Speaker 1: Welcome to Financial Issues, where we help you steward faithfully by honoring God with your investments. Now listen in as we give you the practical tools and advice you need to become a biblically responsible investor.
Speaker 2: This is Financial Issues, where we help you defund darkness and fund the light by investing with God. Biblical integrity. Great to have you today on the show, folks. Today's show, we're going to talk about this. If the founder of a company holds beliefs that we'll just say are rather suspect or weird or interesting or maybe evil, does that make the company dirty? Not biblically responsible. We'll discuss in just a moment. Seth Udinski here with you. Sam Case, your host, Mark Manilla. The gang's all here.
Speaker 3: Mark, ready for another show, brother. Excited to have you.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Good morning, everyone.
Speaker 3: And excited to have you all as well today, folks.
Speaker 5: Hey, give us a call.
Speaker 3: The number is 610-363-1110.
Speaker 2: That's how you join the live broadcast. If you've got questions, we got answers. Again, the number 610-363-1110. So our topic of the day, guys, centers around a question from Katie.
Speaker 3: She's a partner. She's asking a great question. Here's how it goes.
Speaker 2: Peter Thiel, now for those who don't know, Peter Thiel is the founder of Palantir, views transhumanism as a movement that seeks to radically transform humanity, which he believes aligns with certain aspects of Christian theology. He argues that while transhumanism focuses on changing the body, it also requires a transformation of the soul and the whole self, suggesting a deeper connection to Christian ideals of human potential and resurrection. My question is, why is Palantir on the biblically responsible list because of this. Sam, you want to give us some context here of what Peter Thiel has said about this idea of transhumanism?
Speaker 5: Sure, sure.
Speaker 6: It's a really interesting and kind of nuanced conversation. How much do you want me to go into it? Just do a deep dive? Yeah, go for it.
Speaker 5: Go for it. What do you think, Mark? Okay, so we got Peter Thiel here. He's kind of this.
Speaker 6: really interesting libertarian-esque venture capitalist. He's been involved in so many different companies like Meta, PayPal, but today we're talking about Palantir. He's one of the five co-founders, and he serves as the chairman of the board of directors. So that's Peter Thiel. Now we're talking about his idea connected to transhumanism. And what this is, is basically a philosophy that we can use technology and science to expand the limitations and weaknesses of humanity, kind of go beyond those limitations. And in the more extreme versions of it, maybe even transcend humanity itself becomes something that's post-human. So that could be good or bad, right? So you could see a world where it helps cure diseases. Maybe you lose an eyeball, you get a robot eye in its place. That's kind of cool. But then there's the really, really, really evil sci-fi version of that where we're using eugenics to create something other than humans.
Speaker 5: So what does Peter Thiel think about this? He's kind of mixed.
Speaker 6: He thinks this can be a good thing, but he does recognize that it can be a really, really dark thing as well, and has suggested that some might be tempted to view it as a replacement of Christianity because it does, in a way, promise new, perfect bodies, but he ultimately says it's insufficient. He said, quote, the critique Orthodox Christianity has of transhumanism... is these things don't go far enough. Transhumanism is just changing your body, but you also need to transform your soul. You need to transform your whole self. He went on to say the transhumanists are not ambitious enough. From a Christian point of view, these people are not ambitious enough. So I guess the question would be, is he saying the transhumanists need to be more ambitious, or is he just saying, hey, there are limits to what this technology can do? And that's the whole controversy in a nutshell.
Speaker 3: So, Mark, what do you think with beliefs like that?
Speaker 2: Does that make a company like Palantir one that is not biblically responsible if those beliefs are even nefarious? And we can see some of them are and some of them, you know, you can kind of see where he's coming from. But, Mark, what do you think about all this?
Speaker 4: Well, let's let's pull this in a bit here.
Speaker 7: We just spent a couple of minutes talking about what some guy ponders about and and how that applies to his companies. I haven't seen how it applies to anything to his companies, and I don't think we need to really worry about that. But Katie, the key distinction is between the personal beliefs of an individual associated with a company and the corporate actions of the company itself.
Speaker 4: I actually had somebody say.
Speaker 7: Well, Mark, you won't invest in Chinese companies because They're domiciled in China, and the CCPs put somebody on the board of all of them, and you say they control it.
Speaker 4: So isn't this the same thing?
Speaker 7: Why would we put somebody who believes that Christianity or Christianity what Jesus did by taking on our sin can be taken away and you can just be perfected through gears and IT. Well, no, I don't even know what he believes. Nobody really does, and he probably doesn't either, for one. And two, he's just another investor in the corporation.
Speaker 4: He only owns about 7% of Palantir.
Speaker 7: There's literally thousands, if not millions of people who own stock in this company. So he really doesn't have control over the company for one. And two, he's not pushing his ideals. I'm not even sure these are his ideals or just.
Speaker 4: Thoughts to ponder as he tries to figure out life.
Speaker 5: Musings in his diary.
Speaker 4: There you go, yeah.
Speaker 7: So I think that we're trying to impose something on him to begin with that we're not sure of, because he doesn't have, he hasn't filled out a form saying, this is my belief, I believe Christianity is wrong, and therefore we need to eliminate Christians and only put in robots and body parts of robots. But, you know, that's going way too far to begin with anyway. I really think that we need to judge a company by its products, its policy, its benefits, its charitable giving, things like advocacy and other corporate activities. Where is it giving its money and what is it pushing on society? I don't see that in Palantir here. I think the board of directors so far have done a good job of staying out of the woke-ism and imposing their own ideology on everybody who is a partner in that company. So I don't see it there. I guess maybe to clarify this a little bit, when we look at a company, we're looking at what that company does, not with what somebody on the board believes, unless somebody Those beliefs are being imposed through the company, and they have that much power. They have 51% ownership or 51% voting rights to do it, and they're using it for that position. When they do that, we would move on, just like we will away from the CCP, who hates America, who's trying to destroy us, and who's every company that they own, they control. They control, first of all, because they're the government, they put people on the board and they impose all the CCP agenda on every corporation that is domiciled in China and any that they can take over in the United States and have over 50% of the ownership in a company or influence in a company through voters' rights. And I say influence because sometimes, like Peter, for example, here with Palantir, Peter only has about 7%. But the way the stock is structured, he actually has a much larger, like 20 or 30 percent voting power. It's still not dominant. So he still has checks. There's still checks and balances there.
Speaker 6: And what if, Mark, so I could imagine a situation where someone is dominant and let's say they are pro-abortion, but they're not using their influence to promote abortion in the company.
Speaker 5: That would still be clean, right? Just to make a more direct example.
Speaker 4: What would still be clean?
Speaker 5: The company? The company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 7: If the company is not implementing anything of the beliefs of some of the stockholders, even the larger stockholders, it wouldn't matter at that point. The company is staying within the boundaries of those things that we consider biblically responsible. Seth, Sam, the three of us, out of the three of us, one of us probably will sin today, right?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Well, it's not me.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not me. I mean, come on. I guess I'm the last man standing.
Speaker 5: That was probably the sin right there, right?
Speaker 7: Does that mean financial issues now is a sinning corporation because somebody who works for them, somebody who is part of the company sinned today?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 7: The company itself is judged on the merits of what it does and what it imposes and what and how it handles the responsibility to, well, if we were a publicly traded company, to its stockholders.
Speaker 4: Mark, that's a really— Not by the individual sin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I hope for our listeners, and Katie included, that that can free you, folks, from the worry that we might have of wondering, oh, I heard this about so-and-so company.
Speaker 3: Does that mean they're no longer biblically responsible?
Speaker 2: If your standard, like you said, Mark, if your standard is perfection, you can't invest in any company.
Speaker 3: There's not a perfect one out there. They're run by sinners. That's the bottom line.
Speaker 2: But like you said, Mark, we're looking at what the company does with shareholder dollars. Uh, I think some of Peter Thiel's beliefs are frankly are cuckoo, absolute cuckoo, uh, but, uh, his company is clean.
Speaker 3: And so we.
Speaker 7: Can say, uh, from what I've read and what I've heard, uh, cuckoo or not there, most people don't realize we're already there.
Speaker 4: How many people have artificial legs?
Speaker 7: How many people have, uh, have implants, have mechanical implants to help them walk, to help their shoulders move, to help them relieve pain in their back.
Speaker 4: You know, right now, I read.
Speaker 7: An article yesterday, within the next 30 days, they're going to have implants that give blind people the ability to see, actually see, They've been in testing, and now they're actually going to do the implants.
Speaker 4: In the humans.
Speaker 7: So is that a bad thing? I don't think so. But I'd like to hear your opinion.
Speaker 8: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you've got comments about transhumanism or biblically responsible investing or anything financial, we're here.
Speaker 3: For you, folks. We'd love to be able to help you out.
Speaker 5: It's a variety show today.
Speaker 6: It is.
Speaker 3: It is a variety show. That's right, Sam. We're gazing into our Palantirs, as it were, so we can see across. The areas of Middle Earth. That's a Lord of the Rings reference. That's silly.
Speaker 2: Anyway, 610-363-1110. Folks, today's show brought to you in part by Samaritan Ministries. If you want to get off the rat race of big health care and join truly a wonderful Christian health sharing group, Samaritan Ministries is the place for you.
Speaker 3: That's what we have here at the ministry. It's excellent.
Speaker 2: Samaritanministries.org. learn more about them there. Markets yesterday, guys, were down slightly. So we saw a sticky inflation reading, but really the markets were looking for still what seems to be their Lord and Savior, NVIDIA, which of course we all know is anything but that because they are dirty, not biblically responsible. But Wednesday's bell saw the Dow down slightly, the S & P down slightly, the NASDAQ down slightly. NVIDIA was reporting earnings after the bell. So it was kind of just a wait and see moment. And Sam, it looks like they did really well from what we're seeing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 9: Yep. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So better than expected fiscal second quarter stock jumping four percent on the company's forecast for the fiscal year.
Speaker 4: Why are we talking about NVIDIA?
Speaker 3: You know, Mark– Are they clean? Well, that's what I was going to say is they're absolutely filthy.
Speaker 5: But, Mark, it does– They're off the table.
Speaker 3: It does bring to mind a question, though. I think there is something here.
Speaker 2: When we talk about the markets and investors, everybody seems to want to look for a savior. It was Nvidia for so long. Now it seems like it's Micron, which also is not clean, by the way. They're also filthy. Why is that, Mark? Why do investors just love to kind of put all their hopes on one specific stock or maybe one sector and just ride or die that sector? And if it goes up, everybody celebrates. Some people don't celebrate because they're like, it didn't go up enough. I wanted it to go up more.
Speaker 3: Why does that happen?
Speaker 4: Well, here's my concern.
Speaker 7: Anytime we talk about a stock that is dirty and we use it as a weather vane for the market or anything else, we are endorsing that company completely.
Speaker 4: We are promoting that company, and I believe.
Speaker 7: That if it's off the table, we really shouldn't be discussing it that much. We should find whatever clean version of that or clean, biblically responsible leader in that industry is and utilize that. That's the way my mind thinks. Now, I know we don't just totally ignore the rest of the world.
Speaker 4: We're in the world. We're not of the world. I get that.
Speaker 7: But we got to be very careful because we're programming our brains to fall into all the things the secularists want us to. We have 692,000 different news things talking about the stock, and none of us who are involved in honoring God want to have anything to do with it, so why would I spend my brain space on it? God calls us to be focused on those things that are right, that are pure, that are clean, that are of good report, not on those things that are ugly.
Speaker 4: And therefore, I think.
Speaker 7: Instead of following the news that the rest of the world is doing, we should stay close to what we should be doing, and programming our minds with the purity and cleanliness and righteousness of God instead of buying into the secularism. And most of the time, the secularism is wrong. One stock doesn't make a market anyway, so that's generally.
Speaker 4: Why I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 7: Is it okay to mention that there's some tech leaders that are still going strong?
Speaker 4: Sure. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's a report on the tech sector. not on an individual stock.
Speaker 7: I guess I'm just kind of, I don't know, sensitive to these things. After 35, 40 years of preaching what it means to be a steward, studying and realizing that most people, even those good stewards, you know, the financial issue partners and people like that still are inundated daily with things that keep distracting them from being a steward. by looking at other things and tempting them there. I mean, if you had a child and that child was diabetic, would you daily hang sugar treats in front of them and tell them you can't have them and talk about how they taste and what they're doing?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. That would be wrong.
Speaker 7: That's why I think that maybe talking about things like NVIDIA is not a good idea.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny, Mark, is what you're saying there is exactly proving my point. I think there's a temptation for, and it's even there for us as well, is to look at that one shining stock to be our savior. And like what you said, the point is we have to have the equipment, the tools to be on guard against that so that we don't fall into the traps that the world does.
Speaker 3: And that was kind of more what.
Speaker 2: I was asking is how do we avoid the trap of seeing stocks like that and thinking, okay, I'm going to let my emotions follow that. I'm going to see, okay, I'm just waiting with bated breath for the next earnings report from Micron or for an Nvidia or something like that.
Speaker 3: How do we stay focused?
Speaker 5: Because the whole world's screaming it at you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, you turn on every, every single big, you know, your CNBCs, your market watches, all that.
Speaker 3: They're all talking about it, you know?
Speaker 7: Well, and again, this is one of those things that, what do we focus on? What does the Bible tell us to focus on? That's what we need to be focusing on. If we renew our mind by going to his word and then realizing he says, if it's of good report, if it's pure, if it's righteous, if it's, I.
Speaker 4: Forget the exact verse. Do you have it off the top of your head there, Seth, the verse on on what we should be focused on. Anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, yeah, certainly, you know, the scripture talks about, I think it's first, I think mentioned earlier this week, 2 Timothy 1.7, God does not give a spirit of fear, but power, love, and sound mind.
Speaker 5: Philippians 4.8, finally.
Speaker 10: Brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.
Speaker 7: And then in James 3.14-17, it tells us, What is wisdom from above and what is wisdom of the world? I think the biggest mistake as a steward I have made is by entertaining myself, by following the worldly things, focusing on those things instead of focusing on what God calls me to focus on. And because of that, it's caused me to stumble over time.
Speaker 4: It's caused me to be confused at times.
Speaker 7: And I don't want to do that for those that were here to serve, our fellow stewards.
Speaker 3: Well said, Mark.
Speaker 5: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 3: Mark, a question from Anne.
Speaker 2: She's saying, I'm expecting to get a distribution of funds from selling some property owned by myself and four other siblings.
Speaker 3: We're going through a realtor.
Speaker 2: What is the best and safest way to receive the distribution? And is it safe to put the distribution in my savings account until I can figure out what I owe in taxes? Mark, I was a little confused about this question because I'm not so sure how much control Anne has over the method of receiving the distribution. That seems more to be up to You know, whoever's controlling that, I'm not sure that it's her, but how would you help her with this, Mark?
Speaker 4: Yeah, who's ever controlling? We don't have that information.
Speaker 7: She did mention there's a realtor involved, so a realtor probably sold the property for the kids, I guess, is a.
Speaker 4: Good way to.
Speaker 7: put it and uh but it generally wherever you close at the the mortgage company uh the title company there's different ways they can do it i once owned a title company so i know you could wire the funds you could electronically transfer them or you could write checks there's all sorts of ways you could do it you should step up and just say hey this is what i want to do so um Yeah, let's break this down, though. And I think putting the proceeds temporarily in a FDIC insured savings account or money market at your bank is a good idea. How it gets there is between you and the title company and those involved. Unless, you know, I would really, if possible, ask the realtor to make sure or the title company to make sure individual checks are cut for each of you. I don't know your relationship with your siblings or whatever, but um that's best instead of giving it to one who one person and then having them divided because you don't want to start family feuds or something like that um if it's more than 250 000 then you might put it in in several banks um and there's something else uh When I'm reading this, it sounds like an inheritance to me. There's kind of an imposition in there that makes me think that you may have received an inheritance here. So I want to bring up the fact that if you did, you're going to want to know what that property was worth on the day that the person who left it to you, if this was an inheritance, was worth. Because Oftentimes, there's a step-up basis there, and it can limit the amount of tax to very little compared to having to go back to what the property was worth when it was originally bought. So I don't know if you all went together and bought a property or if it was inherited.
Speaker 4: There's a big difference in the tax implications there.
Speaker 7: So, yes, putting it in a money market or a savings until you figure out what the taxes are going to be is important. But knowing what the taxes are going to be is even as important. So make sure you find out how this will be taxed. It might be worth talking to an accountant or someone about that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Mark, should Ann consider the amount of money?
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's more than $ 250, 000, maybe splitting it over several different accounts so they get.
Speaker 4: The FDIC insurance. I thought I said that.
Speaker 3: You might have. I might have missed that.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: No, no problem.
Speaker 3: I might have been browsing through our chat, which, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, is just hip-hop-hoppity-hopping right now. A lot of people have a lot to say just about what we were talking about earlier there, Mark. So maybe we'll get to some of those comments later on. in the show. So, and it was a great question and thank you so much for that.
Speaker 3: That's, that's a wonderful thing.
Speaker 2: Uh, and that you're looking to be a good steward over something, um, you know, that, uh, maybe, maybe was unexpected. I mean, I certainly, you were expecting to get this, but I know, you know, the, uh, sale of a property, it sounds Mark like this maybe was some kind of inheritance if she's getting it with herself and with herself and her siblings.
Speaker 3: But, uh, yeah, great stuff there and really good.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mark, we have another Mark. He's 59 years old. He's got a TSP account, says the last time I changed the allocation was some time ago.
Speaker 3: And I'm just wondering to see if there's any changes to this.
Speaker 2: So he's asking about, you know, back in the old days, we used to have a TSP model, actually. And I think he's maybe wondering what he should do in terms of transferring this so that he can get it biblically responsible.
Speaker 7: So did you throw this in the last minute and 30 seconds of this so that I wouldn't go on a rant about TSPs and their lack of DRI?
Speaker 4: It's damage control. That's right. Smooth, Seth. Well, yeah, I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, you're 59, it sounds like, Mark. So hoping to retire sometime next year.
Speaker 4: That means.
Speaker 7: The allocation that Dan may have given you probably should be reviewed. You should be leaning more towards a growth and income portfolio or an income and growth portfolio, more growth in it, slowly move in that direction. It doesn't mean abandoning growth. It just means you need to stabilize that portfolio a little bit because you're going to be dependent upon it. And I'm so glad you'll be retiring because that means you can roll over that TSP to an IRA and start managing it yourself and honor God with it as well.
Speaker 4: So appreciate that. Hey, if you all got to go, I get it wherever you're listening.
Speaker 7: To us too, but you could follow us completely for the rest of the show at financialissues.org. We'd love to see you come and join us there and you can join the chat and you can join us by calling 610-363-1110.
Speaker 6: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 2: Folks, the stock market's just opened up and looking pretty positive as it was in the pre-markets, with the exception of the Dow slightly down, but the S & P and the NASDAQ both up nicely. 610-363-1110. Mark, let's go to the phones and talk to our friend Nelson Cullen from Louisiana.
Speaker 9: Well, why not?
Speaker 4: Welcome to the show, Nelson. Glad you're with us this morning. What's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Hey, we in the chat have a slightly different view of talking about NVIDIA or other non-BRI stocks.
Speaker 7: So did you guys unionize now? Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Or a good old-fashioned mutiny, Nelson?
Speaker 9: It just goes to show that as Christians, we can have different opinions. So let me kind of lay out what I'm thinking about this. The fact that you mentioned NVIDIA, Apple, Meta, Microsoft, the list goes on and on. How many You know, how many non-BRI companies are there that affect the market? But let's talk about NVIDIA. They're $ 5 trillion. All my tech stocks are going to react to what happens to NVIDIA in earnings. I actually watched after the closed coverage of it last night just because I have a lot of tech stocks. So you're not endorsing it if you bring it up as a topic of discussion, especially, Mark, you immediately... said, hey, it's not BRI, we're not invested in it. But I don't think we can eliminate from discussion every non-BRI stock out there. What do you think?
Speaker 7: Well, I think the endorsement is one of the words that probably either I or you misused, or both of us. I don't think that we necessarily endorse it by talking about it.
Speaker 4: But what I'm trying.
Speaker 7: To say, Nelson, is that we don't ignore that we're in the world. That's why we're here. God put us here on purpose for this time and this reason. What I am saying is there's an inordinate amount of coverage and input and programming of your brain from the media with all the ugliness of the world anyway. and that we should be trying to focus, focusing our mind on other things. I'm not saying totally ignore everything at all. That would be foolishness in the eyes of the Lord. We know that evil exists. We know that companies are made up of people, and those people do influence those companies' behaviors. as we were talking about earlier, and some of them have the power to use multi-billion dollars, hundreds of billions of dollar.
Speaker 4: Companies to influence society.
Speaker 7: In fact, I did a video called Rescue 1T that talked all about following the money about where our society is. Nelson, I think we're probably closer together on this than it sounded like. I was just given the opposite opinion because way too often we let people the secular world media drive what we talk about. And that does program our brains. And it does give us a lot of thought on things that maybe we should be thinking elsewhere about.
Speaker 4: But you're right.
Speaker 7: The tide effect on stocks is a reality. If the behemoth in that sector ends up taking a hit, there's a good chance, not a full chance and not every boat, but when the tide goes out, all ships go.
Speaker 4: Down with the tide. They have to because the tide's going out.
Speaker 7: But what those other companies are made of would determine whether they stay afloat or not, and.
Speaker 4: That's what we want to be looking at. So actually, when something like.
Speaker 7: a large behemoth like this company reports, maybe we should pay a little bit of attention to it. But I personally think we should be watching the title effect of any stock in a sector and how that will affect it. And yes, some of the larger ones do. However, we've seen in technology now quite a few of the behemoths being pulled back for the last few months while a bunch of the smaller and stronger ones actually are rising. So we have two tides happening at the same time. So it's not always true there either. But yeah, awareness, consciousness, know what reality is. But shouldn't we, just like our kids, just like we train up our kids, or we want to train up our kids, you know, they're in watching movies with foul language and blood and guts and we try and move them away from that or not taking in 24 7 of that or not being on the screen eight hours a day playing a shooter game we want to move them to focusing on those things that are that are positive that are good reports that that lead them closer to christ that's the main point i was trying to make did that make sense.
Speaker 9: Nelson Yeah, I'm going to partially surrender. So am I.
Speaker 4: So am I, Nelson.
Speaker 11: And that's what.
Speaker 4: Christians do, right?
Speaker 11: Absolutely.
Speaker 9: Because I'm looking at my Broadcom stock today, which has been suffering tremendously, like you said, with this latest kind of downturn in this technology area. And it's up a couple points today, a couple percentage points. And I think that was my real stress of this, is since we're a financially market topic show, we can't avoid the behemoth. So I think we're on the same page now.
Speaker 7: Especially since a lot of the other technology companies like the memory companies and the chip companies and the other companies are actually providing this company with services and products. So if this company stumbles, it will cause others to stumble. If this company does well, well, it's going to be spending its money for these services and products that needs including other sectors like industrials uh when we talk about ai if we have a major ai uh company stumble that could cause a lot of the construction of the data centers to stop that could ripple through so many things from cat from caterpillar to uh water companies, you know. So, yeah, it does have an effect, and we have to be aware and conscious. I just think that we spend way too much time following the secular lead on these kind of things and giving it too much mind space.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 7: We need to be aware, awake, conscious, and then move on to those things that honor God. I remember one time someone once told me that They were having problems. Him and his wife were having problems. And they went to counseling and the counselor said, do you criticize each other?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, we do. We're always criticizing each other. Well, don't stop.
Speaker 7: Continue to do that. But for every criticism, at least add a compliment as well. So you balance it out. In fact, you should have more compliments than criticisms. That's what I'm saying. is we should focus on the positive more than the negatives of this world. There are some very strong, big influences that we can focus on, as well as being aware and conscious of those that are just ugly.
Speaker 4: So thank you, Nelson. Appreciate that.
Speaker 9: That's a great segue about giving compliments, because you know I always do to you guys. Thank you all every day. And I was thinking yesterday, waiting for NVIDIA, I'm sorry, that.
Speaker 11: We walked out when, when we were given to see our non BRI snow, it kind of went sideways and down and backwards for a while.
Speaker 9: So God's timing is perfect. You guys are in tune and I appreciate y'all being able to listen to, you know, a slightly different opinion. And I think that's good for all of us. And my last comment is my portfolio is doing great. Praise the Lord. Thank you, Jesus. And thank you, FISM.
Speaker 5: Well said, Nelson.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Nelson.
Speaker 7: That means a lot to us. But also, you're in the chat there. And every now and then, I don't get to go out to chat like Sam and Seth do. I'm trying to think through things and having conversations with people. But when I go out there, I see somebody will ask a question in the chat. And oftentimes, you have a very strong, good opinion that.
Speaker 4: You give them. And I really love that.
Speaker 7: How powerful our chat is because we have people like you and others in there, you know, Justin and George and so many people, and these conversations are incredible. I wish everybody who watched the show could be in the chat with you guys because it's a wonderful thing when you have a community of people who love the Lord and want to honor him and are helping one another.
Speaker 4: That's what Christianity is about.
Speaker 7: That's what stewardship is about, looking outward, caring for others, and Our chat is just incredible there.
Speaker 4: Thankfully for people like you, Nelson. So God bless you, sir. Thank you.
Speaker 7: And thank you for calling in. You know, that's one of the things that comes. You don't even have to be a you just go out to financial issues dot org and you watch the show there. You get the whole show instead of half an hour. If maybe you're out on a out on a somewhere where it only presents. comes out for a half an hour where they only show the first half of the show, but you get the whole show. You get the chat, which has a lot of great people in it. A lot of funny people too, by the way, there are a lot of great humor in there. You get so much by going to financialissues.org. And then when, when you're out there, if somebody brings something up, you can start looking at the resources right away and say, Oh, Somebody brought this up.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 7: Mark had there's a there's a one pager out there on on a quick a quick assessment of a stock. Or what does it what what does this mean to have a mode around your castle? There's there's all sorts of information out there. So you're sitting there watching the show, enjoying the chat, enjoying the conversation and having all these resources at your at your fingertips.
Speaker 4: I just love that.
Speaker 7: Hey, we got about 15 minutes left here. We'd love to hear from more of you. 610-363-1110. Remember, we're brothers and sisters in Christ. This is a good thing. We can have difference of opinion and I'd love to hear yours as well as those things you agree with.
Speaker 8: The opinions and recommendations expressed on this program do not necessarily represent the opinions of the station or any of the program sponsors. Additionally, all products or services offered by the program sponsors may not be known by the program.
Speaker 3: Wonderful to have you today, folks.
Speaker 5: 610-363-1110.
Speaker 3: Do what Nelson did. Give us a call.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, Mark, it's not a mutiny in the chat, but it looks like they are unionizing, which is fun.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I'm seeing viva la revolution. So that could be scary. They're going to pull out the guillotine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now they're threatening to strike unless we give in to their demands. So we'll keep you posted on that, folks. For our radio audience and everyone outside the chat, Mark was exactly right. You have got to get to the Financial Issues Live chat. I know many people listen to the show and they don't have access to it. Financialissues.org slash watch.
Speaker 3: It's the easiest thing to do. It's free.
Speaker 2: You can join at any time. We'd love to have you. Financialissues.org slash watch. That's how you join the chat.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Guys, our verse of the week this week is really a good one. It's really more of a passage of the week. Matthew 24, 45 through 47 says, Who then is a faithful and wise servant whom his master made ruler over his household? to give them food in due season. Blessed is that servant whom his master, when he comes, will find doing so. Assuredly, I say to you, he will make him ruler over all his goods.
Speaker 3: You know, Mark, it was funny.
Speaker 2: You and Nelson were, you know, talking in that last segment there and coming together as brothers in Christ, stepping towards one another, even coming from places that might be a little bit of a disagreement. I find a similar thing with this verse when we're talking about, particularly the end times, talking about places where Christians disagree and start to fight with each other. But I think we can all agree that no matter what your opinion of the end time is, if you're a pre-mill, post-mill, ah-mill, or as I like to call pan-mill, it'll all just pan out in the end. I think we all need to agree that when the Lord returns, he cannot find us cowering in a corner, praying for the rapture to come. We need to be found busy working for the Lord, for the kingdom of God. with a sword in hand, as our founder used to say. And that's what this verse talks about. Mark, blessed is the servant whom his master, when he comes, will find doing so, being a good steward out there, spreading the gospel.
Speaker 3: That's what we got to do until the Lord returns.
Speaker 4: That's what we got to do. And maybe, Seth, maybe it's an age thing.
Speaker 7: The older I got, the more important verses like this meant to me, the more important they became.
Speaker 4: You know, that last lap, you know, you're on that last lap type of thing. You want to finish well.
Speaker 7: You just don't want to kind of walk into the finish line 20 minutes after everybody else.
Speaker 4: You want to be there. You want to be number one or number two.
Speaker 7: You want to be at the top of your game when the master comes home.
Speaker 4: You want to hear well done. good and faithful servant. At least I do.
Speaker 7: And I think the older you get, the more that makes sense. You know, you think you have plenty of time when you're younger, at least I did. And then you start realizing there is a limit to the time that we have in this thing we call life, time and space before either our master comes home for us or we're called home to him.
Speaker 4: And I really want I really want, and I think probably most, if not all of our listeners want the same thing. And that's the finished well by.
Speaker 7: Being at doing what the, the, our master has entrusted us to do utilizing his resources, which is everything, including our time, our talents, everything for his purposes to his glory. When he calls me home or when he comes back, that's.
Speaker 4: What I want to be doing. I hope you do too.
Speaker 9: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Well, Mark, I can say from someone who knows you well and I see you and I'm with you every day, you are doing that. You're at the age where there are a lot of people who are spending their days on the beach or playing golf.
Speaker 4: They are retired.
Speaker 3: And those things aren't bad.
Speaker 5: But I want to do that, too.
Speaker 7: Too.
Speaker 2: But Mark, you you came here almost a year ago and I can remember you telling us you feel like you're just getting started and you're starting this thing up again in your retirement years.
Speaker 3: It's so cool to see that. I hope to be able to do the same thing.
Speaker 2: When I'm that age, you know, to not to not just throw in the towel once you get close.
Speaker 4: You're doing it now. And I know you're not waiting. You're doing it now.
Speaker 7: You're pushing yourself to honor God. And I love that about you, Seth and Sam and actually everybody at Financial Issues.
Speaker 4: Actually, all our partners, too.
Speaker 1: Thanks, brother.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful thing.
Speaker 3: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Folks, if you give a call right now, we can squeeze you in, but it's got to be right now. Don't wait until Friday. You can call tomorrow as well, but call now 610-363-1110.
Speaker 3: Mark, you know what? Evan's got such a good question.
Speaker 2: I think we should save Evan's question for tomorrow just because that might take a whole segment, maybe even longer. So why don't we save Evan's question for tomorrow? about relative strength for tomorrow. And maybe we ask this question from Jane in Missouri. She's asking about Western Digital, which is currently on our list, saying, should I wait until Western Digital lowers in price before buying, or did I.
Speaker 3: Kind of miss the boat with it?
Speaker 2: Western Digital is one of those ones, Mark, those smaller ones that you mentioned that has really done well recently.
Speaker 3: What should she do?
Speaker 7: Jane, I don't think you missed the boat. Western digital is strong. Uh, they, they, they did pull back. Yeah.
Speaker 4: They're at a great place right now.
Speaker 7: If, uh, last time I looked at it, which may have been yesterday or day before, I believe it.
Speaker 4: Was, uh, midway on its 10 week trading ban.
Speaker 7: So it's, it actually seems like a very decent entry point at this point, uh, considering everything that's gone.
Speaker 4: On with it.
Speaker 7: Um, I don't think you missed the boat. And by the way, even if you did, no big deal. There's boats lined up out there waiting to come in. There's always another opportunity in the market if you're looking for it. So, no, I think, was it yesterday? It closed at about 468, 469, up about 4%. So it looks like it may have bottomed out in this pullback that it was having and is starting to rise. So maybe it's a good place. The fundamentals are very strong in Western Digital. I think revenue growth is up like 44%.
Speaker 4: It's just good company. I don't think you missed it.
Speaker 7: So I wouldn't sit on the sidelines waiting for some dramatic collapse that may never come. I'd be comfortable with.
Speaker 4: Beginning a position.
Speaker 7: Maybe not taking all 3% to 5% at once. Maybe, depending on the size of your portfolio, you might want to– Every time you see a little pullback in it, add a little more to get to your entry level of.
Speaker 4: 3% to 5%. But yeah, I like it.
Speaker 7: I still think it's a company worthy of financial issue partners to be involved in, and not just those who already own it, but it's still on the buy list.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Jane, some encouragement for you too. None of us, unless you're Nancy Pelosi, can time the market perfectly.
Speaker 3: Did I say that out loud?
Speaker 9: Oh, sorry.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean to say that. Good grief.
Speaker 4: I think you did.
Speaker 2: No normal person can time the market perfectly. Like Mark said, it seems like it's bottomed out, starting to go up. But Mark, I would agree with you. I think if Jane's prudent about it, certainly get into it.
Speaker 3: There are other boats out there, like you said too, Mark.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the thing is, I don't think you miss the boat. I wouldn't pursue it aggressively. I'd move into it a little bit slowly, gradually. And that's disciplined investing. We don't buy because we're afraid of missing something. We buy because the investment still makes sense at the price we're paying for it. And I think you're okay at this point to be moving into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: Mark Ray, 70, he's saying, Mark, I've invested in Connect Invest short notes, which are construction loans. Returns are simple interest between 7% and 9%, depending on the term. It's anywhere from a six-month to a 24-month term. They're not FDIC-insured. I've invested about $ 10, 000 post-tax, it's a minute fraction of my portfolio, in staggered six-month notes.
Speaker 3: Is this a wise and biblically responsible investment, Mark?
Speaker 4: Well, I just like hearing it's a minute part of your portfolio. Congratulations.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: I'm happy for you on that.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Ray, um, since this is a minute part of your portfolio, uh, that limits the risk considerably for you that, and there are a lot of risks in this. And, and that's one of the things when you get to these alternative type investments, you have to be very careful about, um, And look at this investment, and I would not look at this as a safe investment or a fixed income or a CD-type alternative. It's actually an alternative investment position, and it's quite risky.
Speaker 4: Here's why.
Speaker 7: These are not CDs. They're not treasuries. They're not insured deposits. They are private real estate credit investments.
Speaker 4: And though the.
Speaker 7: Underlining real estate loans may be secured by first liens, which means... that whoever has those liens, they have ownership in the property, so if it goes bad, they can sell. The note Ray owns is unsecured. That means that Ray does not directly own part of the mortgage or the property securing the underlying loans. He has actually lent money to this company that then does a mortgage on these, but they own the liens on the mortgages, not Ray. So Ray directly owns nothing. If the company has problems, then Ray could lose money. If there's too many... defaults on the loans and they can't handle that, then Ray can lose money. There's even the possibility of 100% loss in this. There's also liquidity risk. I know he says six-month note, but there's no guarantee from what I saw in these that they will pay you back at the end of six months, that you can liquidate it at that. They have a lot of contingencies in these types of investments that say, if they have this or if this is in line with that, then we'll pay you back, but we don't have to at this time or whatever.
Speaker 4: There's just a lot going on with it.
Speaker 7: So, Ray, I don't have any problem with investing in these types of notes, especially if it's a minute portion of your portfolio.
Speaker 4: Because the yield there is good. However, the reason for.
Speaker 7: for the yield is because you're taking on a lot of risk with it. Just realize that and know what you're getting into. And just realize that we here at Financial Issues are so honored to be able to serve all of you, helping you be the best steward possible. Thank you for loving God. Thank you for investing with biblical integrity. And thank you for joining us today. Don't forget, tomorrow is Focus Friday in overtime. We look forward to seeing you then. God bless everyone. Have a nice night.