorts this speaker once the guy winds it up and says, hey, children, when you're sweating and a thret and you've got to beat the heat, when you're needing that sweet healing. You've got to stay cool, you know, stay cool this summer, live a life of refreshment. So this really inanimate thing that we would just you know, not pay a mind to, has become, you know, the focus of the kind of religious favor.
Speaker 2: It's this gigantic like like bottle, like a soft drink bottle spokesperson slogan mascot, and it's you know, it's who knows, it's like maybe fifty feet tall or so. There's obviously some big display they had there. And yeah, it's it's it's exactly the It's just like the bomb from Belneath the Penalty Apes, but it's a soda pop advertisement and it's so upset. I've found it kind of incredible.
Speaker 4: And like that that but that that is a classic Serling trope. I mean it's kind of you know, humanity's tendency to kind of worship the very things that led to its downfall, you know, like it's it's that kind of jab at consumerism and stuff like it's it's right there you speak of, you spoke to the planet of the Apes. What it reminded me of was the Old Man in the Cave. Yeah, this whole issue reminded me of the Old Man in the Cave. I think that's season five, is that where you know, like that it's it's this old man turns out it's a computer.
Speaker 3: It's not what they thought it was at all. But yeah, I thought it really had Old Man in the Cave vibes. And I appreciate it for that. That's a great episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well then but then they don't all go like destroy the computer. I really liked that episode, and I think, but the build up is like very interesting, and then it's like it's a computer that's helping us, let's destroy it. I'm like, wait a minute, I don't understand. Good, good call there, Alan.
Speaker 1: There's a lot you know, this one really kind of made me think, yes, just to kind of ruin the issue for anyone who hasn't ready yet, I am one hundred percent saying, you know, go out and buy it and read it for yourself. This is a spoiler filled review. It says, in the centuries after the bomb's fall, when human progress hasn't just been taken down the rung, but thrown violently off the whole ladder, what treasures of our age might survive for those ignorant souls that follow. Will they be drawn to a piece of exquisite art to fully encapsulates the cultural footprint of our time, Maybe some fragments of wisdom from one of the greatest thinkers that lights them a path out of squalor and darkness, Or maybe something more common, a throwaway gag of consumerism dreamed up in a boardroom to catch as many thirsty eyes as possible, misremembered dayified and mistakenly placed on the highest plint amid the ruins of mankind's greater histories. A kitchy advertisement for the world that was here in the Twilight Zone. And we have another really nice rendered page to end that with. And I kind of I kind of love this end. And because you can, you know, I'm obviously going to be careful. I don't want to offend anyone. If you want to talk, if you want to take it as religion, a comment on that, it's there, if you want to have that in a much broader sense, you can. You can pretty much put anything on it in terms of how humans have a kind of need and a history of latching on to someone or something or some ideology or or wherever it might be. It's like, you know, we we can't exist without that that figure to to kind of worship or follow. And in this case, it's a it's a giant soda bottle with a speaker on it. And I think that's what makes a great Twilight Zone end. And where maybe it's not about one thing, maybe it's a so all of these things you can really kind of sit down and think about what it's about for you. So this one really wicked for me in that regards what about you guys?
Speaker 2: I totally agree. And you know, I was calling back to the Jordan Peele Twilight Zone, uh in our conversations here, and I think and I and we like that show, right, I think, But sometimes like the the subtext became text. I believe you used that exact phrase, and I think at that point, like, oh, you got a lot. This is exactly about this. I'm like, okay, yeah, I got it. Like, but but but these more kind of universal like it creates conversation, makes you think like different aspects of life, like what does this apply to? Like what are you doing in your own life? Like it's it's it's very interesting and kind of all encompassing, and it sits with you because you're like, yeah, like I could see us doing this like in a thousand years from now. Uh, but there's no context for anything. And and you find this this giant sculpture of a thing that talks, you know. I mean that's the fact that like it's able to you know, it doesn't interact, but it has words that it's. It's words that it says that the people internalize and then recite their cite them themselves. Like, that's so interesting. That is that is this weird inappropriate blurring of technology and history and ignorance. It's just so fat I don't know, and I love that it's something as absurd again as I've said already as this soda pop advertisement. You know, it's just the absurdity just makes it more, you know, I don't know, it's just hit you harder when it's something like, wow, that is ridiculous. But hey, you know, when you look at it from that perspective, some other things might seem ridiculous too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: It's it's a real Serling esque reminder that the real monsters maybe aren't in the shadows there. You know, ow need to turn absolute garbage into things.
Speaker 4: To be deified and worship, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like it's it's and I love the way it wrap around because we didn't really speak to it too much at the start, where the narrator is speaking to the pot. You know, you can have this, you have this priceless pot in a museum that's that's cherished by so many and you know, but we don't know that pot story. It might have been one of fifty pots that were made that week by a very low end sculptor who forgot about it the following day, and it meant nothing to anybody. And now now it's priceless. And like you said earlier on Zact like that, that is fascinating. You know, that is fascinating.
Speaker 4: And who am I?
Speaker 3: Who am I to I'm sitting in a room surrounded with Superman and Batman memorabilia. Who am I to comment about worshiping things I don't know.
Speaker 2: Worship this Superman figures, figure of great power importance in the twenty first century.
Speaker 4: But it is a fascinating question. You know, two thousand years from now, when we're all long gone, what will you know what will be discovered buried in the ground that will become some day fied object. It's a fascinating question. And it's only from our perspective where we see it, where we see it and view it as being silly because we know what that thing is. Yeah, but it's yeah, it's I really enjoyed this, guys.
Speaker 5: I thought it was I thought it was really good.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what they're going to find in two thousand years, Alan, I'm going to be burying recordings of the Twilight Zone podcast and they'll dig it up and they'll be like, what's he talking about? And I'm like, we don't know, but it's amazing.
Speaker 4: We have we have we have the DVDs, but no player to play them on.
Speaker 2: Sacred texts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think this has been the best one so far personally. I know you haven't read the second one yet, Alan, but I think I would probably rank this one first, then blanks and then.
Speaker 2: A big app and then the second one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I mean got to be sad.
Speaker 2: I suppose No, I agree. I think once like I kind of like wrapped my head around like the artwork again, because it was it was it was, you know, drifting towards the the kind of same artwork as the first issue, like you mentioned that Alan earlier. Yeah, and uh and The'm like, okay, okay, could this be an episode? Yeah? Then we kind of like justified it. You know, I'm glad we will, Mitch you Tom that this could have been an episode of They if they shoot it just the right way and take it just the right approach to it and I think ultimately into the wrapper of the setup and payoff of like, because sometimes these intros can be lazy and it's like, oh, oh, we gotta I guess we gotta say like an intro because that's what they did on the Twilight Zone, right, Okay, here it is you know issue too, I was very critical of, like those don't connect at all. This is like a perfect like the wrapping back around Alan. You were talking about the pot, like one man's trash as another man's, you know, deity apparently. Yeah, and those are just interesting concepts. And I really enjoyed this one, and it had, you know, it had something to say. And I think the key is is with all this stuff, right, these are these are parables, right, They're they're anecdotes. So I had I don't know exactly what it was saying. It probably doesn't even have an exact message per se, but it had something to say and then you yourself kind of find the meaning in that, and I think that's a good storytelling.
Speaker 3: Even though I thought this was good, I did, like I said, it did remind me of the old man in the Cave. And I'm kind of hoping that what is it? Is it a six issue run five, six issue run five, so it's only two left. I'm hoping that as the issues progress that we see kind of you know, I just want them to kind of replay the hits. I'd like to see something a little bit, a little bit further out there and stuff.
Speaker 2: But you don't like a story on an airplane. All.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, it's I have to say I enjoyed Blanks, but I thought this was This was definitely the best of the two anyway that I've read so far.
Speaker 1: And despite my initial reservations, this isn't America. What are they doing? It all comes around if they can tell a story on such a different canvas but it's still in America.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's it's very strange because I think I think that what the Twilight Zone really needs, you know, forget about Jordan Peel and stuff, forget about the eight show, forget about the Tales and show Forrest Whitaker. What it needs is like the CSI treatment. You need Twilight Twilight Zone, UK.
Speaker 4: Twilight z on London, Twilights and Texas special Victims the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: Do it just have fun? Run with the concept right Because of the more of this stuffy. I think that's, you know, to get into the deeper discussion about or wider discussion about the Twilight Zone. I think part of why everybody is Tom knows more than anyone. People are so precious, so precious about the Twilight Zone, what it is and when it isn't. It's like, you know, if they just made a whole lot of it, you'd probably like accept maybe more than you than you would otherwise I don't or maybe not.
Speaker 4: It's not really working for Star Treks ex.
Speaker 5: So I.
Speaker 2: Am one of those people when it comes to Star Treks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this has been a lot of fun. I'm so glad we could do this, and I'm so glad we had an issue that we all agreed on. So gentlemen, I would love to have you back for issue four and five if we can figure that out.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely, that'd be fantastic. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Be great, so Alan, thank you for joining us. And where can we find your podcast again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're we're available All Stars super Fan podcast. It's available on all good podcasting platforms and we're also on Instagram at all Stars super Fan. On Facebook, we're in the inside All Stars Super Fun Facebook group. It's great, a little community. There have bout two hundred people there where we chat about, you know, all the kind of latest news and topics in relation to Superman and the Man of Steel and comic books in general and stuff. But yeah, we're available on all good podcasting platforms and we'll have some new episodes coming down in the next one.
Speaker 1: Great stuff, Zach, what about you?
Speaker 5: You mine?
Speaker 2: Well? Always one Smallville. We finished our episode by episode coverage, but we're curling in a project I'm calling Smallville the Ultimate Season. We're going through every episode number of every season and determining the ultimate season of Smallville. We talk about all the episode ones across the ten seasons, all the episode twos across the ten seasons, et cetera, et cetera. It's a fun way to kind of look back at the show. We have a lot of voices you've heard before and new voices and panels and having a good time just determining the ultimate season of Smallville. If you were gonna watch, you know, twenty two episodes, these are the twenty two to watch, so stay tune of that. And yeah, I just got to say it's been great. Oh always Mallville with one s on social media. Everybody and no Tom, thanks for having me back on the talking more comics, and so great to talk to Alan on here as well. We're big fans of your show and how I've been We've been on each other's show. I've been on all of you guys shows separately and together now It's it's really fun. And to Allen's point earlier about the community of these podcasters, like to me, that's part of the fun of it. To us, you know, we listen to our other shows and our own shows and they were able to cross over and sometimes our fandoms you know, have this Vinn diagram and for us three year you know, we love the Twilight Zone. So really fun to talk to both of you guys about this together.
Speaker 3: And I just want to say before I finish up, thanks to Zach, because it wasn't for Zach, I wouldn't have found the Twilight on podcast. It was Zach who recommended it to me about five years ago, and I listened to like fifteen years worth in about three weeks. So thank you very much, Zach, and I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be absolutely I love bringing people together. I'm Jesse Eisenberg's lex luthor Allen you know this, so.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 1: Well, gentlemen, it's been a pleasure, and we will country that on in the next two episodes, where we look at issues four and five off the IDW comic Now people are thinking, Tom when you're getting back to the Twilight Zone Podcast proper about the episode, and it's common, folks, it's coming. It's been a busy time. I'm currently working on the audio book of the Twilight Rounds, which is Christopher Benedict's walk about Rod Saling and his boxing stories and his boxing experience, and I'm really enjoying that process, and once that is finished, we will get back to the Twilight Zone proper, so that won't be too long in the future. But in the meantime, I think these comic book issues are a nicer little way of just keeping things ticking over and seeing what else is going on in Twilight Zone media. So we will catch you next time here on the Twilight Zone Podcast. By for Now